Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm excited for M-gross. Would the preferred nature be adamant or jolly? I have a shiny Adamant I'd rather use, but would probably have to redo its EVs. Also why are people suggesting Grass Knot on it? Is it for M-swampert?
Jolly, that way you can outspeed Keldeo, MPinsir, Garchomp and Terrakion, as well as tie with Latios, Latias, Gengar, and the ton of other base 110s we're getting. Adamant might be usable with an Agility set though.

Grass Knot is more for MSlowbro btw.

Also Lopunny doens't get Swords Dance.
Also Mega Altaria should always run Return instead of Outrage on a DD set, with maybe Dragon Claw (but EQ is better coverage).
Also, Iron Defense Slowbro? lolwhat
Altaria doesn't need any dragon move. Return can kill dragons. My set for a mixed M Altaria is:

Altaria-Mega
Ability: Pixielate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

4 SpA Altaria Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 344-408 (100.2 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Altaria Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 372-440 (96.6 - 114.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Altaria Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 264-312 (75 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Mega Glalie has access to Super Fang which is getting a Refrigerate boost as well. This means it will inflict 65% of the opponent's current HP regardless of resistances. That's another unique niche for everyone's favorite floating icy face!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Mega Glalie has access to Super Fang which is getting a Refrigerate boost as well. This means it will inflict 65% of the opponent's current HP regardless of resistances. That's another unique niche for everyone's favorite floating icy face!
Does Super Fang really do that with Refrigirate? It doesn't with a life orb or power boosting item so idk if that will change with the fact that Refrigirate is an ability.

Does Super Fang really do that with Refrigirate? It doesn't with a life orb or power boosting item so idk if that will change with the fact that Refrigirate is an ability.
No, it doesn't. It's still 50% HP

Seismic Toss doesn't get a boost if the mon is lvl 40. They're set damage percentages.

Last edited:

I had no idea tha SuperFang was affected by Refrigerate.
That's pretty cool. In that case SuperFang + Ice Shard (+Haxards) sounds like a good team.

Another thing to test I guess (along with Weather Ball).

lol, Metagross can switch in on Lati@s, Mega Evolve, set up Agility and GG.
And I'm pretty sure Intimidate Salamence can set up on anything, Mega Evolve and wreck.

I hope we get more Megas than just Randoms and E4/Champion Megas.

Actually, I can see M-Beedrill getting some use out of Substitute. It's not exactly like its cup runneth over with good coverage moves anyway, and being the frailest motherfucker around, an extra turn is a big deal for it.

Beedrill's raw power and speed should allow it to force a lot of switches. If you can anticipate a switch and use it to get a Sub in, that'll give you the ability to take an extra hit - which could be handy. Depends on what's coming in, though; ideally, you want to use Sub to so something like survive a priority move and KO its user.

That's gimmicky at best. Mega beedrill is powerful but a lot of things can take a hit from it and if they can survive a hit the chances are they can KO it on the same turn (virtually any decent physical attacker can). People might just decide to stay in and KO it instead of switching and letting it get a free u-turn. On top of that quite a few common OU pokemon flat out wall it, so sub isn't going to be doing much if you can't do anything to whatever comes in.
Also it's not always possible to keep rocks off the field, sub damage and rocks damage racks up fast.

In my opinion sub beedrill is just a terrible set. Way too frail to be playing mind games with sub, lacks coverage, walled by common OU typings, and it's best move that it will be pressing 90% of the time takes it out of play.

I personally love M-Beedril, and can totally see it on my team with Poison Jab, U-Turn, Knock Off, and Protect, so you can get the speed boost. Honestly, This thing is gonna be OU for like, ever. 150 Atk? Awesome, but not as high as some other Megas. Adaptability? This thing just got OP as f***. 145 Speed? R u srs G4meFRk?!?!?

I personally love M-Beedril, and can totally see it on my team with Poison Jab, U-Turn, Knock Off, and Protect, so you can get the speed boost. Honestly, This thing is gonna be OU for like, ever. 150 Atk? Awesome, but not as high as some other Megas. Adaptability? This thing just got OP as f***. 145 Speed? R u srs G4meFRk?!?!?
i predict him being B+ rank, lol
running protect on beedrill would be like running protect on manectric; a waste of a moveslot.
for what? just that one turn you mega evolve?

might as well give it drill run so it could shit on fire types
or even fell stinger so it can OHKO weakened pokemon to get the +2

Cannot switch into anything, low base power on moves, bad coverage, OHKOed by almost all priority moves after SR while having none of it...

(The latter three are what sets it apart from Deoxys-A, not just the power and speed difference)

Not necessarily true on the subject of protect, mega manectric has decent defences and intimidate (plus manectric itself has a good speed tier). Beedrill is going to have serious trouble trying to mega evolve in OU.
There's no clear cut answer here as both options have problems /: If you use protect you worsen its already bad coverage but if you don't use protect you risk getting KO'd every time you try to mega evolve.

Mega Beedrill seems like it'll be very matchup dependent in general. It can potentially put in quite a bit of work if it gets an opening, but against more offensive teams, good luck getting a free turn. Remember, your holy shit speed only comes into play after you've been in for a turn.

Cannot switch into anything, low base power on moves, bad coverage, OHKOed by almost all priority moves after SR while having none of it...
Although I agree Beedrill is overhyped, again, most of the hipsters trying to be anti-mainstream lol are being too harsh on it. Low BP moves? I'm not really sure when 90 BP(Poison Jab) became low... Also people keep jerking off about beedrill being weak to priority when Scizor is the only real priority user that counters Beedrill. Azumarill and Talonflame? Have fun switching into this 135 power, adaptability boosted, base 150 attack poison jab. Lol, that's a nice and clean free kill. The "cant switch into anything" argument could also be said about a lot of pokes in OU that are very good.

Although I agree Beedrill is overhyped, again, most of the hipsters trying to be anti-mainstream lol are being too harsh on it. Low BP moves? I'm not really sure when 90 BP(Poison Jab) became low... Also people keep jerking off about beedrill being weak to priority when Scizor is the only real priority user that counters Beedrill. Azumarill and Talonflame? Have fun switching into this 135 power, adaptability boosted, base 150 attack poison jab. Lol, that's a nice and clean free kill. The "cant switch into anything" argument could also be said about a lot of pokes in OU that are very good.
Azumarill and talonflame have no business switching in when beedrill can OHKO, it's not about countering, it's the fact that almost anything with priority can check it so easily. Priority runs rampant in OU and beedrill can't handle any of it (with the exception of mach punch :P). I know the "can't switch in" argument is used a lot, but beedrill really takes the cake here with a SR weakness and possibly the worst defensive stats in OU.
Poison jab is 80BP btw.

Regardless, Beedrill should be able find a comfortable niche and will probably end up in B or B-. I apologise if I sound like I'm bashing or dismissing it because I actually can't wait to mess around with it, I just feel I have to say something when I see beedrill and OP in the same sentence. lol

Don't you people realize hyping up Beedrill happens because a lot of people are happy that this pokemon which was NU for 18 frickin years.

And did you guys know that Glalie gets Freeze Dry? That is amazing.

I feel that by far the biggest hurdle for beedrill's viability is his low base form speed. I've used banded ninjask quite a bit back in early gen 6 UU, who is almost identical to mega beedrill, so I know there are ways to get him in safely (hint, slow BP/u-turn/volt switch works miricles), but the difference between ninjask and beedrill is that once ninjask is in on a non-priority user, he is pretty much guaranteed to get back out by simply clicking on "u-turn", regardless of what the opponent does (and gets some respectable chip damage and/or momentum while he was at it). Beedrill, however, needs to get in on a fairly slow mon (base 70 is low even by defensive mon standards, let alone the offensive mons CB ninjask shines at whittling down) in order to transform. Once transformed, megadrill is better then bandjask in pretty much every way imaginable, even if he needs to waste a slot on protect.

Sabeleye seems outclassed as a defensive magic bouncer by m-Diance, and as an offensive one by Espeon. I see no reason to use it in OU.
Mega Diancie is an offensive Pokémon and will itself make Espeon much less viable by taking one of its niches away. Besides, Mega Sableye will have to be played very tactically, since its regular form is still really useful. The main draw with Mega Sableye is, as with Mega Gyarados, when to Mega Evolve it, creating mindgames and forcing the opponent to pull risky plays.
All in all, you're criminally underselling Mega Sableye, as its role will be entirely different from Mega Diancie's: Mega Sableye is a bulky tank, while Mega Diancie is a powerful sweeper/wallbreaker.

Can we discuss mega gallade? Base 110 speed, base 165 attack, STAB close combat… This beast seems to be going under the radar. Shame about the ability though, it would have been cool to have something a little more beneficial.

Mega Diancie is an offensive Pokémon and will itself make Espeon much less viable by taking one of its niches away. Besides, Mega Sableye will have to be played very tactically, since its regular form is still really useful. The main draw with Mega Sableye is, as with Mega Gyarados, when to Mega Evolve it, creating mindgames and forcing the opponent to pull risky plays.
All in all, you're criminally underselling Mega Sableye, as its role will be entirely different from Mega Diancie's: Mega Sableye is a bulky tank, while Mega Diancie is a powerful sweeper/wallbreaker.
I wish I could agree with you man, but the more I look at m-sable's stats, the more I realize that he really is just not meant to be the bulky sweeper I want him to be. 85 base special attack on a mega is absolutely pitiful, meaning that he'll have to pretty much be a full out stallmon (in it's favor, it does get night shade + stoss).

Msable will have a niche as a stall-oriented stall breaker, but not much else.

*edit*

Can we discuss mega gallade? Base 110 speed, base 165 attack, STAB close combat… This beast seems to be going under the radar. Shame about the ability though, it would have been cool to have something a little more beneficial.
on mega gallade, there's just not much to say. It's fast, has great coverage, SD, and very little else. I see him as being akin to a physical greninja minus spikes.

Did I miss anything (that's not strictly doubles related that is)?

I wish I could agree with you man, but the more I look at m-sable's stats, the more I realize that he really is just not meant to be the bulky sweeper I want him to be. 85 base special attack on a mega is absolutely pitiful, meaning that he'll have to pretty much be a full out stallmon (in it's favor, it does get night shade + stoss).

*edit*

on mega gallade, there's just not much to say. It's fast, has great coverage, SD, and very little else. I see him as being akin to a physical greninja minus spikes.

Clefable only has 95 SpA and Suicune 90. You're special attack doesn't have to be sky-high when you set up to +6 without toxic stopping you

*edit*

... why are you caring about a bulky sweeper in regards to Sableye? Why wouldn't you focus on the amazing traits it actually has rather than looking for something that it could never acheive no matter what?

... why are you caring about a bulky sweeper in regards to Sableye? Why wouldn't you focus on the amazing traits it actually has rather than looking for something that it could never acheive no matter what?
Because I was hoping for a bulky magic bounce sweeper when he was announced? Don't get me wrong, he will have a niche on stall teams as a stallbreaker/wincon bundled into one cute little package, but I was kind of hoping that he'd have a bit of a larger niche.

*edit*

bc baton pass
gdi Rosen....

I see your point, but wouldnt you have a speed positive nature on a suicide lead?

252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 214-252 (61.3 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I am very impressed by this, but wouldnt it be better to have a mega who lasts all game, so it doesnt go to waste (maybe glalie could be like spikes greninja, only a little worse).
Getting a few Spikes up for team for the rest of the game and killing or severely denting any Pokemon on the opposing team doesn't seem like a waste for a Mega to me. It's a pretty significant help and will be great paired with Bisharp (or maybe Defiant Thundurus).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)