Smogon's Official World Cup Discussion (Congrats to Glaucius on winning Pick'em!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah Max, Marcelo didn't play all too badly (though he went down too easy when he was looking for that penalty). Fred was atrocious though, as was Gustavo (who had a good first game against Croatia).

Russia will thrash Korea 3-0

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Mexico got what it wanted, a draw. They didn't expect to win Brazil, but, as soul fly said, they were that close to win. I just heard some Brazil players' interviews and they said the draw didn't matter they are just fine. In theory, they will win in #1 at this group, but giving shitty excuses won't give Brazil the trophy.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Nah Max, Marcelo didn't play all too badly (though he went down too easy when he was looking for that penalty). Fred was atrocious though, as was Gustavo (who had a good first game against Croatia).

Russia will thrash Korea 3-0
Yeah Marcelo wasn't that bad, I am just very angry lol. I hope smashes Russia crushes Korea too.

Yea, nice "smashing" South Korea. Bit disappointed in the way we conceded, but fair enough considering how we scored, lol. Draw is acceptable. Now we must focus on gaining 3 points against Algeria.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
FM10 cheap GK legend Ochoa pulling through.

This is why you pick FM legends for your squad. If Mexico had Carlos Fierro, they'd win easily.

Should find out more about this Russian team in their next game. Were absolutely poor in the 1st half to about 60 minutes in but responded well to going a goal down.

I we just saw the best world cup keeping performance by Ochoa followed up by the worst keeping performance by Akinfeev.

Huge game for Spain tomorrow against Chile. Really think Koke has to come in for Xavi, who will provide better movement, better pressing and fitter. Costa is clearly not fully fit but is the best option for this game where he can lead the pressing for Spain. Also I think Martinez needs to come into this team as well as Pedro.
If Chile win tomorrow and Holland beat Australia then spain are out.

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would put villa, de gea, martínez und koke instead of costa, casillas, pique and xavi in

Not sure about pedro, I think silva is ok

Casillas is undroppable for this tournament. De gea might take over the #1 position in time for the Euros but not now.
Villa can't play centre forward as well as Costa. He is better cutting in from the left which Iniesta will be playing and then Torres is torres.

Agree about Martinez and Koke though.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The returned 2-2 was upsetting. Hopefully Australia can pull through and get another goal over Netherlands

oh and Cahill's goal was legendary. it'd be a shame to lose/draw from here :[

edit: wow, rip. just turned 3-2. got to say it was a commendable comeback by netherlands though

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Holy shit. Bonkers game.

Netherlands bus parking now, that's how rattled they are.

Mad Respect to the Aussies.

Well this is just another game that can be put in the growing pile of "undeserved losses" this world cup.

Fantastic game all the same, Australia were magnificent and actually bossed the game for the most part

Sad to see them lose from a goalkeeping error (two, actually - I thought Ryan could have reacted a little more quickly to Robben's shot) but that's football

Spain to win vs Chile 3-1

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Casillas is undroppable for this tournament. De gea might take over the #1 position in time for the Euros but not now.
Villa can't play centre forward as well as Costa. He is better cutting in from the left which Iniesta will be playing and then Torres is torres.

Agree about Martinez and Koke though.
I know that Iker is undroppable, I would have started de gea from the first match on though.
I don't think that Costa fits in spain's playstyle, but maybe he can proof me wrong

Considering no one (including most of us back home) gave our aussie boys much of a shot, this was a top match, albeit somewhat bittersweet. It's good to have a team not afraid to play football again, unlike the last few years. A team to be proud of, onwards and upwards from here!

Really interested to see how Spain bounce back, Chile are similar to the Dutch in the sense that they have lots of pace and class up front that could again expose the slower Spanish backline.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Way to get my hopes up Australia :-(.

Also stop with this refereeing bullshit please and show a little respect for a team that gave you a scare. We outplayed you for large chunks

Reactions: HBK

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Great performance by Australia, I was rooting for them from the beginning (I like underdogs) and for a while, I actually thought that they could win it. All in all, a great game. The Aussie fans should feel proud. Cahill ftw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)