History of In-Game Teams

Something I've been wondering about recently is how people have played Pokémon over the years. Whether it be relatively normal or completely dumbfounding like Theorymon's various runs I figure it's worth talking about.

What I'd like to see especially is if people can genuinely remember what Pokémon they used a long time ago (in my case Red was over 15 years ago). If you can't, don't worry, just play the games again and use that team instead. Here are my own in-game teams as an example:

I think my favourite runs were Platinum and HGSS. My least favourite is probably White since it took quite a while for me to find Pokémon that didn't make me want to induce vomiting (although I reckon I did a good job in the end). I also consider a run 'completed' after I've defeated the E4's highest levels/defeated Red.

If you want to make your list look like mine, here's the template. Otherwise feel free to list stuff however you like. Also thanks to Layell for ripping the XY menu icons.

On my first run of each of these games, I think these were my teams (at time of first E4 battles):
Soul Silver: Typhlosion, Lugia, Gyarados, Dragonair, Magneton, Kadabra
White: Emboar, Stoutland, Darmanitan, Musharna, Fraxure, Bisharp
White 2: Serperior, Lucario, Excadrill, Genesect, Azumarill, Darmanitan
Y: Delphox, Venusaur, Lucario, Tyrantrum, Yveltal, Mamoswine

I'm a bit... 'special' in that I started doing three runs of each game, one for each starter a little while back and only recently stopped this approach. However, I do have a few memories...
Yellow - Pikachu, Pidgeot, Butterfree, Charizard, Venusaur, Blastoise. Yeah, yeah, I went with an Ash team...
Crystal - Meganium, Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Dragonite, Umbreon, Tyranitar. Pretty much only went with what I thought were the most powerful. Before I got Tyranitar and Dragonite I went with Noctowl and Electrode as filler iirc.
Pearl... god, Pearl. Can't even remember. Pretty sure it was like... all the starters... roserade, gyarados, lucario, luxray, garchomp, staraptor... I had so many teams I can't even remember what was my first.
Heartgold - Typhlosion, Steelix, Kingdra, Umbreon, Nidoking, Dragonite. Pretty much what I thought was the perfect, balanced team. I remember transferring them to Battle Revolution and thinking I was so smart because my Curse Steelix strategy worked so well.
White - Samurott, Unfezant, Lilligant, Chandelure, Galvantula, Reuniclus. Here's where I started finding out about competitive, stats and all the actually good strategies. I was considering Excadrill at one point but dropped it for whatever and also considered Bisharp but was turned off by the level 50 evolution mark. Still, this team probably holds the most memories for me. I also named them all after ponies because I was in my brony phase, god
White 2 - Emboar, Lucario, Espeon, Haxorus, Lapras, Metagross. Nothing too special about this team, but it did let me use a lot of Pokémon I'd never used before (apart from Lucario) and they did pleasantly surprise me.
Y - Chesnaught, Meowstic, Pangoro, Sylveon, Tyrantrum, Dragalge. I was determined to use only new Gen 6 Pokémon for this game, not even allowing myself Mega Evolutions. As these were all completely new Pokémon, I wanted to see just what they were like. ... Sylveon impressed me, that's about it.

I used to have this policy of transferring all my teams up and keeping them and EVEN USING THEM COMPETITIVELY... but just recently I've decided to release most all of them as barely any of them hold much memory for me and yeah they're kinda sorta not great competitively. So I'm only keeping about... seven and ditching the rest.

Pokemon Red:

The only one I'm not sure of is Seaking. But these are the Pokemon I remember going for the most (played Pokemon Red like twenty times, we didn't have any other games). I don't think I ever went without Growlithe/Arcanine because that was my absolute favourite Pokemon back then.

I've completely forgotten the teams for my other Pokemon runs. I usually only played once, finishing all the post-game stuff, and then waited impatiently for the next game. I do remember this team though

White2:

Though I used the Zorua given to the Trainer until I met Cobalion.

X:

I know, there's a lot of overlap over the ages :p My favourites tend to stay the same.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dont know how necessary this is, but i need to do it due to too much free time. Cant find mini sprites .__.

RED: Charizard / Nidoking / Dugtrio / Vaporeon / Scyther / Dragonite

If any one has ever played red, you will know how hard it is to not over level one mon nor use a legendary bird and beat the e4. I not know how, but i managed to do this, probably because my first two where equal lvl (high) when i caught an over levelled dugtrio. I equally trained all three till i got an underlevelled eevee, which was easy to train as a vaporeon with surf.
The other two werent as easy because i got dratini in safari zone and scyther on the shore of Cinnibar. Neither of them got any STAB, but dratini got ice beam and scyther got slash. At around e4 time it was a range from 50-60 and i remember having to train dragonair to evolve so my team would be ready

Ruby: Metagross / Masquerain / Roselia / Flygon / Chimecho / Lanturn

With my brother, i traded a beldum as my starter :^). The first gym was hard, but bubble got me through it (take down spam helped). The third gym wasnt easy as the only neutral move i had on magnemite was bubblebe (evolved him too early for bubblebeam ;;) on masquerain. It took my a while, and a lot of baiting explosions vs voltorb, but roselias leach seed and spdef got be through it. The next gym was much much harder, as all 3 of my pokes where weak to fire, but bubble + rock tomb got me through it.
It was a peice of cake from there and i dont know how i a. beat the e4 as underlevelled as i was, b. trained a masquerain, roselia and chimecho to lvl50! I guess lanturns water/eletric/ice coverage got me through it in the end :^)

Platinum: Wormdam-ground / Beuatifly / Spiritomb / Octilery / Lucario / Probopass

The main problem with starting with burmy is that it only learns protect till lvl5. Fortunately enough, after countless numbers of dustox's, i got my butterfree. Absorb and a ton (A TON) of missed rock moves got me a win gym 1 (beautifly lived on 1hp). After that death (beautifly) really swept through, this was helped by wormadam-g early EQ. The first four mons i got early, but probopass was hard to train but lucario was AMAZING. I still kept them similar level's but without lucario i wouldve lost

Black: Samurott / Gigalith / Scolipede / Sigilyph / Carracosta / Haxorus

I never defeated alder in the end. I dislike bw due to the story line and lack of previous mons. There isnt much to say apart from slightly overlevel'd haxorus .-.

Y: Greninja / Charizard / Barbaricle / Eggsecutor / Gengar

Im annoyed i only got 5, but mega gengar is so op in the playthrough, especcially if you add an option of yzard and chlorophyl eggy.
It was still a lot of fun but the e4 and champ werent hard. I beat the fire one in 4 moves, the water one in 5, the dragon one in 6 and steel in 5. The champion got 6-0'd - this was the only e4 run that i have 6-0'd without hyper potions or revives

Im looking forward to oras, hoenn is the best gen

-Leafgreen:Blastoise/Ninetales/Jolteon/Primeape/Nidoqueen/Dragonite
Yup, Dragonite. I got lucky in the Safari Zone. It takes a veryyy long time to evolve into a Dragonite, but it's worth it IMO:)

-Soulsilver:Typhlosion/Ampharos/Heracross/Golem/Quagsire
Actually, I only used five pokemon in this run, and the last slot went to a flyer, Pidgey:)

-Black:Samurott/Darmanitan/Archeops/Sawk/Krookodile/Gothitelle

-White 2:Serperior/Electivire/Arcanine/Vaporeon/Crobat/Lucario

-X:Delphox/Aegislash/Lucario/Sylveon/Staraptor/Lapras

I'm going to do mine in rough order of me starting that playthrough.

Platinum:
My first Pokémon playthrough and, as with many of us I bet, there was no real team. I would replace members at the drop of a hat since I didn't know what I was doing yet. The only consistent member was Emily the Infernape.

Yellow:
This one was much more consistent. It was Pikachu / Venusaur (Razor Leaf FTW) / Charizard / Blastoise / Dragonite / Mew (I used the Mew Glitch and used it for the Elite Four).

SoulSilver:
Thanks to trading over Eggs, I had the following team members once I could catch Pokémon: Typhlosion (actual starter) / Meganium / Feraligatr (only one to keep being used after I made a better team) / Snorlax. The final two members of my team against the Elite Four was Lugia and Scizor.

LeafGreen:
I'm actually really proud of my GBA teams. This one was Venusaur / Ninetales / Vaporeon / Fearow / Primeape / Mr. Mime. Really solid team.

Ruby:
I'm still technically in this playthrough (and I don't know if I'll ever finish it thanks to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire), but I do like the team I assembled here too. It was Swampert / Roselia / Weezing / Skarmory / Flygon / Gardenvoir.

Black:
This is the best playthrough team I've ever had. It beat the game in 2 days while all of the main members were under level 50. This wonderful team was made up of Samurott / Simisear / Chandelure / Whimsicott / Zebstrika / Stoutland. Reshiram was the seventh member (and only one over level 50), since I was having difficulty with Zekrom.

Diamond:
This is another team that was done through eggs, except I took it to another level. Thanks to breeding, wild Pokémon, and grinding in SoulSilver, I had a team of Infernape / Torterra / Feraligatr / Dragonite / Staraptor / Luxray, all in the 40+ before I even left Sandgem Town. I just breezed through the game until I had to face Team Galactic on Mt. Coronet, at which point I had caught up in levels.

Black 2:
This wasn't the best team I had, yet I did beat the game in three days...though this team was only active for two of those. The team was Samurott / Ampharos / Magmar / Weezing / Stoutland. For some reason, this team never felt right and was a pain to get through parts of the game. After I got the eighth badge, I traded over my Sandstorm team from Black: Tyranitar / Terrakion / Gliscor / Ferrothorn / Jellicent / Reuniclus. These were level 100 and fully EV trained. I wiped Team Plasma and the Elite Four off the face of the Earth.

Y:
This was much better. It was Delphox / Simisage / Blastoise (Mega) / Snorlax / Dedenne / Lucario (Mega). Some of these Pokémon (Delphox, Dedenne, and Lucario) were the first playthrough Pokémon to hit level 100 since SoulSilver.

UPDATE (21 February 2015):
Alpha Sapphire:
I used Swampert (Mega) / Gardevoir / Mightyena / Hariyama / Breloom / Pelliper. The MVPs was Swampert, Gardevoir, and Hariyama.

Last edited:
Soulsilver: Feraligatr/Poliwrarth/Steelix/Delibird/Electrode/Pikachu (this was the special event one)

White: Samurott/Krookodile/Excadrill/Archeops/Haxorus/Chandelure

Y: Blastoise/Aerodactyl/Malamar/Torkoal/Rhyperior/Chesnaught

I still don't know why I thought having a Delibird on my team was a good idea

Delibird is actually quite a good mo---owait this is in-game and there's no Ice Punch tutor in SS. Forget what I said.

Platinum: Empoleon/Garchomp/Staraptor/Tangrowth/Yanma/Bibarel
This was my first playthrough and damn this thing took quite a while, mostly because I got stuck trying to figure out why I couldn't go to Spear Pillar. The first four were the only serious mons I used.

Diamond: Infernape/Staraptor/Roserade/Dialga/Bibarel/Rotom
This time I actually knew what I was doing. Sorta. IDR why I used Rotom.

HeartGold: Typhlosion/Dragonite/Ho-Oh/Gyarados/Fearow/Sentret
inb4 "how did you beat brock"

Black: Haxorus/Darmanitan/Dewott/Pansear/Timburr/Sawk
Basically I used Pansear to beat Cilan's Pansage, Sawk to beat Lenora, and Oshawott for everything else until I got a Darumaka, then I completely neglected Oshawott and proceeded to sweep the game with Darmanitan until Mistralton Cave, when I got an Axew. After Brycen I stopped using Darmanitan. By the time I beat Ghestis Haxorus was lv. 60.

Black 2: Haxorus/Darmanitan/Heracross/Magnezone/Lucario/Eelektross
Dewott became an HM slave, and this team was actually really good. Highlights include Haxorus's Dragon Claw leaving Kyurem-B with a tiny sliver of health and actually finding a goddamn Tynamo. Plus shard grinding for all the moves I wanted.

X: Delphox/Talonflame/Floette/Blastoise/Lucario/Diggersby
EVIOLITE FLOETTE NEW META. Diggersby is also a great HM slave.

I usually shift my team around a lot while playing until I find stuff that works, but I think I recall what I used. Heck, I might even have written it down somewhere. Let's see...

For Emerald I used Gardevoir as my main (had to grind a long time for a 5% chance of Ralts appearing, cuz I wanted a Gardevoir so much), Pelipper (also worked as HM Slave...lots of HMs in Hoenn), Claydol since I thought it was really cool, Breloom, Wailord (for Dive and Ice Beam, basically) and a Shedinja I threw in at the last minute before the E4 fur the lulz....ended up defeating the champion's last Pokémon (a Gyarados?) once the rest of the team died. My secret weapon worked. ...put away my starter Swampert cuz bored.

Never finished Pearl, got bored of the dex and everything wild being the same level.

For Black I used Liligant, Excadrill, Emolga, Chandeulre and Emboar. Eventually Excadrill just started wrecking everything by itself. Also the only time I didn't pick the water starter, for some reason...

Currently attempting to finish White2, but the game is so bad I cringe while doing so.

XY I distinctly remember. I had a Greninja, a Talonflame which turned out to have zero IVs in atk and speed -.- , (mega) Venasaur, Bidoof the mighty keeper of HMs, everybody's favourite overpowered free Lucario I tried not to (ab)use, and Gardevoir. Had lots of fun, best playthrough/game since Emerald.

I didn't grasp the concept of building a team of 6 until HGSS, just plowing through the game with my overleveled starter. I built my first team for SS, and it was Typhlosion, Raichu (Pikachu coloured Pichu event), Sudowoodo, Scizor, Umbreon, and the Red Gyarados.
My playthrough of Black was a Nuzlocke, and I finished with the team of Serperior, Carracosta, Hydreigon, Beheeyem, Excadrill, and something else I can't remember right now.
My Black 2 team was Leavanny, Keldeo, Magnezone, Sigilyph, Darmanitan, and Flygon.
My Y team was Greninja, Blaziken, Tyrantrum, Gourgeist, Sylveon, and Meowstic.
Just recently I defeated the E4 in Platinum, with a team of Empoleon, Kricketune, Rotom, Gliscor, Drapion and Uxie.

Let's see...some of these I don't remember exactly, but I'll give it a shot:
FireRed: Charizard, Gyarados, Rhydon, Snorlax, Vileplume, Raichu
- I don't remember my first team, but I'm fairly certain this was my team the second time through. Not much to say...it was a while ago, I don't really remember.
Emerald: Sceptile, Gardevoir, Aggron, Hariyama, Manectric, Wailord
- I remember this one a lot better. Gardevoir was probably the MVP, and Wailord was a huge pain to train (Fluctuating experience gain...wish I'd known that before I decided to use it)
Platinum: Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Tangrowth, Machamp, Giratina
- Pretty much had Empoleon ten levels over everything else, so it pretty much steamrolled the game. Staraptor was pretty great too.
SoulSilver: Typhlosion, Exeggutor, Dewgong, Golem, Heracross, Honchkrow
- Not my first team again (This was a Nuzlocke team actually), but probably my favorite (Of most of my teams, tbh). Besides Dewgong, everything put in some serious work. Easily my best Nuzlocke and team in general.
White: Samurott, Unfezant, Krookodile, Zebstrika, Conkeldurr, Fraxure
- Decent team. Not really anything to say other than that Moxie Krookodile is a beast ingame. Never ended up evolving Fraxure because it was too weak to train (It was Modest with Rivalry or something like that)
White 2: Samurott, Volcarona, Braviary, Zoroark, Dragonite, Ampharos
- Pretty cool team. Dragonite was a late addition, being the one you get from Benga...I don't remember what I had before that
Y: Delphox, Blastoise, Trevenant, Aegislash, Pangoro, Noivern
- Pretty much everything on this team was great. Can't say so much for Trevenant and Noivern as they're unobtainable until after 7+ badges but still

Also curse my butterfingers for posting this before I was done.

Last edited:
Alright since I only remember Pokémon Pearl right now I guess I'll post it. My mighty, beautiful team was formed by:

The Almighty Empoleon, called Augustus because heck why not of the Great Roman Emperor.

The Wormy Beautifly, called Fabulous because it's so fab <3

The Sparking Luxray, called Simba because of the movie (if you don't know which movie you've got no heart nor soul braw)

The Blazing Magmar, obtained from the Electivire and Magmortar from Pokémon Battle Revolution, called Flannery because she's so hot... The Gym Leader, of course.

The Brave Staraptor, named Brave Bird because it had a Brave Nature and most of the time it bravely saved my ass using Brave Bird. Hell Yeah.

And finally the Terrific Palkia, named Suiro-sama because "Water Dragon" is Suiro in Japanese and -sama because again why the heck not <--- this

I think I'm one of those special kids who realized building a team full of pokes was a good idea, although the concept of coverage never really hit me until Gen 4. Anyways, I think I still remember most of my in-game run teams

Blue:
Venusaur/Sandslash/Vaporeon/Articuno/Zapdos/Kadabra With the latter two getting replaced with Mewtwo and Raichu in postgame

Gold:
Typhlosion/Lugia/T-Tar/Suicune/Dragonite/something

Sapphire:
No idea

Leaf Green:
Charizard/Moltres/Zapdos/Articuno/Vaporeon/Something I was super bent on using all the legendaries

Emerald:
No idea

Diamond:
Empoleon/Luxray/Garchomp/Sneasel/Staraptor/Lucario

Black:
Galvantula/Haxorus/Emboar/Seismitoed/Krookodile/Archeops I remember liking this team, but I remember going to Ghetsis super underleveled and being left with only Seismitoed for the last part of the fight

White 2:
Volcarona/Excadrill/Zangoose/Magnezone/Starmie/Skarmory I like Steel types, OK. Also, never using that Volcarona for an in-game run again

Y:
Delphox/Aerodactyl/Tyrantrum/Aegislash/Heliolisk/Azumarril Really loved that Heliolisk gets Surf

Red:

I would dump some members when I found better alternatives, i.e. Pidgeot for Articuno or Raichu for Jolteon. Articuno came in clutch against the E4.

Yellow:

Lol, by the time I got Squirtle I was already on my way to Koga.

Silver:

I had a lot of fun with this team, even though some like Noctowl had bad stats.

Crystal:

Ruby:

Platinum:

Skipped 5th gen completely.

I don't remember almost any of my in-game teams, as in the first two gens i hit restart a ton after beating the game, and tended to use different mons, well, mostly in Gen 2 where i kept resetting to level an Espeon to 100. It wasn't until Gen 3 before I stopped really doing that, but I can count the times i've beaten the Elite 4 in Ruby on one hand, and Fire Red remained unbeaten by me due to general lack of caring. It was in that generation where a quirk of me nicknaming the Early Route bird either "Bob" or "Barbaranne" started (although that name was too long until XY) and I've always beaten the elite 4 with one, save for my White 2 file where i abandoned it early on for an eventual Crobat that i ditched for a Siglyph. That said, My In-Game Team for Y consists of Delphox/Talonflame/Aurorus/Goodra/Furfrou/Hawlucha, which with the exception of Aurorus are all pokemon i knew i would be using when the game launched (Gogoat was originally slated.) In X i used Greninja/Heliolisk/Sylveon/Weezing/Talonflame/Pyroar

I usually only do 1 Nuzelocke, 1 playthrough so..

Ruby (all deceased, nuzelocke):Verde the Shiftry/Knux the Machoke/Muck the Swampert/Steel the Aggron/Soar the Swellow/Gyro the Kelceon

Ruby(playthrough)

Sceptile/Hariyama/Pelliper/Linoone/Magcargo/Groudon

Platinum(nuzelocke):

Shred the Empoleon/DIGI the Porygon-2(deceased)/Silver the Alakazam(deceased)/Raider the Staraptor/Kuras the Yanmega/Nocturn the Bronzong(deceased)

Platinum(playthrough):
Torterra/Lucario(goddamn it took a hell of a long time to train him)/Gyarados/Dusknoir/Hippowdon/Staraptor

White(nuzelocke):

Regal the Serperior/Nebula the Sigiliph(did I spell that right?)/Atlas the Gigalith/Ramses the Cofagrigus/Joyeux the Conkeldurr(deceased)/Fang the Stoutland(deceased)

White 2(playthrough)

Samurott/Tangrowth/Metagross/Crobat/Electivire/Zoroark

X(nuzelocke)

Asakura the Greninja(deceased)/Blaze the Espeon(deceased)/Varan the Venusaur(deceased)/Magnus the Magnezone/Galahad the Bisharp/Stealth the Fearow(deceased)

X(playthrough)

Greninja/Charizard/Lucario/Tyrantrum/Xerneas/Jolteon

Am I the only person who never bothers to raise a full in-game team?
I just tend to over-level my starter to death, catch some HM slaves and fight the Elite 4 with legends/random high-level Victory Road mons..
Worked for me for 6 gens! :)

In my original Sapphire, my team was Sceptile/Machamp/Filler/Filler/Filler/Filler.
Firered was even more laughable, with Blastoise and 5 fillers. In Diamond I had Torterra/Luxray/Fillers. Platinum I had Lucario and Torterra (Maybe also Staraptor? It's been so long lol.) But I sort of cheated by also getting the Heated and Shocking gifts (Level 50 Magmortar and Electivire) from PBR, which sort of let me roflstomp Team Galactic.

My teams didn't get good until, idk, Black 2? I had Serperior/Zoroark/Lucario/Cinccino/Genesect/HM slave. Genesect was replaced by Latios post-game. In my FR Nuzlocke I had Charizard/Jolteon/Pidgeot/Butterfree/Kadabra/Lapras, but only Charizard and Jolteon survived to the end. In my Platinum 'Locke I had Scizor/Weavile/Gastrodon/Staraptor/Magmortar/Dusknoir, and the team lives on in X. My next Plat run that I did to pass the time until XY had Roserade/Lucario/Garchomp (He took a ton of grinding)/Gliscor/Yanmega/Gengar. My most recent run was X, with Delphox/Charizard/Vivillon/Florges/Tyrantrum/Gogoat. In Alpha Sapphire I plan to use Sceptile/Salamence (Yay... another huge grind)/Gardevoir/Armaldo/Swellow/Milotic. (Praying to Arceus that Feebas is easier to find.)

Blue:

Back in the day I really liked this team and to be honest most of those weren't exactly bad Pokemon. Having 3 flying types was pretty stupid but Gyarados and Charizard couldn't learn Fly so that is why I never replaced Pidgeot. Golduck used to be on this team but Gyarados replaced it. This team does like standard as fuck but whatever they were badasses and I didn't really care back in the day.

Diamond:

After taking a break from Pokemon I came back to playing Diamond and it was really fun. This team was pretty well balanced even though Water types were annoying without Electric or Grass types. This team had some pretty popular Pokemon in there like Infernape and Garchomp as well as some lesses used ones like Floatzel. Golem, Luxray and Dialga used to be part of this team but they got replaced because I wanted to use some different Pokemon.

Soul Silver:

When playing through Soul Silver I again decided to go with a combination of fan favorites and some lesser used ones which is what I likealways do since then lol. Anyway this team was pretty much sweep, sweep, sweep with Skarmory to wall some stuff and slowly deal damage which worked better than expected in game. I did kind of cheat in this game by sending over a Water Stone and some TM moves for Starmie via my Diamond but I couldn't find the Water Stone and didn't want to wait for the right day at the Pokeathlon market.

Black:

This was my main team through Black and White and quite possibly one of my favorite teams. Like with most in game teams it was composed of 6 sweepers which is generally an effective way to play the game. Even though I planned this team for months I still used a lot of Pokemon for a while until I got better ones like Stoutland, Zebstrika, Simipour who didn't do shit lol and Darmanitan.

Fire Red:

After playing through the new generations I decided to go back to some of the older generations and started playing Fire Red. Basically this team was just five new Pokemon I wanted to use and a Pidgeot and most of this Pokemon are still some of my favorites to this very day. The main thing I didn't like about this team though is that aside from Venusaur and Pidgeot my team came late into the game which was a downside.

Gold:

Well dammit I loved this team lol. Basically this was just a whole bunch of underrated ( In my opinion ) Pokemon thrown together and they were pretty good in game. Most of these Pokemon were obtainable very early in the game which also made it more fun to use. Surprisingly Golduck swept most of the game for some reason as he fares well versus some tough challenges like Lance and Clair.

X:

A few months after Pokemon X came out I bought the game and made this in my opinion solid team. This team didn't really have any problems in game which may or may not be because of the broken Exp Share but whatever. While I like this team though it just isn't really a team that stands out to me for some reason.

Emerald:

So this team wasn't really a team I chose as much as it was a nuzlocke team but it was still pretty decent. Rayquaza basically flompstompt the whole game after I caught it which made it less challenging which was a bit sad but it was my first Nuzlocke so it shouldn't be too difficult. I had a Flygon in this team but a random Pokemon in Victory Road went boom and now he is dead. Some other important lsot team members include Azumarill and Grovyle which I lost around mid game.

Platinum:

My most recent finished playthrough and quite possibly the easiest one. I mean it's probably my thought because I gave all my Pokemon move tutor moves and they were already pretty good Pokemon. This team was still a fun team though and especially Rhyperior and Medicham did a lot of work. I still need to finish the whole post game with this team which is something I am gonna hopefully do soon.

So those were basically all my Pokemon teams throughout the years. I did do a few playthroughs of the first generations of Pokemon before my Red team but those were basically starter + legendary + HM slave which isn't really a real team I would count. Right now I am using a randomized team on Emerald with Lombre, Shiftry, Pelipper, Loudred, Haiyama and Grumpig at the moment. It is a weird team but it does decently and it is fun to use for sure lol.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Eh, why not.

Pearl: Empoleon/Rapidash/Crobat

Incredibly small and simple, I'm fairly sure I used other things but this was the original Triforce. Empoleon was my first Lv100 mon ever and Crobat is purely amazing <3

Platinum: Infernape/Wormadam-T/Togekiss/Froslass/idr

My memory of this one is patchy but I remember these four for sure. For some reason I gave Wormadam Stealth Rock lol, and at some point post-game I put Mismagius over something, I forget what but it wasn't Froslass. This was a fun team to play with some cool things on it :3

HeartGold: Typhlosion/Jolteon/Yanmega/Gengar/Slowking/Mamoswine

This was an interesting run to play through. I got my Yanmega from a traded egg and abused the GTS to get my Slowking and Gengar so it was somewhat tainted but not imbalanced in the slightest. Jolteon was slightly useless thanks to an unhelpful level-up movepool and Mamoswine was just a late addition because I was unrealistically afraid of Clair and Lance. I never beat them both together in the Dragon's Den but I got all 16 badges so I'm happy lol

White: Samurott/Cofagrigus/Amoonguss/Reuniclus/Unfezant

This was another difficult run, mostly because I picked really bad stuff to play with. Amoonguss and Reuniclus were both amazing, but Samurot just wasn't that fun to play with and the other two had ridiculous movepool issues. I remember having real trouble with Grimsley's Bisharp in the E4, as the only move I had to hit it with was Reuniclus' Focus Blast. Many Max Revives died that day. :'(

Black 2: Serperior/Crobat/Magnezone/Flygon/Chandelure

Probably the easiest playthrough I've ever had. Magnezone is truly ridiculous in these games and it carried me most of the way through. While Serperior was basically Grass spam for most of the story, Crobat, Flygon and Chandelure all pulled their weight admirably and made the story a breeze (although the latter came quite late in the story).

X: Delphox/Aerodactyl/Roserade/Aegislash/Slurpuff

One word: Aegislash. It evolves late but it's seriously a ridiculous Pokémon after you get the Dusk Stone. This team was basically a line-up of high-flyers (except you, Slurpuff. No-one likes you.), with all the mons having decent coverage, good stats for once and good team synergy. Aerodactyl is my favourite out of these, and it use it all the time now as a Flyer and horde EV training lead. (It's Lv100 ofc)

Sapphire: Sceptile/Sableye/Masquerain/Skarmory/Whiscash

With OR/AS on the horizon, I decided to procure myself a copy of one of the original Gen III games and play through it. I decided to go with some rarer picks, namely Sableye, Masquerain and Whiscash, to get me through the story. I'm still playing through this one (I'm at Sootopolis and very underlevelled) so I'll probably give a more complete analysis of this run when I finish, but Wattson and Flannery were big challenges. Also Sableye is a massive babe - Fake Out/Night Shade/Faint Attack too OP ^w^

It's easy to remember mine, I literally used only my starter until BW, NO LIE. My 'teams' were:

FireRed: Venusaur
Emerald: Swampert
Diamond: Torterra

And my fullish teams were:

Black: Samurott, Sawk, Krookodile, Galvantula, HM Slaves
White 2: I honestly can't remember, the game was not memorable to me in any way.
X: Greninja, Venusaur, Blazekin, Talonflame, Aurorus, Lucario (Yeah, 5/6 were giftmons, it just kinda happened that way)

And if these count:

Colosseum: Espeon, and.... Plusle. (I hated Umbreon, still do, so I replaced it with one of my favorite types, Electric.)
XD: GoD: Vaporeon and Houndoom (Named Soaker and Shredder), my starter and filler pretty much lol

tl;dr: I'm really weird with my teams.

Blue: The hell if I remember. I remember having a Blastoise though.
Gold: " " Except with Chikorita.
Sapphire: I've reset this game so many times I don't even remember. I do recall usually using Aggron and Gardevoir.
Emerald: " "
Leafgreen: " " Though like the original Blue, I think I usually used Blastoise.

Diamond:

All I remember was having a REAL struggle trying to find designs I both liked and that were balanced. And ever since, I decided I would no longer have a team that was 90% black/dark blue, lol. I think I ditched Golduck for Cloyster in post-game though, and Honchkrow for Togekiss. I was quite surprised at how powerful Honchkrow was, however, expecting it to be my flying filler.

Platinum:

Always wanted Empoleon, I thought it looked so badass in its artwork. Shame that not once has it appeared in game and looked just as cool - I think it's because in the artwork they hide it's lower beak lol. I'm pretty sure I got Magmortar, Electivire and Scizor by trading using my sister's DS sometime around the last 2 gyms lol. This is probably one of the very few times I had two Pokemon sharing a typing (Steel), which I usually can't stand lol.

Heartgold:

I originally used Typhlosion, but since I had started with Chikorita when I rented Gold at my sister's behest, I had to use it! Such cute, wow. Drifblim was from Platinum, and I think Glaceon was too. Dragonite was thanks to a friend of mine helping me learn how to completely dominate Voltorb Switch or whatever. Early Dratini for the win!

White:
(had a completely different team, but then my mother's puppy somehow got to it o_O)

Samurott was because Lilligant is my favourite Pokemon ever, which rules out getting Serperior, and Emboar was meh. Sigilyph was because I wanted a Flying-type, but then I learnt how awesome it was and fell in love ever since. Vanilluxe and Chandelure are adorable, and the main reason I used them over other Pokemon I like such as Galvantula. Mienshao was because I wanted a Fighting-type in this game, and Mienshao was so different from usual Fighting designs I loved it. Even if it only evolved right before N lol. I basically went full offense with this team.

White 2:

Emboar was just to be different. Leavanny is something different from Lilligant, but I still wanted a Grass type. Electivire was basically similar to how I got it in Platinum. Espeon was pretty much filler. Skarmory was because my team was in desperate need of a tank and a flyer, and Lapras because fuck yeah Lapras.

Y:

I was never particularly fond of this regions starters, so I basically went with Greninja. (I probably would have liked Delphox IF it wasn't competing with Charizard AND it's design wasn't so ??? Maroon? Ears that are 5 times as big as the head? Really?), Aegislash because it looked badass and was fun as hell to play, Heliolisk was kind of filler, I always liked Gardevoir, and Goodra is so cute (but a royal PAIN IN THE ASS to get).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I can never remember what my teams are, so I'll just go over the recurring roles I seem to use my Mons for.

HM Slave
Everyone has one of these since they're necessary to progress. I tend to have mine for just the non-battle HMs like Rock Smash, Strength etc.

Water-Type
Water is always an awesome type in-game, especially with access Ice Beam and Surf. My personal favorite is Vaporeon due to its sheer bulk by in-game standards and early Aurora Beam so it can actually deal with Grass-types.

Flying-Type
Fly is actually pretty legit for in-game battles, so I usually have something that uses it as its main STAB.

Starter
My overleveled One-Man Army. I usually go with the Fire starter on my first playthroughs since Fire is another awesome STAB for in-game.

The rest tend to be stuff that I like the look of or for the slightly more situational TMs like Flash or Whirlpool.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ah yes, a long history to post. Played so many games. Here we go.

Ruby:

One of the first games I played, I also have Sapphire which I obtained before Ruby but I can't remember the team I had. Swampert is one of my favorite starters, so I picked it, especially because Water-types have the lovely Surf which is awesome. Crobat was there because I felt the need for a Flying-type to handle my rival's starter (Treecko/Grovyle), and having Fly later on was helpful too. Hariyama was a neat member of my team, helping me get around Norman, Glacia, etc. Gardevoir is arguably the best Psychic-type one could ever have in-game (other than Alakazam), and I love Gardevoir. It was tough to train but as soon as I got Gardevoir I had a real powerhouse in my hands. Absol is a personal favorite of mine so I picked that as well, it kinda sucked since it didn't have any good Dark-type moves but SD+Shadow Ball proved itself useful, especially against Phoebe and Tate/Liza. Dusclops is just there lol, though it handles some Pokemon rather well and its bulk proved itself handy in clutch situations, though it was rather passive lol.

Diamond:

I like 4th Gen. Anyways, I picked the Water starter again, as you can see. Empoleon was pretty great, even as a Piplup, and proved itself very useful throughout the game. Having Surf was a nice tool too. Staraptor was the basic bird of DPP and it was pretty useful, especially with Fly, and it was powerful so it was nice to crush opponents. Its design is slick too. Luxray was pretty cool and its Electric-typing was neat, it was pretty decent in-game and I love Luxray, especially for its awesome design. Kadabra was okay even though I never traded it, it still was strong and fast so it made a good member, it was so frail though. Garchomp is awesome and even though as a Gabite it was kinda lackluster it still was cool. Lucario was added late and I got it from the Riolu egg, but it was a useful Pokemon regardless. This game was kinda hard but fun lol.

Black:

This is one of my two BW1 teams. Now I usually go for the Water starter, but this time I went for the Fire starter. Emboar was useful throughout the playthrough, even as Tepig and Pignite, and it gave me a good advantage against Lenora, Burgh, Brycen, and Grimsley. Simisage helped take care of Cress and other Water-types and was decently useful throughout the game (yes, I had the gut to keep my monkey). Gigalith is something I picked simply becuase it's sturdy and strong, and I managed to trade with myself since I have both Black and White as well as a DS Lite and a DSi. Seismitoad was good for being a Water-type and having Surf, and even though most Water-types suck, Seismitoad was good. It also gave me a decent advantage against Elesa as a Palpitoad. Sigilyph provided Fly and was good for being pretty strong. Galvantula sucked as a Joltik but as a Galvantula it was a good member of my team and helped me out of some clutch situations. Galvantula is also cool design wise so yeah. This was a fun game imo.

White:

I got my hands on both Black and White so yeah. I didn't pick the water starter in this game either, I picked Snivy. Serperior was pretty decently useful, it wasn't that strong but it was nice for its typing and it had Coil so that was neat too. Simipour was of nice help against Chili, and it had Surf which is always useful. It's also one of the few Water-types from BW1 in-game that didn't suck (the others were Samurott and Seismitoad). Zebstrika wasn't shabby since it gave me the edge against Skyla and hit decently hard, though having to stick with Spark as STAB until Victory Road kinda sucked. Unfezant is BW's basic bird so I picked it, it has Fly which is always nice, and it was strong too. Krookodile was awesome since it came right before the gym battle with Elesa, and Moxie made it a great team member throughout the game. Escavalier was great because it's strong and durable, I got it because I traded with myself lol.

White 2:

I got my hands on White 2 but not Black 2 lol. This time, I did pick the water starter, and Samurott has always been a neat mon on the team because it's strong and had a lovely movepool including Surf. I picked Stoutland simply to be a well rounded literally 2HKO doge that proved itself decently useful, though it was the least useful member, but it did have Strength and literally 2HKOed things. Crobat was my pick for my Flying-type and was pretty useful, a fast Acrobatics was cool stuff too. Lilligant was chosen to be the Grass-type and having QD made it one of the best members of my team. Magnezone was cool because it was Sturdy and really strong, I loved using Magnezone throughout the game. I have a penchant for Krookodile so it became a part of my team again, and was still awesome. White 2 was an awesome game but it took a really long time to complete lol.

Y:

The most recent game I played, so yeah. I picked the Water starter again, Greninja is awesome and was a cool member of the team; it had Surf too. Its sick Speed always came in handy as well. Talonflame wasn't bad and is XY's basic bird so I picked it for Fly and in general being able to cover Greninja rather well. I was looking for a Fairy and I didn't want to bother with Florges or Sylveon so I went with Gardevoir, like in Ruby it was tough to train but gave awesome payoffs. As for the Kanto starter from Sycamore, I went with Venusaur simply because I already had Talonflame and Greninja, and Venusaur was great, especially Mega Venusaur. I picked up a Honedge, and all throughout the game Aegislash has been great. Aegislash was clutch for its typing. Lastly, I used a Tyrantrum simply because it's decent and it was strong too, while giving me a decent edge against Clemont. This game was rather short but enjoyable.

Yeah, a long history here lol. I'm a really devoted Pokemon fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)