Underrated/unheard of video games?

Are there any video games you played that seem to fly under the radar of most people? I'm sure you have one but for me, it's the LEGO series. Popular with kids but no one seems to play them anymore. They're still really fun. Granted, it is kinda repetitive(Except LEGO City Undercover) but still fun. What about you?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Call me six but I've been a fan of Awesomenauts for a log time. I'm not sure I'd this is what kind of stuff you're looking for, but its a great game. My two favorite characters are probably Lonestar and the guys with the sort of mech suit thing and the shotgun (his name escapes me right now). Its a side scrolling game where you need to destroy the opponent's base.

Great game I highly recommend

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Are there any video games you played that seem to fly under the radar of most people? I'm sure you have one but for me, it's the LEGO series. Popular with kids but no one seems to play them anymore. They're still really fun. Granted, it is kinda repetitive(Except LEGO City Undercover) but still fun. What about you?
Lego games are my jam.

I'm a huge fan of the LEGO series too, but my favorites are obscure sports games. NFL Street 3, for instance, might be my favorite video game of all time.

I'm playing recettear on steam.

You know in rpgs you go to town and buy crap from the npc shops? In this game you are that shop owner. It sounds really boring but for some reason it's actually pretty fun. There's also a little bit of dungeon adventuring too to collect some items to sell in your shop.

ps: and a little added bonus is you get to hear the japanese cuz ppl were too lazy to make an english voice set.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lego games never disappoint

Dragon Warrior Monsters for the GBC is pretty fun and I don't see a lot of talk about it... At least not in the west.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I played Amazing Island a lot when I was younger. For those who don't know it has a surprisingly robust monster creator where you can actually draw profiles of individual body parts and then the game converts the profiles to a 3D model of your monster, which you can then accessorize as you see fit.

Needless to say I made a giant flying box with dragon wings and a duck bill and it was terrifying.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lengthy post of underrated games incoming!

Spec Ops: The Line

Spec Ops is a criminally underrated 3rd person shooter. One of the good ones. It's about a group of soldiers going into a post-apocalyptic Dubai for a search & rescue mission. It has a pretty deep psychological story, and a really satisfying ending. The shooting mechanics are great and simple, and gameplay is fun. One thing about it is that you actually grow attached to the 2 soldiers you command, which is really nice to see in a shooter.

Sniper Elite v2

This is another 3rd person shooter where you snipe Hitler's balls off and watch them crack, literally. You play as a sniper in World War II, mainly in Germany. It's pretty fucking awesome despite getting mixed and mostly 6/10 reviews, really fun game. There is just something satisfying about shooting a bullet at someone's head and seeing, in X-Ray vision, their skulls crack and the bullet going through their eyes, or their temple breaking, or a bullet that goes right through the heart, etc. It's really fun despite being flawed here and there.

Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Very, very, very criminally underrated and almost not known by anyone. CiNG (the studio behind this game) is a really underrated studio that sadly went bankrupt years ago after releasing the sequel to this game that I'll be writing about shortly. Hotel Dusk is an adventure/point&click game that plays as if you're reading a book, and you would hold the DS as if you're holding a book (sideways). It's about Kyle Hyde, a former police detective who's retired and working as a door to door salesman with the purpose of finding his old partner. It's got really good atmosphere, very believable and relatable characters, good and realistic story, and good puzzles. It's a fantastic DS game, and probably in my top 10 favourite games of all time.

Last Window: Secret of Cape West

This is the sequel to Hotel Dusk, and the game CiNG went bankrupt after releasing. It's got all of Hotel Dusk's features, but with a fresh (and just as good) story.

Tales of Vesperia

This is the pinnacle of the tales series imo, and the best of them. Often overlooked because it's a 360 exclusive and was only released on PS3 in Japan. The gameplay is the same as all other Tales games, with somewhat improved features, and an added new feature called the Skill System. It's simple, you gain Learning Points through battles, and when enough are learned the character learns a new skill, which allows a character to say, for example, attack 4 times instead of 3, or boost defense etc. They can also be found with equipment or weapons. The plot is what sets it away from other Tales games though. It's got your generic saving-the-world Tales plot with a damsel in distress on the side, but it's got twists and turns that really make it interesting and the details are pretty wonderful. It's also got the best set of characters in a Tales game imo.

The Last Story

The Last Story was part of Operation Rainfall, an operation that aimed to make Nintendo localize the 3 Japanese Wii games that didn't get localized because Reggie is a dick, basically. The two other games were Pandora Tower and Xenoblade. The Last Story, being one of the last Wii games (herp a derp) was a really fine game to remember the Wii by. It's got a fucking amazing battle system that's so fucking addicting, even though the story is kinda cliche, but it doesn't matter. The story is about a bunch of mercenaries with one of them (the protagonist) falling in love with a princess, and yeah. It's also directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi which is the godfather of the Final Fantasy series, and I've heard from many that the battle system is similar to that of FF12's, but I don't really know because I never played that. As I said before, the gameplay is really addicting. It's a mixture of strategy, action, and a bit of hack&slash. You control the protagonist while giving commands to the rest of your party to heal/attack/defend etc, and you can perform a couple combos and 'skills' like jumping on the wall to strike an enemy behind its back or something similar. Really underrated, and was overshadowed by Xenoblade. It's biggest flaw though was the fact that it was really easy, wasn't challenging at all sadly except for the final boss.

Then there are things like the 2 console Fire Emblem games on GC & Wii (really underrated, VERY good), Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (the most perfect games I've ever played in my life, totally not overrating), Dishonoured, Far Cry 3, and The Witcher 2. The last 3 might not strike you as underrated, but I feel like they are because they don't get the praise they should be. Dishonoured is a fantastic stealth game that emphasizes on assassination, which is just fucking outright badass and so well-made. You play as an assassin that can stop time, take control of humans/animals, blink (as in warp small distances), etc etc it's just fucking awesome. Far Cry 3 is the only game I played that lets you skin pigs for their leather, go on a boat trip to hunt sharks, and then go back to the jungle to wrestle a tiger for its leather, then sneaking into enemy bases and taking them all out silently to conquer their base. That's so much fun and awesome and just badass. Then there's The Witcher 2, which is in the top 3 of my favourite games of all time, with the other two being Dark Souls and OoT. I'm too lazy to write about it now because it really needs quite a bit of writing, but it's fucking awesome so go play it.

DAE Earthbound/Mother series???

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter was a really good one. Campaign TPS for consoles that had complex bosses and jetpack + dodge-heavy combat, introduced a lot of cool backstory to Jango Fett imo(seriously fuck disney for retconning literally all of the writers' work outside of the movies and TCW)

A game that I'm pretty sure no one knows about is Nuclear Throne.
It's an Arcade Shooter where you can find tons of gun types (Some are really cool) to kill hoards of enemies. You're going to need these crazy weapons because this game is HARD (I've seen someone who can barely get pass the second boss).

Another is The Binding of Isaac.
A great game (made by the creators of Super Meat Boy) that sadly not many people know about. It's a randomly generated game where you can get only a few out of the hundreds of items in the game. It plays a bit like Zelda but saying that it's a clone is not even close. I hear they're making a de-make with more items and an updated soundtrack.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective.
Created by Shu Takumi, the Same guy behind the Ace Attorney series... but doesn't even have a fraction of the HYPE.

Radiant Historia.
Another DS RPG... criminally unheard of, excellent well structured plot.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Etrian Odyssey series is literally amazing, yet so underrated :<
another handheld rpg series neglected but somehow still garnering enough revenue to make five sequels goddamn atlus

Nier
Vanquish
Sleeping Dogs
Blur
Valkyria Chronices
Catherine
Little King's Story
Alpha Protocol

I own all of these games with the exception of Little King's Story and I consider all of them to be underrated yet worth your time. I also agree with Arikado that both Specs Ops: The Line and Sniper Elite V2 are both great games.

Child of Light

Incredibly beautiful RPG by Ubisoft Montreal, wonderful battle system, breathtaking graphics.

Available for fifteen bucks on nintendo E shop (Wii U), as well as PS4 and XBO, I believe.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor

This is my jam

Like, awesome music, a halfway decent fighting system, and EMERL. OH GOD EMERL. I cried at the end ;-;

Oh and you can customize Emerl using everyone else's moves, which was p. frackin' cool

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

This game is so underrated that it isn't even funny. The story is pretty much like it is in the show, but does have some extra elements to mix things up a bit. As for the gameplay, it's a turn-based RPG, which is a rather unexpected genre for a game based on an anime to go with, but trust me, it's good. There's no post-game, but the game's pretty long, and will keep you busy for a while. And the best part: skippable cutscenes!

We all know the franchise but this game is the worst selling game in the series fuck the a link to the past remake and imo it's the best handheld game in the series, the music is just godly, the temple of winds is one of the best dungeons in Zelda history, and while not very innovative I love the mechanics in the game such as the ability to change your size. The kinstone trading also allows you to feel a sense of progress and make you work for the pieces of hearts as opposed to bombing every fucking wall. If you haven't played it yet, play it.
Edit:

Last edited:

Mia Wallace

Banned deucer.
It's sad that a majority of you guys are naming games that are generally known to be good...There are tons of 10/10 Gems that most poeple have never even heard off, I'll list some for you guys.

As Tonks said,
Okage: Shadow King

This is honestly one of the BEST RPG's I have EVER played. It follows a cast of Unique and Original characters through a morbid and depressing world where nothing is as it seems and sadistic adventures await you around every turn. It's an easy game to get used to in terms of mechanics and controls, it's a basic RPG that feels similar to FFX in playstyle. However, It's the story telling that completely makes this game a 10/10 hidden Gem. It Feels like you're playing through a Tim Burton Film or an Edgar Allen Poe story. Whether you're an RPG person or not, this is a game that you'll pick up, fall in love with the plot, and not want to put down until it's finished. I highly suggest this PS2 Classic.

Kingsley's Adventure

Sony's PS1 Ocarina of Time Rip off...that was actually just as good as OoT...So why isn't it more heard of? Because when you look at the childish graphics and get set in a game that looks like it's design for kids, you don't really care to venture deeper in. However, I swear to God this is Dark Souls before Dark Souls. This game was such a fantastic and enjoyable challenge. Puzzles that required you to actually google shit to figure out things, But this game is so old that google wasn't really a thing. I had to buy a book on playing the piano to solve a puzzle, only to realize solving that puzzle opened a door to a boss who would just constantly OHKO me no matter how careful I was...( seriously, fuck you , you stupid generic looking Dragon. )
In all seriousness, it's pretty much a Zelda game with out the iconic Zelda characters. And when I say that, I also mean it has a fantastic soundtrack that perfectly captures the world around you.

Scooby Doo: Cyber Chase(Ps1 port)

Fantastic game! Honestly this was SUCH a GREAT game to play through. It's pretty much a more in depth exploration of the movies story. You get to PLAY through the video game that Scooby and the gang go through in the movie! This game is filled with great level design, challenging bosses, and a really good addition to the gallery of already great Scooby Doo games. While there isn't really much to say about this game plot wise or gameplay wise, since it plays like most PS1 adventure games and follows the game's plot, I do suggest picking it up simply because it's fun and you're sure to have a great time playing it.

Q*bert

There's nothing you can say about good old Q*bert other then it is a 10/10 underrated/unheard of classic. Like, seriously...If you ever go to an Arcade and see the cabinet, play it. If you're going through a thrift store and see the PS1 version, get it and play it. Hundreds of hours of fun.

Sword of the Berserk, Guts' Rage

Taking place after the anime ( Obviously ), You play as Gut ( obviously ) and you rage ( obviously ). But I'll be straight forward, this IS the Berserk game that fans deserved. It has a Dark Souls/Hack and Slash combat system that puts you in Guts shoes, wielding his iconic sword, and encountering all the classic characters from the anime/mange ( you know the ones who weren't ripped apart or eaten by demons or cut in half or blown up or burnt alive, the living ones I guess ). It's a completely original story that Feels like something you'd read in the manga and it's just great. While some of the character modeling is laughable, mainly some of Casca's facial expressions ( google them, laugh hard ) It's overall a fantastic Hack and Slash/Adventure game that seriously puts you in the world of Berserk. PLEASE THOUGH, DO NOT PLAY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE MANGA OR WATCHED THE ANIME. IT CONTAINS HEAVY SPOILERS AND KIND OF WON'T MAKE SENSE...

I'll probably getting around to posting more in this thread, as someone who's played thousands of games I find myself enjoying the underrated ones more than the big name games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)