Serious LGBTQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can say that and the response to the bigot dude was good, but he is still a product of his surroundings and some people somewhere think gay guys are national threats. Let that sink in.

On a side note, I've had this song stuck in my head:

EV

Banned deucer.
You can say that and the response to the bigot dude was good, but he is still a product of his surroundings and some people somewhere think gay guys are national threats. Let that sink in.

On a side note, I've had this song stuck in my head:

Look at my CT and profile status. ;)

Crux

Banned deucer.
music and videos like that, and articles like the one linked a bit earlier, serve only to obfuscate the equally real, constant, but less tangible abuse that constitutes the daily life of non-heterosexuals. they fetishise the kind of easy actions that one can take against visible homophobia without the viewer ever needing to critique their own internalised (if you're not a heterosexual) or "less violent" homophobia (regardless of sexual "identitiy"). they allow "less violent, less visible" homophobic individuals (aka nearly everyone in all of society) to externalise the need to fix bigotry and heterosexist oppression onto other individuals and remove the impetus for their own internal change, while simultaneously ripping autonomy from homosexuals to voice their own experiences. videos like this serve to coopt the voice of the gay movement to speak about only the easier to see, violent homophobia that does not require self or social critique, and marginalises the true extent and ubiquity of heterosexist oppression.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
What a load of bullshit. You think you'll get what you want by demanding perfection from everyone 100% of the time? Criticizing things that advance the cause to any degree even if they are imperfect is the back asswards way to go about achieving what you want. They will not make a magic "I win" video that perfectly depicts all homophobia [or insert oppression here] in its complete and fullest reality. And to go as far as to imply that anything short of such an unattainable standard is working against your cause is to live in a world made only of unreachable goals.

Also these videos are made to use symbolic imagery of tangible oppression to represent the exact ubiquity of oppression that you claim its failing to properly portray since the target audience doesn't have the necessary experience to understand as viscerally the emotions and feelings of those oppressed. In other words, learn to fucking art m8.

Crux

Banned deucer.
Or, certain representations occupy spaces that would otherwise be occupied by better representations, and this particular representation does so in particularly problematic ways, as outlined above. There is limited public space and attention, any art that operates in those spaces detracts from the capacity of other art to occupy those spaces, which would be better spent criticising the things I alluded to in my post. I would also just contest that this in any way further the cause, whatever that is for all the reasons about how individuals react to problems about oppression that I outlined in my post. Everything I said still applies, you don't understand art or public space or interpretation or Queer politics or Queer oppression kindly fuck right off.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
so are people using sex and gender interchangeably? Maybe it's different in other countries but I've never seen a government document about me (drivers license, birth certificate, passport) that's said: gender: male

why would the government ever give a fuck about how I identify myself? I have/was born with a penis, which the government is interested in for the sake of statistics, but I'm pretty sure there's no form anywhere that'll need me to check off the box, "yes I do really like dressing up as a girl"

(real talk tho sundresses or bust)

(uni internet connection required? you tell me)
nah you're good

EV

Banned deucer.
Enjoy the based gods known as the Scissor Sisters
Slowest. Horses. Ever.

Was anyone else getting an "Ambling Alp" vibe from that video? Probably because of the desert and goo-dripping-from-faces scenes.

Also, sorry if it has been posted already, but has anyone here see the Willam Belli and Rhea Litre parody(?) of the Scissor Sister's "Let's Have a KiKi", aptly named "Let's Have a KaiKai"?

EDIT: I guess I should add a disclaimer about the video. I don't know. It's on Youtube, so.

2nd EDIT: On second thought, just look it up. :P

Slowest. Horses. Ever.

Was anyone else getting an "Ambling Alp" vibe from that video? Probably because of the desert and goo-dripping-from-faces scenes.

Also, sorry if it has been posted already, but has anyone here see the Willam Belli and Rhea Litre parody(?) of the Scissor Sister's "Let's Have a KiKi", aptly named "Let's Have a KaiKai"?

EDIT: I guess I should add a disclaimer about the video. I don't know. It's on Youtube, so.

2nd EDIT: On second thought, just look it up. :P
I fucking love Willam, god dammit. <3

Last edited:
I guess i got sort of a question and im not sure if this is the right spot or not but here we go. For starters, I would like to say that i in general feel like a hetero-cisgendered male, however I sometimes am a little confused where i fit gender-wise. (I definitely know where i lie with my sexuality)

I usually dress like a man, keep facial hair, and don't really present myself in a way that would lead anyone to be unable to identify me, however, there are a lot of aspects of masculinity that I reject and generally don't perform and lots of ideas of femininity that I embrace. Some examples are as follows: keeping a thin, slender physique (no desire to be muscular; actually like being "scrawny"), shaving my legs and armpits, wear form fitting clothing, building relationships with friends primarily talking about my feelings (which in turn leads to me keeping more female friends than male), enjoy and prefer stereotypically "feminine activities" such as cooking, sewing, etc. I've even been told by my friends and by significant others that my method of communication is like "a girl" and some people have commented on my language choices (use words like pretty, cute, and other more feminine terms)

I really cant relate to my male friends except on a business/professional level and find a lot of my relationships with men are really shallow and superficial. I hate the super-macho, ego-driven, hypersexual attitudes among men and don't really have a proclivity toward "getting laid" although i wouldn't go as far as to say that I am asexual. While I've never crossdressed, nor do I have a desire to, I wouldn't be embarrassed by the idea of wearing makeup or presenting myself in a more "feminine" way. I definitely feel more male than female, but the less and less I relate to men and the more and more I relate to femininity it does sorta make me question am I just a dude who "has a feminine side" or am I just somewhere on the spectrum toward the middle? Feel free to ask me more questions cause there's probably a lot im missing i just put down what i immediately felt.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The Great Gastly I think you're just going to have to move on. All of high school and most of college was unrequited affection for me so I know the feeling. And it's going to continually happen; you find a guy out in public and you hope to god that he's gay and it turns out he isn't. Just comes with the territory unfortunately, and while I think he'd be flattered to know that you're attracted to him and stuff, I don't think that's a good thing to start a friendship on. You definitely could become friends and divulge to him later that you're definitely attracted to him, but in a friendship you can't become emotionally invested and exhaust yourself on someone you just won't have a chance with.

If you feel it'd be too hard to just be friends without falling harder for him you're gonna have to just not enter that friendship to spare yourself the time and emotional fortitude. This isn't to say that you can't love your friends, but I'd definitely say you shouldn't be /in love/ with your friends.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
GGengar What determines your gender identity (be it cis-male or anything else on the spectrum) is how you feel about yourself, not how you act or whom you chose to associate with or how you feel about anything else. Most of the things we typically associate with masculinity and femininity are cultural constructs, as opposed to inherent traits (prime example being aggressive behavior - males are a bit more predisposed to it due to higher testosterone levels, but anthropological studies of cultures in which gender and sex roles are markedly different from ours prove that it's not an inherently male trait). As Woodchuck mentioned, it's a case of liking certain stereotypically feminine modes of behavior and disliking behavior associated with the hegemonic ideal of masculinity. (Totally understandable - the masculine ideal we're taught to follow blurs the line between being strong and being an asshole a lot of the time, and straight-up crosses it far too often for my taste.) If you feel like a man, then you're a man, simple as that. Don't worry about the rest, dude.

GGengar What determines your gender identity (be it cis-male or anything else on the spectrum) is how you feel about yourself, not how you act or whom you chose to associate with or how you feel about anything else. Most of the things we typically associate with masculinity and femininity are cultural constructs, as opposed to inherent traits (prime example being aggressive behavior - males are a bit more predisposed to it due to higher testosterone levels, but anthropological studies of cultures in which gender and sex roles are markedly different from ours prove that it's not an inherently male trait). As Woodchuck mentioned, it's a case of liking certain stereotypically feminine modes of behavior and disliking behavior associated with the hegemonic ideal of masculinity. (Totally understandable - the masculine ideal we're taught to follow blurs the line between being strong and being an asshole a lot of the time, and straight-up crosses it far too often for my taste.) If you feel like a man, then you're a man, simple as that. Don't worry about the rest, dude.
That's pretty much what I figured, but mentally that's a hard pill for me to swallow. Sure, I keep feeling alienated from masculinity, as Woodchuck mentioned, but the more and more I feel removed from masculinity, at what point does that no longer make me male? I know that's an impossible question to answer and it's not a "box checking game", but if one of the only things i can relate to masculinity is "I have a penis and I don't mind having it" is that enough to make me male? I know for some people that is, but for me I don't know. I just really don't relate to male experiences much at all.

The Great Gastly I think you're just going to have to move on. All of high school and most of college was unrequited affection for me so I know the feeling. And it's going to continually happen; you find a guy out in public and you hope to god that he's gay and it turns out he isn't. Just comes with the territory unfortunately, and while I think he'd be flattered to know that you're attracted to him and stuff, I don't think that's a good thing to start a friendship on. You definitely could become friends and divulge to him later that you're definitely attracted to him, but in a friendship you can't become emotionally invested and exhaust yourself on someone you just won't have a chance with.

If you feel it'd be too hard to just be friends without falling harder for him you're gonna have to just not enter that friendship to spare yourself the time and emotional fortitude. This isn't to say that you can't love your friends, but I'd definitely say you shouldn't be /in love/ with your friends.
Thank you, and I agree completely. After thinking about it more on my own, I've decided that even though it's difficult, I'm going to move on. I think what made this attraction different to me was the prospect of him being gay, or at least me seeing him that way without evidence.

As for pursuing a friendship, I know myself better than to base it off of attraction alone. I'd feel too awkward around his girlfriend, I'd fall harder the more I get to know him (because that's how I am), and so I'm probably going to put this to rest.

Anyway, I'll take what I've learned from this, and be more prepared for the long future ahead of me. :)

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

So I shared this picture on facebook, a (English native) Christian decided to talk to me that Jesus hated homosexuality as "stated" in Leviticus.

I told her that in fact, no one knew what that Greek word meant. It was a combo of "men" and "bed", which is why it was GUESSED that it meant homosexual behaviour.

She then went on shooting nonsense about "physiologically feminine males" are just "lying lips" that the Lord hates.

I thought , wow, since English is your first language and that you have language access to most of the information about homosexuality, HOW CAN YOU STILL BE SO IGNORANT??
(It's not like you have no access to a translated copy-- for example, you can hardly find information about gays in Chinese.)

Some people, seriously, need to get a grip. She made me so angry!

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
not to mention the fact that Leviticus is deemed irrelevant by most biblical scholars because "Jesus died for our sins", and the laws of Leviticus are seen to be made irrelevant after that occurrence. Similarly, you can get specific haircuts, wear two different fabrics, and eat shellfish without being worried about being sent to the depths of fiery eternity forever! (imagine that)

Jynx, i think you'll find that there is significant ignorance among "first-language English speakers", and that just because a majority of texts are available in that language does not in any way mean that people actively go and search for them. In fact, having english as your first language doesn't even guarantee that you can use the language effectively or correctly; you personally have incredible command of the English language compared to many first-language English speakers.

Thank you for attempting to share information with people, regardless of their response - it might seem like she completely tossed you off but a bunch of these situations may cause her to reevaluate her position, or at least have it be somewhat more informed.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
not to mention the fact that Leviticus is deemed irrelevant by most biblical scholars because "Jesus died for our sins", and the laws of Leviticus are seen to be made irrelevant after that occurrence. Similarly, you can get specific haircuts, wear two different fabrics, and eat shellfish without being worried about being sent to the depths of fiery eternity forever! (imagine that)

Jynx, i think you'll find that there is significant ignorance among "first-language English speakers", and that just because a majority of texts are available in that language does not in any way mean that people actively go and search for them. In fact, having english as your first language doesn't even guarantee that you can use the language effectively or correctly; you personally have incredible command of the English language compared to many first-language English speakers.

Thank you for attempting to share information with people, regardless of their response - it might seem like she completely tossed you off but a bunch of these situations may cause her to reevaluate her position, or at least have it be somewhat more informed.
I wonder if it kind of means they are lazy. (not willing to read)
Language proficiency and knowledge are somehow correlated to how hard you are willing to work in my opinion.
Also, if she doesn't actively go to search, what makes her think she has the right to make a judgement like that?

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
not lazy necessarily, but it doesn't matter to them. the issue of non-normalized sexuality isn't important to them because they don't have non-heterosexual experiences. such issues aren't 'real' to them, in the same way the issue of rape/consent isn't that real to a lot of men, imo. Like, the people who care to look into this stuff do so because it means the 'life or death' of themselves or someone they love, and maybe both. When people speak from ignorance, it is sometimes true that their ignorance stems from a lack of opportunity to learn so that they would know 'the facts', but there are other times when they had those opportunities to learn better, but it didn't matter to them.

My family is very conservative, imo, and I often wonder why my Ivy league educated cousins seem apathetic when it comes to what I call 'justice'. Like, they went to very fancy universities, but they probably never even tried to take classes in feminist philosophy/gender studies and they hold conservative opinions on these issues, or they think these issues (race, gender, class, sexuality) aren't important. Why?

Only way I can make sense of it is to think that it wasn't a real issue for their lives, their existence isn't being jeopardized by common standards of sexual/gender/etc performance, so they didn't bother finding out about such issues.

There are also other reasons why religion convinces people to hold 'ignorant' opinions. In many places, especially rural places in America, there is very little social services because 'the state' or elected officials don't care about these places. Services such as mental and physical health care, food subsidies, education, are often provided by churches and religious groups in these places, as the state and federal governments are not punished (they won't lose any elections or lose political power) for failing to fund good services for these areas. If you're poor, and the state doesn't care, the church will still care, and as they provide these services and become important to one's day to day life, they will proselytize. It is very common in america for poor, rural, white people to vote for politicians who's platforms are seemingly against their own "self-interest" for religious reasons, like a poor person who votes against someone who promises an increase in benefits to the poor because that same politician is pro-choice.

it's really hard to realize that the people who care about these issues tend to have the most at stake, and that it's so easy to ignore the problems for those that are lucky/repressed/blind enough to be unaffected, it's part of why these problems defy simple explanations and solutions.

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Welp, this thread could use reviving, no?

It feels more than a bit odd to be posting this here - I guess I feel safer posting this somewhere that people I don't really know and won't have a negative impact on me can, maybe, guide me through this process a bit.

I'm bisexual. It's something I've been increasingly confused about over the last few months, and have finally accepted now. At first, I tried to convince myself otherwise, that it was just some odd hormone thing that came along with puberty, but I can't lie to myself anymore. After that, I tried to convince myself to keep it secret for as long as I possibly could - everything's going rather swimmingly in my 14 year old life right now, and this is one hell of a monkeywrench. With this post, it's just as much of a way for me to come to terms with myself as a way to seek guidance.

This community is the first place I've openly stated this, and while I think some people IRL may have their suspicions, I know most of them don't, and what I'm really worried about is acceptance in that innermost circle of family and closest friends. My mom and dad, while would be more than likely surprised, I like to think wouldn't care much - it doesn't seem like them to treat any person differently based on those kinds of factors. My 7 year old sister, now... either she accepts it or doesn't, and from a young age I'm not sure that opinion can be altered once it's been implemented.

I'm agnostic, so fuck Christians who'll try to shove shit down my throat 0_0 (Especially ironic because I was baptized at birth and went to a Roman Catholic school up until grade 6, but w/e)

I'm not worried about people bullying - Not only could I easily handle myself if they did, but my school is one that is very accepting.

My main question, I guess, is this - How should I come out? Subtly or a bit more outright and to-the-point? My school as an LGBTQ group that I'll begin to attend - is there anything else I should do?

Thanks for your help in advance :]
Krauersaut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)