ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly the complaints about surfing are silly. Don't these people realise that you just need a high level pokemon at the front of your party and some repels? Surfing might have been slow in the original RSE but it's much faster now. Even without repels surfing offers a good levelling opportunity for your Manectric or any other pokemon really.
Unless you choose Torchic. In which case, sucks to be you

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wasn't Thunder Punch one of the moves that Blaziken was advertised getting? It might get it upon evolving to make the late game easier for people.

You're saying that the frontier won't be here because they're not in the game. What if they are in the game, just as volcanion, hoopa and everything else in xy?
Still a major dick move if it's in the game already but isn't available at launch.

Blaziken doesn't even need Thunderpunch; Slash rakes Wingull and Tentacool through the coals as is. Blaziken was advertised as having all three punches, actually.

It would be interesting for the battle frontier to be built as time goes on but I don't know if that's something GF would do. I guess a couple of days' time will tell.

Well it would be dumb to have Torchic at the front of your party when your surfing anyway... and to still be using a Torchic at that point in the game without evolving it; unless you want to teach it certain moves at an earlier level or something.

So the New Hoopa Form in ORAS has been leaked. Picture is in-game proof.

edit: this crap doesn't even look like a pokemon. disappointed.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I thought Kanto was complete in the orginal GSC, Maybe I remember wrong? I don't thinkg HGSS has TONS of area GSC doesn't.... though... right?
Well, the version of Kanto you visited in GSC was pretty bare-bones. Almost all of the "dungeons" were removed - as far as I can remember, only Rock Tunnel and Diglett's Cave went untouched, and Mt. Moon was shrunk to a tenth of its original size. Otherwise, the caves had collapsed, the forests been cut down, the big buildings shut off or revamped, the safari zone closed - that list went on for a while. HGSS brought back Viridian Forest and Cerulean Cave, at least.

As for the lack of postgame content in ORAS, I take it as confirmation that there's another Gen. VI game on the horizon, and we might be getting it as early as next autumn. GameFreak's business model sort of hinges on the games having limited longevity, so they feel properly out-played by the time a new, fresh game comes in. With too much to do in the post-game, it makes the new games a lot harder to justify over the old ones, especially if it's within the same generation. Sales are increased by holding back features, releasing a little more per game as the generation progresses. Players are meant to be tired of the first games of the generation, so they'll buy the subsequent ones. With the next generation coming, the prospect of new Pokémon, moves, graphics, mechanics and regions trumps the replayability factor of the old games anyway. Cynical, yes, but effective as heck.

As such, Emerald had this big Battle Frontier whereas R/S had a simple tower. The Frontier could easily have been coded into R/S, but then it'd be harder to sell Emerald.
D/P had little once the Battle Zone was conquered. Platinum had a Frontier and Gym Leader rematches.
Strangely enough, there was no Frontier in BW2, but those games had the awesome Join Avenue setup, the PWT, the Shiny Charm, Medals and Pokéstar Studios. A full-fledged postgame experience, built to last unlike the rather small BW postgame.

In other words, with XY and ORAS both having rather boring postgames, I expect big things to come from the inevitable Kalos revisit. That game, or those games, will probably have content enough to keep us satisfied until Gen. VII is released (which I expect to be sometime in 2016/2017).

Don't get me wrong, I do like... Soopa Doopa Hoopa?... but the design is just out there by pokemon standards.

Like I wouldn't bat an eye if this was a Dragon Ball Z villain or even a Persona design in a Shin Megami Tensei game. It's just way too humanoid for me, even with the 6 arms.

I like it, but it just seems out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I do like... Soopa Doopa Hoopa?... but the design is just out there by pokemon standards.

Like I wouldn't bat an eye if this was a Dragon Ball Z villain or even a Persona design in a Shin Megami Tensei game. It's just way too humanoid for me, even with the 6 arms.

I like it, but it just seems out of place.
That's how I feel, it seems cool but..it's just not Pokemon-like. Doesn't fit the theme of "Pokemon" or have qualities of looking like a "Pokemon"

Edit: For those who haven't seen the New Hoopa Forme, since this is the new page. Here it is:

That's how I feel, it seems cool but..it's just not Pokemon-like. Doesn't fit the theme of "Pokemon" or have qualities of looking like a "Pokemon"

Edit: For those who haven't seen the New Hoopa Forme, since this is the new page. Here it is:
This is actually the first time that I've seen Soopa Doopa Hoopa up close.

I guess the designers were really thinking with portals!

(pleasegfgiveusanicknameablehoopasoicannameitchell)

There's no such thing as Pokemon-like. The designers of the games choose what a Pokemon is supposed to look like, not us.

I like that we have a better look at Hoopa's forme and I find it an improvement over the normal one.
Obviously. haha. we all have our own opinions but designers of course have the final decision. I just don't like how it looks. lol.

Did they post,the name of the item?

Once they've got 700 some or even just 150 some different monsters there are gonna be certain traits aesthetics and styles that when you deviate from them the result is a monster that is not 'Pokemon-like" Especially since it's not the same people designing every monster. A new designer can draw up whatever they want and tell us it's "Pokemon-like" but that doesn't mean it'll sit well with the recipients. There has to be a solid level of continuity to the point where the new monster meshes into the existing group well. And not every Pokemon has always done that. Soopa Hoopa is definitely one of them imo. You could maybe compare it to the genies? But it's looking a lot more like an "individual being" than a "species of monster". And a lot of it's traits are just very "non-Pokemon" in the sense that they don't mesh well with the existing cast.

There's no such thing as Pokemon-like. The designers of the games choose what a Pokemon is supposed to look like, not us.

I like that we have a better look at Hoopa's forme and I find it an improvement over the normal one.
I disagree. While yes, the designers can come up with anything they choose, there are some asthetics and art style themes that run through the series. This one just appears thematically and aesthetically different to me.

It's like seeing some cartoon character be drawn by a different artist. It's definitely the same thing, but they still look different.

And as I said, I do like the design. If Hoopa is supposed to me some alien from another dimension then maybe the out-there or out-of-place feeling is fully intentional.

All I'm seeing in hoopa's new form is regigigas and houndoom had a baby.

It is really weird looking for pokemon but at this point I don't expect much from GF design wise.

All I'm seeing in hoopa's new form is regigigas and houndoom had a baby.

It is really weird looking for pokemon but at this point I don't expect much from GF design wise.
OK you had the same thoughts I had on Hoopa form... IT'S KIND OFF SCARY TO BE HONEST.

but yeah GF can come up with anything after lumineon I mean the thing looks more like a fish than a pokemon.

On non-related news I got a 6iv modest Hoopa on a trade yay or me :3

I didn't think Giratina looked very pokemon-like when I first saw it, but he grew on me. I'm sure Alternate-Hoopa will be the same.
I'd go so far as to say that whole trio (Giratina, Palkia, Dialga) all look weirder than other pokemon. Which again might have to due with some space and dimension theme (Dialga is the worst for me, with the giant xenomorph head and spike-fin back).

Please don't misunderstand, this isn't a Gen1 I HATE DIFFERENT rant, I still believe that all of these are "true" pokemon. They just all have a design that I liked but felt clashed with the themes of their 700 cousins. Which happens in every family, pokemon too.

Want another canon example? Zoroark. Remember when they tried to make it the next Lucario? And remember how they dropped that in favor of making Lucario the next Lucario (well, it's mega I mean)? And remember how several people thought the fox make-up looked kind of weird? That's my feeling with Soopa Doopa Hoopa.

The other thing about Soopa Hoopa is that it doesn't really "feel" like it's the same thing as Hoopa Hoopa... It's almost like an evolution rather than a form change. In terms of how it went from cutsie to ugly.

But yeah I don't mean to sound like a genwunner either, When they put out a design that pushes the bounds of the current set of monsters then it ultimately settles, we accept it, and that in turn expands what a Pokemon can be. They just need to be careful how rapidly they expand I guess. To be honest the only Pokemon I still have trouble "accepting" are a few random gen 4 things Specifically all of Rotom's forms which I was soooo convinced were a Hoax for a very long time... lol

Last edited:
Ah Reminiscing on the last few months, Noel Lopunny our resident Loppunny enthusiast who casually wished Loppuny would get a mega while everyone else talked about Salamence and Flygon and Milotic.
If only Noel had said Flygon, then we would be happier.

RIP Battle Frontier, the UsGamer reviewer has confirmed its absence. Just look at her last comment - http://www.usgamer.net/articles/pokemon-omega-rubyalpha-sapphire-versions-3ds-review

The day 6v6 singles becomes a default option on Battle Spot, I will shut up about what I just said.
You and me both.

Last edited:
Well he made it to the Lati@s event. Yes you do get one right after the 5th gym (where you used to meet Steven near the Berry Master's place). You fly on the opposite Lati to go meet the Lati of your game. Does that make sense? Just look at the pics: https://twitter.com/kristhofer

By the way, how did this guy get a Blastoise? Did he use pokebank or wondertrade or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)