Staying away from popularity: Pokemon that you like that others don't and hate that everyone likes

Which one, out of the six Pokemon chosen, is your favorite?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"I think it's cute" doesn't promote discussion, and the anime/manga threads haven't been posted in for months (revamp plz).
Um, yeah. Like I said. . . rarely by practice. It's still allowed in here, so it's okay to like a Pokemon (and discuss it on a thread dedicated to liking Pokemon who might not be popular or useful) for these reasons. . . I just don't see the point of coming into a thread you clearly have no interest in just to complain and start arguments.

Competitive viability isn't even where I'm coming from. Pokes like Wigglypuff simply served no role in the game. When it was released, it was a difficult to obtain pokemon, but not so difficult it was special. Its in-game viability was laughable due to so many better and easier to obtain normal types for fighting gyms. It just served no purpose besides filling a slot on the pokedex and adding diversity.

Now, if you like a pokemon for its design, or a special memory with it, or whatever, I can't complain, but people are actually pretending these pokes are underrated, when they're just not.
Butterfree was the strongest Pokemon in the game pre level 15, and was what most people used to beat Brock if they played Yellow or started with Charmander. It also had lots of utility, and was the Pokemon that introduced players to status usage (unless they started Bulbasaur).

Wigglytuff served the purpose of making use of the moon stone. She also just generally served the purpose of giving Jiggs an evolution. Pokemon with low base stats (eg. Jiggs) need to have evolutions, and Jiggs needed low base stats because it one of the child-like cute Pokemon.

AwesomeFennekin

Banned deucer.
I'm a little confused, how is this thread not just a place to post your rants and unrealistic biases?

I hate all 6 of the OP pokemon, because they're largely pointless.

Wigglypuff was just a filler, and not even a good one.

Meganium was a starter, but was arguably the worst in a generation that had pretty lack luster starters.

Beautifly was just a butterfree knock off, and Butterfree is one of those pokemon that only existed to get new players acquainted with evolution, and served little purpose outside of that, so it certainly didn't merit a knock off.

Cherim was a filler and a gimmick

Emolga was a terrible continuation of the terrible trend of electric rodents

And what the heck is Slurpluff? Sure, fairies needed the rep, but come on! Is that the best you could do?

As bad as these pokes are, complaining about them WHILE bashing decent pokemon is what gets me. Aggron for instance, while a joke overall due to its weaknesses, was GF showing that steel typing would actually be decent now, so complaining about how it looks makes no sense to me.
If you're gonna be a fuck and cause a shitstorm, please kindly leave the thread.

Feraligatr is my favorite Pokemon, although it isn't too great competitively (I can't wait for Sheer Force to be released!). It was pretty good last gen when rain was permanent; a Swords Dance set with Aqua Jet was killer. Also, I really like Donphan, but a lot of people on Smogon seem to reeeeeeeally hate it for some reason. I think my love for Donphan stems from how cute Phanpy is. Also, I've always pictured Donphan spinning so fast that it catches fire, kind of like a cartoon race car. Speaking of, Donphan should be able to learn Flame Wheel. I mean, it already learns pretty random stuff like Ice Shard and Seed Bomb. I also like Tropius too, and I hope that it gets a mega evolution in ORAS.

Popularity (or lack there of) is all about perspective...

but I've always liked Flareon despite typing/movepool/stats/twitchplayspokemonmemes/nostalgiafilter. It was the only one that looked like the next evolutionary stage of Eevee if she evolved like a standard pokemon. Like the less dramatic changes of Pidgey to Pidgeotto to Pidgeot.

Wish they kept the tail curl on her X/Y model though, the straight up tail looks funny.

I always thought Spinda is cute. Back in the day i never saw it as been drunk or anything, though the default image without spots on its face that Smogon uses in the analyses does it no favor. Always thought it looked like a rock type too.

I never see Spinda as drunk, mainly because I remember its Ruby dex entry stating its unsteady walk is intentional to screw up its enemies' aim. It is nice though to see it actually moving unsteadily even if I'm not a big fan of Spinda itself. But more power to those who do!

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
... what if the kid who caught Spinda and recorded that entry kept it perpetually drunk just so it would mess up its opponents aim?

Yeah, it's nice to see them acknowledging Pokedex entries.

On the good side, Articuno. Beyond the standard "I think it looks cool" stuff, I think it's great that they gave someone the Mind Reader/Lock On + OHKO move combo. It really suffers in Smogon because of the OHKO clause and ubiquity of Stealth Rocks, but is fun to use in more casual settings when those aren't around.

On the bad side, any mega-evolution to someone who was underpowered enough to just warrant a regular evolution - Mawile, Pinsir, and so on. Would have been cool, I think, to keep the megas to lines with 3 evolutions.

And no matter what convoluted story you come up with about fish jumping over gates, I'll never forgive Gyarados' lack of a dragon type, and that's enough to make me dislike it.

I think Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Heracross and especially Scizor were better with megas than with regular evos. They all really look like final stage evos. Thats what I find odd about Rhyperior, Rhydon already looks like a final stage, and Rhyperior looks like a Mega Rhydon. Not that i hate that cause unorthodox evos are cool, but still seems incorrect. On the other hand, Mawile and Sableye could had got evos, but hey, they actually managed to make Mega Mawile OU material, and that is worth respecting.

Feraligatr is my favorite Pokemon, although it isn't too great competitively (I can't wait for Sheer Force to be released!). It was pretty good last gen when rain was permanent; a Swords Dance set with Aqua Jet was killer. Also, I really like Donphan, but a lot of people on Smogon seem to reeeeeeeally hate it for some reason. I think my love for Donphan stems from how cute Phanpy is. Also, I've always pictured Donphan spinning so fast that it catches fire, kind of like a cartoon race car. Speaking of, Donphan should be able to learn Flame Wheel. I mean, it already learns pretty random stuff like Ice Shard and Seed Bomb. I also like Tropius too, and I hope that it gets a mega evolution in ORAS.
Well, Donphan is (or, better, was) hated because before the shift to 1760 usage stats it was in OU depsite holding very little viability in this tier. It was kinda like DPPt OU Electivire.
Nothing to with its desing, which I actually find pretty cool(but maybe it's just me being biased towards Ground type. I love all of them. Except Garchomp, my god that thing is ugly as fuck, easily one of the worst Pokémon in the whole Dex imo)

My favorite pokemon are wooper and oddish, neither of which are unpopular (wooper even has some really funny memes). I generally like hated pokemon. Stunfisk was my fav in gen 5 and I loved wormadam and mothim in gen 4. I always pick meganium when I played gen2. I honestly find something to like in all pokemon except for a very select few (like the ice cream cones)

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I'm a little confused, how is this thread not just a place to post your rants and unrealistic biases?

I hate all 6 of the OP pokemon, because they're largely pointless.

Wigglypuff was just a filler, and not even a good one.

Meganium was a starter, but was arguably the worst in a generation that had pretty lack luster starters.

Beautifly was just a butterfree knock off, and Butterfree is one of those pokemon that only existed to get new players acquainted with evolution, and served little purpose outside of that, so it certainly didn't merit a knock off.

Cherim was a filler and a gimmick

Emolga was a terrible continuation of the terrible trend of electric rodents

And what the heck is Slurpluff? Sure, fairies needed the rep, but come on! Is that the best you could do?

As bad as these pokes are, complaining about them WHILE bashing decent pokemon is what gets me. Aggron for instance, while a joke overall due to its weaknesses, was GF showing that steel typing would actually be decent now, so complaining about how it looks makes no sense to me.
Sorry to necro-bump an old argument, but wigglytuff DOES serve a role bigger than just as a dex-filler. I know this thread isn't about competitive viability, but still, wigglytuff DOES have a *competitive* (lol pun) niche. In VGC, it was used by 3 time world champion Ray Rizzo to win Massachusetts regionals this year. Here is a link to his team report: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/wigglytough-tough-enough-massachusetts-1st-place-report/

It also has sentimental value as well. Jigglypuff was also in Super Smash Bros, and so it and its evolutionary family have HUGE sentimental value to fans in a similar way that pikachu/raichu has.

Sorry, just wanted to address that, and put my vote in for wigglytuff for pure awesomeness. :D

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Kairyu_Gen1 I hope you realize competitive discussion is forbidden here.
Not that person's fault: I'm the one that necro-bumped the argument. We are all entitled to disliking a pokemon, competitive viability aside. I gave reasons why I liked the poke, one of which happened to show its impact in a competitive community. And, after this post, I won't talk about it anymore. :)

In other news, I like mega bannette's design. I think the unzippered finger gloves look pretty spooky cool.

Kairyu_Gen1 I hope you realize competitive discussion is forbidden here.
Look man (/woman/child), I'm not going to sit around and argue about this. When I first saw this thread, I pretty much ignored it because I didn't really care about other people's love for Clefable, and I didn't think they cared about my love for Eelektross, but then I saw that edit regarding Aggron and just flipped. You can't use some lame argument like "it dies to super effective special hits" to dis a pokemon, and then elevate emolga because "it looks cute."

Besides, you're incorrect to chastise me for using competitive arguments. Try actually reading some of my posts instead of immediately lashing out at those who disagree with you. My arguments were all specifically tailored to when Clefable was released, Gen 1, when there pretty much wasn't a meta to discuss. Like EnGarde said, GF has done a decent job of fixing their mistakes so there's no such thing as a completely worthless pokemon, but I still think the 6 you listed are contenders for least useful, and it's my right to think that as much as it's your right to disagree.

Arguing about this is a waste of time, but all I'm asking for is that you stop bitching about pokemon that people like but you don't for whatever reason (or at least include why people like them), or you acknowledge why your biased arguments might not be universally acceptable. Another option is for you to stop taking things so personally and let the thread evolve where it will, but based on your language in the OP, I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
Sorry to necro-bump an old argument, but wigglytuff DOES serve a role bigger than just as a dex-filler. I know this thread isn't about competitive viability, but still, wigglytuff DOES have a *competitive* (lol pun) niche. In VGC, it was used by 3 time world champion Ray Rizzo to win Massachusetts regionals this year. Here is a link to his team report: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/wigglytough-tough-enough-massachusetts-1st-place-report/

It also has sentimental value as well. Jigglypuff was also in Super Smash Bros, and so it and its evolutionary family have HUGE sentimental value to fans in a similar way that pikachu/raichu has.

Sorry, just wanted to address that, and put my vote in for wigglytuff for pure awesomeness. :D
To be fair, wiggly was redundant competitively in gen1, when she was released. Clefable is considered borderline in gen1, and wiggly is completely inferior to clefable in every way except that her counter does more damage due to having higher HP.

As I said before, her real niche was to make use of moon stones and to give jiggs an evolution.

Well! I'm new in the forum and probably nobody of the great community of competitors is gonna reading this but anyway...

I really love the idea of this thread because its not obsessed with competitive play and typecast anything in the pokedex under the tags of: Sucks & Great OMFG OU-Uber.

Anyway, my favorite not competitive mon is vileplume. I love that guy from the 1st gen, but you know, he is always under the shadow of venusaur who outclasses the raflessia in any way, for that I love how generation 6 give him dazzling gleam and more Sp. Atk, now we have a diference (at least in the TM/HM rooster).

But sadly, its not enough to be in the map but I love that anyway.

In other aspects I really like the obscure background of the oddish family, related with something called the "corpse flower" and with the mandrake's only improved the awesomes.

I always think that Vileplume, Zubat and Gengar are miscast as poison type pokemon because the Dark type not exist in the I generation and only poison represents in a sense (besides the poison itself) the dark, corrupted, nightish, evil things.

Well anytough of argument of my ideas is welcome :). I really like to talk and debate.

PD: In the poll Wiglytuff totally have MY LOVE!

I always think that Vileplume, Zubat and Gengar are miscast as poison type pokemon because the Dark type not exist in the I generation and only poison represents in a sense (besides the poison itself) the dark, corrupted, nightish, evil things.
The Gastly family is based on Poisonous gases, the Oddish family (not counting Bellossom) are based on poisonous flowers and the Zubat line have venom in their fangs so.

AwesomeFennekin

Banned deucer.
The Gastly family is based on Poisonous gases, the Oddish family (not counting Bellossom) are based on poisonous flowers and the Zubat line have venom in their fangs so.
While I don't think think they are Poisonous, Rafflesia, the flower Gloom and Vileplume are based off of, is poisonous smelling.

I need to be agree on gastly, because is in effect a posion gas, but haunter and gengar don't have that gas aspect in his desgin (gengar is a shadow and haunter a cartoonish ghost) and vileplume, gloom and oddish are based on the rafllesia armoldi which ITS NOT a poisonous flower: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafflesia_arnoldii. And the zubat argument... where in the pokedex say that its fangs are infused with venom? I just read all the pokedex description on zubat, golbat and crobat and found nothing about that, but the descriptions say interesting thing about his relationships with vampires, night and obscure things. So, except for gastly, I afraid you don't guess right.

Last edited:
I need to be agree on gastly, because is in effect a posion gas, but haunter and gengar don't have that gas aspect in his desgin (gengar is a shadow and haunter a cartoonish ghost) and vileplume, gloom and oddish are based on the rafllesia armoldi which ITS NOT a poisonous flower: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafflesia_arnoldii. And the zubat argument... where in the pokedex say that its fangs are infused with venom? I just read all the pokedex description on zubat, golbat and crobat and found nothing about that, but the descriptions say interesting thing about his relationships with vampires, night and obscure things. So, except for gastly, I afraid you don't guess right.
It learns Poison Fang, which only Pokémon with some sort of Poisonous aspect to them get through level-up.
I dunno man, just makes sense to me. Oh, and as pointed out above, Rafflesia or whatever have a poisonous smell to them. And just because what it's based off isn't poisonous doesn't mean it itself isn't Poisonous.

pokemon i dislike:
greninja. even though i use one myself because i can't deny how good it is competitively, its design irks me to no end for some reason.
garchomp, who i think is completely overrated and overhyped even though i admit it's also strong

pokemon i love:
flaaffy (in-game since i can get away with not evolving it i never do)
whimsicott
and these two adorable little shits:

i make heavy use of both in LC even though inkay is niche at best. bergmite would be an incredible wall (i was asked once if mine was wearing an assault vest after it ate a flamethrower like it was nothing) if fire and fighting weren't so prevalent. they don't exactly rack me up many wins, but i'm going to keep using them anyway, because they're fun.

pokemon i dislike:
greninja. even though i use one myself because i can't deny how good it is competitively, its design irks me to no end for some reason.
If you're anything like me, reason = what the actual fuck is he doing using a tongue as a scarf.
Also Inkay is too cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)