Could you be your own friend?

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I once met a guy who was a lot like me in every way. Because this meant he was completely inept socially and very self-absorbed, I never found much interest in being around him (though that doesn't say much, considering I don't hang around anyone else either).

I like to be alone. So I guess technically I would never even meet myself, or at least be around in the same room with myself xD

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I once met a guy who was a lot like me in every way. Because this meant he was completely inept socially and very self-absorbed, I never found much interest in being around him (though that doesn't say much, considering I don't hang around anyone else either).
this is one of the most depressing things i've read lately

Lavos

Banned deucer.
I have really terrible social anxiety in terms of 1. approaching people/starting conversations, and 2. feeling liked or included. I am constantly in fear of being rejected or failing, so much that I consider asking a girl I really liked to prom to be one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. So if I met myself, I would probably observe myself from a distance, make several failed attempts at walking up to myself, awkwardly make eye contact, and then hurriedly walk away like nothing ever happened.

I'm one of those people who are always busy doing their own thing and always deep thinking about stuff silently so I'd imagine me and my friend would like each others company since we will never disturb each other or interact...ever.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No offense or criticism intend, but I'd like to mention a lot of people are speaking about how shy and introverted they are, how anxious they can get about talking to people. And that in a public space! In fact, good job to the lot of you.

i think it depends on the circumstances in which I'd meet myself. if I was in need of some help and clone me lent a hand, or if we met under friendly circumstances, we'd probably become good friends, and then whenever he did the douchey things I tend to do, I'd excuse him and be like "lol well I bet i would do that too so I shouldn't judge." we'd probably have great fun being assholes together. if we were strangers and I saw my clone acting like the asshole that I usually am, I'd probably hate that guy and call him out on being a dick.

in a similar vein, look at your friends currently. how much of their bad behavior do you excuse because they are your friends. if you were strangers and your friends acted the way they do, do you think you'd want to befriend them? an interesting question indeed. so then are they friends simply because of circumstances, or are they actually people with whom you want to be friends?

the above was an interesting question I thought about today. it was prompted by my friend saying to me today, after I made a pretty douchey comment at some circumstance idr what, "you're lucky I like you man or else I'd judge you so hard"

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No offense or criticism intend, but I'd like to mention a lot of people are speaking about how shy and introverted they are, how anxious they can get about talking to people. And that in a public space! In fact, good job to the lot of you.
I don't know if it really counts if we're mostly anonymous and have no physical consequences for anything. It's a lot easier to talk to words than a person.

i think it depends on the circumstances in which I'd meet myself. if I was in need of some help and clone me lent a hand, or if we met under friendly circumstances, we'd probably become good friends, and then whenever he did the douchey things I tend to do, I'd excuse him and be like "lol well I bet i would do that too so I shouldn't judge." we'd probably have great fun being assholes together. if we were strangers and I saw my clone acting like the asshole that I usually am, I'd probably hate that guy and call him out on being a dick.

in a similar vein, look at your friends currently. how much of their bad behavior do you excuse because they are your friends. if you were strangers and your friends acted the way they do, do you think you'd want to befriend them? an interesting question indeed. so then are they friends simply because of circumstances, or are they actually people with whom you want to be friends?

the above was an interesting question I thought about today. it was prompted by my friend saying to me today, after I made a pretty douchey comment at some circumstance idr what, "you're lucky I like you man or else I'd judge you so hard"
People in my family have told me they only care about me because I'm family. If I were a stranger...

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Probably... unless we're assuming same personality totally different list of interests.

I'm pretty damn intense when it comes to things I like-- and as long as the other "me" and I shared some interest (hobby, tv fandom, food interests, anything), we'd probably hit it off, talking incessantly about whatever that interest is.

I put a lot of effort into being a good listener, and really like hearing stories by other people; but on the other hand, that intensity about my own interest could make me someone hard to tolerate if I didn't share ANY interests with me.
(^does that even make sense?)

tl;dr
-If at least 1 common interest, we'd probably become best buds
-If no common interests at all... I like people in general, but I'd probably find myself intolerable in this instance.

Same personality as me? Heavens, no. I'd be able to tolerate them, but would not become their friend. Too one-sided.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I thought this thread would be about narcissism but it isn't.

I think I could be a friend with myself. I mean, I love myself a lot, we would have similar interests, and I would have somebody who appreciates my awful sense of humor.

Assuming, like most of the people in this thread, that somehow despite my social anxiety I manage to talk to myself, I would probably become friends with him since similar interests is all I really need to become friends with somebody. However, I'm very competitive by nature, which would mean both me and my clone would probably be striving to do better than the other. He'd probably be my rival, essentially.

I'm a very boring person at heart and I know that if I met myself I'd just b/s all my laughs, and my doppelganger would know as well. But, I feel like we could discuss things from different angles and it could very interesting. I think I, personally, could become friends with my clone.

Interesting idea. Can't wait for the AIs of the furure :3

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I think it depends on whether I knew they were another me. If I did then I'd understand them and get along well with them, but if I didn't I'm not sure I'd understand them and I have no idea how things would go down.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what the fuck would you have to gain from interacting with a replica of yourself? i guess you could fulfill your intense autosexual desires and have the perfect see-saw partner

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
what the fuck would you have to gain from interacting with a replica of yourself? i guess you could fulfill your intense autosexual desires and have the perfect see-saw partner
The actual question posed by the OP was if you could befriend someone with the same personality, not the exact same person.

Even then, seeing yourself from an actual outsider's perspective would likely be an educative experience for anyone.

Okay, there are two ways to look at this.
The first way is to assume that the person is identical, period. Acts the same way, likes the same things, believes the same things. If I could get to know him I think we'd be pretty good friends, especially because I have no one to talk with about my nerdier interests. (Pokemon, morality, ASOIF) Every time I meet someone who's interested in these things, we spend hours talking and usually hit off. However, if they hold the same opinions as I do it would get rather boring, up to the point where we would hang out, but won't actually talk about anything per se; we'd just goof around, play soccer, hold parties, etc.
The second way is to assume they have the same basic personality as me. I can be pretty mean and sarcastic when I want to be, so if we are in the same class for example and he says something I think is stupid (basically an opinion about something he clearly hasn't done his research in) thing would get pretty (verbally) ugly. However, class would probably be more entertaining if he started sassing people the way I do.

Through my best friend, I've actually met a lot of people who are similar to me in some ways........ and they're always extremely awkward. I've learned in these kinds of awkward moments to never put the conversation on me and to try to ask as many questions as I could. When I speak with someone I don't know, I tend to get long winded and weird. If I met someone similar enough, I probably would have a very tough time getting past the introductory stage. When I have similar interests with someone, say pokemon or smash bros, it gets a little easier to hang around them. I think the worst part though, is that I have this bad habit of never talking to someone again after I meet them. It doesn't always happen though. If I did meet someone like myself, it'd be a rocky start but I'd have enough interests to maybe stay friends if my habit doesn't kick in. I've always wanted another smash bros player besides my best friend who's ass I can kick 3 ways to next sunday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)