Manta (Ray) + Toxin

man-TOX-in

Toxurge

Toxin/Toxic + Surge, such as a power surge

TOX-urge or TOX-surge

(WIP)

Ampyrrhic

Pronounced Am-pir-rick

The first suggestion is a combination of Ampere, a unit of electrical measurement, and pyrrhic, as in pyrrhic victory. I think it fits in well with the concept in that we don't really want CAP to be KO'd, but if it does, it may well lead to somewhat of a pyrrhic victory.

Or alternatively Pyrrhictric

Pronounced Pir-rick-trick.

Following the same logic, as my first suggestion, the -tric suffix is simply based on electric.

Not sure which I prefer to be honest, but just trying to deviate from all the manta and ray suggestions.

Ugh, I really want to come up with something clever, but I'm coming up blank.

Stastyx

(STA-stiks) is my current name that I like. Combining "Static" and "Styx" (the mythological river).

I know the word "styx" would most likely be reminiscent of a dark type, however considering we have an aquatic, darkly coloured poison type, it seems like a pretty good inspiration.

Final Submission

Jolpedo

Jolt comes from the sensation of electricity, as in Jolteon. Torpedo is the name for electric rays and comes from the Latin word for paralyzed.

Pronounced: jol-PEE-doh
IPA: dʒɒlˈpiː.dəʊ

Last edited by a moderator:
Venomanta
Venom + Manta
Mantesla
Manta + Tesla
Miasmanta
Miasma (poison fog) + Manta

Which one is best?

Last edited:

Illusio

Bold and Brash
Shockaray

Shock + Ray.

Shock due to that it's an Electric type, and Ray because it's a stingray.

Tundraycid

Thunder + Ray + Acid

Thunder due to electric type, ray because it's a ray and acid because poison.

(Thun-DRAY-cid)

Or alternatively

Boltraycid

Bolt +ray+acid

(Bol-TRAY-cid)

Hmm, anyone you can make a name which comes the aspects its a manta ray, Electric-type, and Poison-type?
I feel that anything hitting all of those points would sound cheesy.

Dyneuray is the best I can come up with that meets all those points.

It would be Dynamo+Neurotoxin+Ray. Anyone have something better?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Time to make your final submissions! The window for doing so is now open. This thread will close up in about 48 hours. Please take time to read over the original post for rules and regulations of this stage. There are many nuances that will inevitably lead to numerous disqualifications. Don't let your name be one of them! Be vigilant!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Zimbabray

Combination of "Zimbabwe" and "Ray."

Pronounced: "zim-BOB-ray"

It should be obvious why Ray is in the name, but Zimbabwe not so much. I actually took inspiration from the name Zingray and those BBT parody comics that replace "bazinga" with all sorts of similarish words, including "Zimbabwe." The manta has a "magician" vibe going on with the dark purple, and "Zimbabwe" sounds like a magician's magic word. In addition, the most tenuous connections to electricity and poison can be established, electricity because of the previously mentioned link to Bazinga and how that word is typically associated with the flash's lightningbolt logo, and poison because zimbabwe is a poor african country and thus very unclean

p.s. FIRST FINAL SUB

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Teslanta

"Tesla" + "manta" (and maybe "Atlantic")

Pronounced: "Teh-SLAN-tah"
IPA: tɛslæntə

Computer having issues and real life taking more of my time means no personal comments. :/ Salt covers most of what I think about name construction, with the exception of using 'manta' as the latter half of a portmanteau, as I personally don't find the construction strange. I agree that I'd try to not use an "electric word" + "poison word" name--if you take a look at Gen. VI Pokemon names, many of them don't reference both types so explicitly. More common are words related to the design itself. There are exceptions, though, like Talonflame, so it's not at all wrong to submit that sort of name. It'd still feel generic to me, though.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Ikasushi

A combination of "Ikazuchi," Japanese for thunder, + "Sushi."

Pronounced: "EE-kah-SOO-shee"
IPA: /ˌi kɑː ˈsuː ʃi/

Sometimes GF uses the same names in the Japanese and English versions. This is a name I think CAP 19 might have gotten in the original Japanese and why not use it for the English too?

Disqualified: Final Submission

Magnavolt

Combination of "Magna", latin for great + "Volt"

Pronunciation: "mag-na-volt"

Purple+Gold = ROYALTY. The winning art design screams its extreme royalty and greatness. Thus, we should have a name that describes royalty and greatness. :D

Final Submission

Foudray

Foudre ("lightning" in French) + ray

Pronounced: foo-dray

Similar to what I submitted last CAP, this is an attempt to tie in with Kalos' French theme. Lightning+ray should be fairly self-explanatory.

Raylampalio

Ray + Relámpago (lightning in Spanish) + Talio (Thallium in Spanish)

Ray + lightning is fairly obvious. It is in reference to CAP 19's design and electric typing. Thallium is a deadly poisonous element used in assassinations.

Pronounced: Ray-LOM-pah-lee-oh

IPA: reɪlˈɑmpɑlioʊ

Final Submission

Mylioreine

Myliobatidae (suborder of Stingrays)+Reine ("queen" in French).

Pronounced: Mill-ee-oh-ren

This design is very elegant and to me looks regal, similar to Kingdra. I tried to give it as elegent as a name possible and "Mylio" flows better than "ray", and I chose "reine" because of the regal look of the design and because Kalos is based on France I opted for a French suffix.

Miasmanta

Miasma (Poison Fog) + Manta

Pronounced: mai-as-MAN-tah

The miasma ties in with the Einherjar concept because it's aura of poison dissuades someone from fainting it, also it just sounds cool. Manta is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)