Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yes because lugging around wiimotes and such for tournaments is a huge pain, plus it helps stifle the slight lag that wireless can cause.

Pic of the day. In previous games in the series, if you chose the red team in a team battle, your Mario would have been red. But now you can choose any color you want! The color outlining the characters will show their team affiliation.

This is amazing news, I just wonder what the Wii U version will do, considering there is no outline and we saw different colored characters the other day. Also, it might just be me but it appears Samus is facing away from the screen.

Sakurai's post said nothing about this feature being different depending on the version. I don't think adding in a coloured aura only during team battles would be hard to program.
This is what I was attempting to create a discussion about. The point is if that is present, something Masahiro Sakurai is hinting at but not stating outright.

This is actually somewhat disconcerting for me, as I feel like the team's aura colour will not do enough to distinguish them. I can see some easy mistakes being made from my team being blue, my opponent choosing Greninja, and in the middle of a heated, close-range brawl, me accidentally avoiding them because the overwhelming colour palette is blue. I know it seems like something of an extreme example on paper, but in practise our bodies will react sometimes without meaning to. We shall see, I suppose.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This is amazing news, I just wonder what the Wii U version will do, considering there is no outline and we saw different colored characters the other day. Also, it might just be me but it appears Samus is facing away from the screen.
As was so crudely pointed out to me it does iterate SOME characters, not all. I assume "handed" characters (Those wielding weapons who are known to have them on one arm or the other [Link uses is sword in his left hand, Samus has her gunarm on her right]) will not be reflected in souch a way. TheMantyke Greninja DOES look like its just been flipped, otherwise the tongue trail should be coming off the side facing the camera...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^Yes, but the part of it hanging out behind like some sort of balloon (seriously, not even windsocks flutter in the wind that much - is it filled with hydrogen or something?) looks like it's attached on the opposite side of the head no matter which way Greninja is facing. It looks like they're trying to avoid having to show how the tongue goes from "coiled" to "straight", seeing as that transition would behave a little strangely as Greninja moves around.

Maybe they intended for the tongue to just extend from the middle back of the head, so it didn't matter which side it was facing. I do agree that the tongue origin appears to stay true to the "anatomy" of the character though.

People were discussing how some characters just face completely sideways (like DK in the team color outline screenshot above and Peach), and it looks like Samus from the same screenshot will be the same way. A simple model rotation like they did in Brawl will take care of that and keep the right hand arm cannon the same. The sword and mallet characters probably will not mirror to preserve the handedness of the character.

Interestingly, they did show this mirroring in the Nintendo Direct, but it was very quick. In this case, it was Kirby charging up the hammer swing attack on the top platform of Battlefield. When Kirby faced left, he charged the hammer on his left to swing right, but he then proceeds to turn around and the hammer is now charging on his right. The effect looks actually very smooth despite it being pretty much impossible in real life.

I can't figure out how to link the video as an embed to a certain time point, so just go to about 19 minutes and 58 seconds in.

Thanks for that. Sorry for another post, but I noticed while rewatching parts of the Direct for fun (and hype) that some characters got a little flare-up after KOing another player. Does anyone know what's about? I don't recall hearing about it or seeing this happening in past games.

See here after Sonic KOs Marth.
Here after Yoshi KOs Mario, and here after Villager KOs Mario.

That's actually a pretty neat catch.

Odds are it's some sort of visual representation of points being awarded in Time battles. I honestly couldn't tell you what it looked like in Brawl/Melee, though, because all anyone plays is Stock :^)

There's a small chance it's some kind of new "juggernaut" mode, where KOing a player actually makes your character stronger or something. Smash could definitely use some new types of battles to freshen things up a bit, like whatever that 3ds adventure power up mode is.

This might play into the connectivity between the 3DS and Wii U versions. They were talking about transferring customisation options between the two versions, so the figurines could easily be the medium that allows for this.

This might play into the connectivity between the 3DS and Wii U versions. They were talking about transferring customisation options between the two versions, so the figurines could easily be the medium that allows for this.
It sounds like it would be easier having an option to connect to a 3DS/Wii U rather then to buy a figure to do so.

For this game, Ike's design is based on the hero that appears in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. His sword deals heavy damage in Smash Bros., so this design suits him very well! Rest assured, he can use Aether as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)