Applying to college

I feel like in some circumstances, the "underrepresented state" thing works against you unless you're the very top applicant from that area. I'm from Kentucky and I knew a handful of crazy qualified people (including a Native American cancer survivor with lesbian parents, but that's another story) who got into 3+ top 15 schools. But I also knew a group of about 10 people, including myself, all with >4.0,34,2300 stats who all struck out on Ivies/MIT/Stanford etc and the best school any of us got accepted by was Vandy, which recruits pretty heavily from my area. When you think about it, being the 15th most qualified applicant from Kentucky/Wyoming/Mississippi/wherever probably isn't that good when the 14 people ahead of you all applied to the same schools you did.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Sent in Stanford app. Not even a single pun.
You're lying and I won't stand for dat. I would chuck out your application if this were true. They have a tree mascot, a WOODEN MASCOT how dare you.

Also, anyone else applying as a transfer student?

Last edited:

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
good luck to everyone applying! finished midterms a couple of weeks ago and i am LOVING college! hope everyone gets into their first choice :)

*Before collegeconfidential*

I'm applying to these schools because of it's wonderful research opportunites, and this one because its campus is simply beautiful. Now this school is kind of a reach, but it simply the best school for my major, and I think I have a chance of getting in!

*After collegeconfidential*

welders actually make a lot of money

got any ideas for UC essays? My creativity is not making it to the paper. BTW I'll be a freshmen next year and that essay is much easier than the other one.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
got any ideas for UC essays? My creativity is not making it to the paper. BTW I'll be a freshmen next year and that essay is much easier than the other one.
can't give you any other advice other than generic essay-writing advice, the uc prompts are honestly about as broad and vague as you're going to get. If you can't think of anything to write in a prompt that asks for a significant quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution, or experience, i really don't know how to help you on that one. all I can say is that the UC essays should not even be taken as literally (e.g. they're even broader scope possible than they seem) and it's perfectly reasonable to, say, write about the "world of x" or the "world from my perspective" or some other abstract concept for the first essay.

also, completely focus on yourself. I know a lot of people who fall into the trap of writing about some random topic for an essay because it "fits the prompt" and then having one sentence at the end that vaguely ties it in with your own point of view. They don't want to hear a summary of the gulf war, and then a two-sentence synopsis on why it's a great metaphor for your life, or whatever - they want your thesis to be about you and to use your experiences and thoughts as supports.

can't give you any other advice other than generic essay-writing advice, the uc prompts are honestly about as broad and vague as you're going to get. If you can't think of anything to write in a prompt that asks for a significant quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution, or experience, i really don't know how to help you on that one. all I can say is that the UC essays should not even be taken as literally (e.g. they're even broader scope possible than they seem) and it's perfectly reasonable to, say, write about the "world of x" or the "world from my perspective" or some other abstract concept for the first essay.

also, completely focus on yourself. I know a lot of people who fall into the trap of writing about some random topic for an essay because it "fits the prompt" and then having one sentence at the end that vaguely ties it in with your own point of view. They don't want to hear a summary of the gulf war, and then a two-sentence synopsis on why it's a great metaphor for your life, or whatever - they want your thesis to be about you and to use your experiences and thoughts as supports.
Alright thanks for the help, so just talk about anything about me pretty much?

I'm a hs junior, but I'm already starting the process. Been to see some schools. This is what I have so far:
  • 33 ACT (I got a 28 on science though so I need to fix this up, I plan on studying something in the math/engineering/cs hemisphere, so that is not good, but I did get a 35 on math)
  • 3.64 GPA - not going to lie, but I go to a really competitive high school. Some recent study ranked it in top 10 high schools in US. I don't want to brag, but I think that this is somewhat mitigated by a high school recognizable by name. If not, it's not awful even if not amazing. Also, my GPA has gone upward- so far this year, it's a 3.84. (I had some issues freshmen year, not that important)
  • Varsity XC, 12 season track athlete - I do track a lot, plan to do it through hs. Varsity XC.
  • Volunteer Work: I volunteer 2x a month at H4H, for about 4 hours each time. Also, I do AFYA (packing medical supplies) with my schools club about once every 2 months.
  • I play an instrument at the all county level, but I'm not going to make all state (NY is really competitive, and I'm not that good, but I'm somewhat good)
  • Taking BC Calc next year. Taking AP Physics next year. Taking AP Stat next year. Taking AP Econ next year. Taking AP Computer Science (Java.) I am not in top level Spanish or English, but I am one level down. I am going to drop Spanish after this year (because BC Calc is 6 periods, and I literally can't take this due to scheduling), which makes my foreign language education 4 years long.
  • White Male (for those of you unaware, this basically hurts my chances of getting into top schools, especially for my topics of interest.)
  • Plan on taking Math II and Physics SAT II in the spring. Expecting 750+ on Math and 720+ on Physics.
So, that's my app essentially. Some questions:
  • How important is the ACT writing part? Most schools seems to want it, but mine hurt my score (I got 8/12 lol) bringing my english from 34 to 31. If I get science up (which is really reading comp + graphs tbh) to a 32 or so, my score could be pretty good, with a 34,35,36,32 spread.
  • Where should I apply? Right now my top school is JHU, but I also want to look at stuff like Cornell, Bucknell, and Michigan. Might also throw in Georgia Tech, Rochester, etc. Right now my safety schools are pretty much Maryland (College Park) and Binghamton.
Thanks for help :D

Asterat, what I was always told was the writing part was required because most schools like to see how you write before they accept you or anything. I was able to do pretty well with it, a 31 overall, (a 30 on the English part i think, its been a couple years) but I don't know if it actually matters or not, I just took it with writing as a precaution.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm a hs junior, but I'm already starting the process. Been to see some schools. This is what I have so far:
  • 33 ACT (I got a 28 on science though so I need to fix this up, I plan on studying something in the math/engineering/cs hemisphere, so that is not good, but I did get a 35 on math)
  • 3.64 GPA - not going to lie, but I go to a really competitive high school. Some recent study ranked it in top 10 high schools in US. I don't want to brag, but I think that this is somewhat mitigated by a high school recognizable by name. If not, it's not awful even if not amazing. Also, my GPA has gone upward- so far this year, it's a 3.84. (I had some issues freshmen year, not that important)
  • Varsity XC, 12 season track athlete - I do track a lot, plan to do it through hs. Varsity XC.
  • Volunteer Work: I volunteer 2x a month at H4H, for about 4 hours each time. Also, I do AFYA (packing medical supplies) with my schools club about once every 2 months.
  • I play an instrument at the all county level, but I'm not going to make all state (NY is really competitive, and I'm not that good, but I'm somewhat good)
  • Taking BC Calc next year. Taking AP Physics next year. Taking AP Stat next year. Taking AP Econ next year. Taking AP Computer Science (Java.) I am not in top level Spanish or English, but I am one level down. I am going to drop Spanish after this year (because BC Calc is 6 periods, and I literally can't take this due to scheduling), which makes my foreign language education 4 years long.
  • White Male (for those of you unaware, this basically hurts my chances of getting into top schools, especially for my topics of interest.)
  • Plan on taking Math II and Physics SAT II in the spring. Expecting 750+ on Math and 720+ on Physics.
So, that's my app essentially. Some questions:
  • How important is the ACT writing part? Most schools seems to want it, but mine hurt my score (I got 8/12 lol) bringing my english from 34 to 31. If I get science up (which is really reading comp + graphs tbh) to a 32 or so, my score could be pretty good, with a 34,35,36,32 spread.
  • Where should I apply? Right now my top school is JHU, but I also want to look at stuff like Cornell, Bucknell, and Michigan. Might also throw in Georgia Tech, Rochester, etc. Right now my safety schools are pretty much Maryland (College Park) and Binghamton.
Thanks for help :D
Looks good so far. Don't worry about what you can't control as worrying isn't going to fix it (i.e. white male, freshman year, HS / state competition). Even things like ACT, scheduling don't sound like huge blemishes. I would focus more on relaxing and enjoying school a little since from this post you seem really really tense. There's no need to be, IMO. Other schools to look at: Carnegie Mellon, Wisconsin, Purdue, Pittsburgh, Tulane, Texas.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I'm in the process of applying for schools atm and I've come across something that has confused me. I'm applying for law and criminology courses at Carleton U and Ottawa U but they are both only offered as honors degrees, as far as I can tell the only difference between the general and honors courses is an extra year of study as both websites list no extra pre-requisites between honors or general courses in those fields (arts for Carleton and Social Sciences for Ottawa) can someone let me know if I'm missing something before I submit my applications?

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
You look to be an above average candidate for most schools, so I don't think you have much to worry about (I would focus a lot on improving the science ACT if that's actually what you're interested in, though, top-level colleges want near perfect scores on relevant tests seeing how competitive engineering / cs is).

The reason I'm focusing on this particular quote is because I think you're looking at it from slightly the wrong point of view. The concept that being a white male "hurts" your chances of getting into top schools implies that were you not a white male your scores, tests, and accomplishments would be identical. This is, in fact, a faulty concept, and it is for this reason that programs like affirmative action exist; people who are discriminated against in certain fields or have been historically discriminated against have to climb over more obstacles to achieve the same things as a "privileged" candidate.

I don't want to derail this thread into a flame war about affirmative action as that's a slight deviance from its intended purpose, but I just wanted to clear up this misconception, as it is a common one.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm in the process of applying for schools atm and I've come across something that has confused me. I'm applying for law and criminology courses at Carleton U and Ottawa U but they are both only offered as honors degrees, as far as I can tell the only difference between the general and honors courses is an extra year of study as both websites list no extra pre-requisites between honors or general courses in those fields (arts for Carleton and Social Sciences for Ottawa) can someone let me know if I'm missing something before I submit my applications?
I can help you out with this one, the difference between honours and general programs is that honours is 20 credits / 4 year graduation, general is 15 credits / 3 years. At least, that's what it was when I applied but that was only like 4 years ago, so I doubt that it changed. Also, the honours program should give you preferable consideration when applying for grad school, but that's only relevant if you plan on pursuing a masters degree. Good luck dude.

Edit: Also yeah, the application shouldn't be any different.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
I can help you out with this one, the difference between honours and general programs is that honours is 20 credits / 4 year graduation, general is 15 credits / 3 years. At least, that's what it was when I applied but that was only like 4 years ago, so I doubt that it changed. Also, the honours program should give you preferable consideration when applying for grad school, but that's only relevant if you plan on pursuing a masters degree. Good luck dude.

Edit: Also yeah, the application shouldn't be any different.
That actually helps a ton, thanks.

I ended up applying to UC Irvive, UC Merced, UC Davis, cal poly pomona, cal poly san louis obisbo, chico state, and san diego state. Might apply to other private schools but I'll know if I get into cal poly slo in a week or two cause early admission.

My UC essay topics were:
prompt 1: moderating a minecraft server
prompt 2: talking about my parents' and city's financial situations and jobs and how I will use their experiences to avoid their issues

Man, what is up with all the 2300+ SAT people voicing their worries. Ironic that all the ones below that score aren't.

Anyway, here's a question that I've been quite concerned with. US uni applicant coming from Singapore, by the way (mainly eyeing the UCs).
Is it advisable to have extracurriculars related to your major?
The usual answer is no, but to put it into perspective, I'm aiming to get into a CS program with zero programming experience so far (no school courses, not self-taught, etc.), is that a really bad idea?
I've went through a really short C++ game programming course at Digipen, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count for nuts.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ice-cold Claws :
UCs definitely want to see major-related extracurriculars when it comes to engineering majors like CS. If you can mention anything related--even a personal project like a website, a game, a program you made for a friend--it will help, although obviously substantial CS activities (internships, science fair/research papers, etc) will count for more. Same goes for your personal statement.
In the end, the best potential boost to your application is being able to pay the 60k+ cost of attendance :P

Ice-cold Claws :
UCs definitely want to see major-related extracurriculars when it comes to engineering majors like CS. If you can mention anything related--even a personal project like a website, a game, a program you made for a friend--it will help, although obviously substantial CS activities (internships, science fair/research papers, etc) will count for more. Same goes for your personal statement.
In the end, the best potential boost to your application is being able to pay the 60k+ cost of attendance :P
Oh well, crap. Guess I'm screwed over.
I've been into gamedev for about 3 years now, the thing is I did it all using no-programming-required software, so....nuts.
I could take up a course or two since I've only just finished my Junior year, but then I don't like the idea of it. :(
Also that cost :<

Oh and what are some good safeties for international students? Since I'm into computer graphics, I figured U of Utah would be an excellent safety, but then I suspect being a non-Utahn - or basically an international Asian - will hurt my chances pretty badly.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lots of international students end up at San Jose State University due to its proximity to Silicon Valley, and SJSU is bound to be less selective than most or all of the UCs.

You can still mention the game development you have done, as it at least shows a similar thinking process if not proficiency with programming languages. If you've just finished your junior year then you still have time to try an individual project with actual code.

Lots of international students end up at San Jose State University due to its proximity to Silicon Valley, and SJSU is bound to be less selective than most or all of the UCs.

You can still mention the game development you have done, as it at least shows a similar thinking process if not proficiency with programming languages. If you've just finished your junior year then you still have time to try an individual project with actual code.
Alright - I haven't really looked into SJSU before, but now that you mention it, it seems like a decent option.

Yeah, I think I'll hop onto an actual project. I'm currently in IBDP though, so...haha I might have some trouble there.

Thanks man!

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Applied to UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCD, UCSD, and UCSB for transfer from a community college in California. I submitted the application in full like 4 minutes before the deadline, finishing the essays like 10 minutes before deadline because I'm irresponsible, oof :P ... ;O;.

They didn't turn out as good as I would have wanted and didn't get to get them proofread that much and didn't get to or forgot to write down some tidbits about situations affecting my school performance in additional comments essay section, but it should turn out okay hopefully since I don't really think the improved essays/additional comments would have really changed a decision of getting into the school or not, although I'll never know ;O;.

I got TAG for UCSB for Physics with IGETC completed, so we'll see how it goes. Apparently UCSB is better for Physics than all the other UC's except Berkeley, for the graduate program though obviously, but I figure it carries over SOMEWHAT to undergrad program (I could maybe take some grad courses during undergrad) and UCSB has a higher undergrad-grad student ratio than other UC's (which may be a good and/or bad thing). That said, I'd probably still rank my choices as:

UC Berkeley
UCLA
UCSB / UCD
UCSD

I'm majoring in Physics, but I'm also premed, fulfilling all the requirements except Org Chem and other smaller (elementary statistics) or upper division classes depending on the medical school and I might want to double major or take extra classes in biology. That's mostly why UCLA is above UCSB, despite UCSB being "better for Physics" than UCLA (from many rankings, but yeah I know rankings are mularchy or whatever).

I might apply to more schools like NYU, but I don't particularly think my chances are good or would choose NYU over UCSB :(. Sorry Plus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)