Which Hobbit movie was your favorite?

• An Unexpected Journey

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • The Desolation of Smaug

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • The Battle of Five Armies

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
The Hobbit is my favorite book followed by The Silmarillion followed by TLOTR trilogy. Movie wise, Return of the King > Two Towers > Fellowship > haven't had enough time to judge The Hobbit movies yet (haven't seen 2 yet either).

I was pretty disappointed when Jackson announced that he was making The Hobbit 3 films as opposed to the originally intended 2. This was clearly a cash grab but I can't really blame him because it worked. If anything it just makes me glad TLOTR films were released before it became common to split a book into multiple films. Anyways, I didn't mind The Hobbit films. People that compare books to films annoy me because half the time they go into the film knowing it's going to be worse than the movie, solely so they can shit on it and explain to their friends (who half the time don't give a fuck) that this was not supposed to happen, so and so were not supposed to fuck, etc.

The only issues I really had with The Hobbit films included the poor pacing (primarily because the book is short, but especially with things like Smaug dying in the first 5 minutes of the third film; seriously wtf), Legolas making more than just a cameo (he was mentioned in the book but what they did to him was silly), the constant references to TLOTR as if most people don't already know that this is a prequel or couldn't put two and two together, and the length of the final battle (as mentioned by Shinryu). Also, didn't the first film open up with Bilbo telling the story to Frodo? I expected it to end the same way but it didn't (unless it was after the credits). Dain looked REALLY bad too. I'm pretty certain he was CGI, but I have no idea why he was CGI. Other than that I thought they were your standard big budget action films.

The Hobbit is my favorite book followed by The Silmarillion followed by TLOTR trilogy. Movie wise, Return of the King > Two Towers > Fellowship > haven't had enough time to judge The Hobbit movies yet (haven't seen 2 yet either).

I was pretty disappointed when Jackson announced that he was making The Hobbit 3 films as opposed to the originally intended 2. This was clearly a cash grab but I can't really blame him because it worked. If anything it just makes me glad TLOTR films were released before it became common to split a book into multiple films. Anyways, I didn't mind The Hobbit films. People that compare books to films annoy me because half the time they go into the film knowing it's going to be worse than the movie, solely so they can shit on it and explain to their friends (who half the time don't give a fuck) that this was not supposed to happen, so and so were not supposed to fuck, etc.

The only issues I really had with The Hobbit films included the poor pacing (primarily because the book is short, but especially with things like Smaug dying in the first 5 minutes of the third film; seriously wtf), Legolas making more than just a cameo (he was mentioned in the book but what they did to him was silly), the constant references to TLOTR as if most people don't already know that this is a prequel or couldn't put two and two together, and the length of the final battle (as mentioned by Shinryu). Also, didn't the first film open up with Bilbo telling the story to Frodo? I expected it to end the same way but it didn't (unless it was after the credits). Dain looked REALLY bad too. I'm pretty certain he was CGI, but I have no idea why he was CGI. Other than that I thought they were your standard big budget action films.
The movies weren't bad but compared to the book they were awful. Yes, no movie will be better then the book but this one could've been better. They could've easily made it more accurate and better films

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My biggest gripe with the third Hobbit film was the scene where Legolas is fighting atop a ruined stone tower, a troll knocks the tower down, across a gorge...

...and it ends up lying still, like a bridge. I and a bunch of other civil engineering students saw it together, and at that point we all went "nope". Stone structures simply do not work that way. The tower should have broken apart under its own weight mid-fall. That's how poorly they can handle bending moments. The scene continued to violate basic principles of structural mechanics by having the walls of the tower break apart when orcs were shoved into them, but the "bridge" staying intact until held together by a single column. When Legolas was jumping from falling brick to falling brick as the "bridge" finally collapsed, we had all just stopped caring.

Also, earlier in the battle, where a bunch of elves ruin what would have been a perfectly defensible pike wall by jumping over it. Congratulations, now the dwarven phalanx serve no purpose, but also you can't retreat because there's a flipping pike wall in your back. "Hollywood tactics" doesn't even begin to describe it. Never mind the two thousand elven archers never even firing a single volley over the course of the entire battle, despite evidently having brought their bows and archery being their goddamn speciality.

I actually went to see the third film twice, but had to leave early because another appointment I had totally forgotten. That's when I realized that most of the plot of the movie is contained within the first 25 minutes.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Nitpicking how unrealstic a film is about random engineering or military tactics when it features elves and magic and trolls and dwarves is just... it's just something fucking else man, holy shit.

Nitpicking how unrealstic a film is about random engineering or military tactics when it features elves and magic and trolls and dwarves is just... it's just something fucking else man, holy shit.
no dude, fantasy races and magic are the things you take for granted in those settings. everything else is expected to work the same as the real world. the legolas fighting scene alone ruined the suspension of disbelief for the entire movie (though it wasn't the only ridiculously impossible one). i completely agree with the other poster.

no dude, fantasy races and magic are the things you take for granted in those settings. everything else is expected to work the same as the real world. the legolas fighting scene alone ruined the suspension of disbelief for the entire movie (though it wasn't the only ridiculously impossible one). i completely agree with the other poster.
While this is true I don't see how physics can ruin a whole movie :/

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah seriously guys have you seen no movies or video games before? Fallen towers become bridges, it'd be lamer if they didn't. It's one of a couple billion ways that fiction doesn't work like reality, fantasy worlds or not. It's like you've never read TV tropes or something.

Now jumping over the phalanx, that was stupid.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I get that the movies won't always follow the book(s) perfectly, but the ending of the Hobbit BO5A movie felt rushed, especially in comparison to the battle. They spent a good part of the movie agonizing over the Arkenstone, but they completely forget about it in the aftermath. Granted it was only ever a plot device even in the book, but there was no adequate closure for that particular plot that corresponds with the heavy emphasis that was placed on it for the second and third movies. We see no aftermath for the people of the Lake Town, or whether Dale was rebuilt (all we got was a celebratory feast that we didn't even see).

One good thing about the last movie: Bilbo was more useful than in the book, where he got knocked out after literally ducking out of the battle by slipping on the Ring.

If we pretend the books (and common sense in the characters) don't exist, the movies weren't terrible. The third movie just ended up being the one that contributed the least to the overall plot. I was a bit disappointed that the appendixes from the LOTR books wasn't touched on much, but the movie was already dragging on long enough that it wasn't too big an issue.

My biggest gripe with the third Hobbit film was the scene where Legolas is fighting atop a ruined stone tower, a troll knocks the tower down, across a gorge...

...and it ends up lying still, like a bridge. I and a bunch of other civil engineering students saw it together, and at that point we all went "nope". Stone structures simply do not work that way. The tower should have broken apart under its own weight mid-fall. That's how poorly they can handle bending moments. The scene continued to violate basic principles of structural mechanics by having the walls of the tower break apart when orcs were shoved into them, but the "bridge" staying intact until held together by a single column. When Legolas was jumping from falling brick to falling brick as the "bridge" finally collapsed, we had all just stopped caring.

Also, earlier in the battle, where a bunch of elves ruin what would have been a perfectly defensible pike wall by jumping over it. Congratulations, now the dwarven phalanx serve no purpose, but also you can't retreat because there's a flipping pike wall in your back. "Hollywood tactics" doesn't even begin to describe it. Never mind the two thousand elven archers never even firing a single volley over the course of the entire battle, despite evidently having brought their bows and archery being their goddamn speciality.

I actually went to see the third film twice, but had to leave early because another appointment I had totally forgotten. That's when I realized that most of the plot of the movie is contained within the first 25 minutes.
Legolas has had his little scenes since the first LOTR film. They're supposed to be cheesy and unrealistic. What was your reaction when he swung from a mumakil's tusk (the elephant) only to land perfectly atop it, kill every dude on it by swinging on a rope, and then slide down it's fucking trunk like it was made of ice?

Legolas has had his little scenes since the first LOTR film. They're supposed to be cheesy and unrealistic. What was your reaction when he swung from a mumakil's tusk (the elephant) only to land perfectly atop it, kill every dude on it by swinging on a rope, and then slide down it's fucking trunk like it was made of ice?
Yeah the appeal of fantasy movies is it being unrealistic imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)