ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're not; if you look at the rest of the map while in-flight it's really condensed and everything's much closer to each other. Makes you and the lati look like some sort of giant god; it's the one issue I have with the soaring but I don't really think it could realistically be fixed within the 3DS' limitations.
I mean, they aren't that close, but they're adjacent to each other. It's hard to think about in terms of gameplay, because generally no one is going to Surf from Mossdeep to Ever Grande -- by the time you're ready to face the Elite Four, everything you've had to do in Mossdeep is done. With that said, though, if you travel just a bit south from Mossdeep, Ever Grande awaits.

I do feel a little odd about the compression of the region in the soaring sequence, but really, it's about as well as they could've done. Seeing everything appear so close made me worry about whether the game would capture Hoenn's vastness, but then as I was playing through Mossdeep I realized how damn huge the city is. It's safe to say I'm not really worried anymore. I think the soaring looks absolutely wonderful, even if a bit condensed. Maybe I'm just too excited for my own good, but the soaring sequence that we see in the demo gives me chills, ahaha.

Last edited:
This is a ridiculously late realization, but it just came to me that there is no team data in the game's code for Gym Leader rematches. That's such a shame, I was so looking forward to Leader rematch teams -- Emerald was the first game where that took place, after all. Well, at least we have Elite Four rematches, I suppose.

This is a ridiculously late realization, but it just came to me that there is no team data in the game's code for Gym Leader rematches. That's such a shame, I was so looking forward to Leader rematch teams -- Emerald was the first game where that took place, after all. Well, at least we have Elite Four rematches, I suppose.
I was soooooooooo happy to see that we got e4 rematches.
XY not having them was the pits

Full teams and items and megas and everything

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Looking at some of the teams obviously there are some not done yet, so maybe it's possible the Gym Leader haven't been programmed in yet? I imagine they may be programmed in late in development since Gym Leader rematches aren't top priority.

The E4 rematches have items?
Only their Pokemon that's going to Mega Evolve are holding an item.

Still, just as I said about the Gym Leader rematches, so maybe their teams aren't finalized by the time of the demo (they do have some odd things like Phoebe's Sableye knowing Prankster but having not Status Move or Glacia's Mega Evolving Glalie not knowing a Normal-type move).

Looking at some of the teams obviously there are some not done yet, so maybe it's possible the Gym Leader haven't been programmed in yet? I imagine they may be programmed in late in development since Gym Leader rematches aren't top priority.
What makes you think the teams "obviously" aren't done yet

If you're talking about all the zigzagoons, at least, those are common fro dummied out trainers. There were several in BW2's code, for isntance, including I believe a Colress battle.

I've been SR for a few days now and still no secret mission, any pointers? I've seen everyone in the city and beaten expert Theodore several times.

I've been SR for a few days now and still no secret mission, any pointers? I've seen everyone in the city and beaten expert Theodore several times.
It's completely random; as far as we know there's nothing else you can do to affect the outcome than what you're already doing.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone been to that one island in the demo where there's a ladder!? First we could sit on benches, now we can actually climb ladders! Gen VI = best gen

That's what I'm hoping, but I'm not going to bank on it. I think the demo data is pretty much the final build, so I'm expecting just about what we have.

Speaking of what we have, I'm a little bit confused. The wild Pokémon encounters don't seem too underleveled, barring, of course, what seems to be Sky Pillar with a max of level 46. So I have a probably too-simple question: why do we keep mentioning how low the wild encounter levels are? They seem to compare pretty well with RSE. I'm probably missing something, but I'm confused nonetheless.

That's what I'm hoping, but I'm not going to bank on it. I think the demo data is pretty much the final build, so I'm expecting just about what we have.

Speaking of what we have, I'm a little bit confused. The wild Pokémon encounters don't seem too underleveled, barring, of course, what seems to be Sky Pillar with a max of level 46. So I have a probably too-simple question: why do we keep mentioning how low the wild encounter levels are? They seem to compare pretty well with RSE. I'm probably missing something, but I'm confused nonetheless.
Probably because, well, yes the sky pillar considering it's aftergame, and the expectation of other aftegame areas.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Probably because, well, yes the sky pillar considering it's aftergame, and the expectation of other aftegame areas.
Because they are incredibly low? RS had no where to grind Pre-E4. Highest levels were like the Exploud/Hariyama in Victory Road which capped out at Level 40! They also have incredibly low EXP yield... Which means getting from 40 to 45+ (and even to 50+) is a chore in itself. Remember Steven has a Level 58 (!) Metagross. You'll be incredibly lucky to reach anywhere close to those levels without grinding like fuck. The first time I reached the E4, I'd barely hit lv 40... The only option for grinding really at that point is to buy as many items as you can for your main attempt. Then throw yourself continually at the Elite 4 to gain XP while minimizing item useage...

HGSS had it even worse with the highest level mons pre (first) E4 being available at about Lv 25~30....

Because they are incredibly low? RS had no where to grind Pre-E4. Highest levels were like the Exploud/Hariyama in Victory Road which capped out at Level 40! They also have incredibly low EXP yield... Which means getting from 40 to 45+ (and even to 50+) is a chore in itself. Remember Steven has a Level 58 (!) Metagross. You'll be incredibly lucky to reach anywhere close to those levels without grinding like fuck. The first time I reached the E4, I'd barely hit lv 40... The only option for grinding really at that point is to buy as many items as you can for your main attempt. Then throw yourself continually at the Elite 4 to gain XP while minimizing item useage...

HGSS had it even worse with the highest level mons pre (first) E4 being available at about Lv 25~30....
Well, you've got the Exp. Share this time round, and I'll be surprised if there's no lucky egg anywhere in the game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
What makes you think the teams "obviously" aren't done yet

If you're talking about all the zigzagoons, at least, those are common fro dummied out trainers. There were several in BW2's code, for isntance, including I believe a Colress battle.
Oh, well in that case guess I have nothing, though there were some trainers on Victory Road which oddly had Pokemon not part of the Hoenn Dex (as well as some S.S. Tidal trainers but they could be for post game).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Am i the only one who trained against the elite4. I would buy tons of proteins/carbos/etc (as well as potions), so i would have no money left so i wouldnt lose as much vs the e4. You dont use potions/revives, you are just doing it for exp. The main problem with this pre gen5 was how some pokemon would get a lot more training compared to others, also in earlier games (pre gen4) i found it hard to not level up one pokemon more than the others, a 'king', which was high enough to beat the e4 by itself (this happens especcially in red). This method also let me successfully use 'bad' mons against the elite 4 (like masquerain, beautifly, etc). This isnt too oras related but in case oras mirrors rse its just a tip :)

I didn't see anyone confirm this here, but it's said that, after completing the secret mission once, you can do it as many times as you want? Serebii says that clearing it the first time will add an extra option to Steven's dropdown menu to revisit Matt/Tabitha instead of doing a random mission.

Being able to say "Let's go somewhere secret" to Steven may have been the special-something all along...
-write all the bad Brendan x Steven fanfics-

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I must have been doing something wrong because my team was always in the mid to upper fifties by the E4, and any Grass/Electric mon I had with me was usually ten levels higher.

I didn't see anyone confirm this here, but it's said that, after completing the secret mission once, you can do it as many times as you want? Serebii says that clearing it the first time will add an extra option to Steven's dropdown menu to revisit Matt/Tabitha instead of doing a random mission.

Being able to say "Let's go somewhere secret" to Steven may have been the special-something all along...
-write all the bad Brendan x Steven fanfics-
There were two videos linked a while ago here. One of them shows the guy going on the secret mission, he says he's done it before he recorded it, and mentions how the villainous team alternates when you play it over. I've not got the secret mission myself, but it's either a legit video, or someone coded their own fake demo...

Fielding a full team of 5 or 6 and not grinding at all (just fighting every trainer only) tends to leave my team at the cusp of 50 (like 47, 48, 49). Usually I got enough rare candies through pick-up to bump up the last couple levels to everybody at 51 or 52. Still wished there was an efficient grinding area in the original R/S/E though.

But I don't see that being a problem here. Already they've confirmed the O-Powers returning, and I think we can expect the free Lucky Egg to come back too. And if they keep the exp. share mechanic of X and Y, we won't have many problems getting a full team ready for the Elite Four.

Well, at least until the re-matches. I always had trouble grinding for those. But still I think we'll be okay.

Edit: Oh and Pokemon-Amie is back too, that would boost exp as well.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well you can always battle Gabby and Ty over and over again. According to their data their Pokemon go over level 50 by the time of the 6th rematch with them:

First Battle (Route 111):
Magnemite (Lv. 20)(Ability: Magnet Pull) & Whismur (Lv. 20)(Ability: Soundproof)

Second Battle (Route 118):
Magneton (Lv. 29)(Ability: Magnet Pull) & Loudred (Lv. 29)(Ability: Soundproof)

Third Battle (Route 120):
Magneton (Lv. 34) & Loudred (Lv. 34)

Fourth Battle (Route 111):
Magneton (Lv. 41) & Loudred (Lv. 41)

Fifth Battle (Route 118):
Magneton (Lv. 45) & Exploud (Lv. 45)(Ability: Soundproof)

Sixth Battle (Route 120) & Onwards:
Magnezone (Lv. 51)(Ability: Magnet Pull) & Exploud (Lv. 51)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)