SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

I heard that the whole tipping thing increases your chance of finding a shiny, I never checked up on this or tipped, but that's what I heard. It wouldn't surprise me if gamefreak was doing some kind of social experiment though.
That was tested, and pretty much proven to be false. I think the current thought is tipping ups the chances of getting the good stuff out of Secret Super Training, such as evolution stones.

Here's a mystery...how the hell does changing the trendy phrase in Dewford Town alter which fish-able tiles Feebas can be found in along Route 119? And why does this wannabe Magikarp (until it evolves) seclude itself to six random, tiny spots along that huge river in the first place?

Here's a mystery...how the hell does changing the trendy phrase in Dewford Town alter which fish-able tiles Feebas can be found in along Route 119? And why does this wannabe Magikarp (until it evolves) seclude itself to six random, tiny spots along that huge river in the first place?
While I do not have an answer to what the dewford popular phrase has anything to do with feebas, the pokedex answers why feebas can only be found in certain areas:

Diamond:
It is famous for its shabby appearance. While populous, they tend to cluster in set locations.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
That was tested, and pretty much proven to be false. I think the current thought is tipping ups the chances of getting the good stuff out of Secret Super Training, such as evolution stones.

While I do not have an answer to what the dewford popular phrase has anything to do with feebas, the pokedex answers why feebas can only be found in certain areas:
DiamondIt is famous for its shabby appearance. While populous, they tend to cluster in set locations.
Feebas is a hipster; what's mysterious about that?

On another note, what is it about the bicycle that causes Pokemon to breed and eggs to grow and hatch freakishly fast? Whatever's going on there, it's certainty not natural...

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Feebas is a hipster; what's mysterious about that?

On another note, what is it about the bicycle that causes Pokemon to breed and eggs to grow and hatch freakishly fast? Whatever's going on there, it's certainty not natural...
Unfortunate side effect of making eggs hatch by footsteps. I guess they could make it that eggs hatch after a certain amount of time based on the DS/3DS clock...but imagine how much of a nightmare that would be for us who go through hundreds of eggs to get what we want!

Story explanation: Time flies when you're having fun and bikes are indeed very fun.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I heard that the whole tipping thing increases your chance of finding a shiny, I never checked up on this or tipped, but that's what I heard. It wouldn't surprise me if gamefreak was doing some kind of social experiment though.
That was a false rumor from people desperately trying to figure out what the point of tipping was. The answer is for nothing, just like giving money to Palutena or Viridi in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Well, you do get some medals in the Global Link depending on how much you tipped collectively, but that's it.

I'm convinced that tipping was a social experiment Game Freak was conducting...to see if people could get so immersed into the game that they felt obligated to give away money to satisfy a simulation of a social norm that had zero consequence. Personally I always felt guilty if I never tipped, lol. Even if I had them say the same thing to me twice because I had to re-read it, I'd tip them twice.

Speaking of no consequence, at the Pokeball Factory, you get both the Master Ball and the Nugget, at the same time, no matter which one you choose, right? So what's the point of having a choice? Another thing that I think is just a Game Freak survey to see which one people would choose...
Social experiment might be an interesting idea, since the biggest "non-choice" in the game is weather to push a red or blue button and release Team Flare's ancient super-weapon. An interesting thought is that since whatever you choose gets overwritten by Xerosic anyway, the safest choice for Kalos is to walk away and never return.

Of course you can't finish the game then, so it looks like Calem and Serena are trapped in the Stanley Parable.

Social experiment might be an interesting idea, since the biggest "non-choice" in the game is weather to push a red or blue button and release Team Flare's ancient super-weapon. An interesting thought is that since whatever you choose gets overwritten by Xerosic anyway, the safest choice for Kalos is to walk away and never return.

Of course you can't finish the game then, so it looks like Calem and Serena are trapped in the Stanley Parable.
And who's to say Xerosic wouldn't just activate it even then? You're pretty much doomed no matter what, so may as well choose one for giggles then go kick some more Team Flare ass just as the game intends.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

I picked the blue button because:

1. You NEVER press the red button.
2. Xerneas is blue and is the life Pokemon while Yveltal is red and it's the DEATH Pokemon.
3. I saved before making my choice.

As it turns out the blue was the "right" button, but Xerosic turns it on anyway so that didn't matter. And through the rest of the end story Lysandre CONSTANTLY keeps saying he'll let you stop him and then going against his word and apologizes for it!

Lysandre: Pick the right button and you save Kalos.
*Players picks the right button*
Xerosic: LULZ, NO! *activates weapons*
Lysandre: I'm sorry, we gone too far to stop. BUT if you beat me in a battle I'll stop.
*Player beats Lysandre in a battle*
Lysandre: ... I'm sorry, we gone too far to stop. BUT if you can turn off the machine's core you can still save Kalos.
*Player turns off machine by catching the Legenary*
Lysandre: ... I'm sorry, we gone too far to stop. I'm going to need to recapture the Legendary from you. BTW I'm Doctor Octopus now.

COME ON! Either keep to your word or don't give me the option at all! I'm not going to forgive you for constantly lying (and trying to KILL EVERYONE except the human members of Team Flare) no matter how many times you apologize!

Now I actually like the concept of Lysandre's character, but the way they went about him and Team Flare just didn't gel right.

Oh, and I have my OWN mystery to ask about!

Okay, I get that the Expansion Suit can give whoever wears it super strength, super agility, and the ability to override Pokeball ownership. But how does it shapeshift? I could understand if it was creating an illusion, but according to Xerosic's notes the suit can actually shapeshift it and its wearer into different trainer classes! And maybe if it was just to taller woman or girls around the size of Emma it maybe could make a bit more sense, but at one point we're battling a little girl who's half the size of Emma!

I picked the blue button because:

1. You NEVER press the red button.
2. Xerneas is blue and is the life Pokemon while Yveltal is red and it's the DEATH Pokemon.
3. I saved before making my choice.

As it turns out the blue was the "right" button, but Xerosic turns it on anyway so that didn't matter. And through the rest of the end story Lysandre CONSTANTLY keeps saying he'll let you stop him and then going against his word and apologizes for it!

Lysandre: Pick the right button and you save Kalos.
*Players picks the right button*
Xerosic: LULZ, NO! *activates weapons*
Lysandre: I'm sorry, we gone too far to stop. BUT if you beat me in a battle I'll stop.
*Player beats Lysandre in a battle*
Lysandre: ... I'm sorry, we gone too far to stop. BUT if you can turn off the machine's core you can still save Kalos.
*Player turns off machine by catching the Legenary*
Lysandre: ... I'm sorry, we gone too far to stop. I'm going to need to recapture the Legendary from you. BTW I'm Doctor Octopus now.

COME ON! Either keep to your word or don't give me the option at all! I'm not going to forgive you for constantly lying (and trying to KILL EVERYONE except the human members of Team Flare) no matter how many times you apologize!

Now I actually like the concept of Lysandre's character, but the way they went about him and Team Flare just didn't gel right.

Oh, and I have my OWN mystery to ask about!

Okay, I get that the Expansion Suit can give whoever wears it super strength, super agility, and the ability to override Pokeball ownership. But how does it shapeshift? I could understand if it was creating an illusion, but according to Xerosic's notes the suit can actually shapeshift it and its wearer into different trainer classes! And maybe if it was just to taller woman or girls around the size of Emma it maybe could make a bit more sense, but at one point we're battling a little girl who's half the size of Emma!
Must be one somewhat tall Fairytale Girl, just the game for whatever reason shows them all exactly the same size. That, or Emma's one hell of a physically insensitive young woman to not feel her EVERYTHING be crushed and stretched to fit trainer classes taller or shorter than her...

Well, it is called the expansion suit. Maybe it expands into the shape? Like, Emma is fine as the inside skeleton, but the suit puffs out around her. Add in the octacamo from MGS4 and there you go.

Don't know about the shorties though.

At least that would justify it's ridiculously silly name.

Another theory is that it's made out of ditto's.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm fairly sure that if they could fit a Groudon into a sphere the size of a baseball, they could shrink Emma a little bit. The basic premise correlates, with the container and all. It's just a different shape.
Yeah but with Pokemon you're turning them into pure energy which is how you're able to store them into Pokeballs. After you finish the Looker missions you're able to re-battle Emma in her Expansion Suit and you can perfectly see her face behind the mask, so she hasn't been turned to energy like a Pokemon would.

Yeah but with Pokemon you're turning them into pure energy which is how you're able to store them into Pokeballs. After you finish the Looker missions you're able to re-battle Emma in her Expansion Suit and you can perfectly see her face behind the mask, so she hasn't been turned to energy like a Pokemon would.
It could be a compression field, like the Slitheen used in Doctor Who. Also could be a purely cosmetic, holographic disguise (it's not like we ever actually touch her or anything).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Actually I made a mistake, rereading though Xerosic's diary entries he says the Expansion Suit has a "texturing function", aka creates a hologram to make Emma look like someone else. I still say that doesn't make sense for the Fairytale Girl though, unless the Expansion Suit's texturing function either turns itself and its wearer invisible or does a very good job at camouflaging to its surroundings that no one notices an "invisible" body within the hologram. At least with the adult characters Emma could hide within the hologram.

I have a mystery about the hoenn region; what are the secrets behind mirage island? Mirage island is unique in that it rarely appears and that it is the only place where baby Pokemon exist in the wild (not counting the pokemon mansion is DPP, but correct me if I over looked somewhere else). One question that occured to me regards the egg obtained in lavaridge town, it is a wynaut egg and I believe it may be linked to the island since that is where wynaut dwell. And how can a population of wynaut survive without a way to repopulate? Also, what is the real purpose of mirage island? I cannot image gamefreak would put in a vanishing island just so that you can catch some wynaut....
Your insight would be appreciated.

I have a mystery about the hoenn region; what are the secrets behind mirage island? Mirage island is unique in that it rarely appears and that it is the only place where baby Pokemon exist in the wild (not counting the pokemon mansion is DPP, but correct me if I over looked somewhere else). One question that occured to me regards the egg obtained in lavaridge town, it is a wynaut egg and I believe it may be linked to the island since that is where wynaut dwell. And how can a population of wynaut survive without a way to repopulate? Also, what is the real purpose of mirage island? I cannot image gamefreak would put in a vanishing island just so that you can catch some wynaut....
Ok, there are actually a few baby pokemon that ran away from their parents and live in the wild. According to Bulbapedia's baby pokemon list, we have Cleffa in Mt. Coronet, Smoochum in the Frost Cavern or the Snowpoint Temple, Elekid in the Virbank Complex(white 2) or in Route 205, Magby in the Virbank Complex(black 2) or Route 227, Azurill in the Floccesy Ranch or Kalos Route 3/22, Budew in a few routes in Sinnoh and Route 4 in Kalos, Chingling(lol nice name) in many places in Sinnoh and Kalos, Bonsly in Routes 209 and 210, Mime Jr. in Routes 209, 210 and in the Reflection Cave, Munchlax in Honey Trees, Riolu in the Challenger's Cave, Floccesy Ranch, and Kalos Route 22, and Mantyke in many water routes. This excludes the babies that can be found in the Trophy Garden, in the Friend Safari, through the Hoenn/Sinnoh Sound, in swarms, or through the Poke Radar. Also, if we were to count these methods, then Wynaut is the only baby that can't be found in the wild in gen IV lol

how can a population of wynaut survive without a way to repopulate? Also, what is the real purpose of mirage island? I cannot image gamefreak would put in a vanishing island just so that you can catch some wynaut....
I'd say they eat the Liechi Berries in that tree(it also sort of explains why there's only one), and maybe the tall grass or flowers. As for the repopulation, I'd say some of them evolve naturally, by battling each other, and since Wobbuffet can breed(don't ask me how), they can get a Wynaut egg;)
About its purpose, I think it's similar to the choice between the Master Ball and the Big Nugget in XY, as in, there's no purpose. Maybe they couldn't think of another almost-inaccessible place to put the Liechi Berry?

Wynaut can't breed due to being a baby Pokemon, so someone had left a Wobbuffet with Lax Incense in the daycare with something else. You can catch wild baby Pokemon in several places throughout the generations, though Mirage Island is the only place you find wild Wynaut. Mirage Island has one other feature to it - you can obtain a Liechi Berry here, which really shouldn't be replanted in the same spot you picked it from as you're probably never going to be back there. (unless the clock stopping keeps the island visible if it would have been at the time, but it's still better to plant it someplace more convenient to reach like the Berry Master's garden)

Basically, other than the berry and the novelty of the catch/hatch location and being able to say, "I've been to Mirage Island!", it serves little purpose. Not everything in Game Freak's games has to serve some super serious purpose, some of it is purely for the adventure. An island that only appears once in a blue moon, no matter how useless it actually is, still tugs at the player to try and check it out at least once.

On that note...just how the hell can that old man manage to see Mirage Island from his house in Pacifidlog Town? It's not like it appears next door to the floating town, it appears way out on Route 130!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well it's the only location you can get a Liechi Berry in the Hoenn games (though not for all of Gen III as the Pokewalker could very rarely get you one). To me as long as a location provides something that no other place has that's purpose enough itself for the place to exist, especially if the item is very useful like the Liechi Berry is. You can ask the same "why is it there?" question for the Scorched Slab which only houses the TM for Sunny Day. There's nothing else there, so why is it there? Because it has the TM for Sunny Day, that's its reason for being there (it's also a reference to the Japanese legend of Amaterasu (stories people may know a bit about from the game Okami), but as far as I know Mirage Island doesn't have any legends connected to it). As for all the Wynaut, maybe them being there is a joke on it's name? In Japan it's name translate to "Really?/Is that so?" which I suppose you could take it as them questioning the island's existence.

But how do the Wynaut reproduce? Maybe this island is sort of a "breeding ground" where Wobbuffet go to every year (Wobbuffet looks like they'll float in the water), breed and produce Wynaut, leave them there to grow up, and when they evolve they leave the island only to return their for when its time for them to breed. Of course this theory becomes wobbly(ffet) when you see Wynaut that are above Level 15, but I see that as more of a "game" thing. And who knows, maybe a Pokemon gaining levels by growing up is different from a Pokemon gaining levels by battling, like when a Wynaut naturally gets to level 51 by growing up that's when they evolve to Wobbuffet compared to them gaining experience from battling which they more quickly evolve at Level 15. Also this place sort of acts like a naturally Lax Incense so only Wynaut can be produced here.

Basically, other than the berry and the novelty of the catch/hatch location and being able to say, "I've been to Mirage Island!", it serves little purpose. Not everything in Game Freak's games has to serve some super serious purpose, some of it is purely for the adventure. An island that only appears once in a blue moon, no matter how useless it actually is, still tugs at the player to try and check it out at least once.

On that note...just how the hell can that old man manage to see Mirage Island from his house in Pacifidlog Town? It's not like it appears next door to the floating town, it appears way out on Route 130!
Actually Pokemon caught/hatched on Mirage Island would say they were caught/hatched on Route 130.

As for the Old Man, it may not be the route right next to it by Pacifidlog Town is still directly east to it, so if he knows where to look he could possibly see the location where it's suppose to be thus know when its there or not there. Like if he only sees an empty horizon it's not there but if there's a bump on the horizen he knows that's Mirage Island.

NEW MYSTERY!

I don't think we covered this yet, but why can't some Pokemon learn certain moves they REALLY should be able to learn. And I'm not talking about things like Aerodactyl with Head Smash and Brave Bird (which it should be able to, by the way), I mean move they really have no reason not know.

For example, why can't Snorlax, a Pokemon who's known to be lazy and like to sleep, not be able to learn Slack Off? How come Aurorus, a Pokemon who's body is covered with gems, not learn Power Gem? How come Xerneas, the Legendary Fairy-type with a Attack stat equally as high as its Special Attack stat, can't learn Play Rough? I'm sure there are others, but to me these are some of the few which stand out the most.

Lol, sorry about not clarifying on my previous mystery, but I meant baby pokemon in the wild without any sign of the evolved version.

Pikachu315111 said:
I don't think we covered this yet, but why can't some Pokemon learn certain moves they REALLY should be able to learn. And I'm not talking about things like Aerodactyl with Head Smash and Brave Bird (which it should be able to, by the way), I mean move they really have no reason not know.

For example, why can't Snorlax, a Pokemon who's known to be lazy and like to sleep, not be able to learn Slack Off? How come Aurorus, a Pokemon who's body is covered with gems, not learn Power Gem? How come Xerneas, the Legendary Fairy-type with a Attack stat equally as high as its Special Attack stat, can't learn Play Rough? I'm sure there are others, but to me these are some of the few which stand out the most.
Anyway though, I think that this is just to avoid having pokemon that are too similar( having pokemon that are more unique) if we are thinking about it from gamefreak's perspective. If we are talking about pokemon universe logic, it makes absolutely no sense. The same goes for the opposite; like how can spheal know fissure and why can manectric know flamethrower despite not being fire type?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Lol, sorry about not clarifying on my previous mystery, but I meant baby pokemon in the wild without any sign of the evolved version.

Anyway though, I think that this is just to avoid having pokemon that are too similar( having pokemon that are more unique) if we are thinking about it from gamefreak's perspective. If we are talking about pokemon universe logic, it makes absolutely no sense. The same goes for the opposite; like how can spheal know fissure and why can manectric know flamethrower despite not being fire type?
Well if we're going to bring that up you might as well ask why not a whole evolutionary family appears in one place that a single of their evolution appears. As long as it's not a secluded place like an island I can sort of see a baby Pokemon running around on its own in the early routes.

And very true about Pokemon knowing attack they shouldn't, the probably most obvious one is Rhydon/Phyperior being able to learn Surf (as in the type they're quadruple weak to... they're now submerged in the stuff).

Perhaps it has flammable gas that it ignites in its mouth via all that electricity its body builds up? Some of these things can also attribute to the Pokemon's basis or established lore. And some may have more to do with their evolved forms. Spheal may seem odd to be able to use Fissure, but Walrein breaks ice flows with ease using its huge tusks. Xerneas would probably be extremely awkward trying to play roughly being the huge deer with the enormous antlers it is, but those antlers are perfect for launching a Megahorn or Night Slash. Though what would possess a Munchlax/Snorlax to want to blow itself up via Self-Destruct?
And very true about Pokemon knowing attack they shouldn't, the probably most obvious one is Rhydon/Phyperior being able to learn Surf (as in the type they're quadruple weak to... they're now submerged in the stuff).
Rhydon/Rhyperior is just that bad ass. It doesn't like being attacked with the stuff, but MAN can it catch some serious waves! (even though they'll barely tickle anything 4X weak to Water with such a pitiful Sp. Atk stat) Honestly I was a bit upset that HG/SS replaced the Dance Theater owner's (the guy who gives you Surf) Rhydon with Psyduck...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And the mysteries keep coming:

Pokemon World Tournament. A fun little extra where we battled the Gym Leaders and Champions throughout the generations. Now I know what you think I'm going to complain about. "Where are the Elite Four"? Actually I'm not as I already head a pretty good excuse for them not being there, with the Gym Leaders and Champion visiting Unova they need someone to be running the Pokemon League (with that said, being I consider the PWT non-canon, I see no reason why they couldn't be in there as well as the Frontier Brians). No, instead my question concerns whether the PWT is canon and I have one reason why I don't think it is: None of the characters have aged.

As far as the Pokemon timeline goes, it goes Kanto/Hoenn >3 years> Johto/Sinnoh >?> BW Unova >2 years> BW2 Unova. Now I personally think that at least 5 years took place between the events in Sinnoh and BW Unova because Caitlin is part of the Unova Elite Four and we clearly see she's grown up since the last time we saw her in Platinum/HGSS acting as co-Frontier Brain of the Battle Castle:

(I chose this image as I think the artist did a good job showing the age difference between the two)

Now I would argue she grew up more than 5 years, but for simplicity sake we'll say 5. So that means the Gym Leaders/Champions we saw in Hoenn should have aged by 10 years & the Gym Leaders/Champion we saw in HGSS (Johto & Kanto) and Sinnoh should have aged by 7 years.

Now, excusing the adult Gym Leaders/Champions as once you're fully mature you don't really visually age that much unless you start reaching middle/old age, the kid/teen Gym Leaders/Champions have no excuse why they didn't age at all. Brock, Misty, Janine, Blue, Red, Falkner, Bugsy, Whitney, Jasmine(?), Roxanne(?), Flannery(?), Tate, Liza, Maylene, and Candice should now be adults/older teens. Now obviously they look the same due to recycling the sprites/fan service, but because of that wouldn't that mean the PWT is non-canon?

Also its interesting how things can change so much in 2 or 3 years (or versions as with the case of Hoenn) with there being new Gym Leaders and Champions in a region yet according to the PWT Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh haven't changed a bit since the last time we saw them.

And of course there's GIOVANNI participating even though he was known to be the leader of Team Rocket (kind of dissapointed they never had Giovanni talked with the ex-Rocket grunt now thinking about it, of course that would mean the PWT was canon). In addition Giovanni acts as if he never went through any of his character development.

So was the PWT suppose to canon or just a fun extra fanservice to players? The oddest thing about PWT is that at least two of the Gym Leaders is seen outside it: Sabrina has a starring role in PokeStar Studios (and she actually looks older when she's in her costume) and Crasher Wake is on Route 18 (and he does mention the PWT there). Are those two roles there also non-canon? Or were those two the only actually foreign Gym Leaders to be in Unova?

And the mysteries keep coming:

Pokemon World Tournament. A fun little extra where we battled the Gym Leaders and Champions throughout the generations. Now I know what you think I'm going to complain about. "Where are the Elite Four"? Actually I'm not as I already head a pretty good excuse for them not being there, with the Gym Leaders and Champion visiting Unova they need someone to be running the Pokemon League (with that said, being I consider the PWT non-canon, I see no reason why they couldn't be in there as well as the Frontier Brians). No, instead my question concerns whether the PWT is canon and I have one reason why I don't think it is: None of the characters have aged.

As far as the Pokemon timeline goes, it goes Kanto/Hoenn >3 years> Johto/Sinnoh >?> BW Unova >2 years> BW2 Unova. Now I personally think that at least 5 years took place between the events in Sinnoh and BW Unova because Caitlin is part of the Unova Elite Four and we clearly see she's grown up since the last time we saw her in Platinum/HGSS acting as co-Frontier Brain of the Battle Castle:

(I chose this image as I think the artist did a good job showing the age difference between the two)

Now I would argue she grew up more than 5 years, but for simplicity sake we'll say 5. So that means the Gym Leaders/Champions we saw in Hoenn should have aged by 10 years & the Gym Leaders/Champion we saw in HGSS (Johto & Kanto) and Sinnoh should have aged by 7 years.

Now, excusing the adult Gym Leaders/Champions as once you're fully mature you don't really visually age that much unless you start reaching middle/old age, the kid/teen Gym Leaders/Champions have no excuse why they didn't age at all. Brock, Misty, Janine, Blue, Red, Falkner, Bugsy, Whitney, Jasmine(?), Roxanne(?), Flannery(?), Tate, Liza, Maylene, and Candice should now be adults/older teens. Now obviously they look the same due to recycling the sprites/fan service, but because of that wouldn't that mean the PWT is non-canon?

Also its interesting how things can change so much in 2 or 3 years (or versions as with the case of Hoenn) with there being new Gym Leaders and Champions in a region yet according to the PWT Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh haven't changed a bit since the last time we saw them.

And of course there's GIOVANNI participating even though he was known to be the leader of Team Rocket (kind of dissapointed they never had Giovanni talked with the ex-Rocket grunt now thinking about it, of course that would mean the PWT was canon). In addition Giovanni acts as if he never went through any of his character development.

So was the PWT suppose to canon or just a fun extra fanservice to players? The oddest thing about PWT is that at least two of the Gym Leaders is seen outside it: Sabrina has a starring role in PokeStar Studios (and she actually looks older when she's in her costume) and Crasher Wake is on Route 18 (and he does mention the PWT there). Are those two roles there also non-canon? Or were those two the only actually foreign Gym Leaders to be in Unova?
Well, some people age really slowly. My sister is 30 but looks exactly as she did at 16.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)