Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Weak to EQ though, and you already have Tenta. Bronzong would be better probably due to Levitate.
Incorporate Def Landorus-T as has been aforementioned. I think Doublade would be great in general as it checks some of the most terrifying wallbreakers in OH i.e. MegaGarde, Megacham, and MegaHera

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, obviously some problematic Pokemon to stall are still going to be problematic, but thankfully there are many good choices to cover Mega Gardevoir, such as Jirachi, Victini, Doublade, and SpD Talonflame (appreciates the lack of SR and provides some offensive pressure). Also TURBODERP, Lando-T is indeed a good partner, you can cover the Mega Gardy weakness with other stuff so no prob. Oh and Chansey is a an ok soft check to Mega Gardevoir, as long as i's not CM.

I'll definitely have to try some of these megas out for myself, some of them really stand out as strong. Mega Metagross in particular looks to be exceptionally strong. I'm thinking it might bump up to OU, or BL at least.
It's the perfect storm. A Pokemon that can punch holes in the opposing team, tank multiple hits with its 80/150/110 defenses and beastly defensive typing, and do it all really fast. It's certainly worth giving up a Banded or Life Orb set for, seeing how it gains those defense and speed buffs on top of hitting like a truck to begin with.
Call me biased (Metagross is my favorite Pokemon, after all), but I seriously think this mega evolution might be just what Metagross needs to get a second chance in OU.

Last edited:
I'm actually interested to see if M-Metagross can run bulky sets/act as a tank of sorts. No reliable recovery hurts a lot, but a truckload of useful resists means that he'd probably compliment some defensive cores really well, and thanks to Tough Claws and that massive Attack stat, even with little investment it'll hit pretty hard.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Noivern has infiltrator. That's why it's used for checking mega mence.
This...

Choice locking Greninja doesn't seem like the best idea as Protean is one of his big pro's and that is pretty much stopped by choice locking him (ofc. you still have STAB, but still...)
...and also this. Against anything other than Salamence, at least Scarf Noivern has a really high BP move to toss around in Draco Meteor. Greninja without a life orb or the ability to use its amazing coverage to hit basically the entire tier with a SE hit is a pretty sad sight.

Anyhow, I've been messing around with a MixMence team that I've been enjoying. Haven't had much chance to ladder, but it has been pretty fun. Using MixMence with Frustration/EQ/Draco Meteor/Fire Blast to lure defensive walls and dent or KO them, and Sand Rush Excadrill and CB Dragonite (bla bla Nite on a sand team I know) to clean up afterwards. 208 EVs in SpA give me an OHKO on Skarmory with Fire Blast assuming it has Sturdy broken and let it hit Slowbro/Hippo/etc. hard with Draco Meteor, while the remaining in attack means that Frustration still hurts.

I threw it together pretty quickly just to give MixMence a try, but it has honestly been pretty fun. Definitely has some flaws, and I might spend some time reworking it once I've played around sufficiently with all of ORAS' new toys, but in the meantime it's been a blast to play, and convinces me that MixMence can actually be decent this gen (if not as terrifying as the bulky DD set).

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Serious Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I'm actually interested to see if M-Metagross can run bulky sets/act as a tank of sorts. No reliable recovery hurts a lot, but a truckload of useful resists means that he'd probably compliment some defensive cores really well, and thanks to Tough Claws and that massive Attack stat, even with little investment it'll hit pretty hard.
Well, I'm actually interested to see if Megagross can pull off a sweeping set this generation. It certainly has a reliable speed tier for it, and Tough Claws + STAB boosted Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt coming off of 145 base Attack just knocks it clean out of the park as far as damage output goes. It can also take some hits while it's going with a little investment, especially on the physical side.

So I've recently, whilst constructing a team, composed what I think is definitely the most optimal Mega Sceptile set.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
ability: Overgrow -> Lightning Rod
item: Sceptilite
evs: 136 Atk / 166 SpA / 208 Spe
nature: Rash

Leaf Storm is for obvious nuking reasons, Dpulse is also there for blatant reasons, EQ is for Heatran and Steel-types in general, and HP Fire is for Steel-types that don't care about EQ such as Skarm, Ferro, and Scizor. 136 Attack evs is juuuust enough to guarantee an OHKO on Heatran with EQ after Stealth Rock damage. 166 SpA with a Rash Nature seems odd, as most people run 252 SpA with Naive Nature. However, 166 SpA evs with a positive SpA Nature hits harder than 252 SpA EVs with a neutral SpA Nature and it opens up the opportunity for more ev investment elsewhere. 208 Spe hits 377 Speed, which is enough to always outspeed Greninja(unless it's scarfed but LOL scarfed gren). I initally was using 252 SpA evs and 120 Speed evs with a positive Speed Nature as that also hit 377 Speed and I though 252 SpA evs was optimal. Subsequently, it became an eventuality that I would realize taking away 88 evs from my SpA investment and putting them onto Speed would allow me to outspeed Greninja without a positive Speed Nature anyways, and then the remaining SpA evs in conjunction with a positive SpA Nature enable me to hit even harder than max SpA investment, neutral SpA Nature. Lastly, I choose Rash over Mild because Mega Sceptile already exhibits an inferior Defense stat to its SpD stat, and Rash relatively balances out its defenses with this set achieving 186 Defense and 185 Special Defense.

Last edited:
Well, I'm actually interested to see if Megagross can pull off a sweeping set this generation. It certainly has a reliable speed tier for it, and Tough Claws + STAB boosted Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt coming off of 145 base Attack just knocks it clean out of the park as far as damage output goes. It can also take some hits while it's going with a little investment, especially on the physical side.
Oh, he definitely can. Lots of sets have been posted and jesus christ he hurts like hell. Yes, 4MSS is a thing, but Megagross can wallbreak or sweep quite effectively.

Plus Tough Claws+Grass Knot+some SpA investment 2HKOs or OHKOs things like Hippowdown, Slowbro, etc.

I'll definitely have to try some of these megas out for myself, some of them really stand out as strong. Mega Metagross in particular looks to be exceptionally strong. I'm thinking it might bump up to OU, or BL at least.
It's the perfect storm. A Pokemon that can punch holes in the opposing team, tank multiple hits with its 80/150/110 defenses and beastly defensive typing, and do it all really fast. It's certainly worth giving up a Banded or Life Orb set for, seeing how it gains those defense and speed buffs on top of hitting like a truck to begin with.
Call me biased (Metagross is my favorite Pokemon, after all), but I seriously think this mega evolution might be just what Metagross needs to get a second chance in OU.
Mega metagross will be OU, there's no doubt about that. It'll probably end up in the higher ranks like A+ or maybe S. I'm glad so many people like mega metagross because as you said it's what metagross needs to be a strong OU contender once again. I just wish his two best STABS (MM and zen headbutt) weren't prone to missing. -.-

Most people seem to be impressed more with the bulky DD and mixed sets over the offensive DD mega-mence set. And I don't blame them as those two are amazing sets...amongst its many effective sets. However, I've been playing around with the offensive DD mence for hyper-offensive teams with dual-screen support, and it is amazing. I've simply used the old DPP team with the dual screen but with mega mence over salamence (regular). And it's been going well.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/team-mighty-morphin-power-rangers.65744/

Just wanted to say what people's impression over the "unpopular" offensive DD set.

I still see Beedrill as having enough usage to at least make OU or BL. I've used it almost my whole time running the new stuff. He scares fairies to death, so if you need something to deal with them and can do a decent job at late game cleaning hit him up. He seems team up pretty well with Skarm, Lando-T, and Greninja. I think megagross is probably right behind mence and slowbro for that most awesome mega spot. He hits so hard and really benitted from the speed and bulk boosts

k so i want to extend my gratitude to alexwolf for this beautiful innovation (fuck chansey though), first stall team i've actually enjoyed using in a while:

Sableye @ Sableite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Protect

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

will add explanations later but damn son this is fine

^ok fuck this shit, here's a better version for the time being:

Sableye @ Sableite
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 184 HP / 220 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

DISCLAIMER: i made this on my phone whilst poopin and have had little time to test, so if you see any major issues go ahead and point them out (as i test i'll be making changes anyway(likemefuckinguptheclefspread))

Last edited:
been playing oras ou on showdown a bit. about a 1200+ rating and building but porygon2 has got to be one of the best megamence counters out there. max def with thunder wave, recover, ice beam, thunderbolt. shuts down all the birdspam teams it's awesome. also tanks any move from mega sceptile and ice beams back.

porygon2 back to ou in oras!

Yeah, P2 is an awesome mence counter. As opposed to thunderbolt, use discharge unless you have a particular KO you'd miss. I also add foul play to take care of Beedrill-mega. Even better, you at least hit MMeta for SE damage which otherwise would have it's way with you.

Edit: Something went terribly wrong with this message and I didn't see it until now.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Out of sheer Boredom I decided to post That Keldgross core I mentioned earlier.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: lolJustified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

(PRETEND THIS IS MEGA)
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body --> Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

So these two guys compliment each other almost perfectly. Sub CM Keldeo is actually really underrated right now, and the great thing is that he can set up on almost all of Metagross's Checks / counters. Skarm, Mandibuzz, Mega Sableye, Mega Scizor, and Bisharp all lose to Keldeo easily, allowing the Pony to get up a free sub and potentially start setting up for a sweep. Of course, those things that wall Keldeo like the Latis, Venu / Amoonguss, and any fairy type bar azu are shredded apart by Megagross, which allows them to form a devastating offensive core. Specs is an option for Keldeo if setting up isnt your thing, but being choice locked may not be very ideal. idk. Personal preference.

Anyways, theres bound to be mons that give this core trouble, and those mons include the likes of Talonflame, Azumarill, Mega Sceptile, and Greninja (sometimes. Keldeo doesnt gaf if Ninja lacks Exrasensory / GK). Rotom-W makes an excellent teammate, as he handles all the aforementioned threat bar Sceptile, which can be handled by numerous other things such as Talonflame. Of course, no matter what you do, Mega tablemence shreks this core, but it shreks everything so it doesnt matter. Try this core out. Its good.

k so i want to extend my gratitude to alexwolf for this beautiful innovation (fuck chansey though), first stall team i've actually enjoyed using in a while:

Sableye @ Sableite
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Protect

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

Sableye @ Sableite
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 188 Def / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

DISCLAIMER: i made this on my phone whilst poopin and have had little time to test, so if you see any major issues go ahead and point them out (as i test i'll be making changes anyway(likemefuckinguptheclefspread))
Thought I recognized that team. Just fought MrCookiePants using this team, and I've gotta admit, if it weren't for some timely hax I should have lost. It was actually fairly difficult to break through. I was actually thinking of using it myself, but decided to contiue with my mLop team. mSableye didn't get to do much, but that clefable. . .

Thought I recognized that team. Just fought MrCookiePants using this team, and I've gotta admit, if it weren't for some timely hax I should have lost. It was actually fairly difficult to break through. I was actually thinking of using it myself, but decided to contiue with my mLop team. mSableye didn't get to do much, but that clefable. . .
which version of the team, bc the first one (with the sprites) was built really hastily and has a bunch of weaknesses (which I *mostly* fixed in the second one) but yeah don't use the first one it's pretty bad, rachi + lando helps out way more than talon + zong ever did... chesnaught already handles sand so zong basically did nothing jirachi couldn't do besides excel at killing momentum, and def lando was added so the team isn't 6-0'd by zard-x and birdspam. haven't had a lot of time to test so feel free to play around with the sets and/or change shit entirely

Last edited:

Sableye @ Sableite
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Protect

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

Sableye @ Sableite
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 184 HP / 220 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed

This team is cute and all, but what switches into Greninja? Tentacruel gets an Extrasensory or Dark Pulse flinched to death.

This team is cute and all, but what switches into Greninja? Tentacruel gets an Extrasensory or Dark Pulse flinched to death.
nothing really, but i'd rather not auto-lose to sableye so i'd personally avoid chansey. i'd say swap clefable for sylveon (even though it's worse) but dat gunk shot. ninja's brutal atm.

SpD Rachi checks it. Gren rarely runs Dpulse now that Aegis is gone, and HP Fire does sweet FA despite being SE.
EDIT: I just realized that SpD Wish+Protect Iron Head and SR isn't the set youre using, I would recommend that for beating gren tbh

i'd say body slam it and hax it to death but that's not what you'd call reliable and/or recommended so idk man

also AM they deleted my rate of your team. rude

I guess you could replace something with Empoleon at the cost of being weak to a ton of shit

Last edited:
Reactions: AM
I still see Beedrill as having enough usage to at least make OU or BL. I've used it almost my whole time running the new stuff. He scares fairies to death, so if you need something to deal with them and can do a decent job at late game cleaning hit him up. He seems team up pretty well with Skarm, Lando-T, and Greninja. I think megagross is probably right behind mence and slowbro for that most awesome mega spot. He hits so hard and really benitted from the speed and bulk boosts
Yeah, mega beedrill has very scary stats, the bane of existence for fairies, and good coverage on some common steels, though it's walled to hell and back by skarmory. Magnezone would make a good teammate. Unfortunately defense evs are required to survive bullet punches and aqua jets, so that would make it considerably slower. It has a lot of potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)