np: ORAS OU Suspect Testing, Round 1 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [Greninja is Uber]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
I'd also like to add that unlike all the stuff that has been banned, ninja doesn't have ultra powerful stabs. It only one-shots stuff if it's super effective. It's easy to use a scarfer that can destroy it or a semi bulky mon that can take one hit and kill it, since harazrds, life orb, and shitty bulk all rack up. But I think Alpha already wrote a lot of that.

forgot to add that Greninja cannot switch into anything for it's life so effectively the user has to sack a poke or gain switch initiative/momentum to bring in ninja, and this is assuming the foe doesn't predict the pivot and goe immediately out to their check/counter. I've watched matches play out where Greninja's was the last poke to come out, by which point the remainder of the opponents team simply gangbangs him merely because he cannot switch into anything.
Volt Switch and U-Turn from slower mons provide great switch opportunities for Pokemon like greninja. Plus, Gren is more effective against balance teams where its vast coverage can help rip the opposing team to shreds. It quite easily switches in on uninvested or resisted attacks from weaker mons, which is another place where it can cause problems.

But even if we are talking about a mon being "frail" we aren't suspecting Greninja because of its capability to wall significant portions of the metagame. We're testing it because of its offensive capabilities. It's also crazy to assume that you know Gren's coverage and can "immediately [go] out to their check/counter". Even Chimpact, who supports the no ban args, said in one of his videos that "you cant use that as an argument. because if you try to predict greninja it does more damage than its taking". In context, chimp was saying that its hard to scout for the moves and even checks can take large chunks of damage when switching in, as you can't just "predict around" gren.

Volt Switch and U-Turn from slower mons provide great switch opportunities for Pokemon like greninja. Plus, Gren is more effective against balance teams where its vast coverage can help rip the opposing team to shreds. It quite easily switches in on uninvested or resisted attacks from weaker mons, which is another place where it can cause problems.

But even if we are talking about a mon being "frail" we aren't suspecting Greninja because of its capability to wall significant portions of the metagame. We're testing it because of its offensive capabilities. It's also crazy to assume that you know Gren's coverage and can "immediately [go] out to their check/counter". Even Chimpact, who supports the no ban args, said in one of his videos that "you cant use that as an argument. because if you try to predict greninja it does more damage than its taking". In context, chimp was saying that its hard to scout for the moves and even checks can take large chunks of damage when switching in, as you can't just "predict around" gren.
Greninja's obviously isn't a wall nor is it being banned for such. But can you really say it's extreme frailty and wear n' tear aspect doesn't pur the utmost of pressure on the user? You predict wrong, you lose could lose your Greninja's or your foe could capitalize on your mistake and bring in aowerful setup mon. If you predict right you dont't even necessarily win the battle. Greninja in general is only as good as its user's prediction skill. And if I recall correctly I thought chimp was on the fence, not necessarily pro no ban

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor
I'd also like to add that unlike all the stuff that has been banned, ninja doesn't have ultra powerful stabs. It only one-shots stuff if it's super effective. It's easy to use a scarfer that can destroy it or a semi bulky mon that can take one hit and kill it, since harazrds, life orb, and shitty bulk all rack up. But I think Alpha already wrote a lot of that.
Ninja is not powerful?? I'm not sure where this is coming from. Even though it's special attack isn't overwhelming the fact that it gets stab on everything means it hits hard regardless, and it's amazing coverage means it can bop any of its common switch-ins for large amounts of damage.

Greninja's obviously isn't a wall nor is it being banned for such. But can you really say it's extreme frailty and wear n' tear aspect doesn't pur the utmost of pressure on the user? You predict wrong, you lose could lose your Greninja's or your foe could capitalize on your mistake and bring in aowerful setup mon. If you predict right you dont't even necessarily win the battle. Greninja in general is only as good as its user's prediction skill. And if I recall correctly I thought chimp was on the fence, not necessarily pro no ban
Sure life orb recoil wears it down but predicting wrong with greninja is such a hard thing to do. It's not choice locked obviously, and its speed means all of its switch-ins have to be able to tank TWO hits in order to force it out. Nothing scarfed or naturally faster wants to switch in, and when you have as good coverage as greninja your switch in that took the first assault has a good chance of dying to the second hit. Sure there will always be things that can take the ninja's hits, but greninja will always adapt to the metagame. When certain pokes that can tank the more commonly used move choices on greninja rise in popularity, the frog can just adjust its moveset to the current meta trends.

ninja doesn't have ultra powerful stabs. It only one-shots stuff if it's super effective.
It gets STAB on everything, which means Greninja hits much harder than its stats would lead you to believe. And only one-shotting if it's super-effective is meaningless, since Greninja isn't going to stay in against something it can't OHKO.

It's easy to use a scarfer that can destroy it or a semi bulky mon that can take one hit and kill it, since harazrds, life orb, and shitty bulk all rack up. But I think Alpha already wrote a lot of that.
When is this Scarfer going to find an opportunity to switch in? And as said before, no half-decent Greninja user will leave it in against something it can't OHKO.

Physically defensive Rotom-W (252 HP / 212+ Def) is 2HKOed by Dark Pulse or Extrasensory with Rocks, and also has a good chance to by 2HKOed by a combo Gunk Shot and Dark Pulse / Dark Pulse. That makes Rotom a check, and that's all assuming Rotom-W is at full health, which is much easier said then done with Rotom. I mean, in theory it works but in practice it falls below the required mark more often then one would like. Obviously every check can be worn down, but Rotom is particular gets worn down really easily.
On the other hand a greatly overlooked pivot into greninja is rain rest U-Turn manaphy. It offers a safe and reliable way to get your scarfer or revenge killer or pursuit user in without damage. A spread with 248hp and equal defenses takes 37% or less from everything except HP Grass. Credit to Branflakes325 for pointing out this mon to me.

Luck O' the Irish

banned in dc
is a Tiering Contributor
On the other hand a greatly overlooked pivot into greninja is rain rest U-Turn manaphy. It offers a safe and reliable way to get your scarfer or revenge killer or pursuit user in without damage. A spread with 248hp and equal defenses takes 37% or less from everything except HP Grass. Credit to Branflakes325 for pointing out this mon to me.
It might be able to take on greninja well overall but I think this qualifies as niche stuff that you really wouldn't want to use outside of beating greninja. If one poke is forcing you to use such an obscure and otherwise not very useful set there is a problem.

But chimp clearly thinks that the no ban arguments outweigh it, why else would he vote no ban?
he said in one of his vids he is more on the fence rn but thinks that it shouldnt be banned right now. 4mss is the biggest arg iirc. i'm saying that "predicting around" shouldnt be used as a counterarg

Um, greninjas lack of bulk puts little to no stress on the user once they get it in (see u-turn and volt switch). The person with gren has little to no reason to predict. Let's look at gren vs a core of Azumarill and Heatran, which is a fairly common example in the OU meta. If greninja is in vs either mon and gren has low kick + gunk (two of the more common moves) the gren user has ZERO reason to predict. If Azu is out, gunk is the best play. If Tran is out, Low Kick is the best play. It puts overwhelming levels of stress on the opponent and forces the opp to play perfectly (which can't really happen) as the gren user loses nothing by making the safe play and forcing the opponent's pokemon to take extra hazard damage / residual.

It might be able to take on greninja well overall but I think this qualifies as niche stuff that you really wouldn't want to use outside of beating greninja. If one poke is forcing you to use such an obscure and otherwise not very useful set there is a problem.
I definitely get what you're saying but if you're a person who considers greninja less of an uber and more of a top tier challenge to begrudgingly adapt to, then a set being obscure or niche doesn't matter because fuck it it works. I think some of the obscurity comes from the fact that hardly anyone would ever think to run u-turn on it and it's definitely a creative idea. I remember way back when no one even know what the fuck alomamola was then one day someone made a thread and within a week it became a stall staple -- such a case really was an example of something being obscure and initially doubted but somehow worked anyway and manaphy is it's own example of "bulky water" that has no reason to be tied to its tail glow set: you can use it like a vaporeon or a rotom or a suicune completely equally well.

When it comes to Greninja and prediction, you might as well try to outplay the coinflip for all the good it will do you. There is a notable factor with its movesets: luck.

Because it is limited to 4 moves, you have to be lucky enough to have a pokemon that could resists the moves it picks, and then stop the checks and counters your opponent would bring out in response.

Because Greninja has nigh-perfect coverage, beating it without losing your own mons are a matter of luck, a coinflip. Can you consistently outplay a coinflip? If the answer was ever yes, then 5-6 Baton Pass teams, Swagplay and evasion would not have been banned at all. Yet they are, because you cannot outplay something that happens by chance and those that could are rakeing it in at Vegas. Greninja is able to get huge advantage because of it's adaptability meaning that there are 2 options: Run Porygon2 specifically to check greninja, or pick a god, and pray to him that your opponent has the wrong moves or is as dumb as BW!Ash.

Those partaking int his discussion must be aware the luck factor inherent of defeating Greninja without a single causality

Why are you telling me that you didn't post that anti-ban argument when I specificly addressed to those who did?
You said something like "there were only arguments like this, so I am going to react to them".
That's why I repeated myself, because since you are afraid to face the truth you rather ignore it and comment someones elses post.

Anyways, I don't know if you are comparing Greninja to Gallade or Mega Gallade but that does not matter.
Simply because Greninja hits with everything equally hard compare to Gallade which can only hit with 2 types of moves really hard.
Funny enough, I would thing that if Greninja had the same damage output as Mega Gallade with moves like Gunk Shot or Hydro Pump, Greninja would most likely have got quickbanned instead of starting this suspect test.
Okay, so I am going to explain you. Every Pokemon has STAB moves. Those are his most powerful moves (in most cases I guess). Those hits hard. But Greninja has low Sp.Atk. However, it doesnt matter so much with LO and Protean. On the other side, there is the fact, that with his "former STABS" he doesn't hit any harder than with other moves. And that is his weak point.

There is 1 thing that makes this arguement completely irrelevant: "it might fail to kill if it fails to predict".
Ok, lets say Greninja is going for Ice Beam and your Scizor comes in. Greninja just switches out and since your opponent knows that you are likely bring in your Scizor again to try revenge kill it, it could go for Hidden Power Fire.

What is that, you want to create a best case senario in order to make your flawed argument look good?
Lets see what Choice Banded Scizor has to say on a 1v1 against Greninja?

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 112-132 (39.2 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This is Technician Boosted Choice Banded STAB Bullet Punch from 252 Adamant Scizor and it is not even a 2HKO against Greninja

"but entry hazards..."
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 112-132 (39.2 - 46.3%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

On the other hand:
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor: 520-614 (151.6 - 179%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 179-212 (52.1 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Wow, you must be very good player. You are basically saying your opponent will predict everything you do and you will predict nothing and lose. Maybe it is not about Greninja being Ban-worthy. Maybe it is about you being bad.

Also the fact, that your favorite Pokemon cannot beat Greninja (even though it actually can) doesnt necessarily mean, it should be banned.
See this.
44+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 25-29 (6.4 - 7.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 248 HP / 100 SpD Mega Scizor: 396-468 (115.4 - 136.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
WOW! Shouldn't we ban Heatran? It can also beat Mega Scizor... or better, we may start to ban all fire moves, so scizor would be invincible... what do you think?

Azumarill has a lot more reliable counters and they aren't as passive as those of Greninja. You mentioned a few to which you can add Mega Slowbro, Mega Venusaur and Celebi (some other notable answers). Being a fully physical attacker it is a great bait for WoW users such as Rotom-W and generally has a lot more checks than Greninja which you slap in your team without usually realising it and relies on Aqua Jet to threaten faster Pokemon.
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 384-454 (95 - 112.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
Wow, nice counter... assuming it dies while there are entry hazards and/or sandstorm (hail) or if it is even little bit damaged.
and Slowbro and Venusaur? Yes, those are counters. Those are Mega though, so they limit your teambuilding more than just adding "Chansey" to your team.
Basically that still makes Azumarill harder to counter than Greninja.
But Azumarill isn't UBER, so why should be Greninja?

And by justifing that Deoxys-A hits twice as hard as Greninja does not change a thing. If the "frail" argument could work on Greninja, then it should work on Deoxys-A as well since it can't switch into anything at all while Greninja at least can switch into resisted hits.
Well it does. Someone said that Greninja is as strong as Deoxys-A, I proved him it is a lie, since Deoxys hit twice as hard. The frail argument work on Deoxys A too.

The problem about Greninja is, that it is ONLY good if he predicts all that happens. Basically one bad prediction means end to Greninja.

It gets STAB on everything, which means Greninja hits much harder than its stats would lead you to believe. And only one-shotting if it's super-effective is meaningless, since Greninja isn't going to stay in against something it can't OHKO..
It doesn't hit harder with Hydro Pump than Torrent Greninja. That's why Protean is good for all moves BUT your former STABS.
Thats what I meant when I said that any other Pokemon hit with their neutral effective STABs for more damage. Because they got better stats AND STAB.
Greninja STAB on everything outweights it bad stats, but basically he is without any powerful neutral move.

If you consider for example Mega Gallade (doesnt really matter which Pokemon it is)
Gallade has move like Knock Off or Ice Punch that hurts well with his high attack stat. Greninja's Ice Beam hits well because of its STAB + LO.
But when M-Gallade wants to hurt something that he doesn't have super effective move, he CAN. He can use Close Combat that is much better than his all attacks, because it gets STAB.
In this case, Greninja has STAB as well, but since it only outweights its bad stats it doesn't count now, because his attack would be no different from the Ice Beam, while Gallade's Close Combat would be much better than Knock Off or Ice Punch.
Thats why Gallade can be used even when he doesn't hit for super effective damage.
Thats why Greninja cannot be used when it fails to carry super effective move.

Last edited by a moderator:

haunter

Banned deucer.
Thats why Greninja cannot be used when it fails to carry super effective move.
Not going to comment on the rest of your post but this part is completely false. The fact that there are Pokémon that can hit harder than Greninja with their STAB moves doesn't mean anything in regards to Greninja's utility and role in the current metagame. Ninja's life orb Hydro Pumps still hit reasonably hard any neutral target and, given its large movepool, it can carry the appropriate move to hit for super effective damage any Pokémon that resists Water attacks. While it's true that it can't use more than 3 coverage moves on each set, you're still risking hard whenever you switch in your Water resistance until you figure out what's the exact set it's running. The fact that Ninja got Poison and Fighting coverage in ORAS only exacerbated the problem.

You're also underselling Protean. Getting STAB on EVERY move is huge. Greninja can do up to 42% to the standard utility Ferrothorn with Ice Beam, something that most Water types can't even dream about. Getting STAB on great offensive Types, such as Ice and Fighting, gives Greninja unparalleled coverage, even against Pokémon it can't hit for super effective damage. Also, when considering Greninja's level of threat, you should also take into account that it has its own Speed tier, which usually allows it to land the 2nd hit on everything that switches into it before they can attack (unless it's a priority, of course).

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Lol this is not a reason to make a 'new tier' for Greninja specifically, because despite how obviously powerful the likes of Mega Lucario, Mega Mawile, and especially Mega Kangaskhan are in OU, I have not heard of literally any relevant mention of them in Ubers, simply because of how much competition for a teamslot they receive. At least Greninja is the only Pokemon with Toxic Spikes (which are stupid powerful in Ubers) + a Taunt fast enough to stop Defog Arceus so he is not actually totally useless, but regardless of how a Pokemon performs in Ubers, as long as it is too powerful for OU it will just be kicked off to Ubers like the rest of the OP Pokemon, simple as that.
What planet you are on when you say that Mega Kangaskhan is irrelevant in Ubers?

Also, I am actually kindof glad that Greninja is being suspected. As an Ubers player who wanders into the OU subforums from time to time, and plays OU sometimes, I absolutely despise the negative influence that Greninja has on the tier. I'm sure all of us have tried to switched Scarf Landorus in on a Gunk Shot, and I'm sure we've all sniped a predicted switchin with the appropriate coverage move when using Greninja. I've even used Shadow Sneak to prevent revenge kills from Breloom and Conkeldurr, and Toxic Spikes are very interesting too, although as an Ubers players I am obliged to love Toxic Spikes. Initially I thought Aegislash should stay in the OU tier, but after it was banned I immediately realised how much breathing room all types of teams had in its absence. Greninja is a poisonous and restrictive influence and needs to go away.

To chip in, I think the real issue here is Protean. Having a quick read through the Victory Road thread, someone raised the point having lure moves (Extrasensory, HP Fire - coverage to get past checks) isn't something exclusive to Greninja - lots of offensive threats will do this to muscle past checks or counters of their most common set.

However, the problem is other OU threats that use lure moves don't get STAB on those lure moves. To put it in a different and hopefully more relatable way, it's getting a specs/band boost on each of its coverage moves on top of what it already receives for Life Orb (a x 1.95 boost of the base damage). That is really what makes it overpowered - things like Gunk Shot wouldn't be anywhere near as threatening without being amped up by Protean - and it's why I think Greninja should be banned.

Greninja's 4MMS, fraility, fanbase, and mindgames are whats going to keep it from being banned if it doesn't get banned. The 4MMS is both a downside on Greninja and the opponent. On Greninja's side, it has to hope that the opponent doesn't carry their appropriate counter, while the opponent has to try and determine what moves the opponent has. It's frailty doesn't instantly warrant it's safety in OU, but with priority running rampant and plenty of megas speed creeping it, It's certaintly not easy using Greninja. "Oh but Blaziken was frail," yeah and blaziken had access to speed boost and swords dance, allowing it to reach an even higher speed than Greninja's while also carrying brutally powerful stab moves. Greninja doesn't have any boosting moves nor speed boost. Despite the fanbase not being a factor in Greninja as a pokemon in the tier, their is a very strong bias towards not banning this, which I guarantee you will influence the votes. Also mindgames and luck are a part of competitive battling. In fact, it promotes players to take risks and analyze their opponent. Greninja may have a lot of mindgames, but that can also be a disadvantage, as the wrong choice can cripple Greninja or it's team. Another thing I should point out, is that status completely ruins greninja. Thunder wave from klefki and thundurus means greninja's speed is no longer a problem. Burn stops low kick and gunk shot from being threatening. And of course, specially defensive venasaur (a viable mon mind you) can just put our little blue friend here to sleep or threaten it with giga drain. So I don't quite think that Greninja is a broken as many think. Yes it is a threat i'm not going to deny that, and maybe it does overcentralize a bit; However, overcentralizing and "overpowered" are not the same thing. But hey that's just one shit heads opininon.

Another thing I should point out, is that status completely ruins greninja. Thunder wave from klefki and thundurus means greninja's speed is no longer a problem. Burn stops low kick and gunk shot from being threatening. And of course, specially defensive venasaur (a viable mon mind you) can just put our little blue friend here to sleep or threaten it with giga drain.
Greninja isn't necessarily that vulnerable to status - it can use Spikes, HP Fire, Grass Knot and Gunk Shot to fend off most attempts at causing status problems. It's correct that you'll need to predict that status, but there's that.

Greninja's 4MMS, fraility, fanbase, and mindgames are whats going to keep it from being banned if it doesn't get banned. The 4MMS is both a downside on Greninja and the opponent. On Greninja's side, it has to hope that the opponent doesn't carry their appropriate counter, while the opponent has to try and determine what moves the opponent has. It's frailty doesn't instantly warrant it's safety in OU, but with priority running rampant and plenty of megas speed creeping it, It's certaintly not easy using Greninja. "Oh but Blaziken was frail," yeah and blaziken had access to speed boost and swords dance, allowing it to reach an even higher speed than Greninja's while also carrying brutally powerful stab moves. Greninja doesn't have any boosting moves nor speed boost. Despite the fanbase not being a factor in Greninja as a pokemon in the tier, their is a very strong bias towards not banning this, which I guarantee you will influence the votes. Also mindgames and luck are a part of competitive battling. In fact, it promotes players to take risks and analyze their opponent. Greninja may have a lot of mindgames, but that can also be a disadvantage, as the wrong choice can cripple Greninja or it's team. Another thing I should point out, is that status completely ruins greninja. Thunder wave from klefki and thundurus means greninja's speed is no longer a problem. Burn stops low kick and gunk shot from being threatening. And of course, specially defensive venasaur (a viable mon mind you) can just put our little blue friend here to sleep or threaten it with giga drain. So I don't quite think that Greninja is a broken as many think. Yes it is a threat i'm not going to deny that, and maybe it does overcentralize a bit; However, overcentralizing and "overpowered" are not the same thing. But hey that's just one shit heads opininon.
I would like to respond to this comment. Firstly, I would like to clarify that Greninja does NOT have 4 MoveSlot Syndrome (4MSS), as Greninja does not need four specific moves to make it effective. The two new moves gained in ORAS, Gunk Shot and Low Kick are adequate to give Greninja the coverage that it needs to check its XY Checks, being fairies such as Clefable and Empoleon. The other two can be adapted to the team to 'fill in the gaps' in its team, so to speak.
Secondly, you state that Greninja has to hope that the opponent does not carry the appropriate counter; on the contrary, I would argue that it is the exact opposite. The player with the Greninja can know what its counters will be and build its team around them; that is what makes Greninja so special. It chooses its own checks/counters. On the other hand, the opponent would be in a much tougher situation, hoping that Greninja doesn't have the appropriate coverage to nail its 'counter'.
Thirdly, you make a point about its frailty. However, this can be easily played around, as mons that outspeed it (>base 122 speed, which isn't common, barring scarfers), are EXTREMELY predictable, such as Breloom, Lopunny, Conkeldurr and Scarfed Landorus/Keldeo for example. Also, Greninja is often paired with Volt-Turners who can ensure its safe switch-in to be sure to nuke something. Furthermore, even through Greninja is worn down constantly through Life Orb, in the majority of cases, it is denting the enemy team while doing so, making it much easier for other pokemon in its team to sweep, as its 'checks' have to switch out, in fear of it carrying another coverage move to hit it.
Fourthly, fanbase does not add to the argument at all, and I assure you, both sides have their arguments, and there is no definite majority. In addition, the mindgames Greninja forces on the opponent are MUCH MUCH greater than the ones it imposes on the player using it, as the opponent would be the one doing the switching; Greninja's excellent coverage is what enables this.
You also make a point of status, however, again, these are quite predictable pokemon, as a good player would be aware of the T-Wave and switch out.

In regards to your Venusaur argument, I would like to make two points. Firstly:
212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Venusaur: 198-234 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Venusaur is not a switch-in.
Secondly:
212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 242-283 (80.3 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
An experienced player would know that Extrasensory would not KO, and would switch Greninja out into something that could take on Mega Venusaur.

You are correct in saying overpowered and overcentralizing are not the same thing. However, do they both achieve the same purpose of contaminating the current meta? I would argue, yes.

In conclusion, I respect your opinion, but I would have to disagree.

Can we see the usage statistics of the moves commonly used on Greninja?
I would like to see what people are actually running on him so we can more effectively and objectively make a judgment on his move pool being a factor.
I am also in the no ban club atm because the ones on pro ban are acting a bit petulant and not really making coherent arguments.

For example, starting with a statement like "Tentacruel and P2 are shitmons and noone in OU should be using them" as a justification to ban Greninja is a very bad start.

From what I understand about any competitive metagame, anytime a new factor comes in and forces players to change the way they play the game there will always be players who want things to go back because they don't want to change.

In the ladder I have also seen no changes in teams, every Lando is wearing a scarf still to my dismay.

If you want OU's meta to be more like old meta, there actually are options to play old meta games.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Can we see the usage statistics of the moves commonly used on Greninja?
I would like to see what people are actually running on him so we can more effectively and objectively make a judgment on his move pool being a factor.
I am also in the no ban club atm because the ones on pro ban are acting a bit petulant and not really making coherent arguments.

For example, starting with a statement like "Tentacruel and P2 are shitmons and noone in OU should be using them" as a justification to ban Greninja is a very bad start.

From what I understand about any competitive metagame, anytime a new factor comes in and forces players to change the way they play the game there will always be players who want things to go back because they don't want to change.

In the ladder I have also seen no changes in teams, every Lando is wearing a scarf still to my dismay.

If you want OU's meta to be more like old meta, there actually are options to play old meta games.
On 1825 Glicko ladder
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2014-11/moveset/ou-1825.txt

According to the usage stats it doesn't even have checks and counters :toast:

I would like to respond to this comment. Firstly, I would like to clarify that Greninja does NOT have 4 MoveSlot Syndrome (4MSS), as Greninja does not need four specific moves to make it effective. The two new moves gained in ORAS, Gunk Shot and Low Kick are adequate to give Greninja the coverage that it needs to check its XY Checks, being fairies such as Clefable and Empoleon. The other two can be adapted to the team to 'fill in the gaps' in its team, so to speak.
Secondly, you state that Greninja has to hope that the opponent does not carry the appropriate counter; on the contrary, I would argue that it is the exact opposite. The player with the Greninja can know what its counters will be and build its team around them; that is what makes Greninja so special. It chooses its own checks/counters. On the other hand, the opponent would be in a much tougher situation, hoping that Greninja doesn't have the appropriate coverage to nail its 'counter'.
Thirdly, you make a point about its frailty. However, this can be easily played around, as mons that outspeed it (>base 122 speed, which isn't common, barring scarfers), are EXTREMELY predictable, such as Breloom, Lopunny, Conkeldurr and Scarfed Landorus/Keldeo for example. Also, Greninja is often paired with Volt-Turners who can ensure its safe switch-in to be sure to nuke something. Furthermore, even through Greninja is worn down constantly through Life Orb, in the majority of cases, it is denting the enemy team while doing so, making it much easier for other pokemon in its team to sweep, as its 'checks' have to switch out, in fear of it carrying another coverage move to hit it.
Fourthly, fanbase does not add to the argument at all, and I assure you, both sides have their arguments, and there is no definite majority. In addition, the mindgames Greninja forces on the opponent are MUCH MUCH greater than the ones it imposes on the player using it, as the opponent would be the one doing the switching; Greninja's excellent coverage is what enables this.
You also make a point of status, however, again, these are quite predictable pokemon, as a good player would be aware of the T-Wave and switch out.

In regards to your Venusaur argument, I would like to make two points. Firstly:
212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Venusaur: 198-234 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Venusaur is not a switch-in.
Secondly:
212 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Extrasensory vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 242-283 (80.3 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
An experienced player would know that Extrasensory would not KO, and would switch Greninja out into something that could take on Mega Venusaur.

You are correct in saying overpowered and overcentralizing are not the same thing. However, do they both achieve the same purpose of contaminating the current meta? I would argue, yes.

In conclusion, I respect your opinion, but I would have to disagree.
Check it's X/Y checks? Don't you mean counter? Also yes Greninja does have 4MMS. Gunk shot and Low kick do give it it's needed coverage moves, however, there are still pokemon that can get around those moves. The last two moves are the moves that greninja will use to get past those counters, such as HP Fire, hydro pump, ice beam, dark pulse, and extrasensory. However, with only two moves available, that means greninja has to pick carefully and get a team that can aid it. Therefore, Greninja needs team suppport (not a ridicoulous amount, but it needs a good deal of it) in order to be successful. The team has to compensate it's 4MMS. Is that a characteristic of a Uber/broken pokemon? Also, that doesn't mean your opponent can analyze the team and figure out for themselves what moves Greninja will carry. Of course, if they have a bad matchup then they're screwed, but Greninja doesn't lack in the Checks and counters department like many of the other Ubers. Also, just because it's predictable, that doesn't mean it will still not force out greninja. Breloom can play mind games with greninja by sporing or seeding it's switch or going straight for the KO. Loppuny can set up a sub on the switch or fake out greninja and then just go for the KO. Conkeldurr is still threatening to greninja and will still force it to switch regardless. Scarfed Lando can just U-turn and deal lots of damage to it, while also lowering it's attack stat. Yes Greninja is denting the enemies team (and it better be), but any pokemon should do that regardless. Competitve battling isn't about counters anymore, it's about checks and prediction. And also, yes fanbase doesn't change whether or not greninja is overpowered, but it will influence the vote. People really like greninja, so their is going to be a very strong bias among the voters. I promise you, greninja wasn't put in the new Smash Bros. just because he was a strong pokemon. The bias amongst fans will influence the vote. How much? i don't know. And as for mindgames, I would respectively disagree. The pressure is equal amongst both opponents and their is never a safe choice for the player using Greninja or the one fighting it. It promotes risk and analytical skills amongst the player to determine what the best and worst choices are. And also, status from several of these mons can be predictable; but once again, predictable doesn't always mean it's going to allow Greninja to beat them. Klefki can still paralyze greninja or anything else on it's team that isn't immune to it, and if it's a dual screener, then it can set up a screen, making greninja's life a lot harder. Greninja may not have many counters, but a pokemon with no counters doesn't instantly warrant a ban (i.e hydreigon from Gen. V).

On 1825 Glicko ladder
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2014-11/moveset/ou-1825.txt

According to the usage stats it doesn't even have checks and counters :toast:
so only 1 out of every 8 Greninja actually runs Low Kick. This is very reassuring because it really shows what we should actually be scared of.
There are only six moves with usage above 10% which really makes him not much more versatile than other offensive threats in OU.
This is based on raw data of actual usage.

We should not ban Greninja based on what it has the potential to do. The data shows that Greninja in relevant use isn't that varied after all...

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
so only 1 out of every 8 Greninja actually runs Low Kick. This is very reassuring because it really shows what we should actually be scared of.
There are only six moves with usage above 10% which really makes him not much more versatile than other offensive threats in OU.
This is based on raw data of actual usage.

We should not ban Greninja based on what it has the potential to do. The data shows that Greninja in relevant use isn't that varied after all...
You should remember these usage stats are from November. These only apply from the release of ORAS untill 31. November (around 10 days) The metagame still needed to develop [even though the oras ou ladder was already around for over 1 month] and after more and more people started using pokemon like Chansey and Empoleon, the usage of Low Kick rose. The usage of Low Kick will probably be a lot higher in the december statistics. Even the most used set of Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Gunk Shot and Hydro Pump has the ability to punch holes in balanced teams as even pokemon like Rotom-W and Ferrothorn can't come in very often, even when it lacks HP Grass or HP Fire / Low Kick.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Check it's X/Y checks? Don't you mean counter? Also yes Greninja does have 4MMS.
What is defined as 4MSS? By definition, 4MSS means that something essentially requires more than four moves to do its job. Defensive Eeveelutions are a good example - they'd love to have all of Wish, Protect, Baton Pass for slow switches, Heal Bell and an attacking move, but they can't and have to drop either Baton Pass or Protect (usually Baton Pass), which makes them less effective overall (still useful, but not as useful as they would be otherwise). This is a very good analogy that Steel With It made and this aptly sums it up. Gren doesn't suffer from this.

Gunk shot and Low kick do give it it's needed coverage moves, however, there are still pokemon that can get around those moves. The last two moves are the moves that greninja will use to get past those counters, such as HP Fire, hydro pump, ice beam, dark pulse, and extrasensory. However, with only two moves available, that means greninja has to pick carefully and get a team that can aid it. Therefore, Greninja needs team suppport (not a ridicoulous amount, but it needs a good deal of it) in order to be successful. The team has to compensate it's 4MMS.
This statement is actually false. This would only be the case if you are building a team around Gren. However, one rarely ever builds around Gren. If anything, it's the opposite. Greninja uses its offensive option to patch the team's issues.

Is that a characteristic of a Uber/broken pokemon? Also, that doesn't mean your opponent can analyze the team and figure out for themselves what moves Greninja will carry. Of course, if they have a bad matchup then they're screwed, but Greninja doesn't lack in the Checks and counters department like many of the other Ubers.
Support wise, it falls under the characteristic of an Uber worthy mon. If Gren just had Protean and basic coverages, it wouldn't be such an issue. But the thing now is that Gren has not only Protean but flawless coverage coupled with an amazing speed tier. This allows it force it's checks out because you will always be in the "Does he carry this? Does he carry that". The problem with this results in heavy restrictions on team building. You are either forced to pack Scarfers on a more passively oriented team to not be broken down by Gren. Or you are forced to pack Passive mons on a more offensively oriented team to check Gren. And even when you "check" Gren, unless you are born with the ability to read minds, you can't 100% get Gren's moveset. This in itself makes your checks shaky because there is no standard Gren set that Gren will run. They have the flexibility of choice.

Also, just because it's predictable, that doesn't mean it will still not force out greninja. Breloom can play mind games with greninja by sporing or seeding it's switch or going straight for the KO. Loppuny can set up a sub on the switch or fake out greninja and then just go for the KO. Conkeldurr is still threatening to greninja and will still force it to switch regardless. Scarfed Lando can just U-turn and deal lots of damage to it, while also lowering it's attack stat. Yes Greninja is denting the enemies team (and it better be), but any pokemon should do that regardless.
There is no reason for Gren to stay in for any of these scenarios. I don't understand why you would bring them up. If you want to use prediction as an argument, it will always work both ways. If he predicts your to spore, he Ice Beams. If he predicts you to seed/mach then, he switches. This is a really invalid statement.

Competitve battling isn't about counters anymore, it's about checks and prediction. And also, yes fanbase doesn't change whether or not greninja is overpowered, but it will influence the vote. People really like greninja, so their is going to be a very strong bias among the voters. I promise you, greninja wasn't put in the new Smash Bros. just because he was a strong pokemon. The bias amongst fans will influence the vote. How much? i don't know.
So how is this a Greninja is not ban worthy argument? Blaziken was a fan favorite as well. Let's take a look at where he is now.

And as for mindgames, I would respectively disagree. The pressure is equal amongst both opponents and their is never a safe choice for the player using Greninja or the one fighting it. It promotes risk and analytical skills amongst the player to determine what the best and worst choices are.
This is very true. However, in the case of Greninja, it is different for the sole fact that he has an insane speed tier. The speed tier means that he has more flexibility in his choices whereas the opponent is in a back foot. Let's say you switch in Scizor or Ferro, expecting a Gunk Shot. And you get it right. Does that mean you an stay in and dish something back out at him? No. Because he still has the possibility of running Low Kick or HP Fire. The thing about him is that he has that godly unboosted speed tier that gives him strong pivoting potential and ability. And with that speed, he is backed up by Protean Life Orb boosted coverages. That itself, eases a lot of pressure on the Gren user because he now has the momentum. You see where I am getting at?

And also, status from several of these mons can be predictable; but once again, predictable doesn't always mean it's going to allow Greninja to beat them. Klefki can still paralyze greninja or anything else on it's team that isn't immune to it, and if it's a dual screener, then it can set up a screen, making greninja's life a lot harder.
Why on earth would anyone let their Gren obviously get statused. The thing about Gren, is that it has the capability of masking what it truly aims to do (like a ninja) and with that insane speed tier, it allows him to be an amazing momentum grabbing mon since the mere sight of him on the opposing team will cause you to play your Gren checks carefully. And once your Gren checks are worn down, Gren's job becomes either much more easier or completed.

Greninja may not have many counters, but a pokemon with no counters doesn't instantly warrant a ban (i.e hydreigon from Gen. V).
Gren is more comparable to Deoxys-S imo. If Hydreigon had 123 base speed, believe me when I say it WILL get the ban.

Check it's X/Y checks? Don't you mean counter? Also yes Greninja does have 4MMS. Gunk shot and Low kick do give it it's needed coverage moves, however, there are still pokemon that can get around those moves. The last two moves are the moves that greninja will use to get past those counters, such as HP Fire, hydro pump, ice beam, dark pulse, and extrasensory. However, with only two moves available, that means greninja has to pick carefully and get a team that can aid it. Therefore, Greninja needs team suppport (not a ridicoulous amount, but it needs a good deal of it) in order to be successful. The team has to compensate it's 4MMS. Is that a characteristic of a Uber/broken pokemon? Also, that doesn't mean your opponent can analyze the team and figure out for themselves what moves Greninja will carry. Of course, if they have a bad matchup then they're screwed, but Greninja doesn't lack in the Checks and counters department like many of the other Ubers. Also, just because it's predictable, that doesn't mean it will still not force out greninja. Breloom can play mind games with greninja by sporing or seeding it's switch or going straight for the KO. Loppuny can set up a sub on the switch or fake out greninja and then just go for the KO. Conkeldurr is still threatening to greninja and will still force it to switch regardless. Scarfed Lando can just U-turn and deal lots of damage to it, while also lowering it's attack stat. Yes Greninja is denting the enemies team (and it better be), but any pokemon should do that regardless. Competitve battling isn't about counters anymore, it's about checks and prediction. And also, yes fanbase doesn't change whether or not greninja is overpowered, but it will influence the vote. People really like greninja, so their is going to be a very strong bias among the voters. I promise you, greninja wasn't put in the new Smash Bros. just because he was a strong pokemon. The bias amongst fans will influence the vote. How much? i don't know. And as for mindgames, I would respectively disagree. The pressure is equal amongst both opponents and their is never a safe choice for the player using Greninja or the one fighting it. It promotes risk and analytical skills amongst the player to determine what the best and worst choices are. And also, status from several of these mons can be predictable; but once again, predictable doesn't always mean it's going to allow Greninja to beat them. Klefki can still paralyze greninja or anything else on it's team that isn't immune to it, and if it's a dual screener, then it can set up a screen, making greninja's life a lot harder. Greninja may not have many counters, but a pokemon with no counters doesn't instantly warrant a ban (i.e hydreigon from Gen. V).
I'm on my phone now, so forgive my poor formatting.
To begin, I did mean counters/hard checks, so that was a mistake on my part.
Now to respond to your comment.
Greninja does not need to beat every Pokemon to be effective. All it needs is coverage to beat its most common switchins. The other moves can be adapted to the team's needs, as said before.
Greninja certainly lacks in the counters department. What counters Greninja, apart from Porygon2?
My point with the revenge-killers is that any player with experience in the OU tier know about these pokémon and would switch Greninja out. Who would stay in with a Greninja on a Landorus, with scarfed lando being so prevalent on the ladder?
I'm not going to respond to the fan base or mind games argument, as I have already posted my thoughts, and we seem to have differing viewpoints. Which is perfectly fine.

Finally, in response to your status argument, Greninja is often paired with Volt-Turn meaning that its teammates have an immunity to Thunderwave. Secondly, with defog being the most common way of hazard removal, the screens can be defogged away.

If there are any holes in my grammar/spelling I apologize, as it is 3 AM here.

I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I promise you, even if we ban Protean all together, that won't be enough to keep it in OU.
Come on now.

EDIT (since im pretty sure its against the rules to just post a sentence lol): If you take protean away, you take away STAB on everything. There are many mons who have outstanding coverage, but they don't get STAB on every move. This is what makes greninja so good, and what makes him hit so hard. Gunk Shot would not be an issue if it wasn't STAB, Ice beam would lose a lot of power, etc etc.

If Greninja lacked protean, I personally believe it would not be OU, there may be some discussion for it still being OU though, but to say that he would still get suspect tested is just flat out wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)