ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sounds like they are going to go with the multi-level city idea. Also I think they took some inspiration from the Special/Adventure manga here. In the Special/Adventure manga, the reason New Mauville was built (by the Trick Master's ancestor) was because he predicted Mauville City would one day get over populated which it did. So it sounds like they sort of went with the manga's idea but made it three stories tall (roof, inner city, underground (New Mauville?)) in order to hold the increased population. No wonder why they need tour guides now.
This made me twitch a little
Actually in the manga, New Mauville was made to be a playland/theme park for children. Mauville was always depicted as a tourist trap entertainment town, and New Mauville was really a resort spot.
And when you consider THAT, it would make sense to have tour guides, or informational kiosks to help make it feel more like a real-world theme park.

This made me twitch a little
Actually in the manga, New Mauville was made to be a playland/theme park for children. Mauville was always depicted as a tourist trap entertainment town, and New Mauville was really a resort spot.
And when you consider THAT, it would make sense to have tour guides, or informational kiosks to help make it feel more like a real-world theme park.
So basically, you're saying that there's a chance that Mauville will be remade into Nimbasa? Joy.

I think ORAS is going to have way better graphical capabilities than X and Y, for one the running and direction is less generic and more free. And the animations for the sprites are obviously better. What do you think?

So does the special mission actually give you anything special, as far as we know right now? Just that I forgot to play today because as excited as it makes me for ORAS, the demo itself is pretty dull and repetitive.

Nope, the secret mission gives you nothing..... Which is really strange considering all the trouble one has to go through to get it. The only extra thing we get is a Gold Nugget if we manage to get yet another secret mission to go see some strange man.

I hope there's something else... I really do, but nothing's been found in the Coding for the demo. I'm hoping they update the demo with the new stuff. Unlikely, but there's still hope XD.

I think ORAS is going to have way better graphical capabilities than X and Y, for one the running and direction is less generic and more free. And the animations for the sprites are obviously better. What do you think?
It's still on the exact same console so no way can it have better graphical capability; and I personally haven't seen anything in the demo which indicates anything is better graphics-wise than XY.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's still on the exact same console so no way can it have better graphical capability; and I personally haven't seen anything in the demo which indicates anything is better graphics-wise than XY.
I think what he's trying to say is that the graphics will be more refined. We always get small graphical improvements with new instalments within the same generation, whether it be minor move differences, UI layout, sprite (or in this case; model) differences etc., and ORAS will not be an exception. I think the visuals for the demo are stunning and are only making me even more excited to play the full game

To be fair, as I said before, the in-game map does show a location where the Abandoned Ship should be, but it doesn't change the fact that there's no location data for the Abandoned Ship in the datamine. New Mauville, however, does have location data. Looks like Mauville is busting out all over.
I'm guessing that they gave the ship a name (The Sea Mauville) and some more backstory.
Isn't new mauville just that power plant place we went to in the original?

Is any else a bit surprised that they made Mauville the "big" city of the region instead of Lilycove? I mean, it makes sense in retrospect since it's a center city with an Electric-type Gym Leader like Lumiose, but I always thought that the main city of Hoenn was Lilycove, since it has both the main Contest Hall and the Department Store (a la Celadon and Goldenrod).

Well, the capital cities are usually the business and industry hubs of a country, such as Lumiose City in Unova, and the entertainment hubs are usually considered major cities, but they're rarely, if ever, capitals.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is any else a bit surprised that they made Mauville the "big" city of the region instead of Lilycove? I mean, it makes sense in retrospect since it's a center city with an Electric-type Gym Leader like Lumiose, but I always thought that the main city of Hoenn was Lilycove, since it has both the main Contest Hall and the Department Store (a la Celadon and Goldenrod).
Well, Mauvlle has the location going for it. Within a minute of biking, you can get to Lavaridge, Slateport, Verdanturf and even Rustboro if you bring a repel. Oldale Town is also quite close once you get Surf. By comparison, Lilycove is a bit of a remote city, only bordering Fortree and Mossdeep, and both of those are quite far away across routes with a lot of grass/sea.

Mauville is also quite close to many of the game's oft-revisited features. Players will often return to the Day Care or the Game Corner, two of the Contest Halls are within walking distance, and in nearby Slateport you can visit the market, the museum or take a boat trip to Lilycove (or the Battle Frontier). Mauville is a place you'll return to often, or transit through if you're traversing the region by foot. Notably, the only passage from West to East Hoenn goes through Mauville (although you can surf the other way via Pacifidlog). It plays much the same role as Nimbasa did in B/W, albeit without the Battle Whatever and with less annoying music.

Well, Mauvlle has the location going for it. Within a minute of biking, you can get to Lavaridge, Slateport, Verdanturf and even Rustboro if you bring a repel. Oldale Town is also quite close once you get Surf. By comparison, Lilycove is a bit of a remote city, only bordering Fortree and Mossdeep, and both of those are quite far away across routes with a lot of grass/sea.

Mauville is also quite close to many of the game's oft-revisited features. Players will often return to the Day Care or the Game Corner, two of the Contest Halls are within walking distance, and in nearby Slateport you can visit the market, the museum or take a boat trip to Lilycove (or the Battle Frontier). Mauville is a place you'll return to often, or transit through if you're traversing the region by foot. Notably, the only passage from West to East Hoenn goes through Mauville (although you can surf the other way via Pacifidlog). It plays much the same role as Nimbasa did in B/W, albeit without the Battle Whatever and with less annoying music.
Just what I was going to say; though I should bring in the point that there's pretty much no chance of the Game Corner returning since the laws against gambling influences in children's gaming or whatever were introduced.

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all, honestly. A bit disappointed, because Lilycove's status as Hoenn's biggest city was despite its interesting location was always one of my favorite things about the region, but I'm excited to see what they do with the upgraded Mauville. I'm sure they'll still be able to highlight Lilycove's importance, too; it's the location of not only the Master Rank Contest Hall, but also the final May/Brendan battle, the Aqua/Magma Hideout, the Move Deleter, and other things. Plus it's within spitting distance of the Safari Zone. I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time in Lilycove too. No worries there.

Just what I was going to say; though I should bring in the point that there's pretty much no chance of the Game Corner returning since the laws against gambling influences in children's gaming or whatever were introduced.
I was wondering how they were going to circumvent bringing the Game Corner back. Overhauling Mauville is a pretty sly way to do it.

You'd make quite the estate agent/realtor, I now want to live in Mauville.

If we have to see the fly animation from the demo every time we want to fly Im gonna be a bit upset. also does no one think the enter a wild fight animation especially for wild battles is a bit long winded in pokemon.

It's like it takes what 30 seconds to get into a fight that takes 3 seconds to one hit ko some lvl 5 caterpie and it's like dead time over and over again.

Gf have slickened up some of the in battle effects time lapses for certain things, maybes time to review how long it takes to instigate and conclude a battle too?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokémon League.
Oh, right. Odd, never thought Mossdeep City and Ever Grande City was that close to each other.

If we have to see the fly animation from the demo every time we want to fly Im gonna be a bit upset. also does no one think the enter a wild fight animation especially for wild battles is a bit long winded in pokemon.

It's like it takes what 30 seconds to get into a fight that takes 3 seconds to one hit ko some lvl 5 caterpie and it's like dead time over and over again.

Gf have slickened up some of the in battle effects time lapses for certain things, maybes time to review how long it takes to instigate and conclude a battle too?
I don't think the soaring animation will be the same as the demo, but I'm sure there will be one (and hopefully it'll be quicker). Those intro
animations are disguised loading screens so while I wish we could cut them short they're probably needed, at least the first few seconds.

Oh, right. Odd, never thought Mossdeep City and Ever Grande City was that close to each other.
They're not; if you look at the rest of the map while in-flight it's really condensed and everything's much closer to each other. Makes you and the lati look like some sort of giant god; it's the one issue I have with the soaring but I don't really think it could realistically be fixed within the 3DS' limitations.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
They're not; if you look at the rest of the map while in-flight it's really condensed and everything's much closer to each other. Makes you and the lati look like some sort of giant god; it's the one issue I have with the soaring but I don't really think it could realistically be fixed within the 3DS' limitations.
I see, how odd. I figured that scaling the panorama of Hoenn would be the easy part with the most difficult being the details like representing the towns/cities but it looked like they did a pretty good job on that part. It kind of reminds me of panorama of New York in the Queens Museum.

It's perspective.

Ya know...

Last edited:
Not sure if this was pointed out (I'm not reading 20 pages), but the UI sprites were uploaded in Kaphotic's paste bin and I found this:

The file is called "bf_mark"

BF means Battle Frontier (or Boyfriend, ahue.. naw, just kidding), but its a slightly re-textured Battle Maison logo..

So my best guess is that they're probably redesigning the Battle Tower and calling that the Battle Frontier. Or just adding in the Maison as an additional place.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was pointed out (I'm not reading 20 pages), but the UI sprites were uploaded in Kaphotic's paste bin and I found this:

The file is called "bf_mark"

BF means Battle Frontier (or Boyfriend, ahue.. naw, just kidding), but its a slightly re-textured Battle Maison logo..

So my best guess is that they're probably redesigning the Battle Tower and calling that the Battle Frontier.
Battle Resort just holds the Battle Maison that now uses the Battle Tower lobby music and Battle Frontier boss music

a frankenstien of battle facilities

Battle Resort just holds the Battle Maison that now uses the Battle Tower lobby music and Battle Frontier boss music

a frankenstien of battle facilities
The only small problem with that statement is that there is a theme/sound file for the Battle Resort AND Battle Tower. Its odd, so who knows.

Regardless of how it turns out, I'm just glad the sound file for the Frontier Leader battle theme is in there, gives it a good shot of returning and I personally don't see a reason not to bring it back instead of just rehashing the E4 theme like they did in XY. At least the Battle Subway in BW/2 used the Champion theme.

The only small problem with that statement is that there is a theme/sound file for the Battle Resort AND Battle Tower. Its odd, so who knows.

Regardless of how it turns out, I'm just glad the sound file for the Frontier Leader battle theme is in there, gives it a good shot of returning and I personally don't see a reason not to bring it back instead of just rehashing the E4 theme like they did in XY. At least the Battle Subway in BW/2 used the Champion theme.
Well it was mostly a joke but what I was saying was that Battle Resort has the Battle Maison in it
it is not, itself, the battle maison and thus when you are out and about it has its own theme

Well it was mostly a joke but what I was saying was that Battle Resort has the Battle Maison in it
it is not, itself, the battle maison and thus when you are out and about it has its own theme
I just have a bad habit of misunderstanding text. :s

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Lilycove is after the 6th Gym, that would be too late to introduce the "capital" city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)