Role Playing Philosophers' Stone War IV - Postgame

Please read these two excellent PSW posts by Raikage. I don't enforce RP as strictly as PSWIII did but talking IC as much as possible and doing consistent RP is required!

Roleplaying

Now that we are not too far away from completing the characters in terms of mechanics, I'd now like to talk about roleplaying. Roleplaying is supposed to be a big part of the Philosopher's Stone War, although it was somewhat neglected in PSW II.

Firstly, I need each Master and Champion's personality, history and appearance. This should detail how your Master learned magic as well as his motivation for taking part in the War. Notice that I ask you for your characters' alignments. Your personality should match your alignment, and this actually does have an effect. If you're supposed to be a Lawful Good guy, I won't let you go around rampaging and killing civilians. It just plain doesn't make sense. Similarly, if your history involves you being a psychotic killer with no self-restraint, I won't allow you to interact too calmly with civilians, so keep that in mind. I know some players might be tempted to choose their personality for maximum benefits, but I urge these players not to do so. Roleplaying is half the fun of the game!

Aside from motivations, you should also consider how and in what circumstances your Master summoned your Champion. Perhaps your Master retrieved a suitable relic and used it to summon the Champion he was looking for. Perhaps your Master was in grave danger, and inadvertently summoned the Champion to save himself. Try to be creative.

Something to consider is also your Master and Champion's interactions. Your characters are a duo and they will interact with each other more often than any other characters. Your Master and Champion do not necessarily have to have similar alignments. It's possible to have a good Master control an evil Champion, bending the champion to his will. Of course, the Champion is unlikely to be happy with this! Instead of viewing this as a drawback, look upon it as an opportunity. This is a great way to introduce some character development.

I noticed that many players like to do other things when it's not their turn in an encounter, be it talking to other people, reading manga, or other distractions. I understand if a player has restrictions (like doing homework or staying up till 5 AM in the morning to get an encounter done). If that is not the case, however, I urge players to use the time when it's not their turn as well. Thinking about your next move at the very least speeds up the process.

What I really want to bring up, however, is that roleplaying should be a concern as well when you're in such situations. Speak in character when you can, and develop relationships with other characters. For example, it is much more fun and believable if two Masters constantly target each other due to conflicting beliefs, rather than 'I need to attack the other guy cause I can't win the game otherwise'. Perhaps one Master is a young idealist, whereas the other is a jaded old man. Maybe one Master is just an outright villain, and the other believes strongly in justice. Such interactions are possible with Champions, too. A Christian-hating Champion would have a field day in a battle with a Catholic Saint, for example. Even if you don't encounter a perfect fit, it's possible to develop rivalries or respect for each other.
PSW Metagame

Over the course of 2.5 Wars, a metagame has been built up and I think it's only fair to warn new players about it!

Protect your master!

Your master may have a lot of HP (even more than Champions at times!), but s/he also has the armour and saves of wet tissue. A full attack or high level spell from a Champion can very easily devastate your Master, so always be wary of this danger.

Teleport/Dimension Door VS Dimensional Anchor/Teleport Tactician/Rider's Chase

This is a very common feature of the PSW metagame. People will usually attempt to run away from a fight when they're losing via teleport or DD. Standard countermeasures have developed, usually involving Dimensional Anchor since any Master can cast it. Some champs may take Teleport Tactician to make it harder. And of course, Rider can chase across teleports.

Alliances

Alliances have grown to be a common feature in PSW. I can't exactly outright ban alliances with more than two people but I very heavily encourage players not to do so. On the flip side, those who do not plan to ally with someone should probably come up with countermeasures for situations where they are outnumbered.

Spell selection

There's a very wide variety of spells available to Masters. Some spells that don't seem that useful can prove their worth against certain opponents or to counter certain other spells, so keep an open mind. Also, I would advise players against over-relying on one spell.
The metagame has changed in this game due to the Master-->Summoner change but these points still are very valid.

Last day to get character info in. Alignments, Summoner name and ethnicity, feats, ability scores, skills and languages are needed. I'll send character sheets and post the D1 starting post tomorrow at an undetermined time (whenever I have a consecutive ~1h time window online). Those who don't have the infos in by when I start sending sheets will be godkilled at start, so you should send all info in today to ensure participation!

GAME START!

”Nicholas Flamel” said:
You hear a mighty voice boom over the city: “One of you couldn’t contain the power. Shaka Zulu just exploded. Carry on."
RODAN has been defeated!

Day 1 begins now, you have 72 hours to get your day 1 plans in. Write the plans down in the conversation where you received your character sheet.

Last edited:
Clarifying on fountains: They can be an area that is Medium at minimum in size or any permanent, static object. Ergo, you pick a place or object in the world and make it your fountain. A given object/area may be multiple fountains at once. The more fountains on a given spot, the easier they are to spot. Also, only the Summoner can create founts.

Clarifying on starting locations: Only Monster has one. Others do not have a home in Atlantis.

Btw a google docs document is a good way to do day plans since editing smogon conversations is down atm for an undetermined time.

Last edited:
Day 1 encounters have started. If you haven't sent in day plans yet you are in danger. Day phases take time to complete due to having to arrange schedules of all players present for every encounter.

Clarifying on RP: Flamel's bestowing of the order spells and summoner abilities on you included the Common language, and because your summoners are from different cultures and eras you're assumed to speak Common with other players unless otherwise noted.

Also: You are not allowed to paste logs with hosts to another players. Also: We cannot confirm nor deny anything in regards to what we have clarified to another player in private. Everything may be forged.

Last edited:
Ministry of Information Pamphlet said:
"The goverment is aware of the terrorist attacks that took place in Royal Keep and the eastern sections of the city. The Police have the situation firmly under control, no need to panic.
Market Gossip said:
"I saw it with mine own two eyes! A weird shrine appearing overnight, two men lay on the sad there, other dead without no reason whatsoever and the other, larger man, having been cut, pierced and bruised beyond comprehension. It was awful! The dictionary salesman said that his garb had writing in ...Japanese? claiming him to be someone called Akashi Shiganosuke.
Drunkensniper has been defeated!

The day is going to be both beautiful and peaceful...

Day 2 begins now, you have 72 hours to get your day plans in.

Last edited:
Day Two, 2 PM.

Everyone in the city can see a yellow flash ascend from near the Royal Keep, upwards and upwards.

*CRASH*

The yellow flash breaks a hole into the Permanent Impervious Force Sphere that has protected Atlantis for aeons of time. The city centre is flooded in seconds, and it seems Atlantis is doomed. However! It seems that after half a minute, the Sphere starts to repair itself. Soon, the hole is only a small one, producing a steady but relatively small current of salty water onto the streets. Atlantis survives - but flooded with 8ft depth of water in every district. Surely the city will react to this, after recovering from the initial shock and panic.

But the question remains: What caused this event and did everyone participating in the War survive it...?

(If you want to alter your afternoon/evening plans according to this event, you have 24-48h to do so before the game starts progressing again.)

Last edited:
MAGICAL BOOMING ANNOUNCEMENT VOICE said:
...THE CITY IS UNDER CURFEW. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. REPEATING. THE CITY IS UNDER CURFEW. ALL CITIZENS ARE TO STAY HOME DURING ALL HOURS. THE SITUATION IS UNDER CONTROL. THE LEAK HAS BEEN FIXED AND THE WATER LEVELS WILL RETURN TO NORMAL BY TOMORROW. THE CULPRIT HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED AND WILL BE NEUTRALIZED. ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL ARE TO REPORT TO THE HQ BY 9:30 AM. OFFICERS WHO WITNESSED THE TERRORIST ATTACK YESTERDAY ARE TO CARRY ON THE DUTIES ACCORDING TO CODE 7.

...THE CITY IS UNDER CURFEW. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. REPEATING...
Nicholas Flamel via telepathy said:
Three deaths already, good! Good! The death of Samson Ben-Manoah was a particularly hairy mess, I daresay. And if you knew how close call last evening was, then.... Heh. I am annoyed, however, at the conflict occurring around my tower. Today, if you want to continue to participate in the war for the Stone, you must fight in the Police District and away from my research base in the city. I have enough of my research wet already...
UllarWarlord has been eliminated!

The hole isn't fully patched but is but a trickle anymore. Water level is now 2ft. Difficult terrain, but walkable.

Day 3 begins now. Event processing will start in 70h. Send your plans in.

Extending deadline for Day 3 plans into Sunday evening, since I'll be at a con till Sunday evening, unable to process encounters. On Monday, if you haven't sent or implied orders, you'll sleep in.

Day 3 is almost at end!

You have until Monday to send in your evening plans (4PM+). If no encounters happen during the evening, I'll update to Day 4 early next week.

Senior Officer Higgs said:
"Me neither, lad. Nobody believe those codes were used."
"No, you cannot leave the City. Last evactuation vessels left last morning."
"Praying would be a good idea, yes."
"I don't know."
"The radios are working. After the operation, the only incident was a single explosion in the Market District."
"Believing we have the threat cornered is only wishful thinking."
"The HQ is perfectly safe."
Nicholas Flamel said:
What an interesting phenomenon. It seems I cannot replicate the original summoning circle. While performing the impossible indeed is what I do, it seems even I cannot do the impossible twice. I'll have to develop alternate measures to perpetuate the existence of the Stone...

What, you want to know who died today? Hmph. You should be already aware, that the fallen are these:
Zhou Tong
Hans Christian Andersen
Walrein and Eternal Drifter have been eliminated!

The evacuation is complete, and the police have forced all civilians to evacuate inside the HQ. Surely, the end is near...

Day 4 begins now. You have until next Monday to send plans in. If you don't send plans, you sleep in until you do. I'll endeavor to only do IRC encounters from now on to prevent another long day.

E: Mid-game buffs have been applied. They should be visible on your sheets marked with "MGB".

Last edited:
Nicholas Flamel said:
A wizard sat by a table on the Astral Plane, gazing upon three freshly constructed crystal balls.

"It is almost time. The city is empty. Let the oceans roar from the mighty spells you unleash today! Overcome the last remaining opposition and claim the stone as yours!"
"There was magic obscuring how you perceived the status of the War yesterday. Merlin Ambrosius is NOT dead."

"However, these mighty champions have fallen for certain:
Sir Francis Drake
Hekatonkheires

...Now get to killing."
MrcRanger97 and ginganinja have been eliminated. It is now Day 5. You have 48 hours to send plans in.

Nicholas Flamel said:
"Well that was anticlimatic. I need amusement and you clearly need assistance in providing it."

"MARK MY WORDS: Today, at noon I shall move the boundary forcefield protecting the sea inwards in the city, unleashing the sea upon the Poor Districts. If this proves amusing enough, I think I shall repeat the exercise tomorrow. Account this into your plans!"
Nothing happened at all!

It is now Day 6. You have 48h to send plans in.

Last edited:
At noon, the impenetrable forcefield surrounding Atlantis was dropped. An unprecedented event. Not many beings would witness this event and those who did had more pressing concerns on their mind.

Nicolas Flamel said:
"The noose is tightening..."

Nobody died. It is now Day 7. At noon, the flood will consume the next four districts. You have until next Tuesday to send in plans. If everyone has sent plans in before that, I'll start ticking the War onwards earlier.

At noon, the second-largest flood known to Atlantis took over the four middle districts. Only four innermost districts and the Keep remain.

Nicolas Flamel said:
"Non-negligible progress. You shall live for another day."

Nobody died. It is now Day 8. At noon the flood will consume everything except the Royal Keep. You have about 50h to send plans in. Let's aim for ending the whole War over IRC encounters during Day 8.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)