Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeoLancaster

does this still work
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The only possible change that stands out to me is Immunity > Hyper Cutter on Gligar. Immunity makes a bit more sense for OU considering Poison Heal Gliscor are evolved from Immunity Gligar. Further, since it's only form of recover is Protect + Leftovers (and Wish support), being unable to Toxic stall it doesn't seem like to big of an increase in difficulty.

Really nice job Fourth Inversion!

The only possible change that stands out to me is Immunity > Hyper Cutter on Gligar. Immunity makes a bit more sense for OU considering Poison Heal Gliscor are evolved from Immunity Gligar. Further, since it's only form of recover is Protect + Leftovers (and Wish support), being unable to Toxic stall it doesn't seem like to big of an increase in difficulty.

Really nice job Fourth Inversion!
Thanks for the correction, fixed that.

Imo, take down bunnlby is fine. It's a level up move, the player will have it too, and we don't have any boosting items yet.

While I like the design of the team Fourth Inversion, I disagree with having six Pokemon on the team. The commonality among Pokemon games is that the first gym leader has exceedingly higher leveled Pokemon when compared to trainers on the previous route, but there were only at most three Pokemon on said user's team. Unless we're under the expectation that the user would be okay with level grinding (yadiyadiya want to be the best etc) then I would be against having more than three Pokemon.

Chou Toshio I'm tagging you in this because I'm about to do a shit ton of talking, but if this isn't correct or I need to wait to post all of this for the different sections then feel free to soft delete this (just so I have access to it in the future).

The reason why I decided on using the Smogon Badges is because there are many badges that require OU knowledge in order to obtain them. In addition, one's journey to be "The best Smogon OU Player" means that until Smogon recognizes them as a great player, it really means jack shit. One way for the community to realize you're valuable is to have badges, hence why I chose this.

The badges that I planned on using (in order) for this are as follows:

The following is just gym leader designation, team composition can be decided by the user base.

1) Ladybug: Oglemi
Why Ladybug: The ladybug is the first badge that you need in order to get officially recognized as a Smogonite.
Why Oglemi: Pre-Contributor leader, makes sense. Easy gym design as well, just make it super fucking fabulous.

2) Contributor: Jellicent
Why Contributor for second badge: In terms of the Smogon "hierarchy" in terms of difficult-ness to obtain a badge in relation to OU skill level, I believe that the contributor badge would fall in line for second. While there are contributors with extremely high battling skill and OU knowledge, it is not an absolute necessity. However, basic metagame knowledge is a standard for this badge, which is why it makes for a pretty solid second choice.
Why Jellicent?: Well, Oglemi is also the Contributor Leader, but Jellicent used to be it iirc. In addition, it would be really fucking cool to make his gym an alcoholic den of debauchery.

3) Tiering Contributor: Iconic
Why Tiering Contributor for the third badge and not later on?: Congrats, you're good enough of a ladder player in order to make an impact on Smogon's tiering system. However, every established battler on Smogon knows that ladder success does not automatically equate to battling expertise. Hence why this is a good third badge.
Why Iconic / who is Iconic?: Iconic is the old TC badge leader, and the reason I'm picking him over the OU council is because I have bigger plans for them ^_^.

4) Moderator: ShootingStarmie
Why Moderator?: You're established enough in the OU community that you are able to control and regulate discussion. However, the best battlers are not always moderators, hence why this is a good 4th badge.
Why SS?:He's a forum moderator, who collaboratively decide who get's to become a mod. Because he is the perfect example of successful ladder player --> OU Forum mod. I also have bigger plans for Rey.

5) Team Rater: Harsha + Jirachee
Why TR: You understand the metagame enough to be able to recognize what works successfully with different playstyles and are able to make corrections to others based on their team composition.
Why both Harsha and Jirachee?: Because they're cute n_n (badge leaders). This could be a single battle, or if we're feeling risque and jump a wee bit away from OU, could make this a double battle. It could also be "you need to beat both to get the badge" sort of thing.

6) Tutor: Limitless
Why Tutor?: You understand the metagame enough and are an established enough battler that the community recognizes you as someone who can effectively teach the metagame to others.
Why Limitless?: Badge leader, and great hair tutorial video.

7) Super Moderator: Hollywood
Why Super Moderator: Congrats, you fucking made it big.
Why Treecko: Apparently one of Treecko's area's that he controls is OU, which I didn't even know. In addition, I have bigger plans for Haunter and Aldaron

8) Administrator: chaos
Why Administrator: you are officially a SmogFag (ily chaos don't infract me).
Why chaos as the 8th gym leader and not champion?: While it would seem like chaos is the perfect fit for the champion, I would rather have him as the 8th badge leader mainly because he is the big daddy of the badge system etc. I would rather have the E4 + Champion be more related to the OU council.

In addition, my idea for the Elite Four and Champion is:
The following are the Elite Four Members:
- gr8astard
- Haunter
- M Dragon
- Nachos

The following is the Champion
- Aldaron

why this set? Well OU Council is really a 5 man co-leadership, but Aldaron has been the OU spokesperson for ages. While he and Haunter could really be swapped for this spot, Aldaron seemingly deals with much more shit more often, so I figured that he deserves it more.

That's my idea for the gym leaders and the E4, like I said Chou, if you don't want this here, delete it.

As a bonus, I was thinking of adding the Smogon Frontier, where all Frontier members were people involved with the current frontier.

Arcade Star Dice - XY and Wildcard Brain
Pyramid King dragonuser - XY
Factory Foreman CrashinBoomBang - XY
Salon Maiden FLCL - XY
Videoroom Editor aim - XY
Field Ranger Stathakis - XY
Stadium Baron CTC - XY

Pike Queen Bloo - BW
Tower Tycoon reyscarface - BW
Palace Maven Ojama - BW

Castle Valet BKC - DPP
Factory Head Philip7086 - DPP
Hall Matron DracoMalfoy - DPP

Dome Ace Golden Sun - ADV
Arena Tycoon M Dragon - ADV
Frontier Lackey undisputed - ADV

YES I KNOW M DRAGON IS THERE TWICE HE'S GOOD DEAL WITH IT :]

While I like the design of the team Fourth Inversion, I disagree with having six Pokemon on the team. The commonality among Pokemon games is that the first gym leader has exceedingly higher leveled Pokemon when compared to trainers on the previous route, but there were only at most three Pokemon on said user's team. Unless we're under the expectation that the user would be okay with level grinding (yadiyadiya want to be the best etc) then I would be against having more than three Pokemon.

Chou Toshio I'm tagging you in this because I'm about to do a shit ton of talking, but if this isn't correct or I need to wait to post all of this for the different sections then feel free to soft delete this (just so I have access to it in the future).

The reason why I decided on using the Smogon Badges is because there are many badges that require OU knowledge in order to obtain them. In addition, one's journey to be "The best Smogon OU Player" means that until Smogon recognizes them as a great player, it really means jack shit. One way for the community to realize you're valuable is to have badges, hence why I chose this.

The badges that I planned on using (in order) for this are as follows:

The following is just gym leader designation, team composition can be decided by the user base.

1) Ladybug: Oglemi
Why Ladybug: The ladybug is the first badge that you need in order to get officially recognized as a Smogonite.
Why Oglemi: Pre-Contributor leader, makes sense. Easy gym design as well, just make it super fucking fabulous.

2) Contributor: Jellicent
Why Contributor for second badge: In terms of the Smogon "hierarchy" in terms of difficult-ness to obtain a badge in relation to OU skill level, I believe that the contributor badge would fall in line for second. While there are contributors with extremely high battling skill and OU knowledge, it is not an absolute necessity. However, basic metagame knowledge is a standard for this badge, which is why it makes for a pretty solid second choice.
Why Jellicent?: Well, Oglemi is also the Contributor Leader, but Jellicent used to be it iirc. In addition, it would be really fucking cool to make his gym an alcoholic den of debauchery.

3) Tiering Contributor: Iconic
Why Tiering Contributor for the third badge and not later on?: Congrats, you're good enough of a ladder player in order to make an impact on Smogon's tiering system. However, every established battler on Smogon knows that ladder success does not automatically equate to battling expertise. Hence why this is a good third badge.
Why Iconic / who is Iconic?: Iconic is the old TC badge leader, and the reason I'm picking him over the OU council is because I have bigger plans for them ^_^.

4) Moderator: ShootingStarmie
Why Moderator?: You're established enough in the OU community that you are able to control and regulate discussion. However, the best battlers are not always moderators, hence why this is a good 4th badge.
Why SS?:He's a forum moderator, who collaboratively decide who get's to become a mod. Because he is the perfect example of successful ladder player --> OU Forum mod. I also have bigger plans for Rey.

5) Team Rater: Harsha + Jirachee
Why TR: You understand the metagame enough to be able to recognize what works successfully with different playstyles and are able to make corrections to others based on their team composition.
Why both Harsha and Jirachee?: Because they're cute n_n (badge leaders). This could be a single battle, or if we're feeling risque and jump a wee bit away from OU, could make this a double battle. It could also be "you need to beat both to get the badge" sort of thing.

6) Tutor: Limitless
Why Tutor?: You understand the metagame enough and are an established enough battler that the community recognizes you as someone who can effectively teach the metagame to others.
Why Limitless?: Badge leader, and great hair tutorial video.

7) Super Moderator: Hollywood
Why Super Moderator: Congrats, you fucking made it big.
Why Treecko: Apparently one of Treecko's area's that he controls is OU, which I didn't even know. In addition, I have bigger plans for Haunter and Aldaron

8) Administrator: chaos
Why Administrator: you are officially a SmogFag (ily chaos don't infract me).
Why chaos as the 8th gym leader and not champion?: While it would seem like chaos is the perfect fit for the champion, I would rather have him as the 8th badge leader mainly because he is the big daddy of the badge system etc. I would rather have the E4 + Champion be more related to the OU council.

In addition, my idea for the Elite Four and Champion is:
The following are the Elite Four Members:
- gr8astard
- Haunter
- M Dragon
- Nachos

The following is the Champion
- Aldaron

why this set? Well OU Council is really a 5 man co-leadership, but Aldaron has been the OU spokesperson for ages. While he and Haunter could really be swapped for this spot, Aldaron seemingly deals with much more shit more often, so I figured that he deserves it more.

That's my idea for the gym leaders and the E4, like I said Chou, if you don't want this here, delete it.

As a bonus, I was thinking of adding the Smogon Frontier, where all Frontier members were people involved with the current frontier.

Arcade Star Dice - XY and Wildcard Brain
Pyramid King dragonuser - XY
Factory Foreman CrashinBoomBang - XY
Salon Maiden FLCL - XY
Videoroom Editor aim - XY
Field Ranger Stathakis - XY
Stadium Baron CTC - XY

Pike Queen Bloo - BW
Tower Tycoon reyscarface - BW
Palace Maven Ojama - BW

Castle Valet BKC - DPP
Factory Head Philip7086 - DPP
Hall Matron DracoMalfoy - DPP

Dome Ace Golden Sun - ADV
Arena Tycoon M Dragon - ADV
Frontier Lackey undisputed - ADV

YES I KNOW M DRAGON IS THERE TWICE HE'S GOOD DEAL WITH IT :]

A very well and detailed posf bud but forgive me not replying to some of this in full (at school with barely a minute on the phone) but only thing j will touch on is the six team limit. No competitive team is as a whole, truly complete without six members and this is especially true as the first gym. Normal has Always been known to incoperate stalling tactics (Pory2 and Chansey literally call for it at times) with one or two offensive Mons (Diggersby or Staraptor usually). The main reason for the six is to achieve the full competitive team and while it clashes with the games greatly, it is us trying to make it fairly competitive. Sorry for fast half ass response but if it doesn't work ill clarify when I get on my comp.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great post @mikedecishere

I personally really want to see six member battles, and make the gym leaders the hardest part of the game (focusing on BATTLES).

Outside of that, I like a lot of the reasoning behind your post. TBH I was thinking of giving the E4/gym spots to users more known for battling, because of Smogon's competitive focus-- making the administration serve different storyline roles (Haunter could be the GS Lance of this game, showing up to beat down the team lucksackers with you). But really, gym leaders are the prominent characters in the story. They are the only characters really memorable. Giving those spots to prominent members makes sense; and having a frontier (even STRONGER than the league) based on actual frontier brains would be a great and easy-to-understand nod to both groups-- so I really like the overall idea, and we'll use your list as the basic framework, but I'd like to give participants the ability to challenge and rework it as we go through the individual gyms.

5 OU Council members for the 5 league leaders is too fitting-- still think Haunter as the GS Lance of this version is gold though! :D Can be strongest E4 member ala RBY Lance.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, from a few pages earlier, Subject18's team is Fletchinder, Bunnelby, Clefairy, Chansey, Gligar and Loudred. I'm assuming that the maximum pokemon level the leader will have is 20, and along with that, I'll assume that Eviolite won't be used as a held item, as there'll be plenty of Eviolite Chansey in the future. I'm also going to avoid Wish Chansey for the same reason. The gym gives out Protect, so I wanted to include that moveset on some of the pokemon, but without using Toxic and Protect, as Gliscor can do that a lot more effectively than Gligar. Anyway, here's my attempt at a team that's threatening, but beatable. I wanted to play with speed a bit in this team, with the idea that between Mud Shot, Bulldoze, Thunder Wave and Gale Wings, your team is likely to be moving last. I'm not sure what we're doing with EVs, so I've only included the natures.

Bunnelby @ Focus Sash
Ability: Huge Power
Level: 18
Jolly Nature
- Tackle
- Quick Attack
- Mud Shot
- Spikes

The lead pokemon. Huge Power Take Down seems a bit too strong, so I went with Tackle instead. Someone in VR suggested that Spikes Sash Diggersby was viable, so why not try it here on Bunnelby?

Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Even without Eviolite, Chansey's likely to be quite difficult to kill, so there's no Toxic, and Thunder Wave is also effective on Chansey.

Clefairy @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Disarming Voice

For support, with Wish + Protect being given to Clefairy over Chansey.

Gligar @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter Immunity
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Aerial Ace
- Bulldoze
- Protect

I didn't want to use Roost yet, and Protect + Leftovers is just a taste of the fun that comes when facing Gliscor's Protect + Poison Heal. Gligar learns Knock Off at level 10, so I had to include that.

Loudred @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 20
Jolly Nature
- Uproar

Uproar is 90 base power, and is a level up move at Level 5, so despite its high power, it was the only choice to make Loudred stand out on the team. With Scrappy, there's no need to run any other move, and it's just a low powered version of the only decent Exploud set in OU, Specs Boomburst. In order for Loudred to evolve, it needs to be Level 20, so it could possibly be replaced with Whimsur.

Fletchinder @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 20
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Incinerate

The signature pokemon, and the only one with a setup move. Aerial Ace seems like the most balanced Flying STAB to use, as Peck is too weak, and itemless Acrobatics is too strong at this stage of the game.
Overall this list is similar to what I imagined, but there are some points I'd weigh in on.

I actually think seismic toss Chansey is tough to deal with. I would rather give Chansey Protect, Toxic, Soft-boiled. Was thinking Heal Bell too, but that's probably too much alongside Clefairy's Wish.

We need something to carry SR in any case.

Obviously if Chansey was carrying it the team would improve, but I think putting on Gliscor and removing Aerial Ace or Knock Off might be more reasonable-- probably remove Aerial Ace.

This would make it easier for Timburr to do more against the Chansey-Gliscor core.

Would also like to see a more defensive Fletchinger--
@ leftovers
-WoW
-Roost
-Protect
-Aerial Ace

Also including TMs in the town is a way we can help the player while elevating the level of battle.

-Taunt
-Poison Jab

Are two we could consider

Last edited:
Overall this list is similar to what I imagined, but there are some points I'd weigh in on.

I actually think seismic toss Chansey is tough to deal with. I would rather give Chansey Protect, Toxic, Soft-boiled. Was thinking Heal Bell too, but that's probably too much alongside Clefairy's Wish.

We need something to carry SR in any case.

Obviously if Chansey was carrying it the team would improve, but I think putting on Gliscor and removing Aerial Ace or Knock Off might be more reasonable-- probably remove Aerial Ace.

This would make it easier for Timburr to do more against the Chansey-Gliscor core.

Would also like to see a more defensive Fletchinger--
@ leftovers
-WoW
-Roost
-Protect
-Roost

Also including TMs in the town is a way we can help the player while elevating the level of battle.

-Taunt
-Poison Jab

Are two we could consider
I intentionally omitted Stealth Rock, originally thinking it might be a bit much. Come to think of it though, the game's blurb tells us to 'use stealth rock in every battle', so I'd agree with including it then. I'm not so sure about that Chansey set, but if we need to use Protect more on the leader's team, then that's an option.

I went with Swords Dance Fletchinder over a defensive version, or the combined SD/Wisp/Acrobatics or other flying move/Roost set used in lower tiers (which seemed a bit too strong at this stage), so that there was one pokemon that was able to put pressure on the player, by forcing them to respond to a threat. This is one of the biggest gaps between in-game singles and competitive singles, as a good human player will exploit the overly passive play that you're able to get away with in game, and I wanted to emphasise that a bit with the first leader.

I like the idea of adding TMs in town. I'm not sure about Poison Jab, as it's not an early level up move for any pokemon, but common support moves like Taunt, Roar and Thunder Wave are common early on, and have good general utility throughout the game.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I think a defensive Fletchinger is better because we will probably see a full bird SPAM gym later (Fling for one of the gyms 6-8 I think) where we should really show off its more mainstream talents. This team is also very stall oriented in general, which I think is great since it would force players used to just attacking in game to acknowledge the power of defensive tactics in competitive.

That's also why I think Toxic should be somewhere in this team, even if only on one mon. No s-toss does mean Chansey is hard-walled by any poison type, which will mean something like Leech Seed Ivysaur can put in a lot of work. If it seems like Chansey is too helpless, we can give it t-wave + toxic

I think poison JAB is fine since Poison isn't really a great attack type, but it'll otherwise be really hard for players to get past Clefairy.

Putting Venoshock in the town would make this gym much easier for Ivysaur to beat it. A mixed sweeping Froakie has a good shot to show off its wallbreaking. Charmander is gonna have a tough time, but I like how that mirrors the balance in RBY

Wh
I think a defensive Fletchinger is better because we will probably see a full bird SPAM gym later (Fling for one of the gyms 6-8 I think) where we should really show off its more mainstream talents. This team is also very stall oriented in general, which I think is great since it would force players used to just attacking in game to acknowledge the power of defensive tactics in competitive.

That's also why I think Toxic should be somewhere in this team, even if only on one mon. No s-toss does mean Chansey is hard-walled by any poison type, which will mean something like Leech Seed Ivysaur can put in a lot of work. If it seems like Chansey is too helpless, we can give it t-wave + toxic

I think poison JAB is fine since Poison isn't really a great attack type, but it'll otherwise be really hard for players to get past Clefairy.

Putting Venoshock in the town would make this gym much easier for Ivysaur to beat it. A mixed sweeping Froakie has a good shot to show off its wallbreaking. Charmander is gonna have a tough time, but I like how that mirrors the balance in RBY
I also like the idea idea of fletchjnder being stall orientated a but more as I stated earlier fits alongside how normal generally plays.

While we continue discussing not this information will be collected in the wrap up on a few earlier pages (can't remember exact one) as it pertains to the town as a whole.

Quick question, am I allowed to create the rival battle proposal?
Um sure, I had a sampling of one back a few pages or so......let me see if I can find it.......

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-gym-leader-noms.3510993/page-32#post-5699939

This was before the first gym team was finalized and all (only showing cause its currently in the wrap up as of now). If you would to send you own proposal go ahead.

.................or is this the Ash rival? xD

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Um sure, I had a sampling of one back a few pages or so......let me see if I can find it.......

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-gym-leader-noms.3510993/page-32#post-5699939

This was before the first gym team was finalized and all (only showing cause its currently in the wrap up as of now). If you would to send you own proposal go ahead.

.................or is this the Ash rival? xD
Oh I didn't see that, yeah your idea is definitely better than mine, but how come the Larvesta has Leech Seed?

Chou Toshio , I have been hesitant to post in light of your recent speech about the direction that this thread is taking. Therefore and thus, I have questions for you regarding this thread, as I believe many users like myself are confused in what it is you want from us, hence why you had to "steer it back on track" as it were.

The first and most important question is: In what direction do you want this game to go? I and many others saw this as an opportunity to recruit more OU smogon players by creating a game that TEACHES one how to be good at OU. On the other hand, from what I can concur, you simply want to make a game that is FOR OU players (correct me if I'm wrong). This begs the question, what do you want to do with this game?

Should we proceed the teaching method, or do we simply want people who are already good to play it? Just from the first gym leader it appears to be heading towards the latter.

Second question: how much of a video game should this be?

In light of this thread, I have been researching several sources on how to make a good video game, especially Egoraptor's Sequalitis series. One thing I have learned is the idea of immersion, or how much you feel as though you are IN the video game. In our case, it is a question of how much we want this to feel like a pokemon game.

For instance, MikeDecIsHere proposed a badge system that uses smogon badges in place of atypical badge naming schemes. This would be completely fine if we were to make a game solely for smogon, but if our intention is instead to make the game "feel" like an actual game, then this would be a bad idea. After all, how can we immerse ourselves within a game if it consistently makes references to the outside world?

Again, this goes back to our purpose: are we making a pokemon game, or are we making a smogon game? This answer is unclear, and without a given answer from you, our "director", then we will consistently disappoint you.

Thus, Mr. Chou Toshio , please give us a clear direction of what the game should be. IMHO, I think it should be a game that is able to turn n00bs into 1337's just by playing the game. More importantly, I think it should feel natural to the player to WANT to become a better competitive battler, and that this desire makes them progress through. Finally, I Don't want this to be like a lecture- it shouldn't tell you everything and be boring as hell to go through.

That is all for now, I'll work on V2 of our main characters right now.

Oh yeah, and-
It is yall who do town descriptions. Cho and I are really only over stuff that isn't or hasn't been mentioned. And where is that NPC going?
Preferably put him in a barn next to the pokecenter or pokemart in Ordland.

Good thing that homework took less long than expected, I actually got them up today.

They actually have decent proportions now and I incorporated more a Sugimori-ish feel to them. I made Olivia more complex and Ulrich more simple, and for design clarity's sake I drew their bags separate. There are some eye drawings I considered, I often make notes so just ignore them. Also I drew Olivia first and Ulrich second so that people can understand their naming scheme.

Olivia and Ulrich = OU

Here is version 1 for comparison:

As always, give me comments and criticisms if you want anything changed... or not. And as stated, I can either go full my style or full Sugimori's style if preferred, or stick to the hybrid I've been doing.

On the other hand if everyone has no problems with V2, then I'll proceed to lineart and coloring schemes.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Chou Toshio , I have been hesitant to post in light of your recent speech about the direction that this thread is taking. Therefore and thus, I have questions for you regarding this thread, as I believe many users like myself are confused in what it is you want from us, hence why you had to "steer it back on track" as it were.

The first and most important question is: In what direction do you want this game to go? I and many others saw this as an opportunity to recruit more OU smogon players by creating a game that TEACHES one how to be good at OU. On the other hand, from what I can concur, you simply want to make a game that is FOR OU players (correct me if I'm wrong). This begs the question, what do you want to do with this game?

Should we proceed the teaching method, or do we simply want people who are already good to play it? Just from the first gym leader it appears to be heading towards the latter.

Second question: how much of a video game should this be?

In light of this thread, I have been researching several sources on how to make a good video game, especially Egoraptor's Sequalitis series. One thing I have learned is the idea of immersion, or how much you feel as though you are IN the video game. In our case, it is a question of how much we want this to feel like a pokemon game.

For instance, MikeDecIsHere proposed a badge system that uses smogon badges in place of atypical badge naming schemes. This would be completely fine if we were to make a game solely for smogon, but if our intention is instead to make the game "feel" like an actual game, then this would be a bad idea. After all, how can we immerse ourselves within a game if it consistently makes references to the outside world?

Again, this goes back to our purpose: are we making a pokemon game, or are we making a smogon game? This answer is unclear, and without a given answer from you, our "director", then we will consistently disappoint you.

Thus, Mr. Chou Toshio , please give us a clear direction of what the game should be. IMHO, I think it should be a game that is able to turn n00bs into 1337's just by playing the game. More importantly, I think it should feel natural to the player to WANT to become a better competitive battler, and that this desire makes them progress through. Finally, I Don't want this to be like a lecture- it shouldn't tell you everything and be boring as hell to go through.

That is all for now, I'll work on V2 of our main characters right now.

Oh yeah, and-

Preferably put him in a barn next to the pokecenter or pokemart in Ordland.

Initially this thread's concept was to be a gag/spoof of the Smogon community-- what would in-game be like if crafted to abide by what's more highly valued by the Smogon OU/competitive community. That's why a restriction to competitive Pokemon, characters based off Smogon members, Smogon community-based badges, and community-based jokes like "Go-lurk-moar" and "Are u Jelly?" are/will be included.

If you read the OP, I think it's obvious this game is Smogon-centric and has a pronounced sense of humor. It's also meant to be funny, and enjoyable by Smogon players.

But just because a game is made for on audience doesn't mean it can't appease others. Just like how the actual games are mostly aimed at elementary-middle school children but enjoyed as a competitive game by all of us, this Smogon Version can be a gag-spoof for Smogon players to enjoy that also can teach players competitive Pokemon-- after all, teaching competitive Pokemon is an important goal in our community.

However, if you want this to be a super serious game development project focusing on teaching beginners-- that's just not happening here.

First because that's a goal totally different from the initial goal/outline of the thread

Second because this isn't being developed into a game by any official means or party
-Smogon CANNOT take an official stance that supports game hacks or develops game hacks
-Smogon WILL NOT compromise its relationship with The Pokemon Company by actually developing a game that really infringes on Pokemon's copyrights

And finally because that's just not fun, amusing, or at all funny. A thread like this in the competitive OU forum cannot continue if it takes itself TOO seriously.

So yeah, this is a parody/spoof for the community first, and an educational game insofar that the community cares about education, and you'd expect a Smogon game to teach crap like IVs and EVs that GF would never explain, adding to the spoofiness.

Just like the actual Smogon community, the game should prioritize quality of battles over play as an RPG.

Well, we can obviously do both with the gym leaders. The difference between a game that handholds you through learning about competitive battling and a game that can be used for teaching about competitive battling is really going to be the sharp jump in strategy between the gym leader and the rest of the trainers in the region.

I know the gym leader (and probably his gym trainer) is going to be the first character we fight with a full team of 6, but that doesn't mean the other battles before (minus the TLS battle) won't be competitive too. They'll just be competitive with less on their plate. Though, I feel I'm kind of preaching to the choir about this I feel that we have to mention that every trainer (minus the TLS ones) will be competitive too.

The gym leaders, in my mind, would effectively be like a "Skill Gate", a way to block the trainers from going forward until they at least mastered some basic idea of competitive battling. In this case, it seems like the strategy we want trainers to learn is more aligned towards stallbreaker. What that means is I would like to have some NPCs in the area talking about stall and how to combat it. I would also like the gym leader's trainer to have his own (but not as good) stall team. What I WOULD like is for a newbie to Smogon to be able to learn how to defeat the strategy by talking with NPCs and experiencing lite versions of it. I don't think that's too much to ask since we're going in that direction anyways.

What I don't want to see is us drop the player off to defeat a trainer just telling him "lolz good luck" and that's it. I want the trainer to be able to prepare for the challenge without having to fight the gym leader once beforehand and trying to play around to figure out a working strategy. I don't want handholding either. But it would be nice if there are hints like an NPC that would say "Toxic's a terrible condition that increases the passive damage you take every turn until you die. However, Steel types, Poison types, and Pokemon with immunity laugh at it. Meanwhile, Pokemon with Poison Heal LOVE getting Toxic'd". Something like that (I would think more but this is a first thing in the morning for me).

Otherwise, I think we have two camps here complaining about things that don't really matter if they both take the philosophy that there is more to teaching than just handholding and that it IS possible to reach a happy medium.

Now, I'll admit, I'm not a competitive battler on Showdown so I don't know too much about the best of the best here and that's why I've been quiet about that. All of my battles have been on cartridge which has a whole slew of different restrictions unless you want to rely on a form of cheating (RNG-abuse, hacking) to get some things that simulators assume everyone can do. And I'm a little busy so I haven't been participating in town design as much as I would love to (the design I gave earlier was during a brief period where I was both inspired and had time), but I love this project and love the idea so I keep coming back.

That brings an interesting scenario that we might want to bring up in the future - Hidden Power Dittos. We should have a place that just gives out/sells Dittos with IVs of particular Hidden Powers. That way it'll make breeding SO much easier.

That's all I can say now before I have to head out. I just hope you guys understand what I say and come down to an agreement about what the game is supposed to be for so we can move on. I feel we've been in the third town forever now.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
Surely the player would've had some experience on the cartridge, and if he/she finds out about this game of ours, they'll know about competitive battling, even if in the slightest. So it's certain that those who play our game won't be noobs.
Regarding the town design, i'm consider making a very rough drawing on Paint according to my knowledge about the town, propose a few additions if they occur to me. I call upon everyone to decide the theme of the gym. I propose a farm-thingy with mareeps/miltanks and the gym be a simple walk-in-the-park with a single gym trainer and then the leader. The gym could be the warehouse/shed connected to the farm. this is my proposal, bring up yours as well!

Surely the player would've had some experience on the cartridge, and if he/she finds out about this game of ours, they'll know about competitive battling, even if in the slightest. So it's certain that those who play our game won't be noobs.
Regarding the town design, i'm consider making a very rough drawing on Paint according to my knowledge about the town, propose a few additions if they occur to me. I call upon everyone to decide the theme of the gym. I propose a farm-thingy with mareeps/miltanks and the gym be a simple walk-in-the-park with a single gym trainer and then the leader. The gym could be the warehouse/shed connected to the farm. this is my proposal, bring up yours as well!
.......but last I checked the leader didn't even have any farm animals in their roster...hard for me to say cause I love farm stuff in general (raise pigs myself so yah!).

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
the animals stay in the farm, away from any trainer fo the SmogSmog region. They're there 'cos.....those were the only ones i could think, they'll just be there for the scenary

Honestly if we want this game targeted for us and to be all about the battles why don't we change a few things up.

Why should all the gym leaders from the start be at extremly powerful levels with extremly powerful teams. And simply let the player go all over the map and prepare his team before he can stand a chance against any of them? I think it be a much more accurate representation of what things should be rather than fighting a weak Unevolved gym leaders team and getting to fight them again later.

SparksBlade

Community Leader
Honestly if we want this game targeted for us and to be all about the battles why don't we change a few things up.

Why should all the gym leaders from the start be at extremly powerful levels with extremly powerful teams. And simply let the player go all over the map and prepare his team before he can stand a chance against any of them? I think it be a much more accurate representation of what things should be rather than fighting a weak Unevolved gym leaders team and getting to fight them again later.
Yes the 1st base of our game is to make it in a smogon's ou environment, but the second base is the RPG game series that GF is ruining with inner focus mega gallade dishing out at us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)