Ladder Balanced Hackmons

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Stealth rock kyube is a good lead although I don't personally use it because the only status move i run on it is king's shield for imposter. It is a terrific pivot so I really don't see a reason not to run it even though I don't.
What is the set though? mold breaker, refrig, ??

yes of course you can post links.

What are the best leads besides deo? What leads do you guys use?
Magic Bounce giratina for lead 2014. As long as the opposing lead isn't KyuB/TrickScarf/Moldy it gets a free sub and curse. I personally run Sub/Curse/Recover/King's Shield (keeps it from getting rekt by pursuit Yveltal)

My favourite lead is Serene Grace Meganectric with parafusion. Fast enough to outspeed most threats, but strong enough to pack a punch with Discharge and other things.

Tentacruel is viable and a bit of a side-project I'm working on. Base 100 speed means it can outrun a lot of things, nice if you want a fast Regenvester over a slow one, and it has great special bulk combined with some key resistances. Observe...

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Xerneas Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Kyogre: 186-220 (46 - 54.4%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Xerneas Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tentacruel: 105-123 (28.8 - 33.7%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO

And for fairness, against a common resistance...

252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Kyogre: 114-134 (28.2 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tentacruel: 127-150 (34.8 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Against shared resistances, the bulk is a little worse, but Tentacruel is still safely out of 2HKO range from one of the nastiest special attacks in the tier. And the key thing is that Xern calc, which is something that'd give Kyogre trouble. Really, the draw here is Tentacruel's resistances from its Poison-typing, which lets it resist Fairy, Poison (some Gengar sets), and Fighting while having a Grass neutrality (handy against Leaf Storm Contrary, which is sometimes a thing specifically to piss off opposing Kyogre). Psychic weakness kind of stinks, but Kyogre can't take Psystrikes well at all either, so the only real loss is to Psycho Boost. A weakness to Earth Power also is kind of meh, but most Ground is physical anyway, which again, Kyogre isn't too fond of either.

The standard Scald/Volt Switch/Coverage or Nuzzle or Dtail or Spin/Repeat slot 3 set AV Kyo runs works pretty well, though I've been trying some other things with it too. Sludge Wave threatens opposing Xern and other, less common fairies rather well. Acid Spray is fun and great for forcing a switch. On a non-AV set, perfectly accurate Toxic is fun and often unexpected. And apparently it can hit through stuff like Shadow Force, though the only team I'm aware of that'd be useful against is Flint's AssistArrowave team.

If you have a Fairy weakness on a team, I recommend giving it a shot. Its surprising at how well it can take hits. Just don't try to run an offensive set on it. Tentacruel's power, while decent in standard, is a bit lacking for offensive roles, so keep it relegated to defense and support.
Not convinced on using Tentacruel. Boomburst Xerneas isn't even the main threat for starters, it's rather easy to wall. Mega Gardecoir is less common, but is a lot more dangerous and actually breaks Tentacruel in half. Water Regenvestors and regenvest in general is extremely outdated at the moment. A psychic weak regenvestor is the worst thing you could have for various reasons. Why use Tentacruel over Darmanitan-Zen or heck, even Arceus-Water if speed is an issue. Darm-Z doesn't just wall every common Boomburst Pokemon bar Aerilate, it's also able to wall various Mega Mewtwo x and y.

Last edited:
No, just smack it with Fighting coverage, assuming you're using the Ghost/Fighting coverage. Spooky Plate is far superior to Draco Plate, even if you miss out on Arceus kills.
I'm using it as bulky support and imposter counter. Also, does anyone have a reliable normalize gengar-M counter? It keeps trolling my palkia and shedinja. I have prankster will o wisp, but I still could use a solid counter.

Last edited:

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Also, though I'm not sure it'd happen even if we got species clause, it could let us bring back plateless, Multitypeless Arceus forms without half of everyone's team being comprised of different Arceus forms.
lol thats a huge reason i was asking verbatim about it, but i also doubt its possibility of happening. lol.

Why use Tentacruel over Darmanitan-Zen or heck, even Arceus-Water if speed is an issue. Darm-Z doesn't just wall every common Boomburst Pokemon bar Aerilate, it's also able to wall various Mega Mewtwo x and y.
Arc Water requires a plate + Multitype, so I think that one's self explanatory. (Although I kind of want to try Waterceus sometime.)

As for over Darm-Z, well, it's nice not to piss your pants whenever Yveltal or Gengar show up. Or being able to safely switch into a Black Sludge Trick without worries in the instances that comes up.

Like I said early, it's type synergy. Some teams would benefit from Tentacruel, some Kyogre, some Darm-Z, some other mons. And Tentacruel doesn't have to be a Regenvest. I've messed around a bit with Bounce to some degree of success and I'm pretty sure it could pretend it was your Prankster Megasaur set rather well too. Regenvest is just the one that was brought up and I've messed with the most. Tentacruel is just a side project mon for me, so I'm sure there's a few other niches it could try I've not looked into yet.

Edit: Oh, for a reliable Normalize Gengar set, if they're using Entrainment, then Magic Bounce and Substitute stop it cold. If they use Skill Swap, you can just switch. Ironically, Normalize Gengar can also check Normalize Gengar, depending on the sets.

Arc Water requires a plate + Multitype, so I think that one's self explanatory. (Although I kind of want to try Waterceus sometime.)

As for over Darm-Z, well, it's nice not to piss your pants whenever Yveltal or Gengar show up. Or being able to safely switch into a Black Sludge Trick without worries in the instances that comes up.

Like I said early, it's type synergy. Some teams would benefit from Tentacruel, some Kyogre, some Darm-Z, some other mons. And Tentacruel doesn't have to be a Regenvest. I've messed around a bit with Bounce to some degree of success and I'm pretty sure it could pretend it was your Prankster Megasaur set rather well too. Regenvest is just the one that was brought up and I've messed with the most. Tentacruel is just a side project mon for me, so I'm sure there's a few other niches it could try I've not looked into yet.
I know it requires a plate, just pointing out that it may even perform better than Tentacruel with Multitype. I really don't get Tentacruel to be honest.

It's more of an accidental discovery. One of my WIP BH teams is an OU to BH conversion which had Tentacruel on it. I was like "this guy will probably suck, but let's try him out anyway." I was surprised when it actually pulled its own weight just using a slightly beefed up OU set with Liquid Ooze (and I don't mean against bad teams).

I know it requires a plate, just pointing out that it may even perform better than Tentacruel with Multitype. I really don't get Tentacruel to be honest.
Basically anything with decent bulk can be an effective regenvester. Don't focus so much on Tentacruel in particular as the idea.

There really isn't a best regenvester, it's more of a glue to patch up an unnoticed weakness imo. Hell, I've been known to run regenvest Ampharos-Mega to counter Aerialate.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Also, does anyone have a reliable normalize gengar-M counter? It keeps trolling my palkia and shedinja. I have prankster will o wisp, but I still could use a solid counter.
-ate Priority and Giratina are excellent ways to deal with it. If it has Skill Swap, sacrifice something to the Normalize and then send in your -ate priority for free. If it has Entrainment, Giratina walls it as its only attacks are normal, and you can Curse, Will-o-Wisp, Toxic, Set up hazards, Defog, and do a bunch of other stuff because Giratina isn't going to be attacking anyway. As an alternate option, Imposter walls all Normalize Mega-Gengar sets as it cannot do anything, and can pp stall them to an extent.

I can beat mega gengar by constant switching, it just takes forever. The ones I face are usually skill swap, spore, toxic, other move it never uses. Also, on the subject of a species clause, I just faced an entire team of shuckles. It was kinda funny to let it set up, then use heart swap.

Last edited:
I can beat mega gengar by constant switching, it just takes forever. The ones I face are usually skill swap, spore, toxic, other move it never uses. Also, on the subject of a species clause, I just faced an entire team of shuckles. It was kinda funny to let it set up, then use heart swap.
The best answers are just faster things like Mewtwo-Mega-Y and Aerodactyl-Mega that can OHKO with their STABs. In addition, the Normalize Mega Gengar, if it's Skill Swap, also loses if you let it swap, switch out, and switch back in. Some more unconventional answers include Multitype Arceus, Stance Change Aegislash, etc.

Thousand Arrows hits Gengar even when the user has Normalize because it is programmed to ignore immunities.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
a great check to mega gengar is actually aerialate yveltal. i honestly dont see why yveltal never uses aerialate when it does SO much...practically just copy a xerneas set: fake out extreme speed boomburst, and whatever you want (knock off id imagine) it counters mega gengar and also gives you alot of offensive momentum to boot. if its the mold breaker variant, just fire off a fake out knock off combo...normalize or electrify? fake out espeed to victory (might need to do it 2 times to actually ko it.) but it works, and gives your team a powerful offensive pokemon to boot. it counters(enless its the famed kissgar) meggar without sacrificing TOO much for your team.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
but unlike rayquaza, yveltal actually has bulk to let it take hits better, and is faster, at the cost of like...20 attack and special attack. which i like to make very clear, if the pokemon has more bulk over 20 spc attack(and attack in this case...its usually the better one *cough cough*mega latias*cough cough*

plus as i said before, yveltal adds more to your team then just "a fake out boomburst poke who gets shit on by kyurem b(your faster so you get prior damage on it with fake out on a double switch, whereas rayquaza needs to risk the speed tie)"

Yveltal can also effectively wall mega gengar, if it doesn't manage to get an attack off, as well as answer various MM2y and MM2X sets. Another advantage it has is that it forces switches with it's priority, and is quite capable of abusing that with STAB knock off, something rayquaza is not as good at. Honestly, yveltal is defensively etter, and offensively, due to knock off.

Yveltal can also effectively wall mega gengar, if it doesn't manage to get an attack off, as well as answer various MM2y and MM2X sets. Another advantage it has is that it forces switches with it's priority, and is quite capable of abusing that with STAB knock off, something rayquaza is not as good at. Honestly, yveltal is defensively etter, and offensively, due to knock off.
Also, Aerilate Yveltal is relatively rare. Most people, on seeing Yveltal won't immediately go "Oh hey, yet another -ate spammer", they'll send in something they don't mind taking sleep or Knock Off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)