np: XY OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Ghost of Perdition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, but why diversity is used as an argument for aegislash banning? Who gives a fuck if mega gardevoir, mega medicham and so on become more usable? Actually, that means more pokemon to stop when teambuilding, which only brings the matchup problems, lel, gen 5 wasn't centralized, the "weather wars" had an enormous bunch of usable pokemons, and a bunch of "playstyle" does sunstall brings you any bell? hailstall, rainstall, rain offense, sand offense, sunvolturn? Normal volturn? Let's not forget about weatherless who was still used. They were too many playstyle to stop and you simply couldn't do it, that's how we ended up with the "shitty" gen 5 and the matchup problem.
If we ban now Aegislash, we end up with the same fucking problem here in Gen 6, not that now the problem it's solved or something, but if Aegislash kicks the bucket we just end up aggravating the situation, when we should learn from bw and solve this problem right now.
And yes, Aegislash does not have a single fucking counter, well, what did you expect? have you seen the sad stateof this metagame? nearly nothing has a damn counter, why are we focusing about Aegislash, when he has to take stupid stuff like life orb head smash just to kill mandibuzz when we have Mawile, and Charizard, who can smash their would-be counters without too much efforts? Heck, Manaphy too doesn't have a damn counter, but wonder of it all, it's even outclassed at the moment, pure madness.

It's definitely over centralizing and can fit on any team, there's little reason not to use it actually, it's just that amazing. I think every play style has some sort of trouble against it, Trick Room (this typically has very little it can do to Aegislash) Rain Hyper Offense King's Shield can help stall out the turns and it can take hits in return and dish them. Stall usually has problems against it too and Hyper Offense might have hard hitters but if Aegislash is up against something that can't harm it much something is probably going to die and can rinse and repeat. Pokemon are forced to run a move just for it, DD Tyranitar has to run EQ or forced into 50/50 mind game with King's Shield, Mega Heracross has to run EQ, Terrakion or it's completely walled, etc. Aegislash great defensive stats in shield mode allow it to take even specs Hydro Pumps and some super effective STAB moves and can retaliate with a Shadow Ball followed by a Shadow Sneak coming from 150 dual attacking stats. All in all, I was on the fence about Aegislash before but now I'm leaning towards ban even if it keeps things like Mega Gardevoir, L@tias, Mega Medicham, Terrakion etc, in check.

Aegislash is a very powerful and diverse Pokemon. It is capable of running many different sets effectively. For instance: SD, special, semi stall, just to name a few. However, it has some pretty huge shortcomings that make it not ban worthy IMO.

King's Shield
It's signature move, and it's only way to switch between it's two forms. It acts similar to protect as it protects against all attacking moves. However, it doesn't protect against status conditions and sharply lowers the attack of Pokemon who use contact attacks on it while it while it uses it. This leaves it open to Will o Wisp, effectively crippling it. Additionally, some of the best moves to use against it aren't effected by the stat drop. Earthquake, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Earth Power, Dark Pulse... The list goes on and on. There are very few moves that are viable to use against it that are effected.

It's typing
It's typing leaves it weak to some of the most common attacking types in the game! Dark, Ground, Fire, and Ghost!

It needs to KO while in Blade form, or it's done for
Seriously, if Aegislash can't secure a KO while in blade form, due to it's common weakness and frail defences in blade form it pretty much guaranteed to die. And their's now way around that! You can't run sash because you need to set up to do the most damage possible! Leftovers only help in shield form, and air balloon pops after one attack!

There are plenty of Pokemon that can easily check and/or counter it
For instance:
Bisharp: Resists both of it's STABs. Just keep it away from Sacred Sword and you're good.
Mega Venasaur: Resists Sacred Sword, and is bulky enough to tank some Ghost and Steel attacks.
Mandibuzz:Resists Ghost and can easily take Steel and Sacred Sword.
Dragonite: Resists Sacred Sword, and has Multiscale to help deal with Ghost and Steel. Also has access to some powerful fire type attacks such as Fire Punch.
Gliscor: Resistant to Sacred Sword, and has poison heal to help recover from Ghost and Steel attacks. It also sports an impressive STAB Earthquake to easily KO Aegislash.

The list goes on and on, but those are the checks/counters I find work best.

Overall, I find Aegislash is quite the force to be reckoned with, but not worthy of being banished to Ubers. Let it stay, it doesn't severely limit team building as many of it's best checks/counters are already useful even without Aegislash.

LET AEGISLASH STAY

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Ok I'm not really understanding the whole "forced to run this move because of Aegislash" argument.
DD Tyranitar has to run EQ or forced into 50/50 mind game with King's Shield
The last time I checked DD Ttar translates more towards mega ttar, and EQ is definitely a viable option to get past things like Heatran much more efficiently.
Mega Heracross has to run EQ, Terrakion or it's completely walled
Or you can just use the partners that you have on your team to help handle that, cause you know, it's not a 1v1 game.
Aegislash great defensive stats in shield mode allow it to take even specs Hydro Pumps
I don't really see the problem with this. You know what else does that? Chansey, and no one is really complaining.

I've only been able to play a couple matches on the suspect right now due to my schedule today so I can't really say for sure how I feel about Aegislash. I'm still on the no ban side due to some bias that I've seen in the pro side arguments, I'll admit some brought up good points so keep them coming.

Aegislash is a very powerful and diverse Pokemon. It is capable of running many different sets effectively. For instance: SD, special, semi stall, just to name a few. However, it has some pretty huge shortcomings that make it not ban worthy IMO.

King's Shield
It's signature move, and it's only way to switch between it's two forms. It acts similar to protect as it protects against all attacking moves. However, it doesn't protect against status conditions and sharply lowers the attack of Pokemon who use contact attacks on it while it while it uses it. This leaves it open to Will o Wisp, effectively crippling it. Additionally, some of the best moves to use against it aren't effected by the stat drop. Earthquake, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Earth Power, Dark Pulse... The list goes on and on. There are very few moves that are viable to use against it that are effected.
1. If anything King's Shield is better than protect. Most Aegi don't mind burn too much, it's immune to toxic and it doesn't care about thunder wave.
2. The best moves to use against it are inherently non-contact, so you are committing a circulus in probando fallacy, or circular reasoning.

It's typing
It's typing leaves it weak to some of the most common attacking types in the game! Dark, Ground, Fire, and Ghost!
If anything its typing is a strength; Aegislash resists 9 and is immune to 3 and its also entirely unique. There are plenty of pokemon in ubers that are weak to dark/ground/fire/ghost -- those are just good attacking types.

It needs to KO while in Blade form, or it's done for
Seriously, if Aegislash can't secure a KO while in blade form, due to it's common weakness and frail defences in blade form it pretty much guaranteed to die. And their's now way around that! You can't run sash because you need to set up to do the most damage possible! Leftovers only help in shield form, and air balloon pops after one attack!
This makes no sense.
1. Aegislash underspeeds most pokemon, meaning it's taking hits in shield form.
2. If you're talking about the next turn, that's why king's shield exists.
3. The points about sash and air balloon are irrelevant (and moot) and leftovers works in blade form -_-

There are plenty of Pokemon that can easily check and/or counter it
For instance:
Bisharp: Resists both of it's STABs. Just keep it away from Sacred Sword and you're good.
Mega Venasaur: Resists Steel and Sacred Sword, and is bulky enough to tank some ghost attacks.
Mandibuzz:Resists Ghost and can easily take Steel and Sacred Sword.
Dragonite: Resists Sacred Sword, and has Multiscale to help deal with Ghost and Steel. Also has access to some powerful fire type attacks such as Fire Punch.
Gliscor: Resistant to Steel and Sacred Sword, and has poison heal to help recover from Ghost attacks. It also sports an impressive STAB Earthquake to easily KO Aegislash.

The list goes on and on, but those are the checks/counters I find work best.

Overall, I find Aegislash is quite the force to be reckoned with, but not worthy of being banished to Ubers. Let it stay, it doesn't severely limit team building as many of it's best checks/counters are already useful even without Aegislash.
1. Switching bisharp in is pretty much a 50/50.
2. Mega Venu doesn't resist steel, and defensive version hates shadow ball. Guess what, Aegislash also resists both its STABs...
3. Multiscale helps with everything, KS activates on fire punch. If anything it uses EQ.
4. Doesn't resist steel, but the only real consistent counter to Aegislash you have mentioned.

JungleB You realize Aegislash almost always goes last right? it doesn't have to OHKO anything as it can just go into shield mode the next turn.
Yeah I know, but if it attacks again, or you predict it, it's pretty much dead.

EDIT: About saying Venasaur resists Steel. Whoops. I must have been getting confused with another poke. I just woke up so... Fail. I'll edit that out.

EDIT 2: DANGIT. Derped again. Gliscor doesn't resist Steel. Weird. I always thought it did.

EDIT 3: Yes I know Leftovers works in Blade form, but what I meant is that it's irrelevant as it won't heal enough anyways.

Last edited:
Here's a good conversation fodder: Aegislash has as many weaknesses as it does strengths.

Pros;
Aegislash is a tricky poke. When it's out, your opponent has to predict your movement. It's statistics also leave for fantastic defensive measure and also fantastic offensive measure. He also has quite the coverage and KO ability. Sacred Sword for anti-boosters, Shadow Sneak for... whatever you want to use it for, and then that other move (I use Shadow Ball, because the Mixed Set is Godly, though Swords Dance is fine too). Also, King's Shield is the best anti-physical sweeper move to ever grace this metagame. And last but not least, Chansey counter.

Cons;
Aegislash has nothing to do against status inducers. The only thing it walls off is Toxic. All other moves bypass KS. That leaves a severe problem, as burn kills normal Aegislash even if he switch happens. Aegislash also is weak to the most common of Pokemon. Excadrill, Mega Zards, Ghosts in general, and Darks in general. It also is wrecked by Clefable. There's that too

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
As for the status of Aegislash, right now I'm convinced it's neither broken nor unhealthy for the game, though I'll make my final stance on it after playing some games on the suspect ladder.

ok so I have been seeing a lot of really funny arguments right here in this thread. I never felt like Aegislash was broken in the slightest and frankly, the pro-ban
arguments are sometimes so laughably bad that they only reinforce my opinion that Aegislash shouldn't be banned. Let's break the main reasons why Aegislash is supposedly banworthy down, shall we?

Aegislash forces 50/50s. This is the central argument from the pro-ban side and also a very amusing one. Why, you ask? Because that's pretty much the whole thing the tier's centered around. It's called prediction, folks. Yes, your opponent can either go for KS or attack, the first being a generally safe option, albeit one that doesn't really hurt your opponent because you're not attacking him, nor are you setting up, and the second being the risky play, which can dent a potential switchin by quite a bit but risks just getting KOd if your opponent predicts it. Now what is apparently the big issue is that the 50/50s Aegislash forces are unfair and luck-based. I, however, fail to see how KS vs attack is any different from the average 50/50. Let's say my HP Fighting/Fire Latios is in on your Landorus. My opponent has a Bisharp. Now I could use HP to nail Bisharp on the switch, but if my opponent knows that would be too obvious he could just stay in and use Sludge Wave to finish me off (for the sake of convenience let's assume Latios is weakened and can be KOd by Sludge Wave at this range), so maybe I want to go for Draco Meteor instead. It's not exactly the same situation of course, but the line can be drawn: Draco Meteor is the safer option because you don't immediately get KOd in case your opponent predicts correctly and HP is the riskier play, but it is a better reaction to the most obvious play your opponent can make, just like KS is the safer option where Aegislash doesn't get harmed when it does it, but does open the way for, say, a Landorus to come in and threaten it out, thus shifting the offensive momentum towards the opponent, whereas Shadow Ball is a much riskier play because you risk a certain KO in case your opponent predicts correctly, but is less obvious and therefor might catch the opponent off guard. Face it: The meta right now is 50/50s, banning one or two Pokemon that are part of this 50/50-heavy meta doesn't solve the problem.

On another note, when Aegislash wins a 50/50, the worst that can happen is that something is severely dented, for there isn't much that is OHKOd by standard crumbler and it has no means of setting up successfully bar WP sets and Stance Dance, which both come with their fair share of problems. I'm way more terrified of losing a 50/50 vs, say, a Mawile, because if it SDs on the switch then there's a fat chance that at least one of my mons is roflstomped.

Its stats are too good. Yeah uh, you should never base your arguments on raw stats. Unlike what many people state, it doesn't have an effective BST of 720 because you have to keep on using KS to keep that bulk. Also, if Kyurem-B proved anything, it's that base stats don't say much about how good the Pokemon is. One thing that people also forget is that, when they are talking about Aegislash' offensive presence they only take into account that it has "THE SAME OFFENSES AS DEOXYS", whereas nobody seems to really shine a light on the fact that a) Aegislash' main STAB move has a BP of 80, which is hardly impressive and b) considering Aegislash is generally used as a tank and needs to be able to switch up moves to be effective, meaning that most boosting items (LO and Choice items) are generally not very good choices for it (bar lure sets, which I will come back to later on). These 2 facts mean that Aegislash isn't as strong as people are making it out to be. With bulk that is only in effect after a KS (and a shitty HP st and offensive stats that are compromised by a kinda weak STAB move and the need for some survivability, these base stats suddenly aren't that spectacular anymore, now are they?

It's overcentralizing. This is blatantly false. Yes, you have to prepare for Aegislash, but you have to prepare for every top threat, so Aegislash isn't unique in this regard. What's more is that you don't have to run things specifically for it in order to not be screwed by it. Anything that does a good job at checking Aegislash has other purposes. Bring me examples of times where you feel like your team is well-built but can't fit a proper answer to Aegislash on it. Furthermore, apparently it's a big deal that some mons run EQ over something else in order to be able to hit Aegislash, but I don't see this as a great example of why Aegislash would be so overcentralizing, because these mons can afford to run EQ anyway: Ttar would otherwise run Superpower over EQ, which generally hits the same targets as EQ but is slightly stronger at the cost of a stat drop, choiced Terrakion only needs its STABs to cover pretty much anything it needs and can do whatever with its last two slots anyway and Mega Pinsir would otherwise run CC, which also generally hits the same targets but is slightly stronger at the cost of a stat drop. This does show some centralization, but none of these examples show me that people run necessarily bad things for Aegislash, but rather slightly inferior things that they would otherwise pass up, but as is the case with any top threat, if you're able to hit it hard without passing any coverage up, why wouldn't you?

It's versatile. None more versatile than others, I'd say. Aegislash has two main sets: Crumbler and SubToxic. Other than these, it has some niche sets like lures (max speed to donk Bisharp, LO Flash Cannon to beat Mandibuzz more reliably, etc) and some sweeping sets like Weakness Policy (which relies on taking a hit that it can hardly take in order to "sweep" which is easier said than done because you need to use Autotomize for your speed and priority is still everywhere, so good luck sweeping when you're so low on HP) and Stance Dance (went out of fashion really fast because it doesn't KO much with Sneak even at +2, meaning that it will be picked off sooner or later). Now the problem with all these other sets is that when you aren't facing the usual check/counter you want to beat with it, it's a subpar set, making them none more effective than lure sets on other mons. Also, mispredicting the Aegislash set isn't the end of the world, because unlike when you think that, let's say, your opponent's Azumarill is CB but it turns out to be BD, your team isn't going to be immediately swept or heavily weakened. One mon might go down to it, but that's because you mispredicted, so it's only natural that you're going to lose a mon in that case. I think its versatility is slightly overstated.

Other, minor arguments that I have spotted and would like to debunk:

Using Aegislash is luck-based. Whoever said this needs to check himself, there is a fine line between predicting whether your opponent does A or does B and predicting whether or not A will happen to your opponent. When you say something is luck-based, it means that you rely on an external factor that neither player has any say in (hax): This is simply not the case with Aegislash so idk wtf was going on there.

Aegislash makes certain mons less viable. The same goes for Talonflame, the same goes for Chansey, the same goes for a whole lot of mons. More viable mons in the meta is not a better meta by definition and one should never use this as a ground for banning something as long as it doesn't become ridiculous.

that's it for now, no tl;dr for you learn to be patient and sit thru a post you lazy piece of shit

it doesn't care about thunder wave.
I agreed with most of your post, excluding this bit. Aegislash cares about Thunder Wave, somewhat. While, yes, when it is paralyzed, almost nothing outslows it, Aegi goes into blade form BEFORE it uses an attack, flinches, or fails to move from paralysis. At this point, Aegi needs to either King's Shield again, and waste a turn, not to mention running the risk of not moving again, or switch, leaving something else to take a hit.

I am all for BANNING Aegislash, I just felt the need to address this, because the best way to debate is to understand both sides, and be able to argue for both sides.

Alrighty, I'm now more awake and I can finally think clearly! I've been thinking about whether or not Aegis should get the boot and while I'm somewhat undecided, I'm leaning more toward no ban. Here's why...

First of all, Aegislash has a great typing, but it brings some weaknesses to the table, and common ones at that. It's weak to Dark-, Ground, Fire-, and Ghost-types. I'm well aware that Aegislash is able to tank/stomach a hit or two; however, if it's hit by a super-effective move, it's going to be pretty dented up. It has no form of reliable recovery, not including Rest. Knock Off, which Aegis can somewhat easily tank, is arguably much worse then being dented; no Pokemon likes its item removed and Aegislash is no exception. On top of its common weaknesses, Aegis is slow. While this can work to its advantage, it also works against it. It will always have to take a hit, which slowly wittles it down. Aegis makes for a great pivot, but without reliable recovery and low speed, it's bound to be worn down mildly easily. While it's immune to Toxic and really doesn't care about Paralysis, Aegis hates status regardless. No Pokemon loves status (not including Guts or Magic Guard Pokemon), as it either shortens their longevity or it slows them down, allowing a sweeper to plow through. Aegis is only vulnerable to burns (paralysis not included, despite the hax it brings), and while its most reliable move is Shadow Ball, which is unaffected by burns, its the shortening of longevity which makes it undesirable.

No, I didn't forget about King's Shield. I'm quite aware of the 50/50's it can cause, but isn't luck a slight mechanic of Pokemon. Sure, there are times where it's impossible to predict when it'll use it, but most of the time, it can be quite predictable. Not only that, but as many of you know, KS doesn't prevent status moves from affecting it. Thus, this leaves Aegis more vulnerable to status.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm still leaning on either ban or no ban. I also have reasons as to how it's ban-able. The one that most everyone knows is that Aegis created the OU meta to what it is today. Some moves are run on certain Pokemon just to dent any Aegis switch-ins. Some of its best counters are beat by other, uncommon sets (i.e. Mandibuzz is beat by SubToxic, while Mandi beats every other offensive set). However, once its set is revealed, it's either dealt with easily or it's too late by then. Not only that, but its typing alone has caused the viability and unviability of many Pokemon. However, I don't think banning it because it makes certain Pokemon viable is a good reason to ban.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this. I may or may not try to get reqs to vote. Unless anyone gives me some valid reasons, I'm saying no-ban for the sword.

Going off of what AM145 said, I don't understand the argument around "x has Earthquake/Fire Blast to deal with Aegi". Many things have had to run Earthquake/Fire Blast to deal with Steel types in general for the four generations before Aegi existed. Almost anything that runs STAB Dragon/Fairy/Psychic/Bug/Flying/Rock wants to run coverage to hit Steel types. EdgeQuake is a thing for a reason, near perfect coverage. Isn't that the whole point behind coverage moves, to hit things you can't normally hit? Mega Heracross runs Earthquake only to hit Aegi, but what else is it going to run? Bullet Seed to hit Rotom-W? DD Tyranitar runs Earthquake for the coveted (and almost unresisted) EdgeQuake combo. The only other thing it can run for a third move is the weaker Ice Punch (which STAB Crunch almost reaches in cases where Ice Punch is super effective). Many Dragons have to run Fire Blast to deal with Skarmory, but Skarm is not thought of as overcentralizing.

My pre-ladder thoughts are that Aegislash doesn't deserve to be banned. It has more than enough flaws to keep it in check - it's slow which always holds back Pokemon like this, is not so versatile to the point where you can never scout its set safely, suffers from weakness to common types, and its "effective 720" BST that keeps being brought up is balanced by it being restricted to 3 moves that actually do anything. The whole 50/50 thing can be frustrating and I get that, but it's not like the game is new to the concept of 50/50s anyway, right now we have things like Bisharp, Mawile and Landorus that can influence games similarly. For issues regarding 50/50s, fingers should really be pointed towards those kinds of Pokemon that shape the fast offensive nature of the tier, not Aegislash.

If it comes down to the way it shapes the metagame, I would still disagree with a ban. Being a metagame defining Pokemon isn't necessarily a bad thing. Deoxys shaped the metagame by turning an entire playstyle into easy mode garbage, whereas Aegislash's influence is simply being a fantastic Pokemon that also increases/decreases the viability of certain Pokemon/types, but again this is really nothing new. Some of these reasons like "Pinsir and Heracross have to run EQ" are pretty silly because that's just how metagames develop, you adapt movesets for top tier mons. Why do those Pokemon need to be better than they already are or have to be able to run more varied movesets when they are already very much viable? It's not like Aegislash only brings negativity to the meta either. In a tier with so many offensive powerhouses, its ability as such a reliable offensive tank is a godsend to glue teams together. If the Pokemon it helps check and pivot from are seen as broken then it would make more sense to me to suspect them first. But right now I'll treat suspects as they are in the current meta.

That said I'll obviously go into the ladder with an open mind, it'll be interesting for sure. I do enjoy it when suspect ladders remove the suspect

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pre ladder thoughts:

Aegislash isn't truly broken. It's an incredible 'mon, to be sure, but it's not broken. Broken, to me, means unbeatable or unstoppable (or close to it, the degree to which is debatable). Mega Khan, Mega Luke, and to a lesser extent Deo-D could not be reliably stopped/beaten, and thus were (in Deo-D's case, closer to being) broken. Aegislash has a pretty large number of viable checks, such as SDef Hippo, SDef Gliscor, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, etc. etc.

Aegislash probably has the easiest time getting around these checks of any top-tier threat, since it has the movepool and stats to deviate from its normal line of play and use SubToxic, Hasty + LO, or SD, all of which are completely legitimate and viable in their own right.

Predicting wrong against Aegislash isn't as bad as predicting wrong against a sweeper, since the most you lose is a single Pokemon, instead of being swept. (Barring SD, of course.)

Aegislash needs the least support of any Pokemon in the OU tier. The only support he needs is basic offensive and defensive support. Char X/Y and Thundurus need Rapid Spin/Defog support, Landorus and Keldeo need Pursuit support, etc. Even Mawile, which doesn't need any special form of support, needs the basic support on a great level due to its issues which Aegislash lacks (reliance on Sucker Punch, bad SDef).

Aegislash may not be broken, but it's close. The deciding factor on ban or no ban, to me, is the degree to which it's overcentralizing. Aegislash, more than any other 'mon (except maybe Talonflame), decides the extent to which another Pokemon is viable just by his presence. Starmie is the biggest victim here; it's usually an inferior Greninja, but Rapid Spin gives it a niche. However, it can't even fulfill it's niche because of Aegislash. Hawlucha, M-Gard, etc. are also affected similarly, though of course they're also hindered significantly by Talonflame. The question is, then, does Aegislash's presence affect the metagame excessively? The suspect ladder should give an indication.

I don't really see the problem with this. You know what else does that? Chansey, and no one is really complaining.
Chansey doesn't have any offensive presence to speak of, unlike Aegislash, who can dent nearly everything which might want to switch into it, and lure everything else.

Aegislash has nothing to do against status inducers. The only thing it walls off is Toxic. All other moves bypass KS. That leaves a severe problem, as burn kills normal Aegislash even if he switch happens. Aegislash also is weak to the most common of Pokemon. Excadrill, Mega Zards, Ghosts in general, and Darks in general. It also is wrecked by Clefable. There's that too
Aegislash is immune to Toxic, doesn't really care about Paralysis, and Burn doesn't affect his main STAB. Also, Clefable has to have Flamethrower to "wreck" Aegi, and if Aegi has Iron Head it loses. (Clefable switches in on Shadow Ball, does about 67~79% with Flamethrower if Aegi decides not to KS, and dies to Iron Head + Shadow Sneak. If Clef switches in on Iron Head or Aegi uses KS, Clef is even worse off.)

Overall, I'm totally undecided on Aegislash. I'm not really leaning one way or the other.

Wow, so many posts were made since I was here last time...

It still seems that everybody is surprised by the "big" amount of sets Aegislash has and how unpredictable and unhealthy Kings Shield is.

Even if this might be true in theory it doesn't work in practice. The ONLY real change which you sometimes see is Iron Head or Flash Cannon instead of Secred Sword. Head Smash? What do you want to hit with that? Mandibuzz? Great, because it can just Roost off the damage while you are hurting yourself smashing your head against a wall (pun intended).
Aegislash is STILL a very predictable Pokemon and you don't need much skill to guess its set.

Many mentioned the SubToxic-Set which completely destroys its common counters and checks and that's why it is unpredictable. Sadly that's still not true. Mandibuzz can't do anything against SubToxic? It can TAUNT which COMPLETELY makes this set useless. So what happens if he Toxic you on the Switch-in? Right, you INSTANTLY know his set and can play against it.
SubToxic is easier to play around than its standard set. You don't even need a specific counter for it. Many people seems to forget that it lacks a reliable Recovery-Move for a Sub-User, leftover is everything he has. I mentioned it once, Gliscor can run a SubToxic set too and does it better because it has a great recovery (even access to Roost) and does not care about Knock Off when it is already poisened. If you're getting 6-0 owned because of a surprised SubToxic set then something is wrong with your team, not with Aegislash.

It was explained many times already but it seems that we need another discussion about Kings Shield...
Yes, it creates a coinflip for contact-move users. But it isn't a really good coinflip for both players. Let me make a comparison:
Genesect. Your opponent has switched his Genesect against your Pokemon which is threatens out of Genesect (let's say Landorus-T). He could use Ice Beam and kill your Landorus but you could stay in predicting the U-Turn.
Let us assume you guess right. You stayed in and he uses U-Turn. Now he brings in a Pokemon which can take that attack and threatens you out AGAIN.
Now you guessed right again. You switched out and he uses Ice Beam. One of your Pokemon is now damaged and Genesect can be switched out safely.

Coinflips with Aegislash:
Mega-Gyarados against Aegislash in blade-form. Of course we will get the better end of the coinflip again.
You used Earthquake while he was trying to kill you with Secred Sword. Aegislash dead. Enough said.
You dragondanced while he kingshielded in the predicted Earthquake. Aegislash dead, probably the rest of the team too.

The difference is that this coinflip puts the Aegislash-User at a very bad spot when he predicted wrong while Genesect is ALWAYS SAFE no matter if the user predicted right or wrong. That is the main point what makes this coinflip not only a downside for you but also for your opponent. It is like MANY OTHER PREDICTIONS a risky situation.
One more example:
Mega-Manectric against a normal Gyrados which already danced once. You can kill it with Voltswitch but what if he brings in his Garchomp? Does your opponent want to risk loosing his Gyarados and danced once more to outspeed Manectric and win the game or will he play safe?

Coinflips are PART OF COMPETITIVE POKEMON. Making an educated guess and outsmart your opponent through coinflips will always be a part of it. Kings Shield is NOT DIFFERENT from any other high-risk-high-reward coinflip. A good prediction can let you win the game. Nothing has changed.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Aegislash: DO NOT BAN

Yes, Aegislash is centralizing, but in a way that is unlike that of the Deoxys brothers who were recently banned; it is more centralizing as a check to fighting types and the Lati twins than as a threat; it doesn't promote/enforce any specific play style upon the metagame (it can be used on defensive, balanced as well as offensive teams) and therefore, doesn't make team building overly restrictive. Due to it's unique typing, stats and ability, it can (when healthy) even serve as a temporary check to pokemon like Thundurus (which, in my opinion, is much closer to being broken than it).
To those who say that Aegislash is the only reason that Mandibuzz became OU and use that as an example of how centralizing it is, Defog, not Aegislash, is the reason that Mandibuzz became OU. It is one of the most reliable Defoggers around and Foul Play threatens any Defiant pokemon/set up sweepers. Then, there are the obvious flaws that it suffers from: it lacks a reliable recovery move, it's ability is a double edged sword that can be crippling more often than not, it's weak to common attacking types in Fire, Ground, Dark and Ghost, the Swords Dance/Weakness Policy sets can only sweep when specific conditions are satisfied and/or when specific pokemon are KO'ed or weakened and it suffers from 3 move slot syndrome; Kings Shield is a must on any set and sets lacking steel moves can be set up on/stopped by Fairies, sets lacking Sacred Sword are helpless against Tyranitar, Bisharp, Chansey, etc. It's something that you prepare to break down rather than defend against while team building due to it's ability to be a great defensive pivot that can also do a lot of damage. I don't consider it to be broken.

Excuse me, but why diversity is used as an argument for aegislash banning? Who gives a fuck if mega gardevoir, mega medicham and so on become more usable? Actually, that means more pokemon to stop when teambuilding, which only brings the matchup problems, lel, gen 5 wasn't centralized, the "weather wars" had an enormous bunch of usable pokemons, and a bunch of "playstyle" does sunstall brings you any bell? hailstall, rainstall, rain offense, sand offense, sunvolturn? Normal volturn? Let's not forget about weatherless who was still used. They were too many playstyle to stop and you simply couldn't do it, that's how we ended up with the "shitty" gen 5 and the matchup problem.
So your argument is that too much diversity in a tier is a BAD THING? Really?

Many mentioned the SubToxic-Set which completely destroys its common counters and checks and that's why it is unpredictable. Sadly that's still not true. Mandibuzz can't do anything against SubToxic? It can TAUNT which COMPLETELY makes this set useless. So what happens if he Toxic you on the Switch-in? Right, you INSTANTLY know his set and can play against it.
SubToxic is easier to play around than its standard set. You don't even need a specific counter for it. Many people seems to forget that it lacks a reliable Recovery-Move for a Sub-User, leftover is everything he has. I mentioned it once, Gliscor can run a SubToxic set too and does it better because it has a great recovery (even access to Roost) and does not care about Knock Off when it is already poisened. If you're getting 6-0 owned because of a surprised SubToxic set then something is wrong with your team, not with Aegislash.
I knew I was missing out on something when talking about the SubToxic set. This would apply to almost any Aegislash set as well; there are ways to play around it.

EDIT:

Coinflips are PART OF COMPETITIVE POKEMON. Making an educated guess and outsmart your opponent through coinflips will always be a part of it. Kings Shield is NOT DIFFERENT from any other high-risk-high-reward coinflip. A good prediction can let you win the game. Nothing has changed.
This is also true, folks! Pokemon is partially luck based, we simply refuse to believe so. Don't get me wrong here, I hate things like Swagger, which makes Pokemon too luck based, but this is a fact. If you don't believe me, here's an example of your everyday coinflip: You have a HP Fight Latios against your opponent's Lando-I. He/she also has a Bisharp. Your opponent probably doesn't want you to nuke the Lando, so you predict him to go to Bisharp. You predict wrong and you're OHKO'd by Knock Off.

EDIT 2: This has nothing to do with anything, but since I'm relatively new to the forums, I don't know how to add someone's name to a quote (i.e. This person said said "blah blah blah"). Plz tell meh how to do so. :toast:

Last edited:
At the beginning, the pro-ban arguments were better but after seeing some really good cons, I believe that playing the ou suspect ladder is more than enough to have decide if Aegislash is worth banning and making a too early judgement was indeed a mistake of my, just by looking how Gen 5 was.
On some mons having EQ sounded pretty stupid for some people including myself, good example would be Dragonite. But I have come to the conclusion that most of the time, at the metas current state, EQ is actually a far better option over Fire Punch since you are already hitting anything relevant for a decent amount of damage with Espeed and Outrage/Dragon Claw, besides Skarmory.
Mega-Pinsir can break through a lot of Steel Types with +2 Return/Double Edge, why waste the slot for CC or Superpower?

And actually I am suprised that Mega-Herra is affected by Aegislash overcentralising the meta, when Herra always has EQ or Knock Off. I would rather blame the Bird Spam for the lack of Mega-Herracross in the better

banning aegislash, the best metagame centralizer would be an awful idea tbh, seriously, noobish threaths as are terrakion(!)/megagarde/megacham/diggersby/others would sweep entire teams easily without him and the metagame would become like bw, i'll vote "NO BAN" because i want this game to be as competitive as possible
Do you know what overcenteralizing is? If certain pokemon are not run because of 1 pokemon alone then that pokemon is overcenteralizing. Also, what you're saying is not true. Those pokemon wouldn't sweep entire teams without aegi.

The last time I checked DD Ttar translates more towards mega ttar, and EQ is definitely a viable option to get past things like Heatran much more efficiently.
Why the hell would you run eq for heatran, a pokemon that causes ttar no trouble at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
It also hits Aegis without triggering KS's negative effect. As for Heatran, it can burn Ttar w/ either WoW or Lava Plume, although that's about all it can do to Ttar besides Roar. If Ttar had EQ than Heatran wouldn't be a problem at all, and even then, it can still do a considerable amount of damage to Heatran.

"SansNickel, post: 5588067, member: 192172"So what if Aegislash dies? Its killer is at -2 Atk so you can freely bring in your setup sweeper. Even if Aegislash is dead the -2 attack is huge. Also saying 100% is overdoing it, it can take hits even at 50% HP.
How did my "it needs full health or near it to function well with KS because without reliable recovery and the existence of very hard hitting pokemons even neutrally it can be killed through it's shield" turn into "it's killer is at -2 atk"???
It also resists 9 types and is immune to 3. Aegislash switches into plenty of things.
And plenty of things that it can't switch into and in certain cases, it is considered dead waste after the opponent boosts or manages to mega evolve.

so it goes both ways really.
Thank you, moving along:

Sending in hippowdon or mandibuzz or zapdos on subtoxic means your destruction.
Sending in bisharp or tyranitar on sacred sword means your destruction.
You are still killing it with the same mons and the same moves after scouting it's set.

LOL. Shadow ball spam is far from difficult to use.
Switching in correctly, preventing others from boosting, decisions about KS and what to tank so it still remains effective and all the other things mentioned require skill to use. As for Shadow Ball spam you can look at my calcs for Mandibuzz (6HKO) and Mega Venu (3HKO for Physically defensive sets) to see it isn't impossible to handle hit.
And no, it does not require a team to cover its weaknesses.
Yes it does, how else is it gonna get past The Charizards, Megas such as Pinsir, Gyarados, Bisharp, Excadrill, etc. if there aren't any teammates who can force them out, revenge kill them, status them or/and prevent them from setting up so Aegislash can still play?

Last edited:
At the beginning, the pro-ban arguments were better but after seeing some really good cons, I believe that playing the ou suspect ladder is more than enough to have decide if Aegislash is worth banning and making a too early judgement was indeed a mistake of my, just by looking how Gen 5 was.
On some mons having EQ sounded pretty stupid for some people including myself, good example would be Dragonite. But I have come to the conclusion that most of the time, at the metas current state, EQ is actually a far better option over Fire Punch since you are already hitting anything relevant for a decent amount of damage with Espeed and Outrage/Dragon Claw, besides Skarmory.
Mega-Pinsir can break through a lot of Steel Types with +2 Return/Double Edge, why waste the slot for CC or Superpower?

And actually I am suprised that Mega-Herra is affected by Aegislash overcentralising the meta, when Herra always has EQ or Knock Off. I would rather blame the Bird Spam for the lack of Mega-Herracross in the better
fire punch can also hit ferrothorn.
New Mega Pinsir will always run CC to hit Rotom-W and skarm.
Also Aegis forces other pokemon like Terrakion and Lucario to also run EQ when otherwise they never would

They arent forced to, they have the option to do that or to leave Aegi to other mons on their team. Picking your poison is an everyday decision you have to make while team building, its not like only Aegi causes that. Even without him Lucario still has to decide between Iron Tail and Ice Punch and Terra has more moveslots than he acutally needs for most sets as SE + CC already deals with almost everything, using one of the remaining slots to deal with a counter is not a big deal and if Aegi wasnt around that slot would be used to deal with something else instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)