Pokémon Sableye

Status
Not open for further replies.
That gem.....will Sable have it's own version of King's Shield?
Unlike Aegislash and its Shield, Sableye seems to be holding on to its Gem permanently. So, most definitely a huge boost to defenses (and maybe immunity to status and negative stat drops - wishful thinking).

Stance Change is out as it must learn King's Shield and have a 2nd forme which it doesn't. Also been seeing a LOT of people suggest Wonder Guard...I don't think I even need to explain here how broken that is. Heck, even Mega Kangaskhan is nothing compared to that, and that thing won't be able to touch it.

Prankster is the most likely of abilities to get. I just don't see anything else that it can gain. But this is probably not the place to talk about it.

Bulletproof, Solid Rock/Filter and Magic Guard/Bounce are also all solid bets. I don't want it to keep Prankster since imo it's better to give to already OU viable Pokémon different niches with their megas rather than a straight upgrade.

I don't know if GF would give every mega ghost prankster... But I could definitely be wrong. I'm hoping he gets his own new ability. I would settle for major buff in defenses and unaware =P

I don't know if GF would give every mega ghost prankster...
Mega Gengar has Shadowtag

As for Sableye, I'm hoping he retains Prankster. Right now he has passable defense held together by priority will-o-wisps and Recovers. I've love to see him with actual defenses.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Bulletproof, Solid Rock/Filter and Magic Guard/Bounce are also all solid bets. I don't want it to keep Prankster since imo it's better to give to already OU viable Pokémon different niches with their megas rather than a straight upgrade.
Prankster's the only thing that makes sableye relevant. His other two abilities, Keen Eye and (pfftaha) Stall, are both next to useless. And we've seen how Magic Bounce is not a very good mega ability with mega absol, since it requires you to mega before you're able to switch in and bounce stuff.

As for the design my only complaints are that the red eyes make the whole design look too monochrome purple and that the animation needs something between the "small gem pulling itself out of sableye's chest" and "huge gem in front of sableye" part. It looks a bit unfinished.

Still a neat idea over some of the other "it just gets spikier" mega designs though!

A Big Red Rupee to be exact! 200 Rupees guys! Mega Sableye is loaded!
"That's just great!"

i wonder what colour it will be as shiny. maybe blue? some people were speculating there's a 'ruby' version and a 'sapphire' version, so maybe that's it lol.
it seems like colour of the rupee comes from the one on sableye's chest and back, and it's a teal/cyan colour for shiny sableye, so... close enough

as for competitive uses, mega-mawile's main power came from its ability. prankster is what made a 380 BST pokemon like sableye even viable in OU, so hopefully the ability stays. that said, i doubt it would just gain a new move as a mega (it wouldn't really make sense, but perhaps an existing move would change?). the simplest answer would be in its ability and how it would possibly gain some kind of defensive buff from the giant shield it's got now.
if sableye doesn't keep prankster, it needs a pretty awesome ability, and it probably has something to do with that thing

I'm thinking Stall would gain a new toy and ditch the Venu for the Ruby guy instead. If it retains Prankster, gets most of that 100+ stat boost in defenses and bulk, it can run a specially defensive ev set and have Will-O-Wisp for Physical attackers, and boom.

Based on how Mega Sableye is holding that Rupee as protection, its defenses are definitely going to get buffed and I would speculate at least 30 base points in both Defense and Special Defense. If this is what happens I might have to switch tiers because there is no fucking way I would wanna deal with a defensively buffed, annoying ass Sableye.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The thing that sucks is that even if they boost sableye's defenses by 50 each or whatever, it still has a measly base 50 HP, meaning it's bulk would have to significantly increase if it wants to be actually bulky (Deo-D has the same HP and needs base 160 defenses to be super bulky). Instead, I would expect it to get a defensive or specially defensive huge power-esque ability to not only be a counterpart to Mega Mawile, but also give it some sort of viability defensively despite it's abysmal HP.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The thing that sucks is that even if they boost sableye's defenses by 50 each or whatever, it still has a measly base 50 HP, meaning it's bulk would have to significantly increase if it wants to be actually bulky (Deo-D has the same HP and needs base 160 defenses to be super bulky). Instead, I would expect it to get a defensive or specially defensive huge power-esque ability to not only be a counterpart to Mega Mawile, but also give it some sort of viability defensively despite it's abysmal HP.
Rotom also only has base 50 HP and it's doing fine. Hell, most ghosts in general have crap HP stats.

Give mega sableye +30 def and +40 spD and you've basically got rotom-a's defensive stats with fewer resistances but recovery. And you've still got 30 base points to put elsewhere.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna be fire mons on literally every team... good thing GF gave us a boughed Defog to make switching them easier. Magic Guard Clefable might also make a come back-- being immune to burn and blasting Sableye with super effective fairy STAB.

Gonna be fire mons on literally every team... good thing GF gave us a boughed Defog to make switching them easier. Magic Guard Clefable might also make a come back-- being immune to burn and blasting Sableye with super effective fairy STAB.
As if we needed more reasons to use the Smogon Berd (tm). But I think these Mega-Ruby teams are gonna rely on a Hazard Setter, Bulky Defiant user (if that's possible, closest I've seen is asault vest Bisharp) and Ghosts to keep the rocks in. Between switching about, being hit by foul play and sacrificing turns to pull of a defog/spin safely I think most team would struggle.

Clefable is a great answer though.

Edit: God forbid someone resorts to using gimmicky sets like Confuse ray or some other random crap, I'd quit OU immediately.

Last edited:
actually on a new team i've been testing, i've been trying competitive Milotic as a defog "counter", it works pretty interestingly.

new tanky megas are always a good thing, my biggest problem with mega evolution is that there were so few good defensive options with recovery.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Plus Mega Stone means no lefties which is absolutely integral to Sableye's role. Which sucks with that HP meaning more reliance on Recovery and wasted move tempo used for recovery dents stalling potential of the original Sableye.

I hope Mega Sableye gets a new ability that drops the opponents Attack and Special Attack by two stages each every time they target you with an offensive move. It would make sense because he carries a big gem as a shield to defend himself.

GameFreak, please don't fuck up Mega-Sableye like you did with some of the other megas.
-coughcoughlolsolarpoweronhoundoomandbanetteandabomasnowjustsucklolololol-

Please don't ruin Mega Sableye.

:pirate:

But...
I'm hopping it gets a solid boost to both of it's defenses and offenses, and I wouldn't mind seeing it's speed drop if it meant compensating for it's loss of leftovers recovery.

50 / 75 / 75 / 65 / 65 / 50 ---> 50 / 85 / 125 / 75 / 115 / 30 (+50 to each defense, +10 to each offense, -20 speed)
All we can do is hope \o/

I utterly despise when they mess with my favorite mons. While megasableye is aesthetically solid, I am legitimately scared that they are going to houndoom him.

Best case scenario: defenses increased enough that they aren't negated by leftovers, prankster (or at least a non-worthless ability), and a buffed protect clone ala spiky/kings shield

I can't see Sableye making any speedy pranks while carrying that huge gem around, but idk if all the prankster mons are flavoured that much anyway.
Maybe the gem will function as a pre-made sub? Could be useful for a defensive mon, or any mon really.

And hey megadoom is cool pls no abuse :(

I think it would be kinda cool they gave mega-sableye defiant or some new ability that punishes/prevents defog use so that teams could have a spin blocker and anti-defogger all in one mon in exchange for their mega-slot. My favorite megas tend to the the ones that can play differently from their normal forms and fill unique niches they normally can't , so I'd be kinda disappointed if they just gave hime prankster and buffed his defenses TBH.

Personally, I love Sableye in OU. In fact, I love using non-OU pokes in OU to surprise people in general (anybody else ever tried Tangrowth?). This is mostly because nobody expects him to be as good as he is. However, I don't think he actually deserves to be OU. Like you said, Klefki is usually a better alternative. Also, Sableye's bad stats make him horrible at anything except annoying, and many of his checks and counters (now including Blissey) are common in OU. He's good, and without Klefki he should be OU. However, Klefki can do anything he can do, better.

Personally, I love Sableye in OU. In fact, I love using non-OU pokes in OU to surprise people in general (anybody else ever tried Tangrowth?). This is mostly because nobody expects him to be as good as he is. However, I don't think he actually deserves to be OU. Like you said, Klefki is usually a better alternative. Also, Sableye's bad stats make him horrible at anything except annoying, and many of his checks and counters (now including Blissey) are common in OU. He's good, and without Klefki he should be OU. However, Klefki can do anything he can do, better.
they do different things to annoy people
klefki has thunder wave, screens and spikes
sableye has will-o-wisp, taunt, knock off and recover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)