Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright heres an interesting one

Name: suicide shinobi

Move 1: spikes/toxic spikes

Move 2: taunt

Move 3: water shuriken

Move 4: Surf/Hydro pump

Item: focus sash

Ability: torrent

Ev’s: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 special attack

Nature: naïve

Moves:

Greninja’s high speed, access to taunt, and access to both spikes makes him a great suicide lead. The choice of either spikes or toxic spikes comes down to preference. Spikes are overall the better of the two, but toxic spikes can be useful for some more defensively based teams to stall. Taunt is there to shut down other hazard setters and taunters. The reason torrent is great on this set is because when u combine the focus sash and torrent, greninja can act as a decent revenge killer with a boosted water shuriken, surf, or hydro pump. The classic surf vs. hydro pump is entirely up to preference, although hydro pump is probably the better of the two since it secures more KO’s or damage, and greninja will not be staying in long so the lack of PP isn’t a serious issue. However, if you are shaky about the accuracy, surf can still be used for some moderate damage. And finally, while a protean greninja isn’t suited to use water shuriken, the torrent boost and ev’s provided can give greninja the ability to pick off some weakened foes and break opposing substitutes and sashes respectively. Some other options could include scald and ice beam. Scald gets the torrent boost and has the nifty chance of burning, but the power of hydro pump and surf makes scald inferior in this set. Ice beam is a good choice to allow greninja deal some damage to opposing grass types, and dent foes such as garchomp and gliscor, but without more special attack investment and the protean ability it is overall a subpar option.

Set details:

The ev’s provided are to make greninja maximize water shuriken’s power. The naïve nature is there to make it so that neither physical or special attacks made by greninja are hindered. Alternatively, some more special attack could be used to secure some KO’s with hydro pump or surf if there is a desire to do so.

Usage Tips:

Since Greninja are always protean, it’s important to keep that in mind while using this set. Protean greninja forces a lot of switches, so try to use this bluff to your advantage by setting up spikes on the switch. The focus sash will enable greninja to get off at least 2 spikes for the most part, and using the proper bluff will enable greninja to possibly get off 3. If greninja’s health is low or activates the focus sash, you can use either of your two attacking options to deal as much damage as possible. However, preserving greninja isn’t a bad choice, as the power provided by torrent can make greninja a great revenge killer with water shuriken. However, this should be done when hazards are off the field otherwise you should just try to set up more spikes or try pick off a weakened foe that is already on the field.

Please keep in mind this is not my full analysis as I still haven’t done enough damage calculations for water shuriken.

Alright heres an interesting one

Name: suicide shinobi

Move 1: spikes/toxic spikes

Move 2: taunt

Move 3: water shuriken

Move 4: Surf/Hydro pump

Item: focus sash

Ability: torrent

Ev’s: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 special attack

Nature: naïve

Moves:

Greninja’s high speed, access to taunt, and access to both spikes makes him a great suicide lead. The choice of either spikes or toxic spikes comes down to preference. Spikes are overall the better of the two, but toxic spikes can be useful for some more defensively based teams to stall. Taunt is there to shut down other hazard setters and taunters. The reason torrent is great on this set is because when u combine the focus sash and torrent, greninja can act as a decent revenge killer with a boosted water shuriken, surf, or hydro pump. The classic surf vs. hydro pump is entirely up to preference, although hydro pump is probably the better of the two since it secures more KO’s or damage, and greninja will not be staying in long so the lack of PP isn’t a serious issue. However, if you are shaky about the accuracy, surf can still be used for some moderate damage. And finally, while a protean greninja isn’t suited to use water shuriken, the torrent boost and ev’s provided can give greninja the ability to pick off some weakened foes and break opposing substitutes and sashes respectively. Some other options could include scald and ice beam. Scald gets the torrent boost and has the nifty chance of burning, but the power of hydro pump and surf makes scald inferior in this set. Ice beam is a good choice to allow greninja deal some damage to opposing grass types, and dent foes such as garchomp and gliscor, but without more special attack investment and the protean ability it is overall a subpar option.

Set details:

The ev’s provided are to make greninja maximize water shuriken’s power. The naïve nature is there to make it so that neither physical or special attacks made by greninja are hindered. Alternatively, some more special attack could be used to secure some KO’s with hydro pump or surf if there is a desire to do so.

Usage Tips:

Since Greninja are always protean, it’s important to keep that in mind while using this set. Protean greninja forces a lot of switches, so try to use this bluff to your advantage by setting up spikes on the switch. The focus sash will enable greninja to get off at least 2 spikes for the most part, and using the proper bluff will enable greninja to possibly get off 3. If greninja’s health is low or activates the focus sash, you can use either of your two attacking options to deal as much damage as possible. However, preserving greninja isn’t a bad choice, as the power provided by torrent can make greninja a great revenge killer with water shuriken. However, this should be done when hazards are off the field otherwise you should just try to set up more spikes or try pick off a weakened foe that is already on the field.

Please keep in mind this is not my full analysis as I still haven’t done enough damage calculations for water shuriken.
My favorite part about this set is that Torrent makes you look like a noob (not trying to diss the set- it's just an assumption many players make) so open up with it early on and your opponent might play down to their assumption :)

Who do u think Ur calling a noob? And is that all Ur gonna say not argue about why this is dumb, stupid, inferior and that I should be banished, locked in a madhouse, and feed on the remains of my inmates. Ok maybe not that last part but still I'm not saying torrent greninja is the best option, this is just a set I've used and have a lot of great times pickin off the birdemic talonflame, excadrill, scarf terrakion, mamoswine, and some other pokemon while settin up the spikes.

Who do u think Ur calling a noob? And is that all Ur gonna say not argue about why this is dumb, stupid, inferior and that I should be banished, locked in a madhouse, and feed on the remains of my inmates. Ok maybe not that last part but still I'm not saying torrent greninja is the best option, this is just a set I've used and have a lot of great times pickin off the birdemic talonflame, excadrill, scarf terrakion, mamoswine, and some other pokemon while settin up the spikes.
Zebstrika wasn't trying to insult you, he (or she?) even said they aren't trying to diss the set, it's just an assumption people will make because Protean is just that good.

We'll I found it very insulting, or at least how it was worded came off as insulting. But just because u assume something that doesn't always prove to be true. But anywho protean is really overpowered ill admit but the original purpose of this set was an anti lead with taunt, spikes, toxic spikes, and surf. Sure protean could create some cool mind games, but the torrent boost from surf was rather appealing. Then I thought about water shuriken and, this set happened. It's an anti lead set that isn't outclassed and has the benefit of being able to pick off weakened opponents.

I've been using defensive tyranitar as a salamence check and it's pretty cool

252+ Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 176-208 (43.6 - 51.6%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

^this is a worst-case scenario. Most salamences can't afford to come even close to max attack, prefering to spread EVs through HP, spdef, speed, and leftover in atk. And on top of that, earthquake isn't even common. Maybe less than half salamences use any move besides return?

Random calc:

+1 136 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 110-130 (27.2 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Ice Beam, Ice Punch, Stone Edge, Roar - whatever you think is the best way to deal with mence. I'm pretty sure you could even chesto-rest and counter boost back with curse, rest, ice punch, crunch (not recommending dragon dance here because relaxed ttar is so slow)

I've been using defensive tyranitar as a salamence check and it's pretty cool

252+ Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 176-208 (43.6 - 51.6%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

^this is a worst-case scenario. Most salamences can't afford to come even close to max attack, prefering to spread EVs through HP, spdef, speed, and leftover in atk. And on top of that, earthquake isn't even common. Maybe less than half salamences use any move besides return?

Random calc:

+1 136 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 110-130 (27.2 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Ice Beam, Ice Punch, Stone Edge, Roar - whatever you think is the best way to deal with mence. I'm pretty sure you could even chesto-rest and counter boost back with curse, rest, ice punch, crunch (not recommending dragon dance here because relaxed ttar is so slow)
How does megatar fare?

How does megatar fare?
+1 252+ Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 210-248 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 163-192 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

4 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 404-476 (102.5 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 210-248 (51.9 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Tyranitar: 163-192 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

4 Atk Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 404-476 (102.5 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
In terms of you calcs, I meant.

The slow U-turn, so he can U-turn out after Victini ;)
The U-turn with choice band is awkward to use as you are normally locked into flare blitz or EQ. A life orb's recoil is ignored by sheer force (I think). The loss of power would be more useful than losing a turn.

(reply to page 55)

Last edited:
The U-turn with choice band is awkward to use as you are normally locked into flare blitz or EQ. A life orb's recoil is ignored by sheer force (I think). The loss of power would be more useful than losing a turn.

(reply to page 55)
Judging by the winky face, I believe he was joking. Darmanitan is considered unviable in OU because despite hitting like a truck, it's way too slow and way too frail to be used. There is virtually no reason to use him over Entei or Victini in OU.

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Return

Sub+SD diggy is to beat all that mega eye teams running around.Sub+SD diggy can come on mega eye(after it's m-evolved obviously)and set up sub on a wisp.After that,diggersby can pretty much set up a swords dance on diggy as eye must switch out.With only skarmory removal and little hazard support,diggy can sweep whole teams of stall.I have never seen sub diggy so i assume there's no set like this one although sorry if there is.

Some calcs at +2

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 339-399 (111.5 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Basically after rocks.
Mega Eye's knock off will usually break subs but i think most stall teams run CM mega eye and most mega eyes will wisp diggy first.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 360-425 (85.7 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
If not running roar,hippo loses.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 263-309 (66.7 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Latias: 355-419 (97.5 - 115.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
I know Most latias doesn't run this,just to show the power.

+1 0 SpA Mega Latias Stored Power (40 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Diggersby: 108-127 (34.7 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Basically,this becomes diggy is awesome but using sub means that it can get past mega eye which is HUGE.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 100 Def / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Trust me, this set is way better than magnet pull. Makes this already fantastic pivot mon a wallbreaker as well.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Trust me, this set is way better than magnet pull. Makes this already fantastic pivot mon a wallbreaker as well.
Is there any reason you're using 2 atk as opposed to 0 atk? Also what are the Evs in defense for?

The two Attack IVs are very likely for minimizing Foul Play damage yet still get HP Fire
You get the same result with 0 IVs. Hidden Power's type relies on the last bit of the IV being 0. In other words, 0 IVs in Attack still gets you HP fire and minimizes the damage further (not that I think 2 IV's will make any notable difference).

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

except that 99% of teams using zone want it to trap ferrothorn / skarm / scizor... if the opp can switch out of skarm into chansey every time what is even the point ?_?

i get that you're aiming for a powerful volt switch pivot but taking away its one major, major niche does not by any means make this better than magnet pull. it's a different role all together.

except that 99% of teams using zone want it to trap ferrothorn / skarm / scizor... if the opp can switch out of skarm into chansey every time what is even the point ?_?

i get that you're aiming for a powerful volt switch pivot but taking away its one major, major niche does not by any means make this better than magnet pull. it's a different role all together.
everybody runs shed shell anyway, magnet pull is irrelevant. and analytic allows magnezone to get more kills rather than just skarmory and ferrothorn. ive been using it on the ORAS ladder and its been the mvp in almost every battle

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
everybody runs shed shell anyway, magnet pull is irrelevant. and analytic allows magnezone to get more kills rather than just skarmory and ferrothorn. ive been using it on the ORAS ladder and its been the mvp in almost every battle
Shed Shell, like any item, can be knocked off with little difficulty, especially when Ferro and Skarmory are so commonly switched in on physical attackers that may carry it. After that, Magnezone is free to trap it and eliminate it, putting a hole in the opponent's defensive backbone. That's usually Magnezone's job, and that's the one thing that separates it out from any other special wallbreaker (looking at you, Sceptile/Gardevoir/Keldeo). It's a neat set, but it comes with an opportunity cost (unless you're running one of those HO trap teams with Specs Magnezone and Scarf Magneton).

Magnet Pull is the reason Magnezone is OU right now. It was banned from UU primarily for Specs Analytic, but that's a different metagame, and one with less Steel types.

AV scizor is a set that can paired up with rotom-w to make a deadly volt turn combo while being a very durable counter or check to special attackers
#####
Scizor: Full metal jacket
Moves
1) U-turn
2) bullet punch
3) superpower
4) knock off/ pursuit
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 248 HP, 196 Attack, 64 Sp. Def. or 248HP, 252 Attack, 8 Sp. Def.
Pursuit I chose as an option because you can switch into some special attackers such as the latis, gengar, gardeviors lacking HP fire, and almost any psychic types lacking HP fire and get a good hit on them. Ur opponent probably will not expect it either since pursuit isn't as common.

A lot of people like SR Clefable, but miss out on CM Clefable, so I combined them

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

This set lets you get up rocks early game then CM sweep later. This set does have some counters, since you lack flamethrower, but it is an interesting hybrid set

Here's an idea that I got from a dude (sorry dude forgot your name) in the NU creative sets thread for pyroar which he got from a French battling website:

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roar
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Basically, the idea of roar on Mamoswine is supposed to be used in conjunction with hazard stacks to catch popular mamoswine switch-ins like rotom-w or skarmory as they switch in and force them out, causing more damage to the opponent's team and forcing in unexpected and usually unwanted switch-ins. EG: You are up against a Landorus-T and your opponent fears the ice move so he goes into his rotom-w thinking it's all peaches and cream, little does he know you reveal the innovative roar and make him take unnecessary hazard damage and maybe even bring back the landorus, allowing you to get more free hazard damage on the switch in or potentially a kill on the landorus. Of course the moves and items are interchangeable, meaning you can run superpower to hit other mamoswine or hit rotom when it's low or you can run icicle spear, whatever. Note that this isn't a passive phazer like skarmory is, it's used on offense only and is supposed to be for catching switch-ins when you threaten the opposing pokemon.

I just thought this was a really underrated strategy that not many people bother to use or have even heard of and can seriously shift momentum in your favour if used correctly. An interesting take on spikes offense if you ask me, but all credit goes to the Battling website and the guy from the NU forums lol. Feel free to try and use a similar variation of this idea with any other pokemon, but as the site said; it works best with swine.

Avalugg @ Assault Vest
252 S.Def 252 Attack, 4 HP
Brave or Sassy Nature

Avalanche
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Stone Edge/Rapid Spin

At this point, you will havr dismissed this post with 'lol Avalugg' or 'S.Def and AV on a base 44 S.Def mon? Noob' but don't. I admit I love Avalugg and want to use it, but it can't do much and is outclassed by Skarmory as a defensive hazard remover, but a bulky offense set is really good. This set is very powerful with a good base attack, amazing defence and the investment and AV patching up the awful S.Def. A great TR abuser and works amazing with WishPass.
Avalanche is the main STAB attack, Gyro Ball is amazing due to the awful speed and can cover a good type range including fairy, Earthquake deals with non Skarm steel types and rapid spin is to remove hazards, the main reason you would think of using Avalugg. Stone Edge can be used to nail Zard Y on the switch in.
Overall, Avalugg is hugely underated and deserves more than the lol many people give it, but it has so many spinners to contend with if it's defensive (OU has Skarm, UU has Donphan etc), which is why I came up with this.

Relevant calcs:

-1 252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 180-212 (64 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 240-284 (72.2 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 168-198 (50.6 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
M.Manetric cannot switch into and defeat Avalugg without rocks.

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 143-169 (43 - 50.9%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 482-570 (159.6 - 188.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Latios just dies to it.

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 180-212 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 424-500 (110.1 - 129.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Defensive Heatran is defeated uless Lava Plume gets a burn.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 281-333 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 303-357 (113 - 133.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Factoring in accuracy, there is a tiny chance Gengar can OHKO Avalugg

252+ Atk Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 224-266 (67.4 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Lucario Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 218-258 (65.6 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 298-352 (106 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
No unboosted Lucario will be defeating this guy. I know Lucario isn't common, but still...

Counters:

Unless you are running Stone Edge, Zard Y completely walls this.

252+ Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard Y: 123-145 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (60 BP Avalanche for switch in)
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Avalugg in Sun: 518-612 (156 - 184.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Stone Edge OHKOs on switch in though.

Zard X can also OHKO, but takes more damage if already mega'd on switch:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 338-398 (101.8 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 204-240 (68.6 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Darmanitan may be OU irrelevant, but checks this set:

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 408-484 (122.8 - 145.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Avalugg Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darmanitan: 360-424 (102.5 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

To be fair, anything with an SE STAB offensively invested is a check/counter, so I won't waste any more time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)