All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I know i didn't explicitly state it but i thought it was assumed by my post - i meant place 1-5 respectively, and i highly doubt that everyone agrees with starmie being number 1 on that list or rotom being number 5 on that list. Guess i just phrased it the wrong way here.

Has the Gen 4 OU changed since its fall ?
What are the currents trends ?
If I remerber correctly DragMag and water/fire/grass core were a thing. Is it still true today ?

Has the Gen 4 OU changed since its fall ?
What are the currents trends ?
If I remerber correctly DragMag and water/fire/grass core were a thing. Is it still true today ?
So when Salamence and Latias were banned, I remember everyone predicting the rise of Infernape. With two of it's main counters gone, sets like nasty plot mix ape were predicted to go crazy. Instead it was the rise of another popular fire type: Heatran. With the loss of Latias a lot of people had trouble checking threats that Latias easily covered and Heatran was very good at checking grass and electric types, which rose in popularity. Heatran rose to the number 1 used pokemon with a useage over 40%.

The main reason grass and electrics became more popular was because of the rise in water types, as latias was again naturally a great check to these. Also Latias checked grass types and to some extent electric types, so it was easier for them to be effective.

Water types have become very dominant in the tier, with the lack of dragons it's a very easy move to spam and is very easy to find coverage for (bolt-beam, dragon, normal, rock, flying, dark etc. all have good coverage with water attacks). This is part of the reason that Starmie is now the most used pokemon in the tier. With the rise of all three types, fire, water and grass, it's easy to see why FWG was considered a thing, although the core itself achieves nothing special.

The other reason for Starmies popularity is because the metagame has become very entry hazard based. With the loss of Latias and especially Salamence, offense took a huge knock back making it harder to break teams down. This makes passive damage such as entry hazards more useful. Entry hazards are also more commonly used on defensive teams and with less offense to worry about, defensive teams have become more popular. I think everyone would agree that Starmie is the best rapid spinner in the tier, which is very useful in the metagame. Another small note is that games are typically longer, so people switch around more, making the use of a rapid spinner more popular.

The rise in entry hazards has made Rotom forms more popular as they are undoubtedly the best rapid spin blockers in the game. The increase in both Rotom and Starmie has made Scarf tar (surprisingly) even more popular than it was in the Latias era.

One impact from the loss of Salamence is the change in the lead metagame. Salamence was such a huge threat offensively that you had to have stealth rocks up, otherwise it would repeatedly switch in and tear your team apart. This made suicide leads much more popular, where their sole purpose was to set up stealth rocks, they often carried taunt, to prevent the opponent from doing the same e.g. Azelf and Aerodactyl. The loss of mence also saw a decline in the use of anti-leads, a lead whose purpose was to prevent stealth rocks and have a good lead match-up e.g. Scarf Jirachi, Weavile, Infernape and (to some extent) Machamp. Nowadays people tend to lead with whichever member of their team has the best lead matchup (as can be seen by the rise in Zapdos leads), although dedicated leads are definitely still popular.

Drag Mag is still used and still effective. There's really only three dragons to choose from (Dragonite, Flygon and Kingdra). But they work well together and I personally still have some success with it. It is obviously no where near as popular as it was in the Latias and Salamence era.

The metagame has been stable for a while now and almost any style of team can be effective.

I have a question about the smogon adv analysis of gengar. I saw that about a year ago there was a thread created that had an updated version of that analysis. It seemed as if the analysis was ready for upload, yet as of now it hasn't been. As the current analysis for gengar is fairly outdated, and a lot of less experienced players seem to be confused about some of gengar's roles in adv, i wanted to ask, when will the new one would be implemented?

Will there be a DPPCast anytime soon. Loved the GSCCast, it was really fun to listen to.

Also: Are there any DPP YouTubers that know what they're doing and are fun to watch? I'm currently going through PDC's archive, but I know I'll end up finishing that sometime soon.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Twitch killed that shit real fast too, or whoever runs the Smogon Twitch account sucks at knowing how to apply settings. :(

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Same reason we used Skype, which refuses to work with my otherwise fully functional microphone and thus prevented me from meaningfully participating.

this question is less about an actual meta, and more about how to go about playing one frequently and with a diverse set of opponents. if someone who never played a past meta wanted to get into it now, what would be the best method of finding matches? i don't know anybody who plays DPP OU, personally, and there's nobody on the showdown ladder for it. i'll never learn an old meta if i can't find people who play it. and i really wanna play dpp ou.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
I'd say the dpp ladder on ps is rather active compared to other old gens. The deader the simulator the deader the ladder, try finding matches during times where ps as a whole is more active, american afternoon/night times are the way to go. There is also an oldgens room where you can try your luck and just ask for battles.
Pokemon Online is the simulator that is generally more active in old gens, i'd recommend installing it too. Apart from that you can read articles and forum posts and watch replays of high quality matches, which i personally find quite helpful.(smogon premier league and world cup subforums have their own replay threads)

this question is less about an actual meta, and more about how to go about playing one frequently and with a diverse set of opponents. if someone who never played a past meta wanted to get into it now, what would be the best method of finding matches? i don't know anybody who plays DPP OU, personally, and there's nobody on the showdown ladder for it. i'll never learn an old meta if i can't find people who play it. and i really wanna play dpp ou.
Download PO and keep a tab open for PS. Build a team and set notifications for battles, then go to another tab, watch some Youtube because you're probably not getting a battle for a good 10-15 minutes.

Having PO + PS is a MUST if you want diverse opponents because if you're just using one, often times you'll find yourself fighting the same guys.

You can youtube some 4th gen battles and watch some Replays on PS. ProjectMoshPit/PokeMoshPit has some excellent 4th gen battles with some skilled guys. Kevin Garrett's channel is good although pretty outdated. JackieChun also has a channel with good 4th gen battles, including one vs Earthworm who was like a god back in the day on Shoddy. These channels are helpful because you can get an idea of what gen 4 is like and get some useful analysis from the commentary.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I had a DPP Ubers game against Iris not too long ago where I used his own Stealth Rock to activate my Chomp's Salac Berry. He brought up and I also remember using hazards to activate berries did not work on shoddy, but I'm pretty sure it did on the cartridge (I don't really remember). He ended up losing because Stealth Rock activated the berry and I was wondering if that was the way it is supposed to be?

is there anyway i could get a dpp battle without having to wait for large periods of time? is there like, a specific server where more people do dpp battles?

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Smogon Tour is about to start, they will have DPP. You'd be guaranteed at least one battle per week there at a set time!

Smogon Tour is about to start, they will have DPP. You'd be guaranteed at least one battle per week there at a set time!
lol, smog tour is the whole reason I want to practice dpp, so that i'll be familliar with it by the time smog tour comes round.

If I do the cloning glitch in emerald, what is considered to be "the clone" and what is considered "the original"? The one in the box or the one in my party in front of the battle tower lady

If I do the cloning glitch in emerald, what is considered to be "the clone" and what is considered "the original"? The one in the box or the one in my party in front of the battle tower lady
It's a matter of contention, tbh. Both are legit Pokemon with no discernible differences. They're just fragments of different save files pulled together because one save was incomplete. The ones in the box are the ones that exist from a complete save file, so you could argue those are the originals because they exist from the save state you had originally. On the other hand, the ones in the party have been with you for technically slightly longer in-game and exist from the save state your game meant to create, so they're also arguably the originals.

It's almost a philosophical question at that point.

What does Ampipom do in DPP, I always thought it was a lead with Fake-out, and U-turn, but It isnt judging from the tier list thread?

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
The cores through the ages thread isn't a really reliable source for that, since that is more focused on how cores "aged". There weren't really any as handy forum sources as the xy subboards have now, but if you are looking for things you can always dig down through articles on the smog http://www.smogon.com/smog/archive (example thing i found that might interest you http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/cores and things like featured rmts often talk about their cores, while ou spotlight pokemon usually tell you what they pair well with). Looking through the closed forums section might be helpful too, here is a core project from the BW OU subforum http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/build-that-core.3459032/
There is probably alot more down there that you "just" need to dig up.

Reactions: zbr
I've been looking around, watching old replays, and watching ost week 3 battles, and so far I haven't seen a single DD Dragonite in a gen 4 battle, they've all been specially orientated. Is physical dnite really bad in dpp, or does is it just get outclassed by the special attacker one without Multiscale?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)