Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haunter said on a recent Soul Dew thread that we're "Not making Soul Dew OU legal any time soon". Does that mean to say Soul Dew is getting quickbanned without a suspect? And if so, why is it getting undoubtedly quickbanned without an option from the community when Megamence isn't?
Soul dew has never been legal in ou and we dont bother test obvious broken uber mons and items and soul dew is an item that would just make the lati's incredibly broken.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anything that deals well with Extrasensory Greninja, appreciates Gunk Shot/HP Fire/Low Kick Greninja walled, or needs rapid spin + tspikes.
Extrasensory greninja really isn't a thing anymore, as mega venusaur isn't nearly as common and Keldeo is hit by gunk shot. But yeah, tentacruels partners should handle electric, psychic, and ground type attacks. Hippowdon, jirachi, mega sableye, chesnaught, etc are great partners.

Extrasensory greninja really isn't a thing anymore, as mega venusaur isn't nearly as common and Keldeo is hit by gunk shot. But yeah, tentacruels partners should handle electric, psychic, and ground type attacks. Hippowdon, jirachi, mega sableye, chesnaught, etc are great partners.
It is a thing only for those who are aiming for Tentacruels, thus most things that deal with Esensory Ninja are bopped by non-Esensory Ninja

So just getting into competitive pokemon and was wanting to have a team with chansey considering she is my all time favorite. So as to that I have a few questions.
  • Chansey or go uber with Blissey?
  • Teammates with chansey? *Really like Skarmory in there or is a stealth rock pokemon better?
  • Which mega evolution would provide best synergy?

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
So I keep hearing Tentacruel is viable in this meta. What are some good partners for it?
Okay, so a few people already replied to you, and their suggestions are probably the best partners, but I'm going to take my freedom to explain why those Pokemon are especially good partners :) Assuming you are running the standard Tentacruel moveset which consists of Scald | Clear Smog | Rapid Spin | Toxic Spikes, there are quite a few Pokemon who can switch in on you almost for free, and threaten you out, too.

The most prevelant thing is probably the Lati@s, as they are fairly common, and gets a free switch-in, only fearing a potential burn. Thus, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and physically defensive Clefable make for great teammates. Tentacruel also struggles to take on Mega Sableye, Mega Sceptile, Mega Gallade, and Mega Metagross. In addition to this, strong physical attackers with Ground-type STAB, such as Diggersby, Landorus-T and Excadrill pose a threat to Tentacruel. Unaware Clefable is capable of taking on Mega Sableye, and specially defensive Clefable, and Mega Scizor can take on Mega Sceptile. Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor is great for taking on Mega Metagross, while Mega Sableye counters Mega Gallade. Chesnaught takes on Excadrill, and Diggersby to an extent, and can also pressure opposing teams with Spikes. Lastly, Landorus-T is probably the best overall partner to Tentacruel, alongside Clefable, as it checks a plethora of physical attackers, while being able to set Stealth Rock. n_n

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so a few people already replied to you, and their suggestions are probably the best partners, but I'm going to take my freedom to explain why those Pokemon are especially good partners :) Assuming you are running the standard Tentacruel moveset which consists of Scald | Clear Smog | Rapid Spin | Toxic Spikes, there are quite a few Pokemon who can switch in on you almost for free, and threaten you out, too.

The most prevelant thing is probably the Lati@s, as they are fairly common, and gets a free switch-in, only fearing a potential burn. Thus, Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and physically defensive Clefable make for great teammates. Tentacruel also struggles to take on Mega Sableye, Mega Sceptile, Mega Gallade, and Mega Metagross. In addition to this, strong physical attackers with Ground-type STAB, such as Diggersby, Landorus-T and Excadrill pose a threat to Tentacruel. Unaware Clefable is capable of taking on Mega Sableye, and specially defensive Clefable, and Mega Scizor can take on Mega Sceptile. Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor is great for taking on Mega Metagross, while Mega Sableye counters Mega Gallade. Chesnaught takes on Excadrill, and Diggersby to an extent, and can also pressure opposing teams with Spikes. Lastly, Landorus-T is probably the best overall partner to Tentacruel, alongside Clefable, as it checks a plethora of physical attackers, while being able to set Stealth Rock. n_n
Wait.... Tentacruel gets clear smog? I'm pretty sure Acid Spray is standard. Clear Smog would be awesome, but it doesn't learn it - just checked.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
So just getting into competitive pokemon and was wanting to have a team with chansey considering she is my all time favorite. So as to that I have a few questions.
  • Chansey or go uber with Blissey?
  • Teammates with chansey? *Really like Skarmory in there or is a stealth rock pokemon better?
  • Which mega evolution would provide best synergy?
What do you mean with "go uber with blissey"? Blissey is weaker than chansey, it is UU. Skarm has always been a good partner, other defensive mons that spot a fight resist are fine too, like for example gliscor. If you use chansey you're almost forced to use stall as it is way too passive for any other playstyle, so i'd suggest to try out mega sableye that synergize well and is a good win condition on stall

What do you mean with "go uber with blissey"? Blissey is weaker than chansey, it is UU. Skarm has always been a good partner, other defensive mons that spot a fight resist are fine too, like for example gliscor. If you use chansey you're almost forced to use stall as it is way too passive for any other playstyle, so i'd suggest to try out mega sableye that synergize well and is a good win condition on stall
Looking around I thought she was moved into uber for some reason. Thoughts on mega slowbro cause I like him and he can be a sweeper with good offensive stats

silver97

Looking around I thought she was moved into uber for some reason. Thoughts on mega slowbro cause I like him and he can be a sweeper with good offensive stats
No blissey is just worse than chansey and is not used in OU. Slowbro is fine as well because it does pretty much the same job, i prefer sableye cause it's better vs opposing stall and has wow which is very helpful.

So looking at a team Chansey, Skarmory, Slowbro/Sableye what else would it need in it? Im guessing a physical sweeper and maybe another special sweeper?

I think I can clear this up. By usage, Chansey is OU and Blissey is UU since Chansey is almost always better. However, in Ubers Blissey outclasses Chansey because Blissey can afford to hold Shed Shell which lets Blissey do its job without being Mega Gengar bait, making it far superior to Chansey in Ubers.

So looking at a team Chansey, Skarmory, Slowbro/Sableye what else would it need in it? Im guessing a physical sweeper and maybe another special sweeper?
I think that depends on what kind of team you want to build. Do you want to build a more Stall-oriented team or a more Balance-oriented team?

Actually thanks to shadow tag shenanigans Chansey is next to worthless in Ubers, it even has it's own rank below D-rank xD. Blissey is the mon to go if you want a special wall but even that isn't all that great due to the hyper-offense dominance in the ubers.

I think I can clear this up. By usage, Chansey is OU and Blissey is UU since Chansey is almost always better. However, in Ubers Blissey outclasses Chansey because Blissey can afford to hold Shed Shell which lets Blissey do its job without being Mega Gengar bait, making it far superior to Chansey in Ubers.

I think that depends on what kind of team you want to build. Do you want to build a more Stall-oriented team or a more Balance-oriented team?
I feel i'd much prefer a balance team as opposed to stall tactics. Though like I said I'm rather new to competitive scene so trying to figure out my playstyle I suppose

Actually thanks to shadow tag shenanigans Chansey is next to worthless in Ubers, it even has it's own rank below D-rank xD. Blissey is the mon to go if you want a special wall but even that isn't all that great due to the hyper-offense dominance in the ubers.
Should I make an uber team or stick to ou? What is the more common to play?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I feel i'd much prefer a balance team as opposed to stall tactics. Though like I said I'm rather new to competitive scene so trying to figure out my playstyle I suppose
Hi, this is supposed to be for simple questions and not building an entire teams, so I suggest getting in contact with an OU mentor for more help. I can't link now, but check out the Smogon Starters Hangout subforums for more details.
Edit: in addition, please make not to double post and use the edit function as I am doing now to condense all the information you want to say into one post.

silver97

Actually thanks to shadow tag shenanigans Chansey is next to worthless in Ubers, Blissey is the mon to go if you want a special wall but even that isn't all that great due to the hyper-offense dominance in the ubers.
You misunderstood what i said, i said blissey is weaker than chansey because apparently destiny sonata thought people use chansey over blissey in ou because blissey is too strong and was banned, i wasn't talking about their viability in ubers

Hi, this is supposed to be for simple questions and not building an entire teams, so I suggest getting in contact with an OU mentor for more help. I can't link now, but check out the Smogon Starters Hangout subforums for more details.
Edit: in addition, please make not to double post and use the edit function as I am doing now to condense all the information you want to say into one post.
I just did actually! Thank you everyone!

Should I make an uber team or stick to ou? What is the more common to play?
OU is the most popular tier so it's probably best to start there.

You misunderstood what i said, i said blissey is weaker than chansey because apparently destiny sonata thought people use chansey over blissey in ou because blissey is too strong and was banned, i wasn't talking about their viability in ubers
Yeah, I tend to read comments fast so I often make mistakes like that, sorry about that xD

I have an open Mega Slot on my team, so I'm assuming I might as well run Latiosite on guess who. Are there any important OHKOs/2HKOs that Life Orb achieves that Mega Latios doesn't?

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
I have an open Mega Slot on my team, so I'm assuming I might as well run Latiosite on guess who. Are there any important OHKOs/2HKOs that Life Orb achieves that Mega Latios doesn't?
There are not any specific OHKOs or 2HKOs that it achieves, mega latios is not a good choice because the mega form does basically the same thing as the life orb set and you're better off using any of the other megas.

Is building a team around CharzardY and venusaur in the current meta? Would slowbro be a solid trio for a fwg core?

Tentatively I'm kinda thinking of making my team with this general outline.
Special sweeper- CharY
physical sweeper- Dragonite
Sun team benefitter, mix between o and d- venusaur
Physical wall- slowbro
defog/stealth rocks/will o wisp- mew

Not sure who my last spot would go to, tentatively consisting clefable unless there is a better option or a pokemon I have to try and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)