Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Unburden would be the best option. If you're Wishpassing, Unburden isn't going to help much. On the other hand, Slurpuff's other ability is Sweet Veil. Much better for a utility Pokemon. I don't know. It seems like it would be much more useful.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
By the way, if Slurpuff does manage to defeat Pyroar one on one and be left with < 50%, would its Berry activate on the end of the turn (before next mon is sent out)? Because that would be pretty scary. inb4 Incinerate Pyroar even tho it still activates Unburden bc fuk ur Sitrus Slurpuff gg
The berry still activates if Pyroar dies iirc, so yeah it'll still eat the berry before you can send something out

This is theorymon but I think people should try Gothorita + BD Slurpuff. Slurpuff's counters are nicely manhandled by Specs Gothorita: Poison-types get donked by Psychic/shock while Steels are donked by HP Ground. HP Ground does enough to Steelix for Slurpuff to KO, and it flat out beats Bastiodon and Probopass. So, I don't see much other than faster Scarfers beating this core (or smart playing around Goth), but then you can always throw on something like Feraligatr to punish any Scarf Pyroar trying to revenge kill Slurpuff. Gatr happens to appreciate Goth support too \o/

Thoughts?

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
This is theorymon but I think people should try Gothorita + BD Slurpuff. Slurpuff's counters are nicely manhandled by Specs Gothorita: Poison-types get donked by Psychic/shock while Steels are donked by HP Ground. HP Ground does enough to Steelix for Slurpuff to KO, and it flat out beats Bastiodon and Probopass. So, I don't see much other than faster Scarfers beating this core (or smart playing around Goth), but then you can always throw on something like Feraligatr to punish any Scarf Pyroar trying to revenge kill Slurpuff. Gatr happens to appreciate Goth support too \o/

Thoughts?
UU (who else could it be) is probably going to ban Shadow Tag in its entirety soon so I don't think we'll be able to benefit from this combo for a long time :[ It does sound really cool though

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Pretty much almost every sweeper imaginable benefits from Shadow Tag in some way (Goth can either KO the target, set up on them, or Trick). I'm not really complaining tho; Magneton and Fletchinder's departure made things easier for Vileplume, so getting Shadow Tag Goth out of the picture is even more good news. Vileplume haters (I'm sure there are plenty by now), prepare your anuses~

RockRocks

Banned deucer.
Pretty much almost every sweeper imaginable benefits from Shadow Tag in some way (Goth can either KO the target, set up on them, or Trick). I'm not really complaining tho; Magneton and Fletchinder's departure made things easier for Vileplume, so getting Shadow Tag Goth out of the picture is even more good news. Vileplume haters (I'm sure there are plenty by now), prepare your anuses~
Yeah it seems like the meta is shifting in Vileplume's favor, especially with the recent Sigi ban. Its a great physical wall with reliable recovery, decent SpA, and great utility in Sleep Powder. People should use it more often, its great for stopping things like Sawk the sock, Primeape, and physical attackers in general.

I decided to put together a speed tier list, since I'm notoriously bad at remembering Speed stats. I haven't seen anyone else post such a list, so I figured I'd share mine for anyone who is interested. I based the sets off the 1760 stats from NU Beta in June (with some educated guesses for sets with multiple EV spreads and boosting moves/abilities/items, and omitting speed creep sets), using the list from the Viability Ranking thread to determine what to include. If there are any sets/Pokemon I need to add/remove, I'd love to hear from players with more metagame experience. (Also, I forgot to remove Fletchinder and add Electivire & Slurpuff, and only realised after I'd already posted it to Pastebin)
http://pastebin.com/73fvF8ch

Last edited:
We were running some calcs earlier, and just as a forewarning, I wouldn't get too excited about Electivire. It is, quite frankly, a rather bad Pokemon. It's problem? Lack of high base power moves and middling special attack mean that, while often being able to hit the opponent super effectively, it can't OHKO even frail Pokemon. For the following calcs, I'm assuming a 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe spread with a boosting Speed nature, Life Orb, and the moves Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, HP Grass and Earthquake

252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sceptile: 237-281 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zangoose: 231-274 (80.4 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sawk: 195-230 (67 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Seismitoad: 348-411 (84 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And so it goes on. Earthquake would be used to hit Lanturn and Dragalge, otherwise common Pokemon that can easily eat up anything Electivire can throw at them. The fact is, while it's obviously stronger than Magmortar's it's still a 2HKO, just like its fiery counterpart. Magmortar can also actually OHKO stuff thanks to its more useful STAB in Fire Blast, and stronger coverage moves. The lack of Speed is notable, however, it outspeeds what it needs to, as it's supposed to be a wallbreaker. Just to compare, physically based Magmortar actually hits harder than specially based Electivire -.-

Going physically based with Electivire also isn't something I'd recommend, due to being hard walled by stuff like Seismitoad, Rhydon, Steelix, Tangela, and the list goes on. The problem is it just can't seem to OHKO things...

Edit @ Below: nice idea with using both together, but Electivire seems too slow to really use as a cleaner for me :/

Last edited:
We were running some calcs earlier, and just as a forewarning, I wouldn't get too excited about Electivire. It is, quite frankly, a rather bad Pokemon. It's problem? Lack of high base power moves and middling special attack mean that, while often being able to hit the opponent super effectively, it can't OHKO even frail Pokemon. For the following calcs, I'm assuming a 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe spread with a boosting Speed nature, Life Orb, and the moves Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, HP Grass and Earthquake

252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Sceptile: 237-281 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zangoose: 231-274 (80.4 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sawk: 195-230 (67 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Electivire Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Seismitoad: 348-411 (84 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And so it goes on. Earthquake would be used to hit Lanturn and Dragalge, otherwise common Pokemon that can easily eat up anything Electivire can throw at them. The fact is, while it's obviously stronger than Magmortar's it's still a 2HKO, just like its fiery counterpart. Magmortar can also actually OHKO stuff thanks to its more useful STAB in Fire Blast, and stronger coverage moves. The lack of Speed is notable, however, it outspeeds what it needs to, as it's supposed to be a wallbreaker. Just to compare, physically based Magmortar actually hits harder than specially based Electivire -.-

Going physically based with Electivire also isn't something I'd recommend, due to being hard walled by stuff like Seismitoad, Rhydon, Steelix, Tangela, and the list goes on. The problem is it just can't seem to OHKO things...
The difference is Electivire is a nice cleaner, while Magmortar is an amazing wallbreaker. With similar coverage, E-Vire needs to rely on teammates / support to wear the enemy down, and is in there where it shines due to epic coverage and a great movepool. Magmortar is more to easily punch holes in enemys regardless of their typing or stat distribution.

By the way Mag + EVire core is actually cool because they have basically the same checks and Mag wears down shit for EVire.

Banded Evire looks cool, with Wild charge, EQ + two coverage moves of choice. anyone tried it out yet? (cant do because myself because my internet hates showdown)

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The difference is Electivire is a nice cleaner, while Magmortar is an amazing wallbreaker. With similar coverage, E-Vire needs to rely on teammates / support to wear the enemy down, and is in there where it shines due to epic coverage and a great movepool. Magmortar is more to easily punch holes in enemys regardless of their typing or stat distribution.

By the way Mag + EVire core is actually cool because they have basically the same checks and Mag wears down shit for EVire.
I don't think Electivire is a good cleaner. Cleaners are stuff with good Speed / priority after its counters are weakened. Base 95 Speed is pretty slow for a cleaner and no reliable way to boost it. Raichu seems to be much better at doing the Electric-type cleaning job since it's rather fast and can boost its stats, unless you really need a physical one (which arguably isn't the best for a cleaner given its reliance on mixed sets). Electivire meanwhile can make use of its really nice coverage to break walls and 2HKO lots of stuff to help its teammates. Of course like Cherub said its problem is being kinda weak and being unable to OHKO things that it should, although entry hazards change that a little. Electivire may not be a top tier wallbreaker but it certainly isn't a top tier cleaner either.

Also I'm not convinced that Mag + Vire is a good core. They overlap offensively quite a lot; it's different from weakening each other's counters because they both do the job of breaking Vileplume / Lanturn / etc and don't really benefit from each other's breaking as much as another faster cleaner would. Breaking the same things doesn't exactly sound like a good core, you know?

Maybe you could elaborate on why you think EVire as a cleaner pairs well with Magmortar?

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone suggested this yet?

Slurpuff
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Flamethrower / Substitute

I used to run this in XY UU; it's now our NU Azumarill!

Due to its typing; speed and coverage, it's an upgrade from Linoone!

___

As for Electivire; it seems to be an Electric-type, Physical Magmortar! I can't really see a niche for it, just a run-of-the-mill wallbreaker. Although, its good ability in Motor Drive gives it a nifty Electric immunity, something that Magmortar lacks (its Flash Fire counterpart).

I've been using defensive Slurpuff since the start of NU (on PO that is) and it's honestly quite underwhelming. It singlehandedly counters every Fighting-type there is in NU, but besides that it's rather mediocre. It's a decent alternative to Lickilicky though if you don't like to add to your Fighting-weakness. However, its bulk just doesn't cut it sometimes and it doesn't pair up as well with things like Steelix as Floette does. The standard Belly Drum set seems like it could do work though, but we still have to see.

I don't think Unburden would be the best option. If you're Wishpassing, Unburden isn't going to help much. On the other hand, Slurpuff's other ability is Sweet Veil. Much better for a utility Pokemon. I don't know. It seems like it would be much more useful.
Very true. The reason I had Unburden there was because PO Dex's description of Sweet veil is "prevents allies from being put to sleep." I didn't realize it functioned on the user as well, but it does.

Edit: To the poster above, defensive Slurpuff's utility goes well beyond acting as an excellent check to fighting-types. It checks many of the top threats in the tier, such as Shiftry and Spiritomb, and much more. Floette has several disadvantages over Slurpuff, the most noticeable of which is very small wishes. 54 HP is bordering on unusable. It also hates Knock Off, which, while Slurpuff doesn't love, it can very easily stomach and continue to function.

Last edited:
Sweet Veil is actually just as useless tbh. What are you going to avoid Sleep from? Vileplume (who has Sludge Bomb)? o.o At least Unburden allows you to take advantage of Knock Off, which can be very helpful against unaware Shiftry users.

Sweet Veil is actually just as useless tbh. What are you going to avoid Sleep from? Vileplume (who has Sludge Bomb)? o.o At least Unburden allows you to take advantage of Knock Off, which can be very helpful against unaware Shiftry users.
It's not that helpful, because since you probably have a single attacking move, the opponent can switch into one of the myriad Pokémon you can't touch offensively and force you out. Sweet Veil is slightly better.

Edit: in response to below, Sweet Veil has a few uses, which makes it better than unburden. For example, It allows you to heavily damage most Jynx sets with Play Rough.

Last edited:
It's not that helpful, because since you probably have a single attacking move, the opponent can switch into one of the myriad Pokémon you can't touch offensively and force you out. Sweet Veil is slightly better.
Unburden is rather situational on defensive Slurpuff (Knock Off is actually very common though), but it's still better than a useless ability like Sweet Veil. In theory it's a good ability, but not on Slurpuff. If you could elaborate how Sweet Veil has any competitive merit then please, but Sleep Powder is almost non-existant. The two pokes in NU that get it can either destroy you (Vileplume) or setup on you and destroy you (Vivillon):

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Vivillon Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slurpuff: 344-407 (93.4 - 110.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

There's just nothing you can absorb sleep from in the tier. Might as well make use from the Knock Off spam then, even though it won't help you that much it's something at least. Unburden is slightly better :)

On an hypotetical defensive set using Sweet Veil as its ability allows Slurpuff to act as a pivot switch against sleep moves users ad baiting Sludge Bomb or an other attacking move might be better for your next switch in and, while situational, it is certainly more useful than having a random +2 speed boost on a defensive Pokemon.

Speaking of Slurpuff in those few hours of playtesting i have found it very Hood ad each set beats the other's counters with CM smacking Steel- and Poison-Type Pokémon and Belly Drum destroying the rest.

Electivire looks extremely underwheilming on paper as it fails to OHKO even offensive Pokemon with neutral moves and defensive with SE ones but i have no actual battle experience so i might be wrong

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Electivire looks extremely underwheilming on paper as it fails to OHKO even offensive Pokemon with neutral moves and defensive with SE ones but i have no actual battle experience so i might be wrong
This has basically been Electivire's life story since the beginning of Generation 4. Nothing ever seems to die, it's a tad too slow, and its has a grand total of 2 moves it can boost its stats with (Charge Beam, Meditate). It seems destined to always be left behind in the dust.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

So run hazard support nerd. I agree that it's not like the end-all-be-all wallbreaker, but it's still good. Being able to 2HKO pretty much every common tank in the metagame isn't easy to accomplish, and with better Speed than Magmortar, there's still plenty of reason to use Electivire in NU.

Also, I've been using a Pawniard on a joke team, but it's actually really, really good lol. Just run Eviolite and then standard Bisharp set (SD/Sucker/Knock Off/Iron Head) and watch people cry. Defiant for muh Defog counter, amazing typing that allows it to bone Shiftry/Bandtomb/cat/most stuff without a Fighting-type move, base 85 Attack which is plenty for the job Pawniard tries to do, etc. 10/10 Pokemon, especially on Spikes offense.

I was messing around with Pawniard a bit the last few days too, and it really can turn a lot of things into complete fodder. Things like CBtomb, some Shiftry, Vileplume etc. I expected it to be really bad, but its actually a pretty solid Pokemon. Though I do find that 85 Atk to be really underwhelming. The number of times Pokemon are living with 2% health is way to many for me to count :(.

Another Pokemon I've been experimenting with is Wigglytuff, and the results haven't been as good. If you can get the +2 competitive boost, it can tear things apart, but its to frail to act as a pivot, and still really weak if it doesn't get the boost. On the bright side, its another Shiftry check, and can set up hazards on its own! Wouldn't really recommend it unless you really need a fairy type and hazards

I had been using this Slurpuff for some time. It is usually used as a lategame sweeper, where it gets couple of boosts against weak attackers/walls and goes for rest replenishing its health and doubling its speed, making it good enough for finishing off weakened teams.

Slurpuff @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam

It has been working decently for me. What are your thoughts guys?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Yeah Pawniard has actually threatened me on a couple of ocassions, since its Sucker Punch packs solid power and it doesn't have to worry about Granbull tanking its Knock Offs since Defiant Iron Head pretty much screws it over. Actually very competent, right up there in the list of great NFEs in the tier.

Another Pokemon I've been experimenting with is Wigglytuff, and the results haven't been as good. If you can get the +2 competitive boost, it can tear things apart, but its to frail to act as a pivot, and still really weak if it doesn't get the boost. On the bright side, its another Shiftry check, and can set up hazards on its own! Wouldn't really recommend it unless you really need a fairy type and hazards
Oh man, painful memories. Well, not really for me, more for Wigglytuff because it takes so much damage from everything jesus christ. It doesn't resist Fighting either so half the merit of having a Fairy typing is already gone down the drain. Wiggly makes a piss poor Wish Passer/cleric since it would be using those huge Wishes just to keep itself alive, and Wigglytuff's offensive movepool is wasted due to absolute crap speed. Oh and Slurpuff does both of these things better oml (I doubt you need an SR user that badly to skim over Slurpuff). Basically, Wigglytuff < Slurpuff in the same vein Meowstic-F < Kadabra: completely outclassed if Competitive isn't active.

Slurpuff @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam
ChestoRest Puff has certainly popped up in my head a couple of times before, as it helps fix up its issues with status. This set can definitely screw over defensive teams, and the ability to activate its berry at will means it can also pose a threat to offensive teams. Pyroar can potentially shut this set down though (especially with you having like no defensive investment), so you'll want to get rid of that first.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
One thing I really like about Sitrus Slurpuff, however, is that it can clean offensive teams late game without even setting up. I've actually won a game where my opponent had gotten up three layers of Spikes against me, and his last Pokemon was a Specs Pyroar that would have just cleaned me. But I managed to bring in Slurpuff on the revenge, switch out and sac something, send Slurpuff back in, switch out and sac something else, and then Sitrus Berry triggered, and I killed it with Surf. This particular situation won't happen much, but you can tank a hit with Slurpuff and clean offensive teams late-game without setting up. When you run ChestoRest, you can't do this as easily.

I guess it depends on the style of team you run it on, but being able to get that Speed boost passively is really nice and something I wouldn't want to pass up most of the time.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
One thing I really like about Sitrus Slurpuff, however, is that it can clean offensive teams late game without even setting up. I've actually won a game where my opponent had gotten up three layers of Spikes against me, and his last Pokemon was a Specs Pyroar that would have just cleaned me. But I managed to bring in Slurpuff on the revenge, switch out and sac something, send Slurpuff back in, switch out and sac something else, and then Sitrus Berry triggered, and I killed it with Surf. This particular situation won't happen much, but you can tank a hit with Slurpuff and clean offensive teams late-game without setting up. When you run ChestoRest, you can't do this as easily.

I guess it depends on the style of team you run it on, but being able to get that Speed boost passively is really nice and something I wouldn't want to pass up most of the time.
Does Slurpuff's offensive stats justify its use in this manner? Under normal circumstances, Slurpuff is unable to deal major damage to anything or sweep cleanly. Is this its only niche that you have found on your team, or does it play other more useful roles?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
Does Slurpuff's offensive stats justify its use in this manner? Under normal circumstances, Slurpuff is unable to deal major damage to anything or sweep cleanly. Is this its only niche that you have found on your team, or does it play other more useful roles?
Nah, you still use standard Calm Mind or Belly Drum, but you don't always have to set up in order to clean, particularly against offensive teams. Yeah, Slurpuff isn't very strong without boosting, but offensive teams towards the end of the game rarely have anything that can comfortably tank its attacks, particularly considering its great coverage. So no, that's not the primary function of it, just an added benefit of using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)