Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^I chuckled, but I'm rather tired of reading hyper-nitpicking psycosexual allusions of subconscious sexism. A lot of it is recycled from similar readings of Apollo 13 and 2k1 Space Odyssey... I agree regarding the points of character development though.
Because
A. Docking procedures are taken from real life space projects, and it IS a sensitive act that causes a sigh of relief when done. Short of dreaming up a whole new method to do it, there's nothing that could have been done about it. Science endeavor bases itself on pragmatism, not vague gender diplomacy. It's a really unfair reading Nolan couldn't do anything about unless the movie was based around a female pilot. Which you really can't demand. And Daredevilry =/= Machismo.

B. The Space Exploration = Virgin Flesh metaphor, is a very personalized historical reading. Again really nothing you could do about it, any narrative aspect of seeking uncharted territory will be prone to that reading. It's more of historical commentary rather than a fault. She calls the movie a product of "man’s arrogance and selfish, rational thought and destructive survival instincts", which is a very post-colonial, neoclassical reading but I don't like how she engenders the negative drives of humankind. "An inelegant thesis statement on masculinity and hubris." she says. God forbid if Dr. Mann were played by a woman, then she'd probably bash Nolan for burdening womankind with an illusory like Eve's original sin that almost doomed mankind or something.

Sudden Pacing issues in the script apart (won't spoil can't be assed to put more hide tags) that ultimately harmed character development, I thought Interstellar was a magnificent Sci-Fi movie. Though I'll shy away, barely, from calling it a masterpiece, the magnitude of the work is massive nonetheless. Plus the silent homage to all the old school sci-fi movies like 2001, etc was a nice touch.

Last edited:
Okay so after seeing Interstellar for a third time today, I've come to the conclusion that it's a cinematic masterpiece, but in terms of its quality as a film, there are a few jarring flaws (namely its clunky dialogue, abundant exposition and its need for force-feeding the audience rather than letting them work it out themselves)

Still a 5-star film due to the experience, but it's not Nolan's best.

Let's keep it civil, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss other people's opinions.

Poorly supported opinions should be criticized. This is a discussion forum after all, not a private blog.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
(abundant exposition and its need for force-feeding the audience rather than letting them work it out themselves).
Are you kidding me? If you want over-exposition then that's what Joseph Gordon-Levitt's entire fucking job was throughout inception (seriously the dude wouldn't fucking shut up). Nolan actually toned it down a lot in this one. I would have liked some more exposition in the ending bit to explain
how he didn't fucking get spaghettified when he fell through the black-hole along with that robot (remember, the movie prides itself on being realistically modelled), among other things regarding the gravity dynamics. I mean I get Gravity can transcend all dimensions but at least give me some grounding instead of making it a superpower that breaks all the rules you established throughout the movie
among other things

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
So I just watched "Now You See Me" on HBO (the movie about four magicians announcing they'd rob a bank on stage and then thriller ensues), and I had pegged this movie for a movie I wanted to see in that regard long ago. Critics weren't too favorable for it, but it seemed like a cool heist movie concept, so if it was ever on HBO or TV, I'd stop and watch it. Maybe even download it and watch it if I was bored enough one day.

Having seen it, I can safely say this: Holy shit do I regret that decision.

I fucking LOVED this movie. At it's core it's a movie about truths. How our own hubris of what we think we know can blind us from what we don't. How the truth is nebulous and ultimately our own truths are simply what we believe in. How this belief can be exploited, but also how our beliefs are made all the more important for not being necessarily truth.

There's also an overall throughline about morality and justice, and how because the truth isn't solid justice can take many forms.

And this is all played elaborately well through the lens, with the director manipulating the information the viewer gets and dropping enough hints about the heist and plot to make you think you know the whole picture, only to reveal that even you can succumb to the very hubris of knowledge that the movie is decrying. Each and every character interacts with these ideas representing one reaction or another to the truth or what they believe.

This movie was A fucking + and I recommend it to fucking everyone.

Ok so my Top 10 Films 2014 since the year is coming to a close. Due to me not being able to see 18s (in cinemas), and UK release dates, haven't had a chance to see a ton of films I want to (Gone Girl, Birdman, Whiplash, Enemy, Foxcatcher). Still, it's been a pretty darn great year for films.

10.Chef, directed by and starring Jon Favreau, is a joy to watch from start to finish. While it certainly doesn't carry a large amount of emotional heft and drama, that's not the point; Chef's lack of cynicism is refreshing, where Favreau only intends to take the audience on a culinary journey with a heartwarming family (including a child actor that's actually good!) and some excellent dishes. The film follows Favreau as he decides to start a food truck business with his family directly after a disagreement at his previous restaurant. As he begins the journey, comedic moments, family bonding and feel-good moments ensue. With a stellar cast (Robert Downey Jr's cameo a particular highlight), a soundtrack guaranteed to make you smile and succulent meals that will make any sane audience member's stomach rumble, Chef earns its number 10 spot with aplomb.

9. Jake Gyllenhaal's Lou Bloom almost steals the show in Nightcrawler, directed by newcomer Dan Gilroy. Unsettling and intense, the film focuses on Bloom's pursuit of his twisted version of 'The American Dream', where he chooses to start a crime footage business. Hiring a hapless intern, brilliantly played by Four Lions' Riz Ahmed, the film spirals into insanity as Bloom's actions grow increasingly more hungry, dangerous and sinister. While the performances are mesmerising at times - Rene Russo's Nina, a television news producer should also be included in this appraisal - they hardly carry the film; the script is sharp, the pacing is perfect and the cinematography is beautiful - the LA streets haven't looked this sleek since Nicolas Winding-Refn's Drive.

8. The New Zealand indie What We Do In the Shadows is 2014's funniest pure comedy. Taking the recently flooded vampire premise and turning it on its head, the film is a mockumentary that mainly follows three vampires (and later a fourth) through their endeavours and antics while living in a house as flatmates. Performances are strong and the sparse effects are used well, but the hero of this flick is its witty script, producing fantastic one-liners - "We're werewolves, not swearwolves" and "No, you can't kill the cameramen. Maybe one cameraman." - and hilarious situations, including a literal bat fight, that had the audience laughing their heads off.

7. As far as blockbuster-esque films go, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (that's quite am mouthful) is one of the best of the decade. Building upon its predecessor's success, the film offers more thrilling action sequences, greater special effects, a larger amount of moral ambiguity, and all while maintaining its quality to a vast target demographic. Stunning scenes (a particular 360-degree action shot comes to mind) make up large portions of the film; it follows the struggle between humans and apes ten years after the pandemic that wiped out the majority of humans. The tension between the two parties build, and inevitably boil over as mutiny and treachery unfold. Andy Serkis delivers a stunning performance (though not an Oscar-worthy one, like many claim) that is aided by the remarkable special effects that seamlessly fit into the film.

6. The greatest animated movie since PIXAR's Up, The Lego Movie is a hilarious addition to Christopher Miller and Phil Lord' filmography, proving their worth as one of the best recent writer/director pairs (the Jump Street franchise proves that). The film is beautifully animated, made to look like classic stop-motion; it's a wise decision that gives the film a stylistic, creative tone and sets itself apart from the current flood of 3D animations. As far as plots go, it's surprisingly eloquent and meaningful for a children's film - following a regular guy (Chris Pratt) who's mistaken as 'The Chosen One', he sets himself on an adventure, joined by a crew featuring the voice talents of Elizabeth Banks, Morgan Freeman, and a Batman brilliantly written and played by Will Arnett, as they attempt to stop an evil businessman (Will Ferrel) from world domination. The gags are thrice-a-minute, hitting you fast and with little rest. It's a joy to watch the plot unfold, where its animation, witty script and well-written characters provide the audience with one of the most fun movies to view in ages.

5. Released in the UK in 2014, Inside Llewyn Davis is one of the Coen Brothers' best, featuring a script as achingly depressing and darkly comedic as you would expect from the pair of directors. One of the strengths of the Coens is their ability to create interesting, oft-hilarious characters while maintaining a sense of believability, and that's no more apparent here as the titular character (played brilliantly by Oscar Isaac) is confronted with such characters as Carey Mulligan's spiteful ex-lover, John Goodman's disturbed jazz musician, Adam Driver's eccentric friend, and Garret Hedlund's constantly-smoking poet. The array of offbeat characters don't burden the brooding, droll script; it's both hilarious and discouraging to watch Davis as he struggles through his life, let down by both his luck and his faulted endeavours. The film is aided by some great folk-songs on display, where Carey Mulligan and Justin Timberlake are a particular highlight. The cinematography, too, is excellent, capturing a nostalgic atmosphere as well as its brooding tone.

4. Director Richard Ayoade's follow-up to his critically acclaimed Submarine, The Double more than dispels any doubts about Ayoade's talent as a filmmaker. The Double is truly excellent, and would be higher on any list if 2014 wasn't such a fantastic year for films. Jesse Eisenberg plays both Simon James and James Simon - one an introverted slither of a man, another a confident, charmingly dangerous double, his entrance sending Simon James (and only Simon James) into delirium. Simon Jame's pursuit to befriend and seduce his love interest (Brilliantly played by Mia Wasikowska) is halted by his double's antics, and a rivalry forms, and spirals out of control. Adapted off of a Dostoyevsky novella, the flick has a suitably bleak and claustrophobic feel that increases tension tenfold. It's a deeply polarising production that will turn away many critics - its subtle humour and crazed plot points will confuse and frustrate as much as it will entertain, but that's no matter - it's an ingenious film that bludgeons the audience with symbolism, wit and an ending that forces the audience to stay attentive. While both the direction and the performances are terrific, they don't overshadow the striking, musty cinematography (its claustrophobic feel increased by a lack of any sunlight shown) and a pumping, mechanical soundtrack fitting of what the film tries (and succeeds) to present.

3. Interstellar is not a perfect film. Brimming with exposition, a tendency to force-feed the audience, and clunky dialogue, Nolan's latest is frustrating at times. Despite all this, watching Interstellar in IMAX 70mm was my favourite cinematic experience of my life thus far; so good, I watched it twice more. Nolan is oft-criticised (though I disagree) with being technically fantastic but emotionally distant. Interstellar serves as an antithesis to this point with some heartbreaking scenes - one particular children-to-father segment being a standout. Yet the director maintains his technical prestige with one of the year's best cinematography - certainly the year's best special effects. The effects - accompanied by Hans Zimmer's amazing score that boasts soulful organs - lead to some amazingly vast and overwhelming scenes - a giant wave captivates the audience magnificently - as does the brooding tension of a perceived antagonist trying to dock incorrectly. As far as performances go, each actor brings a verve and sentimentality about them that allows them to escape their caricature. Interstellar was my most anticipated film of 2014, and it didn't let me down. It may have left me slightly frustrated, but that's only because I know its minute shortcomings prevent the sci-fi epic from becoming a masterpiece; the fact that it received such mixed reviews is mind-blowing given how impressive the film was - a clear portrayal of how expectations of Nolan have risen dangerously high.

2. Wes Anderson is one of my favourite, if not my favourite modern directors. The Grand Budapest Hotel is my new favourite of his (muscling out The Royal Tenenbaums),a delightful and charming tale of a hotel and its owner (magnificently played by Ralph Fiennes, fitting seamlessly into his against-typecast comedic role), aided by a lobby boy (Tony Revolori, also fantastic) in attempting to steal a world-renowned painting (to which they rightfully own), encountering villainous characters and obstacles in the form of iron bars. It's deeply funny, with slapstick moments ("Died he just throw my cat out the window?") and classic Anderson humour ("You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. ") that add to the flick's breakneck pace. Yet it's also subtly sorrowful - a war subplot is sparsely mentioned but cuts through the comical facade like butter, hinting at a much more tragic backdrop. The mood isn't dampened too much, however - eye-globbering visuals, Desplat's nostalgic score and Ralph Fienne's off-kilter performance is enough to maintain The Grand Budapest Hotel's stylistic perfection. There is little to fault with the film, and if it wasn't being released in the same year as the final film on this list, it would surely make the top spot...

1. And here we have my favourite film of the year; Linklater's Boyhood is a moving, fascinating and honest depiction of life - not just life as a boy, as the title suggests, but life as a sibling, life as a father, life as a single parent. The film is a 3-hour epic that feels anything but; it's reserved and raw, subtle in its portrayal of the important things in life. Events in the film appear as strands - not adding up to anything and simply in a state of being. While this could be perceived as a criticism, it's quite the opposite - this is life, true life, and not what is shown in the slew of coming-of-age flicks. Each event holds great sentimental value and weight when pieced together - you feel as you are living the life of Mason (Understatedly played out by Ellar Coltrane) - Linklater's ability to eek out naturalness is uncanny. Boyhood isn't just ambitious - it's a structural masterpiece and a film that will be remembered for a very long time. I've now seen this film twice and it hit me harder the second time - the mere thought of Coltrane's life squeezed from an expanded state into a production is oddly profound - a sentiment shared by Mason's mum (Patricia Arquette in what should surely earn her an Oscar nomination, if not a win for best supporting actress) as she utters the devastating line "I just thought there would be more". Resonating deeply with me - and most likely many more out there - Boyhood is an eloquent portrayal of life and the moments worth living for.

Also all films released this year in a rating-based format:

Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Interstellar
The Double
Inside Llewyn Davis

The Lego Movie
Chef
X-Men Days of Future Past
Riot Club
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Nightcrawler
Calvary
The Maze Runner
22 Jump Street
What We Do In the Shadows

Noah
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
The Inbetweeners 2
Under the Skin
American Hustle
Wolf of Wall Street
The Interview

Godzilla
Guardians of the Galaxy
Locke

Transformers: Age of Extinction

but the hero of this flick is its witty script, producing fantastic one-liners - "We're werewolves, not swearwolves"
Just a little fun fact, this line is one of the handful of lines in the entire movie that was actually scripted. Almost all of the dialogue was improvised, and the particular scene that has the swearwolves line was based around it

TheValkyries

Christ above every single friggen "oscar-bait" movie out right now is a goddamn biopic. WHY?

American Sniper
Big Eyes
Foxcatcher
The Imitation Game
Mr. Turner
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Unbroken
Wild

IT HUUUUUUUURRRRTTTTSSSSS.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
nightcrawler was pretty fuckin awesome, i gotta agree with eagle4 on this one i guess even though it pains me

Eagle4: Why do you only have a 2 star rating for Guardians Of The Galaxy? To me, it was a very entertaining movie, and that is all it was. However, it was really great at that and it doesn't try to be anything else so I enjoyed it a lot. Also, Wolf of Wall Street only 3 stars? That was my favourite movie of the year by far (though wasn't it 2013?).

Also, you should watch Gone Girl if you haven't already, don't see it on your list.

I agree with you on Lego Movie, one of the funniest movies I watched in years.

Saw Birdman over the weekend. Acting, script, score, soundtrack and direction all on point. Here's hoping it does well at the Oscars :)

Seen a few films since Birdman. Some fantastic.

The Dark Knight - 5/5 - Rightfully seen as the greatest superhero film of all time, Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight is clever, exciting, wonderfully acted and admirable for neglecting to conform to generic superhero tropes.

Mood Indigo - 3.5/5 - There's quirky, and there's too quirky. While Gondry gets ahead of himself in the first half, the offputting twee settles down to simmer into a wonderful, touching second act.

Foxcatcher - 4/5 - While slow and often unable to engage fully with the audience, Foxcatcher is nevertheless a moving, horrifying tragedy led by three wonderful performances - Mark Ruffalo specifically in exquisite form.

Enemy - 4/5 - Quite what to make of Enemy is anyone's guess. Its wonderful cinematography, horrifying atmosphere and fascinating, unraveling plot accompanies another strong Gyllenhaal performance. The film's overwhelming weirdness is both the film's selling point and its burden.

Two Days One Night - 2/5 - Another dull, arduous flick from the Dardenne brothers that critics pretend to enjoy.

Donnie Darko - 4.5/5 - Ingenious and intriguing, Donnie Darko rightly earns its cult status. With strong performances and a fantastic brooding atmosphere, the film is nevertheless hindered by old-fashioned caricatures.

Whiplash - 5/5 - An intense, gripping, entirely-engrossing flick made a music masterpiece by the two central performances of Miles Teller and -especially- J.K Simmons.

The Theory of Everything - 3.5/5 - Elevated by two stunning performances, The Theory of Everything just about manages to captivate, despite its inability to escape melodrama and an underlying sense of soapiness.

And my Top 50 films since 2010, in case anyone is interested (bring on the hatersss)
1. Drive
2. Inception
3. Boyhood
4. The Grand Budapest Hotel
5. The Place Beyond the Pines
6. Moonrise Kingdom
7. Cloud Atlas
8. Whiplash
9. Submarine
10. The Great Gatsby
11. Mr. Nobody
12. The Double
13. Life of Pi
14. Scott Pilgrim vs the World
15. Chronicle
16. Birdman
17. Interstellar
18. Gravity
19. Filth
20. Inside Llewyn Davis
21. The Dark Knight Rises
22. The Lego Movie
23. Only God Forgives
24. The Imposter
25. Toy Story 3
26. Attack the Block
27. Anna Karenina
28. The Social Network
29. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
30. Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
31. Exit Through the Gift Shop
32. Upstream Color
33. Black Swan
34. The Master
35. X-Men: First Class
36. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
37. The Act of Killing
38. Captain Phillips
39. What We Do in the Shadows
40. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
41. Zero Dark Thirty
42. Les Miserables
43. The Impossible
44. Paddington
45. Foxcatcher
46. Biutiful
47. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
48. 21 Jump Street
49. Nightcrawler
50. Silver Linings Playbook

TheValkyries

On Birdman, Film Crit Hulk said it all better than I could.

Film Crit Hulk said:
HEY FOLKS. A LOT OF YOU INQUIRING BUT ITS HARD TO HAVE THE BIRDMAN CONVERSATION WITHOUT HULK COMING OFF LIKE "ATTACKING" VIEW OF OTHERS. HULK JUST HONESTLY THINKS THE MOVIE ITSELF HAS A REALLY JUVENILE / SURFACE VIEW OF FAME, SUPERHEROES, ART, REGRET, LOVE, CRITICISM, ET ALL. AND AGAIN, ITS NOT JUST THAT THE CHARACTER HAS THAT WORLDVIEW, ITS THE MOVIE'S VIEW OF THAT CHARACTER. ALSO ALSO, INCREDIBLE ED NORTON PERFORMANCE VET WORTH SEEING.

AND HONESTLY, ALL HULK'S BIRDMAN FEELINGS TAP INTO SOME ONGOING INARRITU FEELINGS HULK'S HAD, BEST EXEMPLIFIED BY AN EXAMPLE... SO THERE'S A PART IN BABEL WHERE RINKO KIKUCHI GOES INTO A DANCE CLUB AND WE ARE MEANT TO SEE HOW STRANGE THIS IS FOR HER... IT'S ALL COMPLETELY SILENT AND THE LIGHTS FLASHING AND SHE IS SO "APART" FROM THE WORLD... NOW HERE'S THE THING: YOUNG DEAF KIDS LOVING GOING TO LOUD, BASSY CLUBS BECAUSE IT'S THE ONE PLACE THEY CAN "FEEL" THE MUSIC AND BE A PART OF THE WORLD LIKE THAT AND HULK FEELS LIKE IF THIS WAS DELVED INTO WHATSOEVER, IT WOULD HAVE CAME OUT. BUT INSTEAD THERE WAS AN ASSUMPTION OF WHAT IT'S LIKE... HULK CAN'T HELP BUT SAY THAT THAT'S WHAT INARRITU'S WORK ALWAYS FEELS LIKE: "AN ASSUMPTION OF WHAT IT'S LIKE." THAT BEING SAID, HE'S SUCH A GREAT "PURE TECHNICAL" FILMMAKER HULK HOPES HE ALWAYS PUTS IT TOGETHER WITH GREAT SOURCE MATERIAL. IE HIS NEXT ONE IS A FUR-TRAPPING REVENGE MOVIE... HULK IS SO THERE. (OKAY END RANT SORRY, FOLKS)
And then later

FILM CRIT HULK retweeted: this is how Emma Stone's character came off to me: an assumption of what "Millenials" are like.

PUT IT THIS WAY: BIRDMAN : ITS THEMES :: LUCY : ITS THEMES. (LUCY IS JUST MUCH MUCH EASIER TO LAUGH *AT*)

Ok so I saw 7 films released in the UK in 2015 this January. They were (In order of me liking it to disliking it):

1. Whiplash -
- An intense, often hilarious, entirely-engrossing flick made a music masterpiece by the two central performances of Miles Teller and -especially- J.K Simmons.

2. Inherent Vice -
- Incohesive, long and dialogue-heavy, Inherent Vice has all the potential to flounder. Yet under the steady (or rather, wild) hands of director Paul Thomas Anderson, the film becomes a psychedelic, incredibly enjoyable ride, supported by the best cinematography of 2014, a rockin' soundtrack and a plot as daring as it is unhinged.

3. Birdman -
- 2015 starts with a bang - the hotly-awaited Birdman is technically perfect and astoundingly intelligent - its messages hit home and its characters are deftly acted; Keaton bringing raw emotion and comic complexity to his role that will surely place him as a frontrunner for the Oscar.

4. Ex-Machina -
- Alex Garland's slick directing debut is an assured, claustrophobic sci-fi that manages to be wildly entertaining while still posing meaningful philosophical questions. If its intriguing premise and sumptuous nature shots don't convince you, a particular Oscar Isaac dance scene is worth the ticket price alone.

5. Foxcatcher -
- While slow and often unable to engage fully with the audience, Foxcatcher is nevertheless a moving, horrifying tragedy led by three wonderful performances - Mark Ruffalo in especially exquisite form.

6. Enemy -
- Quite what to make of Enemy is anyone's guess. Its wonderful cinematography, horrifying atmosphere and fascinating, unraveling plot accompanies another strong Gyllenhaal performance. The film's overwhelming weirdness is both the film's selling point and its burden.

7. The Theory of Everything -
-
Man, the boy can act.

Yet another addition to the increasing abundant amount of biopics released in 2014, director James Marsh’s The Theory of Everything tells the story of Stephen Hawking, and how the tragic case of his motor neuron disease affected his life, and more importantly, his love life. From an aspiring physicist to a terminally-ill patient, the plot is interesting enough to maintain attention to the film, though never enough to truly captivate the audience.

As far as performances go, The Theory of Everything is one of the best of the year. Eddie Redmayne is incredible as Hawking; his mannerisms perfect, pained emotion sprawled over his face and limp hands delicately poised. While Keaton looks to be the frontrunner for his turn in Birdman, an Oscar is an achievable, and deserving award for a man of Redmayne’s talents. Felicity Jones, too, portrays Hawking’s strong-willed wife with superb subtlety. Her hinted frustration and tragic admiration of Hawking is conveyed with aplomb by Jones. Her performance is only overshadowed by Redmayne.

It’s a shame then, that such a complex and intriguing performance is burdened by an underdeveloped and shallow character. The portrayal of Hawking’s terrifying motor neuron disease is moving and sentimental while rarely being manipulative. The raw showcase of such a frightening and difficult disease is deserving of more appreciation by its audience: to act in such a way as to make having the disease completely believable is incredibly challenging, taking every last ounce of energy. And while the depiction of Hawking’s disease is spot-on, that’s sadly all we get to see: our view of Hawking’s character never delves under the skin, showing the damage it causes but never Hawking’s own sentiments towards it. Redmayne’s character becomes a vehicle for the disease – a huge negative of the film when considering its ambition.

And while The Theory of Everything does wonders to portray the romance weaved throughout Hawking’s life, you can’t help but feel that this biopic is one big opportunity missed; Stephen Hawking is a spectacular character and deserves more attention towards other aspects of his life – his overwhelming intelligence and achievements are mentioned and shown, but all play second-fiddle to a wavering, melodramatic romance that may not be out of place in an ITV soap. A much more expansive portrayal of Hawking’s life would work wonders: the flick’s potential to rivet is degraded into a film that merely manages to uphold interest.

As far as biopics go, The Theory of Everything is much more entertaining than most. Yet it cannot escape biopic conformities; aside from incongruous cinematography, there is very little to set this flick apart from its competition. It contains outstanding performances, but so do Mr. Turner and The Imitation Game, 2014’s other critically-acclaimed non-fictional character studies. The Theory of Everthing is worth watching for the performances alone – but the film is only a decent one, with its rather confined plot rendering it unable to excel.
January is always a great month for films in the UK since it's when all the films released in the US in time for the Oscars come out. Next month looks more sparse in terms of good-quality films, but I'm seeing Kingsman: The Secret Service on 1st Feb (today or tomorrow depending on where you live), which should be good fun.

The other, non-2015 films I saw Jan 2015 were:

O Brother, Where Art Thou? -

The Dark Knight -
- rewatch
Mood Indigo -

Two Days, One Night -

Donnie Darko -

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy -
- rewatch
Only God Forgives -
- rewatch
Mulan -

The Guard -

The Grand Budapest Hotel -
- rewatch
Cloud Atlas -
- rewatch
Three Idiots -
- rewatch

Apologies for double posting, my Inherent Vice review in full:

5/5

Incoherent Vice would be a much more suitable title.

Incohesive, long, and dialogue-heavy, Inherent Vice has all the potential to flounder. Yet under the steady (or rather, wild) hands of director Paul Thomas Anderson, the film becomes a psychedelic, incredibly enjoyable ride brimming with wit and melancholy. The film follows Larry ‘Doc’ Sportello (played in routinely magnificent fashion by the now ever-reliable Joaquin Phoenix), and his exploits to help his ex-girlfriend, Shasta Fey (Katherine Waterston, also exquisite) investigate a kidnapping of notorious real-estate billionaire Mickey Wolfmann. From there, the plot descends (or ascends, depending on your perspective of the film) into sumptuous lunacy; a mystery involving the coveted and secretive ‘Golden Fang’, a fascinating encounter with a figure named Adrian Prussia, and a charming, nostalgic tale involving a Ouija board all intertwined into the flick’s increasingly crazed plot.

It’s a stoner noir that gives the audience the impression of being stoned themselves – a startling achievement by both P.A Anderson and Thomas Pynchon, the writer of the book that this flick is adapted from. It’s not about the end result, but about the journey; plot threads aimlessly disappear and reappear, often left unresolved amid the concoction of brewing story lines; told from the perspective of Doc’s weed-frazzled mind. Yet despite the apparent attempt to confuse and toy with the audience, the flick is never not-fascinating. As the opening credits appear, you’ll find a big grin spreading across your face – barely disappearing during Inherent Vice’s 148-minute run time.

Part of this is due to the film’s soundtrack – just like its plot, it’s a daring and muddled mix in equal measures, an amalgamation of Jonny Greenwood’s terrifically periodic score, and the various offerings of artists, each with a booming, bombastic track to deftly support what’s on screen; Vitamin C, Here Come the Ho-Dads, Simba, and Les Fleur all stand-out as proudly and brilliantly as Doc’s sideburns. They also help contribute to Inherent Vice’s wonderful, tonal atmosphere – the turn of the 1970’s portrayed on screen with expert precision.

The atmosphere created is also helped enormously by the director’s use of large format film, fabricating a musty, saturated quality that wouldn’t be possible to produce otherwise. Inherent Vice also features the best cinematography of any film released in 2014 – which is saying a lot when considering Birdman and The Grand Budapest Hotel were both released last year. Each shot is filmed with typical P.A Anderson-ian perfection, outmuscling his previous effort, The Master, for beauty alone.

And all this praise without truly referring to the acting – yes, the acting is something special too. Joaquin Phoenix brings his deranged, frustratedly lackadaisical persona to the forefront, and it works wonders. Doc is equal measures of composure and insanity, a brewing mix of hippie goodness that is juxtaposed expertly by the straight-faced ‘Bigfoot’ (Josh Brolin), a hippie-hatin’ detective that surprisingly features as the figure that prises the most laughs from the audience. Less surprisingly, he’s portrayed excellently by Brolin, shrouding himself in a subtly affectionate sentimentality; his character depth, where sexuality and sentiments towards Doc remain ambiguous throughout, elevates the film to a whole other stratosphere. He’s a character with a comical facade and an aura of sadness.

Katherine Waterston, who plays the main female lead as Doc’s ex-girlfriend, must be mentioned too. A relatively unknown face, she brings fragility and vulnerability to the storyline, where her chemistry with Joaquin Phoenix forms much of the crux of the film. She stands out expertly in one particular scene – a sensual, sorrowful discussion with Doc that culminates in silently affectionate sex; leaving the audience in a similarly hushed state. The scene is a showcase of Waterston’s acting range and capabilities, and she handles the challenging task with aplomb.

The same can be said for all of Inherent Vice’s bloated jumble of characters, each adroitly played; Martin Short helming a terrific cameo, and only Owen Wilson debatedly miscast. Their encounters with Doc contribute as the overall chassis of the plot, and if you can withstand the initial tedium, it plays out beautifully. Inherent Vice works on so many levels; an accurate portrayal of life in 1970, an intriguing mystery and crime drama, a fantastic character-study, and a poignant tale of love and paranoia. Inherent Vice may not be for everyone, but if it works, it works wonders – a gem of a film with a myriad of vibrant characters and a plot as smart as it is unhinged.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
Goddamn guys go watch Whiplash. easy 5/5.

Oh wait, I'm a damn jazz fan on top of that.
6/5

sue me.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm seriously very curious how many cups of coffee the Wachowskis have shit in to have so many critics just downright lie about their movies.

Jupiter Ascending is not their best movie, mostly because it's so normal in terms of cinematography, linearity, pacing, and tone, but then how the fuck does something basically as good as Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy get like 20% on Rotten Tomatoes? It might not be the best movie I see this year, but it was very fun and created a really cool sci-fi setting, the main character was also very endearing. The goods really outweighed the few bads (beginning is somewhat weak, esp compared to recent Wachowski offerings).

TheValkyries

vonFiedler probably critics are just spoiled from seeing a ton of great shit from the Wachowskis recently if they were fans of them, and then there's the large group that just kinda hates on them regardless because they're nerds.

By the sounds of it people are kinda like "what the fuck this is so pedestrian, and why the fuck is Channing Tatum being broody rather than funny?"

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
If they were spoiled by the last two films they sure as shit could have shown it when those films were reviewed. But yeah maybe the latter. Sometimes you have to wonder if all the secrecy and lgbt stuff factors.

And 99% of movies that are reviewed better than JA are pedestrian, this is unambitious for them but it's a still a genuine sci-fi movie (the action felt unimportant compared to the world building) and as fun as any we've seen in the last few years.

I have long suspected that critics turn their brains off when watching these movies, but they're challenging enough that you have to pay attention to really be rewarded by them. JA on the other hand was not challenging, but I still see critics whining about how unexplained things are. There was nothing that wasn't fucking obvious long before the movie spelled it out, so how much do people's hands need to be held here?

Last edited:
If they were spoiled by the last two films they sure as shit could have shown it when those films were reviewed. But yeah maybe the latter. Sometimes you have to wonder if all the secrecy and lgbt stuff factors.

And 99% of movies that are reviewed better than JA are pedestrian, this is unambitious for them but it's a still a genuine sci-fi movie (the action felt unimportant compared to the world building) and as fun as any we've seen in the last few years.

I have long suspected that critics turn their brains off when watching these movies, but they're challenging enough that you have to pay attention to really be rewarded by them. JA on the other hand was not challenging, but I still see critics whining about how unexplained things are. There was nothing that wasn't fucking obvious long before the movie spelled it out, so how much do people's hands need to be held here?
Critic are professionals with degrees please respect them. Thank you.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
as good as star wars and gotg? lmao you're joking right?
The only joke is appreciating them for being somehow more than just hammy space operas. Jupiter Jones is way better than Luke Skywalker, though Cain is no Han Solo. JA was a hammy space opera and was pretty thoroughly enjoyable as one. It's like people can't enjoy themselves anymore unless they are told it's ok. When I watched JA, the audience (bigger than I'd expected but smaller than I'd hoped) enjoyed themselves as much as any marvel movie I've been to, and applauded when the credits rolled. Moments were funny without demanding nearly as much attention as post-Avengers Marvel. The MC was charismatic and showed a sense of agency and heroism without needing to be a "strong woman". The most gripping action scene was just two weaklings beating each other up with a pipe, very evocative of the emotion filled lightsaber fights of Return of the Jedi. The setting was a meticulous mix of familiarity and alien culture that made things equally interesting and understandable, as well as aiding the necessary task of explaining the world to viewers. And while the cinematography wasn't a Wachowski 11, it was still an easy 10. All of these are very good qualities.

No one can point out actual bad qualities to me, just that it's a hammy space opera. I just see reviews with stupid shit like "waaaaa why does earth have a queen" (it doesn't, were you paying any attention?). If you go into Star Wars or GotG with no plans to suspend your disbelief and no tolerance for scene chewing, you'd hate those too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)