Other ORAS Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by alexwolf
Good Cores – ORAS Edition

Banner by unfixable

A strong core is one of the single most valuable things to form when creating a new team. Cores are typically made up of a group of Pokémon that, when used together, work excellently toward accomplishing a specific goal, and any good player uses them, intentionally or not. The majority of cores have varying characteristics that allow them to triumph in different areas, and depending on your team, cores can be built to succeed offensively or defensively. An offensive core is a group of Pokémon that are both focused towards and designed to enable the team to break through most other team styles while being balanced for general play, while a defensive core is a group of Pokémon chosen to give a team a solid set of resistances and the ability to switch into many of the common and threatening attacks in the metagame, allowing it to stick around long enough to win the match. With a new metagame on the horizon and a plethora of new threats on the other side, there's no better time to dive in than now, and with that being said I present to you Good Cores: ORAS Edition.

Offensive Cores

The basic premise of this core is that Metagross and Talonflame both hate Heatran, even with the Hammer Arm on Gross which is w/e good coverage and all that. Dugtrio traps Heatran nicely so both of these (AgiliGross + Jolly SD Talon btw) can go to town. It also traps TTar for Talon which is nice because Talonflame kinda hates TTar, and potentially trapping the likes of Greninja on a revenge kill, Mega Diancie (another annoying Talon check), Bisharp (revenges Metagross with Sucker Punch and causes annoying mindgames with Talon), Jirachi (checks Metagross tanking its STABs and having annoying Body Slam paras plus the potential Fire Punch), and Magnezone (for obvious reasons) are all pretty great reasons to use Dugtrio with these two Pokemon. Obviously needs Defog support, but overall this can be a pretty devastating offensive core with Speed, power, and crucial trapping to take out some of these mons checks. I don't have many good replays because I usually don't say them, but I have this game against ABR which kinda showcases Dugtrio and how this core can work effectively.

The Metagross doesn't have to be Agility, I was just kinda intrigued by the ability to outspeed all the revenge killers and potentially smash through a lot of teams. Also gives it a bit more license to run Hammer Arm which is nice bc Ferro is annoying.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-177092783

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Agility

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Yup, I shamelessly copied the example core in the OP using Gallade and Bisharp, but man, it's a really solid core with Rotom-W included.

As it's probably been mentioned a billion times during 5th gen, Psychic/Fighting and Dark/Steel types make excellent partners to each other. Gallade quad resists fighting where Bisharp is 4x weak to it, Bisharp himself is immune to Psyshock and resists Flying and Ghost types that would give Gallade trouble. He can also Pursuit-trap the Lati twins to prevent 50/50s with Gallade in terms of Speed. Seeing as both of these mons are incredibly weak to both Talonflame and Scarf Lando-T (Bisharp can get the Defiant boost from Intimidate, but Lando needs to be at less than half for Sucker Punch to make a guaranteed kill), physically defensive Rotom-W is a recommended partner, as it provides the essential switch-in for both, and helps spread around burns and provides momentum with Volt Switch.

This core needs something to deal with Keldeo, so I recommend having Latias as a potential team member to have a solid switch in to that.

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch/Knock Off/Shadow Sneak

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Reposting this core from the ORAS speculation thread :

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Will-O-Wisp / Stealth Rock

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass

Basically, 2/3rds of a FWG core. These two mons have amazing synergy together, and cover up each of their their weakenesses really well. MCamerupt is vulnerable to Water types and Ground types, particularly Keldeo, Azumarill, MGyara, Slowbro, Lando-I and Excadrill which Celebi can switch into without too much difficulty (Celebi even beats CroBro thanks to Nasty Plot). Celebi also hard counters Rotom-W which is a massive pain for MCamerupt since it's pretty much the only electric type it can't beat. In return, MCamerupt checks Steel types that like switching into Celebi like Bisharp, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, as well as fire types like the Zards, Heatran, and Victini. Celebi is also fantastic at giving a free switches into MCamerupt thanks to Baton Pass, hopefully baiting in something it can take advantage of easily. Also, god help your opponent if you manage to pass a NP boost to Camerupt. Just pair this up with a bulky Water, preferably one that can take on the likes of Talonflame, Mamoswine, Greninja and Landorus-T and you have yourself a really solid FWG core, and you can make the rest of the team as Electric-weak as you damn please since no Electric type is ever going to be able to do anything to a team containing this core with the exception of Earthquake+Flamethrower EVire

okay so this is a core i really like and i have to say it's very solid! as i stated in some off my earlier posts i thought dugtrio might become a decent ou pokemon once again, which it hasn't been since the bw era (sun teams and hurricane + trap) this core is very similar to how bw2 torn-t + duggy worked and it's still good. so because pidgeot + duggy is very weak to rocks and keldeo, having a good defogger + a nice answer to keldeo in one pokemon made latias a great choice, it also has healing wish which is huge for a core like this. utilizing u-turn + arena trap WILL let u trap the pokemon u want eventually as the opposing player has to predict every time, this puts a lot off pressure on ur opponent and can easely been taken advantage off as they will often overpredict. i also run hp grass on pidgeot because it beats rotom-w the last check to pidgeot since duggy beats everything else lol, hp grass 2hko's after two rounds off rocks or 1 hp grass + two hurricanes or however u want to kill it. i have to say im surprised how well this core actually worked in the current meta, but i guess trapping is one off the best playstyles in oras atm. im gonna put a replay for this core as well.

edit: heal wish latias supports the core better than latios, which means latias is the superior choice here.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178402766

game between me and jukain: showing pidgeots power

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178475847

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]/[Ground]
- U-turn

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Toxic/Memento

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

So these two guys compliment each other almost perfectly. Sub CM Keldeo is actually really underrated right now, and the great thing is that he can set up on almost all of Metagross's Checks / counters. Skarm, Mandibuzz, Mega Sableye, Mega Scizor, and Bisharp all lose to Keldeo easily, allowing the Pony to get up a free sub and potentially start setting up for a sweep. Of course, those things that wall Keldeo like the Latis, Venu / Amoonguss, and any fairy type bar azu are shredded apart by Megagross, which allows them to form a devastating offensive core. Specs is an option for Keldeo if setting up isnt your thing, but being choice locked may not be very ideal. idk. Personal preference.

Anyways, theres bound to be mons that give this core trouble, and those mons include the likes of Talonflame, Azumarill, Mega Sceptile, and Greninja (sometimes. Keldeo doesnt gaf if Ninja lacks Exrasensory / GK). Assault Vest Raikou makes for a fantastic partner, as it either hard or soft checks every aforementioned thread. Rotom-W also makes an excellent teammate, as he handles all the aforementioned threat bar Sceptile, which can be handled by numerous other things such as Talonflame. Of course, no matter what you do, Mega tablemence shreks this core, but it shreks everything so it doesnt matter. Try this core out. It's good.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body --> Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch/Pursuit
- Zen Headbutt

this fwg core is really cool and works very well, im posting a replay with this core as well to showcase how well sceptile and greninja does vs ho/offense. so basically this core is extremely solid vs all team archetypes as greninja + sceptile is very strong vs ho and bulky offense, then theres taunt tran to deal with stall and more bulky teams in general. what i did with this core was backing it up wiith a voltturn core + spikes to have an easier time vs bulkier teams as heatran usually won't be enough to basically shut these kind off teams down. roar heatran is utilized so subdd mence won't setup on it as well as other dd'ers, while also having the ability to shuffle up hazard damage.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178324990

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 20 SpD / 240 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

These two are an amazing offensive core. But what they do together is outright ridiculous. Lopunny with her unresisted STAB and Greninja with his unresisted STAB just hit every pokemon as hard as freaking possible. Both are stupid fast, hit stupid hard and have 0 free switch ins, combined with Lopunny's ability to easilly click healing wish to pass to a team mate to finish the opposing team off is insane. These two although sharing two common weaknesses with each other, punch huge holes in every Pokemon in the game. What else needs to be said? They are very fit fot hyper offense together, in case that wasn't clear. Greninja getting Gunk Shot was an absolute God send making it impossible for anything to safely switch in without getting rocked by a STAB attack. Scrappy makes Lopunny's STAB resisted by nothing but Shedinja (which has been seen a few times for this reason). These two are a destructive duo when used correctly.
There are few problems for these pokemon, however. Mega Bro is a huge problem if you decide not to use Dark Pulse and scarf LandoT is also a decent size problem. Mega Mence at +1 is also a huge problem since it outspeeds and ohkos with return. I would recommend bringing something to stop the aforementioned Pokemon if you want this core to run through teams. Rotom-Wash actually works fairly well.

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 156 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Lopunny's evs are designed to give it a decent amount of bulk to live a few hits while outapeeding everything with a base 122 speed and below, this includes 232 spe Weavile. Max attack to hit as hard as possible with Dual STAB to hit everything at least neutrally. With this in mind a standard set of 252 atk and 252 spe allows Lopunny to outspeed base 80s at +1 speed (i.e Dragonite) as well as speed tie with megaman for a possible pick off. It's entirely dependant on what your team prefers.
Greninjas ev spread is simple. 40 Atk Evs allow gunk shot to OHKO all Azumarill as well as an easy 2hko on clefable who now resists its STAB thanks to protean. 252 speed to move as fast as possibleand the rest goes into special attack to hit as hard as possible on the special side.

In short, these two are hit and run hole punchers that don't really care what's coming in to take their hit and switch out if the match up is unfavorable.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179107274
Not the best of matches, but still shows that the duo constantly puts pressure on the opponent forcing switches and residual damage.

Okay, becuase I've been laddering some with different teams, just to get a better hunch of the metagame, I've discovered a core I really really like. Mega Gallade is, in my opinion, one of the best mega evoltions out there. Good Speed tier, great Attack, access to Swords Dance, and decent movepool. It has a few answer though, such as defensive Landorus-T, Mega Sableye, Defensive Unaware Clefable and Mega Slowbro. SD LO Diggersby not only takes on these Pokemon, but also draws them in, which is why the core works out so well. Gallade also draws in Skarmory, which really troubles Diggersby. All in all, the two if them kind of function like Dragon Spam did in BW, they draw in each others "counters", and proceed to wear them down. Sadly though, the core lacks Speed, which really hurts, and cannot really touch Mega Salamence, if not running Ice Punch on Gallade. Thus, some good teammates are "reliable" answer to faster threats, such as the aforementioned Mega Salamence, but also Greninja, Mega Lopunny, Mega Pidgeot, and Scarf Landorus-T. Rotom-W excels at the rle of taking these on, as it checks everything decently enough. Oh, and, this destroys Stall too n_n
Gallade @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Shadow Sneak / Ice Punch

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake

Defensive Cores

Mega Sableye and Tentacruel cover each other's weaknesses very well through both their respective defensive typings as well as Sableye's large physical defense and Tentacruel's great special defense. The two provide a large amount of utility on their own but are very weak to Mega Gardevoir, so Jirachi has been added, and the three blend beautifully. Be mindful of the shared ground weakness, however, so a mon such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, or Rotom-W does this core good.
Sableye @ Sableite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off/Taunt
- Recover

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpD / 120 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock/Wish
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Defensive core that takes care of a good portion of the top threats in the current meta, and has great type synergy in general. Provides both Spikes and Stealth Rock which is very handy for defensive teams. This core has very good defensive synergy together, resisting a total of 14/18 types, minus Fighting, Bug, Fire and Ghost (tho Chesnaught is immune to the only relevant Ghost move).
Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spiky Shield
- Leech Seed
- Spikes / Wood Hammer

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Protect / Hidden Power Rock / Ice
Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Chesnaught and Bronzong both shit on sand offense by resisting a big portion of their attacks, and generally 2HKOing almost all of their members. Of the new huge threats, Bronzong beats most Salamence (minus the Refresh or Fire Blast variants) between Toxic and Gyro Ball, completely walls Metagross, Sceptile, Altaria (minus Fire Blast ones), Diancie, additionally being able to beat Stored Power Mega Latias by virtue of being able to break its sub consistently, and being able to stall it out with Toxic eventually after it has to Roost instead of sub. Chesnaught on the other hand, takes on Swampert, Sharpedo, Mega Gyarados and Lopunny really well by virtue of its great typing and physical bulk. It also takes on Kabutops, which is one of the hardest rain threats to deal with. Mega Ampharos rounds of the core, checking flyspam, Zard-Y, Heatran lacking Earth Power, and various general threats to the core as a whole. It is recommended to use with a bulky Water with this core. Slowbro, Alomomola, Tentacruel are decent Pokemons to be considered for that slot. If lacking Ampharos, bulky Fire type like Charizard X or Camerupt will also provide very good sets of resistances for the core, or with Ampharos, Heatran or Stallbreaker Talonflame as well for things such as dealing with Mew, Fire types in general, and VoltTurn. Cleric support is also recommended because both Chesnaught and Bronzong are very prone to getting burned, or getting worn down in general.

Replays: Note I usually don't ladder so I just asked in the rooms for random people to challenge me because I don't want to deal with lower ladder scrubs
VS sand offense: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180327667
6-0-ing standard sand offense. Note how after Keldeo is gone, Bronzong and Chesnaught basically won this one their own.

VS Lopunny balance: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180338561
Misplayed this one by letting Charizard get worn down too much, and letting Raikou get burned at the end. But Chesnaught and Bronzong still did a good job. Chesnaught managed to prevent Ferrothorn from wearing my team down too much, and Bronzong wore down Garchomp and Zapdos eventually, and tanking a Fire Blast comfortably to nab Zapdos with a Toxic. (and and pardon the Black Belt on Tentacruel LOL, meant to be Black Sludge but I just whipped up the team in a hurry to get the replays)

Balance Cores

This balanced core is so, so good. CM + stored power mega latias and coballion is a core that daftmau5 and I have used heavily and built a really effective team around. Cm stored power latias will simply destroy teams when they are lacking a dark type, but you need to remove the dark type first. Coballion is an excellent pokemon for absorbing dark attacks from weavile and bisharp, as well as providing stealth rocks, t-wave support and volt switch momentum.

Here is just one replay where cobalion displays its ridiculous bulk, t-waves mence and thus there is a latias sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-178532888

This is another replay, were coballion was able to force out bisharp throughout the game, but eventually went down, but it allowed for me to take out bish and sweep with latias.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-176495726

Latias @ Latiasite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Roost
- Stored Power

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spe
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

i'm not sure this core really needs much explanation, synergy-wise they're damn near perfect, and they handle a lot of threats really nice. i like the sr unaware + heal bell set as it keeps raik and gyara status free, but ur standard sr magic guard or even cm magic guard works hella nice as well. raikou is ass vest as ass vest is ass best. also it provides a secondary check to azu, meta, the latis, or venu/amoong, depending on the set. the gyara evs are different than the bulky analysis set as that set is fucking stupid (seriously who the hell needs to outspeed noivern at +1 when was that thing last relevant again?), anyway outspeeds ninja at +1 (altho you can run a lil more speed if you want to get the jump on weavile) and 2hkos offensive venu w/ crunch @ +1 (thank u gamefrick). rest is in hp because i like bulk. taunt is nice for shitting on mega sableye, sub is nice if you're a fan of being worn down quickly i guess and choose not to run heal bell on clef.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware/Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD or 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Bold/Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock/Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Moonlight/Soft-Boiled

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 120 HP / 176 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt/Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball/Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

replays from todays room tourney, including one where you get to see me choke like no tomorrow:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179318380
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179321677
supreme chokery -> http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179325005

So basically, Empoleon + Chesnaught is not only capable of setting both Stealth Rock and Spikes, but they also beat almost every Dark-type out there. Chesnaught is capable of switching into Bisharp, Mega Gyarados, Mega Tyranitar, and Mega Sharpedo. Empoleon beats Greninja, which is really huge, as well as being a great switch-in opposing Lati@s and Clefable. Good additions to this core includes Pokemon capable of beating Meba Sableye and LO Gengar with Focus Blast, the two biggest threats to the core. Having a check to Salamence is also advised, becuase Chesnaught gives it a lot of free turns. Other than this though, the core is really solid, and it capitalizes on the insane power that is Mega Latias.

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Stored Power

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar / Protect

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Drain Punch

So, post your own cores and why they work, and if good enough reasoning is provided, they will be added to the OP. Please follow this format, with both the description and the usual sets in hide tags, if you know how to use them:

Pictures: Pictures go here, preferably 3D sprites
Description: Describe the core and how it functions here
Usual Sets: Provide sets in PS Format
[/hide]

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
repost from oras megathread

The basic premise of this core is that Metagross and Talonflame both hate Heatran, even with the Hammer Arm on Gross which is w/e good coverage and all that. Dugtrio traps Heatran nicely so both of these (AgiliGross + Jolly SD Talon btw) can go to town. It also traps TTar for Talon which is nice because Talonflame kinda hates TTar, and potentially trapping the likes of Greninja on a revenge kill, Mega Diancie (another annoying Talon check), Bisharp (revenges Metagross with Sucker Punch and causes annoying mindgames with Talon), Jirachi (checks Metagross tanking its STABs and having annoying Body Slam paras plus the potential Fire Punch), and Magnezone (for obvious reasons) are all pretty great reasons to use Dugtrio with these two Pokemon. Obviously needs Defog support, but overall this can be a pretty devastating offensive core with Speed, power, and crucial trapping to take out some of these mons checks. I don't have many good replays because I usually don't say them, but I have this game against ABR which kinda showcases Dugtrio and how this core can work effectively.

The Metagross doesn't have to be Agility, I was just kinda intrigued by the ability to outspeed all the revenge killers and potentially smash through a lot of teams. Also gives it a bit more license to run Hammer Arm which is nice bc Ferro is annoying.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-177092783

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Agility

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

POST REPLAYS PLEASE FRENS (help show how the core works, that it works, and that you didn't just think of a cool core and post it)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass

Basically, 2/3rds of a FWG core. These two mons have amazing synergy together, and cover up each of their their weakenesses really well. MCamerupt is vulnerable to Water types and Ground types, particularly Keldeo, Azumarill, MGyara, Slowbro, Lando-I and Excadrill which Celebi can switch into without too much difficulty (Celebi even beats CroBro thanks to Nasty Plot). Celebi also hard counters Rotom-W which is a massive pain for MCamerupt since it's pretty much the only electric type it can't beat. In return, MCamerupt checks Steel types that like switching into Celebi like Bisharp, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory, as well as fire types like the Zards, Heatran, and Victini. Celebi is also fantastic at giving a free switches into MCamerupt thanks to Baton Pass, hopefully baiting in something it can take advantage of easily. Also, god help your opponent if you manage to pass a NP boost to Camerupt. Just pair this up with a bulky Water, preferably one that can take on the likes of Talonflame, Mamoswine, Greninja and Landorus-T and you have yourself a really solid FWG core, and you can make the rest of the team as Electric-weak as you damn please since no Electric type is ever going to be able to do anything to a team containing this core with the exception of Earthquake+Flamethrower EVire

Also, bonus core!

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Reflect Type

The idea behind this core was very simple. Bee hates rocks. Star removes rocks. Therefore, Bee likes Star. Most Beedrill teams rely on offensive pressure to ensure rocks never go up in the first place, but a more balanced Beedrill team can actually work quite well as I discovered. Starmie and Beedrill actually have pretty good synergy together besides one spinning for the other, since Starmie checks Steel and Ground types that annoy Beedrill, and in return, Beedrill takes advantage of Chansey and Clefable (pretty much the only rocks setters Starmie can't beat). I soon realized that Knock Off was preferrable to Drill Run on Beedrill, firstly to smack Gengar and Ghost types in general who are huge pains in the ass for Starmie, and secondly because Drill Run is mainly for Heatran, and Starmie is pretty much the best answer to that thing there is. Even though I wouldn't say it's actually part of the core par se, I'd highly recommend Magnezone with it because, well, you're running Knock Off anyway so you might as well take advantage of that. This core really appreciates an answer to Scarf Lando-T and scarfers in general, Talonflame, Bisharp, Magnezone, Sableye, Pinsir, MMence (as long you pretend this thing is still officially part of the meta which I do not) Crawdaunt, and Weavile to a lesser extent.

Last edited:

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
repost from oras megathread

ill just post cores as i keep find them and test them. this fwg core is really cool and works very well, im posting a replay with this core as well to showcase how well sceptile and greninja does vs ho/offense. so basically this core is extremely solid vs all team archetypes as greninja + sceptile is very strong vs ho and bulky offense, then theres taunt tran to deal with stall and more bulky teams in general. what i did with this core was backing it up wiith a voltturn core + spikes to have an easier time vs bulkier teams as heatran usually won't be enough to basically shut these kind off teams down. roar heatran is utilized so subdd mence won't setup on it as well as other dd'ers, while also having the ability to shuffle up hazard damage.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178324990

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Greninja @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 20 SpD / 240 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

okay so this is a core i really like and i have to say it's very solid! as i stated in some off my earlier posts i thought dugtrio might become a decent ou pokemon once again, which it hasn't been since the bw era (sun teams and hurricane + trap) this core is very similar to how bw2 torn-t + duggy worked and it's still good. so because pidgeot + duggy is very weak to rocks and keldeo, having a good defoger + a nice answer to keldeo in one pokemon made latias a great choice, it also has healing wish which is huge for a core like this. utilizing u-turn + arena trap WILL let u trap the pokemon u want eventually as the opposing player has to predict every time, this puts a lot off pressure on ur opponent and can easely been taken advantage off as they will often overpredict. i also run hp grass on pidgeot because it beats rotom-w the last check to pidgeot since duggy beats everything else lol, hp grass 2hko's after two rounds off rocks or 1 hp grass + two hurricanes or however u want to kill it. i have to say im surprised how well this core actually worked in the current meta, but i guess trapping is one off the best playstyles in oras atm. im gonna put a replay for this core as well.

edit: heal wish latias supports the core better than latios, which means latias is the supperios choice here.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178402766

game bewteen me and jukain: showing pidgeots power

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178475847

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- U-turn

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Reversal
- Toxic

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Last edited:
I've talked this core up quite a bit in the mega speculation thread and it has worked amazingly.

+

These two are an amazing offensive core. But what they do together is outright ridiculous. Lopunny with her unresisted STAB and Greninja with his unresisted STAB just hit every pokemon as hard as freaking possible. Both are stupid fast, hit stupid hard and have 0 free switch ins, combined with Lopunny's ability to easilly click healing wish to pass to a team mate to finish the opposing team off is insane. These two although sharing two common weaknesses with each other, punch huge holes in every Pokemon in the game. What else needs to be said? They are very fit fot hyper offense together, in case that wasn't clear. Greninja getting Gunk Shot was an absolute God send making it impossible for anything to safely switch in without getting rocked by a STAB attack. Scrappy makes Lopunny's STAB resisted by nothing but Shedinja (which has been seen a few times for this reason). These two are a destructive duo when used correctly.
There are few problems for these pokemon, however. Mega Bro is a huge problem if you decide not to use Dark Pulse and scarf LandoT is also a decent size problem. Mega Mence at +1 is also a huge problem since it outspeeds and ohkos with return. I would recommend bringing something to stop the aforementioned Pokemon if you want this core to run through teams. Rotom-Wash actually works fairly well.

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Lopunny's evs are designed to give it a decent amount of bulk to live a few hits while outapeeding everything with a base 122 speed and below, this includes 232 spe Weavile. Max attack to hit as hard as possible with Dual STAB to hit everything at least neutrally. With this in mind a standard set of 252 atk and 252 spe allows Lopunny to outspeed base 80s at +1 speed (i.e Dragonite) as well as speed tie with megaman for a possible pick off. It's entirely dependant on what your team prefers.
Greninjas ev spread is simple. 40 Atk Evs allow gunk shot to OHKO all Azumarill as well as an easy 2hko on clefable who now resists its STAB thanks to protean. 252 speed to move as fast as possibleand the rest goes into special attack to hit as hard as possible on the special side.

In short, these two are hit and run hole punchers that don't really care what's coming in to take their hit and switch out if the match up is unfavorable.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-179107274
Not the best of matches, but still shows that the duo constantly puts pressure on the opponent forcing switches and residual damage.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-182480777
Another Example of the core in use.

Last edited:

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reposting this from the general thread.

(PRETEND THIS IS MEGA)

So these two guys compliment each other almost perfectly. Sub CM Keldeo is actually really underrated right now, and the great thing is that he can set up on almost all of Metagross's Checks / counters. Skarm, Mandibuzz, Mega Sableye, Mega Scizor, and Bisharp all lose to Keldeo easily, allowing the Pony to get up a free sub and potentially start setting up for a sweep. Of course, those things that wall Keldeo like the Latis, Venu / Amoonguss, and any fairy type bar azu are shredded apart by Megagross, which allows them to form a devastating offensive core. Specs is an option for Keldeo if setting up isnt your thing, but being choice locked may not be very ideal. idk. Personal preference.

Anyways, theres bound to be mons that give this core trouble, and those mons include the likes of Talonflame, Azumarill, Mega Sceptile, and Greninja (sometimes. Keldeo doesnt gaf if Ninja lacks Exrasensory / GK). Rotom-W makes an excellent teammate, as he handles all the aforementioned threat bar Sceptile, which can be handled by numerous other things such as Talonflame. Of course, no matter what you do, Mega tablemence shreks this core, but it shreks everything so it doesnt matter. Try this core out. Its good.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: lolJustified
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Last edited:
also heads up i do not always have time to add all the cores at once, so if you don't see yours in the op dont u worry i likely have not forgotten about you and just haven't gotten to it yet

Reactions: zbr

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Celebi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass

Also, bonus core!

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Illuminate
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Recover
- Reflect Type

The idea behind this core was very simple. Bee hates rocks. Star removes rocks. Therefore, Bee likes Star. Most Beedrill teams rely on offensive pressure to ensure rocks never go up in the first place, but a more balanced Beedrill team can actually work quite well as I discovered. Starmie and Beedrill actually have pretty good synergy together besides one spinning for the other, since Starmie checks Steel and Ground types that annoy Beedrill, and in return, Beedrill takes advantage of Chansey and Clefable (pretty much the only rocks setters Starmie can't beat). I soon realized that Knock Off was preferrable to Drill Run on Beedrill, firstly to smack Gengar and Ghost types in general who are huge pains in the ass for Starmie, and secondly because Drill Run is mainly for Heatran, and Starmie is pretty much the best answer to that thing there is. Even though I wouldn't say it's actually part of the core par se, I'd highly recommend Magnezone with it because, well, you're running Knock Off anyway so you might as well take advantage of that. This core really appreciates an answer to Scarf Lando-T and scarfers in general, Talonflame, Bisharp, Magnezone, Sableye, Pinsir, MMence (as long you pretend this thing is still officially part of the meta which I do not) Crawdaunt, and Weavile to a lesser extent.
Is Starmie supposed to have Illuminate?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Offensive Core: (M-Salamence, Magnezone, Dugtrio)

So some of you may or may not have seen this core but it's pretty basic. The two trappers are designed to eliminate threats to not only the team but mainly M-Salamence in order for it to sweep late game much more efficiently. Magnezone handles the majority of steel types that would give M-Mence problems while Dugtrio traps grounded opponents and provides support with Memento for added sweeping potential.

As far as problems go hazard stacking teams can make the core less efficient so pairing it with hazard removers and healing wish users can help tremendously. Greninja can also be an issue so something like Twave Clefable can help the core out as well. Gothitelle is another option to pair with the core, either choice sets or more defensive sets to make a more balanced core. Scarf and Specs are generally interchangeable on Magnezone as well.

Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Atk / 44 Def / 48 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Last edited:
+

This balanced core is so, so good. CM + stored power mega latias and coballion is a core that daftmau5 and I have used heavily and built a really effective team around. Cm stored power latias will simply destroy teams when they are lacking a dark type, but you need to remove the dark type first. Coballion is an excellent pokemon for absorbing dark attacks from weavile and bisharp, as well as providing stealth rocks, t-wave support and volt switch momentum.

Here is just one replay where cobballion displays its ridiculous bulk, t-waves mence and thus there is a latias sweep.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-178532888

This is another replay, were coballion was able to force out bisharp throughout the game, but eventually went down, but it allowed for me to take out bish and sweep with latias.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-176495726

Edit: forgot to paste the sets lol http://pastebin.com/EAuEASpk

also shoutout to Disorient for helping innovate this set.

Last edited:

ebolaking

Banned deucer.
an old core back to bw ou is standard dragmag

we all know how good salamence is and i really think freeze-dry mamoswine will be much better than in xy meta. magnezone's role is trapping steels like ferrothorn and skarmory so things that could stop salamence to setup since that's a subdd roost set. the only steel that makes you lose the setup is roar heatran which you have mamoswine for.

Salamence (F) @ Salamencite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 44 SDef / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Roost

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 240 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Rotom-W gives burns, and handles pokemon such as landorus while taking EQ and birdspam for the others. M-Beedrill can deal with fairies that may threaten these two while keeping momentum with U-turn forming a volturn core with rotom. Protecting also help's stall rotom's burns for extra damage. Bisharp can pursuit trap potential beedrill checks like choice scarf latios while offering priority for the team.

Not to mention the typing syngery with bisharp able to take dragons, rotom able to take fire, flying, and ground, and beedrill taking weak grass and fighting hits.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split/Rest

Beedrill @Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill run

Bisharp @ Life orb / Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Yup, I shamelessly copied the example core in the OP using Gallade and Bisharp, but man, it's a really solid balance core with Rotom-W included.

As it's probably been mentioned a billion times during 5th gen, Psychic/Fighting and Dark/Steel types make excellent partners to each other. Gallade quad resists fighting where Bisharp is 4x weak to it, Bisharp himself is immune to Psyshock and resists Flying and Ghost types that would give Gallade trouble. He can also Pursuit-trap the Lati twins to prevent 50/50s with Gallade in terms of Speed. Seeing as both of these mons are incredibly weak to both Talonflame and Scarf Lando-T (Bisharp can get the Defiant boost from Intimidate, but Lando needs to be at less than half for Sucker Punch to make a guaranteed kill), physically defensive Rotom-W is the essential switch-in for both, and helps spread around burns and provides momentum with Volt Switch.

This core needs something to deal with Keldeo, so I recommend having Latias as a potential team member to have a solid switch in to that.

Gallade @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus

so this is a core ive experimented with for awhile and i have to say i love it! glalie beats every single talon counter there is even rotom-w as glalie gets freeze-dry. this core is simple, abuse glalies ability to destroy talon checks then setup with talon and sweep. it's not always it's even needed to setup with talon because glalie can just boom on something that it's to weak to break through, which then lets talon sweep. im throwing in a replay as that is the best way to show off cores, also this core does need defog/rapid spin support to work to it's fullest potentiale so beware off that.

this game is in custom game as freeze-dry glalie hasn't been implemented yet.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-customgame-27439

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Naive Nature
- Return
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

so this is a core ive experimented with for awhile and i have to say i love it! glalie beats every single talon counter there is even rotom-w as glalie gets freeze-dry. this core is simple, abuse glalies ability to destroy talon checks then setup with talon and sweep. it's not always it's even needed to setup with talon because glalie can just boom on something that it's to weak to break through, which then lets talon sweep. im throwing in a replay as that is the best way to show off cores, also this core does need defog/rapid spin support to work to it's fullest potentiale so beware off that.

this game is in custom game as freeze-dry glalie hasn't been implemented yet.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-customgame-27439

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Inner Focus
Naive Nature
- Return
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance
Why Glalie over other Pokemon that destroy Talon's checks though, such as Earthquake Mega Sceptile, Life Orb Keldeo, and Life Orb Earth Power Kyurem-B? Not saying your core is bad, just wondering if Mega Glalie is worth spending your Mega slot on, or the teamslot in general..

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus
Why Glalie over other Pokemon that destroy Talon's checks though, such as Earthquake Mega Sceptile, Life Orb Keldeo, and Life Orb Earth Power Kyurem-B? Not saying your core is bad, just wondering if Mega Glalie is worth spending your Mega slot on, or the teamslot in general..
this is indeed true, but i do think glalie does have some niche over the other mentioned pokemon which ofc is explosion (lol) which also gives u a free switch into something else. also freeze-dry is a cool move, either way this was just by experimenting with glalie and i think it's a cool mon and it has amazing coverage alongside with it's ridicoulus explosion, it should have a higher base speed but i guess thats never happening :/

just fyi i will not be adding anything to the op that hasn't been confirmed yet (aka freeze dry glalie)

Yup, I shamelessly copied the example core in the OP using Gallade and Bisharp, but man, it's a really solid balance core with Rotom-W included.

As it's probably been mentioned a billion times during 5th gen, Psychic/Fighting and Dark/Steel types make excellent partners to each other. Gallade quad resists fighting where Bisharp is 4x weak to it, Bisharp himself is immune to Psyshock and resists Flying and Ghost types that would give Gallade trouble. He can also Pursuit-trap the Lati twins to prevent 50/50s with Gallade in terms of Speed. Seeing as both of these mons are incredibly weak to both Talonflame and Scarf Lando-T (Bisharp can get the Defiant boost from Intimidate, but Lando needs to be at less than half for Sucker Punch to make a guaranteed kill), physically defensive Rotom-W is the essential switch-in for both, and helps spread around burns and provides momentum with Volt Switch.

Gallade @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Close Combat

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
will add this core, but am leaving out rotom-w from the core itself and will put under 'recommended teammates.' actually i'm just going to go ahead and add all the mega medicham cores from the vr thread and replace them with gallade, which i don't think will be met with much resistance

I kind of agree with Mega Sceptile as a good member for Talon, as he can come in on Rotom-W's Volt Switches and Hydro Pumps. Just needs to watch for Willos, though, since he's using EQ.

Ok, cores that work well with Medicham in no means work well with Gallade. Knock Off completely redefines the paramreters of what the pokemon is capable of, and as a result Gallade is much more self sufficient. Added bulk and speed make it a completely different mon, just because they have the same typing and are physical attackers doesn't mean they operate in the same way... If you want good partners for Gallade, I think you want a polar fighting type more than anything else, or something to switch into fairies. Sure, Bisharp can hit them with Iron Head, but it pales in comparison to what Talonflame or Heatran can do. (You're going to need something separate for Azumarill. Polar fighting type basically means Keldeo, who struggles with the opposite set of mons- Venusaur and Latias, while Gallade appreciates stuff like Landorus-T being disposed of.

here's a solid core imo

This is a really solid offensive core :]. Providing a nice FWG core ALONG with a DFS core. These pokemon switch into each other's weaknesses quite comfortably and they all provide solid offensive pressure.
M-Sceptile is a very nice, fast grass type, while CB Azu hits like a truck and breaks walls easily for sceptile and tran and is a nice fighting resist. ScarfTran is pretty nice revenge killer and with a modest nature is quite powerful :] also handles birdspam for Sceptile :]
This core doesn't need much other than entry hazard support and entry hazard removal. Other than that tell me how you like the core :]].

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Bluwing

icequeen
is a Tutor Alumnus

so this is basically a very similar core to the one jacksoras posted, but i think this one is more viable as keldeo can also reliably beat mega gyarados which otherwise is a huge problem to the cobalion core. this core is very straight forward, use keldeo to remove dark types that check latias and sweep which is basically whats going to happen lol. anyway the biggest pain to this core is by far mega sableye so something like clefable makes a good teammate as long as either a stealth rocker or even making an dual cm core. anyways mega latias is very strong and maby a bit too good for this meta, as a team without an dark type will struggle a ton vs this set.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178799670

this pokemon is ridicoulus

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178807354

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
Ok, cores that work well with Medicham in no means work well with Gallade. Knock Off completely redefines the paramreters of what the pokemon is capable of, and as a result Gallade is much more self sufficient. Added bulk and speed make it a completely different mon, just because they have the same typing and are physical attackers doesn't mean they operate in the same way... If you want good partners for Gallade, I think you want a polar fighting type more than anything else, or something to switch into fairies. Sure, Bisharp can hit them with Iron Head, but it pales in comparison to what Talonflame or Heatran can do. (You're going to need something separate for Azumarill. Polar fighting type basically means Keldeo, who struggles with the opposite set of mons- Venusaur and Latias, while Gallade appreciates stuff like Landorus-T being disposed of.
just because you can run knock off on gallade doesn't mean you have to, if you choose to run gallade like an amped up medicham then go for it. to say cores that work well with medicham don't work with gallade, now that just aint tru. also i fail to see what keldeo does for gallade besides remove bisharp, which there are way more synergetic mons out there that can easily do the same thing.
here's a solid core imo

This is a really solid offensive core :]. Providing a nice FWG core ALONG with a DFS core. These pokemon switch into each other's weaknesses quite comfortably and they all provide solid offensive pressure.
M-Sceptile is a very nice, fast grass type, while CB Azu hits like a truck and breaks walls easily for sceptile and tran and is a nice fighting resist. ScarfTran is pretty nice revenge killer and with a modest nature is quite powerful :] also handles birdspam for Sceptile :]
This core doesn't need much other than entry hazard support and entry hazard removal. Other than that tell me how you like the core :]].

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
this core is worth a mention and was once i frequently used at the beginning of oras, but in practice i've found SD talonflame to be a much better option for this offensively, otherwise this core gets tyrannosaurus rekt by scarf keldeo and, ironically, other sceptile.

so this is basically a very similar core to the one jacksoras posted, but i think this one is more viable as keldeo can also reliably beat mega gyarados which otherwise is a huge problem to the cobalion core. this core is very straight forward, use keldeo to remove dark types that check latias and sweep which is basically whats going to happen lol. anyway the biggest pain to this core is by far mega sableye so something like clefable makes a good teammate as long as either a stealth rocker or even making an dual cm core. anyways mega latias is very strong and maby a bit too good for this meta, as a team without an dark type will struggle a ton vs this set.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/orasou-178799670

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
idk if this is really worth a mention as it's just a beefed up version of lati@s + keldeo, which is already a super common combination even in XY
Reposting this from the general thread.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: lolJustified
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

(PRETEND THIS IS MEGA)
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Anyways, theres bound to be mons that give this core trouble, and those mons include the likes of Talonflame, Azumarill, Mega Sceptile, and Greninja (sometimes. Keldeo doesnt gaf if Ninja lacks Exrasensory / GK). Rotom-W makes an excellent teammate, as he handles all the aforementioned threat bar Sceptile, which can be handled by numerous other things such as Talonflame. Of course, no matter what you do, Mega tablemence shreks this core, but it shreks everything so it doesnt matter. Try this core out. Its good.
i want to put this in the op but i'm lazy as dicks so can you reformat it pls thx

also it'd be gr8 if we could churn out some more defensive cores

Last edited:
an old core back to bw ou is standard dragmag

we all know how good salamence is and i really think freeze-dry mamoswine will be much better than in xy meta. magnezone's role is trapping steels like ferrothorn and skarmory so things that could stop salamence to setup since that's a subdd roost set. the only steel that makes you lose the setup is roar heatran which you have mamoswine for.

Salamence (F) @ Salamencite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 44 SDef / 40 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Return
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Roost

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 240 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Spear
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Do you find yourself missing the power of Cspecs Maggy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)