Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except Phoebe's signature has been confirmed to be Dusknoir. So that argument doesn't hold up.
However, Gardevoir I feel still fits more than Gallade.
There's a difference between using an alternate branch evolution, and an E4 member evolving what used to be a final stage pokemon, but your point is true. Wally's character profile seems to have been designed around Gardevoir's, at any rate, so I definitely agree that Gardevoir is better for Wally than Gallade. He needs a nurturer, not a warrior. The rest of his team (Roselia, Altaria, Delcatty) tends to fit this mold as well.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
so how does this support your case? Gen 6 rival having a mega that isn't their signature is because their signature didn't come with a mega evolution. Wally's signature pokemon, Gardevoir, does have one.
A Mega that capitalizes on the ballroom dancer aspect than the guardian angel one. For all we know, Wally could get a different Mega.

(and I think we're discussing "m-muh patterns" too much)

Reactions: PME
Agatha has Gengar as her main... so does that mean Morty can't? Nah he coppied Agatha's main. Gardevoir and Mega Gardevoir the same Pokemon. They both have national dex number 282. Before you fight Diantha and after you beat her, her Gardevoir looks just like Wally's. Diantha already copied Wally's main (not the other way around.) There's really no stong reason to assume Wally's Gardevoir will be Mega other than the fact he's a big plot character, but just because one other trainer copied his main and Mega evolved it doesn't mean he can't Mega evolve it either....

Last edited:
Reactions: PME

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think by now everyone should realize that just because there are patterns present between games, Gamefreak has absolutely zero obligation to keep up those patterns, and that they can, and will, do something that breaks a pattern just because they can.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed that they made Magneton Wattson's signature again; I thought Manectric fit him fine, but perhaps it's hinting to some other, new, Mega-capable NPC using Manectric?
I think you're reading too much into it. Magneton was Wattson's main pokémon in RS (a major flaw in my opinion: every Hoenn gym leader has a Hoenn pokémon as their signature you'd expect, except for Wattson; they fixed Wattson in Emerald and gave Juan... Kingdra, as if Hoenn didn't have any other water type to choose from). And since they're for the most part following RS and not E it's only natural that Magneton is Wattson's signature in ORAS.

Mega Gallade ties in well with the Mega Dusknoir theory (whether Wally will have it is another story). Gardevoir and Banette had counterparts of sort that got evolutions in Gen IV. Just like Mawile's counterpart Sableye didn't get a ME until ORAS, the same could be true for the other two. The fact Dusknoir got some attention in Coro Coro (not only it was shown as Phoebe's signature but it was also on the Mega Diancie screenshots) might be a hint to that. It also would be an inteligent way of introducing ME that strictly speaking aren't from Hoenn but aren't unrelated to region either. But taking a sober view on the subject, I feel like it's me who's reading too much into it now.

On another topic: I can't understand why they'd change Sidney's signature pokémon to Shiftry. Absol is a much more iconic Dark type. When you think about Shiftry, a grass type comes to mind, counterpart of Ludicolo, another grass type. I can't figure out why they'd replace Absol, a popular mono dark type, with Shiftry, a GRASS TYPE that happens to have Dark as its secondary typing. This makes even less sense when you consider they are making an effort to stay similar to RS (Steven as a champion, Wattson having a Magneton, etc) and even Phoebe having Dusknoir isn't really a step away from the originals but more of an update (Dusclop remains her main pokémon). Now if this isn't a hint to a Shiftry ME (and E4 members having megas, which I'm skeptical about, hence my confusion) I don't know how to make sense out of this.

On another topic: I can't understand why they'd change Sidney's signature pokémon to Shiftry. Absol is a much more iconic Dark type. When you think about Shiftry, a grass type comes to mind, counterpart of Ludicolo, another grass type. I can't figure out why they'd replace Absol, a popular mono dark type, with Shiftry, a GRASS TYPE that happens to have Dark as its secondary typing. This makes even less sense when you consider they are making an effort to stay similar to RS (Steven as a champion, Wattson having a Magneton, etc) and even Phoebe having Dusknoir isn't really a step away from the originals but more of an update (Dusclop remains her main pokémon). Now if this isn't a hint to a Shiftry ME (and E4 members having megas, which I'm skeptical about, hence my confusion) I don't know how to make sense out of this.
Probably because your rival uses Absol pretty prominently in XY & it doesn't hurt to give another pokemon some shine.

Probably because your rival uses Absol pretty prominently in XY & it doesn't hurt to give another pokemon some shine.
I'll have to side with 9 Tales of Ninetales: It's the Kalos rival that "copied" Sidney and not the way around, so that doesn't necessarily justify a replacement - but, as Agonist said, GF can do pretty much whatever they deem fit.

But from that logic, Wally would need a Gallade and having prominent trainers (Phoebe, Wally) using counterparts of Hoenn pokémon that were given ME in XY increases the likelihood of them getting ME in ORAS (following on the Mawile/Sableye pattern), and if Dusknoir (Phoebe's new signature) get a ME, so would Sidney's amin pokémon, which happens to fit in with the theory that Shiftry replaced Absol because it's getting a Mega Evolution. It all ties together in the end. But I don't really see things happening exactly that way, even though I'm making sense out of the information we have, I still have the feeling I'm speculating rather wildly @_@

I'll have to side with 9 Tales of Ninetales: It's the Kalos rival that "copied" Sidney and not the way around, so that doesn't necessarily justify a replacement - but, as Agonist said, GF can do pretty much whatever they deem fit.

But from that logic, Wally would need a Gallade and having prominent trainers (Phoebe, Wally) using counterparts of Hoenn pokémon that were given ME in XY increases the likelihood of them getting ME in ORAS (following on the Mawile/Sableye pattern), and if Dusknoir (Phoebe's new signature) get a ME, so would Sidney's amin pokémon, which happens to fit in with the theory that Shiftry replaced Absol because it's getting a Mega Evolution. It all ties together in the end. But I don't really see things happening exactly that way, even though I'm making sense out of the information we have, I still have the feeling I'm speculating rather wildly @_@
In the end we all are.......its really just us grasping at straws and making the bridge to what we hope is the correct guess.

I'd love to start placing bets but lost a lot of money the last time around guessing what Gamefreak had in mind....

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The thing about walking is that it requires a lot of animation compared to what it did earlier.

In HGSS, all they needed for walking Pokémon was three sprites with two frames of animation for every Pokémon (Walking up, walking down, walking sideways, that last one can be mirrored). It involved very little data, and a rather minimal amount of spriting.

Now, however, with fancy perspectives and 3D models and whatnot, a flat two-frame sprite would look really out of place. You'd have to create a walking animation for every 3D model, of which there are a good 800 or so (a number which keeps growing for every game). A lot of data to store, nevermind a lot of animation work. Unless GameFreak wants to invest significantly in walking Pokémon, we won't see it for a while.
This makes a lot of sense. Even still, I would have been satisfied if they did it similar to that park in DPPt where you could only walk certain Pokemon (don't remember the specifics, was it just starters?) so the larger ones would stay in their balls, like how they would in buildings in HGSS. I mean of course it's cool, but how many people are actually going to take their Wailord, Lugia, Gyarados, Groudon, Arceus, other large / ridiculous mon for a nice stroll down route 113 anyway? Even if it was limited to just your starters, medium sized / popular mons and Pikachu I think a lot of people would be happy.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This makes a lot of sense. Even still, I would have been satisfied if they did it similar to that park in DPPt where you could only walk certain Pokemon (don't remember the specifics, was it just starters?) so the larger ones would stay in their balls, like how they would in buildings in HGSS. I mean of course it's cool, but how many people are actually going to take their Wailord, Lugia, Gyarados, Groudon, Arceus, other large / ridiculous mon for a nice stroll down route 113 anyway? Even if it was limited to just your starters, medium sized / popular mons and Pikachu I think a lot of people would be happy.
In a sense, you've already got what you wished for. The list of "walkable" Pokémon consists of Lapras, Mamoswine, Skiddo, Rhyhorn and Gogoat in XY already. It's just that you sit on top of them instead of them following you.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In a sense, you've already got what you wished for. The list of "walkable" Pokémon consists of Lapras, Mamoswine, Skiddo and Gogoat in XY already. It's just that you sit on top of them instead of them following you.
Touché

also Rhyhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)