Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I have been playing ORAS ladder for a while, and I got to #50 or so using Mega Sableye (I have GXE in 70s cuz I lost a lot trying to find a good Mega Sableye set/teammates). Now let me talk about Mega Sableye. Hands down, jokes aside, Mega Sableye is probably THE best mega that is usable in current ORAS OU. Mega Salamence? Mega Slowbro? Mega Lopunny? Mega Metagross? Mega Swampert? Mega Sceptile? Even Mega Lati@s?! Yes. Fuck ALL of those megas in the wrath of Mega Sableye.

Mega Sableye has fucking 50/125/115 stats with prankster WoW or prankster CM on the first turn (that's if you mega on 1st turn) and after that, basically everything gets decimated. When Mega Sableye WoWs the main physical attacker and gets a CM (SUPER easy with prankster and his bulk), it's basically unstoppable aside from hax.

It's slow speed along with Recover is actually not a bad thing, it's a very good thing, predicting dem Overheats and Draco Meteors and recovering on the same turn is annoying af.

Now enough talking about Mega Sableye, but I'm pretty sure anyone who experienced a good player with Mega Sableye facing them or used Mega Sableye efficiently himself can agree with me that it's really good. But for now, here's the set i was using:

Sableye @ Sableite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 100 SpA / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Mono-attacking Shadow ball Sableye, seems absurd, but aside from Mega Lopunny, most normal types and dark types can't OHKO, or can't even 2HKO with Move + the same move but burned (assuming it's mega evolved, don't even get me started when it burns THEN it mega evolves and recovers, or mega evolves on the turn it WoWs). CM, Recover, and WoW, are pretty much on every single Sableye (at least 2 of them).

Max HP for maximum bulk, while the SpD EVs live 2 Modest Giga Drains from Mega Sceptile (Cuz it's a pain to deal with) and 2 Timid Dragon Pulse (Can still handle Modest D-Pulse thanks to Calm Mind), and gives LO Latios only about 20% chance to OHKO after rocks. 96 and Bold Nature gives ADAMANT Mega Salamence the ability to only OHKO with Frustration/Return 20% of the time (Obv Jolly has a low chance of OHKO WITH rocks). Now all of that is assuming you don't have prankster, meaning already mega evolved. Which rarely ever happens if you use Sableye correctly.

All that and I didn't even start talking about Magic Bounce. Magic Bounce is extremely amazing for setting up, bouncing off status (really great actually) and even screwing up hazard-spam HO, it also lets EASILY set up on a LOT of pokemon, including but not limited to Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Klefki, Thunudurs (taunt), Mew, Breloom, Gliscor, Heatran, Skarmory, Mandibuzz.

tl;dr

Mega Sableye

Pros:

+ Prankster : Let's it decimate HO
+ Magic Bounce : Let's it decimate Stall, bounce back hazards and status (annoying)
+ Magic Bounce + Prankster combo : if used correctly, can screw up Balanced, Bulky Offensive, and Anti-Stall
+ Very good typing
+ Very good bulk

Cons:

- Very bad Speed : Sadly slower than Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, Conkeldurr, and even SLOWbro.

Use this with Klefki Spikes+T-Wave support and you get RESULTS.

Set inspired + taken from FastFlygon

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch / Baton Pass

Mega Lopunny is fantastic right now, easily a top tier threat from my perspective. Its insane Speed tier and high powered attacks make it a pain for Hyperoffense teams, it's also not too shabby versus Stall either. The #1 switch in I've seen thus far is Landorus-T, which is actually 2HKOed after Fake Out then Ice Punch twice. The thing about Fake Out is that Lopunny's is really powerful and it gives it space to mega evolve. High Jump Kick and Frustration are super powerful and blast apart so many things. Baton Pass was neat and all to pivot and such, but the Attack drops from Landorus-T were also passed and it hardly saw use. Anyways, this set is great at like all points of the game; early game it can wear down the opposition, late game it can sweep weakened teams, mid game you //may// be able to pull off a sweep, it's versatile in this way. I've been running this alongside Lucario because it can work well late game after Lopunny weakens stuff to the point where Lucario can set up a Swords Dance and sweep. Gothitelle is also working well as a partner because it has the ability to pick off weakened foes that Lopunny puts the work on and can paralyze Choice Scarf users that threaten Lopunny. Lopunny is a fantastic Pokemon and has been performing marvelously, Jukain can also attest to the effectiveness of Mega Lopunny.​

M-Sableye's bulk is disappointing in practice. It gets worn down while setting up and is easily revenge killed afterwards. I haven't found any opportunity to sweep with it yet.

Set inspired + taken from FastFlygon

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Happiness: 0
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Frustration
- Ice Punch / Baton Pass

Mega Lopunny is fantastic right now, easily a top tier threat from my perspective. Its insane Speed tier and high powered attacks make it a pain for Hyperoffense teams, it's also not too shabby versus Stall either. The #1 switch in I've seen thus far is Landorus-T, which is actually 2HKOed after Fake Out then Ice Punch twice. The thing about Fake Out is that Lopunny's is really powerful and it gives it space to mega evolve. High Jump Kick and Frustration are super powerful and blast apart so many things. Baton Pass was neat and all to pivot and such, but the Attack drops from Landorus-T were also passed and it hardly saw use. Anyways, this set is great at like all points of the game; early game it can wear down the opposition, late game it can sweep weakened teams, mid game you //may// be able to pull off a sweep, it's versatile in this way. I've been running this alongside Lucario because it can work well late game after Lopunny weakens stuff to the point where Lucario can set up a Swords Dance and sweep. Gothitelle is also working well as a partner because it has the ability to pick off weakened foes that Lopunny puts the work on and can paralyze Choice Scarf users that threaten Lopunny. Lopunny is a fantastic Pokemon and has been performing marvelously, Jukain can also attest to the effectiveness of Mega Lopunny.​
Admittedly, i took the same set, and it's worked wonders. I've just dropped Fake out for healing wish for the other pokes to get their 2nd chance to shine if need be. Which is one of the best attributes of mLop in my opinion, The ability to carry whatever your team may benefit in those two free slots. mLop will definitey be a fun mon to work with. She's already done extremely well for me as of late, I'm sure it'll continue once we shift.

Just realized that Lopunny has two STAB priority options.
Lopunny could get 120 BP worth of damage (STAB included) on something faster before it even moved (Fake out + Quick Attack).
Lop's so fast that it can do this and doesn't even bother (might only help against Talonflame) while Medicham is green with envy running unSTABbed Fake Out and Bullet Punch.

k so i want to extend my gratitude to alexwolf for this beautiful innovation (fuck chansey though), first stall team i've actually enjoyed using in a while:

Sableye @ Sableite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Protect

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

will add explanations later but damn son this is fine

^ok fuck this shit, here's a better version for the time being:

Sableye @ Sableite
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 220 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

DISCLAIMER: i made this on my phone whilst poopin and have had little time to test, so if you see any major issues go ahead and point them out (as i test i'll be making changes anyway(likemefuckinguptheclefspread))
rhyperior over lando-t imo so you dont lose to mix salamence. you already have 3 fighing resists so losing lando-t doesnt matter too much.

Last edited:
With mega Sableye establishing itself as a significant metagame threat and Gengar being a pain in the ass as always, do people think dark types will see an increase in usage again? Problem is, I can't think of many ghost resists that actually successfully handle mega Sableye, so this thing could end up being a major problem for a lot of teams. I'm sure Seth Vilo loves that fact though.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
nothing really, but i'd rather not auto-lose to sableye so i'd personally avoid chansey. i'd say swap clefable for sylveon (even though it's worse) but dat gunk shot. ninja's brutal atm.
SpD Tentacruel counters both Extrasensory-less Greninja and CM Sableye, so as long as you have some solid Wish support you should be fine.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people noticed this, but Rotom-W's usage is very high, probably more than how it was in XY.

It's ability to check four of the most common ORAS Megas, Mega Swampert, Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross, and Mega Slowbro, while still being able to counter Mega Steelix and Mega Pidgeot, is a reason to that, but while still being able to check/weaken a lot of pokemons that are common as ever, such as Azumarill and , although not as common, Talonflame.

I do agree on that Lopunny point, Mega Lopunny and Mega Sableye are one of the most threatning pokemons in the current meta.

has anybody used glalie yet? i feel that glalie has some potential with that delicious ice+ground coverage and nuclear winter(ice type refrigerate STAB explosion). it has ice shard, taunt, spikes, and if you want to ditch boom, sub can be an option. i dont have a team with it yet, i just want the general perception of glalie

I'm pretty sure a lot of people noticed this, but Rotom-W's usage is very high, probably more than how it was in XY.

It's ability to check four of the most common ORAS Megas, Mega Swampert, Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross, and Mega Slowbro, while still being able to counter Mega Steelix and Mega Pidgeot, is a reason to that, but while still being able to check/weaken a lot of pokemons that are common as ever, such as Azumarill and , although not as common, Talonflame.

I do agree on that Lopunny point, Mega Lopunny and Mega Sableye are one of the most threatning pokemons in the current meta.
Idk that washing machine was at something stupid like 33% to 20% (it was grotesguely high) early XY. Just an easy slap on a team.

Anyway I frigging hate Mega Sable right now. Buggers running wisp and CM made me tear my hair out earlier after I had lost my Mega Altaria to a crit. Course I keep wondering how many megas will go ou and or how much of ou will be megas. Idk just curious to me it seems to be.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
has anybody used glalie yet? i feel that glalie has some potential with that delicious ice+ground coverage and nuclear winter(ice type refrigerate STAB explosion). it has ice shard, taunt, spikes, and if you want to ditch boom, sub can be an option. i dont have a team with it yet, i just want the general perception of glalie
Its hard countered by the washing machine, which is fucking everywhere, so that's a big downside :[
and if u wanted to use spikes ur better off just going with sash :S taunt is kinda nice but ur really frail.
However its explosion is simply mind blowing. I remember I burned a mega glalie once and it still OHKO'd my fully defensive mega sableye from full health,,,

rhyperior over lando-t imo so you dont lose to mix salamence. you already have 3 fighing resists so losing lando-t doesnt matter too much.
yeah rhyp has been suggested and is probably better, and not just for sala... i prefer using landt bc of u-turn (kind of a shitty reason but i really like taking advantage of anything that eases gaining momentum) but that's just my preferrence so yeah feel free to use rhyp

I've been using Mega Latias as a Defogger recently, and it's a monster for teams that don't carry Weavile or something that can outspeed and OHKO it.

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 84 HP / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Just a standard bulky Latias spread with Latiasite attached. I'll play around with some other EV spreads later. This set takes advantage of Latias' great base 110 speed tier while giving it some bulk at the expense of some power.

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 229-273 (71.1 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
172 SpA Mega Latias Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 282-333 (98.6 - 116.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Damn, you can emergency check Greninja after SR damage. I ran into this exact situation twice and was surprised it actually broke this way. Latias is great because it's still very fast but hard counters so many things at the same time. Basically everything bulky Latias checks bulky Mega Latias hard counters:

252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 96-114 (29.8 - 35.4%) -- 22.6% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias in Sun: 110-130 (34.1 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 126-150 (39.1 - 46.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 109-129 (33.8 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Landorus Hidden Power Ice vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 112-133 (34.7 - 41.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Life Orb Landorus Knock Off vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Mega Latias: 127-151 (39.4 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Mega Latias: 117-140 (36.3 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's just the relevant stuff it outright hard counters in one slot. It can also check a bunch of other things, as well as Defogging. I can't see why you would want to use Mega Pidgeot unless you really need a Defogger that beats Ferrothorn. Latias can fill a bunch of different roles on offensive teams, including pivoting special attackers, Defogging, and even some revenge-killing/cleaning. The cleaning/RKing sounds weird, but 110 speed and two very strong STABs can finish worn-down teams and threats very easily. It's so easy to fit Mega Latias onto teams. I've done a Staraptor+Talonflame+Mega Latias+Dugtrio team and it works great, because Latias walls common Electric answers to BirdSpam (Rotom-W, Raikou, Mega Manectric) and Dugtrio traps the ones Latias can't handle (Tyranitar, Heatran, Rhyperior). There's a lot of potential for Latias on all kinds of offensive and balance teams in OU.

Also, everybody should use Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable if you are having issues with Mega Sableye. Forces it out basically every time.

been playing oras ou on showdown a bit. about a 1200+ rating and building but porygon2 has got to be one of the best megamence counters out there. max def with thunder wave, recover, ice beam, thunderbolt. shuts down all the birdspam teams it's awesome. also tanks any move from mega sceptile and ice beams back.

porygon2 back to ou in oras!
Porygon 2 might actually be a good check. It gets Foul play now too from the tutors, but Ice beam is probably still superior.

Porygon 2 might actually be a good check. It gets Foul play now too from the tutors, but Ice beam is probably still superior.
Do not forget that if you switch Porygon2 into Salamence before it Mega Evolves, assuming it has Trace as its ability, it will trace Intimidate and lower Salamence's Attack by one stage, which impedes Salamence's progress in setting up.

(HP Fire and Heat Wave variations, of course)
Sp.D varients of Ferrothorn still beat Latios even with HP Fire on the switch as long as Ferrothorn has Protect and still has leftovers, but yeah, Mega Pidgeot seems kind of bad.

On a completely different note, are there any counters or even actual switch ins to mega Lopunny? I absolutely hate the concept of the shitfest of power creep that is ORAS and this might be the generation where I take a massive break, but still I'm kind of curious to know because I can't really think of any.

Doesn't Freeze Dry hit Rotom-W super effectively or am I missing something?
X To protect itself, it clad its body in an armor of ice, made by freezing moisture in the air.
Y It can instantly freeze moisture in the atmosphere. It uses this power to freeze its foes.

Glalie doesnt learn Freeze Dry. Despite its Pokedex entries above making that move make perfect sense.

Glalie does not get Freeze Dry. It might get it as an egg move in ORAS, but we do not have anything to possibly prove that.
X To protect itself, it clad its body in an armor of ice, made by freezing moisture in the air.
Y It can instantly freeze moisture in the atmosphere. It uses this power to freeze its foes.

Glalie doesnt learn Freeze Dry. Despite its Pokedex entries above making that move make perfect sense.
The Elite Four member uses a Glalie that knows Freeze-Dry, and it's notable that Glalie is one of the few 'mons whose level-up movepool is blocked in the demo.

Nothing's confirmed but it has a higher-than-zero chance of happening.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Well it would be absolutely fantastic if mega glalie got freeze-dry b/c ice/ground coverage does not hit bulky waters, which make them its primary counters as of now.
Also, unlike mamoswine, mega glalie actually has a respectable 120 base special attack so this may even be able to dent the bulkier waters liek crocune (before cm ofc), azu, and slowbro.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Doesn't Freeze Dry hit Rotom-W super effectively or am I missing something?
It does, but the calculator is bugged and thinks Freeze-Dry is NVE against Water-types. I believe it will at least 2HKO even if Glalie is uninvested.

Sp.D varients of Ferrothorn still beat Latios even with HP Fire on the switch as long as Ferrothorn has Protect and still has leftovers, but yeah, Mega Pidgeot seems kind of bad.

On a completely different note, are there any counters or even actual switch ins to mega Lopunny? I absolutely hate the concept of the shitfest of power creep that is ORAS and this might be the generation where I take a massive break, but still I'm kind of curious to know because I can't really think of any.
Physically defensive Hippo, Skarmory, and Clefable can all deal with it fairly easily; Mega Aerodactyl is an okay offensive answer, being able to run a Jolly nature to outspeed and then invest in enough bulk to comfortably take 1 HJK and ohko with Aerial Ace. Klefki is also a niche option, being able to set up a Reflect and then 2hko with Play Rough or Dazzling Gleam from behind the Reflect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)