Heatran (Air Balloon) [QC 2/3] (Writeup complete)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Offensive Air Balloon
########
name: Offensive Air Balloon
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Stone Edge / Ancient Power / Flash Cannon
ability: Flash Fire
item: Air Balloon
evs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Speed
nature: Timid / Modest

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is the entire purpose of the set. Heatran's ability to beat common Defoggers as well as force switches makes it a stellar Rock setter.
Fire Blast is the primary offensive move, given that it's Heatran most powerful drawback-free STAB-boosted move. The offensive nature of this set makes it a preferred option over Lava Plume.
Flamethrower can be used if you want more accuracy and PP but the lower power means it has a chance to miss out on the OHKO on Mega-Heracross, and does less damage overall.
Overheat is also a viable option, but can make Heatran very vulnerable to being forced out and set up on. Earth Power provides very solid coverage, hitting Pokemon such as Terrakion, Mega-Charizard-X and enables you to fully counter opposing Heatran as long as your balloon is intact.
Will-O-Wisp is a very useful tool for crippling physical attackers Heatran can't hit hard enough with its offensive moves, such as Tyranitar, Gyarados, Azumarill, as well as a few Ground types who will take a turn to break the balloon such as Garchomp and Hippowdon. It also enables it to bypass Sucker Punch users such as Bisharp, and can chip away at Pokemon that enjoy switching into it such as Keldeo, Greninja and Landorus-I.
Stone Edge can be used to deal with Volcarona and specially defensive Talonflame as well as stop Mega-Charizard-Y from switching in. It already hits these targets hard enough with an attack-reducing nature, so no need to use a Naive or Hasty nature.
Ancient Power is also a good option if you prefer the accuracy and aren't too concerned with Charizard-Y or Volcarona.
Flash Cannon is a solid option to hit Fairies in general, and also enables Heatran to not be walled by a few dragons such Latios, Latias and Kyurem-B.
Hidden Power Ice is an option to hit specially defensive Gliscor, and is also effective against faster Gliscor variants who, if you use Fire Blast, can stall you out with Substitute until you miss or run out of PP. It also hits Latis harder than Fire Blast does and deals massive damage to Garchomp, very nearly OHKOing it.
Taunt can let Heatran stop opposing Defoggers from removing Rocks or recovering as well as being a useful utility move in general, stopping slower setters like Tyranitar, Clefable, and slower Gliscor variants from laying down rocks, as well as letting teammates take advantage of specially defensive Pokemon like Chansey who tend to switch in,
Roar can be used as a phazing option but is generally inferior to Taunt.
Toxic can be used to threaten Latios and Latias further but doesn't necessarily help the offensive type of team this set fits on.

Set Details
========

244 Speed EVs with a Timid nature enables Heatran in to outspeed Adamant Excadrill and Jolly Mega-Heracross, as well outspeed standard SpD Charizard-X which therefore lets you 2HKO it with Earth Power before it manages to hit you with Earthquake assuming its balloon is still intact. The speed investment also enables you to outspeed as outspeed Mega-Tyranitar, Gyarados and non-Lum Berry Dragonite. Full SpA investment is given in order to hit as hard as possible, and the remaining EVs are put into HP. Running 212 Speed EVs is also an option if you're not worried about Excadrill or Heracross and want some extra bulk. If you prefer power over the ability to outspeed certain threats, a Modest nature can be chosen with a spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe, This spread outspeeds Adamant Bisharp. You can also run up to 240 Speed to outspeed Adamant Mega-Heracross.

Usage Tips
========

Since Heatran is a Stealth Rock setter, it is preferred to set up rocks early game,so leading with it is a good idea. However, it is also advised to keep your Balloon intact if you spot something it could let Heatran check (such as Garchomp or Sand Rush Excadrill). Thanks to its Air Balloon, Heatran forces a lot of switches, especially against choice-locked Earthquake users : these forced switches provide great opportunities to lay down Stealth Rock. Try to send it in on predicted Fire and Ground-type moves, but don't be too reckless so as to not lose the Balloon prematurely when you would rather keep it.

Team Options
========

This set is preferably to be used on an offensive team that enjoys Heatran's defensive capabilities (the ability to deal with most Fairies, Steel-types and Grass-types) and needs a Rock setter that can beat most Defoggers, yet doesn't want something too passive so as to not kill momentum for the team and therefore will not be satisfied with more defensive Heatran set. Air Balloon gives it an extra immunity which is very useful for gaining momentum on an offensive team, and lets it temporarily check a few big threats such as Garchomp, Excadrill, and Landorus-T. Heatran is vulnerable to strong Fighting types and Water types, particularly Terrakion, Rotom-W and Keldeo, and also struggles with Landorus-I, so it's a good idea to pack answers to these. Specifically, Latios and Latias are solid partners given that they check all of these Pokemon very well, not to mention that they are usually found offensive teams where Air Balloon Heatran is supposed to be used. Venusaur is also a notoriously good partner for it, and can easily run an offensive set suited for the kind of team this particular set fits on. It also deals with Azumarill, who is a threat to Heatran (although it is crippled by Will-O-Wisp).

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
slash modest which is p cool for the power boost. i like 52 hp / 252 satk / 204 spd with which hits 241 (+spd aegi also bisharp which is at 240) and you have the maximum power.

212 is fine for the timid spread. exca is situational at best as you have balloon and it has to be non-scarf/out of sand if sr to outspeed. extra bulk is appreciated.

taunt is sorta meh imo bc tran already beats most of your slower defoggers (skarm, mandi, non-sdef zapdos) and walls latios/latias. it stops ttar and hippo from sr'ing and chansey soft-boiled but honestly it'd be better to burn the sr setters. chansey is an issue but you have teammates for that, and sr + wisp/fire blast damage puts pressure on chansey anyways. flash cannon is worth slashing instead for the latis, fable, and kyub, as well as actually damaging azumarill, which are pretty valuable targets.

mention azumarill as one of the issues in team options though wow does cripple that.

mention why you use this set. it's an offensive heatran (so not as passive like defensive variants) that provides a sr setter which hits defoggers and checks latis/zard x among other things with its balloon that are big threats.

qc 1/3

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, done.

I think the Modest spread may want to run 240 Speed to outspeed Mega-Heracross, since that's the difference between it shredding you with Close Combat and you roasting it with Fire Blast. You can also easily come in on a Pin Missile or an EQ aimed at Aegislash so this scenario isn't unlikely at all. I guess the Jolly spread can also try to outspeed regular Heracross before it goes Mega, but that's incredibly situational since it requires you to face Heracross 1v1 as soon as it comes in, so it's probably not even worth mentioning.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, done.

I think the Modest spread may want to run 240 Speed to outspeed Mega-Heracross, since that's the difference between it shredding you with Close Combat and you roasting it with Fire Blast. You can also easily come in on a Pin Missile or an EQ aimed at Aegislash so this scenario isn't unlikely at all. I guess the Jolly spread can also try to outspeed regular Heracross before it goes Mega, but that's incredibly situational since it requires you to face Heracross 1v1 as soon as it comes in, so it's probably not even worth mentioning.
Mega Heracross isn't common enough to warrant this being mentioned as the primary spread for Modest variants. It can still be mentioned though.

Jukain

!_!
Oh mention Wisp takes a hit at Keldeo's longevity, minor I know but kinda significant nonetheless. And the main purpose is so it can actually beat +2 Mawile so mention that .-.

Albacore

Removed mentions of Pinsir since, now that Aegislash is gone, most will run Close Combat and therefore be able to beat this set.

Albacore

Okay, now that MHera is basically everywhere, and that some run a Jolly spread in order to outspeed stuff like Mew and WoW XZard as well as other stallmons who creep Adamant MHera, I was thinking of changing the main spread to 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe which lets it outpace both Jolly MHera and Adamant Heracross before Mega. Thoughts?

Jukain

!_!
Okay, now that MHera is basically everywhere, and that some run a Jolly spread in order to outspeed stuff like Mew and WoW XZard as well as other stallmons who creep Adamant MHera, I was thinking of changing the main spread to 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe which lets it outpace both Jolly MHera and Adamant Heracross before Mega. Thoughts?
id run enough speed for exca, i've been running that and it comes in handy pretty often.

Do we really need Stone Edge instead of Ancient Power on this set? Stone Edge is used on the Scarf set because it OHKOs Zard Y, but the Air Balloon set will get outsped and KOd with Focus Blast. I think Ancient Power is a better choice on this set, as while it is a little weak, it does allows you to reliably hit Talonflame rather than pray that you do not miss with Stone Edge.

Albacore

Hm, that's actually a very good point, though Stone Edge does have the advantage OHKOing Volcarona too. I'm really not sure which of the 2 moves is best overral, so like to hear what QC thinks before making this change.

I still prefer Stone Edge, because not only does it hit Volcarona, but Zard actually doesn't KO Tran w/ Focus Blast after Rocks the majority of the time, so it can act as an emergency check if needed.

252+ SpA Charizard Focus Blast vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 242-286 (74.2 - 87.7%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Also if Zard misses Focus Blast then you get a free kill lol.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, that's actually a very good point, though Stone Edge does have the advantage OHKOing Volcarona too. I'm really not sure which of the 2 moves is best overral, so like to hear what QC thinks before making this change.
You can put both imo, but Stone Edge seems to have the edge since Ancient Power doesn't even OHKO 4/0 Volcarona 9.9

Also, for innocent eyes' sake and better reading, please divide the moves into separate paragraphs.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
yo i'm away for the holiday, but i'm jw if i could use this for the main tran revamp or if i should write the set up myself. both are fine, so it's fine if it's not allowed or ok. Jukain

Albacore

I'm fine with you incorporating this in the full Heatran analysis obviously, however it might a little outdated (probably needs more emphasis on Taunt as a way to shut down Mew) so you'll need QC approval.

Albacore

Now that TheEnder has incorporated this into the full analysis, this thread can be locked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)