Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega venusaur is definitely not a counter. It can't switch in. 252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I was taking into account the physically defensive 252 HP/252 Defence variant. Or is that not viable anymore...? Haven't really touched M-Venu in a while.

How well would wash rotom counter Mega swampert?

Edit: I mean, it's immune to ground, resists water, has will-o-wisp, and is overall bulky.

Last edited:
It is viable. Sorry that was my bad, I just automatically calc'd the offensive version. You're right, physically defensive mega venusaur is a hard counter as EQ does 40% max and an uninvested giga drain OHKO's.

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was taking into account the physically defensive 252 HP/252 Defence variant. Or is that not viable anymore...? Haven't really touched M-Venu in a while.
Smogon's standard Defensive Mega Venusaur set runs 252 HP/240+ Def/16 Spe. So no, it's definitely still viable. However, you have to keep in mind that even the defensive set will take a good chunk from EQ.

252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 126-148 (34.6 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

After Mega-Venusaur is worn down, which wouldn't be too much of a big deal to do, especially with all the defensive pressure on it to check things.

How well would wash rotom counter Mega swampert?
Well... normal Rotom-W sets would likely just burn Swampert since MPert can't really do much against it, immune to Ground and resists Water and coverage move likely won't cut it since most are physically defensive. Aside that if Rotom-W really wants to take special effort to deal with Pert it'd have to run HP Grass but I think burning MPert should prove adequate, smarter Pert users would figure they can't really touch a Rotom-W unless in really bad health and proceed to just switch out than risk a burn.

Personally, I don't think Mega Swampert is much of a threat. Consider this calc:

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 146-173 (32.8 - 38.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 136-162 (30.6 - 36.4%) -- 58.2% chance to 3HKO

In terms of raw power, Kabutops is better. TBH using Mega Swampert on rain is a waste of a mega that could be better spent on something like Mega Pinsir or another threatening mon. Mega Swampert just doesn't have a niche because, indeed it is bulkier, but all defensive reasoning is thrown away on a rain team.

%Srn: UBERPYRO rain is best offensively
%Srn: you throw out all defensive reasoning
%Srn: and you just break teams apart

So, Mega Swampert isn't really something to look out for. Normal rain sweepers like Kabutops and Kingdra fulfill this roll more effectively and without occupying the mega slot.

Well... normal Rotom-W sets would likely just burn Swampert since MPert can't really do much against it, immune to Ground and resists Water and coverage move likely won't cut it since most are physically defensive. Aside that if Rotom-W really wants to take special effort to deal with Pert it'd have to run HP Grass but I think burning MPert should prove adequate, smarter Pert users would figure they can't really touch a Rotom-W unless in really bad health and proceed to just switch out than risk a burn.
HP grass, or Mow Rotom might see an increase in usage: A STAB that Swampert is 4x weak to, resistance to swampert's STAB(and immunity), and also has will-o-wisp.

^posts like uberpyro's pain me

just run them side by side, its how omastar+kingdra works, its how kabutops+mega gyara works, and its how kabutops+pert will work
Some people like to use Mega Manectric as a mega on a rain team because of spammable thunder though. And I have Ampharos as my mega on my rain team.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's really hard to think of a hard counter for Offensive Rain Swampert other than Ferrothorn, Celebi and Mega Venusaur. Having done some calcs, I've found that those viable in OU right now are either too passive to do anything back - e.g. Skarmory - die eventually ANYWAY and can't do much back - e.g. Mega Aggron - or just really aren't that relevant - e.g. Porygon2.

Edit: Wait, Celebi gets the 2HKO from Ice Punch after Stealth Rock. Not the best counter.
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 135-159 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 180-212 (51.1 - 60.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 66.4% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 126-148 (34.6 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 200-236 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Celebi: 148-176 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Ferrothorn can be 2HKOed without any prediction with only 10-15% previous damage, Mega Venusaur can only check Mega Swampert if it's physically defensive and even then it can't check it for a long time because rain cuts down its recovery, meaning it's 2HKOed by Earthquake the second time it switches in, assuming it switched into Earthquake with SR up and used Synthesis with rain up the first time it came in, and Celebi can only counter if it's physically defensive.

Some good counters to Mega Swampert are Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, Rotom-W, defensive Gyarados, physically defensive Celebi, Alomomola, Chesnaught, and Tangrowth. However, Ice Beam prevents Chesnaught and Tangrowth from straight up countering Mega Swampert, though they remain excellent checks, and Power Up Punch lets Mega Swampert 2HKO Almomola and Slowbro, whose best chance is to burn with Scald, otherwise they are 2HKOed by +1 Earthquake. Waterfall, Earthquake, Ice Punch, and Low Kick / Power Up Punch / Stealth Rock is looking to be the best set for Mega Swampert, with very few safe switch-ins, especially if you go with Power Up Punch.

HP grass, or Mow Rotom might see an increase in usage: A STAB that Swampert is 4x weak to, resistance to swampert's STAB(and immunity), and also has will-o-wisp.
Nah it'd leave you vulnerable to predicted Ice punches, whereas Rotom-W would resist that coverage move. Besides, rotom-w also takes advantage of rain better than Rotom-C. It forces out Pert while keeping momentum on your side.

• 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 135-159 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 180-212 (51.1 - 60.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- 66.4% chance to 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 126-148 (34.6 - 40.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 200-236 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ Atk Mega Swampert Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Celebi: 148-176 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Ferrothorn can be 2HKOed without any prediction with only 10-15% previous damage, Mega Venusaur can only check Mega Swampert if it's physically defensive and even then it can't check it for a long time because rain cuts down its recovery, meaning it's 2HKOed by Earthquake the second time it switches in, assuming it switched into Earthquake with SR up and used Synthesis with rain up the first time it came in, and Celebi can only counter if it's physically defensive.

Some good counters to Mega Swampert are Slowbro, Rotom-W, Mega Slowbro, defensive Gyarados, physically defensive Celebi, Alomomola, Chesnaught, and Tangrowth. However, Ice Beam prevents Chesnaught and Tangrowth from straight up countering Mega Swampert, though they remain excellent checks, and Power Up Punch lets Mega Swampert 2HKO Almomola and Slowbro, whose best chance is to burn with Scald, otherwise they are 2HKOed by +1 Earthquake. Waterfall, Earthquake, Ice Punch, and Low Kick / Power Up Punch / Stealth Rock is looking to be the best set for Mega Swampert, with very few safe switch-ins, especially if you go with Power Up Punch.
What about Rain Dance? It seems far easier for 'pert to set up it's own rain as it mega evolves, rather than having to switch from politoed and then mega evolve.

jack$on

Banned deucer.
How can u say mega Swampert will be outclassed by Kabutops, is this a joke? First of all Swampert has ridiculous bulk, then add on the fact that it doesn't have LO recoil and resists SR its really hard to take it down before it destroys your team. It also has a much better typing in the scope of things. Rain absolutely hates electric types, and swamp will be a really solid switch in to those pokemon. It also hits ferrothorn a lot harder with superpower. Swamperts amazing bulk, typing, power and movepool make it better than Kabutops, and not outclassed.

Yes, everything changes on the turn you mega-evolve except turn order

Snorlax does not learn Explosion, only Self-destruct

Some other examples:
252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 550-648 (136.1 - 160.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Lickilicky Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 502-592 (124.2 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Landorus-T Explosion vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 485-571 (120 - 141.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Self-Destruct vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 477-562 (118 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-W Ice Burn vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 460-543 (113.8 - 134.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def (non-psychic) Mew: 448-528 (110.8 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Only thing I can find that beats it is this:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Rain: 672-792 (166.3 - 196%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Sun: 588-693 (145.5 - 171.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew in Sun: 664-783 (164.3 - 193.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Not like either of these are really seen in OU and they both need sun up but interesting to note.

Though it would only last 5 turns... Still a good option despite this.
5 turns? 5 dead Pokémon. Been running some calcs, found a lot of walls are either OHKOed or 2HKOed by 'pert after stealth rocks, and the ones that aren't are either grass-type, passive or irrelevant.

Edit: Whoops, forgot Rotom-Wash. This thing really ruins Megapert's day.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't think Mega Swampert is much of a threat. Consider this calc:

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 146-173 (32.8 - 38.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Mega Swampert Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 136-162 (30.6 - 36.4%) -- 58.2% chance to 3HKO

In terms of raw power, Kabutops is better. TBH using Mega Swampert on rain is a waste of a mega that could be better spent on something like Mega Pinsir or another threatening mon. Mega Swampert just doesn't have a niche because, indeed it is bulkier, but all defensive reasoning is thrown away on a rain team.

%Srn: UBERPYRO rain is best offensively
%Srn: you throw out all defensive reasoning
%Srn: and you just break teams apart

So, Mega Swampert isn't really something to look out for. Normal rain sweepers like Kabutops and Kingdra fulfill this roll more effectively and without occupying the mega slot.
Bulk is not irrelevant just because it's a rain team. Bulk never becomes irrelevant and M-Swampert is vastly more bulky than Kabutops. M-Swampert under rain is a fast mon that hits very hard and takes hits very well.

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
Though it would only last 5 turns... Still a good option despite this.
Rain Dance Mega Pert on its own would just be a cleaner on balanced / BO teams. By then everything would ideally be weakened to the point where Waterfall / EQ would OHKO. Kinda reminds me of TG+RD Manaphy but better against offense and only taking one turn to reach full capacity.

Speaking of cleaners, that's all I really see Mega Lopunny being. It seems to lack the power to break walls that well. I can see it being a great offensive supporter with Encore+Healing Wish with two great cleaning STABs in Return and High Jump Kick, but I can't see Mega Lopunny being anything but a good cleaner / supporter. It'll definitely be viable, but I don't see it making OU like some people are claiming. High UU maybe but there are numerous better Megas for OU play that Lopunny would more often than not be a waste of a Mega slot.

I can't see any of the new mega's landing in RU except maybe glalie. I think you might be right about camerupt, it could end up being a little too strong and be BL2 but that speed stat and bad typing may be enough to keep it RU. I guess RU and below just aren't suitable for most mega's unfortunately, however I am excited for the potential flood of new UU mega's. Audino, steelix, pidgeot, beedrill, and lopunny are all pokemon that could find a home in UU. It would certainly spice things up a bit considering the only mega pokemon you see in UU are absol, blastoise and sometimes houndoom.

Edit: How the hell did I forget ampharos who is arguably the best UU mega? Derp. Thanks for pointing that out Kurona.

Last edited:
I know Mega Camerupt has a base 30 speed or something crappy 20 speed, but does anyone think Rock Polish could be sorta viable? Now i know it wont be sweeping anything, but it could be useful on the switch to outspeed walls or something. I guess rp mega camerupt could be used on a sticky web team too, but that might be too hard to pull off...

Last edited:
I can't see any of the new mega's landing in RU except maybe glalie. I think you might be right about camerupt, it could end up being a little too strong and be BL2 but that speed stat and bad typing may be enough to keep it RU. I guess RU and below just aren't suitable for most mega's unfortunately, however I am excited for the potential flood of new UU mega's. Audino, steelix, pidgeot, beedrill, and lopunny are all pokemon that could find a home in UU. It would certainly spice things up a bit considering the only mega pokemon you see in UU are absol, blastoise and sometimes houndoom.
Cough cough Ampharos
I'm just really excited for Mega Sceptile to wreck the tier.

This pretty much encapsulates my thoughts, Glalie is really the only pokemon I could see in RU, everything else is just way to powerful to end up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)