Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sorry if you've answered this before but since you seem like the person which the best grasp on this, how long do you reckon these games have been in development for then?

Also, couldn't they just be trying to be sneaky if they do add a patch? Keep the games hidden until they announce it? Nintendo must've known the games would get hacked
In development... well, I guess GameFreak decided to remake R/S as far back as a month or two after the release of HG/SS. Maybe it was planned for the fifth generation, but pushed back when Gen. V turned out to be a short one (which wouldn't have been long afterwards anyway). Or perhaps they knew from the start that Gen. V would be short, and decided to wait for Gen. VI. Creative input for the remake of Hoenn would have been a more or less continuous process, with the most important decisions taken somewhere in X/Y's late development (this would be anything requiring backwards capability, or at least addressing content that wouldn't be compatible, so the appropriate barriers could be put in place [such as the mechanisms preventing the Griseous Orb to be traded from Platinum to D/P]). Once X/Y was finished, they would already have most of the framework for ORAS as well. All Pokémon models (with animations), an engine to run it all on, overworld models, et cetera. The layout of the region and the main story is also finished already, and wouldn't need any major overhauls. Creating ORAS once X/Y is finished should be a trivial matter. They may very well not have started with it until X/Y had shipped, since most of the work was done already.

As for keeping stuff hidden until they announce it... I really doubt it. If so, they would have kept Hoopa, Diancie, Volcanion and all that hidden too. It makes no sense to half-ass it by having some of the stuff you plan to release hidden in the code, but not all of it. It's kind of an "all or nothing" scenario, doing it halfway would practically be asking for bugs to happen.

Also, I doubt we will see a "GBA Sounds" in ORAS. The difference in music style between G/S and HG/SS was significant enough to justify it (going from 16-bit beeps to actual instruments), but between R/S and ORAS it's less dramatic. The music wouldn't be that much different with worse instruments either way.

BEEP BEEP BEEP
NEW TOPIC INCOMING

Remember how in previous remakes you could set it so that the original music played instead of the remakes? Was that in both the past games or just one of them? I can't remember. Anyway, do you guys think that feature will be returning in some way?
That was just HGSS.

And it's funny that you brought this up, because Junichi Masuda was just recently in an interview talking about the music of Pokémon, where he says the following:

"The original Gold and Silver titles never actually got a soundtrack, and that was something the sound team kind of regretted. Red and Blue, Ruby and Sapphire, and others all had soundtracks, but there wasn't a good place to hear the original Gold and Silver tracks, so it was really a special case that the sound team put them in as a bonus for HeartGold and SoulSilver."​

The RSE soundtrack has been made available for purchase/download, so they only really have the ability to further their fanservice as a reason to input some GBA Sounds-like item.

I was thinking about it and came to a (seemingly) logical conclusion. With day 1 events now a thing for new games recently, i think it would make the most sense for the mega lati stones being events. Seems pretty reasonable. OR cards can download the latiosite while AS people get the latiasite. Sounds plausible.

On the topic of mega stones, and mega evolution in general, a lot of people seem to assume that new megas and forms will be implemented because GF has to. They have the capability and incentive, and they've even teased it with the cover art, but I can totally see Game Freak going another way.

Starting with the Lati twins, we already know they're going to happen, so this doesn't apply to them as much. My money is on an event launched with ORAS to provide incentive to buy it then, similar to Blaziken's event. Another easy option would be to release them just before as a form of advertising. My personal favorite option is that the Soul Dew now works as a mega stone for both of them, though I doubt it.

Most people are behind new forms or megas for the mascots, and the cover art confirms something like that, due to language used by promoters, but GF by no means has to back those up. Nintendo is known to fling the word "New" around like it's nothing. The most recent example is how they called Hoenn a "whole new world." I've already discussed the possibility that the cover art is just a cosmetic change similar to Xerneas's active form that only affects in game events like cut scenes.

Another popular expectation is mega sceptile and swampert, but these would be easy for GF to avoid as well. The main argument for these megas is that Blaziken has one, and there's always been a level of equality between the starters, but for in game purposes, that equality is unaffected by the Blazikenite, or Blaziken's inarguably superior hidden ability. Both are specifically available only through event, similar to many legendaries that are released without care of in game logic.

I still think GF would be stupid to pass up easy money that these would fetch, but they can make even easier, if less money by simply suggesting they exist without having to actually make them, and they wouldn't get in too much trouble for it as they are still giving us a huge service by giving us ORAS and they do have logical justifications for not doing any of the things that we've come to assume.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The only reason Nintendo said "A whole new world" for a remake is because it will be the first time seeing the Hoenn region in 3D. But besides that and a couple new potential map locations, it will be the same old hoenn everyone (should) love. Its the only way you could really justify using that phrase "a new world" although companies are throwing the word natural on foods like no tomorrow but thats besides the point.

As for the megas, I think its hard to guess for sure of what nintendo will do. We cant really go with what nintendo did in the past since they pretty much had no choice but to plan ahead back then. Now they could technically patch whatever they want. I think we should take a look at what other 3ds games do in situations like this. I cant think of any off the top of my head (will look around for one though) but if theres another game that has to deal with compatibilty, we can probably use that game to get a better idea of what nintendo might do for pokemon.

I've never traded a Mega Stone or event Pokémon over Wi-Fi, but I think that you should be able to trade a normal Mega Stone/event Pokémon. I'm not 100% sure, though, and I have no idea about the hacked Pokémon.
Yeah, normal ones can be traded, I managed to get an Aerodactly and two event Torchics all with mega stones off wonder trade, and there's bound to be someone out there on the GTS offering something lame with a derpy mega stone asking for a Darkrai or something.

Most people are behind new forms or megas for the mascots, and the cover art confirms something like that, ... the possibility that the cover art is just a cosmetic change similar to Xerneas's active form that only affects in game events like cut scenes.
I think megas or "proper" forms for Groudon/Kyogre, are more likely than Xerneas-style forms.
Notice how in the "Sneak Peak" video they look normal, and not at all how they do on the cover art that we've seen.
I doubt there'll be form changes in cut scenes and not battles, because what happens when you complete the story? You'll have seen the exact pokemon on the cover what, 3 or 4 times, then never again.
This is assuming the video is footage from a battle, as opposed to a story cut scene, but I could be (and probably am) wrong. It could possibly be a form change like Meoletta's or Agislash's, where it's only activated by using a certain move, although neither of those are quite as high profile as Groudon or Kyogre.

Regarding the "patching" of XY to add more content, I can't help but think it's unlikely, much as I want Mega Swampert... As I 'm sure has been said already, why would they only put SOME of the ORAS content into XY if they knew there'd be more. Why bother adding code for Mega Lati@s and not for Mega Swampert?
Of course, there's always the possibility that there's still more data(or lack of data) in XY that the hackers haven't found yet, but that seems unlikely, or that they hadn't Mega Swampert wasn't finished in time to be included in XY, but that doesn't really tie in with the development schedule that's already been discussed.

While we know Nintendo/GF COULD patch XY games again, we shouldn't assume that they WILL. Whilst the XY 1.1 patch wasn't the first time there's been a patch pushed, but the pokemon games have traditionally had to be perfect on release, so having to push a patch once to fix Lumiose was bad enough, then with the second one for the battle "prediction", I really can't imagine Nintendo/GF/The Pokemon Co wanting to put out a THIRD patch for a game that should have been perfect when released. Nobody's going to get an optional DLC (free or not) just to make their XY games able to talk to their friends ORAS.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like Mega Swampert (and other non XY megas) as much as the next guy, and will happily download the impending patch in order to use them on my XY game, but I don't think that we should put all our hopes on a "patch" in the same sense as 1.1 and 1.2 were. Why shouldn't they do a more subtle "patch" like an event that adds the extra data to XY in the same sense that the E-Speed Zigzagoon did. Perhaps another E-Speed Zigzagoon, you know, remake and everything... People (the non-hardcore fans, not us lot) are more likely to opt in to getting an "event pokemon" than choosing to download a seemingly pointless piece of software.

On a side note, I'm impressed how we can make a 29 page thread, mostly of useful discussion based entirely off 72 seconds of video footage and a single scan of a magazine in a foreign language...

Has there been any indication given in the XY coding about the new forms of Kyogre and Groudon, either Mega or alternate? It is clearly stated that they are "new" pokemon from multiple official sources, so surely, if they were going to put everything that they have in store for Generation VI in the coding for X and Y, then Kyogre and Groudon would be included as well.

I don't buy the argument that GF can't implement new Mega Pokemon or abilities this generation just because they aren't coded into X and Y. Off the top of my head, the hidden data in the coding include Diancie, Hoopa, Volcanion, Mega Latios and Latias, the Eternal Floette, the extra Vivillon design, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves, and some random Splash-esque move. Of those, Diancie and the Pokeball Design Vivillon have been announced and will be released prior to November.

We can make an educated guess about the Thousand moves, but even if we do, it doesn't really matter because we don't know what they're for, and we certainly don't know what their impact on the games is fully meant to be; they are still shrouded in secrecy, so it doesn't really matter that they are included in the coding. This would leave Hoopa, Volcanion, Lati@site, and the Floette, with at least one of these being likely to be released prior to November, the most likely case being so that it can coincide with the release of ORAS, and yet still be freely compatible with X and Y.

This leaves three options for GF already coded in for them to use at any time; three back-ups, if you will. This allows them some flexibility, rather than to forcing themselves to rely on a rigid schedule. For example, what if the announcement and subsequent release of ORAS had to be put off by a year. With the Vivillon's release going through June (although, to be honest, this is new, but even so, Vivillon's pattern is more of a gimmick than something important) and Diance's release going through August and September, they are setting themselves up to be locked into a release schedule that all but runs up to November. If, for whatever reason, they could not meet that deadline this year, they would be out of "OMG New Pokemonz!!1!" events that they could use without using the one that would be planned for the release of ORAS. By including back-ups, they save themselves from putting themselves in this kind of situation, and the embarrassment of saying "Here is a totally new Pokemon, but because we didn't plan ahead, here's a spiffy new patch to go along with it!". It would not be smart business for them to not have a Plan B, and a Plan C, and so on. Additionally, with the exclusion of the the Thousand moves, everything on that list will likely be an event in the first place. By having them pre-coded, they are saved from needing to release a mandatory patch with each new event as opposed to say, alongside each new game set.

Remember, GF worked very hard to prevent X and Y from being hacked in the first place. That being said, what better way to prevent information that won't have to potential to be distributed via some future event from being found when the game is eventually hacked, than to not have that information available to be found at all? Two patches have been released for X and Y already, and the concept of a patch for a pioneer game that is implemented by successive games has already been used in the past. The smart thing for GF to do, if they want to introduce more Megas or formes, would be to release a standard patch, and then include said patch in ORAS, so that if someone tried to connect X or Y to OR or AS, but they had not yet uploaded the patch, they would have the option to do so then, otherwise, be unable to connect at all. This isn't like Generation IV or Generation V, where the technology was more limited. There is already precedence of GF freely providing the patches needed to fix and upgrade the games coding as they please, something that hasn't been seen in the past unless it was absolutely needed, and it would not be surprising in the slightest to see them take full advantage of this capability if they want to keep certain information hidden from an otherwise nosey community.

As for arguments against more Generation VI Mega Evolutions, I can't claim to know what GF is thinking or planning, and it could be that we only get the thirty Mega Evolutions that are already known, and Kyogre and Groudon just inexplicably get new alternate forms just because GF can. But think of it like this: Generation VI is defined by two key concepts, the Fairy-type, and Mega Evolution. Just by this fact alone, and knowing that Kyogre and Groudon are getting new forms, which scenario is more likely? They randomly get brand new alternate forms twelve years following their initial release, or, they get new Mega Evolutions to coincide with an advent that the current generation is partially defined by? It doesn't seem to be that hard to figure out. Following this line of reasoning, if they can do it for Kyogre and Groudon, where not even two weeks ago, the community didn't have a clue to suspect them, why can't it happen for anything else? In my eyes, Sceptilite and Swampertite are very much a possibility, if only because Blazikenite is already a thing.

Game Freak now has the capability to completely hide elements that they want to remain hidden, and not have to worry about all of their secrets being found out, while keeping the gameplay consistent. I fully expect them to use it.

Yeah, normal ones can be traded, I managed to get an Aerodactly and two event Torchics all with mega stones off wonder trade, and there's bound to be someone out there on the GTS offering something lame with a derpy mega stone asking for a Darkrai or something.

I think megas or "proper" forms for Groudon/Kyogre, are more likely than Xerneas-style forms.
Notice how in the "Sneak Peak" video they look normal, and not at all how they do on the cover art that we've seen.
I doubt there'll be form changes in cut scenes and not battles, because what happens when you complete the story? You'll have seen the exact pokemon on the cover what, 3 or 4 times, then never again.
This is assuming the video is footage from a battle, as opposed to a story cut scene, but I could be (and probably am) wrong. It could possibly be a form change like Meoletta's or Agislash's, where it's only activated by using a certain move, although neither of those are quite as high profile as Groudon or Kyogre.

Regarding the "patching" of XY to add more content, I can't help but think it's unlikely, much as I want Mega Swampert... As I 'm sure has been said already, why would they only put SOME of the ORAS content into XY if they knew there'd be more. Why bother adding code for Mega Lati@s and not for Mega Swampert?
Of course, there's always the possibility that there's still more data(or lack of data) in XY that the hackers haven't found yet, but that seems unlikely, or that they hadn't Mega Swampert wasn't finished in time to be included in XY, but that doesn't really tie in with the development schedule that's already been discussed.

While we know Nintendo/GF COULD patch XY games again, we shouldn't assume that they WILL. Whilst the XY 1.1 patch wasn't the first time there's been a patch pushed, but the pokemon games have traditionally had to be perfect on release, so having to push a patch once to fix Lumiose was bad enough, then with the second one for the battle "prediction", I really can't imagine Nintendo/GF/The Pokemon Co wanting to put out a THIRD patch for a game that should have been perfect when released. Nobody's going to get an optional DLC (free or not) just to make their XY games able to talk to their friends ORAS.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like Mega Swampert (and other non XY megas) as much as the next guy, and will happily download the impending patch in order to use them on my XY game, but I don't think that we should put all our hopes on a "patch" in the same sense as 1.1 and 1.2 were. Why shouldn't they do a more subtle "patch" like an event that adds the extra data to XY in the same sense that the E-Speed Zigzagoon did. Perhaps another E-Speed Zigzagoon, you know, remake and everything... People (the non-hardcore fans, not us lot) are more likely to opt in to getting an "event pokemon" than choosing to download a seemingly pointless piece of software.

On a side note, I'm impressed how we can make a 29 page thread, mostly of useful discussion based entirely off 72 seconds of video footage and a single scan of a magazine in a foreign language...
A lot of people from here and many other forums on many other languages seem to want M-Sceptile and M-Swampert. So I think that patch will be downloaded by a lot of people.

And about the discussion, this is what happens when you remake a game 12 years after its first release.

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!
Not sure if it was stated before but does anyone want new gym leaders? I speak personally but for some particular reason I can't stand Watson,Liza and Tate, and/or Wallace(If he remains a gym leader). I never enjoyed these gym leaders. Do you guys think we will get new gym leaders, I could see a Fairy Gym developed in the region. Also, If Game Freak could some how make Dewford exciting that would be grand. I've hated Dewford for various reasons(little to do, a boring gym, and little progression in my opinion). Now I will admit the Granite Cave was ok, but theres always room for improvement. It would be really farfetched but why not add a Battle Tent, just something extra to spice up Dewford and make the island a little bit more exciting.

Something that I just thought: What will happen to the guy that trades Shards for Evolution Stones?

On the topic of patches, they could sneakily introduce the new features while claiming that its purpose is something else.

Last edited:
Not sure if it was stated before but does anyone want new gym leaders? I speak personally but for some particular reason I can't stand Watson,Liza and Tate, and/or Wallace(If he remains a gym leader). I never enjoyed these gym leaders. Do you guys think we will get new gym leaders, I could see a Fairy Gym developed in the region. Also, If Game Freak could some how make Dewford exciting that would be grand. I've hated Dewford for various reasons(little to do, a boring gym, and little progression in my opinion). Now I will admit the Granite Cave was ok, but theres always room for improvement. It would be really farfetched but why not add a Battle Tent, just something extra to spice up Dewford and make the island a little bit more exciting.
I highly doubt they would do this. They have not changed the gym leaders in any previous reamke and there are supposed to be the same old Hoenn we know and love, which means the same gym leaders with the question of Wallace v Juan. Also, that is completely your opinion as:1) Watson is my favorite gym leader2) Liza and Tate, IMO, are some of the most inventive gym leaders as they employ double battles, a major feature of the game, which no other gym does3) Wallace is OK. Not my favorite (better than Juan), but I certainly don't want him gone.I don't think that opinion is shared widely enough and I don't think there would be any reason for them to do this.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I doubt they will change the gym leaders unless they decide to change the storyline. If the story is the same as R/S or E, the gym leaders should be the same.

The only "change" of leader could be the leader of the 8th gym with your choices being Wallace or Juan (some people are thinking both for version exclusives or double battle)

Here's the whole post:

So, from what I'm getting out of this discussion about the new Groudon/Kyogre and mega evolutions, it seems there are two more likely possibilities:

A) New Groudon and Kyogre are mega evolutions. Argument for this is the fact that mega evolution is a thing this generation, so it would be only natural to see the legendaries get a ME to go with the remakes. The 3DS can also deal with new data in a better way than its predecessors, so compatibility with XY would be an issue that can easily be fixed. If two new mega evolutions are introduced, then there's nothing else in the way of a couple more, especially the Hoenn Starters.

B) New Groudon and Kyogre are just new forms. New forms mid-generation are something that has been managed in the past, so we know that won't be a problem. New mega evolutions, on the other hand, pose a greater problem and have been left out. A powerful argument for this is the existence of no unrevealed Mega in XY other than Latios and Latias.

Personally, B seems more likely. I can't help thinking that "yes, they've included JUST mega Lati@s but that doesn't mean there can't be more" is just some sort of wishful thinking. There are many theories against that though. Maybe only Mega Lati@s have been included because they'll be part of an event to advertise ORAS (wait, but won't the Diance event run until September? It doesn't seem likely they're going to have time to make an event that finishes BEFORE ORAS - and for that theory to make sense, mega Lati@s needs to be an XY event, so it has to come out before ORAS). Or maybe Mega Lati@s are just an unfinished project GF didn't carry on and didn't bother to erase (I mean, every ME has a pretty unique design, how come two different pokémon have pretty much the same just because they're siblings?).

I'm going to stick to my rule of thumb, though: the more far-fetched a theory, the more unlikely it is. Which doesn't mean it can't be true. If someone had considered something like a Mega Evolution back in 2012, they would've been dismissed as stupid. So yeah, fingers crossed for new mega evolutions!

Last edited:

CrushinDefeat

I highly doubt they would do this. They have not changed the gym leaders in any previous reamke and there are supposed to be the same old Hoenn we know and love, which means the same gym leaders with the question of Wallace v Juan. Also, that is completely your opinion as:1) Watson is my favorite gym leader2) Liza and Tate, IMO, are some of the most inventive gym leaders as they employ double battles, a major feature of the game, which no other gym does3) Wallace is OK. Not my favorite (better than Juan), but I certainly don't want him gone.I don't think that opinion is shared widely enough and I don't think there would be any reason for them to do this.

I doubt they will change the gym leaders unless they decide to change the storyline. If the story is the same as R/S or E, the gym leaders should be the same.

The only "change" of leader could be the leader of the 8th gym with your choices being Wallace or Juan (some people are thinking both for version exclusives or double battle)
Yeah I see what you all mean, I just would have enjoyed one or two leaders or tweaks, I guess its not so much that I hate them exactly, I guess I just want more of an improvement, which Im sure will occur.

Do you think they'll make the Regi Braille puzzles a bit easier to work out for new players?
Because fuck the Regi Braille puzzles.

Do you think they'll make the Regi Braille puzzles a bit easier to work out for new players?
I really hope they keep that in, however infuriating (the internet is a thing now). If only we could create touch in the games and make it REAL Braille.

Well yeah but make it a little easier to work out, y'know?

Though while we're on the subject, do you think Regigigas will be included in the aftergame?

CrushinDefeat

I agree lol, I hated these as a child. Everyone had to either guide book it or they had to google it. I think looking at it now despite the frustration its kind of odd and a bit fun to go on the search and attempt to unlock the chambers for the Regi's. As far as puzzles go I think they may tone down the Braille puzzles or will make it easier for players to understand them. Its not so much a difficulty thing the way I see it. Its more of how patient you are in my opinion.

Though while we're on the subject, do you think Regigigas will be included in the aftergame?
I think so. They've always introduced old legendaries in the remakes and the the fact the Regis are the legendary trio of Hoenn pretty much begs the inclusion of Regigigas as well.

CrushinDefeat

I think Regigigas should be included after the game, its fitting to have him after you've managed to capture all three golems. Perhaps a new chamber opens up, near Sootopolis for example. It would be cool to see what they can incorperate if Regigigas was implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)