ORAS UU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stolen some of OP from Spirit and Soulgazer

Approved by Koko and I

ORAS UU DISCUSSION / SPECULATION

Only discuss about Pokemon that could be potentially coming to UU/are already in UU, no need to discuss how broken Mega Ray or Mega Mence are in here. I will delete and maybe infract bad posts / one liners or posts about Pokemon that aren't UU.

Move Tutor/TMs
: http://pastebin.com/zwG6puPT

Tutor Moves by Tutor: http://pastebin.com/zAtEmXZk

Tutor Moves by Pokemon: http://pastebin.com/8rbu6Fmp

Level Up Moves: http://pastebin.com/16baa7Yk - Demo has altered learnsets for obtainables.

Egg Moves: http://pastebin.com/hzFmncB6

All Megas Stats: http://pastebin.com/3bQwQNhk

As for Megas that might see some usage in UU.

Mega Diancie

Confirmed Ability: Magic Bounce
Stats: 50/160/110/160/110/110

Typing: Rock/Fairy

Mega Sableye

Confirmed Ability: Magic Bounce
Stats: 50/85/125/85/115/20

Typing: Ghost/Dark

Mega Metagross

Confirmed Ability: Tough Claws
Stats: 80/145/150/105/110/110

Type: Steel/Psychic

Mega Swampert

Confirmed Ability: Swift Swim
Stats: 100/150/110/95/110/70

Typing: Water/Ground

Mega Sharpedo

Confirmed ability: Strong Jaws
Stats: 70/140/70/110/65/105

Typing: Water/Dark
Mega Camerupt

Confirmed ability: Sheer Force
Stats: 70/120/100/145/105/20

Typing: Fire/Ground

Mega Altaria

Confirmed ability: Pixilate
Stats: 75/110/110/110/105/80

Typing: Dragon/Fairy

Mega Sceptile

Confirmed ability: Lightning Rod
Stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145

Typing: Grass/Dragon

Mega Lopunny

Confirmed ability: Scrappy
Stats: 65/136/94/54/96/135

Typing: Normal/Fighting
Additional info: Confirmed to have received High Jump Kick as seen in one of the trailers.

Mega Audino

Confirmed ability: Healer
Stats: 103/60/126/80/126/50

Typing: Normal/Fairy

Mega Gallade

Confirmed ability: Inner Focus
Stats: 68/165/95/65/115/110

Typing: Psychic/Fighting

Mega Beedrill

Confirmed ability: Adaptability
Stats: 65/150/40/15/80/145

Typing: Bug/Poison

Mega Pidgeot

Confirmed ability: No Guard
Stats: 83/80/80/135/80/121

Typing: Normal/Flying

Mega Steelix

Confirmed ability: Sand Force
Stats: 75/125/230/55/95/30

Typing: Steel/Ground

Mega Glalie

Confirmed ability: Refrigerate
Stats: 80/120/80/120/80/100

Typing: Ice
So feel free to discuss how the UU metagame is going to be affected by these drops/tutor moves/whatever else you feel like talking about related to ORAS, happy posting! n_n

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
So like, only thing I can think of right now is that Mega Steelix is gonna be a defensive tank, though not quite as efficient as M-Aggron since no Filter so may not be AS common, and Mega Beedrill may creep its way into the depths of UU in eventuality. This is shaping up to give UU a good deal of Megas that can cause for a fun metagame.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Looking like Camerupt will fill a role similar to M Abomasnow atm. It's horrible speed combined with a 4x weakness to a common type really limits its usefulness defensively. However, under Trick Room his typing would be fantastic offensively and could open up some interesting possibilities.

Alright, I'll post my thoughts on some of these.

Mega Sableye; This thing seems annoying as fuck with a set of Calm Mind / Recover / Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam, as it can stay unevolved and get priority CM / Recover, and then mega evolve whenever it needs to to block status, phazing, basically anything thanks to Magic Bounce while boosting its defenses at the same time to make it a pain to kill, especially for more defensively oriented teams. It isn't exactly a slouch offensive either, as 85 in both Attack and Special Attack make it a threat when boosted. The loss of speed when Mega Evolving kinda sucks, but honestly, it'll only need it before it goes Mega.

Mega Swampert; This will pretty much be the best tank in the entire tier; extremely solid defensive stats of 100 / 110 / 110 backed up by a massive 150 Attack will make this thing a force to reckon with, and the Speed increase is pretty cool as well. Rain teams aren't really common in the current UU metagame, but when this thing gets implemented I can probably see them on the rise.

Mega Beedrill; This thing has fucking massive physical offense and Speed, 150 / 145 to be exact, and has the strongest U-turn in the entire game thanks to Adaptability. I can definitely see this thing being a pain in the ass for offensive teams, considering it outspeeds everything besides Mega Aero and Mega Alakazam if it's running a Jolly nature (although since its Speed is already so high I can see it running Adamant, like the aformentioned fast Megas), but I think it might not be /too/ much of a problem for defensive teams, thanks to the fact that they commonly run Mega Aggron, and Mega Steelix soon enough.

Mega-Aero is absolutely bodying so many of these new megas - sceptile, glalie, pidgeot, beedrill, camerupt, lopunny. It's looking like it's going to be really good when ORAS comes out.

Mega-sharpedo looks hideous as hell, but also like it's going to be fun to play with. Get a speed boost from your regular form then mega for tough claws and increased power.

While a lot of these pokemon have really high base stats you need to understand that no item means that they aren't going to be hitting as hard as those stats suggest. Especially if you look at mega-steelix, that 125 attack seems like a lot, but it's only going to be really making an impact under sand, which is just stacking the hell out of your water weakness with hippo.

Mega-Diancie looks fun as hell but ORAS really needs to give it an actual move pool before it can start doing damage with those fun mixed offensive stats.

Camerupt, Audino, and Steelix all look mediocre. Probably won't be seeing much use. Also not sure about Lopunny, Pidgeot, or Gallade.

I don't expect us to be keeping Metagross, Swampert, Diancie, or Altaria very long (byebye Swamp :_:). Altaria wouldn't be unhealthy in the tier or anything I just can't imagine it not getting OU usage by virtue of typing alone.

Gallade is definitely really neat, he's very checkable thanks to things like MAero and Crobat (obv you don't want to switch Crobat into a Zen Headbutt but he can definitely come in on a predicted Swords Dance or just revenge kill it) but he's got enough bulk to set up a Swords Dance on any slower 'mon without Ghost or Flying STAB and then tear through balanced/bulky offense teams.

Pidgeot and Beedrill are both neat options; Pidgeot's SpA is actually much higher than I'd anticipated and Defog gives it some decent utility, plus its bulk isn't the worst (almost identical to Crobat, though the typing isn't exactly spectacular). Beedrill comes in on free turns and clicks U-Turn, chipping off 30-70% from whatever is trying to tank it and providing some crazy momentum. It can't really handle even the weakest of priority moves though.

Steelix is fat and I'm very excited to use it in RU but unless you're pairing it with Hippowdon (which is stacking a lot of weaknesses >.>) I don't think it'll have much use over Aggron here.

Glalie goes Boom and while that's a pretty unique and interesting role for a Mega I don't think trading your mega slot for their least important Pokemon is better than using something that trades the sheer base power for more utility (like Gallade, Ampharos, Beedril, etc)

Audino is a cute idea but I just don't see it making a particularly big splash in this tier. If it kept Regenerator I'd change my mind on that but GF is very much about the Megas having field-presence effects.

I'm underwhelmed by Sharpedo and Sceptile, both of them wish they'd gotten just a little faster and/or a little more powerful on one offensive end rather than having to spread their boosts so thin. Sceptile falls just a tad short of beating base 130's without a speed-boosting nature, but 145 SpA isn't enough to compensate for the low BP of Giga Drain and Dragon Pulse and it can't effectively clean with Leaf Storm. Sharpedo's Defense boost is nice in that it's not so concerned about Sucker Punches and neutral priority anymore, but its speed is low enough that it needs a boosting nature to outspeed scarfers at +1 and its attack power isn't really high enough to compensate for losing Life Orb.

Sableye is pretty much exactly what we were told it would be, and I think the discussion about CM Mega Sableye has been thoroughly exhausted. I don't see it going up to OU anytime soon which I consider a good thing because Sableye has always been one of my favorite things about this tier.

Camerupt is just kinda meh; running the calcs didn't show anything as impressive as I'd hoped.

Lopunny is the one that I'm most excited about out of all of them; Frustration+HJK is so spammable and lets it pull off so much utility in the last 2 slots.

-------

There were quite a few interesting tutor buffs, but a lot of them were only relevant to very-low-tier 'mons. The ones that I'm most excited about for UU are:
-Absol getting access to the Play Rough+Knock Off combination, meaning it's not forced to run coverage moves that are counterproductive to a sweep (Superpower's stat drops/Iron Tail's horrendous accuracy)
-Florges gaining Synthesis; the wish-passing set will probably still be its bread-and-butter but this gives it way more flexibility to run, say, a Calm Mind set.
-Chesnaught's Drain Punch, though a little lacking in power, is just a much nicer STAB than Wood Hammer or Hammer Arm for a defensive 'mon.
-Slurpuff getting Drain Punch could also be relevant but in reality it doesn't really have enough power to break through the relevant Steel types in the tier (MAggron doesn't even get 2hko'd and even offensive Jirachi can still take a hit from full health and kill in return)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega Metagross is definitely going to be a really cool Mega Evolution. Tough Claws boosted Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt will be cool tools at Mega Metagross's disposal, and Mega Meta with its power and high Speed should definitely prove itself a powerful threat in UU. It's very fast and has an excellent defensive typing plus good bulk, so overall it makes a well rounded, powerful offensive threat. It should make an excellent bulky sweeper with Agility or four attacks, and it will definitely be a really cool mon. Tough Claws Grass Knot also seems really fun to mess with Swampert, and can surprise many bulky Waters. Definitely will be a pretty excellent Pokemon.

Mega Pidgeot seems rather promising, as it has No Guard Hurricane to rumble through a lot of slower Pokemon, and being really fast and reasonably powerful should help it a lot. It can be a good revenge killer in UU, using No Guard Hurricane to quickly dismantle offensive teams and slower offensive mons, and has good coverage in general. It still probably won't be as good as the likes of its fellow birds Talonflame and Staraptor seeing as how 135 Special Attack is decently strong, but not outstanding with no LO or Specs, but it will be a very good mon nonetheless.

Mega Sharpedo looks to be pretty amazing. It is a good Speed Boost cleaner atm, and it can Protect to nab a few Speed boosts, and after a few speed boosts, Sharpedo can Mega Evolve to quickly gain a bit more power, and Strong Jaw Crunch and Ice Fang looks to be pretty brutal, plus decently strong Waterfalls should make it a deadly cleaner. Having good Speed after a boost and power will make it an even better Sharpedo, and its bulk is not as paper thin as normal Sharpedo which helps a bit (though it's still frail).

Mega Camerupt looks to be a lot like Mega Abomasnow, and it may be a pretty solid mon in UU. It has good power to use Fire Blast and Earth Power, boosted by Sheer Force, which will make it a strong, bulky wallbreaker. It has fine bulk to use and a decent typing to take hits and retaliate back hard. It could run a Substitute+3 Attacks set with Fire Blast, Earth Power, and I guess Rock Slide or something to pack a punch with. It could also run Wisp or something, and it would be fun on Trick Room too. I don't think it will be broken though because its Speed cripples it pretty insanely, but it looks to be pretty decent overall.

Mega Glalie looks to be pretty decent as an offensive Spiker, kind of like Greninja and Scolipede. It could force switches, set up Spikes as it forces switches, and start throwing around Returns and Earthquakes along the way to pack a punch and put holes into the team while laying down Spikes to weaken every switch. It could also explode with Explosion, and its Refrigerate Explosion is so ridiculously powerful it almost 2HKOes Doublade. Just wow. Its Refrigerate Return could prove useful to smack Haxorus, Hydreigon, and Goodra hard, making it a nice Dragon answer, and it could also use Earthquake to hit opposing Entei and Darmanitan (plus Chandelure). It'll be a decent mon overall, too bad it's kind of easy to revenge kill.

Just a few thoughts for now.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mega Camerupt may not see much usage in UU because of its god awful Speed, but that thing could have some seriously cool power.

Mega Diancie will be interesting to use. I think it could be a pretty cool Rock Polish sweeper with Moonblast / Earth Power / Diamond Storm, but I'm not sure how much it would work out in practice. It may also be a pretty chill offensive Stealth Rock setter because of Magic Bounce / good Speed / good offenses / good bulk. It's truly a shame it doesn't get Power Gem, however.

Mega Sableye: I have no idea what to make of this. I feel like it will be an awesome anti-suicide lead because of Magic Bounce and an immunity to Explosion (RIP Azelf). If only this thing had a hazard of its own lol. I also think it will make a good stallbreaker because it doesn't need to rely on Taunt to avoid status and has Taunt / Knock Off / Will-O-Wisp / Recover. Same moveset, same purpose, different execution imo.

Prepare your ban hammer for Metagross. Those stats are simply incredible and Tough Claws doesn't take any shit. It could make a cool sweeper or Stealth Rock setter because it's strong / good speed / good bulk. Honestly, I wish Psychic-types were more common in UU just to see how hardcore they would die to it (because Pursuit and resistances).

I'm so happy Swampert got a mevo n_n It may actually make rain teams more popular in UU because 150 Attack with STAB Waterfall and Earthquake will be a ton of fun. Offense aside, 100 / 110 / 110 bulk is pretty damn good, so even a bulkier set could be of good use.

Mega Sharpedo will be basically normal Sharpedo on steroids. Just Protect the first turn (or attack on a switch and Protect for two boosts) and prepare to clean up teams. Crunch will have some pretty crazy power because of Strong Jaw AND Sharpedo won't need to run Ice Beam because Strong Jaw Ice Fang is stronger and uses its higher Attack stat. Sadly, you only have one chance to sweep because of the loss of Speed Boost.

Mega Altaria will be a nifty DDancer with Dragon Dance / Return / Earthquake / [Roost / Fire Blast]. If only it had a bit more Attack or Speed, it would be awesome. It will also make a cool cleric with Hyper Voice / Heal Bell / Roost / Filler and a nice set of resistances :)

I have no idea what to make of Mega Lopunny aside from High Jump Kick / Return / Healing Wish / Ice Punch.

WHY MEGA AUDINO THEY TOOK YOUR ONE REDEEMING QUALITY AWAY AND MADE YOU BADISH. Well, at least you take jack from Knock Off :/

Mega Gallade could be cool. I wish they gave it a better ability but it has pretty cool stats and moves. An offensive SD set with Close Combat / Knock Off / Filler (Ice Punch / Zen Headbutt / Psycho Cut) will probably be its best set. Thank god for the Defense boost because it was so frail physically it made me very sad. I'm excited to use this guy.

Beedrill will be the greatest special attacker known to man actually pretty cool. I mean, 145 Speed and 150 Attack is pretty damn awesome, and if you add the Adaptability boost, it will be just... awesome... Sadly, it has really crappy Speed on the first turn so it may be hard to set up, but it will be well worth it. A Swords Dance set or a U-turn spammer will probably be its best set.

Sceptile is fast, strong, and fun for the whole family. Either an all-out-attacker will [Giga Drain / Leaf Storm] / Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast / Filler or an SD set will be cool to use.

CAN YOU SPELL OFFENSIVE DEFOG??? Honestly, Pidgeot can run Hurricane / Heat Wave / Defog / Whatever your little heart desires and just be awesome. I'm excited to use this thing.

Mega Steelix is basically a worse Aggron imo. All it really has is STAB Earthquake, which doesn't really justify its use over Aggron.

Glalie: Return / Earthquake / Spikes / Boom. It's going to play sort of like Greninja in OU in the fact that it doesn't function as a suicide lead, but can set up Spikes to force them out and make them easier pickings late-game.

On another note Play Rough / Knock Off Absol is freed :) and Mega Aerodactyl will basically defecate all over the likes of the metagame.

So yeah stuff

I don't expect us to be keeping Metagross, Swampert, Diancie, or Altaria very long (byebye Swamp :_:). Altaria wouldn't be unhealthy in the tier or anything I just can't imagine it not getting OU usage by virtue of typing alone.

Gallade is definitely really neat, he's very checkable thanks to things like MAero and Crobat (obv you don't want to switch Crobat into a Zen Headbutt but he can definitely come in on a predicted Swords Dance or just revenge kill it) but he's got enough bulk to set up a Swords Dance on any slower 'mon without Ghost or Flying STAB and then tear through balanced/bulky offense teams.

Pidgeot and Beedrill are both neat options; Pidgeot's SpA is actually much higher than I'd anticipated and Defog gives it some decent utility, plus its bulk isn't the worst (almost identical to Crobat, though the typing isn't exactly spectacular). Beedrill comes in on free turns and clicks U-Turn, chipping off 30-70% from whatever is trying to tank it and providing some crazy momentum. It can't really handle even the weakest of priority moves though.

Steelix is fat and I'm very excited to use it in RU but unless you're pairing it with Hippowdon (which is stacking a lot of weaknesses >.>) I don't think it'll have much use over Aggron here.

Glalie goes Boom and while that's a pretty unique and interesting role for a Mega I don't think trading your mega slot for their least important Pokemon is better than using something that trades the sheer base power for more utility (like Gallade, Ampharos, Beedril, etc)

Audino is a cute idea but I just don't see it making a particularly big splash in this tier. If it kept Regenerator I'd change my mind on that but GF is very much about the Megas having field-presence effects.

I'm underwhelmed by Sharpedo and Sceptile, both of them wish they'd gotten just a little faster and/or a little more powerful on one offensive end rather than having to spread their boosts so thin. Sceptile falls just a tad short of beating base 130's without a speed-boosting nature, but 145 SpA isn't enough to compensate for the low BP of Giga Drain and Dragon Pulse and it can't effectively clean with Leaf Storm. Sharpedo's Defense boost is nice in that it's not so concerned about Sucker Punches and neutral priority anymore, but its speed is low enough that it needs a boosting nature to outspeed scarfers at +1 and its attack power isn't really high enough to compensate for losing Life Orb.

Sableye is pretty much exactly what we were told it would be, and I think the discussion about CM Mega Sableye has been thoroughly exhausted. I don't see it going up to OU anytime soon which I consider a good thing because Sableye has always been one of my favorite things about this tier.

Camerupt is just kinda meh; running the calcs didn't show anything as impressive as I'd hoped.

Lopunny is the one that I'm most excited about out of all of them; Frustration+HJK is so spammable and lets it pull off so much utility in the last 2 slots.

-------

There were quite a few interesting tutor buffs, but a lot of them were only relevant to very-low-tier 'mons. The ones that I'm most excited about for UU are:
-Absol getting access to the Play Rough+Knock Off combination, meaning it's not forced to run coverage moves that are counterproductive to a sweep (Superpower's stat drops/Iron Tail's horrendous accuracy)
-Florges gaining Synthesis; the wish-passing set will probably still be its bread-and-butter but this gives it way more flexibility to run, say, a Calm Mind set.
-Chesnaught's Drain Punch, though a little lacking in power, is just a much nicer STAB than Wood Hammer or Hammer Arm for a defensive 'mon.
-Slurpuff getting Drain Punch could also be relevant but in reality it doesn't really have enough power to break through the relevant Steel types in the tier (MAggron doesn't even get 2hko'd and even offensive Jirachi can still take a hit from full health and kill in return)
With a neutral speed nature mega sceptile out speeds crobat with only 200 ev in speed.

Yeah, Mega Metagross is gone. The only thing that normally stood in its way--bulky waters--get the shit slapped out of them by Tough Claws Grass Knot.

Assertingfire3 You're looking at the standard Crobat set, which speed creeps Alakazam. Actual 252+ Crobat hits 394, Modest 252 Mega Sceptile is only 389.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see the new Mega-Lopunny and get reminded of the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Holy cow that shit looks scary, and seems to be one of the least to be discussed. With 2 STABs with Base Powers over 100 and paired with Scrappy makes them unresisted by ANY type combination. This is further complimented by 136 Atk and 135 Spe that makes me want to send it the hell out of here plz.

Mega Altaria, Metagross and Swampert I can see being gobbled up by OU and they would otherwise be major tier threats in UU. Mega-Metagross will break the tier with great mixed attacking stats, bulk and speed with a boosting ability. M-Altaria gives a typ combination that I'd really like to use down here though I feel OU will want it. M-Swampert will be nice in UU, as losing Leftovers would leave a mark on how survivable it is. Be cool to use a Curse SleepTalk set for a Physical CroCune sorta thing

Mega Sableye, Beedrill, Pidgeot and maybe even Glalie are the ones that I can see having a long lasting effect on UU, with Mega-Gallade also right up there but I'm struggling to get past its almost useles bloody ability. Nonetheless these guys great new base stats will help wreck havoc.

Not sure where Mega-Diancie will go. Looks very strong though.

And lastly, Mega-Sceptile, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Steelix and Audino all look to be a bit shabby. Mega-Sceptile didn't get anything too amazing, same with Sharpedo, Camerupt is still slow af and a major weakness to Water limits its potential, Steelix is pretty much just like M-Aggron though could be cool when paired with Hippo and Audino lost Leftovers recovery when compared to other Fairies and access to Regenerator (le cry).

EDIT: Oh and some of the new mover tutor moves are nice for quite a lot of Pokemon, looking particularly at Malamar who receives Knock Off and Pangoro who receives Knock Off, Drain Punch, Focus Punch and Elemental punches, giving it ways to finally abuse its ability Iron Fist and a much wider movepool that could give it a bit of a niche now.

Last edited:
Ok guys. Gallade is going to be unstoppable. Gallades insane Attack and Speed stats and its shit ability as well as it's already above average bulk will make it a terrifying SD/Bulk Up Sweeper. Not to mention the stupendous amounts of coverage moves this thing gets. Wanna kill Swampert, run Leaf Blade. Wanna kill Gligar, run Ice Punch. His dual STABs are already great, one of which can give you recovery (drain punch) and one that can get those gay flinches. It's ability to run Knock Off also works on it, for hitting bulky Psychic Types that eat up his dual STABs. Gallade ALSO has access to Priority in Shadow Sneak.

TAKES GIANT BREATH

As far as the other megas go, Beedrill looks like it could be stupidly threatening, running Swords Dance/XScizzor/Poison Jab/Knock Off. It's broken 145 speed stat lets it outspeed the entire unboosted meta, and even tie with Mega Sceptile. Mega Lopunny could make a fun baton pass set or just a "click hjk" set. I can't decide which one to use yet. Glalie looks bad aside from Spikes/Taunt/BlowTheFuckUp, which also looks mediocre tbh. Mega Pert will be banned, easy. thanks a ton gobo

I believe most of the megas will unfortunately get banned to the BL or go to OU by usage. I really hope for Gallade to stay because bulk up will destroy the meta. Besides Gallade, i hope we keep Diancie and i hope it gets Power Gem/Play Rough/Earthquake. It already got quite a bit of help in getting Earth Power from the move tutors.

I really hope to see Pidgeot get more egg moves and i know its far out there, but i saw someone post a Mega Pidgeot set in the UU room today that would be very fun to use if it got Solarbeam. Sunny Day/Hurricane/heat wave/solarbeam as very few (if any) resist fire,grass, flying that are prevalent in UU.

Diancie... I dunno the OU environment will likely be rather weather centric with rain making a resurgence so I find it will definitely be struggling there. That said in UU it can essentially run Moonblast + Earth power and we already know that has good coverage it does lack its rock stab, so if you want to use Diamond storm you'll need to run naive.

However, Blissey does stop cold almost all special attackers at the moment, so physical oriented set would have been more welcome IMO (I guess naive mix with Atk investment and Diamond storm could help her to muscle past Blissey). I'd much rather run mixed than CM/Rock Polish since getting past Blissey is an important benchmark, notice many SpA mons are need to run mixed when they can.

Though I am honestly leaning a bit more on Diancie likely not staying, but hey I would love to see this overturned. There is still hope with new potential drop downs at least, since I am sure we're bound to have some OU mons drop with the resurgence of weather.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does anyone else see the new Mega-Lopunny and get reminded of the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Holy cow that shit looks scary, and seems to be one of the least to be discussed. With 2 STABs with Base Powers over 100 and paired with Scrappy makes them unresisted by ANY type combination. This is further complimented by 136 Atk and 135 Spe that makes me want to send it the hell out of here plz.

Mega Altaria, Metagross and Swampert I can see being gobbled up by OU and they would otherwise be major tier threats in UU. Mega-Metagross will break the tier with great mixed attacking stats, bulk and speed with a boosting ability. M-Altaria gives a typ combination that I'd really like to use down here though I feel OU will want it. M-Swampert will be nice in UU, as losing Leftovers would leave a mark on how survivable it is. Be cool to use a Curse SleepTalk set for a Physical CroCune sorta thing

Mega Sableye, Beedrill, Pidgeot and maybe even Glalie are the ones that I can see having a long lasting effect on UU, with Mega-Gallade also right up there but I'm struggling to get past its almost useles bloody ability. Nonetheless these guys great new base stats will help wreck havoc.

And lastly, Mega-Sceptile, Sharpedo, Camerupt, Steelix and Audino all look to be a bit shabby. Mega-Sceptile didn't get anything too amazing, same with Sharpedo, Camerupt is still slow af and a major weakness to Water limits its potential, Steelix is pretty much just like M-Aggron though could be cool when paired with Hippo and Audino lost Leftovers recovery when compared to other Fairies and access to Regenerator (le cry).

EDIT: Oh and some of the new mover tutor moves are nice for quite a lot of Pokemon, looking particularly at Malamar who receives Knock Off and Pangoro who receives Knock Off, Drain Punch, Focus Punch and Elemental punches, giving it ways to finally abuse its ability Iron Fist and a much wider movepool that could give it a bit of a niche now.
I am not quite sure if Lopunny would be /that/ broken, friend. 136 attack without an item/ability boost is actually rather weak, even if remedied by high powered STABs, Return still isn't hitting anything super effectively. Physical walls like Gligar and Hippo will probly still wall it. Also, after all we are keeping Mega Zam here as well.

I do like how it can get away with 2-move coverage and afford to run utility moves like Baton Pass, Heal Bell or even Healing Wish. Definitely a threat to look out for.

I am not quite sure if Lopunny would be /that/ broken, friend. 136 attack without an item/ability boost is actually rather weak, even if remedied by high powered STABs, Return still isn't hitting anything super effectively. Physical walls like Gligar and Hippo will probly still wall it. Also, after all we are keeping Mega Zam here as well.

I do like how it can get away with 2-move coverage and afford to run utility moves like Baton Pass, Heal Bell or even Healing Wish. Definitely a threat to look out for.
Can't say Gligar is all too good an answer since Lop can carry ice punch or catch on a roost and use encore, either way Lop has tools to play around. Moreover, 65/94/96 defenses are not bad. It may not have an item but the increased bulk/power/speed is big boon for it.

The problem is that it has such well rounded stats and a vast movepool offensively and support that just keeps you guessing, all with such minimal effort on the side of the user. It is certainly similar to top tiers in the viability ranking by having so many tricks up its sleeve.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok I am going to give my opinions on how these Megas will work in UU (even if they will be banned). I will try to include the tutor moves they also have gotten if they are notable.

Mega Diancie: I love how they give Mega Diancie a massive Speed Boost and decent mixed offensive stats. It also got Earth Power from the ORAS tutors, which allows it to have perfect coverage with Moonblast and Earth Power in UU, although it still needs a way around Blissey. This is where its signature move, Diamond Storm, comes in. With a bit of investment, Mega Diancie can 2HKO Blissey with Diamond Storm after Stealth Rock damage, allowing her to hit hard with the special coverage she has. With Rock Polish as well, Mega Diancie has the potential to outspeed the whole metagame, even faster Scarfers, allowing her to sweep, but with no move to boost her Special Attack (except for Calm Mind) she is hard pressed to either outspeed everything or be a tad more defensive and boost with CM.

Mega Sableye: I love Sableye in UU. Prankster is what has made it so good. Although it left that ability behind, Magic Bounce is a great ability that can allow Sableye to sweep without a fear of status. Best way to use Mega Sableye is to set up before it Megas to get the priority recovery and boosts, then Mega to hit hard with Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam. Overall, I can see this being one of those "ruse Megas" as regular Sableye is amazing and Mega Sableye is more of a set up sweeper than an utility mon.

Mega Metagross: This dude. This guy. He is gonna be a beast when his Mega is released. The fact that regular Metagross has always had a hard time with Bulky Waters (and Forretress) is eliminated with the new ability, Tough Claws, coupled with Grass Knot. Now most Bulky Waters, with a little bit of investment, can be overpowered by Grass Knot, allowing Megagross to continue a sweep. It also gets Agility, allowing it outspeed the whole metagame. Megagross also has amazing 80/150/110 bulk, allowing it to tank even SE hits. Overall, have fun with Megagross as much as you can in UU because about a month into ORAS, Metagrossite will be banned from UU, lol.

Mega Swampert: Swampert is already an amazing physical tank in UU. Mega Swampert gives him more bulk (100/90/90 ---> 100/110/110) and a huge boost in Atk (from base 110 to base 150). This allow Mega Swampert to not only tank a lot of hits as it only has one weakness, albeit a 4x weakness, but also hit back hard with STAB Waterfall and Earthquake. I can see us losing Swampert however as Drizzle is allowed in OU and OU is more weather centric and that means Mega Swampert can be a decent bulky, physical Swift Swimmer and since Showdown doesn't know how to separate stones from Pokemon (because they considered it a set but w/e), enjoy the Monster while you can.

Mega Sharpedo: Mega Shark didn't give the shark the other half of his body :pirate:. Anyways, I believe Tiger Shark is gonna be a great addition in UU, however it is gonna be like Mega Sableye where it is gonna boost before it Megas. This is because Speed Boost is on the reg Shark and if you nab a couple Speed Boosts, then you can power through the opposition with Strong Jaw-boosted STAB Crunch, Waterfall, and Strong Jaw-boosted Ice Fang. However, I believe that Mega Shark should've had a bigger boost to its base Speed and Attack, although I like the boost to its defenses to survive some priority moves, which allows Mega Shark to continue its sweep.

Mega Camerupt: I love this guy. Sadly his lack of Speed coupled with 2 weaknesses that are common in UU (Water and Ground) means this guy is relegated to Trick Room teams. Sheer Force is decent as it boosts all of its commonly ran STAB moves, such as Fire Blast and Earth Power. However, Mega Camerupt gets Rock Polish so it can be possible to work outside of TR. Overall this guy is gonna be only useful on TR imo but it is gonna hit super hard Sheer Force-boosted STABs with base 145 Special Attack.

Mega Altaria: This thing is gonna be OU for sure (mainly because of new toy syndrome as it has a new fresh typing) but when this thing settles into UU, it is gonna be a great addition to the UU Megas. It can easily go both physical or special as it has access to decent "Fairy" STABs on both sides of the spectrum in Return/Frustration and Hyper Voice. The physical set can consist of DD, Return/Frustration, EQ, Roost/Dragon Claw/Filler while the special set can consist of Hyper Voice, Draco Meteor, Roost, Filler. Overall the physical set is gonna be better as Mega Altaria has a way to boost its stats, however it is still gonna be outsped by common UU Scarfers at +1, which means it needs to nab 2 boosts before it can truly sweep.

Mega Sceptile: This thing is gonna be a beast in UU. Sadly, Mega Amphy's Mold Breaker breaks through Lightningrod otherwise Sceptile could check Mega Amphy by not allowing it to Volt Switch without being a Ground type. However, I can see an SD set being the main set as the special STABs that Sceptile has access to are not high powered enough (Giga Drain, Dragon Pulse) with its lackluster, for a Mega, base 145 Special Attack. Base 145 Speed means it is also speed tying with Mega Beedrill and being outsped by Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl in UU. The SD set has a plethora of moves to use (EQ, Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, Drain Punch, and so on) and so I can see this being the main set although Sceptile has better base SpA than Atk.

Mega Lopunny: This thing is gonna be a popular Mega (like Mega Blastoise is currently). The reason being is due to its ability, it can run its STAB moves for unresisted coverage, leaving the last two moveslots to be used for utility moves such as Encore, Healing Wish, and so on. This thing has a nice Speed stat, outspeeding Crobat and normal Aerodactyl and a nice Attack stat to hit things hard enough with High Jump Kick and Return/Frustration.

Mega Audino: This Mega is laughable in UU as it lost its only niche it has currently, which is a Regen wall. Even being retyped to Normal/Fairy still doesn't save it from the fact that it got Healer, one of the most worthless singles abilities in Pokemon history. This thing will be lucky to make it out of NU and that is all I have to say.

Mega Gallade: This guy had so much potential. But Trollfreak struck again by giving Gallade Inner Focus, which has niche advantages such as not being Fake Out spammed, but other than that it has no real use. Luckily for Gallade, it has 2 set up moves it can easily abuse (SD and Bulk Up) and a decent movepool to abuse with it (Zen Headbutt, Close Combat, Drain Punch, Elemental Punches, and so on). Mega Gallade is gonna be decent in UU, but I can see it pass over for "better" Megas as it didn't get a great ability and Justified is arguably a great ability for it to have kept as a Mega, but sadly can only be abused as a reg Gallade.

Mega Beedrill: This thing. Who would've thought that this would get a Mega? I bet no one called this one. Anyways this thing is frail as fuck, but it is a great offensive Mega and momentum grabber as its STAB U-turn is boosted by Adaptability backed by base 150 Attack. This thing could possibly end up being banned, mainly due to its movepool, although small, which has SD, Knock Off, Drill Run, Poison Jab, U-turn, and X-Scissor. This thing will either be a great set up sweeper (if it can force switches) or it'll be a fast, hard-hitting U-turner with its base 145 Speed.

Mega Pidgeot: Unfortunately, Pidgeot has gotten nothing from the tutors. Luckily for Pidgeot though, it already learns Hurricane and Heat Wave which is great coverage in UU. Along with the fact it gets Defog, Mega Pidgeot can easily be a great offensive Defogger, hitting hard with those two moves. However, Rock- types completely wall Mega Pidgeot so it can run U-turn to switch out or have team support to get rid of them.

Mega Steelix: This thing isn't gonna be that prominent in UU for two reasons: Mega Aggron and the lack of a really good ability. STAB EQ and better Special Defense doesn't make up for the fact that it doesn't have Filter and that for it to work under sand it has to compound weaknesses with Hippowdon. Sand Force can boosts its STAB moves, but only under sand which is hard to pull off whenever the only auto setter of sand shares a type with Mega Steelix.

Mega Glalie: Sadly, Froslass would do the job this Mega could do better, which is setting down Spikes. However, if you want to use this Mega, it does get STAB Refrigerate Explosion as a faux way to spinblock. A standard set I can see being is Spikes, Taunt, Explosion, Filler. As Glalie has no set up moves, it is gonna be hard pressed for a Mega slot in UU since although it has Refrigerate, it isn't as powerful as many of the Megas we already have or are going to get.

Last edited:
With so many Megas, it would rather difficult to see which ones would be healthy in the UU Metagame:
As of right now, Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie and Mega Altaria seem to be unhealthy.

Mega Pidgeot
I love this thing. Just spamming all those Hurricanes and Heat Waves seem like a lot of fun. But with that 100 % hitting Stone Edge, it seems like Aerodactyl would be the main threat for this thing.

Mega Sceptile
I can see this thing as a pretty neat mixed attacker. Sadly, not really a safe switch-in to those annoying bulky waters. But it is a dragon and we know those are pretty OP, I guess.

Mega Swampert
I honestly don't know what to think about Mega Swampert. It is very bulky, it has great attack...Could it run a potencial Stealth Rock set like the early Mega T-Tars or a Rain Dance-Set like last gen Seismetoad? Passive recovery seems like an issue at first grance.

Mega Sableye
The most annoying thing we will face. Priority in normal form and bouncing back status with mega form. A lot of situations will happen where people will wonder, when is it going to turn mega?
And with priority mechanics, Pranskter works the turn when it mega evoltes as well.

Mega Sharpedo
Seems like a solid canidate for UU. Sharpedo lacked boosting moves for its offense and not it gets the boost from Mega and Huge Jaws for his Crunch and I think that is a fair trade off for not having Life Orb.
And the mixed set might be still as viable as last generation.
And Again, a mega that will stay a few turns normal before going mega (gotta have dat speed boost).

Mega Camerupt
I don't see this thing viable at all. If it just kept Solid Rock, than it could be a real threat for teams. At the moment I can only see it as a trick room attacker and it is not like we have not a lot of those.

Mega Glalie
When I look at Glalie, I see Kyurem. I don't know if the new ability gives its move that significant of a boost for being even a decent UU mon (not trying to say that Kyurem is bad).

Are those stats confirmed or are guesses???

I think Altaria will be going up to OU at the least since it is a Char XY counter with that Dragon/Faity typing. I think Glalie has potential to be top UU threats. Refrigerate boosted Explosions will tear holes in teams. It can act as a suicide spiker bomber set that ghosts cant block to absorb the explosion. That 30% boost + STAB off a base 250 attack and 120 atk is no joke...

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chandelure: 272-321 (104.2 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Refrigerate burned Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 315-372 (103.6 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 164-193 (40.5 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 3 layers of Spikes and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 250-295 (73.3 - 86.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan: 404-476 (115 - 135.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 120 HP / 4 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 1142-1346 (345 - 406.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 214-252 (61.3 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The only mons that are safe are steel types like Metagross, Mega Aggron and physically defensive bulky waters like Suicune. But, it can setup hazards bringing those close %s in.But, keep in mind that it does have access to Earthquake, Crunch, Dark Pulse, Bulldoze and Icy Wind, which can really give it coverage while acting as a great team supporter.

Oh and Beedrill will eat the tier alive (did i really just say that?) With that 150/145 stats and Adaptability. Poison Jab, X scissor and Bulldoze and SD let it tear through the tier easily. Heck, it can even run Fell Stinger now, which is a 90 bp move now with STaB.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Drain Punch on Chesnaught and Synthesis on Florges are just 2 minor changes but both are gonna help both pokemon really much. Obvious Mega Altaria and Mega Metagross won't be long in UU but we can still play with Mega-Sableye, Mega-Gallade and Mega-Lopunny and more new mega's. Mega Swampert will probably get more usage in OU because of the Drizzle there, but I still think it's too good even without the rain support.

I was waiting for this thread :)

Mega Sharpedo seems to be a potent sweeper in the metagame. If it can get a +1 speed boost before m evolution, it will outspeed everything and will slimy destroy with STAB waterfalls and STAB Strong Jaw boosted Crunches. Mega sceptile also has amazing speed, while huge special attack. I could see a very effective mixed set, allowing it to deal good damage on common special walls aka pink blobs.

I think volbeat is on the money with mega Gallade and I'm going to call it now that mega-Gallade will go to BL if OU doesn't give it enough usage.

Now I'm aware there are several decent checks to it (fast flying types, CS ghosts), but the problem lies in getting them in safely unless they are named Sableye (or it's mega forme). SubBU with STAB's alone can really do some damage given the difficulty of psychics at present (jirachi excluded), ever since mew and slowbro left, and with enough bulk up's, even infiltrators like CB crobat start running into difficulty. An all out attacker set gets perfect coverage in STAB's + Knock off while CC off base 165 attack is insane. The psychic coverage really helps as despite the low base power, it really helps in cleaving through poison types who could absorb CC and knock off. Last move picks off the few mons not ripped apart by the first 3 moves.

Really all mega-gallade needs is something that can deal with crobat and sableye in one (Moonblast Rachi due for the servers from the japanese event anytime soon?) and you can wall break with tremendous ease.

Actually, scratch that, even crobat is shaky due to 3 move coverage + an incredible support movepool. WoW, Memento, Screens, T-wave, tons more options...yeah, I'm sticking by my comment mega-Gallade for BL. Maybe not a quick ban, but I'm pretty sure it'll end up BL sooner or later. Sableye (and its mega) is the only true safe switch in.

Edit: Some more thoughts...

While it can be dealt with, I'm not hugely keen on mega-diancie either. Who at gamefreak thought it was a good idea to make a sweeper that was immune to phazing, taunt/encore locks, AND dragon tail while giving it the ability to wipe out any viable circle throw user with STAB moonblast? I know mons like amoongus exist, and specially defensive steels can keep it at bay, but the giant middle finger M-diance gives to less offensive playstyles sits poorly with me. M-Sableye isn't much better in this regard, although at least less aggressive playstyles can benefit from it too.

Mega-Beedrill is cool, but this mega is really hurt by the one mega per team rule. It would really love M-blastoise clearing hazards, or the slow pivotal volt switch of mega-ampharos. All other benefits and faults have been discussed enough, or are obvious enough.

If mega-metagross does stay, another major upside to it would be the ability to check both NP and SD lucario in one, though you need to be mega-evo'd first to do this.

Mega Swampert (if it stays) has some serious potential with a RD + 3 Attacks set. weaken the bulkier grass types a bit into ice punch range, while Healing wish shaymin or Offensive support whimsicott partner incredibly well with Mega-Swampert to break down bulky waters, while giving set up opportunities, taking some advantage of its rain, or allowing it to come back from near dead and sweep again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)