Other ORAS Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what blasty's made to do; take a hit and one shot the opponent. Plus, I always run max HP. Is that a weird set? Should I be speed creeping more?

Any one use sticky webs effectively?
I had an idea since a popular offensive core is ninja+mLop atm and sticky webs would make stuff like gallade, diance, mamoswine (esp mamo) more difficult to revenge for those teams.
Just wanna hear anyones thoughts about webs. I think they have potential to be great.

With all due respect:
1) read the general rules of this forum;
3) if a moderator (let alone an administrator) asks you to drop a certain subject, you just do it.
1)
  • Do not talk about whether or not something should be banned outside of designated Suspect Test discussions
I believe this is the rule that your are referring to. Unless my grasp of the English language is incomplete, this does not include suggesting something to be suspected. If the person says something is broken or goes into deep discussion about its brokenness or lack thereof I could understand your point but I don't believe that merely suggesting it may be worthy of being suspected falls under this rule and if it does it should be made clear in the rule.

3) Just to be clear I was never arguing about dropping the point. I just felt that unless stated otherwise(like you did in your post), merely suggesting(by one or two people, less the thread get off topic like I pointed out in my earlier post) that something may be worthy of testing should be allowed.

That's what blasty's made to do; take a hit and one shot the opponent. Plus, I always run max HP. Is that a weird set? Should I be speed creeping more?
Well it still dies if its hit on the switch so it doesnt really counter any of those things. Thats why being 2hko'd means its not an effective counter if predicted against.

You can't really bring up suspect test without implying talk of banning though, imo.

Anyway what I came here to say was

Any one use sticky webs effectively?
I had an idea since a popular offensive core is ninja+mLop atm and sticky webs would make stuff like gallade, diance, mamoswine (esp mamo) more difficult to revenge for those teams.
Just wanna hear anyones thoughts about webs. I think they have potential to be great.
I always find web setters to be a bit lackluster, and as defog is arguably more prominent than rapid spin it's not too difficult to remove the effect. I think Empoleon/Skuntank are the only defog using pokemon that are affected by sticky web.
Although, I suppose this is why Galvantula is the premier web setter, as it can nicely deal with flying type defoggers, or volt switch to something to keep lati@s off the field.

I've never ran web support before, the bug typing and its disadvantages always put me off, so I'm also curious for any experienced insight.

haunter

Banned deucer.
1)
  • Do not talk about whether or not something should be banned outside of designated Suspect Test discussions
I believe this is the rule that your are referring to. Unless my grasp of the English language is incomplete, this does not include suggesting something to be suspected. If the person says something is broken or goes into deep discussion about its brokenness or lack thereof I could understand your point but I don't believe that merely suggesting it may be worthy of being suspected falls under this rule and if it does it should be made clear in the rule.

3) Just to be clear I was never arguing about dropping the point. I just felt that unless stated otherwise(like you did in your post), merely suggesting(by one or two people, less the thread get off topic like I pointed out in my earlier post) that something may be worthy of testing should be allowed.
What part of:
5. In threads discussing the metagame, do not assume any particular Pokémon are banned. Additionally, do not suggest that certain Pokémon should be banned, or that they will probably be banned. Finally, do not post predictions on which Pokémon will be banned. When we'll have enough information on the new games, the OU tiering council will discuss about an initial banlist for the standard OU metagame.
is too difficult for you to understand?

The rules are in this thread and its caption is "REQUIRED READING".

Now, please, stop derailing the topic. Thank you very much.

You can't really bring up suspect test without implying talk of banning though, imo.

Anyway what I came here to say was

I always find web setters to be a bit lackluster, and as defog is arguably more prominent than rapid spin it's not too difficult to remove the effect. I think Empoleon/Skuntank are the only defog using pokemon that are affected by sticky web.
Although, I suppose this is why Galvantula is the premier web setter, as it can nicely deal with flying type defoggers, or volt switch to something to keep lati@s off the field.

I've never ran web support before, the bug typing and its disadvantages always put me off, so I'm also curious for any experienced insight.
Really? I always thought shuckle was the best. Stealth rocks + sticky web + encore for anything foolish enough to try and set up on it and bulk to get up rocks/webs more than once. Back to mega blasty, though; I never said it countered any of those things. It just deals with them. Again, I'm not saying OMFG BLASTOISE 4 UBERS M8, I just think that it could move up a teeny bit due to venu's relative rarity nowadays. C seems a bit low for something so...decent. Not fantastic, but certainly better than mega absol.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah Galvantula is really bad, it's an extremely unreliable SW setter with no way of stopping Pokemon from using it as setup fodder, unlike Shuckle who has Encore as well as SR (which is really important since that means you don't have to fit another web setter on your team)

also I'd argue that MAbsol is a lot better than MToise in ORAS but to each their own I guess. I never understood why you would use MToise over Starmie or Tentacruel tbh, they just seem to do its job better.

Yeah Galvantula is really bad, it's an extremely unreliable SW setter with no way of stopping Pokemon from using it as setup fodder, unlike Shuckle who has Encore as well as SR (which is really important since that means you don't have to fit another web setter on your team)

also I'd argue that MAbsol is a lot better than MToise in ORAS but to each their own I guess. I never understood why you would use MToise over Starmie or Tentacruel tbh, they just seem to do its job better.
Eh, I like the bulk. Plus, aura sphere + dark pulse hits pretty much everything hard with zero setup. Absol's got the defenses of a wet paper bag; it this priority-happy metagame, that tends to work against the...is it a cat? Mammal thing. I dunno. Anyway, both of those megas tend to just miss out on the kill (without an SD up, in absol's case), but mega blastoise can actually live the badly weakened opponent's counterattack, unlike emocat. I have used mega absol in the past, but was never really impressed.

Mega Absol has gotten a lot better imo. Knock Off+Play Rough being legal together now is huge for it. It can actually use mono-attacking Mega Sableye to get up a quick SD, which not many (any?) other things can say. It's also got a shot at beating Mega Slowbro if it avoids one Scald burn. It's really good as a stallbreaker, and 115 speed is still a very good place to be, even with the speed creep. Thundurus making a comeback also helps it, as Absol in general plays well against it and doesn't get stopped cold by it.

Really? I always thought shuckle was the best. Stealth rocks + sticky web + encore for anything foolish enough to try and set up on it and bulk to get up rocks/webs more than once. Back to mega blasty, though; I never said it countered any of those things. It just deals with them. Again, I'm not saying OMFG BLASTOISE 4 UBERS M8, I just think that it could move up a teeny bit due to venu's relative rarity nowadays. C seems a bit low for something so...decent. Not fantastic, but certainly better than mega absol.
From my experiences, smeargle is the best setter atm. It can spore rotom leads and whirilwind anything that sets up. Also shuckle is a free mega evo for metagross. Smeargle can just spore it.
They both have their advantages.

Mega Absol has gotten a lot better imo. Knock Off+Play Rough being legal together now is huge for it. It can actually use mono-attacking Mega Sableye to get up a quick SD, which not many (any?) other things can say. It's also got a shot at beating Mega Slowbro if it avoids one Scald burn. It's really good as a stallbreaker, and 115 speed is still a very good place to be, even with the speed creep. Thundurus making a comeback also helps it, as Absol in general plays well against it and doesn't get stopped cold by it.
Y'know, I completely forgot about thundy. I don't think you can really say it can frequently beat megabro, though. That's like saying mega pidgeot can beat heatran if it confuses it with hurricane and just belieeeeeeeeeves. Well, maybe not that bad. But still. What's absol gonna do to megabro? Knock off? Swords dance and, like you said, pray to acreus it doesn't get burned? Play rough is pretty nice for godleye and gallade, I'll give you that. Actually, I forgot this; blastoise can deal with megagross (if the turtle doesn't get nailed by a ZH on switch in) camerupt (ofc), and greninja lacking grass knot (which are pretty common) but can't really do much to altaria. Maybe it's just that I've never had a problem with emocat. Like, every single time I've seen one, it's killed one mon. Max. Don't even get me started on how few have actually set up swords dances.

From my experiences, smeargle is the best setter atm. It can spore rotom leads and whirilwind anything that sets up. Also shuckle is a free mega evo for metagross. Smeargle can just spore it.
They both have their advantages.
Here's my issue with smeargle: you only have one shot to do anything. If your opponent has a decent defogger/rapid spinner (like mega blastoise ;w;), that essentially leaves you with five pokemon. Not...not exactly ideal, y'know? Smeargle isn't even that fast; I don't know the base speed off the top of my head (75...? I think?), but it's below 100. And then there's taunt (unless lol mental herb because smeargle got dat bulk [<--please nobody read that seriously]). And magic bounce.

Mega 'Stoise is better than Starmie and Tentacruel due to its extreme coverage, good mixed bulk and the ability to spin even against a Ghost-type, due to Foresight. Blastoise's main problem is the opportunity cost and, to a lesser extent, no reliable recovery. I've always thought Starmie is outclassed by Mega Blastoise, it's just that the water starter takes up the mega slot when you could use other stuff such as Mega Pinsir or Heracross. With that said, I agree that Mega Blastoise should rise to C+ rank due to its ability to beat some of the new Megas, such as Mega Lopunny, Mega Sableye and Mega Beedrill, and also act as a great GeoPass receiver due to its coverage, enough Special Attack to abuse the Geo boost, and its resistance to priority (can even take Talon's CB Brave Bird).

Last edited:
Mega 'Stoise is better than Starmie and Tentacruel due to its extreme coverage, good mixed bulk and the ability to spin even against a Ghost-type, due to Foresight. Blastoise's main problem is the opportunity cost and, to a lesser extent, no reliable recovery. I've always thought Starmie is outclassed by Mega Blastoise, it's just that the water starter takes up the mega slot when you could use other stuff such as Mega Pinsir or Heracross.
Starmie is a lot better than Mega Blastoise. Mega Blastoise has the major disadvantage of taking up a Mega Slot, whereas Starmie gives you no such restriction. Furthermore, Starmie is a lot faster, and still hits really hard. Starmie was outclassed during Aegislash days because Aegislash beat the living hell out of Starmie, whereas Blastoise had no problem with it, but with Aegislash gone, Starmie is a lot easier to fit onto teams, much moreso than Mega Blastoise.

EDIT: Tentacruel is okay, I think it has a niche on stall now, but whether it > Mega Blastoise cannot be drawn from my own experience

Talking of Absol, on a non-swords dance set what would be the last move? Sucker Punch, Knock Off and Play Rough are obvious, but I'm struggling for the last slot - maybe Superpower?

Talking of Absol, on a non-swords dance set what would be the last move? Sucker Punch, Knock Off and Play Rough are obvious, but I'm struggling for the last slot - maybe Superpower?
Do you even need Play Rough, seems pretty inferior to other options to me? Iron Tail hits fairies really hard which is good.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Probably Fire Blast for Ferrothorn who can otherwise be a pain, or even Ice Beam for Phys Def Lando-T. Superpower could also be nice since it nets you an OHKO on Bisharp.

Lol, mention a possible suspect one time, get shut down immediately.

Anyways, that "opportunity cost" is mToise's biggest problem. It is bulky, but do to its lack of recovery it's worn down very easily over time. Tentacruel at least has black sludge, but it also has knock off, and acid spray to aid its fellow team mates. Starmie has the ability to hit hard and spin as well as reliable recovery. They also don't take up a mega slot, which is the biggest problem for mToise. It just has stiff competition with pokes with less costly attributes.

Starmie is a lot better than Mega Blastoise. Mega Blastoise has the major disadvantage of taking up a Mega Slot, whereas Starmie gives you no such restriction. Furthermore, Starmie is a lot faster, and still hits really hard. Starmie was outclassed during Aegislash days because Aegislash beat the living hell out of Starmie, whereas Blastoise had no problem with it, but with Aegislash gone, Starmie is a lot easier to fit onto teams, much moreso than Mega Blastoise.

EDIT: Tentacruel is okay, I think it has a niche on stall now, but whether it > Mega Blastoise cannot be drawn from my own experience
There was still the problem of Doublade and Jellicent, and now in ORAS, Mega Sableye. Also, Starmie cannot really handle the new Megas, considering most of them either outspeed or can take a Hydro Pump and OHKO.

On Absol: It should probably drop considering it's too frail to do its job consistently, relies on Sucker Punch and has 4MSS, though Knock Off + Play Rough is now legal on it.

The

EDre was still the problem of Doublade and Jellicent, and now in ORAS, Mega Sableye. Also, Starmie cannot really handle the new Megas, considering most of them either outspeed or can take a Hydro Pump and OHKO.

On Absol: It should probably drop considering it's too frail to do its job consistently, relies on Sucker Punch and has 4MSS, though Knock Off + Play Rough is now legal on it.
Jellicent is bad in OU anyways, Starmie and Keldeo are the only two things you would use it to beat, and against Doublade and Mega Sableye:

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD (Mega) Sableye: 161-191 (52.9 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Doublade: 142-169 (44 - 52.4%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Sure, Doublade can potentially beat Starmie, but with just a little prior damage, Starmie will bust through it.

Mega Metagross and Diancie can actually lose to Starmie, as Metagross cannot OHKO with Grass Knot, nor can Diancie with Diamond Storm, whereas Starmie outspeeds both and 2HKOs the former, OHKOs the latter. Mega Lopunny cannot OHKO it either, Mega Sceptile does beat it but cannot switch in. (EDIT: Mega Gallade only beats Starmie if it carries Knock Off, let time pass to see what coverage becomes most common for Gallade)

Everybody makes this argument that X is too slow to beat all of these Megas, when in reality, their match-up one-on-one is not that bad.

EDIT: And Starmie also has Analytic, so switching either Doublade or Sableye into it is an even worse idea

Last edited:
Y'know, I completely forgot about thundy. I don't think you can really say it can frequently beat megabro, though. That's like saying mega pidgeot can beat heatran if it confuses it with hurricane and just belieeeeeeeeeves. Well, maybe not that bad. But still. What's absol gonna do to megabro? Knock off? Swords dance and, like you said, pray to acreus it doesn't get burned? Play rough is pretty nice for godleye and gallade, I'll give you that. Actually, I forgot this; blastoise can deal with megagross (if the turtle doesn't get nailed by a ZH on switch in) camerupt (ofc), and greninja lacking grass knot (which are pretty common) but can't really do much to altaria. Maybe it's just that I've never had a problem with emocat. Like, every single time I've seen one, it's killed one mon. Max. Don't even get me started on how few have actually set up swords dances.
+2 Knock Off 2HKOs MegaBro. If you SD on the switch, you just need one round of not getting burned to beat it clean. Not even close to Pidgeot-Heatran.

shhhhhhh staff is listening.

I've used Starmie for a WHILE, and I've just given up on it. It's just too frail to use as a dedicated spinner, and I'm pretty sure Doublade OHKO's with a 1 Swords Dance'd Shadow Sneak
Excadrill is really frail too; it may have a high HP stat, but its defenses are a huge liability.

Swords Dance Doublade is garbage in OU; it would much prefer using RestTalk instead.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Excadrill is really frail too; it may have a high HP stat, but its defenses are a huge liability.

Swords Dance Doublade is garbage in OU; it would much prefer using RestTalk instead.
Excadrill is more susceptible to common priority. ex: mach punch, aqua jet, etc......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)