Pokémon Greninja

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, slapping a Choice item on Greninja takes away its best asset: its versatility with Protean. Greninja can hit almost anything hard with the right moveset, and it's getting a 1.5x bonus on all non-STAB moves. If you put a Choice Band on it, then it's just a regular mon with a choice item.

In my opinion, slapping a Choice item on Greninja takes away its best asset: its versatility with Protean. Greninja can hit almost anything hard with the right moveset, and it's getting a 1.5x bonus on all non-STAB moves. If you put a Choice Band on it, then it's just a regular mon with a choice item.
Wait, who are you talking to? This answer to this proposal was pages ago with the same reasoning.

Scald is only 10 BP weaker than Surf, but burn hax imo is too good not to use Scald for.
There's also that whole freeze thing.

Dark Pule/Extrasensory is an interesting issue, in OU at least because Aegislash is no longer a thing, but you can definitely still encounter it quite frequently on Wifi.

If I had to pick only one of those moves, Extrasensory wins outright because it counters a lot of those fighters that they throw in to try and wreck Greninja, hits Mega Venusaur, [also, compared to Dark Pulse] hits Gengar, as well as also having flinch hax, though Dark Pulse's is better.
Never go scald...The 2hko you miss are way to important for a meager attempt to fish a burn.and it isnt just 10 bp its 120 scald vs 135 surf vs 155 hpump wich then gets amplified by lifeorb factoring your spa stat.

Its a huge diference in base power and damage dealt wich a timid greninja badly needs. Scald is just not worthy... if you are too worried aboutmissing then go surf(wich i still think doesnt suffice), but youll be missing some huge damage output.

And it depends of what your team needs in the extrasensory vs DP debate, since my team handles ferrothorn well andskarm is ohkoed after sr damage by a LO boosted hpump im free to run GK and extrasensory, if you are dead set on using greninja think of what your team needs. There isnt an universal set that you can staple on every team. You gotta think of how your greninja set will work with your team composition.

Thats the charm in pokemon, the originality one can come up with team building, a set to rule them all is just improvable or overcentralizing to the point of no return. Just think of your team needs.

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello guys! I'm here to suggest one of the best Greninja sets I've encountered in a while. It takes on a lot of threats like Zard/Zard X and has won me a lot of games in general. Let me present to you. THE TRUE NINJA!

With this move set, you gain access to two invaluable priority in the form of water shuriken and shadow sneak. Also, with Hydro Pump, you are able to hit hard as well as gaining back your Water Typing. Sub is there to block status from monsters like Rachi, ease your predictions and what not. Try it out guys! You won't regret it~

Never go scald...The 2hko you miss are way to important for a meager attempt to fish a burn.and it isnt just 10 bp its 120 scald vs 135 surf vs 155 hpump wich then gets amplified by lifeorb factoring your spa stat.
While I admit that it isn't an optimal move to run, doesn't Scald screw over AV Azumarill and Mega Gyarados (aka the only things that like to switch into Greninja) ?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
While I admit that it isn't an optimal move to run, doesn't Scald screw over AV Azumarill and Mega Gyarados (aka the only things that like to switch into Greninja) ?
Or you could use Grass Knot, which OHKOs Mega Gyarados 100% of the time and is more likely to 2HKO AV Azumarill after Rocks than Scald will burn on that initial switch (if you don't get the burn then you're fucked).

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 346-408 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 16 HP / 240 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 135-164 (39.1 - 47.5%) -- 39.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Ahem, so we now know Greninja's ORAS tutor moves.

1. TutorSource1: Bounce, Low Kick, Gunk Shot, Ice Punch,
  2. TutorSource2: Icy Wind, Dark Pulse,
  3. TutorSource3: Snore, Role Play, Water Pulse,
  4. TutorSource4: Spite, Snatch, Endure,

I ran a calculation for Gunk Shot against the standard Assault Vest Azumarill

0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 390-460 (113 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Whelp I guess Physical Greninja won't be viable in ORAS, but at least Mixed will. Gunk Shot does 71.8% minimum to physically defensive Clefable without any Attack investment, has a 18% chance to OHKO the 252/160/96 Calm set, and lets you check all sets if they haven't boosted past +1 since Moonblast will leave you with exactly 1 HP at worst after LO Recoil (and that's with a -SpD nature).

4 Atk Life Orb Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 283-338 (71.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Life Orb Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 346-408 (87.8 - 103.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+1 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Greninja: 217-256 (76.1 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Greninja used to lose to Gardevoir 1 on 1. Not anymore!

0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 439-523 (158.4 - 188.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Reactions: zbr

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ahem, so we now know Greninja's ORAS tutor moves.

1. TutorSource1: Bounce, Low Kick, Gunk Shot, Ice Punch,
  2. TutorSource2: Icy Wind, Dark Pulse,
  3. TutorSource3: Snore, Role Play, Water Pulse,
  4. TutorSource4: Spite, Snatch, Endure,

I ran a calculation for Gunk Shot against the standard Assault Vest Azumarill

0 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 390-460 (113 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Cripes. Now 4 attacks Ninja is viable once again.

As long as there isnt scald on your greninja i guess its fine. Poison gunk is a gods gift, Azumarril, gardevoir an clef get hit really hard by this thing on the switch in or ensure a lose lose situation 1 on 1 with the added risk of getting poisoned as well(Unaware cleff was on the rise). Altough GK is needed due to Mslowbro.

4 attacks ninja got sexier.

Even at minus Attack nature:

0- Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 16 HP / 0 Def (Assault Vest set) Azumarill: 351-413 (101.7 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0- Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 257-304 (65.2 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sylveon: 273-322 (69.2 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Mega Gardevoir: 398-468 (143.6 - 168.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0- Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Altaria: 198-234 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You don't even NEED to hamper your defenses when using Gunk Shot. Greninja just gave Fairies a MUCH harder time.

So we can say now that Greninja has no counters? (Thank Arceus strong priority and faster attackers exist)
I immediately thought of Chansey, but you don't want your eviolite knocked off...

0- Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (60 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Chansey: 283-338 (44 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

So we can say now that Greninja has no counters? (Thank Arceus strong priority and faster attackers exist)
Chansey? I'm not sure; I'm on mobile so I can't really do calcs atm. I feel like straight-up physical Ninja will still be relatively ass, but throwing in G-shot may be nice for fairies & co.

Chansey? I'm not sure; I'm on mobile so I can't really do calcs atm. I feel like straight-up physical Ninja will still be relatively ass, but throwing in G-shot may be nice for fairies & co.
Check the calcs I posted on the previous page. You don't even need investment to OHKO/2HKO some of the fairies in OU. Gunk Shot just made Greninja extremely difficult to deal with.

Check the calcs I posted on the previous page. You don't even need investment to OHKO/2HKO some of the fairies in OU. Gunk Shot just made Greninja extremely difficult to deal with.
I'm privately really verklempt* that GF finally made a decent Water-type starter and went p overboard with it. I think M-Slowbro/Alo might be able to deal with Ninja, but I'm not sure.

*So verklempt that I'm schvitzing!

So I made this set:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse/Ice Beam/Extrasensory
Low Kick and Gunk Shot both 2HKO Eviolite Chansey after Stealth Rock with 252 Attack EVs, while Gunk Shot OHKOs Clefable and other Fairies most of the time and Low Kick 2HKOs Ferrothorn. The 4 SAtk EVs are enough to 2HKO all variants of Skarmory with Hydro Pump and other threats that require specific moves to target. Dark Pulse handles Slowbro and other Psychic Pokemon, Ice Beam beats Amoonguss, Mandibuzz, Zapdos (who it can beat with Gunk Shot or Hydro Pump, but Ice Beam makes it guaranteed and much easier), and others, and Extrasensory beats phys. Def Mega Venusaur (Sp. Defensive if 2HKOed by Gunk Shot) and Amoonguss.

Praise Game Freak for Gunk Shot, Low Kick and Ice Punch, but curse them for no Knock Off or Sucker Punch!

Well, what do you think? Solely hypothetical, I'm aware a mixed set is probably better.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick/Power-up Punch
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Sneak/Night Slash/Rock Slide

#MasterOf4MSS #MyNameIsGreninja If Greninja got both Knock Off and Gunk Shot, it could possibly be the next starter to be banned. Protean + access to spikes/tspikes are pretty good. (Tspikes might rise in usage to counteract megaBro. Unless Dark Pulse can reliably 2HKO.)
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 351-413 (89 - 104.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
lol it 2HKO's very easily and OHKO's after rocks, since MegaBro doesn't get a boost on its Sp. Defense. You can even take a few EVs from Sp. Attack and put them in Attack, to make Gunk Shot and Low Kick hit harder, while still hitting MegaBro hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)