Resource RU Viability Ranking: ORAS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natural Talent

Don't die trying to live..
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Uh what does Pidgeot potentially leaving have to do with Scyther's current viability (for the record I'm voting dnb on bird jesus as are a lot of other ppl), also I didn't comment on Scyther cause I haven't seen anyone use it in the current meta so I had no opinion on it, but your arguments for it aren't that great lol. The reason that Moltres and Fletchinder are highly ranked is that they have more things going for them than Scyther does as mentioned by scrafty above. Not to mention Moltres and Fletchinder both have Roost for their main sets to mitigate rocks damage while Scyther with the banded set (which is the one you are arguing should make it rise) does not. Main reason I replied and stated similar info to Scrafty is cause the fact that a suspect is potentially leaving or getting banned should not affect a nomination (unless its to hold off one until the suspect is over).
i used it and that's the reason why i want it to move up. Bird is leaving tbh but that's a discussion for another time

If a top rank Pokemon being suspected is still playable on the ladder, you still need to prepare for it. Doesn't matter if the vote is 40 to 3, you still prepare for it.

Anywho, after thinking some more, Emboar definitely needs to rise to A or maybe even A+. With the ability to check a lot of the meta, it can get free switch-ins, and pressure the opponent on what to sack. Most of the time, it doesn't need to predict and just use Flare Blitz, unless your opponent has a Alomomola or a Tyrantrum, then you just click Wild Charge and Superpower respectively. The Scarf set checks most of S-Rank, except for Dragalge and Cresselia, but Dragalge can't switch in, and Cresselia gets destroyed by the banded set.

Really, Emboar is one of the best Pokemon in the tier, because of its ability to pressure most of the meta with only one move, run multiple sets to success, and gets multiple free switch-ins thanks to its typing. And thus, should definitely move up to A or A+.

And I haven't used M-Steelix yet, but it seems to be fine where it is at.

Unranked ----> D/C-
While it was true in XY that Gorebyss outclassed Huntail in every way, Huntail gained some moves in ORAS to give it a niche over Gorebyss. SmashPass (which is mainly Gorebyss is B- in the first place) sets actually have some way to go offensive before passing to a mon, as Sucker Punch can give it an extra kill, going off the firepower added by Shell Smash, in some scenarios. CoilPass is also cool for bulkier recipients, giving it another advantage over Gorebyss. Its special bulk leaves some things to be desired, especially with all the strong special attackers running around (Serp, MSceptile, Dragalge, Meloetta, etc), which is why I only said D/C-.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quagsire -> C-
I tried out using quag some for the teambuilding comp, and it really isn't good. Its a mon that clearly can be used only on stall, because of its complete momentum killing tendencies. But even on stall, it faces severe competition from other bulky waters (big fish in particular). Quagsire provides basically no support for the team, and doesn't have the general "wall most things" tendency that a lot of bulky waters have. The combination of forcing the rest of the team to provide the support all stall teams need in clericing, wishing, defogging, rocks, etc. while also forcing the rest of the team to be the sole answer for dealing with almost all stallbreakers (camerupt, serperior, dragalge, glalie all murder quag, and its a very weak answer to pangoro). This tradeoff is simply not worth it in most all cases, because all quagsire provides is beating a few threats that are either relatively niche, or relatively easy for stall to handle without quag (sd cobalion, drapion, doublade, tyrantrum). Basically my feeling is that while we have the current suspects in the tier, stall does not have a spot to use on less crucial things, and so quagsire stall is fundamentally flawed.

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright. M-Glalie to A+

I know it's in A, but let me out the A-Rank blurb here.
Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

Mega Glalie can do all of the above better than most pokemon. It has versatility in a spikes set that has priority, Taunt, and a base 487 power move to prevent the opponent from defogging or spinning away hazards (if they live) while the attacking set can simply spam Double Edge against anything slower than it, while Ice Shard deals with faster threats. As it stands, MGlalie is super anti meta, as it's one of a few pokemon who can check or greatly hamper all three suspects. (Pidgeot takes an average of 60% from shard after rocks, greatly weakening it. Dragalge is fucked by Double Edge. Serperior takes around 55% from shard, meaning with only rocks as prior damage, it's allowed only two-three leaf storms [which can be easy to live with proper switching]) Also, none of the three can switch in. It has no problem battling it out with the two premier A+ walls, Gligar and Alomomola, the former is 4x weak to Glalie's high power STAB, and the latter is 2HKO'd by freeze dry. It beats non scarf variants of Moltres, and without Rocks up can tie vs. Life Orb (Glalie does min 88% with Double Edge, so any prior damage means it's dead, and if it does above 90%, Moltres dies to Life Orb) and it checks Mega Sceptile with Ice Shard.

Here we have a Pokemon that checks 5/6 of the S Rank mons and beats all four A+ rank mons with relative ease. (Melo is OHKO'd by Double Edge after Rocks [min does like 87%] while a hyper voice to a -SpD nature MGlalie does around 76% max. Pangoro is OHKOd 70% of the time after rocks.) MGlalie is hugely anti meta currently, and the ability to beat all but 1 pokemon above it by ranks (2 if Moltres is scarf) just leads me to believe that MGlalie deserves to be with fellow wallbreakers Pangoro and Meloetta in A+'rank.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure where to put this since I didn't see any general discussions; but @ the people worrying about the site saying Tyrunt's HA is Rock Head instead of Sturdy, the Pokémon Company just corrected it to Sturdy today, so Tyrantrum is definitely getting Rock Head as seen in the extracted data.

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not entirely where to put this since I didn't see any general discussions; but @ the people worrying about the site saying Tyrunt's HA is Rock Head instead of Sturdy, the Pokémon Company just corrected it to Sturdy today, so Tyrantrum is definitely getting Rock Head as seen in the extracted data.
This would probably go better in the NP thread, but it's good to know nonetheless.

Unranked ----> D/C-
While it was true in XY that Gorebyss outclassed Huntail in every way, Huntail gained some moves in ORAS to give it a niche over Gorebyss. SmashPass (which is mainly Gorebyss is B- in the first place) sets actually have some way to go offensive before passing to a mon, as Sucker Punch can give it an extra kill, going off the firepower added by Shell Smash, in some scenarios. CoilPass is also cool for bulkier recipients, giving it another advantage over Gorebyss. Its special bulk leaves some things to be desired, especially with all the strong special attackers running around (Serp, MSceptile, Dragalge, Meloetta, etc), which is why I only said D/C-.
Huntail is honestly better than Gorebyss, and with some hazard support, he can OHKO all the threats you quoted.
So, i think Gorebyss should go to the rank you said, and Huntail should simply steal the rank of Gorebyss, if not B, that's arguable through.

Exploud for B Rank: Exploud is by far the worst B+ pokemon of the bunch. This is mainly due to him having some rough competitions with the various wallbreakers of the tier. His Speed is mediocre at best, his bulk isn't good, and with some pokemons like Bronzong or Escavalier becoming more common, Exploud has more trouble spamming Boomburst.

Spiritomb for A Rank: We're entering into a controversial discussion here. As i'm sure you all know, Spiritomb is the best spinblocker of the tier, as well as being the best pursuit trapper of the tier. To me, due to how effective this two roles Spiritomb accomplish in the tier. It's also a threat to some physical attacker who fear the Will O, and can even hit through Sub, which is pretty sweet.

Huntail is honestly better than Gorebyss, and with some hazard support, he can OHKO all the threats you quoted.
So, i think Gorebyss should go to the rank you said, and Huntail should simply steal the rank of Gorebyss, if not B, that's arguable through.

Exploud for B Rank: Exploud is by far the worst B+ pokemon of the bunch. This is mainly due to him having some rough competitions with the various wallbreakers of the tier. His Speed is mediocre at best, his bulk isn't good, and with some pokemons like Bronzong or Escavalier becoming more common, Exploud has more trouble spamming Boomburst.

Spiritomb for A Rank: We're entering into a controversial discussion here. As i'm sure you all know, Spiritomb is the best spinblocker of the tier, as well as being the best pursuit trapper of the tier. To me, due to how effective this two roles Spiritomb accomplish in the tier. It's also a threat to some physical attacker who fear the Will O, and can even hit through Sub, which is pretty sweet.

Whismicott, at least the offensive variant, scares Spiritomb away with STAB Moonblast.

Banette should be much, much higher than C. It's only a bad Pokemon if you are using it to Protect / Destiny Bond, which is what most people seem to be running for some reason.

Prankster is a great ability and works great with Banette's movepool. It can run Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave and / or Destiny Bond to be able to cripple pretty much anything, switch out (because OHKOing Banette isn't that easy) and then take down another Pokemon with Destiny Bond. If you want to break stall Will-O-Wisp + Taunt + Pain Split works amazingly well. Substitute + Pain Split destroys slowish teams. Also Shadow Claw is extremely spammable and the few Pokemon that resist / are immune to Ghost can be crippled by status.

I can post a bunch of replays of Banette doing work, including my latest SPL game, if you want me to. Such an underrated Pokemon that has a bad reputation because the average ladder player is terrible.

phantom

Banned deucer.
it was suggested a page back i think, but i'd be in favor of moving mega aboma to a+. mega opportunity cost isn't as big as it once was, and mega aboma itself matches up pretty well vs a lot of top threats (think the current three suspects) thanks to its killer stabs/priority. sd is still as vicious as it was in xy, and mixed sets with focus blast can even throw conventional checks such as cobalion for a loop. it's still a pokemon that teams have to take another precautionary step to prepare for, and although it faces new obstacles in a much more common bronzong (pursuit bait) and houndoom (sr weak and can't even switch in), it's still an incredible, anti-meta pokemon in many respects and has been performing very admirably in higher level play, particularly spl.

i might also consider moving durant to a- because the scarf set has been gaining some traction as of late and it's a pretty amazing revenge killer/cleaner thanks to its speed and power. it would be the perfect scarf user if not for the miss chance though, so no higher than that. =(

I agree with the two above nominations, I have offensive M-Banetter and Banded Durant with Sticky Web support, and they are brutal. Banette reaches a massive 471 attack stat, leaving whatever switches into a Shadow Claw is going to be hurt, unless it is a normal type. In which case you can cripple it with status or hit it with a coverage move like Gunk Shot or Sucker Punch/Knock Off. Really, Mega Banette is pretty underrated, and should move up. And Durant is a pretty nice Pokemon, with decent STAB and multiple viable sets. Scarf is great for revenging, band 2HKOs everything, BP is good, and Hone Claws is nice. Overall, it deserves to move up, as it is just too powerful to stay at B+

And with Spirit's reasoning, I can see Abomasnow moving up to A+

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Mega steelix for S rank

It is the ultimate Curse Sweeper and can have a really viable SR set that I don't use because the Curse set is sooooooo good.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-204438154

look as it dismantles this stall team minimal support because it is so strong

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-204424412

look at the roflsmash of emboar on a STAB SUPERPOWER that factoring in the drops would have only like 5hko or something...but I ohko it first!! I also kill half his team with steel snake. This was a game when I was still using spore amoonguss but honestly it didn;t even need to sleep Drapion for me to counter

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-204697185

here I demonstrate steelix is the ultimate set up sweeper and all others crumble before it including registeel and cressy

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-204435708

another devastating snake bite!

I have so many more replays of Steelix doing so much more too on my hilarious account on PS! because Steelix has an incredible base 230 defense so it it just aided by Impish nature or even no nature boost but at least max HP it has a ridiculously high defense and becomes un OHKOable with a physical move I think. Walls lots of big threats like Escavalier and you actually beat Sub Magnet Rise Magneton given you get not too unlucky with Flash Cannon drops. snekky snek is totally at least A+ or A rank but I would go for S ^___^

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega steelix for S rank

It is the ultimate Curse Sweeper and can have a really viable SR set that I don't use because the Curse set is sooooooo good.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-204438154

look as it dismantles this stall team minimal support because it is so strong

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-204424412

look at the roflsmash of emboar on a STAB SUPERPOWER that factoring in the drops would have only like 5hko or something...but I ohko it first!! I also kill half his team with steel snake. This was a game when I was still using spore amoonguss but honestly it didn;t even need to sleep Drapion for me to counter

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-204697185

here I demonstrate steelix is the ultimate set up sweeper and all others crumble before it including registeel and cressy

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rususpecttest-204435708

another devastating snake bite!

I have so many more replays of Steelix doing so much more too on my hilarious account on PS! because Steelix has an incredible base 230 defense so it it just aided by Impish nature or even no nature boost but at least max HP it has a ridiculously high defense and becomes un OHKOable with a physical move I think. Walls lots of big threats like Escavalier and you actually beat Sub Magnet Rise Magneton given you get not too unlucky with Flash Cannon drops. snekky snek is totally at least A+ or A rank but I would go for S ^___^
While Mega Steelix is certainly a good mon, it is fairly illogical for something to move up all the way from B rank to S rank with the likes of Cresselia and Moltres, both of which basically define the tier.
I honestly can't tell if you're being serious or not.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
While Mega Steelix is certainly a good mon, it is fairly illogical for something to move up all the way from B rank to S rank with the likes of Cresselia and Moltres, both of which basically define the tier.

Cressy is delicious set up fodder and while moltres is a giant problem it's usage is drastically decreasing with pidgey serpy and draggy all taking up roles as strong special attackers. Steelix has good chances against all of them at +1

Edit: am serious totes believe Steelix should go up to s and would be satisfied with a

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Cressy is delicious set up fodder and while moltres is a giant problem it's usage is drastically decreasing with pidgey serpy and draggy all taking up roles as strong special attackers. Steelix has good chances against all of them at +1

Edit: am serious totes believe Steelix should go up to s and would be satisfied with a
Already started using that set and it kicks ass. Like Curse Registeel but it has two attacks and serious power/physical bulk for those physical fightings. also it BEATS curse registeel which is helpful for a stall team.

Also lol, cresselia is just setup bait as said above. if anything cressys popularity is a good reason to move up MegaLix

Edit: Did i mention Lix is a legitimate defensive Pokemon, a secondary check to a lot of stuff as well as primary switch-in for some seriously dangerous threats, while braking stall this hard?

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright I'm a fucking innovation lord so I came up with a pro set for a Pokemon that someone else innovated that currently is not ranked.

Musharna @ Kee Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass
- Psyshock

I decided I really wanted to use CM BP mushy after Bouff used it to CT me during an XY RU tournament using it, and I improved the set by changing the item from Leftovers to Kee Berry (used it for about 1/3 of my ladder reqs (the latter third)). For those of you that don't know, Kee Berry raises your physical defense stat by 1 stage when you are hit with a physical move. Given Musharna's immense bulk and reliable recovery, its actually very easy for it to get to +1 / +2 / +2 (Def / SpA / SpD) and pass the boosts to a teammate (right now receivers I've tried are Moltres and Mega Sceptile, but I'm sure that Mega Pidgeot, Dragalge, Jolteon, etc. would all be good, I even had success passing to Sub B-Drum Slurpuff, which appreciated the defense boosts when setting up). Synchronize is actually very useful as well, as it punishes Pokemon like Alomomola that attempt to spread burns or toxic by reflecting the status back at them. Given Musharna's immense bulk, reliable recovery, and the ability to support its teammates on Balance or Bulky Offense, I know Musharna deserves a spot on this list in spite of the competition with other Psychic-types in RU. I would go so far as to say it deserves the rank of B-.

As for other nominations, I'm actually going to agree with the raising of Sawk from B- to B or B+. Sturdy Choice Band is actually incredibly useful with the right support, as its almost impossible for offense to keep on top of all of the threats out there right now. Because it can live any one hit and actually just nuke the other team back its extremely useful in every match you can keep rocks off the field. The best part is that it isn't even dead weight against Defensive teams, as it has a powerful Knock Off, Close Combat 2HKOes Alomomola, and it doesn't need to keep sturdy in tact against Defensive teams because they can't do much back to it.

Mesprit to B+ or A-, this thing is the face of offense in RU, perfect record (2-0 ;o) in SPL, and its just all around incredibly useful. Healing Wish + SR + beating all of the defoggers is so incredible idk how to even describe it.

Fletchinder to A+ rank
I have been using this mon in the suspect test, and so many time its the win condition in the game.
From what have seen it can threaten all play styles(though mostly offense), it always give some super important revenge kill, sweep or just spread a crucial burn.
While fire/flying have a glaring 4x weakness to stealth rock, if you avoid it you find a cool defensive type, especially when can invest in hp instead of speed(cause priority). It resist fighting, fairy, steel, bug, fire, grass(crucial with serperior and m-sceptile roaming around) and ground immunity.
Here is a list of mon that destroyed by the bird:
252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Abomasnow: 260-308 (67.7 - 80.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 282-332 (96.9 - 114%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Sceptile: 342-404 (121.7 - 143.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Pangoro: 332-392 (88.2 - 104.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 174 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 259-306 (79.9 - 94.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Glalie: 322-381 (106.9 - 126.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Camerupt: 270-318 (78.4 - 92.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

And those are just few example, when its get to +2 there so few things can stop this monster. And you will be suprise to see that its not that hard with this typing, hp investment, and most important-that switches that it forces.
Against stall the story a little different, there are a lot of things that can survive +2 acrobatics, but no so many things that can stop it from get to +3 or mabye +4.

0 SpA Alomomola Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Fletchinder: 144-170 (43.9 - 51.8%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Bronzong Gyro Ball (56 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Fletchinder: 44-52 (13.4 - 15.8%) -- possible 7HKO
0- SpA Cobalion Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Fletchinder: 140-166 (42.6 - 50.6%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO

To sum up-
Amazing revenge kill and sweeper that threaten every offensive mon and team, even though its struggle against stall, a lot of time stall also struggle against it.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)