ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I know I've brought this up before but it didn't get much attention: isn't ORAS an awful (or at least questionable) timing for releasing megas like Beedrill and Pidgeot? First, they are much more related to the Kanto games than other Kanto pokémon such as Slowbro. Not many people have ever used Slowpokes on their FRLG runs, but I doubt you'll find someone who haven't caught a Weedle or at least a Pidgey.
Most people don't use Slowpoke while doing a Kanto run because it's so late to obtain, relatively speaking, and by that point in time, there are superior Water types to use, rather than raising a Slowpoke (which has fairly mediocre stats) to level 37. Also, while previously Weedle and Pidgey weren't in the Hoenn dex, they're absurdly common on Wondertrade, which makes them fairly to obtain (assuming WT is in the Hoenn, can't remember if it was said to be or not), and they could always throw them into the new regional dex.

Ampharos, Manetric, Abomasnow.
He mean a new electric/ice type for ORAS to have at least one native MEvo of every type.
Which probably wasn't really thought about, but...eh
If they did plan something like that, it just makes certain Pokes (hoenn pokes cough cough Walrein Plusle and Minun cough) all the more likely to MEvo.

I'm the only person in the world to think this but Mega Beedrill reminds me of Hibachi from DonPachi:
I'm right there with ya

...kind of

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I know I've brought this up before but it didn't get much attention: isn't ORAS an awful (or at least questionable) timing for releasing megas like Beedrill and Pidgeot? First, they are much more related to the Kanto games than other Kanto pokémon such as Slowbro. Not many people have ever used Slowpokes on their FRLG runs, but I doubt you'll find someone who haven't caught a Weedle or at least a Pidgey. Also, the Slowpoke family got a second evolution in Gen II and Regenerator in Gen V, which made them more mainstream and not the kind of thing you'd only see when playing FRLG or even HGSS in Pidgey's case.

But aside from the totally random timing, what upsets me the most is the fact that XY was the perfect opportunity for introducing them. The mega Kanto starters, Santalune Forest which is basically a copy of Viridian Forest where you can even find wild Pidgey and Weedle. There was a whole bit of nostalgia going on in XY and mega Pidgeot and mega Beedrill would've fit in perfectly. You would be able to mega evolve not only the starter Prof. Sycamore gave you, but also the Pidgey/Weedle caught at route 2/Santalune Forest, possibly the first pokémon you ever caught in Gen VI. With the new graphics. But no, they preferred to introduce them in ORAS instead, where they won't be catchable until post-game if at all.

I'm happy for the new megas and hope they breathe new life into those two forgotten pokémon, but I can't say I'm happy with the way they're being introduced. We're aboard the Hoenn hype train and then we find out Viridian forest is going mega. In Hoenn.
Megas are a purely competitive and end-game mechanic in most cases. Have you forgotten how few mega stones were available any time before the elite four in X/Y. I mean you can only have 1 mega at a time in your party, what good would it be if every Pokemon you could catch early in the game had a mega stone..\

It seems to me like Gamefreak intend to give everything a mega and are doing them in an order of what they themselves or their fans want the most.

I'd be pleased with even.. just sporadic patches that put new megas into the games. Each and every last mega is an enjoyable reveal, every fan of that Pokemon (and every Pokemon has fans) are overjoyed, and a new viable Pokemon makes its way into the metagame.

It seems to me like Gamefreak intend to give everything a mega..
Hopefully not every pokemon gets a mega. I mean with OR/AS we'll be at 46 Mega stones, I doubt anyone wants hundreds of Mega Stones floating around.......

Either way I really hope they continue to target pokemon that really needed it competitively or at least offer a different role they can perform.

No more Mega Blazkien / Mega Lat Twin like pokes (tho Lat Twins really aren't out yet so....), which are simply better stats with no new ability or playstyle to already great pokemon.

Hopefully not every pokemon gets a mega. I mean with OR/AS we'll be at 46 Mega stones, I doubt anyone wants hundreds of Mega Stones floating around.......

Either way I really hope they continue to target pokemon that really needed it competitively or at least offer a different role they can perform.

No more Mega Blazkien / Mega Lat Twin like pokes (tho Lat Twins really aren't out yet so....), which are simply better stats with no new ability or playstyle to already great pokemon.
Yes, and at the same time I don't want to see pokemon like Audino getting megas either. I'm totally fine with pokes like Beedrill, Pigdeot, etc getting megas.

It seems to me like Gamefreak intend to give everything a mega and are doing them in an order of what they themselves or their fans want the most.
My friend and I had this idea, that GF wants lessen the amount of new Pokemon per Gen, because if they followed the Gen V plan and making as many new Pokemon as possible, there would be less chances for anyone to catch them all and many mons would get forgotten. I'm thinking the creation of new megas isn't only helpful competitively, but that it also allows them to create new Pokemons, without having to expand the Pokedex too much.

So far I think that Game Freak's plan is to add huge batches of new Pokemon every uneven generation (Gen III added the lowest of them, and even then it was more than 130 Pokemon) and 'patch' old gameplay mechanics and Pokemon in every even generation, either through evolutions or Megas

My friend and I had this idea, that GF wants lessen the amount of new Pokemon per Gen, because if they followed the Gen V plan and making as many new Pokemon as possible, there would be less chances for anyone to catch them all and many mons would get forgotten. I'm thinking the creation of new megas isn't only helpful competitively, but that it also allows them to create new Pokemons, without having to expand the Pokedex too much.
I believe that too. Gen VII will probably have more brand-new pokémon than Gen VI, but that's only because Gen VI set the bar too low. But I think that a great deal of Gen VII pokémon will be mega evolutions of pokémon that didn't get their chance to shine in Gen VI. Because even though we're likely to end Gen VI with over 70 ME, there will still be hundreds of fully-evolved pokémon without one.

And I agree that this is a good idea. There are too many pokémon as it is and there aren't many places left where GF can get inspiration for new pokémon (just look at how mega Pidgeot resembles Braviary and you'll get a feeling that GF is running out of ideas). Also, mega evolution is a highly popular mechanic that allows GF to please its fanbase and introduce new pokémon (in a way) without stuffing the game with more bug, rock, flying types that tend to disappear in the crowd. A brilliant move.

Not to mention we should totally expect some crazy new mechanic like pokémon fusions by Gen VIII.

So far I think that Game Freak's plan is to add huge batches of new Pokemon every uneven generation (Gen III added the lowest of them, and even then it was more than 130 Pokemon) and 'patch' old gameplay mechanics and Pokemon in every even generation, either through evolutions or Megas
As much as I'd love to say one day "Ow, there are one thousand pokémon!!" I think GF has realized that creating over a hundred brand-new pokémon every 3~4 years is tough and makes them less special. And now with mega evolutions they have the perfect (and most valid too) excuse to ease up on the pokémon creation front and focus on exploring the potential of the ones that already exist.

By the way, it's quite strange that the 'reveals' on CoroCoro have not yet been fully confirmed in the games' website. So far in this generation, that has happened the day after the release of the latest issue, but not this time...

By the way, it's quite strange that the 'reveals' on CoroCoro have not yet been fully confirmed in the games' website. So far in this generation, that has happened the day after the release of the latest issue, but not this time...
We've gotten the leaks, but I don't think the issue has been released just yet. Give it a couple days.

Kyurem wants to know why he's being forgotten.
I didn't forget it. I even thought of mentioning it, but I figured it wouldn't be worth it. Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W are two Kyurem forms that happen to be obtainable by fusing Kyurem with Zekrom and Reshiram. But they're still Kyurem, just like Giratina-O is still Giratina.

When I said GF might introduce some crazy new mechanic in the future (just like they did with mega evolution last year) and used pokémon fusions as an example, I meant something unlike what we've seen before. Like pokémon A + pokémon B = pokémon C. What happens with Kyurem is: Kyurem (A) + black dragon (B) = Kyurem-black, which is still pokémon A, just in a new form.

Just wanted to clear that up. Now back on topic, it's indeed weird that the official website hasn't been updated yet. We've had some really early leaks over the past few months but that didn't stop the site for being updated 1~2 days later.

(And to be honest, I'd be glad it if those scans turned out to be fake. Yes, it's the edition where we learned we'll be able to fly through Hoenn and catch hundreds of legendaries from past generations, but it's also the edition we found out mega Beedrill and mega Pidgeot are being released in ORAS. I'd love it if we could delete that last part. Not the megas themselves, they are great, but GF could wait one year or two to release them. How about X2/Y2? They've missed XY but there's still time to make up for it.)

But yeah, that's probably just a delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)