Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
mega Steelix is almost complete trash...but it still has niches.
The most obvious is that pair it in doubles with Hippo/TTar and then spam EQ. Although since this is OU, I guess that won't apply.

Honestly I don't think many people will use mega Steelix, as all the OP megas *cough* mence *cough* will be used until they are banned...

But I guess the best thing you can do with it so that it actually has a niche over mega Aggron is to run a Sand team supporter set. Somehow steelix doesn't get TWave and its ability is obviously worse than mega Aggron's without sand, so you need to find what you can do with it. I guess Steelix could be a bulky sand setter on sand teams alongside TTar, but with TTar+Exca+Steelix you're just asking to get run over by Conk not to mention a ton of weaknesses you stack. Still, Steelix can run something like SR/Sandstorm/Earthquake/Gyro Ball, or opt for something more team-supporting like Roar in the last slot. I personally wouldn't do that though, as you need both STAB moves to hit hard, as Sand Force is going to be what you use to hit harder than stuff like mega Aggron. Also, a bonus is that your pre-mega evo ability is Sturdy, allowing you guaranteed SR/Sandstorm if you really need it.

Lati@s stand out as pretty obvious partners as they can Defog and take on Zard-Y, non Ice Punch mega Swampert, Lando-I, Rotom-W and Keldeo, who are big problems for Steelix and sand. Meanwhile, mega Steelix trolls stuff like Bisharp, Weavile, fairies(mega Altaria), Scizor and mega Beedrill.

I still really can't see mega Steelix making the cut for OU tho...too many other good megas out there that give it tough competition
Thank you so much for trying to lead the conversation away from glalie.

Anyway, what happened to those old megas? I don't believe zard x will be nearly as dominant because of the new base 110s, and pinsir is basically the same as megamence except a bit more powerful and slower and has priority. Some people have been using mega aero as a check to all of these new megas, specifically mence.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Thank you so much for trying to lead the conversation away from glalie.

Anyway, what happened to those old megas? I don't believe zard x will be nearly as dominant because of the new base 110s, and pinsir is basically the same as megamence except a bit more powerful and slower and has priority. Some people have been using mega aero as a check to all of these new megas, specifically mence.
Zard X will still be dominant come ORAS. There's only a couple of new things that give it a problem like M-Slowbro but what you'll see now is more dedicated answers to this and others on Zard X teams. The speed creep of ORAS in terms of megas and offense can be annoying for Zard-X but that's never stopped it from dominating in an offensive meta anyways. It's being overshadowed by things like M-Mence, the hype of new stuff as well so that's one factor that may make it seem not as viable as it is in XY. Considering this is more of test phase than an actual concrete meta, it'll balance when that time eventually comes and the unviable stuff won't be seen or at least seen rarely while the obvious viable megas will implement themselves and establish the meta. So all in all Zard X will still be a threat so have an answer to it.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
IMO, Glalie is not pretty good in HazardSetting, but very good in Stallbreaking. A simple Set of Double Edge, Earthquake, Taunt and Freeze Dry/Explosion with 252 Atk+/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe destroys Stall. Status&Co is crippled by Taunt and Skarm, Bro and co...

0 SpA Mega Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Slowbro: 212-252 (53.8 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 151-178 (45.2 - 53.2%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mega Glalie Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 432-512 (112.2 - 132.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 349-412 (54.3 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Charizard: 324-382 (90.2 - 106.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Mega Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 168-198 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Audino: 162-192 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- 34% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Sableye: 163-193 (53.6 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Mega Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 504-592 (127.9 - 150.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 222-264 (61.8 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

HO can not switch in safely

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 183-216 (63.9 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 144-170 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

There are only a few things that counter this thing, MScizor is probably the best. With SR and Wishsupport, MGlalie is IMO pretty good, even if Mence, Gross and co. are a bit better. And srsly, the Movepool is not THAT bad, Freeze Dry, EQ, Double Edge/Return/Body Slam, Taunt, Explosion and probably Crunch is all you need (ok, Close Combat, Flare Blitz and Shell Smash wouldnt be bad, but srsly). I think MGlalie is going to be a pretty good UU Mega and a good Stallbreaker in OU.
Are you running 252 atk / 4 def / 252 speed naughty with double edge/eq/freeze dry/boom or spikes? That actually looks worth testing!

mega Steelix is almost complete trash...but it still has niches.
The most obvious is that pair it in doubles with Hippo/TTar and then spam EQ. Although since this is OU, I guess that won't apply.

Honestly I don't think many people will use mega Steelix, as all the OP megas *cough* mence *cough* will be used until they are banned...

But I guess the best thing you can do with it so that it actually has a niche over mega Aggron is to run a Sand team supporter set. Somehow steelix doesn't get TWave and its ability is obviously worse than mega Aggron's without sand, so you need to find what you can do with it. I guess Steelix could be a bulky sand setter on sand teams alongside TTar, but with TTar+Exca+Steelix you're just asking to get run over by Conk not to mention a ton of weaknesses you stack. Still, Steelix can run something like SR/Sandstorm/Earthquake/Gyro Ball, or opt for something more team-supporting like Roar in the last slot. I personally wouldn't do that though, as you need both STAB moves to hit hard, as Sand Force is going to be what you use to hit harder than stuff like mega Aggron. Also, a bonus is that your pre-mega evo ability is Sturdy, allowing you guaranteed SR/Sandstorm if you really need it.

Lati@s stand out as pretty obvious partners as they can Defog and take on Zard-Y, non Ice Punch mega Swampert, Lando-I, Rotom-W and Keldeo, who are big problems for Steelix and sand. Meanwhile, mega Steelix trolls stuff like Bisharp, Weavile, fairies(mega Altaria), Scizor and mega Beedrill.

I still really can't see mega Steelix making the cut for OU tho...too many other good megas out there that give it tough competition
max hp/max defense mega steelix has the ability to completely wall mega metagross while 2HKOing with EQ.
252+ Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 102-120 (28.8 - 33.8%) -- 0.8% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 186-218 (51 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

it completely walls mega altarias physical set and KOs with gyro ball.
252+ Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 82-98 (23.1 - 27.6%) -- 76.6% chance to 4HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (111 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 270-318 (92.7 - 109.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

gyro ball is a OHKO after a single dragon dance while a +1 EQ does 41% on a max damage roll.

and it obliterates mega tyranitar(the dd set) with gyro ball because of sand force.
mega steelix OHKOs the standard max speed dd t-tar when it is only at +1 speed.
+1 252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 166-196 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Sand Force Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 356-422 (104.3 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

both mega beedrill and glalie are walled by it.
252+ Atk Mega Beedrill Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 82-98 (23.1 - 27.6%) -- 76.6% chance to 4HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Beedrill: 396-466 (146.1 - 171.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 102-121 (28.8 - 34.1%) -- 2.5% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (128 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Glalie: 402-474 (133.5 - 157.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

steelix can even beat mega sharpedo 1 v 1.
252+ Atk Mega Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 116-140 (32.7 - 39.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Sharpedo: 175-207 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

mega steelix does have niches that it can fulfill. whether people want to use it or not is the question.

Last edited:
max hp/max defense mega steelix has the ability to completely wall mega metagross while 2HKOing with EQ.
252+ Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 102-120 (28.8 - 33.8%) -- 0.8% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mega Metagross: 186-218 (51 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

it completely walls mega altarias physical set and KOs with gyro ball.
252+ Atk Mega Altaria Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 82-98 (23.1 - 27.6%) -- 76.6% chance to 4HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (111 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Altaria: 270-318 (92.7 - 109.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

gyro ball is a OHKO after a single dragon dance while a +1 EQ does 41% on a max damage roll.

and it obliterates mega tyranitar(the dd set) with gyro ball because of sand force.
mega steelix OHKOs the standard max speed dd t-tar when it is only at +1 speed.
+1 252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 166-196 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Sand Force Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 356-422 (104.3 - 123.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

both mega beedrill and glalie are walled by it.
252+ Atk Mega Beedrill Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 82-98 (23.1 - 27.6%) -- 76.6% chance to 4HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Beedrill: 396-466 (146.1 - 171.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 102-121 (28.8 - 34.1%) -- 2.5% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Gyro Ball (128 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Glalie: 402-474 (133.5 - 157.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

steelix can even beat mega sharpedo 1 v 1.
252+ Atk Mega Sharpedo Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Steelix: 116-140 (32.7 - 39.5%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
4 Atk Mega Steelix Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Sharpedo: 175-207 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

mega steelix does have niches that it can fulfill. whether people want to use it or not is the question.
The thing is you really shouldn't be using it as a wall; Aggron clearly outclasses it in this category with a better typing and a much better ability for such a thing, and handles everything there you've shown easier. Steelix only really has an electric immunity over it in regards to walling which uh... have fun trolling volt switchers I guess? If you're using Mega Steelix it's for what it has over Mega Aggron, which is it's offensive potential. So don't waste it investing fully in physical walling.

The thing is you really shouldn't be using it as a wall; Aggron clearly outclasses it in this category with a better typing and a much better ability for such a thing, and handles everything there you've shown easier. Steelix only really has an electric immunity over it in regards to walling which uh... have fun trolling volt switchers I guess? If you're using Mega Steelix it's for what it has over Mega Aggron, which is it's offensive potential. So don't waste it investing fully in physical walling.
both mega steelix and mega aggron have advantages over eachother. unlike aggron, steelix has a STAB EQ. so while aggron takes less damage from SE attacks because of filter, steelix actually kills off threats such as metagross with 2 EQs while aggron takes 3 EQs to do so.

fully defensive sets on both mons are perfectly viable.

So I think I found a decent way to use Glalie, and it's wall breaking with its explosion+spikes. There is actually a benefit to dying, because it gives a free switch in. That's important, because if you're trying to wear down something like a Mega Metagross so your Talonflame can sweep more easily, you can force it out right after the explosion without giving it a chance to heal, and then, hopefully on the next switchin it will switch into spikes and be hanging on by the skin of its teeth. So ideally you would pair Glalie with pokemon who appreciate common Ice resists being worn down.

Either that, or of course Explosion straight up kills something, which is nice too. It's kind of hard to predict, but if you think the opponent will just sac their 20% health mon to take the explosion, that's an opportunity for more spikes.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
So I think I found a decent way to use Glalie, and it's wall breaking with its explosion+spikes. There is actually a benefit to dying, because it gives a free switch in. That's important, because if you're trying to wear down something like a Mega Metagross so your Talonflame can sweep more easily, you can force it out right after the explosion without giving it a chance to heal, and then, hopefully on the next switchin it will switch into spikes and be hanging on by the skin of its teeth. So ideally you would pair Glalie with pokemon who appreciate common Ice resists being worn down.

Either that, or of course Explosion straight up kills something, which is nice too. It's kind of hard to predict, but if you think the opponent will just sac their 20% health mon to take the explosion, that's an opportunity for more spikes.
Super Fang, Earthquake, Explosion, Spikes. I made a mention of it in the Glalie thread but Super Fang literally has no opportunity cost outside of losing a bit of consistency. Nothing wants to switch in and automatically lose half their HP. Bulky Offense and archetypes that fall within or below the general speed threshold are crippled by this. If Explosion wasn't going to KO you initially it sure as hell will after Super Fang unless you're a x4 resist like Heatran. Also you want to save Explosion for when it's necessary. Don't just stack and go boom or just sack it at really arbitrary times. I've seen people do this and I just don't get it at all. People try to make Glalie this stand alone thing where it really shines when paired with either offensive or bulky offensive partners. It's more like a glue to certain cores of offense than anything and as such should be treated as a component of the team not a stand alone thing.

Edit: Has anyone built a solid M-Steelix core? I know some people like Tokyo tom has tested it out but I actually haven't seen it in practice yet.

I'm using my Glalie as a wallbreaker because ice is an AMAZING offensive type:
[URL='http://pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/File:Keldeo_Resolute_Forme_XY.gif'][URL='http://es.pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Archivo:Bisharp_XY.gif'][URL='http://hiromoti.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/08/15/103324'][URL='http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140201152044/pokemon/images/7/78/Raikou_XY.gif'][URL='http://es.pokemon.wikia.com/wiki/Archivo:Latios_XY.gif'][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt/Spikes
- Double-Edge/Return
- Explosion
- Earthquake

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

so basically, voltturn to get glalie in safely, fire off a retardedly powerful double-edge/return or set up a layer of spikes, and when the time comes, go boom. if you're using the spikes glalie, you may be wondering why i have latios. latios is mainly here to defog until rocks are down indefinitely, and at which point glalie sets up spikes. after that, wear down the opposing team to the point where bisharp/keldeo/raikou can clean up.

Started using Mega Latias after seeing Joey use it (because I'm unoriginal and bad at the game) and the thing is unbelievable. The sub/cm/roost/stored power set can set up against so many things. It's almost as good as M-Mence and I highly doubt we'll be seeing it for long.

Because you don't use Glalie only for spikes. Double Edge smashes even resists hard(Azu is 2HKOed) and you can also use body slams over Double Edge for less power, but having the ability to cripple switch-ins that can normally take one(only one though) Double Edge such as Keldeo and Greninja. IceSTAB+EQ coverage is extremely good too. Glalie also has access to priority which, although not being Refrigirate boosted, is still very helpful as all priority is and it is STAB nonetheless. Lastly, the Glalie's trademark Explosion is horrifyingly powerful.
252 Atk Life Orb Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 175-207 (58.1 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I calced that against MEGA Metagross that has 150 base Defense. People complain about it being too hard to bring in. You could say the same about Mega Medicham too, yet my most successful Mega Medicham team enables Mega Medicham to come in ample times with Lando-Wash VoltTurn, and all it takes is a simple double switch as well, a basic tactic for maintaining momentum. A well played Mega Glalie is very threatening as its immense power and STAB Refrigirate Explosion all most all ways ensures it will do more damage to the enemy team than it takes for it to go down.
Glalie cannot hold Life Orb while holding its Mega Stone. It is strong enough though, to dent things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, which are close to being OHKOd.

im kinda surprised how crunch gyarados isn't talked about more. i heard this guy wrecks now with crunch or at least improves mega gyarados. Has anyone tried this yet and see if crunch makes any difference at all (what i mean is, is mega gyarados scarier and stronger now with a high bp dark STAB move) ? I would assume yes but there's literally no talk about it,, lol. I would try for myself but I barely got time for showdown because fuck studying for exams .

edit; calced against ferro:

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 165-195 (46.8 - 55.3%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 90-106 (25.5 - 30.1%) -- 29.3% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

not max def, but the calc tells me it's the standard spread for it, so ye. lol.

Last edited:
Mega Latias is totally insane even without stored power. With max defensive it takes hits as well as dedicated physical walls and after one CM even greninja has trouble 2HKO'ing with ice beam. Just pair it with mag and remove scizor and ferro and you're good to go. It sets up all over 3/4 of the meta, I thought it was too good before I realised it got stored power. With sub and stored power it's a whole other monster. It's so easy to just set up and sweep teams lol just remove dark types and win.

It's not like this is a surprise though, tons of people had one look at the stats when they were realised way back and just thought "too good". 120 defence, 140 special attack, 150 special defence, 110 speed. God-like stats.
It's a shame her brother didn't get the same magical mega treatment. :(

Glalie cannot hold Life Orb while holding its Mega Stone. It is strong enough though, to dent things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, which are close to being OHKOd.
I had a Life Orb and set Explosion to Ice-type to simulate Refrigirate and, of course, I changed the base Atk stat to 120.

Alright, so Dugtrio has to be one of the most improved 'mons with transitions in to this new metagame. Just take a look of all the new Megas that benefit from its support. In XY, Offensive Mega Venusaur and SD Talonflame were the only beneficiaries. Now, in addition to these: Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, Mega Glalie, Mega Altaria, and finally Mega Pidgeot benefit from its support which are all really solid additions to ORAS (MegaMence was broken anyways lol). Now, Heatran and Tyranitar are becoming even more popular in this ladder infested with them along with Chansey's usage going up. It can go around killing these and spread a nasty Toxic status to Rotom-W on the switch which will be like the main switch in when the Stone Edge bait of some random Flying-type like Thundurus-I. Finally, MegaMence and Pidgeot BirdSPAM become really powerful.

Speaking of Mega Pidgeot, it faces competition with Mega Salamence, but once this crap leaves, it will be solid AF. It has Hurricanes that 2HKO the whole unresisted metagame, and Heat Wave for coverage. Dugtrio removes Tyranitar + Heatran, and you come back in to SPAM again. Hidden Power [Grass] and U-turn for obvious coverage. I was really impressed, but with Mega Salamence, it faces immense competition to be considered outside of early metagame testing like Flygon v. Garchomp debate.

Overall, Dugtrio is so much better in ORAS, and i would bump it to C+ / B- when the V4 of the viability ranking thread, but that is not the purpose of this post. The metagame is 10x more kind to it.

The return of dragon dance latios?
Mega Latios is actually a pretty good DDer. It fits right into the Tyranitar/Char-X/Gyara bulky DD group, being the fastest of the group and the having ability to use Hidden Power to nail regular switch-ins. I've used Dragon Claw/Earthquake/HP Fire/Dragon Dance and Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Roost/Dragon Dance to decent success lately. Not great, but very legit. It has to worry about Scarfers a lot less than any other Mega DDer out there, and it's typing allows it to set-up on a decent amount of things. The only downside is the meta is so Ice Shard filled right now because of Mence.

atm scizor is probably the current best of the xy megas

everyone's hype for all this new shit but half of em get rekt by mega scizor, depending on the set it totally shits on beedrill, m diancie, non hp fire metagross/sceptile, glalie, and if it gets a sd up the frailer megas just die. scizor is the new bb jesus

Breloom is a really good partner to Mega Latias. It handles a lot of dark types the standard (and by standard I mean "the one Joey used") set can't touch.

Breloom is a really good partner to Mega Latias. It handles a lot of dark types the standard (and by standard I mean "the one Joey used") set can't touch.
Yeah, Keldeo and Lucario are probably your best options on more offensive teams aside from Breloom. I've found pokemon like Cobalion, Chesnaught and Infernog (Impish Slack Off Infernape) are more consistent in my experience.

Last edited:
Alright, so Dugtrio has to be one of the most improved 'mons with transitions in to this new metagame. Just take a look of all the new Megas that benefit from its support. In XY, Offensive Mega Venusaur and SD Talonflame were the only beneficiaries. Now, in addition to these: Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, Mega Glalie, Mega Altaria, and finally Mega Pidgeot benefit from its support which are all really solid additions to ORAS (MegaMence was broken anyways lol). Now, Heatran and Tyranitar are becoming even more popular in this ladder infested with them along with Chansey's usage going up. It can go around killing these and spread a nasty Toxic status to Rotom-W on the switch which will be like the main switch in when the Stone Edge bait of some random Flying-type like Thundurus-I. Finally, MegaMence and Pidgeot BirdSPAM become really powerful.

Speaking of Mega Pidgeot, it faces competition with Mega Salamence, but once this crap leaves, it will be solid AF. It has Hurricanes that 2HKO the whole unresisted metagame, and Heat Wave for coverage. Dugtrio removes Tyranitar + Heatran, and you come back in to SPAM again. Hidden Power [Grass] and U-turn for obvious coverage. I was really impressed, but with Mega Salamence, it faces immense competition to be considered outside of early metagame testing like Flygon v. Garchomp debate.

Overall, Dugtrio is so much better in ORAS, and i would bump it to C+ / B- when the V4 of the viability ranking thread, but that is not the purpose of this post. The metagame is 10x more kind to it.
don't forget it traps Magnezone too.

Also I want to point out the bulky starmie is fucking good in the meta. This might be an exaggeration to say this, but outside of sand, IMO it's a more staple Rapid Spinner than Exca (Ofc not better offense if using bulky) since it has much more longevity and has the ablity to cripple/wither down many pokemons.
Being able to counter (yes, counter) Mega Metagross while checking or at least significantly withering down a lot of new pokemons like Mega Salamence, Mega Diancie, Mega Glalie, Mega Altaria, Mega Lopunny and Mega Gallade especially if it gets lucky enough to nail a burn or two with Scald. Don't even get me started on the pokemons it can already check, like Landorus-T and Heatran.

It also outspeeds most of the metagame and the megas, with 232 Spe and Timid it sits right above Thundurus, outspeeding the likes of Mega Gallade, Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie, Mega Salamence, Mega Altaria, Lopunny, and Mega Metagross.

i have to say latias is so broken, the stored power set just runs through everything it sets up on everything and is only beaten by dark types like tyranitar and bisharp.. god im so happy this is not used too much!

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178796857
Pretty much agree wholeheartedly here. While I haven't found MLatios to be an issue MLatias on the other hand is an entirely different story, it is stupidly bulky. Most people are sitting on this in favor or MMence but no doubt it is definitely a top tier mega. It is difficult to revenge kill due to its bulk, so yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)