Other Trick Room Playstyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. M-Heracross has around that speed iirc, yet it is among the only viable tr sweepers we have left. Clef is one of the go-to switch ins for M-Heracross, but that hasn't affected the usage of herra too much. Azu wrecks tr herra 1v1, smashing it with Play Rough, bit despite this, tr M-Heracross is still a viable set. Victini is another great example of this, being a lot faster at base 100, except Victini has a powerful move to lower it's speed, so being under-sped isn't as much of a problem. I'd say higher than base 100 is too fast for tr, but anything lower is absolutely fine, with some team support.

Don't get me wrong though, Tyrantrum is still a piece of crap.
Neither of those pokemon wants to switch into TR Hera. Clefable gets 2HKO'd Bullet Seed, and Azu goes down hard to Bullet Seed.

But I agree with you about the speed thing. I think 80 is the cap, unless you decrease your speed like Victini. Honestly, speed isn't that big of a deal with so many fast top tier pokemon running around in ORAS. No one is going to nerf their speed just for TR, when it means being outsped by paralyzed base 100+s.

Neither of those pokemon wants to switch into TR Hera. Clefable gets 2HKO'd Bullet Seed, and Azu goes down hard to Bullet Seed.

But I agree with you about the speed thing. I think 80 is the cap, unless you decrease your speed like Victini. Honestly, speed isn't that big of a deal with so many fast top tier pokemon running around in ORAS. No one is going to nerf their speed just for TR, when it means being outsped by paralyzed base 100+s.
Actually, Rock Blast has a 0.4% chance to 2hko the standard set after lefties, whereas Moonblast is a guaranteed 2hko.
But yeah, especially in ORAS, base speed isn't near as important as it used to be, with all these monsters running around. I would even push it to say that 105 would be fine most of the time, other than facing opposing clefs and azus.

This might be a question for SQSA but I was wondering what recommendations everyone has for a 4th moveslot on LO TR Victini? Ive been running TR / V-create / Bolt Strike / Focus Blast, I initially had Focus Blast for Tran but I dont find myself using it very often and it does like 0 to spdef tran. Thoughts?

This might be a question for SQSA but I was wondering what recommendations everyone has for a 4th moveslot on LO TR Victini? Ive been running TR / V-create / Bolt Strike / Focus Blast, I initially had Focus Blast for Tran but I dont find myself using it very often and it does like 0 to spdef tran. Thoughts?
How about Brick Break? It 2hko's with SR, and has 43% to w/o Rocks.

Just been testing this in regards to the following set i've been thinking about lately

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Prankster | Impish
Rest | Sleep Talk | Trick Room | Knock Off

Works out pretty decently. Switch in on something and rest off any damage that turn. Sleep talk gives TR Priority +1.

Last edited:
Wow, there's actually a Trick room thread?
I've been using playing Trick Room since Gen IV, and my playstyle seems to be kinda different to the one in the OP. It pretty much involved 3 Trick Room abusers almost completely dependent on TR being up, and 2 mons who's roles were almost exclusively setting TR up, and then 1 to patch up the flaws in my team. I would lead with Trick Room (and Stealth rock if possible), get one of my abusers in safely, wreck for 3 turns pivot into one of my setters, set up TR, get one of my abusers in on a resistance or weak attack, and repeat.
My most successful team was:
Bronzong/Slowbro/Reuniclus/Conkeldurr/Ursaring/Mawile
I got above 1600 on ladder without trying but then Mawile got banned before I could ladder with it :'( Now that Gen VI is out though, I'll probably start trying it again.

I'm also just going to post an Ursaring set I used. Despite being rather bad outside of TR, in a full TR team he provides a switch in to ghost types with his immunity. He also hits really freaking hard. You do need to switch him in so he gets the Guts and Facade boost the next turn.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP 252 Atk 4 SDef
Brave nature
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Earthquake/Return

As a reference, he does 87.6% - 103.4% to 252/0 Gliscor (KO after Stealth Rock) and hits almost as hard as Choice Scarf Kyogre.

Yeah, Ursaring it's a pretty powerful sweeper in perfect conditions. But you just aren't going to have perfect conditions against skilled players. Outside of TR it's dead weight, it doesn't check anything and it has no priority. It's bulk isn't even that good to tank hits from this generation. Inside of TR you'll have a rough time getting it in without sacking something because of SR, Burn/Toxic and average bulk with no resistances. And even when it is in, you'll have to worry about priority which will cut the timer on Ursaring down considerably, if not KO it.

Wow, there's actually a Trick room thread?
I've been using playing Trick Room since Gen IV, and my playstyle seems to be kinda different to the one in the OP. It pretty much involved 3 Trick Room abusers almost completely dependent on TR being up, and 2 mons who's roles were almost exclusively setting TR up, and then 1 to patch up the flaws in my team. I would lead with Trick Room (and Stealth rock if possible), get one of my abusers in safely, wreck for 3 turns pivot into one of my setters, set up TR, get one of my abusers in on a resistance or weak attack, and repeat.
My most successful team was:
Bronzong/Slowbro/Reuniclus/Conkeldurr/Ursaring/Mawile
I got above 1600 on ladder without trying but then Mawile got banned before I could ladder with it :'( Now that Gen VI is out though, I'll probably start trying it again.

I'm also just going to post an Ursaring set I used. Despite being rather bad outside of TR, in a full TR team he provides a switch in to ghost types with his immunity. He also hits really freaking hard. You do need to switch him in so he gets the Guts and Facade boost the next turn.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP 252 Atk 4 SDef
Brave nature
-Facade
-Close Combat
-Crunch
-Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Earthquake/Return

As a reference, he does 87.6% - 103.4% to 252/0 Gliscor (KO after Stealth Rock) and hits almost as hard as Choice Scarf Kyogre.
Toxic Orb is generally better. It does less total damage on turn one and two, ties on turn three, and only starts hurting more than burn orb by the 4th turn (which is when Trick Room will have already run out anyway).

Juuust curious if anyone's hyped about Adaptability Dragalge under TR.

I'm not so familiar with the style & have the feeling that stacking physical wallbreakers is generally more efficient, but Dragalge is literally the most beautiful pokémon a veritable nuke and has great natural bulk to take on offensive threats like Keldeo, Raikou/Thundy/Mega-Mane in or out of TR.

Dragon / Poison / Fighting (Focus Blast) gives perfect coverage in OU, so maybe dual Dragon STAB or HP Fire (tho Focus Blast does exactly the same amount to 4x fire weak frens) or Shadow Ball for M-Metagross would be worth it. Again I don't want to deny that I'm talking out of my ass & am a TR newbie. Any team with Chansey comes in freely & saps away your TR turns, but I imagine your other TR sweepers (Crawdaunt? Mega Hera?) shouldn't give two fks about Chansey + Ferro.

Specs lets it decimate offensive steels like Bisharp even with Draco Meteor; LO means you get to Focus Blast/HP Fire the initial Steels & then still shoot off a Draco Meteor at your leisure. Does this special nuke have a place on a TR team?

Last edited:
Works out pretty decently. Switch in on something and rest off any damage that turn. Sleep talk gives TR Priority +1.
Prankster gives all non damaging moves +1 of their current priority. TR has -7 priority, so with prankster its up to -6 and doesn't go first. If you want a fairy TR setter go with aromatisse instead

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Prankster gives all non damaging moves +1 of their current priority. TR has -7 priority, so with prankster its up to -6 and doesn't go first. If you want a fairy TR setter go with aromatisse instead
Except that Sleep Talk has +0 priority, so it can theoretically nab priority Trick Room. That said, it's pretty luck based and means you're spending a minimum of two turns to activate TR, even if you get it on the first try. Not a fan.

no, when you're asleep and use Sleep Talk, Trick Room has a priority of +1 via ST.

EDIT: oops looks like above cleared that up

So trick room possible oras additions:
Mega Camerupt
Volcanion
Hoopa
MegaSlowbro
Diggersby+Pangoro new moves.

So not all that much new stuff. Least Hera has compition from camerupt and slowbro now

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So trick room possible oras additions:
Mega Camerupt
Volcanion
Hoopa
MegaSlowbro
Diggersby+Pangoro new moves.

So not all that much new stuff. Least Hera has compition from camerupt and slowbro now
Don't forget the god of everything:

This guy seems like it has a lot of potential. 44 Base Speed is AMAZING for Trick Room, and its wallbreaking prowess on the Special side is nearly unmatched (seriously, what else does 44% to blissey on the special side). It certainly isn't flawless, since with Draco Meteor it'll have to switch out a bit. But, part of Dragalge's flaws in "normal" play is that fast stuff like Latios, Alakazam, and Excadrill force it out. Under Trick Room, it outspeeds and OHKOs them all. It also, unlike Crawdaunt, has really solid bulk and a great defensive typing that lets it function decently without Trick Room.

Mega Camerupt seems promising as well. It, like Dragalge, boasts pretty good bulk and a decent typing, and when combined, they allow it to check basically every Electric-type other than Rotom-W. It's really powerful, and Fire/Ground/Rock/Grass coverage is nearly unresisted.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I built one Trick Room a couple of days ago after some inspiration from helping someone with theirs and I've been having lots of fun utilizing it. It includes this core right here along with M-Ampharos and the Diancie+Cresselia Core just to give you an idea of how it's being used.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Pangoro (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Superpower
- Parting Shot

Azumarill (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Double-Edge
- Aqua Jet

Specs Eruption Heatran is just pure power. Only the bulkiest of resists can actually take a hit well when Heatran is fully healthy along with coverage to break down other offensive and defensive cores. Pangoro provides an answer to M-Sableye and check to M-Bro, bulky psychics in general that can stomach the hits from Azu and Heatran and provides solid offensive and defensive synergy outside of bulky ground and fighting types. That's where Azumarill comes in as it threatens the ground and fighting types would threaten this core. Life Orb on the last two is more for giving me choices as to not lose momentum on a playstyle where momentum is key. As mention the partners I include M-Ampharos, Lunar Dance Cresselia, Diancie are some good partners. Considering the talk of Dragalge I can assume that it would be a solid partner as a secondary special attacker having synergy with Heatran similar to M-Ampharos more or less. There's room for variation, changes, and improvements so by all means try this as a foundation if utilizing Trick Room.

Don't forget the god of everything:

This guy seems like it has a lot of potential. 44 Base Speed is AMAZING for Trick Room, and its wallbreaking prowess on the Special side is nearly unmatched (seriously, what else does 44% to blissey on the special side). It certainly isn't flawless, since with Draco Meteor it'll have to switch out a bit. But, part of Dragalge's flaws in "normal" play is that fast stuff like Latios, Alakazam, and Excadrill force it out. Under Trick Room, it outspeeds and OHKOs them all. It also, unlike Crawdaunt, has really solid bulk and a great defensive typing that lets it function decently without Trick Room.

Mega Camerupt seems promising as well. It, like Dragalge, boasts pretty good bulk and a decent typing, and when combined, they allow it to check basically every Electric-type other than Rotom-W. It's really powerful, and Fire/Ground/Rock/Grass coverage is nearly unresisted.
I feel ashamed for forgetting it

Here's a cool set I've been trying out:

Gallade (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Close Combat
- Destiny Bond
- Memento

From playing Trick Room pretty extensively I've found a very common issue for Trick Room teams is Bisharp. Most Trick Room setters are (a) Psychics/Ghosts, (b) Fairies or (c) Porygon2 - all of which hate the Iron Head/Sucker Punch/Knock Off combo. That's where Gallede comes in, being neutral to both and easily threatening Bisharp out (plus getting an attack boost if it - or anything - uses Knock Off). It's also neutral to Bug, which compliments Psychic Trick Room users on your team nicely.

Close Combat has great synergy with Trick Room Destiny Bond, making you more and more susceptible to a KO so you can choose to either use Memento and bring in a set up sweeper (Belly Drum Azumarill being the best) or Destiny Bond if you know the opponent is going to cause you problems. It also gives you a way to take out ghosts should the need arise.

Here's a cool set I've been trying out:

Gallade (M) @ Focus Sash
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Close Combat
- Destiny Bond
- Memento

From playing Trick Room pretty extensively I've found a very common issue for Trick Room teams is Bisharp. Most Trick Room setters are (a) Psychics/Ghosts, (b) Fairies or (c) Porygon2 - all of which hate the Iron Head/Sucker Punch/Knock Off combo. That's where Gallede comes in, being neutral to both and easily threatening Bisharp out (plus getting an attack boost if it - or anything - uses Knock Off). It's also neutral to Bug, which compliments Psychic Trick Room users on your team nicely.

Close Combat has great synergy with Trick Room Destiny Bond, making you more and more susceptible to a KO so you can choose to either use Memento and bring in a set up sweeper (Belly Drum Azumarill being the best) or Destiny Bond if you know the opponent is going to cause you problems. It also gives you a way to take out ghosts should the need arise.
why not just use MegaHeracross, Conk, or machamp?

Hello everyone! I've come back from the dead just to give my 2 cents.

I've been using the "gimmick" trickroom since the beginning of DPPt, and I have found that you have to do as much damage as possible during your first tr.
The nature of a TR team should be one that will surprise your opponent and rudely knock them out of their comfort zone. This is the main reason I am not
opposed to having a suicide lead whose sole purpose is setting up TR and then getting out of the way so that your sweeper has 3 solid turns. If the explosion
manages to kill or cripple a poke, then, all the better!

As for the other two TR setters, my main choice is typically porygon 2. It has great bulk, allowing it to set up TR with ease. The fact that it can have BoltBeam
and have a fast Recover in TR is invaluable. Of course, it's main weakness is Knockoff. This isn't usually an issue how ever, since I normally use a M-Scizor on
my team. He can easily switch into the dark type attacks that threaten the TR setters, his item can't be knocked off, and he functions as the mandatory priority
user for the team.

Sorry for the lengthy post! Trickroom is, and always will be, a favorite subject of mine!

Except that Sleep Talk has +0 priority, so it can theoretically nab priority Trick Room. That said, it's pretty luck based and means you're spending a minimum of two turns to activate TR, even if you get it on the first try. Not a fan.
Ah forgot about Sleep talk, thanks for clearing it up :] Still seems a bit gimmicky imo tho

why not just use MegaHeracross, Conk, or machamp?
Because they can't set Trick Room - which is the point of the set. It's clearly EVed as support and not to sweep. As I said, it can solve several problems for TR teams that have too many Dark, Bug, Poison and Steel weaknesses from use of Fairies, Ghosts and Psychic types. An alternate set for this you could run is:

Gallade (M) @ Focus Sash
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Drain Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Memento

Allowing you to lower their offensive stat either by burning (for physical attackers) or by Memento (for special attackers or physical attackers where you want a clean switch into a sweeper). Drain Punch is probably a better choice over Close Combat for recovery/longevity. You can also have a Lum Berry instead of a Focus Sash on Gallade if you have trouble with Breloom leads and don't have a better solution (which is the case for my current team) - allowing you to Trick Room and then get a burn in before he Spores you.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with MegaHeracross, Conkeldurr and Machamp on a TR team - all of which are decent choices - but that wasn't the point of this set.

Just been testing this in regards to the following set i've been thinking about lately

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Prankster | Impish
Rest | Sleep Talk | Trick Room | Knock Off

This is a terrible set, and has no utility whatsoever. Firstly, you can't guarantee you'll use Trick Room with Sleep Talk. Secondly, if you use Trick Room twice in a row by Sleep Talking, it will turn Trick Room off - which is not in the least desirable. Lastly, Whimsicott is really lacking in bulk to set Trick Room more than once - and there's really no reason with this set not to just switch a set up sweeper straight in and go to town. I really wouldn't advise using this - or Whimsicott in general - for Trick Room.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Whimsicott isn't too bad on UU Trick Room teams (though not with the above set). Encore gives it opportunities to set up, Prankster is still useful because it means its high Speed isn't a liability under TR, and it has Prankster Memento and a "slow" U-turn to safely bring in your next sweeper. Alongside Aromatisse, it's one of the few TR setters that doesn't fear Knock Off. I suspect that OU just hits too hard for it to work here, though.

Last edited:
Heeeello, new user here, came in to attest to the greatness of TR Whimsicott with a few (rather old) replays~~

With a set of:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash / Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Trick Room
- Memento / U-Turn
- Taunt
- Encore

Whimsicott is just great at grabbing momentum from the enemy's hands and can be relied upon to do something nearly every match.

I'll prove my point with a few replays; they are mostly on the Battle Spot Ladder, and fairly low-ladder at that, but the concepts of Whimsicott's capacities still apply to OU and other tiers Whimsi is allowed in!

On this here replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104703438

I played real badly the first turns, but the turn they sent out a supporter (Sableye), Whimsi could grab back all the lost momentum, set up TR, and go away, costing the opponent a lot in the hands of Reuniclus~~

On this other replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-173354833

Whimsicott is capable of shutting down the enemy supporter (again, Sableye), and from there, with a combination of TR and (priority!) Memento, ensure Mega-Maw got a SD in, and from there, it's GG, as whoever faced Mega-Maw knows~~

And on this other replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-175128694

Due to a combination of Focus Sash and priority Memento, Whimsicott is safe enough to use Taunt on the face of the potential Sludge Bomb in order to block the Taunt; if it was Sludge Bomb (and didn't poison), the Focus Sash would ensure Whimsi could at least use its wonderful priority Memento to ensure that Cofagrigus could come in unharmed, set up on the face of that -2 Gengar, and pull the game to a similar result~~

TL;DR: Whimsicott can use Taunt and Encore to grab back a lot of momentum, gets access (unmatched by any other TR setter) to priority Memento to ensure ir puts in work in mostly any game even if it doesn't get to set up the TR, and is a great 'mon that any TR enthusiast should give a try~~

Has anyone tried a Trick Room spread on Mega Gardevoir?

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Healing Wish / Psyshock
- Memento / Will-o-Wisp

I've been using it and it's pretty nice. Though you'd think it'd be too fast to pull off Trick Room with base 100 speed, the meta is typically pretty speed obsessed so it's not the problem you may imagine. For the speed tiers themselves, you'll outspeed anything base 70 with investment under Trick Room and uninvested base 80s outside Trick Room - with these rough rules of the thumb you can make Gardevoir work in your favour (bare in mind it also has a speed of 80 on the mega-evolution turn, outspeeding invested base 60s under TR and uninvested base 70s outside of TR). Hyper Voice hits like a truck, and can OHKO significant portions of the meta with ease:

252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 108 SpD Mandibuzz: 468-552 (110.6 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 462-546 (152.9 - 180.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 303-357 (101.3 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 337-397 (123.8 - 145.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 288-339 (96.9 - 114.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gallade: 444-524 (159.7 - 188.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 303-357 (94.9 - 111.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 546-644 (169 - 199.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 274-324 (101.1 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 64 HP / 0 SpD Mega Altaria: 482-570 (157 - 185.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 252-297 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

At the very least, it will put a big dent in them:

252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 303-357 (83.2 - 98%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 167-197 (50 - 58.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Clefable: 274-324 (69.5 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 303-357 (79.3 - 93.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 111-132 (37.3 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Diancie: 168-198 (69.7 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 244 HP / 192+ SpD Gliscor: 231-273 (65.6 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal

I could go on, but you get the picture. Gardevoir is OHKOd by only Bisharp and Charizard-X on the above list and 2HKOd by Extreme Speed Dragonite (even Landorus with Sludge Wave fails to OHKO with SR) so even after SR damage it can get Trick Room set. Outside of Bullet Punch and Talonflame Banded Brave Bird (the latter of which any TR room team needs to be able to handle) it's not overly weak to priority either. What's more Hyper Voice also hits behind subs, another way people like to handle Trick Room teams by using subs to stall out turns.

Healing Wish and Memento give it great utility, allowing it either create a set up opportunity with the latter or bring a sweeper who has good bulk already back from the brink with the former. Alternately, you can exchange one or both of these moves with Destiny Bond, Will-o-Wisp or something like Psyshock to give it more of a punch and versatility - however Destiny Bond is a bit tricky to use correctly, Will-o-Wisp doesn't allow you to bring in a sweeper undamaged Memento can (or lower special attack) and Psyshock doesn't add much more coverage (you can OHKO Gengar and some other Poison types, but that's about all it offers). Lastly, it's base ability Trace can allow for some shenanigans if you use it right - getting an Intimidate in on Landorus-T for example or Download boost off of Porygon2. It's best paired with a Steel type due to it's weakness to Poison and Steel moves, so something like Scizor can be useful and can also pivot and set up sweep on TR teams.

Last edited:
Hey there, trying to build a TR team under ORAS, for now I have Slowbro, Porygon2, Chandelure as setters, Rhyperior, Breloom and Mega-ampharos as sweepers (Chandelure can both set TR and sweep). I'm wondering if I should drop Chandelure as base 80 speed is really high even with - nature and it doesn't seem bulky enough to be comfortable setting up TR, unless when forcing a switch (the idea I had using him was to be able to lure Fighting attack directed against Porygon2).

I'm really considering replacing it with Adaptability Dragalge, but I fear losing the fire and ghost STAB. It also doesn't solve the Earthquake weakness my team has at the moment. Chandelure also has the following boons:
* hits hard and can (?) work outside trickroom
* can have Taunt to open up opportunity to set up TR
* still somewhat bulky although typing doesn't help, I'd probably run it with Air balloon

Is Chandelure really too fast to be considered for TR? Is there a better option than Dragalge to replace it? (please excuse my noobiness if any is to be found in this post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)