Pokémon Camerupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Mega camerupt has good coverage, high special attack, and sheer force which gives it the highest special attack in ou (charizard y gets drought but that only boosts fire blast whereas sheer force boosts all of camerupt's moves)
- Mega camerupt can rip apart common defensive cores such as venu(non balloon)tran and amoongbro.
- Mega camerupt should be paired with mons that can defeat rotom-w, greninja and chansey.
That's all I could think of now I'll go back and add some later.

I'm not sure why people would use this over Landorus-I? I had a look against Chansey, and Earth Power on LO Landorus-I does exactly the same damage as M-Camerupt's Earth Power. Landorus-I's attack is also higher, so equivalent moves will do more damage in the hands of LO Landorus-I. Plus, the obvious point here is, Landorus has an okay speed tier - so it doesn't have to take hits like M-Camerupt. Even for a TR team, it seems kind of lame.

In terms of weakness, I guess they're on a fairly even keel, both have x4 weaknesses to priority moves (maybe Ice Shard is more common because of Salamence now?). However, personally, I think ground is worse than water in terms of their other weaknesses - most people have a ground move for Heatran.

I'm not sure why people would use this over Landorus-I? I had a look against Chansey, and Earth Power on LO Landorus-I does exactly the same damage as M-Camerupt's Earth Power. Landorus-I's attack is also higher, so equivalent moves will do more damage in the hands of LO Landorus-I. Plus, the obvious point here is, Landorus has an okay speed tier - so it doesn't have to take hits like M-Camerupt. Even for a TR team, it seems kind of lame.

In terms of weakness, I guess they're on a fairly even keel, both have x4 weaknesses to priority moves (maybe Ice Shard is more common because of Salamence now?). However, personally, I think ground is worse than water in terms of their other weaknesses - most people have a ground move for Heatran.
M Camerupt is barely usable but regardless of its flaws people in this thread are going to hype it up like it's top tier OU.

There are basically zero reasons to use this over Landorus. Even fewer reasons to use it over another Mega.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%)

82% the power of Fire Blast but with a stronger 100% accurate Earth Power and MUCH better coverage / speed / typing. The speed is especially important because it means Landorus's checks / counters usually need to endure two hits, where Camerupt's only have to survive one.

Last edited:
M Camerupt is barely usable but regardless of its flaws people in this thread are going to hype it up like it's top tier OU.

There are basically zero reasons to use this over Landorus. Even fewer reasons to use it over another Mega.

252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%)

82% the power of Fire Blast but with a stronger 100% accurate Earth Power and MUCH better coverage / speed / typing. The speed is especially important because it means Landorus's checks / counters usually need to endure two hits, where Camerupt's only have to survive one.
There are plenty of reasons to use it. It hard counters mega man, an increasingly used mon, checks megagross since EQ can't kill, same with most of the megas that were released this time around. It has several merits over lando, bulk, typing is actually pretty good for OU, the power is insane. To say there are 0 reasons is just plain wrong.

Lando-i has worse bulk, has a useless secondary typing, sure it has good coverage and good speed, but that's literally all it's got. If I haven't said this enough, mega camerupt has the ability to stop many threats, like mega manectric, thundurus, raikou, all of which shit all over landorus. Mega camerupt has much higher special attack, and as I mentioned before , it can check lots of threats in just one team slot. It also has decent support moves such as will-o-wisp to cripple physical attackers, and SR to set up on predicted switches. Mega camerupt is also a much better wallbreaker than landorus. Okay, it's slow and there are lots of checks to it, but that's what team mates are for. You shouldn't be comparing mega camerupt to landorus-i, because all they share is a decently strong earth power and sheer force. Mega camerupt wallbreaks much better, hard stops most common electric types in OU, has great bulk and pretty good fire ground rock coverage. If Yamborski you could just go away and stop hating on a certain camel that would be very nice.

You shouldn't be comparing mega camerupt to landorus-i, because all they share is a decently strong earth power and sheer force.
Special attacking sheer force ground type wall breakers. You very much so can compare them.

Mega camerupt wallbreaks much better,
No. Landorus has no counters. The few walls that sorta slow it down get smashed by CM or coverage moves. Camerupt has several hard counters and is slow as fuck.

If any mon had no counters it would broken, lol. Landorus has plenty of counters depending on what set it's running. Every mon has counters, and what's wrong with being slow? Mega mawile is slow? Azumarill is slow for OU standards and has lots of hard counters, so that means it's bad?
I will compare mega scizor and skarmory. Both have 140 defense, both are steel types, and both can act as walls, and both have roost. Yes they are so similar. Scizor is meant to sweep with swords dance most of the time, and skarmory is a hazards setter/hazards remover, and a physical wall.
The truth is, mega camerupt isn't as shit as you make it out to be, and that you should stop being a hater and actually contribute to the discussion, instead of comparing it to mons that are completely different from it.

Last edited:

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
How can Camerupt be outclassed by Lando-I when it has two STABS to work with and Lando only has one? You can't just go ahead and say Lando has better typing as Ice Shard is in my experience more common than Aqua Jet, while also pretty much everything runs Ice Punch or HP Ice. Ok name same counters for mega Camerupt. Basically its just Rotom-W, Lati@s, and maybe BalloonTran who still loses to Ancient Power sets. That is why you have team mates to help beat these mons. You can barely even call Rotom-W a counter since after SR its 2HKO'd by Fire Blast, so you can't switch in more than once. Lando wishes it could fit Earth Power, Sludge Wave, Psychic, Focus Blast, Knock Off, HP Ice all in one set. Without certain moves you are left walled by certain mons. Camerupt needs to only run Earth Power and Fire Blast, and then maybe Ancient Power. Honestly, Camerupt has less counters than Lando-I, because no you can't say that you beat Skarmory, Lati twins, Gliscor, Gyarados, etc because you only have 4 moveslots. Camerupt only needs 2 moveslots to achieve what Lando has trouble doing in 4. Not to mention many other mons have problems switching in cause WoW.

Having no counters does not instantly make a mon better than one with counters. The prime example is BW2 Hydreigon, it had zero counters. However, stuff like Palkia had counters. Ok guyz, Hydreigon for Ubers cause it has no counters!! Camerupt can switch into mega Man, Raikou, and Thund, while Lando gets rekt by HP Ice from all of them. Does it matter if Camerupt is outsped by Raikou at +6? No, because Raikou can't do anything to him if he goes first. Lando neither outspeeds these mons, neither does he have the ability to take a hit from them.

Being slow doesn't matter if you can come in on so many common mons and nuke the switch in. Lando-I has to pick and choose its counters, and then there are a lot more reliable switch ins that can actually switch in more than once.

I'm sorry, but really? Practically any - any - water pokemon (or hell, just something with water coverage) with a base speed greater than 20 will at the very least revenge kill m-Camerupt with little difficulty. You cannot even compare Landorus's counters to the sheer colossal volume of counters that gives m-Camerupt. Look:

252+ SpA Squirtle Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Camerupt: 420-496 (122 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO [don't worry, I've used the mega's stats].

And sure you may say it needs TR, but that's a set-up Camerupt can't even use itself, requiring a standalone TR user and a switch - two wasted turns you don't need to make Landorus-I useful. And sure, water types may not be able to switch in with ease on HP Grass variants, but they can all revenge kill.

I get that "It's part of a team, I would cover those bases" - but don't you think a Landorus-I user would do the same?

I'm not saying m-Camerupt is terrible, but its unequivocally easier to manage than Landorus-I. I also get it's annoying that Landorus can't use its second stab, but it does at least provide it with an immunity, which is extremely handy.

I think Camerupt will shine in lower tiers, like UU or RU. In fact, the camel is not viable in OU because there's a lot of Greninja, Keldeo, Land-T, Rotom-W in the meta.
Despite the huge SpA, its horrible speed stat affects it so much, making it inviable.
Hello are you Yamborski's alt?
Camerupt functions extremely well on trick room, and it can 2HKO all of those pokemon. Just because a pokemon has counters and checks doesn't mean it's no viable in OU. Just take a look at mega mawile. It fits all of those things. It has a monster attack stat, a horrible speed stat, there was lots of sand offense and lando-t and heatran in that meta, so that means it's inviable. Yes and it got banned to ubers because it was inviable.
I'm sorry, but really? Practically any - any - water pokemon (or hell, just something with water coverage) with a base speed greater than 20 will at the very least revenge kill m-Camerupt with little difficulty. You cannot even compare Landorus's counters to the sheer colossal volume of counters that gives m-Camerupt. Look:

252+ SpA Squirtle Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Camerupt: 420-496 (122 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO [don't worry, I've used the mega's stats].

And sure you may say it needs TR, but that's a set-up Camerupt can't even use itself, requiring a standalone TR user and a switch - two wasted turns you don't need to make Landorus-I useful. And sure, water types may not be able to switch in with ease on HP Grass variants, but they can all revenge kill.

I get that "It's part of a team, I would cover those bases" - but don't you think a Landorus-I user would do the same?

I'm not saying m-Camerupt is terrible, but its unequivocally easier to manage than Landorus-I. I also get it's annoying that Landorus can't use its second stab, but it does at least provide it with an immunity, which is extremely handy.
You don't need to state the fact that any water type pokemon can beat camerupt. But I don't think I need to state the fact that most ice shard users beat lando-i too.
Just because a pokemon has lots of checks doesn't mean it's bad, that's what team mates are for. Camerupt also does not need trick room. Trick room is only an added benefit, that allows mega camerupt to sweep. It's supposed to be used as a wallbreaker, punching holes in the opposing team early game, and letting team mates finish off them late game. Yes slow pokemon have more checks than faster pokemon, but camerupt is not meant to be played as a sweeper. It's a wallbreaker.

The point was very obvious: on the basis of speed, m-Camerupt has a hideous number of counters. Even Squirtle. The same is not true of Landorus, it's not even a little true.
Hey, I think you got your definition of counter wrong.
"Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax." - The Smog Issue 32

Almost no water type pokemon can switch in on mega camerupt and avoid a 2HKO from any of it's STABs. Squirtle is OHKOed after stealth rocks by earthpower, thereby making it a check. You also mentioned that mega camerupt has more checks than lando-i, but half of those checks and counters are non ou relevant, and most of them can hardly switch in at all. The only relevant OU checks and counters that I see for mega camerupt in OU: Chansey, azumarill, greninja, rotom-w, mega swampert, mega sharpedo, latias and keldeo. Except for chansey, all those mons are 2HKOed after rocks by the appropriate move. I see alot more counters for lando-i that are OU relevant, mega lopunny running ice punch, weavile, mamoswine, chansey, gliscor, skarmory (non focus blast), azumarill, keldeo, mega sharpedo, mega manectric, thundurus, raikou, greninja, latios and scarf kyu-b.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just because a pokemon has lots of checks doesn't mean it's bad, that's what team mates are for. Camerupt also does not need trick room. Trick room is only an added benefit, that allows mega camerupt to sweep. It's supposed to be used as a wallbreaker, punching holes in the opposing team early game, and letting team mates finish off them late game. Yes slow pokemon have more checks than faster pokemon, but camerupt is not meant to be played as a sweeper. It's a wallbreaker.
All of these things can be said about Landorus-I. In fact, I'd argue it's a better wallbreaker with the CM set - the gold standard of special walls is Chansey, which it has an over 90% chance of 2HKOing after a single boost. Camerupt can't even come close to that. As a stand alone threat against the premier wall, Landorus takes the cake.

Hey, I think you got your definition of counter wrong.
"Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax." - The Smog Issue 32

Almost no water type pokemon can switch in on mega camerupt and avoid a 2HKO from any of it's STABs. Squirtle is OHKOed after stealth rocks by earthpower, thereby making it a check. You also mentioned that mega camerupt has more
Yeah you're right, I didn't use the correct arbitrary nomenclature - I apologise profusely. Does that weaken the argument - nope. Did I clarify what I meant (using the term revenge kill instead of switch in) - yes I did. It must feel great to be so needlessly pedantic all the time.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew

Go look up the definition of counter. You can switch in on ANY move and then force the mon out. Squirtle can only revenge kill Camerupt...besides revenge killers are everywhere in OU, look at Greninja and Talonflame etc. Just because you are revenged by some mon doesn't mean you are bad. Its what a pivot is for. Sure you are forced out by the water pokemon, but just because you are 4x weak to something doesn't mean you are bad, lolz Ferrothorn 4x weak to HP Fire lolz Ferro is bad why is he OU dat sucky speed tho countered by a Charmander

252+ SpA Charmander Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 372-436 (105.6 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So is Ferrothorn really unviable? No, because tanking Fire Blasts isn't his job. And neither is eating Hydro Pumps Camerupt's job. You nuke something, get out when he sends in Greninja and go into your pivot. Also if you have ever actually tried TR, you know that in TR everything is heavily momentum based, and you always run setters that can hit hard themselves. This is why its worth it to sacrifice stuff to get Camerupt in with several turns left, and this is why people use Lunar Dance Cress as a setter because it doesn't kill momentum.

I kind of get the impression you are theorymoning and would strongly suggest you go try out mega Camerupt. If in your battle you KO something, are you going to leave it in on a Keldeo? Try out mega Camerupt with VoltTurn and another sweeper that cleans after holes are punched. You'll be surprised by how useful Camerupt is with team support.

Honestly I don't think Camerupt will be anywhere near RU with things like mega Obama. Camerupt has a miles better typing, better support movepool, and hits like a truck loaded with bricks. 132 mixed attacking stats are nice, but its nothing compared to Sheer Force Fire Blast off 145 SpA. Plus Ice and Grass are pretty bad together offensively, they still leave you walled by steels so you have to use EQ etc. Anyways I'm not going to try to argue about tiering because everything will be messed up with mega Bro and mega Mence for like 2 weeks...

To the people saying "lol camerupt is shit why would you use it over lando-i huh"
Camerupt definitely has advantages over landorus. A better defensive typing for checking lots of physical attackers, better support movepool (will o wisp and SR), the ability to stop common electric types that shit all over lando-i, better bulk, better dual STABs, better offensive typing, is about as strong as lando-i is in terms of wallbreaking, is great on trick room, doesn't have 4MSS (at least not that severe), also camerupt has the bulk to come in on lots of common mons and fire off a strong move at the incoming poke, so that sort of makes up for it's low speed.
Of course lando-i definitely has some merits over camerupt, mainly: it's faster, maybe a little bit better coverage, has good boosting moves (RP and CM), can check some mons that are slower than it, wider movepool. Obviously there are various reasons to use both, but mega camerupt is definitely not outclassed by lando-i.

Look, I really like Mega Camerupt, but I also think it's being overplayed a lot in this thread. I get that this thing hits like a semi, but you need a lot more than raw power to really succeed in OU. One cool perk about Mega Camerupt's bulk and defensive typing is that it lets Camerupt check the Electrics, which is cool, but besides that and obvious stuff like defensive Grass-types, it doesn't switch easily into much else. It has a great Fire resistance, but it can't safely switch into Charizard Y for fear of a 2HKO from Fire Blast (almost guaranteed with Modest or Timid + SR), Heatran for fear of Earth Power, or Talonflame for how hard Brave Bird hits. Fairy resistance is great, but Mega Gardevoir's Psyshock 2HKOs after Stealth Rock while Fire Blast can't OHKO back, Calm Mind Clefable just uses you as setup bait, and Azumarill obviously obliterates Camerupt. It also has no form of recovery, which hinders its ability to take hits over longer periods of time, and it's bulk isn't even that amazing. It's only about as bulky as Keldeo on the special side and slightly less bulky on the physical side, which is good but not amazing.

The really low base speed is a very legitimate problem as well. Solid bulk will only take you so far when you're pretty much forced to always take a hit before actually being able to retaliate. While something like Landorus or Greninja may not be able to take a hit nearly as well as Mega Camerupt, it still has a better shot at actually surviving longer if it can outspeed and KO opponents before they have a chance to hit it rather than having to tank hits before even getting the chance to move. I get that such a low speed stat can be good for Trick Room, but if Trick Room was relevant enough to make a Pokemon really viable, then Mega Abomasnow would at least be ranked in the viability ranking thread, lol.

The other big thing I think that really hurts Mega Camerupt is simply the fact that it's a Mega Pokemon. Face it, with all the new Mega forms that arrived in ORAS, the competition for a Mega slot is tougher than ever. While Mega Camerupt can switch into Electrics really well and hit super hard, there are other Mega Pokemon that can do one or both of those things as well while also offering other substantial perks of their own. For example, Mega Charizard X can also check Electrics decently enough while having an even more powerful nuke in Flare Blitz, better neutral coverage between its STABs, better physical bulk, real speed, and reliable recovery to make up for the lower special bulk and to give it significantly greater longevity. It can also take on things like Bisharp, defensive Mew, and Mega Scizor more effectively thanks to the aforementioned greater physical bulk and speed, not to mention that its double Fire resistance makes it better against Charizard Y.

In its own right, Mega Camerupt is a pretty cool Pokemon, but there's just not a ton of incentive for me to use it over other Mega Pokemon unless I just really wanted to use Mega Camerupt. Hitting really hard and checking Electrics is great and all, but when I can do the same thing with Mega Charizard X or do similar things with other Mega forms along with a number of other advantages, I'm probably going to go with them.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've faced Camerupt in Trick Room and it's a nightmare, 3hkoing Latias with Fire Blast for example. Still underwhelming as fuck outside of TR though, non Rotom-W Electrics and defensive steel types are the only really good switch in opportunities it has. Nobody is running really defensive teams because of all the crazy offensive threats running around right now, so I don't think Camerupt is going to do anything of consequence until the metagame settles a little.

Camerupt is mostly to be used as a wallbreaker, it shouldn't be trying to switch in on strong hits, since it's bulk isn't amazing, but it's bulk is pretty decent. Instead, it should be paired with volt-turners so it can find better switch in opportunities to nuke stuff. Under trick room it can be played as a sweeper, but it should mainly be paired with fast offensive threats to clean up after it's done it's thing. But yes, we'll wait and see what happens to the metagame because as of now everyone is spamming broken shit like mega mence and mega slowbro.

Look, I really like Mega Camerupt, but I also think it's being overplayed a lot in this thread. I get that this thing hits like a semi, but you need a lot more than raw power to really succeed in OU. One cool perk about Mega Camerupt's bulk and defensive typing is that it lets Camerupt check the Electrics, which is cool, but besides that and obvious stuff like defensive Grass-types, it doesn't switch easily into much else. It has a great Fire resistance, but it can't safely switch into Charizard Y for fear of a 2HKO from Fire Blast (almost guaranteed with Modest or Timid + SR), Heatran for fear of Earth Power, or Talonflame for how hard Brave Bird hits. Fairy resistance is great, but Mega Gardevoir's Psyshock 2HKOs after Stealth Rock while Fire Blast can't OHKO back, Calm Mind Clefable just uses you as setup bait, and Azumarill obviously obliterates Camerupt. It also has no form of recovery, which hinders its ability to take hits over longer periods of time, and it's bulk isn't even that amazing. It's only about as bulky as Keldeo on the special side and slightly less bulky on the physical side, which is good but not amazing.

The really low base speed is a very legitimate problem as well. Solid bulk will only take you so far when you're pretty much forced to always take a hit before actually being able to retaliate. While something like Landorus or Greninja may not be able to take a hit nearly as well as Mega Camerupt, it still has a better shot at actually surviving longer if it can outspeed and KO opponents before they have a chance to hit it rather than having to tank hits before even getting the chance to move. I get that such a low speed stat can be good for Trick Room, but if Trick Room was relevant enough to make a Pokemon really viable, then Mega Abomasnow would at least be ranked in the viability ranking thread, lol.

The other big thing I think that really hurts Mega Camerupt is simply the fact that it's a Mega Pokemon. Face it, with all the new Mega forms that arrived in ORAS, the competition for a Mega slot is tougher than ever. While Mega Camerupt can switch into Electrics really well and hit super hard, there are other Mega Pokemon that can do one or both of those things as well while also offering other substantial perks of their own. For example, Mega Charizard X can also check Electrics decently enough while having an even more powerful nuke in Flare Blitz, better neutral coverage between its STABs, better physical bulk, real speed, and reliable recovery to make up for the lower special bulk and to give it significantly greater longevity. It can also take on things like Bisharp, defensive Mew, and Mega Scizor more effectively thanks to the aforementioned greater physical bulk and speed, not to mention that its double Fire resistance makes it better against Charizard Y.

In its own right, Mega Camerupt is a pretty cool Pokemon, but there's just not a ton of incentive for me to use it over other Mega Pokemon unless I just really wanted to use Mega Camerupt. Hitting really hard and checking Electrics is great and all, but when I can do the same thing with Mega Charizard X or do similar things with other Mega forms along with a number of other advantages, I'm probably going to go with them.
This is the realeast thing anyone has ever said since ORAS started. There are things I really would like to stand out in this metagame, and camerupt is one of them. But when the Meta has a wide choice of megas that most of them are gonna stand out over others when you can only choose 1. For all of the roles it needs to fufill there is a better choice out there.

Yes, because camerupt is similar to mega mawile,
Yet you say Landorus isn't comparable to Camerupt. What.

mega camerupt has high s attack, mawile has high attack (so high stats in their respective offensive stats),
Porygon Z and Groudon are similar too I guess.

both are very slow,
While this is no doubt true M Mawile's 50 base speed could feasibly run some investment or even max speed to outpace stuff like Rotom W, Skarmory, M Venu, etc. Even with max speed Camerupt only just barely outruns Conkledurr and Chansey.

Also Mawile has a Sucker Punch that hits with as much force as LO Bisharp's. That's pretty fucking important when you are talking about speed. Mawile can rip through faster Pokemon with it while Camerupt has to suck and die against faster threats.

both have decent defensive and offensive typings,
Fire / Ground is okay but in no way even gets close to Fairy / Steel defensively. Mawile has a significantly better movepool and ability as well.

both are great on trick room,
"Great on Trick Room" is only a selling point for Trick Room teams which are only a step above gimmick. "Great on Trick Room" in general has no place in OU discussion unless the team being used is actually Trick Room... which it usually isn't.

both have good utility moves (mawile has swords dance and sub,
Swords Dance is a setup move and lol everything not in a cocoon or Unown gets Substitute.

camerupt gets w-o-w and SR),
WoW might have some niche uses for fucking incoming Gyarados / Dnite / Mence in one move (no seriously just use Rock Slide) but I don't think Camerupt would want to run Stealth Rocks. It will have like 3 chances to attack per game unless your opponent is retarded. Might as well actually do what Camerupt is good at and nuke stuff, instead of wasting a turn dropping rocks that pretty much half of OU can also do. Mawile also gets Stealth Rocks. So does Landorus. Not like it matters lol.

both were unviable in OU until they got megas.
What does this have to do with anything.

The only things lando-i and camerupt share: the move earth power, the ability sheer force, both are special attackers, both are ground type and both can wallbreak pretty good.
And yet M Mawile is still way more similar? lol.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Damn all those comparisons, turning threads into shit in no time.

Regarding Mega Mawile vs Mega Camerupt, they are not comparable at all even if they hit equally hard against a target with the same defenses, because Mega Mawile is a physical wallbreaker that has zero counters and a godly defensive typing, while also being able to outspeed some defensive Pokemon and has access to a strong as fuck priority move. So yeah, don't compare those two and don't say they have similar power, it's a useless statement that doesn't take into account the actual metagame at all.

Regarding Landorus and Mega Camerupt, they also are also not that comparable. People really like to find common characteristics between two Pokemon and group them together, without the slightest care for the role of each of those Pokemon in the metagame. Landorus is a decently fast hard hitter than can punish most slow Pokemon, set up SR, and lure and weaken Pokemon such as Chansey, Latios, and Latias, while also checking a few Pokemon, such as Mega Heracross and Scarf Excadrill. Mega Camerupt is a hard hitter that hard counters Electric-types not named Rotom-W, some defensive Grass-types, some Steel-types, and Mew (very important), and also has STAB Fire Blast and WoW over Landorus. However, Mega Camerupt is pathetically low and occupies your mega slot, both huge disadvantages. It's obvious that Landrous is overall the better offensive Ground-type, but Camerupt has its own unique advantages.

And that's it. Enough with the faulty comparisons, let's get back to discussing about Mega Camerupt's performance in OU.

Is it worth removing rock slide and stone edge from notable moves in the OP? I briefly discussed it in the ORAS speculation thread but what niche do these two moves have over ancientpower? Is it for SPDEF Rotom-W/Char-Y or something (both of which are currently very rare)?

I guess the only niche rock slide has over ancient power is more PP, that's basically about it lol.
It's just I see varying opinions on the preferential move on multiple sets posted by users but never a comparison between ancient power/Rock slide with calcs as to why. I could understand rock slide vs SPDEF Rotom if it increases because fire blast already allows Camerupt to muscle past the physical one and Rock slide helps chip away at the better counter. I also kind of want to find a reason since I forgot to breed ancientpow onto my shiny one.

In regards to the Lando-I comparison discussion, without wishing to reboot a dead topic, people have missed Lando-I's opportunity cost of not then having Lando-T on the team, the mon with current highest usage in ORAS statistics.

The only small niche rock slide has is hitting volcarona harder at +1?
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Ancient Power vs. +1 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 260-308 (70 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Sheer Force Camerupt Rock Slide vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 340-404 (91.6 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

The only small niche rock slide has is hitting volcarona harder at +1?
252+ SpA Sheer Force Camerupt Ancient Power vs. +1 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 260-308 (70 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Sheer Force Camerupt Rock Slide vs. 240 HP / 252 Def Volcarona: 340-404 (91.6 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
That seems way too niche with Volcarona never seen anymore sadly. I'm considering explosion to lure kill standard Latios and heavily damage Latias who are some of the only hard stops to Camel.

Is it worth removing rock slide and stone edge from notable moves in the OP? I briefly discussed it in the ORAS speculation thread but what niche do these two moves have over ancientpower? Is it for SPDEF Rotom-W/Char-Y or something (both of which are currently very rare)?
It's true, Ancientpower has the same or more damage on virtually all of the targets of Rock Slide. SP Def Talonflame and Charizard Y take almost equal damage from the two while Volcarona, while rare, is 2HKOed even at +2 SP Def by Ancientpower. Ancientpower also does a ton more to Gyarados, Dragonite, and Pinsir (Ancientpower OHKOs while Rock Slide doesn't always so you dont have to risk Fire Blast).

Rock Slide has better PP but worse accuracy. Not really worth it imo unless there is something else it hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)