Other ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Quick question:
+

For the mega gallade and diggersby core posted in the OP, is knock off worth running anywhere on diggersby? iirc it's getting knock off this gen so you might be able to run it over quick attack or something, to beat ghost types and it's also a great utility move, allowing diggersby to knock off items, like eviolite and leftovers.
Not worth it because the main Ghost type you fear with this core is LO 3 attack Gengar and Wild Charge from Diggersby 2HKOs it. Knock Off provides redundant coverage on Diggersby and you lose out on either priority or coverage.

Defensive core that Ive been using quite extensively as of late:

+
+

I made this core to handle the numerous threats that have been plaguing ORAS OU. To start off, Clefable acts as one of the few reliable answers to Mega Sableye, which allows me to get up Stealth Rocks against teams running that mon. Additionally, she still acts as a great switch in to things like Thundy, Mega Sceptile, Lati@s, Azu, TTar, etc., while also Wish passing to heal up teammates. looking at what threatened her, I decided to add Slowbro and Zapdos to take on the likes of steels better, while also giving me two solid switch ins to aidsmence. Additionally, they are able to handle the likes of Scarf Lando, Mega Lopunny, Talonflame, Mega Metagross, Mega Gallade, and others. The cool thing about this core is that you have literally zero to fear from fighting types, because its all resisted, and scouting for coverage is easy thanks to Clefables Magic Guard and Slowbros Regenerator.

Good teammates for this core are teammates that pose offensive pressure, such as Scarftran, Greninja, Mega Metagross, Lati@s, etc. Ive used this core on quite a few different teams and it gives me a good defensive backbone to work with. The only problem is that these guys are kinda weak to Mega Beedrill teams, as they can VoltTurn against these mons.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog
- Roost

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Replays (May add more later):
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-184452976
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-182090546

This core gets shit on by Greninja. Then again which core isnt? Does anyone have a viable anti-Greninja core?

Offesive core yeh
Nasty Plot Celebi + Talonflame
+

This is a core that I have been testing recently and Ive found it works very well in the ORAS meta. Talonflame's biggest counters atm are Rotom Wash and Heatran, two very common mons which have almost no issue with constantly switching into Talonflame. For this reason, I decided to use Nasty Plot Celebi with Earth Power to annihilate Rotom and lure in Tran. Sets are pretty flexible and can be customised to whatever preferences
you have, in this case I wanted to use Band Talon so I can pressure switchins but SD and Stallbreaker also work well, however, Earth Power on Celebi is an absolute must to lure and beat tran. The premise is fairly simple. U turn on switch, go straight into Celebi against Washtom, but not against Tran as it kinda defeats the purpose of the lure. In order to guarantee the ko on Tran against a wary opponent, pretending Celebi lacks Earth Power can be a good game plan, revealing it only when hes extremely confident in switching in. Celebi also beats other bulky mons that Talon has trouble with, such as Slowbro, while Talonflame beats many of Celebi's hard switchin, such as Ferrothorn, Skarm and Chansey.

Overall a very fun and viable core using the underappreciated celebi.
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass/Recover/Psychic
- Earth Power

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind/Sleep Talk

im fairly suprised a decent mega altaria core hasent been done yet. Mega altaria has been quite the amazing mon for me and her typing is exstremely good allowing her to wall multiple mons including latios,zard x and even a few other top tier threats. Now keep in mind this core is fairly basic and is not as unique as some as these core.

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Hyper Voice
- earthquake
- Roost
- Fire Blast

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Fairly basic core as each team member helps each other out in terms of weaknesses. Would like to say before i begin talking about this core that the mega altaria set is from the altairia thread. Right so this bulky mixed mega altaria is actually really unpredictable as having both hyper voice and earthquake makes mega alt fairly hard to figure out. ferro does not wall her and it also makes scizor a prime counter to mega alt afraid to come in. Heatran naturally helps mega alt out by providing a immunity to poison and a resistance to steel as well as softens up mons with rocks and toxic. Rotom w provides a ground immunity to help tran as well as takes care of mons the mega alt might have troubles with and provides a decent counter to scizor. Weakness wise all weaknesses are covered with this core. due to this being a fairly defensive core t-wave support is a good idea. would like to say that this core DOES lose to mold breaker excadrill.

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Wouldn't EQ be a better option than Return? This way you're not walled by Heatran, and with some bulk you can tank a Gunk Shot from Greninja and OHKO it back.

Having both Return and Hyper Voice just seems gimmicky to me...

return has its merrits along with hyper voice. it for one hits things like av conk harder as well as makes sure mega alt can get past mons like chansey. hyper voice is important to have as it gets past subs. while earthquake would be better you can simply just use a mon that can handle tran on it own. while it is true earthquake allows you to get past tran ive found return better and hyper voice is also extremely helpful. the team i use with this core has no issue with tran as i have 2 mons that handle him.

Croven

certified genius
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
return has its merrits along with hyper voice. it for one hits things like av conk harder as well as makes sure mega alt can get past mons like chansey. hyper voice is important to have as it gets past subs. while earthquake would be better you can simply just use a mon that can handle tran on it own. while it is true earthquake allows you to get past tran ive found return better and hyper voice is also extremely helpful. the team i use with this core has no issue with tran as i have 2 mons that handle him.
While you can have teammates to deal with Tran, that forces you to lose a lot of momentum, and also gives your opponent an opportunity to set up their Rocks, which will just be annoying and painful to get rid of. With EQ, you can trash Tran, prevent Rocks, keep momentum, etc etc. It looks to me as if it'd be a lot easier to have teammates to deal with the threats that Return gets rid of, as from what you've listed, (Conk, Chansey) I'd rather give them a free turn over Heatran. Also, Heatran is a LOT more common than mons that Return could deal with, and tbh I've used Altaria a bit, and a lot of teams have either Ferrothorn or Heatran as their only answer, so putting EQ and Fire Blast on Altaria gives it room to just wreck. IMO, EQ over Return would just be a lot better and more efficient.

So here's one a very fun and annoying balanced core I've been using,

Mega Glalie
move1: Body Slam
move2: Earthquake
move3: Explosion
move4: Spikes
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
nature: Adamant

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
move1: Stealth Rocks
move2: Leech Seed
move3: Protect
move4: Gyro Ball
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Nature: Sassy

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
move1: Rapid Spin
move2: Scald
move3: Acid Spray
move4: Toxic Spikes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Nature: Calm

Basically Body Slam on Glalie can cripple Keldeo and Greninja when they switch in. Glalie's EVs outspeed the standard Kyu-B set. Ferrothorn checks Greninja and Azumarill and also takes Rock and steel-type attacks for Glalie. Tentacruel also checks greninja, counters Keldeo, and takes fire- and fighting-type attacks for Glalie and Ferro. Rapid Spin also doesn't remove the many hazards you will be stacking, Scald is Scald, and Toxic Spikes adds to the hazard stacking of this core.

Hi all, I would like to propose a parallel core for ORAS mg

Double Fairy.
Balanced core: Mega Diancie + Clefable

The core strategy is based on a special Bulky sweeper + fast special sweeper using a synergistically boost Calm Mind to do damage to the opposing team.
The core is immune to status and thanks to the trait and typology of Clefable is totally immune to the playstyle "Stall".

The type of Diancie also makes it resistant to Bird spam and benefits from the fact that although they have similar typing able to hit different things because of the moveset and speed difference between the 2 mons.
  • We have on one side a Clefable which will use Flamethrower to hit steel as Scizor and Skarmory
  • And on the other Diancie thanks to Earthpower and Psyshock/Psychic can hit Pokemon like Heatran and Venusaur.
As the core is much difficulty against powerful and fast sweeper and Hyper offensive and likes the company of bulky volt turn and a revengekiller. (4 Metagross LOL)

The core:
Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Psyshock/Psychic

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

EDIT: Corrected format

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Double Fairy.

The core strategy is based on a special Bulky sweeper + fast special sweeper using a synergistically boost Calm Mind to do damage to the opposing team.
The core is immune to status and thanks to the trait and typology of Clefable is totally immune to the playstyle "Stall".

The type of Diancie also makes it resistant to Bird spam and benefits from the fact that although they have similar typing able to hit different things because of the moveset and speed difference between the 2 mons.
  • We have on one side a Clefable which will use Flamethrower to hit steel as Scizor and Skarmory
  • And on the other Diancie thanks to Earthpower and Psyshock/Psychic can hit Pokemon like Heatran and Venusaur.
As the core is much difficulty against powerful and fast sweeper and Hyper offensive and likes the company of bulky volt turn and a revengekiller. (4 Metagross LOL)

The core:

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Psyshock/Psychic

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
I recommend using unaware clef to deal with set up sweepers better.

All these fuckin lucarios
anyway I dunno why you're saying weather isn't relevant; rain's getting rather popular and mega swampert's only making it better. Sand is decently popular too, especially with T-tar and Hippo being used quite a bit regardless -- and as stated, Moonlight doesn't have too much PP. So really, your choice is get past SlowEyeCune or have reliable recovery.

Double Fairy.

I don't think this is a good idea, to be honest. Scizor already severely screws over Diancie, and having another mon that's weak to steel is a really bad idea. Metagross screws them both over too.

I don't think this is a good idea, to be honest. Scizor already severely screws over Diancie, and having another mon that's weak to steel is a really bad idea. Metagross screws them both over too.
Steels, you say?

Yeah I dunno if it would make it good at all but maybe adding mag would make the core somewhat viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)