Star Wars: The Force Awakens (SPOILERS)

Do you approve of J.J Abrams directing the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Episode I has quite a number of character introductions, if you skip it on the first viewing you might be confused later on (yea it does only have 1 plot related event but still). I'm personally against skipping PM, even though I haven't tried these viewing orders yet.
Darth Maul => Dies
Quagon Jinn => Dies
Jargon Binks => Almost totally irrelevant in all other movies...
Trade federation guys => Almost irrelevant in all other movies...
Anakin => Totally different character in II/III...
Palpatine => Re-Introduced as a character in II
Amidala => Re-Introduced as a character in II
etc.

Every character is either re-introduced in 2/3, known from IV/V, or is so irrelevant to the rest of the story it doesn't matter.

Best of all, almost no Jargon Binks...

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Darth Maul => Dies
Quagon Jinn => Dies
etc.

Every character is either re-introduced in 2/3, known from IV/V, or is so irrelevant to the rest of the story it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry what? How can you say Jar Jar Binks is almost irrelevant? He's the most important character in Galactic history... He is the reason the emperor comes to power... It's HIS fault.

Darth Maul => Dies
Quagon Jinn => Dies
etc.

True. But in all honesty PM wasn't THAT bad. Yes it was the 2nd worst one but it's still worth watching(God I wish II was irrelevant because that one SUCKS)

Phantom Menace is actually pretty good if you utterly ignore Jar Jar, I recommend looking up one of the edited vids that cut him out. Shame they didn't keep his death scene early in the movie.

To me, Attack of the Clones was the worst one. Mostly because I thought they casted Anakin horribly. The story was also generally dull without as much background on the clone troopers as there should be (oh hey some ancient Jedi master started this program, we have an army yay over the actual reasons) and to me the only good part was the final battles on Geonosis.

Attack of the Clones was the worst because the clone wars was utterly boring and the romance was just god awful. On top of the bad casting of Anakin. Mace Windu was badass though

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Phantom Menace is actually pretty good if you utterly ignore Jar Jar, I recommend looking up one of the edited vids that cut him out. Shame they didn't keep his death scene early in the movie.
Yeah, save for the fact that there's no character we can relate with and actually care about. I mean, Anakin is a slave in a junkyard whose mom is also enslaved, but he looks at acts like any spoiled pampered American brat and there's no attempt at making him actually act-- besides, we meet him halfway through the movie, and everything in the movie is beyond his understanding and with no consequence.

Obi-wan's does nothing but sit and bitch through the whole movie (save the one scene at the end where he gets fuckin' pissed), and Quagon-jin is... well, just another weird, bland, monk who's also utterly inept. Besides all the problems in the actual story line, there's no one in the movie to actually give fucks about.

Then again, this problem is not really fixed in the later movies... But I guess later you've spent so much time with Anakin and Obi, you kind of have to give a little fucks about them... sorta.

To me, Attack of the Clones was the worst one. Mostly because I thought they casted Anakin horribly. The story was also generally dull without as much background on the clone troopers as there should be (oh hey some ancient Jedi master started this program, we have an army yay over the actual reasons) and to me the only good part was the final battles on Geonosis.
I'd agree, but I'd say Anakin was written horribly, as opposed to caste horribly. I mean... where the fuck did--

"Vader, was seduced by the dark side of the force."
"...and he was a good friend." (Obi-wan, A New Hope)

come from considering Anakin's a major prick from the start, and becomes a violent murderer within the same movie... The script is so terrible, I don't think any actor could have fixed it-- especially since Lucas controlled literally everything about the fil

The prequels aren't THAT bad. Yes they are bad but there are a few good things. For one, they showed Yoda be badass. In Episode V, he was little more than a retired old hermit. He trained Obi Wan(another continuity error in the prequels) but he was nothing really special. In the prequels he was a badass warrior that kicked ass. And Mace Windu was awesome.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
The prequels aren't THAT bad. Yes they are bad but there are a few good things. For one, they showed Yoda be badass. In Episode V, he was little more than a retired old hermit. He trained Obi Wan(another continuity error in the prequels) but he was nothing really special. In the prequels he was a badass warrior that kicked ass. And Mace Windu was awesome.
Yeah... we got to see all those advanced Jedi powers... like how to throw rocks at the enemy.

Yoda's character should have been beyond the most basic and base Jedi powers. When yoda trains Luke in episode 5, Yoda taught us about the depth and power of the force. When he lifted the x-wing out of the swamp, we were taught about that which goes beyond the physical, beyond the mere limitations of the body.

That gets totally ruined when we see Yoda have to pull out a light saber.

In episode 5, Yoda broke our expectations because we didn't think this little guy could be a great warrior. Yoda's small stature invoked an understanding that size and strength are limitations to which Jedi are not bound to. In the prequels, seeing Yoda forced to bounce all over the place to compensate for his small size (yes COMPENSATE, because even with all that "speed" Yoda still fails to beat either Duku or the Emperor who both brush off that speed effortlessly because-- guess what, SIZE matters). Yoda's character should have been beyond that.

If they really had to show Yoda fight, they should have shown him taken to the next level-- for example, why not have Yoda throw 5 or 6 light sabers in the air, and have him rapidly manipulate and attack with them, completely controlling them with the force. I mean, if the guy can lift a fucking x-wing out of a swamp with ease, he should have no problem manipulating 5 or 6 levitating light sabers and have them all attack randomly.

Yeah... we got to see all those advanced Jedi powers... like how to throw rocks at the enemy.

Yoda's character should have been beyond the most basic and base Jedi powers. When yoda trains Luke in episode 5, Yoda taught us about the depth and power of the force. When he lifted the x-wing out of the swamp, we were taught about that which goes beyond the physical, beyond the mere limitations of the body.

That gets totally ruined when we see Yoda have to pull out a light saber.

In episode 5, Yoda broke our expectations because we didn't think this little guy could be a great warrior. Yoda's small stature invoked an understanding that size and strength are limitations to which Jedi are not bound to. In the prequels, seeing Yoda forced to bounce all over the place to compensate for his small size (yes COMPENSATE, because even with all that "speed" Yoda still fails to beat either Duku or the Emperor who both brush off that speed effortlessly because-- guess what, SIZE matters). Yoda's character should have been beyond that.

If they really had to show Yoda fight, they should have shown him taken to the next level-- for example, why not have Yoda throw 5 or 6 light sabers in the air, and have him rapidly manipulate and attack with them, completely controlling them with the force. I mean, if the guy can lift a fucking x-wing out of a swamp with ease, he should have no problem manipulating 5 or 6 levitating light sabers and have them all attack randomly.
That is true. I haven't seen Episode II in a long time(probably because it sucked) so I may be a little rusty. Extraordinary or just like other Jedi, he was still a badass warrior. One of the few good things about the prequels was the CGI. The lightsaber battles were really entertaining(well compared to the rest of the movies.) I need to rewatch the prequels because I'm rusty as hell.

Bumping this thread because a new trailer was dropped last night giving us more nuggets of visuals while dropping minor plot hints. I'm really looking forward to John Boyega's character. He looks like a stormtrooper that joins the good side which ,in my opinion, is a cool perspective. Also, I seriously wanna know who that chick is. Is she Han and Leia's daughter? Is she a completely new character? Either way, she looks interesting. Also, WE SEE MORE OF THE SITH LORD. YES MORE COOL LIGHTSABER SHOTS! I'm hype as fuck right now

The redesign I'm liking is the Rebel pilot's helmet. It just looks cooler now. But I agree on the Vader helmet. It looks a bit decayed which makes sense since this movie takes place 30 years after RotJ.

Well Luke did burn Vader's armor on Endor, somewhere I remember it was Lucas' intent that Vader's body disappeared as he became "one with the force" so all he had left to burn was the armor, so its appearance is to be expected right? Though that being said, who would go to Endor to dig it up?

I also missed that it was a new desert planet they were showing those scenes on with the crashed Star Destroyer, I just assumed it was Tattooine.

Somehow, there's been no posts here since April so bumping again because the movie just came out.
DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING FOR ANYBODY PLEASE AND THANK YOU.
Seriously, I've been looking forward to this since I was 12 when it was announced(with a bit of skepticism in between but regardless, I was excited)
If anybody has seen it, can they inform me of whether or not it lives up to the hype or it's Prequels 2.0?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
It lives up to its hype. My only gripe is a character drops the word hell in an exchange, and we all know hell doesn't exist in Star Wars.

The movie was good. However I had a few issues with it.
-Story parallels a new hope to a ridiculous degree, to the point of overwriting it.
-The characters were brought together poorly
-Most of the positive aspects of the prequels were completely removed.

It was pretty disappointing in my opinion. Definitly worse than the prequels. I mean it had some enjoyable moments (especially hearing the old music again), but overall there was so much potential wasted considering that they could have spent all the money/time they needed to. I would go in depth about what they did wrong imo but i dont want to spoil.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
It was pretty disappointing in my opinion. Definitly worse than the prequels. I mean it had some enjoyable moments (especially hearing the old music again), but overall there was so much potential wasted considering that they could have spent all the money/time they needed to. I would go in depth about what they did wrong imo but i dont want to spoil.
I wouldn't really say this about anything. I mean come on, you remember this scene, right?:

I mean, sure, it wasn't as good as the original trilogy, but calling it worse than the prequels is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. I personally went into it expecting it to be better than the prequels (even then Episode III was watchable in my opinion) but not as good as the originals (but still prepared for a letdown a la Phantom Menace) and I was not disappointed. I only really have two complaints:

They killed Han Solo, and Luke Skywalker has no speaking lines. That's it. Even then, the scene where Han Solo is killed is still some powerful father-son stuff, with Han trying to bring Kylo Ren back from the dark side. I can't honestly say this movie had any parts that made me want to fall asleep, compare to the buttloads of sitting-and-talking scenes from the prequels.

The flim's plot did seem to parallel A New Hope a lot, but it does add an additional nostalgia factor to the movie beyond simply having the original cast in the movie so I'm not sure if I can call it a bad thing.

Also I think this might be the first Star Wars film in which no limbs are severed

also, to people asking who's directing Episode VIII: Rian Johnson (director of Looper)

Last edited:
Well, i guess you are kind of right.i wrote this post right after i came home from cinema. Being disappointed probably lead to exaggerating. Especially I and II were pretty bad too. But still, i somehow prefered the atmosphere of I and the final Battle of II to the Force awakens. I actually really liked the beginning of the Force awakens but it kind of lost me at the end/middle. In my opinion it couldnt really create suspense (especially in comparison to a new Hope with a very similiar Story line).

I can't take this post seriously

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd say that it was about what I expected - not as good as the originals, better than the prequels, and incredibly, incredibly safe.
There were a few reasons why I felt it was not nearly as good as a lot of people are saying, and certainly not as good as Return of the Jedi much less the two masterpieces of the franchise, Star Wars and Empire.

The first is quite simple: the setup made no sense, and was ripped straight from the original. Why and how did the First Order arise after the events of Jedi? Why did the Republic allow it to happen mere years after the collapse of the Empire? Who are the Resistance and why would they have to be separated from the Republic? Why weren't they just the Republic's main army/fleet? If they were, why did they allow the creation of a planet which literally sucks in stars for energy and can destroy planets? On the part of the First Order, did no one give a thought to the fact that unlike a space station, a planet has no control system nor ambient heating for it's outer shell, and therefore A. the weapon could not move effectively, B. the exterior of the planet would be near zero degrees, and C. the planet could only reliably charge once before exhausting it's supply of local stars? Outside of the First Order, why would Luke leave a convoluted map to where he was planning on going? If he didn't want to be found why tell anyone, and if he only wanted those closest to him to know where he is, then why not just tell them? Where was Supreme Leader Snoke during the times of the Empire?

None of these relatively fundamental questions about the basic premise of the movie are ever answered.

The second reason I felt it was not as good as any of the originals was that the story was completely re-hashed from both the original and Jedi. Big weapon of the enemy, blow it up by any means necessary before it wipes out everything we hold dear. Only unlike in Star Wars or Jedi, the assault on the weapon felt way easier than it should've been, and far less interesting. As much as I hate the Ewoks at least the Empire had an entire legion of 'it's finest troops' defending it's shield generator in Jedi, not to mention an armada of warships to defend it from space attacks. The First Order had nothing. They let three inexperienced/old Resistance fighters plus a wookie into their primary stabilization center without any attempt at a fight (I think they shot like one stormtrooper on guard duty) and I don't think I ever again saw as many troops as I did when they raided some no-name village in the very first scene, even in the life-or-death defense of their greatest installation. In other words, everything about the final sequence felt like a cheap version of what we've already seen.

The third and probably most important reason is simply that the main characters' growth had no substance to it. Throughout the original trilogy, we see Luke cope with tragedy (the loss of his family), failure (his first stint of training with Yoda on Dagobah), and defeat (at the hands of Darth Vader in Cloud City). Through his experiences he grows and becomes a more complete warrior and character simultaneously. Rey just assumed her powers without any training whatsoever, and it didn't strike me as at all consistent with what we had previously been shown of the force. Now I'm sure that they will explain she is somehow like the next coming of Anakin Skywalker in terms of being incredibly powerful, but I feel like she should've had it at least as hard as Luke; no one would've believed if Luke had managed to trick the stormtroopers with a jedi mind trick when they escaped the death star late in the original movie, because his character arc hadn't gotten to that point yet. He still had much to learn and grow towards. I can't see how Rey has anywhere left to go that we should care about. Finn has similar problems, though at least his arc starts off with real growth and we see his struggle throughout the film with coming to terms with his past identity - and yet there's never a doubt that he has entirely abandoned his old ways. There's no real tension, just the threat that someone might be an asshole and hold his past against him, which of course no one does. And therefore all the tension in his identity vanishes as quickly as it was manufactured, and so in reality all he really did was get his ass kicked for two hours. I honestly felt really badly for him because he seems like the most relatable character in the entire movie, and yet he wasn't allowed any opportunity to grow as a warrior because he spent all his time getting saved by Poe, Rey, Han, Chewbacca, etc. I'm not sure how Finn is any different now from how he was five minutes into the movie, and I think that's an awful shame. Poe obviously doesn't undergo any sort of growth, and there's not any other new characters whose names I can even remember (outside of General Hux the caricature of evil and the old Empire, seriously I wouldn't be surprised if he's the son of one of the actors who played the exact same role in the original trilogy, except at least those characters had to cope with fear of Darth Vader and (in the deleted scenes of Jedi) actual moral dilemma with whether to blow up Endor in pure spite or not). The only character who grows is, well, Kylo Ren, who I will get to later on in this post once I start talking about the positives of this movie.

Luke had no speaking lines, Princess Leia was at best a spot character for nostalgia purposes only. R2D2 and C3PO were there for obligatory reference only.

In all, I guess that all of these complaints can be summed up as what I said earlier: the whole movie felt safe. They threw a lot of action in, constantly referred back to/plagiarized the original trilogy, and generally tried to deliver a movie that was as fun and thoughtless as possible.

All of that grousing aside, however, there were a few bright spots, reasons for hope, and, well, reasons why this was in fact a better movie than the prequels and a pretty fun and entertaining movie overall.

The biggest bright spots of this movie were clearly Han Solo, Kylo Ren, and their interaction/dynamic. I wish there had been more Kylo Ren in this movie; in particular, I'd have liked a series of flashbacks detailing his relationship with Luke, the rise and fall of the foundling Jedi order Luke was trying to create, and his fall to the Dark Side/manipulation by Snoke. I found his weakness particularly believable: for the first time, we see how a powerful warrior with a weak personality could be turned to serve the every whim of a Sith Lord. I always felt that it must've been something particularly traumatic to turn a character as strong as Darth Vader into a Sith, and obviously the prequels didn't deliver on that (yes he was weak-willed, but there is little to no relation between the Anakin Skywalker of the prequels and Darth Vader of the original trilogy). Kylo Ren, however, is completely believable as a Sith apprentice: he has no control of his emotions (particularly anger), struggles with his conscious at times, and feels he must prove himself as being a true Sith. He's a child with seemingly boundless potential power, and strangely enough he undergoes more character development and growth than all the good characters put together. He felt like a different character by the end of the movie. Meanwhile Harrison Ford put forth what I think is his strongest performance as Han Solo to date, and his character's death provided basically the only real emotional meat of the entire film.

Outside of that, the visuals were great, as I'd expect. The action was engaging, and there were few if any groan-worthy lines of dialogue; Lawrence Kasden's impact could really be felt throughout this film, as the script was simply in a higher class than any of the prequels'. Most importantly perhaps, scene-to-scene the movie felt fun, despite it's flaws. It felt like it didn't take itself too seriously, and the sets looked infinitely better than the CGI monstrosities of the prequel trilogy. They looked like real places where real people struggled to get by, and the consequent vast improvement in acting quality, I suspect, derives from this fact. Finally, it does feel like the story has room to expand and develop; the characters of Luke and Snoke are both still largely unexplored, and Rey clearly has a lot more going on in terms of family history than meets the eye. I just hope that they figure out something more to do with her, because as we saw with Neo in the Matrix trilogy, stories get less interesting when the protagonist has already hit a plateau in terms of development by the time the first movie ends.

Finally, the music was fantastic. I feel like this is almost assumed at this point for a Star Wars movie, but it's worth mentioning in any case.

Overall I guess I'd say that it felt like a classic Star Wars movie, even if it was lacking in a few areas. It was fast-paced and fun, but it's not one I'm anxious to watch again nor one that I feel will have much staying power in years to come; again, it's a far cry from Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back. I suspect those two movies will be watched long after The Force Awakens vanishes from the public eye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)