Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
Counters aren't really a huge necessity in a tier like NU. There's nothing bulky enough to consistently counter the likes of Magmortar, Shiftry, and plenty of other sweepers in the tier, so using that as a premise for banning something is irrelevant. All that really matters is whether we can check Sigilyph effectively with proper prediction or offensive pressure, and with faster sweepers like like Typhlosion and Mismagius threatening to OHKO it, this isn't all THAT hard. Psychic/Flying is a pretty awful typing defensively, if you don't have at least two Pokemon on your team that can punch through it immediately then you probably should reconsider your lineup. Weakness to Stealth Rocks and a somewhat mediocre immediate damage output hurts it, and while it does have a variety of movesets available every individual moveset is fairly easy to shut down for most teams.

also the specially defensive Xatu set I posted earlier pretty much shuts down every single commonly used Sigilyph set so I don't know where people are coming from saying it has no consistent switchins at all

Counters aren't really a huge necessity in a tier like NU. There's nothing bulky enough to consistently counter the likes of Magmortar, Shiftry, and plenty of other sweepers in the tier, so using that as a premise for banning something is irrelevant. All that really matters is whether we can check Sigilyph effectively with proper prediction or offensive pressure, and with faster sweepers like like Typhlosion and Mismagius threatening to OHKO it, this isn't all THAT hard. Psychic/Flying is a pretty awful typing defensively, if you don't have at least two Pokemon on your team that can punch through it immediately then you probably should reconsider your lineup. Weakness to Stealth Rocks and a somewhat mediocre immediate damage output hurts it, and while it does have a variety of movesets available every individual moveset is fairly easy to shut down for most teams.

also the specially defensive Xatu set I posted earlier pretty much shuts down every single commonly used Sigilyph set so I don't know where people are coming from saying it has no consistent switchins at all
Just a nitpick but Sigilpyh doesn't care about Stealth Rock weakness with Magic Guard.

Agree that the hardest part about checking sigilyph is its unpredictability. CM set isn't that hard to stop because of Sucker Punch and a lot of revengers in NU, but if you fail to predict its set, its basically gg because of its good coverage and stuff. I have personally got wreckt by that CP set a lot of times because just as dingbat said, if it gets +2 or 3 in defenses, its basically impossible to stop assuming you don't have two pokemons with knock off or a roarer.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Counters aren't really a huge necessity in a tier like NU. There's nothing bulky enough to consistently counter the likes of Magmortar, Shiftry, and plenty of other sweepers in the tier, so using that as a premise for banning something is irrelevant. All that really matters is whether we can check Sigilyph effectively with proper prediction or offensive pressure, and with faster sweepers like like Typhlosion and Mismagius threatening to OHKO it, this isn't all THAT hard. Psychic/Flying is a pretty awful typing defensively, if you don't have at least two Pokemon on your team that can punch through it immediately then you probably should reconsider your lineup. Weakness to Stealth Rocks (lol) and a somewhat mediocre immediate damage output hurts it, and while it does have a variety of movesets available every individual moveset is fairly easy to shut down for most teams.

Lets say you bring Typhlosion as the opponent's Sigilyph use Calm Mind (CM is, in my opinion, the most popular and also the most threatening so ill do calcs with that.) I'm also gonna have Stealth Rocks added in the calc as this is NU after all; Entry hazards are easy to keep up if you play properly.

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 208 HP / 0 SpD Sigilyph: 261-307 (77.4 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And if Stealth Rocks are up, guess what happen:

+1 48 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Typhlosion: 231-274 (77.5 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Now lets see the same situation, but with LO Mismagius:

252 SpA Life Orb Mismagius Shadow Ball vs. +1 208 HP / 0 SpD Sigilyph: 237-281 (70.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And:

+1 48 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mismagius: 196-231 (74.8 - 88.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

A good chance to OHKO with Stealth Rocks and one round of Life Orb recoil, which means your best bet will be to Destiny Bond.

Now keep in mind that I have been calcing with a Sigilyph spread from last gen (which I have been using a lot in XY too), but I know a lot of people who also don't really use max SpA CM Sigilyph either so lets just go with this!

But yeah, if you think that a Pokemon that makes a good majority of the Pokemon below its Speed tier (which is 97 Speed, quite fast for NU) and that the easiest way to deal with it is to use Pokemon outspeeding it (which aren't as common as the slower ones, AND most of them can't reliably beat it either if it starts setting up) is 'OK' because this is NU, well you are wrong.

Yeah, Sigilyph is a huge mon to consider when teambuilding and it's awful when you think you have a reasonable check which then gets obliterated by Life Orb Energy Ball or Dazzling Gleam or Psychic when expecting Psyshock, etc. It's an unbelievably large pain in the ass for defensive teams.

This Aztec bird always continues to surprise me with its varied movepool, especially for offensive variants. I have seen dazzling gleam for one of its best checks in spiritomb, energy ball for lanturn and shell smashers like carracosta, ice beam, psyshock, psychic, heat wave for steels, the list goes on. Interestingly enough, however, is that any of these moves can be certainly viable depending on the team you have. I would usually think that Sigilyph would have severe 4mss but a great part of its success lies in its ability to be unpredictable in this tier. Even the "gimmicky" cosmic power set can work wonders late game as sigilyph is usually capable of easily obtaining a few boosts when certain checks are gone.

I was just looking at my team to see what would potentially replace Sigilyph, and Xatu stood out, due to the two being able to run almost the exact same set:

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave / Ice Beam

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Giga Drain
- Heat Wave

Sigilyph has better stats in everything except Attack (which is actually a good thing because Confusion), but Xatu can pretty much pull off the same LO + 4 Attacks set (however, Xatu doesn't get Ice Beam). Of course, Xatu can't pull off the Cosmic/Stored Power set, but that set sux anyways.

I was just looking at my team to see what would potentially replace Sigilyph, and Xatu stood out, due to the two being able to run almost the exact same set:

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball
- Heat Wave / Ice Beam

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Giga Drain
- Heat Wave

Sigilyph has better stats in everything except Attack (which is actually a good thing because Confusion), but Xatu can pretty much pull off the same LO + 4 Attacks set (however, Xatu doesn't get Ice Beam). Of course, Xatu can't pull off the Cosmic/Stored Power set, but that set sux anyways.
I kind of like the idea of Swoobat to replace Sigi, with the simple set you only need to CM once and you can lay waste to most of the metagame.

Swoobat @ Life Orb
Ability: Simple
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Heat Wave
- Giga Drain

True it doesn't have the bulk (in fact it can die to a well aimed fart) or Dazzling Gleam like Xatu but that Speed and Simple can make it decent.

Also I'm all for Sigi to leave NU, Magic Guard and that movepool is just way too good for NU. It's not even perfectly stopped by Dark types thanks to Dazzling Gleam, Steel types by Heat Wave and special walls thanks to Psyshock.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking the opposite for swoobat, it might be the ultimate counter to sigilyph not running shadow ball or ice beam. With unaware, it would ignore all of sigilyph's boosts and be able to calm mind and roost in its face/totem pole thing. Not that swoobat is that good anyways lol

yeah sg pretty much got it all smh

One of the biggest points about Sigilyph that potentially makes it too good for NU is its great versatility:
Sigilyph can run a shit ton of sets successfully - 3 attacks Roost, 3 attacks Calm Mind, Calm Mind Roost 2 attacks, all out attacker, Flame Orb Psycho Shift, even shitty Cosmic Power if you want to be bad. There's just so much it can do and it does it all well. It has a slew of coverage moves available to it, including Heat Wave, Energy Ball, Ice Beam, Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse and Signal Beam. Considering that these are in addition to its STAB moves (Air Slash, Psychic, Psyshock, Stored Power etc.), Sigilyph can have many unexpected coverage moves that can catch an opponent off guard with ease. Sigilyph can also probably run a cool Tinted Lens set (though i haven't tried it out), but idk if it would be worth it because of the lack of Magic Guard. On that note, its abilities are just too sexy for words. Magic Guard is amazing, especially for a set up sweeper like Sigilyph, plus its weak to rocks otherwise. Tinted Lens is also awesome, as it just make Sigilyph hit even harder, especially against resists. Even Wonder Skin would be a great ability if it didn't already have Magic Guard, as the opponent is discouraged from using status moves as you freely set up, and even when they do they have a 50% chance to miss. Sigilyph's item also varies, and can mean the difference between an OHKO and an opportunity to set up. If holding Life Orb, it is most likely a more offensive variant, while with Leftovers it may be more defensive. Flame Orb can function as either. You also can't be sure that it's Life Orb unless you do the calcs, since it could easily be a choice set (as Soulgazer said, a scarf mon with immunity to hazards and great coverage is cool af, and specs tinted lens could potentially be good).
Until you're sure of the opposing Sigilyph's set, you're forced to make risky plays, as if they have a set or a particular coverage move you don't expect, then that could potentially mean that you're one Pokemon down straight away. Sigilyph forces these sorts of risks to be taken, and you can never truly be sure what the set is until you've seen every move revealed, because even a slight variation in moveset changes the way you have to play around it.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I was thinking the opposite for swoobat, it might be the ultimate counter to sigilyph not running shadow ball or ice beam. With unaware, it would ignore all of sigilyph's boosts and be able to calm mind and roost in its face/totem pole thing. Not that swoobat is that good anyways lol
Yeah I can apply this to pretty much any offensive threat faster than Sigilyph; the problem is switching in and not taking a shitton of damage.

Give sigi the boot, it's way overdue. Shoulda been kicked in that first wave of bans.

While you're at it, please get rid of Malamar and Feraligatr too, thanks :)

I have found that Substitue Pyroar is a very good teammate for sigi as it is a very good check to non-cro Spiritomb. It is immune to shadow sneak and wow and can set up a sub on the obvious sucker punch. However, it should be wary of trick.
A very big problem with relying on Pyroar to check Utility Tomb is Tomb's infiltrator. It doesn't care at all if a sub is set up because it'll just hit Pyroar through the sub with sucker punch and won't die to the fire blast

252+ Atk Black Glasses Spiritomb Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Pyroar: 178-211 (56.6 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Pyroar Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Spiritomb: 148-175 (48.6 - 57.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO

As you can see, if you've already taken a hit from rocks + sub you'll be KO'd and Tomb will sit there grinning without a scratch, or if you haven't taken rock damage you'll be 2hko'd

Slightly off topic from the Sigi conversation but I just wanted to bring that up

Vryheid

fudge jelly
Yeah, I made a mistake about Stealth Rock, thank you for pointing that out half a dozen times. Let me go over this though:

Lets say you bring Typhlosion as the opponent's Sigilyph use Calm Mind
In other words, you're assuming we A. mispredict and end up in the worst situation possible, and B. are incapable of bringing our check into a predicted Sigilyph switchin. Nobody said we had to be using a 208 HP spread either, you just made that up. Regardless, I can accept all of that, but lets look at what you have next:

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption (150 BP) vs. +1 208 HP / 0 SpD Sigilyph: 261-307 (77.4 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And if Stealth Rocks are up, guess what happen:

+1 48 SpA Life Orb Sigilyph Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Typhlosion: 231-274 (77.5 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Right, so at this point instead of saying "Hey, maybe I should go to Spiritomb to avoid the incredibly obvious Psychic coming my way", you decide to stay in and deal some damage with the hardest hitting attack you've got. 91% max damage isn't a OHKO, but at least you managed to lower it to a point that any other Pokemon on your team can finish it off. And if you are capable of keeping Stealth Rock off of your side of the field, you can guarantee beating it with Fire Blast. Considering that I didn't list this as a counter, however, whether or not it functions as one is irrelevant.

But yeah, if you think that a Pokemon that makes a good majority of the Pokemon below its Speed tier (which is 97 Speed, quite fast for NU) and that the easiest way to deal with it is to use Pokemon outspeeding it (which aren't as common as the slower ones, AND most of them can't reliably beat it either if it starts setting up) is 'OK' because this is NU, well you are wrong.
What you're looking for is not checks but simpleton counters- Pokemon that can beat Sigilyph singlehandedly with no prediction against the vast majority of moves it will be making from practically any set. Fair enough, I can find some of those since you apparently need them:

Scarf Luxray- can tank any hit Sigilyph throws at it, OHKOs with Wild Charge, doesn't care about about burn cause of Guts
Walrein- easily tanks any hit even at +1, can OHKO with Frost Breath afterwords no matter how many boosts Sigilyph has
Musharna- Walls Sigilyph's standard moves and can easily Calm Mind up alongside it, eventually winning a Psyshock war thanks to its superior bulk. Can even beat it with Skill Swap + Toxic if you're feeling trolly
Specs Lanturn- Tanks any move and OHKOs with Thunder, can even tank a +1 Energy Ball on the random sets that have it
Swoobat- Switches into any hit and can set up Calm Minds twice as fast as Sigilyph. Swoobat hits +4/+4 the same turn Sigilyph hits +2/+2, and can proceed to 2HKO it with Shadow Ball. Unaware sets can also counter it with a similar setup.
Articuno- works similarly to Walrein but needs SR off the field to work 100% of the time, can tank even +1 Heave Waves though
Specs Raichu - tanks a hit, OHKOs with Thunder
Lapras - works like Articuno/Walrein. I think we're seeing a pattern here
Regice- easily tanks any hit, even Heat Wave, at +1 after Stealth Rock damage. OHKOs with Ice Beam/Blizzard if you're running a Specs set
Specs/LO Probopass- Barely dented by any of Sigilyph's standard moves, can 2HKO with Power Gem even after a boost
Xatu (honorable mention)- Switches in easily and can pretty much neutralize it with Haze + Light Screen, allowing a teammate to easily finish Sigilyph off

"But Vryheid," you say, "Swoobat is lame, and how can I run my generic bulky Lanturn set if its not running Leftovers? Also, if they're running X spread with Y obscure coverage move, and make a perfect prediction on the switchin, some of these counters won't work!" Yes, yes, young Padiwan, this Pokemon is pretty dangerous- luckily, we have plenty of revenge killers that rip Sigilyph a new one even if your initial switchin fails. They just can't take being hit by certain moves as they switch in. Choice Band Zebrastrika, Archeops, Scarf Vanilluxe, Scarf Pangoro, Scarf Ramparados, Regirock with a Lum Berry, Dread Plate Liepard, Specs Cryogonal and Lum Berry Gigalith, all outspeed Sigilyph and threaten to OHKO it even after a boost (with the exception of Regirock and Gigalith, who aren't listed as counters simply because they can't afford to get burned twice). There are some other sets like Swellow who usually beat it or take it down the brink of being KOd, but there's a chance they can get knocked out themselves in the process. Another approach is to soften up Sigilyph with a Volt Switch from something like Rotom and finish the job with practically any hard hitting Pokemon with a supereffective move.

Finally, you can simply run counters to each individual Sigilyph set (the defensive Cosmic Power set loses to Magmortar, for instance, while the Life Orb set loses to Sucker Punch Spiritomb). This is honestly what most people are doing right now, and for the most part it seems to be working, at least for players prepared for it.

Now personally? I've found Sigilyph a lot easier to check in NU matches than Shiftry or Spiritomb ever was, but I guess that's what I get for running a Xatu/Spiritomb core (it works extremely well against it, by the way). I'm not complaining about those Pokemon either- unless a Pokemon is totally dominating every match they're put in, some "imbalance" is what keeps these matches interesting and exciting. Pokemon like Sigilyph give the tier flavor specifically because they're tricky to deal with, much the same way something like Mega Charizard X is very tricky to counter in OU. I like working for my wins, and I've NEVER found Sigilyph difficult to shut down when I predict properly (I usually do). If you don't agree with what I'm saying here then I respect your opinion and there's not really much else I can say to convince you otherwise, but personally I like the NU meta the way it is and I think it would be less interesting if it changed.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Scarf Luxray.
At first I wasn't gonna reply, but fuck it.

A good majority of the Pokemon and sets you named are literally unexistent on the ladder.

You seem to believe Spiritomb is on every teams.

Not everybody run SpDef Haze + Light Screen Xatu (what the fuck is that)

And yeah I probably shouldve talk about the calcs n shit better, but thats me being lazy as usual and not caring enough to explain entirely.

Anyway, sure Sigilyph can have its flaws (wow getting OHKOed by a Choice Specs Lanturn's Thunder) and sure you have your own experiences with it (SpDef Haze Xatu.), but in my opinion you need to be open when it comes to suspect tests. A Pokemon can have counters and be broken anyway (Excadrill in BW1 OU comes to mind (not trying to compare the two, just saying an exemple)), and not everybody run the same damn thing; I myself have been using a lot of Spike stack offense lately with plenty of checks for Sigilyph, and trust me, it doesn't affect my opinion at all.

The main point, imo, is how Sigilyph can make anything slower a liability (I feel like I said it a lot in here lately & time to repeat what everybody already said multiple times..). Stall is literally unexistent right now on the ladder. Sigilyph doesn't have a perfect matchup vs Hyper Offense; It has a fantastic one vs bulkier and slower teams. You are pmuch FORCED to run a Spiritomb or another Dark-type to keep Sigilyph in check. And yes, I do think Sigilyph is one of the main reason that the metagame is so damn fast right now.

So yeah, with what everybody said about Sigilyph, I think a vote on it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Vryheid

fudge jelly
At first I wasn't gonna reply, but fuck it.

A good majority of the Pokemon and sets you named are literally unexistent on the ladder.
Yeah, that's pretty much obvious, otherwise people wouldn't be complaining about it being so hard to check/counter. Scarf Luxray isn't even that crazy, it was a standard set last gen. I had to go through every Pokemon in the NU tier to find ones that could actually beat Sigilyph reliably. I doubt the average player would really be willing to go that far just to deal with one Pokemon, but I'm simply showing that it can be done. I think all of those sets can be useful outside of checking Sigilyph as well. Does that mean everyone who's facing Sigilyph regularly has to choose one? No, but if their team is severely weak to it they might consider picking one.

also how the fuck did I forget Glaceon in my last post yeah that shit works too

Not everybody run SpDef Haze + Light Screen Xatu (what the fuck is that)
Came about originally as a hard counter to Venemoth before it was banned, still works as a nice way to stave off the overwhelming special sweepers present in the tier. Light Screen is nice and Haze stops stupid BP shenanigans. You probably don't need it if you have other answers to Sigilyph but it's simply one option available.

Anyway, sure Sigilyph can have its flaws (wow getting OHKOed by a Choice Specs Lanturn's Thunder) and sure you have your own experiences with it (SpDef Haze Xatu.), but in my opinion you need to be open when it comes to suspect tests. A Pokemon can have counters and be broken anyway (Excadrill in BW1 OU comes to mind (not trying to compare the two, just saying an exemple)), and not everybody run the same damn thing; I myself have been using a lot of Spike stack offense lately with plenty of checks for Sigilyph, and trust me, it doesn't affect my opinion at all.
I wasn't trying to imply this should be a standard strategy on every single team, I was simply using it as anecdotal evidence against the implication being made in several previous posts that Sigilyph is quite literally impossible to counter with any degree of consistency. It can be done without "guesswork", it can be done without "50/50 scenarios", and it can be done without requiring the loss of several Pokemon in the process.

The main point, imo, is how Sigilyph can make anything slower a liability (I feel like I said it a lot in here lately & time to repeat what everybody already said multiple times..). Stall is literally unexistent right now on the ladder. Sigilyph doesn't have a perfect matchup vs Hyper Offense; It has a fantastic one vs bulkier and slower teams. You are pmuch FORCED to run a Spiritomb or another Dark-type to keep Sigilyph in check. And yes, I do think Sigilyph is one of the main reason that the metagame is so damn fast right now.
Is that a bad thing? Is there some rule engraved in stone somewhere that requires stall and bulky offense to be equally viable as hyperoffense in every single meta? Because I could really care less if stall is dead in NU. Maybe this is just a defining trait of the tier, sort of like how stall isn't a huge force in Little Cup right now either. You have plenty of other metas to pick from if you want to play stall that badly, OU and UU being great examples.

So yeah, with what everybody said about Sigilyph, I think a vote on it wouldn't hurt.

that is all.
Except it doesn't matter whether it would "hurt" or not, because Raseri already announced that there's going to be a suspect test no matter what. It's obvious that the overwhelming majority of players here want this thing to be banned, but I still feel like there isn't very good evidence against it and it would be a shame to ban things left and right simply because of what flavor of the week people think is annoying to deal with.

Last edited:
In other words, you're assuming we A. mispredict and end up in the worst situation possible
>Bring sigi in on a mon that can't touch it, or a mon that it will scare out
>Calm Mind
>Typhlosion comes in
>Typhlosion doesn't KO
>Sigi KO's if rocks are up

I know Ty can hit it hard, but my point is that if having a mon on the field that sigi can switch into constitutes as a misplay, then the whole NU tier must constantly be misplaying (unless I'm missing something here...)

B. are incapable of bringing our check into a predicted Sigilyph switchin.
If you have to either double switch or predict a Sigi switch in and switch in your check as soon as Sigi comes in to have a chance of beating it with a certain pokemon that mon is a lesser check in my eyes. This applies to many pokemon who would like to hit Sigi but can't switch in on it until the set is known (if they can switch in at all)

I personally run Lapras and it only checks attacks + roost Sigi reliably, and CM to an extent

Most of those other mons you list follow a similar pattern, where they can only check a few of Sigis many sets, and just become a liability against others
This takes us back to the fact that it's unpredictability + strength + ability together make it EXTREMELY good with NO hard counters and few checks

And as Soulgazer said, pretty much all those mons are non-existant on the ladder because frankly most of them are inferior either to their other sets or have a huge opportunity cost associated with running them

Yeah, I made a mistake about Stealth Rock, thank you for pointing that out half a dozen times. Let me go over this though:

In other words, you're assuming we A. mispredict and end up in the worst situation possible, and B. are incapable of bringing our check into a predicted Sigilyph switchin. Nobody said we had to be using a 208 HP spread either, you just made that up. Regardless, I can accept all of that, but lets look at what you have next:

Right, so at this point instead of saying "Hey, maybe I should go to Spiritomb to avoid the incredibly obvious Psychic coming my way", you decide to stay in and deal some damage with the hardest hitting attack you've got. 91% max damage isn't a OHKO, but at least you managed to lower it to a point that any other Pokemon on your team can finish it off. And if you are capable of keeping Stealth Rock off of your side of the field, you can guarantee beating it with Fire Blast. Considering that I didn't list this as a counter, however, whether or not it functions as one is irrelevant.

What you're looking for is not checks but simpleton counters- Pokemon that can beat Sigilyph singlehandedly with no prediction against the vast majority of moves it will be making from practically any set. Fair enough, I can find some of those since you apparently need them:

Scarf Luxray- can tank any hit Sigilyph throws at it, OHKOs with Wild Charge, doesn't care about about burn cause of Guts
Walrein- easily tanks any hit even at +1, can OHKO with Frost Breath afterwords no matter how many boosts Sigilyph has
Musharna- Walls Sigilyph's standard moves and can easily Calm Mind up alongside it, eventually winning a Psyshock war thanks to its superior bulk. Can even beat it with Skill Swap + Toxic if you're feeling trolly
Specs Lanturn- Tanks any move and OHKOs with Thunder, can even tank a +1 Energy Ball on the random sets that have it
Swoobat- Switches into any hit and can set up Calm Minds twice as fast as Sigilyph. Swoobat hits +4/+4 the same turn Sigilyph hits +2/+2, and can proceed to 2HKO it with Shadow Ball. Unaware sets can also counter it with a similar setup.
Articuno- works similarly to Walrein but needs SR off the field to work 100% of the time, can tank even +1 Heave Waves though
Regice- easily tanks any hit, even Heat Wave, at +1 after Stealth Rock damage. OHKOs with Ice Beam/Blizzard if you're running a Specs set
Specs/LO Probopass- Barely dented by any of Sigilyph's standard moves, can 2HKO with Power Gem even after a boost
Xatu (honorable mention)- Switches in easily and can pretty much neutralize it with Haze + Light Screen, allowing a teammate to easily finish Sigilyph off

"But Vryheid," you say, "Swoobat is lame, and how can I run my generic bulky Lanturn set if its not running Leftovers? Also, if they're running X spread with Y obscure coverage move, and make a perfect prediction on the switchin, some of these counters won't work!" Yes, yes, young Padiwan, this Pokemon is pretty dangerous- luckily, we have plenty of revenge killers that rip Sigilyph a new one even if your initial switchin fails. They just can't take being hit by certain moves as they switch in. Choice Band Zebrastrika, Archeops, Scarf Vanilluxe, Scarf Pangoro, Scarf Ramparados, Regirock with a Lum Berry, Dread Plate Liepard, Specs Cryogonal and Lum Berry Gigalith, all outspeed Sigilyph and threaten to OHKO it even after a boost (with the exception of Regirock and Gigalith, who aren't listed as counters simply because they can't afford to get burned twice). There are some other sets like Swellow who usually beat it or take it down the brink of being KOd, but there's a chance they can get knocked out themselves in the process. Another approach is to soften up Sigilyph with a Volt Switch from something like Rotom and finish the job with practically any hard hitting Pokemon with a supereffective move.

Finally, you can simply run counters to each individual Sigilyph set (the defensive Cosmic Power set loses to Magmortar, for instance, while the Life Orb set loses to Sucker Punch Spiritomb). This is honestly what most people are doing right now, and for the most part it seems to be working, at least for players prepared for it.

Now personally? I've found Sigilyph a lot easier to check in NU matches than Shiftry or Spiritomb ever was, but I guess that's what I get for running a Xatu/Spiritomb core (it works extremely well against it, by the way). I'm not complaining about those Pokemon either- unless a Pokemon is totally dominating every match they're put in, some "imbalance" is what keeps these matches interesting and exciting. Pokemon like Sigilyph give the tier flavor specifically because they're tricky to deal with, much the same way something like Mega Charizard X is very tricky to counter in OU. I like working for my wins, and I've NEVER found Sigilyph difficult to shut down when I predict properly (I usually do). If you don't agree with what I'm saying here then I respect your opinion and there's not really much else I can say to convince you otherwise, but personally I like the NU meta the way it is and I think it would be less interesting if it changed.
The fact that you are bringing out such obscure and pretty much unviable stuff (Specs Cryogonal wtf) is a testament of how difficult is Sigilyph to deal with. Most of the time Sigilyph can get around these Pokemon just because it is running a differrent coverage move or Psyco Shift (to deal with Sucker Punch users).
It is obvious that Sigilyph can't beat EVERYTHING with four moveslots but it kinda forces you to play around and scout for its coverage moves, especially if you have a bulkier and slower team. I get that stuff like Bouffalant, Spiritomb, and Ice Types can take most hits and ko back but they risk being heavily crippled and are generally susceptible to Entry Hazard Damage and without any means of recovery. As Soulgazer said it is one of the main reasons why the metagame is so fast paced, preventing a ton of Pokemon suited for Bulky offense from being used and kind of restricting teambuilding.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Yeah, that's pretty much obvious, otherwise people wouldn't be complaining about it being so hard to check/counter. Scarf Luxray isn't even that crazy, it was a standard set last gen. I had to go through every Pokemon in the NU tier to find ones that could actually beat Sigilyph reliably. I doubt the average player would really be willing to go that far just to deal with one Pokemon, but I'm simply showing that it can be done. I think all of those sets can be useful outside of checking Sigilyph as well. Does that mean everyone who's facing Sigilyph regularly has to choose one? No, but if their team is severely weak to it they might consider picking one.
Due to Sigi's powerful presence in the tier, any team that doesn't pack one of the (limited amount of) arguable Sigilyph responses is already severely weak to it, and the many players that have posted before me have already admitted there are less than a handful of consistent responses to Sigi. Magic Guard means it simply cannot be taken down any other way aside from brute force, and Sigi is not exactly a featherweight.

supposed counters / responses to Sigi
Only some of them can actually switch in without getting whooped, and even then your bulky Ice-types, Psychic-types, and Probo can be wrecked by something like Specs Tinted Lens Sigilyph, which does exist and is much more relevant than Scarf Luxray @_@. There is also the issue that almost none of them can outlast Sigilyph, due to the latter's residual damage immunity.

I wasn't trying to imply this should be a standard strategy on every single team, I was simply using it as anecdotal evidence against the implication being made in several previous posts that Sigilyph is quite literally impossible to counter with any degree of consistency. It can be done without "guesswork", it can be done without "50/50 scenarios", and it can be done without requiring the loss of several Pokemon in the process.
Sigi's sheer versatility and power behind each one of its sets does actually create this scenario, almost consistently even. I believe you are quite underestimating what Sigi is capable of: there are hardly any Pokemon in this tier that can afford to tread lightly around Sigilyph, since Sigi can easily adapt to would-be counters while maintaining great effectiveness (srsly tho Specs Tinted Lens can be all kinds of scary).

Except it doesn't matter whether it would "hurt" or not, because Raseri already announced that there's going to be a suspect test no matter what. It's obvious that the overwhelming majority of players here want this thing to be banned, but I still feel like there isn't very good evidence against it and it would be a shame to ban things left and right simply because of what flavor of the week people think is annoying to deal with.
I don't know what kind of evidence you need more than the multiple posts of players, good and bad alike, regarding Sigilyph's presence in the tier. Yes, some Pokemon can beat it, but you need to really go out of your way to find something that can really handle it, and even then it isn't foolproof. Ex: SpD Spiritomb can beat 3 attacks Sigilyph but not CM/CP, while max Attack Tomb can take too much damage from Sigilyph to check it consistently; even CroTomb can get its ass handed to it by Specs Tinted Lens, or just Dazzling Gleam in general. I've seen many Spiritombs fall before Sigilyphs just as much as vice versa, and it is supposed to be one of the best Sigilyph responses in the tier? Sigi can dance its way around its counters with its various sets while still taking a good dump on its (many) already favorable matchups by virtue of Magic Guard, strong offensive stats, and wide coverage.

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ok here we go

In other words, you're assuming we A. mispredict and end up in the worst situation possible, and B. are incapable of bringing our check into a predicted Sigilyph switchin. Nobody said we had to be using a 208 HP spread either, you just made that up.
No, you're assuming that we A. happen to have the best counter to the sigilyph set that we're facing in all matches or B. are capable of double switching every time Sigilyph comes in. Also, just because "no one" uses that spread doesn't mean it's incapable of running it, and doesn't make it any less effective. It just proves that your Sigilyph "counter" can't actually counter Sigilyph at all since it loses to bulky variants.

What if you go to Spiritomb and take a nice +1 Dazzling Gleam? It's this kind of insecurity vs Sigilyph that makes it a pain to play against.

91% might put Sigilyph relatively out of commission, but the problem is that can always come back in, find a slower Pokemon that can't 2HKO it, and Roost. And at this point your Sigilyph check is dead, so you're in another tough spot. Also js Eruption is less powerful after SR so it'll actually do less.

What you're looking for is not checks but simpleton counters- Pokemon that can beat Sigilyph singlehandedly with no prediction against the vast majority of moves it will be making from practically any set.
So basically what you're saying here is that if a Pokemon can be checked but not countered, it's ok, and you're content with losing a mon every time it comes in?

Against other ordinary Pokemon, "simpleton counters" do exist. Vileplume is a simpleton counter to Sceptile, Steelix is a simpleton counter to Swellow. But simpleton counters don't exist for the exact reason you said: Sigilyph has a vast movepool to choose from to beat out most Pokemon.

Fair enough, I can find some of those since you apparently need them:
Sure, I will tell you why they aren't simpleton counters.
Scarf Luxray: 1) it sucks, 2) it cannot switch in repeatedly

Walrein: it sucks and loses to Energy Ball sets

Musharna: it can eventually be stalled out with Flame Orb CP sets, although it'll take a while

Specs Lanturn: lol Thunder

Swoobat: can't take hits at all, Ice Beam flat out destroys it and Heat Wave takes a massive chunk off it

Articuno: so you'll need to give your counter support now, in an environment where spinning is as difficult as it is?

Raichu: lol Thunder, also cannot take repeated hits

Lapras: Sigi 2HKOes with Energy Ball after rocks

Regice: ok I'll give this one to you but unless it's running Frost Breath it still loses

Probopass: Sigilyph can reach +2, Roost and keep boosting because Power Gem is neutral when Roosting. Not only does it lose, it's actually setup fodder lol

Xatu: standard sets lose to Ice Beam and the one you mentioned is so specialized and restrictive

as you can see those simpleton counters you mentioned are either 1) not simpleton counters or 2) too restrictive on teambuilding. What I mean by 2) is that I'm forced to run Frost Breath on Regice if I want to beat it, or Haze + Light Screen on Xatu because no one else can simpleton counter it.

I see now! Obviously Mega Lucario wouldn't be broken in OU because we can all sac a mon every time it comes in, revenge kill it, and if it switches out just repeat!

ok that is an exaggeration but I hope it showed you why just because you can revenge something doesn't mean it's not broken.

Ok I'll now fit a Spiritomb and Magmortar. Sigilyph is in the field. Which do I switch in? I don't know, because if I switch into the wrong move, something dies.

Yeah, that's pretty much obvious, otherwise people wouldn't be complaining about it being so hard to check/counter. Scarf Luxray isn't even that crazy, it was a standard set last gen.
that analysis is horribly outdated though. Scarf Luxray is kinda bad because the Speed is rubbish for an Electric-type and it can't revenge kill most Speed boosters.

I had to go through every Pokemon in the NU tier to find ones that could actually beat Sigilyph reliably. I doubt the average player would really be willing to go that far just to deal with one Pokemon, but I'm simply showing that it can be done. I think all of those sets can be useful outside of checking Sigilyph as well.
Walrein useful outside of checking Sigilyph?

You mentioned you had to search long and hard for checks to Sigilyph. The problem is that 1) most of them are rather outclassed otherwise and 2) most of them can be dealt with with the appropriate coverage move. Even if they can't be OHKOed, their lack of recovery means that they cannot switch into Sigilyph more than once.

Does that mean everyone who's facing Sigilyph regularly has to choose one? No, but if their team is severely weak to it they might consider picking one.
So I either 1) pick something totally obscure like SpDef Light Screen Haze Xatu or 2) lose to one of sigilyph's sets.

Came about originally as a hard counter to Venemoth before it was banned, still works as a nice way to stave off the overwhelming special sweepers present in the tier. Light Screen is nice and Haze stops stupid BP shenanigans. You probably don't need it if you have other answers to Sigilyph but it's simply one option available.
I'd like to hear a few more Pokemon in NU that can safely switch into all Sigilyph sets. You mention Xatu, but if it means that if I want to counter Sigilyph, I'll have to run SpDef investment on every Xatu, Light Screen on every Xatu, and Haze on every Xatu?

I want to question how you do that without resorting to restrictive movesets like the Xatu you mentioned. The problem is that I can't even switch in something like Pangoro without fearing Air Slash or Dazzling Gleam, I can't switch Spiritomb in without fearing a burn or a LO Dazzling Gleam, I can't switch my Audino in without getting set up on. This means the most reliable way to defeat Sigilyph is to revenge kill it. Do you think it's healthy when a fast threat that cannot be worn down cannot be defeated unless you sac something yourself? And then the Sigilyph user can always switch out and come in later, which means you'll have to sac something else. Of course at this point you might have figured out its set but the point is that it's virtually impossible to counter a Sigilyph until you figure out which of the many moves it is running.

By extension, if you want to adequately prepare for Sigilyph, you need to ensure you have enough Pokemon that take Psychic + Heat Wave + Energy Ball + Ice Beam + Dazzling Gleam + Psycho Shift.

Is that a bad thing? Is there some rule engraved in stone somewhere that requires stall and bulky offense to be equally viable as hyperoffense in every single meta? Because I could really care less if stall is dead in NU. Maybe this is just a defining trait of the tier, sort of like how stall isn't a huge force in Little Cup right now either. You have plenty of other metas to pick from if you want to play stall that badly, OU and UU being great examples.
Not necessarily bad that Sigilyph breaks stall, but it IS bad when running a stall team becomes a liability due to that Pokemon. There's a difference between "Sigilyph can beat stall teams" and "Sigilyph's presence in the tier means that if you run a stall team, you're dead from team preview". Yes, there are several checks that stall can use, but they once again cannot cover all possible Sigilyph at once and it is extremely restrictive for stall to try and do so.

The past two pages have been giving you evidence on why it is broken. We've told you that Sigilyph cannot be countered without revealing its set and you're likely to lose a mon trying to scout it out; we've told you that Sigilyph has so much coverage at its disposal that it chooses its counters; we've told you that Sigilyph is fast enough to take advantage of this; we've told you that Sigilyph cannot be worn down and steamrolls through stall. You've not attempted to counter these, yet you feel it's not good evidence enough? All you did was bring up a few things that either switch into a specific set/move or are restrictive.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I'll be the first one to admit running obscure stuff can still work even if they are unviable in most other situations but I doesn't even consider most of those options working in the first place. Half of them aren't going to beat Sigilyph before dying themselves, unless you give them the most favorable match ups you can think of (no rocks on your side, minimum bulk sigilyph, etc.). And frankly, countering isn't the most important thing in the world but when you can't even check it without knowing what set it's running you're fighting an uphill battle.

Checks to some of the Sigilyph sets get completely owned by other (see Sneasel vs LO or Scarf, one wins but one loses), and even then Sneasel could go as a fairly relevant mon with a very good chance to check Sigilyph if you know the set. And I feel like that's the entire problem. Yes it is immune to passive damage and can outpace a good portion of the meta, but on their own that doesn't help much. When you add the movepool that Sigilyph actually have, it becomes a problem. Just by swapping one move for another changes its checks without telling the opponent anything. You can't go up against LO + 3 attacks / 4 attacks and know for sure what moves it runs before it uses them. And then you have Scarf, CP, CM and other.

tl;dr too many options means you can't even check it reliably with even one thing.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In addition to what everyone else said, Vryheid you don't seem to address the fact that even if Sigilyph is being threatened by a revenge kill, it can just switch out (and thanks to Magic Guard, it can do that with pretty much zero drawbacks). This is really one of the main reasons why Sigi is broken imo because between that AND its access to Roost, almost none of the "checks" you or anyone else listed will ever outlast it. This is also the reason why Sigi is almost incomparable to the likes of Magmortar or Shiftry or whatever else--those two are actually POSSIBLE (and, might I add, rather easy) to wear down and pressure between entry hazards, faster stuff that can OHKO them, and even their own LO recoil. Not to mention the fact that Sigi is a lot faster than either and can boost its defenses with CM / CP, which only further limits its list of offensive checks when compared to other "unwallable" wallbreakers.

And Scarf Luxray is trash lmao

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The problem with Sigilyph to me isn't even the thing that everyone keeps pointing to—its versatility. Set-wise, Sigilyph should pretty much always be running some kind of Calm Mind or all-out attacker set. It does get a lot of coverage, which is annoying when you play it on the ladder, but for the most part it runs any two or three of Psychic/shock, Energy Ball, Heat Wave, Air Slash.

The problem with Sigilyph is the effect it has on balanced teams. Usually this style of team has only one or two Pokemon that can actually outspeed Sigilyph and either one or no Pokemon that can tank more than two hits from it. If there are any good Pokemon that hard counter both Calm Mind and Roost + three attacks Sigilyph, I'd love to hear them because I haven't yet found any. This pretty much means that balanced teams are forced to skew more towards offensive in order to handle Sigilyph reliably and keep it from getting too many free switches into the battle, thus making the metagame overall more offensive. There are definitely many things that add up to the offensiveness of NU, but Sigilyph is probably the main offender.

It's also important to note that Sigilyph can be taken down. Every time a suspect is held people throw out a ton of obscure counters and say that you can just outspeed it and kill it, but that's not the point. Sigilyph just makes the metagame too offensive because that's the easiest way to reliably take it out, and banning it would allow for a lot more versatile of a metagame.

The other problem with sigilyph then from what I've been hearing appears to be that it limits playstyles, particularly balance and (semi) stall (though I haven't really seen this play style in the tier). In that sense, would it be safe to say that sigi over centralizes the tier? Of course sigilyph can be checked just like any poke can. However, sigi usually requires a few checks that at times it can surpass with the right moves. With reliable recovery in roost and an excellent ability in magic guard, it is also rather difficult or nigh impossible to whittle it down. But I haven't actually seen a specs tinted lens set since gen5. I wonder how that set fares in this metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)