Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... the new Pokedex is blatantly based off of the GBA...? Also, Brawly! Nice tan!

And Madame Pikachu? Sounds like it could be a Contest reference, to me.

Actually, if you look really close to the scan, you can see the typing is still Steel / Psychic.
It's not super clear of course, but you can figure out by the number of characters and the shape.
I assume that Serebii either has direct access to the magazine, or has contacts who do, but they have not confirmed the typing as of yet. It probably won't change, but we'll just have to wait and see to know for sure.

I wish my GBA looked like that, when I was a kid...

Metagross resists 9 types out of the 18, and one is fairy. Resists HALF OF THE TOTAL OF TYPINGS. That is definitely not a bad typing. And it's immune to poison. So that's 10!
In terms of resistances and weaknesses, it doesn't matter how many you resist. It matters WHAT you resist. Resisting things like grass, pychic, steel and poison isn't really much of an achievement so already that's us down to 6. Fairy, Flying, Dragon and Rock are nice resistances, sure.
Now what's it weak to? Ghost, Dark, Fire and Ground. All of which are EXTREMELY common and good in the metagame, I'd argue the most used and best. I don't see how you can argue it's a good defensive typing when it's two new weaknesses are what sent it to UU this gen.
I wasn't even talking defensively. I was talking offensively. As a STAB combination, Steel/Psychic is good for hitting Fairies and that's really about it. It's a really horrible STAB combination and you'd barely ever see psychic or steel moves on anything that doesn't have STAB on them. So yeah, I'd argue a massive attack stat and tough claws is needed for this STAB combination to be impressive as a Mega.

Now if we could get off the metagame subject, please...?

Now back to the Generation III; I believe that Generation III was the last Generation to introduce a good number of Pokémon that clearly sucked. Mixed attackers like Cacturne and Seviper had decent offensive stats at best, but every other stat and their abilities were terrible. There were even some Pokémon that are not even fixable, like Mightyena. Gamefreak would probably be doing that region a favor if a decent handful of those Megas came from Hoenn.

What do you guys think?
Defineing useless as pokemon with no competitive merit at all:

Gen 3: Mightyena; Beautifly; Distox; Pellipper; Masquerain; Nosepass*; Delcatty; Plusle; Minun; Illumise; Roselia*; Swalot; Spinda; Serviper; Lunatone; Solrock **; Wiscash; Castform; Keckleon; Tropius; Chimecho; Relicanth; Luvdisc

* - Roselia got a later evolution which made it useful; Nosepass got one too which made it a hazard setter in lower tiers
** - Solrock is useless now but was an effective low-tier suicide lead in Gen 4 due to Explosion and Rocks.

Discounting Legends and NFE's; that's 23/66 fully evolved pokemon. 21/64 if you discount Nosepass and Roselia; and 20/64 if you count Gen 4 Solrock being useful.

New Introduction Useless %:
34.84% / 32.81% / 31.25%

Gen 4: Lumineon; Bibarel; Kricketune; Luxray; Bastiodon; Wormadam; Mothim; Pachirisu; Vespiquen; Cherrim; Lopunny; Chatot; Carnivine.

All of those are useless, when you discount Moody Bibarel since he's banned. I'm being generous to Rampardos due to Trick Room and Purugly since she did have a gimmick set in NU before [Fake Out + Last Resort with her speed]. That's 13/32 of the fully evolved; non-legendary [Rotom is not Legendary]; non-'new evolution' pokemon introduced in Gen 4 that are useless. [That moment when you realize how few new lines were actually added in Gen 4; half the number of Gen 3]

New Introduction Useless %: 40.62%

Gen 5: Watchog; Simisage; Simisear; Unfezant; Swoobat; Audino; Seismitoad; Leavanny; Basculin; Maractus; Archeops; Swanna; Vanilluxe; Emolga; Beheeyem; Cryongal; Bouffalant; Heatmor; Stunfisk

Again; discounting legends [Volcarona is not a legend] and NFE's; we have 19/69 ; and this is with me being VERY generous to Simipour [Saw occasional low-tier use with a NP set] and Beartic [Saw occasional rain team use with Swift Swim].

This gives a % of 27.53%

As it is pretty clear; the real newbies in Gen 4 [Not things like Yanmega which were improvements on old mons who needed them. They're practically like Mega Evolutions are doing now]. need the help A LOT more than Gen 3. I think of the new lines introduced in any generation; Generation 4 has the worst overall in terms of competitive viability.

That said; the fact that Gen 4 only actually introduced 32 non-legendary new lines and had to fill the obligatory derp slots isn't helping.

Defineing useless as pokemon with no competitive merit at all:

Gen 3: Mightyena; Beautifly; Distox; Pellipper; Masquerain; Nosepass*; Delcatty; Plusle; Minun; Illumise; Roselia*; Swalot; Spinda; Serviper; Lunatone; Solrock **; Wiscash; Castform; Keckleon; Tropius; Chimecho; Relicanth; Luvdisc

* - Roselia got a later evolution which made it useful; Nosepass got one too which made it a hazard setter in lower tiers
** - Solrock is useless now but was an effective low-tier suicide lead in Gen 4 due to Explosion and Rocks.

Discounting Legends and NFE's; that's 23/66 fully evolved pokemon. 21/64 if you discount Nosepass and Roselia; and 20/64 if you count Gen 4 Solrock being useful.

New Introduction Useless %:
34.84% / 32.81% / 31.25%

Gen 4: Lumineon; Bibarel; Kricketune; Luxray; Bastiodon; Wormadam; Mothim; Pachirisu; Vespiquen; Cherrim; Lopunny; Chatot; Carnivine.

All of those are useless, when you discount Moody Bibarel since he's banned. I'm being generous to Rampardos due to Trick Room and Purugly since she did have a gimmick set in NU before [Fake Out + Last Resort with her speed]. That's 13/32 of the fully evolved; non-legendary [Rotom is not Legendary]; non-'new evolution' pokemon introduced in Gen 4 that are useless. [That moment when you realize how few new lines were actually added in Gen 4; half the number of Gen 3]

New Introduction Useless %: 40.62%

Gen 5: Watchog; Simisage; Simisear; Unfezant; Swoobat; Audino; Seismitoad; Leavanny; Basculin; Maractus; Archeops; Swanna; Vanilluxe; Emolga; Beheeyem; Cryongal; Bouffalant; Heatmor; Stunfisk

Again; discounting legends [Volcarona is not a legend] and NFE's; we have 19/69 ; and this is with me being VERY generous to Simipour [Saw occasional low-tier use with a NP set] and Beartic [Saw occasional rain team use with Swift Swim].

This gives a % of 27.53%

As it is pretty clear; the real newbies in Gen 4 [Not things like Yanmega which were improvements on old mons who needed them. They're practically like Mega Evolutions are doing now]. need the help A LOT more than Gen 3. I think of the new lines introduced in any generation; Generation 4 has the worst overall in terms of competitive viability.

That said; the fact that Gen 4 only actually introduced 32 non-legendary new lines and had to fill the obligatory derp slots isn't helping.
Just going to say that actually Crygonal, Seismitoed, Archeops, Bouffalant and Stunfisk are actually useful in NU and if you don't count Probopass as being bad you shouldn't count these either.

I stand by my observation that MegaGross stays Steel / Psychic.
If anyone's interested, here's why:
Look at the right page scan (the one with Flannery and co. at the bottom)
The name is, of course, Mega-Metagross (メガメタグロス)
Look two lines below, which clearly says Type (タイプ) followed by a string of not-so-clear characters.
But I hope you would agree that, judging by the length alone, MegaGross is a dual-type.
I am 95% sure the primary type is Steel (はがね) because you can still make out the shape of はが
(And no one doubts it's Steel typing anyway, the real dispute is whether it keeps Psychic)
So, on to the secondary type. This is a tough one.
But the key is to recognise that it ends with a dash (-)
Only two types end with a dash: Psychic (エスパー) and lol Fairy (フエアリー)
I don't think even TrollFreak would troll us by giving it a Fairy typing, not to mention it doesn't fit the design at all.

contests are confirmed

Edit @ 15:04: We now have more images from John Lenoso which show various forms of Pikachu which appear to be related to the contests. Madam Pikachu & Hard Rock Pikachu on the first image, and Idol Pikachu, Doctor Pikachu and Masked Pikachu on the second. It states that more will be revealed on this in the issue next month. It also confirms that Pokémon Amie returns.

Eduardo2013

Banned deucer.
Random professor birch running on the right corner lol that's probably the beginning scene after you save him from the pokemon.

Can somebody seriously tell me wtf is going on because
All these pikachu
What the fuck
I legit don't know what to make of this
Is this furfrou-sort of styling or contests or what I am so confused

Eduardo2013

Banned deucer.
Can somebody seriously tell me wtf is going on because
All these pikachu
What the fuck
I legit don't know what to make of this
Is this furfrou-sort of styling or contests or what I am so confused
I believe it is different outfits for the pokemon contests they are taking the concept of dressing up pokemon from diamond pearl and platinum.

Apparently since my post has been removed I have to say something the last post doesn't say: The post from John Lenoso says that Steven Stone is the champion. Also we can see redesigns for Sidney and Phoebe, members of the elite four. Also, there's Flannery, Roxanne, Wattson, Brawly and Norman.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really like the redesigns for the Gym Leaders, a good update but still true to the character.

It looks like Phoebe will have Dusknoir. That's interesting, I think usually in remakes they keep the teams the same, but this time they're going on ahead with just evolving her Dusclops to Dusknoir.

It looks like she is the only Elite Four who didn't have a fully evolved Pokemon on her team (although it was fully evolved at the time) so it looks like no one else is going to evolve their Pokemon, although they might Mega Evolve. She also has two Dusclops in RSE, so I'm predicting she'll have one Dusclops and one Dusknoir...I just hope the Dusclops doesn't have Eviolite, that would be an absolute pain.

Last edited:
I am pretty excited at how they confirmed Dusknoir for in-game. This should mean we're getting Froslass, Magnezone, Gallade, any gen 4 evo of a Pokémon from Hoenn. Which is great, because Glacia really needed a different ice-type.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Now, that's something against E4 members having ME evolutions unless Mega Dusknoir becomes a thing lol
She could still have Mega Banette or Mega Sableye. More likely the latter, since it's new, and it looks like she only has one.

I really like the redesigns for the Gym Leaders, a good update but still true to the character.

It looks like Phoebe will have Dusknoir. That's interesting, I think usually in remakes they keep the teams the same, but this time they're going on ahead with just evolving her Dusclops to Dusknoir.

It looks like she is the only Elite Four who didn't have a fully evolved Pokemon on her team (although it was fully evolved at the time) so it looks like no one else is going to evolve their Pokemon, although they might Mega Evolve. She also has two Dusclops in RSE, so I'm predicting she'll have one Dusclops and one Dusknoir...I just hope the Dusclops doesn't have Eviolite, that would be an absolute pain.
Phoebe had like 3 Dusclops on her team, makes sense that atleast 1 of them had to evolve

Now, that's something against E4 members having ME evolutions unless Mega Dusknoir becomes a thing lol
I'm actually theorizing Mega Dusknoir could be a thing.
More out of version counterparts than anything. XY gave us megas for the ruby-exclusive Mawile and the semi-sapphire exclusive Banette. Since Sableye got a mega, it only makes sense to me they'd balance out by giving Dusknoir a mega.

Glacia had two Sealeos. Now she's likely to get a Froslass too ^^

She could still have Mega Banette or Mega Sableye. More likely the latter, since it's new, and it looks like she only has one.
But it would make sense for them to show the gym leaders/E4 members with their ace pokémon, right? If the ace pokémon is the one to mega evolve, either they'll mega evolve Dusknoir or there'll be no mega evolutions, being the second scenario much more likely. They wasted the chance of giving Phoebe a Mega Sableye :(

I'm actually theorizing Mega Dusknoir could be a thing.
More out of version counterparts than anything. XY gave us megas for the ruby-exclusive Mawile and the semi-sapphire exclusive Banette. Since Sableye got a mega, it only makes sense to me they'd balance out by giving Dusknoir a mega.
That would be nice, but then we would have too many ghost megas from Hoenn and I'm not sure I find this a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)