Pokémon Gyarados

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we get some discussion going on good partners for (Mega) Gyarados? It's obvious that our favorite leviathan is a powerful standalone sweeper, but dual STAB Dark/Water has quite a few problems in this meta & certain 'mons like Keldeo, Azumarill, Ferrothorn, M-Altaria, and CHESNAUGHT will easily prevent a sweep. For this reason Gothitelle is always touted as a great partner though Goth doesn't aid Gyarados versus HO at all & on principle it's a disgusting pokémon to use.

Clefable handles most of Gyarados' checks and can run a whole slew of sets from mixed bulk to standart max bold, either unaware or magic guard, either CM or Aromatherapy or Rocks or fire coverage or any combination therein... Really I think this is more a testament to Fable's versatility than specific synergy with M-Gyara, though giving very few fucks about Chesnaught / Ferrothorn is important here. Clefable / Gyarados / Raikou has been listed in the "good cores" thread though you need to be very aware of which 'mons you're leaving yourself exposed to depending on Fable's spread & ability. BD Azumarill sweeps if you're magic guard Fable for instance. [ shoutout hey yal ]

Celebi deserves a mention imo for being an excellent answer to Keldeo & at least weakening Azumarill. Offensive sets with Psychic and/or HP Fire could help but realistically your opponent isn't staying in with bulky grass-types anyway; dry Baton Pass is generally better for this reason. Celebi lures in Scizor and Heatran which Gyara can capitalize on. Celebi / Heatran / Gyarados forms a cute little FWG but make sure you have Gengar switch-ins. I'm very, very interested in pairing Gyarados / Celebi with SD Gliscor as an answer to Gengar and another powerful answer to stall.

Offensively Talonflame and BD Azumarill really pressure the pokémon Gyarados can't beat. However, these pokémon basically telegraph their gameplan to the opp and do stack weaknesses, making opposing Mega Mane / Thundy / Raikou more dangerous to play against.

Every team I make is always a little Ferrothorn weak; it's kind of my Achilles' heel. And with Chesnaught being the #1 Gyarados counter, I'm wondering if anyone has any cool lures to break down Gyarados' checks. I've been thinking about LO Roost + 3 attacks Scizor with Aerial Ace for punishing Chesnaught and hitting Keldeo for as much as a Superpower. Basically 'mons that lure or otherwise take advantage of Chesnaught & Ferrothorn are necessary to aid M-Gyarados, as well as secondary sweepers for Keldeo, Azumarill, and Altaria.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yes, jolly nature helps mega gyarados not get revenge killed by stuff like m-manectric, m-lopunny and let it get the jump on stuff like m-sceptile and m-beedrill at +1. The increase in speed tiers more or less force you to run jolly at this point.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Iirc bulky gyarados sets is normal gyara, not mega gyara. Also, Taunt should be slashed first imo, slash eq on crunch/waterfall. Lol why not do a revamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)