np: XY OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Ghost of Perdition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is everybody forgetting about Amoonguss when talking about Aegi counters? Aside from the gimmicky Head Smash there is nothing Aegi can do about him so there is a pretty decent counter for the standard sets. Also its not like Sub Toxic makes Hippo and Mandibuzz useless as checks. Mandi often runs taunt so Aegi can only get a toxic off on a predicted switch, something the opponent can take advantage of with say Heatran, both Mandi and Hippo still force Aegi out and can heal off the Toxic damage. With cleric support its even easier. And the most important thing thats always ignored here, while perfect all around counters are rare, there are like a million decent checks for Aegi. Almost every special attacker and everything with Earthquake that can take a Shadow Ball beats Aegi 1on1 and if your willing to play some mind games the list becomes even longer as stuff like Knock Off Scizor and many other things join the party.
And what if it does run Head Smash?

There's plenty of Pokemon that can handle an Aegislash set, but very few that can handle everything Aegislash can run. Like Deoxys-S, its biggest strength is sheer versatility, since it gets perfect coverage from two moves and both hit like a truck.

Lets Re-introduce Lugia back into OU then because it can help hold back other things.

Just Because a pokemon prevents other pokemon from getting out of hands doesn't mean it shouldn't be banned
That's not what I meant at all. People were claiming that a meta without Aegislash would be more balanced and more diverse. That's frankly not true, banning Aegislash just leads to a few specific mons to lose viability because they no longer have a niche of checking a top threat, and a few specific mons gain viability because they are no longer checked by a top threat. The meta won't be more balanced by any means, it'll just shift, and not in a good way. That's not a reason to keep it if it's broken, but if it's not broken, balancing the meta isn't a reason to get rid of it either.

And what if it does run Head Smash?

There's plenty of Pokemon that can handle an Aegislash set, but very few that can handle everything Aegislash can run. Like Deoxys-S, its biggest strength is sheer versatility, since it gets perfect coverage from two moves and both hit like a truck.
Well then you lost your counter to a lure as Head Smash on Aegi is exactly that, a lure, and given that Aegi kills itself by using it and that its not very useful overall, probably not even a good one. Fact remains that Amoonguss handles all of Aegis standard sets effortlessly.

Lets Re-introduce Lugia back into OU then because it can help hold back other things.

Just Because a pokemon prevents other pokemon from getting out of hands doesn't mean it shouldn't be banned
"Making the meta better" is an argument that has been used by the pro-ban side, and "keeping other pokemon in check" is a counter-argument for that. You can't argue on the basis that the meta will be better w/o Aegislash if 5 pokemon have to be banned with it to prevent it from breaking.

It's the burden of proof thing Karyu_gen is talking about. You are the one who have to present arguments. The anti-ban side only has to kill those arguments.

Well then you lost your counter to a lure as Head Smash on Aegi is exactly that, a lure, and given that Aegi kills itself by using it and that its not very useful overall, probably not even a good one. Fact remains that Amoonguss handles all of Aegis standard sets effortlessly.
0- Atk Amoonguss Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 50-60 (15.4 - 18.5%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery (assuming Physically Defense, if using Specially Defensive then SD sets walk over it)

It doesn't even break SubToxic's Substitute, and:

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Amoonguss: 193-228 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

It can setup the Substitute while you attempt to Spore / Foul Play it and then proceed to kill it w/ Shadow Ball (or leave it with massive amounts of health lost). ANd for god's sake can people stop saying Head Smash is a shitty gimmick? I've used Swords Dance Aegislash countless times and I can tell you that Head Smash is not a shitty gimmick at all. It's a shitty gimmick when used incorrectly, example being on just any set. It really excels on SD sets to lure in its usual checks (think Mandibuzz, Landorus-T) and utterly smash them. Sure, it cause recoil, but Swords Dance Aegislash comes in and just unleashes an onslaught, so it really doesn't even matter half of the time. So, you can't say that Amoonguss 'completely handles', because SubToxic sets can beat it, along with Swords Dance variants. Not to mention that all it can do is Spore it, if lacking Foul Play. It eventually gets worn down...

I know it's been mentioned a couple times, but seriously, can we make banning King's Shield an option? It takes away the 50/50, and Aegislash can't return to Shield form without it - meaning it only gets 1 turn of 720 BST when it's switched out. It also slightly nerfs the SubToxic set. I know nobody's gonna listen to Seevea the Nobody, though, so I'd like a few of the badged users/moderators to say what they think on this. Subject 18, Halcyon., Jukain, what do you guys think of this proposal (and any others that see this post)?
It's been mentioned enough that I have no doubt the council is considering it and will probably make an official statement eventually. I'm personally against it for two reasons: it would essentially be nerfing a pokemon because we don't feel like banning it, and I don't find King's Shield to be a problem worthy of a ban.

Edit: Oh, and it'd mean we'd need a new supsect test, so there's that.

And for the record, badges and moderator labels only mean so much, They're still just people. There's a dozen ways to be involved in smogon, and only some get recognition.

Last edited:
That's not what I meant at all. People were claiming that a meta without Aegislash would be more balanced and more diverse. That's frankly not true, banning Aegislash just leads to a few specific mons to lose viability because they no longer have a niche of checking a top threat, and a few specific mons gain viability because they are no longer checked by a top threat. The meta won't be more balanced by any means, it'll just shift, and not in a good way. That's not a reason to keep it if it's broken, but if it's not broken, balancing the meta isn't a reason to get rid of it either.
I don't know about more balanced, but so many more pokemon become better without aegis, not just a few: Basically any psychic type or fighting type just becomes better. Honestly the shift I foresee is more Fighting, psychics, and birdspam. Will that be an undesirable meta with multiple broken things? Honestly I'm not sure. Best I can say is play the suspect ladder for yourself and see.

I don't know about more balanced, but so many more pokemon become better without aegis, not just a few: Basically any psychic type or fighting type just becomes better.
Talonflame (rr heck, Bisharp and Mega Gyarados for Psychics). But hey I'm guessing that after people realize that a Aegislash will do nil for the viability of these pokemons, the Smogon Berd will be next in line.

0- Atk Amoonguss Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 50-60 (15.4 - 18.5%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery (assuming Physically Defense, if using Specially Defensive then SD sets walk over it)

It doesn't even break SubToxic's Substitute, and:

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Amoonguss: 193-228 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Wrong. Amoonguss is SLOWER than Aegis, so its Foul Play hits it in Blade Forme. Also I'm pretty sure a lot of Amoongusses (Amoongi?) run a lot of SpDef EVs, possibly with a +SpDef nature. If you add a bit of SpDef, the 2HKO goes away, meaning Amoonguss wins 1v1 easily w/Foul Play

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Talonflame (rr heck, Bisharp and Mega Gyarados for Psychics). But hey I'm guessing that after people realize that a Aegislash will do nil for the viability of these pokemons, the Smogon Berd will be next in line.
Tflame has much more trouble switching in to these 'mons than Aegi. Cham/Garde/Lati@s will get more kills than before (or not; it's not like there aren't other checks to these 'mons), Tflame can only RK them.

I don't know about more balanced, but so many more pokemon become better without aegis, not just a few: Basically any psychic type or fighting type just becomes better. Honestly the shift I foresee is more Fighting, psychics, and birdspam. Will that be an undesirable meta with multiple broken things? Honestly I'm not sure. Best I can say is play the suspect ladder for yourself and see.
The problem is not so much the types, it's the megas. Gardevoir and Medicham are only sitting at B+ rank because Aegislash exists, is almost a counter to the former and a counter to the later. Mega Pinsir would love to use Close Combar or Stone Edge and get rid of those pesky birds, but can't because Aegislash walls it, so it needs to run EQ. Mega Heracross would like to use another 5-hit move, but also has to EQ.

Wrong. Amoonguss is SLOWER than Aegis, so its Foul Play hits it in Blade Forme. Also I'm pretty sure a lot of Amoongusses (Amoongi?) run a lot of SpDef EVs, possibly with a +SpDef nature. If you add a bit of SpDef, the 2HKO goes away, meaning Amoonguss wins 1v1 easily w/Foul Play
-.- Since it is slower you set a Substitute, Amoonguss then fails to break it. Then, this repeats and with proper prediction Amoonguss cannot even win. Amoonguss is one of the better matchups, but it's not a perfect counter.

Viability means a lot of things, not just ability to handle switch ins, it also means being able to switch in yourself and carrying out your role in a way that is equal or better then what is available without being, as you said, RK'd at the first opportunity, especially for these offensive mons.

Bird Spam, Priority will always be a hindering factor to these mons that the pro ban party thinks will explode in usage once Aegislash is banned. Steel also has went from being a required defensive feature to a required offensive one lest Fairys such as Clefable wipe out your whole team.

Edit: "Gardevoir and Medicham are only sitting at B+ rank because Aegislash exists"

Lol no. Only because? No, in addition to Aegislash they are there because the S-Tier Mega Mons and the A ranked ones outclass them, and Talonflame manage to dent both hard.

i personally aprove a metagame with more bug/fighting/ghost/psychic megas or normals, thanks to the ban of only one pokemon. you want aegislash because he can handle azumaril without knock off or talonflame scared to use flareblitz ? there are many grass/poison, water/poison, water/metal, grass/metal that can handle azumaril, talonflame can be handled with any rocktype, why dont you try to use mega aerodactyl ? anyway, talonflame will definitely get a suspect test, ignore him for a moment and focus this thread only on aegislash, please.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
It's been mentioned enough that I have no doubt the council is considering it and will probably make an official statement eventually. I'm personally against it for two reasons: it would essentially be nerfing a pokemon because we don't feel like banning it, and I don't find King's Shield to be a problem worthy of a ban.

Edit: Oh, and it'd mean we'd need a new supsect test, so there's that.

Oh, and for the record, badges and moderator labels only mean so much, They're still just people. There's a dozen ways to be involved in smogon, and only some get recognition.
We wouldn't need a new suspect test, just an expansion on the current one. And there's reasons people want it nerfed instead of banned, but you can already see that in previous posts. Also King's Shield is only on Aegislash, barring Smeargle, so realistically, if you ban Aegislash, you're also banning King's Shield anyway. And the reason I asked for badged users and such is because there's plenty of people who just scan these pages just looking for a name with a lot of bling and siding with them. Not to mention the council isn't going to listen to you or I anyway, when there's already 400+ posts on this thread.

I've been on the suspect ladder running mega Cham team I've done fairly well. Gengar and starmie have shot up in usage a ton with no aegis and Cham does pretty well with but still has some stops with no aegi. My fear is mega pinsir as now it can run cc and be a total jerk to standard stall. Next with no aegi mega Hera can run sd and get mileage with three attacks making it extremely difficult for stall again. Between these too megas and mega Cham a stall team needs something like zapdos plus unaware clefable for Hera and a ghost or bulky psychic to handle mega Cham this is half of one stall team dedicated to three mons. Next stall has to handle the zards mawile garde Keldeo, terrakion and Lando in the last three slots and that is near impossible. Banning a single in aegi contributes to the downfall of a single playstyle which is already having issues with powerful wallbreakers as removing aegi means stall will be crippled severely and there will be a more offensive metagame as there will always be something stall can't handle and balance is just nowhere after that as aegi is a huge part of balance as he fills multiple roles in one slot which is something balance needs so if you really wanna see a meta where offense > every other playstyle we can ban aegi and continue on with our days.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I think most of the ban arguments are kind of a stretch. The burden of proof lies on the pro-ban party, and so far I just haven't seen anything to make me confident it's worth a ban.

50/50 - Pokemon is full of risk/reward scenarios, this just forcing both players to get better at it. It's absolutely nothing like swagplay, which was literally a coin flip, so I don't see the problem.

Centralizing - Heatran is much more at fault than aegislash imo for the prevalence of EQ. Ghost and dark are hugely viable types regardless of Aegislash's omnipresense, and fire is usually used as coverage for things like ferrothorn, not Aegislash. Do you need a check, or maybe even two? Sure, but I have rehearsed plans and back up plans for every pokemon on the ranking board, and you'd be lying to me if you claimed you didn't too.

Versatility - If Aegislash is banned, it better be for this reason. Right now however the alternate sets are just especially effective lures that could potentially turn into a problem, but it's too soon after deoxys to know. I'm going to wait til the suspect test gets underway to make judgements. Who knows, I might even actually put the time in to qualify this time.

Edit, sorry -Clone- , basically what you said, but I kept it in more general terms.
I'm going to ignore the misinformed personal attacks and utter disregard of what I'm trying to say in your last post due to personal bias and just respond to this post, which is your core argument. You cannot get better at a 50/50. That literally defies logic, you don't have a clue if you're telling me this. 50/50 = 50% of guessing right and 50% of guessing wrong. You cannot get better at a (basically) blind guess like this. In terms of centralization: almost every Pokemon that uses EQ for coverage besides Mega Gyarados uses it because of Aegislash. Dragonite wouldn't primarily be using EQ without Aegislash around, it would use another option (Fire Punch primarily, Superpower maybe to still hit Heatran + hit Ferrothorn). Terrakion would not use EQ. Mega Tyranitar would not need EQ, and it certainly doesn't use it for Heatran. Scarftar wouldn't run EQ. Mega Heracross wouldn't run EQ. Heatran is nowhere near responsible for the prominence of Ground coverage in this meta. Literally one thing I can think of runs EQ for Heatran and that's a lure Latios. You also can't deny that Bisharp is so much better because of Aegislash's presence. Being able to deal with the best Pokemon in the tier is one of the biggest reasons to justify its use. Heatran's ability to check one Aegislash makes it much better. Mandibuzz's largest selling point outside of Defog is beating Aegislash. Pokemon that are Dark/Fire typing that can handle Aegislash becomes much much more valuable because of its presence because it's hard to kill Aegislash otherwise outside of Grounds which are just checks besides SpD Hippowdon, and it definitely has a direct impact on their usage. Pokemon that beat Aegislash, even to a degree, are favored in OU, while Pokemon that don't are generally less favored on the whole. Re: other sets, just because they aren't as common doesn't make them lures. I consider other Aegislash sets to do different things for my team, not to lure and kill specific threats. That's a bonus.

Before I end this post I have to address the fact that you literally just called me out. I've already written paragraphs upon paragraphs of arguments in response to in some cases arguments that I have literally been questioned about as to why I try. Just because every point in a tl;dr isn't tl;dr doesn't mean I'm relying on reputation at all. I don't have some air or reputation at least in my mind; I just want this thing banned. And if you really the BP debacle was my fault then you're just insulting for nothing because that's blatantly false.

Dragonite wouldn't primarily be using EQ without Aegislash around, it would use another option (Fire Punch primarily, Superpower maybe to still hit Heatran + hit Ferrothorn).
Sir, what kind of silliness is that? EQ is used because of the decent neutral coverage it can get with Outrage, and it hits Heatran as well. Superpower not only makes it lose a boost, but it also makes it slightly less bulky. As for Megados and Terrakion, I think it's safe to say they run EQ just for Aegislash, especially since these two have ways of dealing with Heatran.

I'm not too confident in actually posting in the thread at the moment, but I'll say this. My ladder squad, Hunter's Pack, packed a Special Aegi, and the team has me at 1300s after I put it down to help keep my points from a losing streak. Caladbolg (Special Aegi), while a good performer and good to have around, was doing no clinching whatsoever, that went more to Greninja and MegaChomp, the more powerhousey or verstile and ACTUALLY unpredictble types of mon, and was never in a situation where it was a win condition. In fact, many times it was beaten by another Aegi. Sure, Aegi could bust out a Sacred Sword on a Ferro, but it was gonna take lots of recoil (Iron Barbs? 1/8 is not to be laughed at with Aegi's glassy nature in Blade) And be left out in Blade Forme as Ferro is slower, giving Ferro an opportunity to pack Aegi away with EQ. Mega Chomp would just roast Ferro in one Fire Blast and be done with it, with no risk at all. And that's just one example. What I'm basically saying is, even from my relatively small and lower level experience, Aegi will not be clinching wins, will not be a win condition, and against other common mons like Ferrothorn, needs to one shot, but usually can't, leaving it wide open. THIS IS AEGI'S DOWNFALL. Having an Aegi on the field is reason to move second, meaning this is the perfect time for slower mons to hit like a truck on Aegi while it's in Blade Forme. Aegi's presence allows for the viability of Slower Pokémon by allowing them to exploit Blade Forme and bend it's blade into a plowshare. We want to make Pokémon get used more, so keep Aegi, which reverses the usual Speed Race, and allow slower mons to flourish in beating it up. Remember, it can only hide behind King's Shield for so long. Say you're in Doubles, and you have a Taunt using Prankster Sabeleye on the field, and a Conkeldurr. Taunt Aegi the first turn so that it can't use KS next turn, spend Conkeldurr's turn on the other opponent, then next turn, watch as Aegi is forced into Blade Forme, only to be Megaton Iron Fist Fire Punched into oblivion. I only bring up this doubles scenario as I'm unsure if Conkeldurr can use Taunt itself. If it can, even better, and its possible to do it in Singles. But regardless of that, all you have to do is be slightly slower than Aegi and pack EQ to not get boned by King's Shield and force Aegi to either switch or face imminent doom. IT IS LITERALLY THAT EASY.
I'm not kidding. If you run EQ, using it forces Aegi to either switch or face death by it.

But let me talk about something that will have to go to Übers with Aegi if Aegi goes: Technician Bullet Punch Scizor. If Aegi is toxic to OU as Smogon would like to say, this thing is Toxic left for a few turns, and that's talking from experience. A great attack stat, STAB, Priority, and a boosted base power from Technician? God forbid that sucker's taking an Expert Belt to your Fairies and Rock types, as they'll go down damn fast in that case. Even in the lower ladder, stuff like that is dangerous, and it makes having a Fire move and a decent attacking stat to go with it a win condition. Except its not banned because adding a Fire Move is easy and will likely happen with no extra effort or thought anyway. So why isn't that no-ban logic going to fly with Aegi, who has no Technician priority to abuse in the first place, and whose counter process is literally JUST AS EASY AS SCIZOR'S? Shadow Sneak Priority it does indeed have, but that is for picking off weakened opponents quickly, NOT doing massive amounts of damage like Scizor's Bullet Punch. Of course, if Aegi is banned, it will show a degradation in the overall common sense in Smogon in my mind and I will gladly abandon this sinking ship for Poké Battle.

As for who might shine if Aegi is banned:
I've heard a strong case for Starmie returning. Let me stop you genwunners before you bone yourselves: Greninja is better in every way. It's stats are just a little bit higher, meaning it hits harder and faster, and Protean is something Starmie wishes for every day so that it's Ice Beam could hit like a truck as Greninja's does. With Protean, you can have STAB Surf, HP Grass, Ice Beam, and U-Turn. Starmie can only get STAB on Surf out of all of that. It has better stats, better abilities, and a speed stat high enough to let it run from threats to its safety with U Turn. Greninja is better than Starmie, period. But like I said earlier, Aegi gives us a breath of fresh air from the Speed Race that isn't called Trick Room. Banning Aegi makes slow mons only shine against Trick Room, which is not common from my experience. I know you a roomers are yelling at me, but come fight me and I'll change my mind on that.

"But my Keldeo's Scald is a 3HKO! D:"
Number one, Scald is meant to fish for burns anyway. If you're trying to Hydro power your way through Aegi, you want plenty of force so as to deal good damage on shield forme and spirit out in Blade. Try Hydro Pump. Though why you're trying to wash Aegi away is beyond me, SE is the way to go.
Number Two, you're fighting it wrong in this instance anyway. The way to fight Aegi is to lure out Blade Forme and then smash it with physical SE, which, as I said, IS NOT HARD. This goes for ANY POKÉMON. Every Pokémon has a weak point. Jolteon's is it's low defense, for example. Is Blissey broken because my Special Megachomp's Draco Meteor is a 2 or 3HKO if we ignored the SpAtk drop? Admit it, you'd laugh me out of house and home here if I said that one, because Blissey walls special like a boss, but EQ terrifies it due to low defense. So why are we complaining about a move whose base power is average only scoring a 3HKO on a Pokémon that's meant to be fought physically anyway?

"It's too unpredictable!"
Too unpredictable my arse. It has a very low amount of sets, and it immediately shows it's entire hand as soon as it uses a move not named King's Shield. Aegi has no secrets once the King's Shield is gone. You'll know whether it's special or physical or what have you right off the bat. Besides, unpredictability is what Pokémon is all about, as it has been said several times in this thread. Are we going to force every mon to go one gear one speed one moveset? Let's relegate that to Magikarp and move on.

"It can run so many moves!"
So can many other Pokémon, but even then, NO. As I said, Aegi has about 4 viable sets. 16 slots for moves. Every set has zking's shield, minus four slots, make it 12, with one move registered. All sets, to my knowledge, run either Sacred Sword or swords Dance. 8 slots. 3 moves. The rest of the slots are taken up by Shadow Sneak/Ball/Claw or Flash Cannon or Iron head. No more slots, 8 moves. 8. Of course, you may have more, but this is what I see on Aegi when I fight it.

"It can run so many items!"
And so can my Empoleon, whether they're good on it or not, from Wacan
Berry to a Mystic Water! Items are no excuse to say a Pokémon is OP. You need to plan around what the opponent has. If they have a Shuca Berry for whatever reason, prepare anyway. Remember, Shuca is single use only. Maybe this will factor into your strat to put away Aegi. But most days, it's running Spooky Plate. Taunt/Knock Off sound good? Do it then, your new Mandibuzz is waiting. Speaking of, Mandibuzz can handle Aegi VERY well if played right. It's typing allows it to wall enough to force a switch or face death by Foul play or Knock Off, and can heal off whatever Aegi tries to throw at it with Roost.

Now you can either offer a listening ear or just take one look at my W/L and see its crappiness and ignore me. Price I pay for not alting every time I want to screw with another story mode team clone for the hell of it, or try a new serious team, all of which get to 1100 and then flop. But I can say this after all is said and done: I've used Aegi lots, and while he's good, he's no more broken than the first go to strat I had, Sitrus BellyJet, and many of the people I go to for comp advice will echo me in saying that Aegi deserves no ban. I'd post a link to the current discussion I'm in, but I don't know if that's allowed or not, as it isn't on Smogon. As for the people in said discussion, I know I've put a lot of what you said into this. Not taking credit, just a gratuitous manner of agreeing from personal experience, and saying a lot of what needs to be said and adding in the voices of a whole new realm of the ladder.

I'll end this way. If you don't believe me, my Showdown name is ArtemisTheHunter. You Smogon top dogs are welcome to fight me. No really, I'd enjoy it. Just don't let any spectators in, they annoy the hell out of me. Have fun beating the crap out of Caladbolg, the Special Aegi who isn't broken.

I know it's been mentioned a couple times, but seriously, can we make banning King's Shield an option? It takes away the 50/50, and Aegislash can't return to Shield form without it - meaning it only gets 1 turn of 720 BST when it's switched out. It also slightly nerfs the SubToxic set. I know nobody's gonna listen to Seevea the Nobody, though, so I'd like a few of the badged users/moderators to say what they think on this. Subject 18, Halcyon., Jukain, what do you guys think of this proposal (and any others that see this post)?
I gotchu, brah (even though I don't have a single badge)!

I've been thinking about that idea for a while, and I honestly can't decide if I like the idea or not. On one hand, it's like you're saying "let's get rid of dark void and nasty plot on darkrai, so that it'll be OU." On the other hand, it makes for some interesting...plays. Makes for a good pivot when sent out, nukes something, then switches. Now that I think about it, removing KS sounds like making a slow-ass Genesect, with a bit more power to spare and more bulk (before attacking). I'm still too indecisive about this idea, so...yeah. :/

It has a very low amount of sets, and it immediately shows it's entire hand as soon as it uses a move not named King's Shield.
Not all of its sets run KS (ones with LO) and almost all of its sets (bar SD Aegis) run Shadow Ball. Not only that, but it runs lots of moves on many of its sets. It runs Sacred Sword on these sets: Tank, SD, and the All Out Attacking set. As aforementioned, it runs Shadow Ball on every set except the SD set. I could go on, but my point is, it's not that easy to predict the set Aegis is running. Disclaimer: I'm going for no-ban on teh sword.

Not all of its sets run KS (ones with LO) and almost all of its sets (bar SD Aegis) run Shadow Ball. Not only that, but it runs lots of moves on many of its sets. It runs Sacred Sword on these sets: Tank, SD, and the All Out Attacking set. As aforementioned, it runs Shadow Ball on every set except the SD set. I could go on, but my point is, it's not that easy to predict the set Aegis is running. Disclaimer: I'm going for no-ban on teh sword.

Oops I broke the quote tags. Sorry.

Anyway, what you're saying right here is exactly what makes Aegi so predictable: You can narrow down it's hand very well once it steps off King's Shield, and the LO set is exposed as soon as it attacks. While saying it reveals it's entire hand may have been a bit hyperbolic, it certainly reveals A LOT of it. Though if I could be arsed to go for reqs, I'd be right with you in saying no ban.

I've been playing the new latter, and I've been enjoying it plenty (might as well try to get reqs while having this much fun). People have been complaining that there will be Pokemon that are overpowered due to Aegislash being gone. While true at first with one of the back bones of the meta gone, things are going to look borked. I have a feeling that this will only last temporarily, as new checks/counters will arise (that are viable) for those so called overpowered Pokemon. If things get really out of hand with one Pokemon, then it calls for another suspect.

I've been playing the new latter, and I've been enjoying it plenty (might as well try to get reqs while having this much fun). People have been complaining that there will be Pokemon that are overpowered due to Aegislash being gone. While true at first with one of the back bones of the meta gone, things are going to look borked. I have a feeling that this will only last temporarily, as new checks/counters will arise (that are viable) for those so called overpowered Pokemon. If things get really out of hand with one Pokemon, then it calls for another suspect.
Why ban three or four or how many others when aegis keeps them in check we do not have to ban happy. My biggest fear of aegi is precedence it sets for the banning of other pokes due to if currently power capping the meta. Right now the meta has a ton of viable playstyles and options balance stall offense are all viable options right now and I fear banning aegi will tip this out of balance.

Right now the meta has a ton of viable playstyles and options balance stall offense are all viable options right now and I fear banning aegi will tip this out of balance.
...How? Even if Aegi gets banned, most playstyles will still be viable, stalling, Dual Screen teams, All-out Offense, et cetera. Banning one pokemon would not have that kind of effect on the meta game, unless that one pokemon was the only thing that made the strategy viable, IE BP being only allowed on one pokemon, making it so Baton Pass strategies became nonexistent (which is a good thing as BP teams were incredibly powerful).

Just because Aegislash is banned doesn't mean that suddenly every team will be Hyper Offense. Stallers like Chansey, Skarmory, and Chesnaught still will all be just as powerful.

Last edited:
...How? Even with Aegi unbanned, most playstyles are viable, stalling, Dual Screen teams, All-out Offense, et cetera. Banning one pokemon would not have that kind of effect on the meta game, unless that one pokemon was the only thing that made the strategy viable, IE BP being only allowed on one pokemon, making it so Baton Pass strategies became nonexistent (which is a good thing as BP teams were incredibly powerful).
Look at my previous posts it talks about how pokemon can afford different coverage moves like mega pinsir or afford a boosting move like mega Hera this on top of the rise of powerful stall breakers like mega garde and mega medi means stall will non existant each mega now has a smaller list of counters as they can afford greater diversity in their best sets they can run. This means stall is now forced to carry specific mon to deal all of the new buffed mega evos and limits stall a lot in general as I said see my previous posts to further delve into the issues banning aegi has on the metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)