Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better attack and better speed doesn't change the fact that Bug/Poison is a terrible offensive typing, god awful defenses, weakness to stealth rock, weak to flying and a barren movepool of low base power moves.
Sure, Bug/Poison isn't really the adaptability boost everyone would have wanted, but hitting off with a pretty huge 150 base attack, and nice coverage with Drill Run and Knock Off, it's going to still hit hard. Flying type priority sucks for most Bug types, but no one ever complains of Mega Pinsir or Mega Heracross being terrible because of it.
plus it gets electroweb, fuck yo Talonlames

God damn it man -_-

Also, agree on te Mega Altaria idea except it lacks the beautiful coverage of Char X tho.
ily Salemance <3

Also, fairy ground actually has better super effective coverage then fire dragon and hits everything but tflame, zard-y, and skarm for at least normal effectiveness. SR takes care of the former two just fine, and skarm is but 1 mon. If you don't mind forgoing roost, you can run fire blast and hit those pesky steels too.

And then there's the fact that unlike zard-x, mega alteria also can run viable mixed and full special sets as well, increasing it's unpredictability, which always works in the favor of a DDer.

I wonder if Alteria can run a decent sub-roost set? fairy-fire is not bad coverage at all (though tran laughs at it, but he laughs at everyone from behind that metal mask of his).

Sure, Bug/Poison isn't really the adaptability boost everyone would have wanted, but hitting off with a pretty huge 150 base attack, and nice coverage with Drill Run and Knock Off, it's going to still hit hard. Flying type priority sucks for most Bug types, but no one ever complains of Mega Pinsir or Mega Heracross being terrible because of it.
plus it gets electroweb, fuck yo Talonlames
Mega Heracross and Pinsir are totally different from Beedrill. Mega Heracross has solid bulk, is neutral to SR higher speed pre-evolution, and Rock Blast to deal with Flying types, while Mega Pinsir has a nuke move, decent bulk and priority. These two pokemon are extremely easy to build around, unlike Mega Beedrill. Mega Beedrill gets forced out constantly, common scarf users OHKO it, Stealth Rocks chip away at it constantly, and there are tons of ways to rid your opponent of their defoggers/Rapid Spinners.

Mega Beedrill requires too much set up and there are way better megas that you can spend your slot on that don't require such absurd conditions to be met. U-turn adaptability sounds really good on paper, but in practice it fails to stack up against so many OU pokemon, and our current trends make it extremely hard on glass cannons.

NOt to mention, you have to find some opportunity to mega evolve off of 75 BASE SPEED and paper defenses.

Last edited:
Mega Heracross and Pinsir are totally different from Beedrill. Mega Heracross has solid bulk, is neutral to SR higher speed pre-evolution, and Rock Blast to deal with Flying types, while Mega Pinsir has a nuke move, decent bulk and priority. These two pokemon are extremely easy to build around, unlike Mega Beedrill. Mega Beedrill gets forced out constantly, common scarf users OHKO it, Stealth Rocks chip away at it constantly, and there are tons of ways to rid your opponent of their defoggers/Rapid Spinners.

Mega Beedrill requires too much set up and there are way better megas that you can spend your slot on that don't require such absurd conditions to be met. U-turn adaptability sounds really good on paper, but in practice it fails to stack up against so many OU pokemon, and our current trends make it extremely hard on glass cannons.
Which is as far as I can tell lies the problem here as you try to build around it as offense rather than support as you would say Mega Manetric, meaning it is there to help others shine. It certainly won't be a center piece quite like the other two mons but it certainly has a place as a late game sweeper with its speed and attack, as well as U-turn for early game volt-turn shenanigans. It won't be difficult to pair it off with Rotom-W, but really I don't think U-turners are difficult to fit in regardless.

Did you miss its speed and atk stat? With offenses like that it has all the defense it needs, kill before being hit. It is far from being RU, especially being a speedy U-turner as those are a cinch to fit in. At the very least it will be UU, but still a viable OU mon.
There's a lot of other things in that speed range that have wider movepools that are also not walled as easily. Bug/Poison is pretty easy to handle just from a defensive typing standpoint. Terrakion, Mega Aero, Landorus-T, Mangezone, Scizor, Excadrill, Gliscor, Skarmory, and Heatran... How many OU teams carry one of those without even thinking about Mega Beedrill? Sure some things have trouble getting past one or two of them, but that's a pretty long laundry list.

Which is as far as I can tell the problem here as you try to build around it as offense rather than support as you would say Mega Manetric
What does this even mean? Mega Manectric isn't support...

There's a lot of other things in that speed range that have wider movepools that are also not walled as easily. Bug/Poison is pretty easy to handle just from a defensive typing standpoint. Terrakion, Mega Aero, Landorus-T, Mangezone, Scizor, Excadrill, Gliscor, Skarmory, and Heatran... How many OU teams carry one of those without even thinking about Mega Beedrill? Sure some things have trouble getting past one or two of them, but that's a pretty long laundry list.

What does this even mean? Mega Manectric isn't support...
Given its coverage and intimidate I wouldn't exactly compare it to an offensive sweeper it is mostly there to help wear down opponents teams and add pressure but obviously it does lack power, which it makes up for in speed. I consider it more a supporting member than an actual MVP, I usually pair it off with Diggersby and Talonflame who both appreciate it removing would be checks and clean up with ease in comparison. Removing pesky things like Skarm/Mandibuzz/Ferothorn it often contributes to my sweep fairly well.

Also I wouldn't call outspeeding base 125 Jolly (if you opt for adamant) a crowded speed tier... Out speeding a bunch of important 120s like Greninja without a scarf is a pretty big deal.

Last edited:
Wouldn't Mega Salamence be walled by Bronzong?

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Bronzong: 135-160 (39.9 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And before you say "niche", Bronzong would also wall Altaria, Lopunny, Beedrill and Swampert

Any thoughts? Or am I not understanding "wall" correctly?

Stealth Rocks suck, and there are a ton of scarfers, but that alone shouldn't make a Pokemon terrible. Glass cannons aren't made to take hits, hence the name. But Mega Beedrill is still going to be viable, maybe C ranking, as base 150 atk adaptability U-Turn/Poison Jab is still something to fear. In no way is it going to be the next broken thing, that award goes to Megamence and MegaCroBro, but it's still going to be a threat.

Wouldn't Mega Salamence be walled by Bronzong?

+1 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 152+ Def Bronzong: 135-160 (39.9 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And before you say "niche", Bronzong would also wall Altaria, Lopunny, Beedrill and Swampert

Any thoughts? Or am I not understanding "wall" correctly?
If Heatproof, Earthquake, if Levitate, Fire Blast.

Which is as far as I can tell lies the problem here as you try to build around it as offense rather than support as you would say Mega Manetric, meaning it is there to help others shine. It certainly won't be a center piece quite like the other two mons but it certainly has a place as a late game sweeper with its speed and attack, as well as U-turn for early game volt-turn shenanigans. It won't be difficult to pair it off with Rotom-W, but really I don't think U-turners are difficult to fit in regardless.
If the mega evolution of your team isn't the center piece or doesn't contribute to the center piece, then I don't consider that a good mega.

Stealth Rocks suck, and there are a ton of scarfers, but that alone shouldn't make a Pokemon terrible. Glass cannons aren't made to take hits, hence the name. But Mega Beedrill is still going to be viable, maybe C ranking, as base 150 atk adaptability U-Turn/Poison Jab is still something to fear. In no way is it going to be the next broken thing, that award goes to Megamence and MegaCroBro, but it's still going to be a threat.
I dunno, I just don't see a frail bug doing well in OU, especially when there are so many pokemon that shit on him.

If the mega evolution of your team isn't the center piece or doesn't contribute to the center piece, then I don't consider that a good mega.

I dunno, I just don't see a frail bug doing well in OU, especially when there are so many pokemon that shit on him.
I think the point is that it does have the role at contributing to the centerpiece, which is what I see it more capable of doing being a speedy U-turner and having freedom to switch moves as MManetric. Because really U-turn is just that much of an asset for support, and strong chip damage at that, aside from being a potential clean up.

That said the point here will be viability not how high in the viability rankings it will go, since we don't know how the tier will look by then.

I think the point is that it does have the role at contributing to the centerpiece, which is what I see it more capable of doing being a speedy U-turner and having freedom to switch moves as MManetric.
Believe me, I have a mighty thirst for a fast U-turning bug in OU, but this thing is really underwhelming. It gets 2HKO'd by any priority, gets forced out by landorus-t (one of the most popular pokemon in the tier right now), and has so much competition for the mega slot that I don't see much of a future for it.

There are plenty of worthy U-turn users in OU that aren't weak as shit and actually contribute to the team as a whole.

Given its coverage and intimidate I wouldn't exactly compare it to an offensive sweeper it is mostly there to help wear down opponents teams and add pressure but obviously it does lack power, which it makes up for in speed. I consider it more a supporting member than an actual MVP, I usually pair it off with Diggersby and Talonflame who both appreciate it removing would be checks and clean up more ease in comparison.

Also I wouldn't call outspeeding base 125 Jolly (if you opt for adamant) a crowded speed tier... Out speeding a bunch of important 120s like Greninja is a pretty big deal.
It's crowded from the perspective that Mega Aero, Mega Zam, Mega Manectric and Mega Sceptile all compete with it as far as speed goes. All of them have wider movepools, better typing, more general utility, or a combination of the three. It's tough to find a scenario where you would use Beedrill over one of those, unless you specifically need U-Turn over Volt Switch for some reason.

Also, when you said support, the first place my mind went was more in the Azelf/Skarm/Cleric capacity, not the hole-puncher/cleaner type.

It's crowded from the perspective that Mega Aero, Mega Zam, Mega Manectric and Mega Sceptile all compete with it as far as speed goes. All of them have wider movepools, better typing, more general utility, or a combination of the three. It's tough to find a scenario where you would use Beedrill over one of those, unless you specifically need U-Turn over Volt Switch for some reason.

Also, when you said support, the first place my mind went was more in the Azelf/Skarm/Cleric capacity, not the hole-puncher/cleaner type.
I wouldn't really compare it to to other megas aside from MManetric (whom I use Jolly so I don't see it as competing in that tier as he doesn't have the speed of the other 3) since it just doesn't work quite like the other 3, aside from maybe late game sweeping. I still fail to see how U-turn/Poison Jab/Drill Run/Knock off lacks coverage. Though on that note going back to earlier mentions of frailty it doesn't exactly stop Mega-Zam either. Clearly it will require more support in removal of priority. As for why you use one over the other I can't answer aside from team synergy, and I definitely would consider it simply because a strong poison type is becoming more welcome with the rise of fairy types.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
If no Earthquake then wouldn't Heatran take it comfortably?
It's more of the fact of coverage. In all honesty, M-Salamence might not even need to run a Dragon Move on certain sets considering how powerful Aerialate is. For example Frustration, Earthquake, Fire Blast, DD covers Heatran, Bronzong, Steel types and after a boost pretty much can just manhandle so much stuff. Basically the post above me too. So many coverage options with having Aerialate now that it's pretty amazing what kind of beast this will be.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello guys :D Let the speculation begin :D All the stats for the current Megas have been revealed!

Index: 799 - Swampert-M Stats: 100/150/110/95/110/70 Type: Water/Ground Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 800 - Sceptile-M Stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145 Type: Grass/Dragon Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 801 - Sableye-M Stats: 50/85/125/85/115/20 Type: Dark/Ghost Catchrate: 45 Stage: 2
Index: 802 - Altaria-M Stats: 75/110/110/110/105/80 Type: Dragon/Fairy Catchrate: 45 Stage: 2
Index: 803 - Gallade-M Stats: 68/165/95/65/115/110 Type: Psychic/Fighting Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 804 - Audino-M Stats: 103/60/126/80/126/50 Type: Normal/Fairy Catchrate: 255 Stage: 2
Index: 805 - Sharpedo Stats: 70/140/70/110/65/105 Type: Water/Dark Catchrate: 60 Stage: 2
Index: 806 - Slowbro-M Stats: 95/75/180/130/80/30 Type: Water/Psychic Catchrate: 75 Stage: 2
Index: 807 - Steelix-M Stats: 75/125/230/55/95/30 Type: Steel/Ground Catchrate: 25 Stage: 2
Index: 808 - Pidgeot-M Stats: 83/80/80/135/80/121 Type: Normal/Flying Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 809 - Glalie-M Stats: 80/120/80/120/80/100 Type: Ice/Ice Catchrate: 75 Stage: 2
Index: 810 - Diancie-M Stats: 50/160/110/160/110/110 Type: Rock/Fairy Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 811 - Metagross-M Stats: 80/145/150/105/110/110 Type: Steel/Psychic Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 812 - Kyogre-P Stats: 100/150/90/180/160/90 Type: Water/Water Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 813 - Groudon-P Stats: 100/180/160/150/90/90 Type: Ground/Fire Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 814 - Rayquaza-M Stats: 105/180/100/180/100/115 Type: Dragon/Flying Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
815-820 are Cosplay Pikachu forms
Index: 821 - Hoopa-M Stats: 80/160/60/170/130/80 Type: Psychic/Dark Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 822 - Camerupt-M Stats: 70/120/100/145/105/20 Type: Fire/Ground Catchrate: 150 Stage: 2
Index: 823 - Lopunny-M Stats: 65/136/94/54/96/135 Type: Normal/Fighting Catchrate: 60 Stage: 2
Index: 824 - Salamence-M Stats: 95/145/130/120/90/120 Type: Dragon/Flying Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 825 - Beedrill-M Stats: 65/150/40/15/80/145 Type: Bug/Poison Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3

And for anyone who is skeptical, I'll have you know that this information was leaked by Kaphotics, the same guy who discovered Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion by hacking X/Y.

Found this data on Mulvone'e video on youtube. If this data has already been posted then it's just extra info for later people~ Take it with a grain of salt (LOL)

Hello guys :D Let the speculation begin :D All the stats for the current Megas have been revealed!

Index: 799 - Swampert-M Stats: 100/150/110/95/110/70 Type: Water/Ground Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 800 - Sceptile-M Stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145 Type: Grass/Dragon Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 801 - Sableye-M Stats: 50/85/125/85/115/20 Type: Dark/Ghost Catchrate: 45 Stage: 2
Index: 802 - Altaria-M Stats: 75/110/110/110/105/80 Type: Dragon/Fairy Catchrate: 45 Stage: 2
Index: 803 - Gallade-M Stats: 68/165/95/65/115/110 Type: Psychic/Fighting Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 804 - Audino-M Stats: 103/60/126/80/126/50 Type: Normal/Fairy Catchrate: 255 Stage: 2
Index: 805 - Sharpedo Stats: 70/140/70/110/65/105 Type: Water/Dark Catchrate: 60 Stage: 2
Index: 806 - Slowbro-M Stats: 95/75/180/130/80/30 Type: Water/Psychic Catchrate: 75 Stage: 2
Index: 807 - Steelix-M Stats: 75/125/230/55/95/30 Type: Steel/Ground Catchrate: 25 Stage: 2
Index: 808 - Pidgeot-M Stats: 83/80/80/135/80/121 Type: Normal/Flying Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 809 - Glalie-M Stats: 80/120/80/120/80/100 Type: Ice/Ice Catchrate: 75 Stage: 2
Index: 810 - Diancie-M Stats: 50/160/110/160/110/110 Type: Rock/Fairy Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 811 - Metagross-M Stats: 80/145/150/105/110/110 Type: Steel/Psychic Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 812 - Kyogre-P Stats: 100/150/90/180/160/90 Type: Water/Water Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 813 - Groudon-P Stats: 100/180/160/150/90/90 Type: Ground/Fire Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 814 - Rayquaza-M Stats: 105/180/100/180/100/115 Type: Dragon/Flying Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
815-820 are Cosplay Pikachu forms
Index: 821 - Hoopa-M Stats: 80/160/60/170/130/80 Type: Psychic/Dark Catchrate: 3 Stage: 3
Index: 822 - Camerupt-M Stats: 70/120/100/145/105/20 Type: Fire/Ground Catchrate: 150 Stage: 2
Index: 823 - Lopunny-M Stats: 65/136/94/54/96/135 Type: Normal/Fighting Catchrate: 60 Stage: 2
Index: 824 - Salamence-M Stats: 95/145/130/120/90/120 Type: Dragon/Flying Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3
Index: 825 - Beedrill-M Stats: 65/150/40/15/80/145 Type: Bug/Poison Catchrate: 45 Stage: 3

And for anyone who is skeptical, I'll have you know that this information was leaked by Kaphotics, the same guy who discovered Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion by hacking X/Y.

Found this data on Mulvone'e video on youtube.
. If this data has already been posted then it's just extra info for later people~
Still no Mega Flygon :'(

Reactions: TLS
Base speed 145? Beedrill doesn't disappoint
Metagross is getting suspected
Salamence is banned

Basically they all get good speed tiers that meet our expectations. This ruins the speed tier system we're used to. Keldeo and such are done for a while in the new meta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)