Pokémon Gyarados

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intimidate and Moxie are opposites. Intimidate helps with getting the initial dd by forcing switches, but Moxie makes it less likely that the opponent will be able to stop your already in progress sweep bar machpunches, prankster status, and talonflame. Prankster burn is still super annoying. CharX is better in this regard but M-Gyarados makes up for it with bulkywaterness.

Let's not forget that Intimidate works right away, and only special attackers, Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, and possibly Magic Bouncers wouldn't have anything to fear from it. Moxie requires that Gyarados be able to get that first KO, which sometimes can be that bit difficult to do.

Last edited:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Crunch​

Actually this Set is amazing , it can breaks stall as sweep offenses , the spread is max Attack and 248 Speed to oustpeed 145 BS at +1 like Mega Beedrill and Mega Sceptile, but you can put 196 EV Speed to outspeed Mega Loppuny and Manectric at + 1 , and the rest on extra bulk.

Moveset's analysis :

-Dragon Dance : set up moove , allowing it to destroy offensive teams.
-Waterfall : it's the main stab on gyarados , the most indispensable.
-Crunch : it's the new toy that received Gyarados with ORAS , helping it to handle as well stall as Slowbro plus forming with waterfall the nice Dark/water core (only resist by 3 pokemon in OU).
-Taunt : it's the signature moove of this set , taunt si very usefull , il allow gyarados to breaks stall teams alone , it can taunt many annoying stalls as Gliscor , Mega Sabley , Mew , weakned Skarmory and Ferrothorn (without powerwhip) , then set up on them easily.

I invite you to discuss this set , it need good teammates to sweep as well , pokemon that can handle Azumarill , keldeo and Mega altaria , weakning mon's like Skarm , Rotom and Ferrothorn.​

Last edited:

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Crunch​

Actually this Set is amazing , it can breaks stall as sweep offenses , the spread is max Attack and 248 Speed to oustpeed 145 BS at +1 like Mega Beedrill and Mega Sceptile, but you can put 196 EV Speed to outspeed Mega Loppuny and Manectric at + 1 , and the rest on extra bulk.

Moveset's analysis :

-Dragon Dance : set up moove , allowing it to destroy offensive teams.
-Waterfall : it's the main stab on gyarados , the most indispensable.
-Crunch : it's the new toy that received Gyarados with ORAS , helping it to handle as well stall as Slowbro plus forming with waterfall the nice Dark/water core (only resist by 3 pokemon in OU).
-Taunt : it's the signature moove of this set , taunt si very usefull , il allow gyarados to breaks stall teams alone , it can taunt many annoying stalls as Gliscor , Mega Sabley , Mew , weakned Skarmory and Ferrothorn (without powerwhip) , then set up on them easily.

I invite you to discuss this set , it need good teammates to sweep as well , like manage Azumarill , keldeo and Mega altaria , weakning mon's like Skarm , Rotom and Ferrothorn.​
Well Pairing up with Mega Altaria will be difficult, but it is definitely a good set,

Is Bounce still a viable option on Gyarados? It gives it an advantage over Chesnaught and Keldeo pre mega, plus it gives you the ability to mega evolve later for intimidating.

Is Bounce still a viable option on Gyarados? It gives it an advantage over Chesnaught and Keldeo pre mega, plus it gives you the ability to mega evolve later for intimidating.
Bounce is great on base forme Gyara but not so ideal on Mega Gyara, since losing Sub or Taunt means it doesn't beat M-Sableye & stall more generally. Spiky Shield Ches still counters you to all hell. EQ is better coverage if you're going DD + 3 attacks, but Sub/Taunt is still preferable imo.

Bounce is great on base forme Gyara but not so ideal on Mega Gyara, since losing Sub or Taunt means it doesn't beat M-Sableye & stall more generally. Spiky Shield Ches still counters you to all hell. EQ is better coverage if you're going DD + 3 attacks, but Sub/Taunt is still preferable imo.
Yeah , you need Taunt to break stall and on the mega bounce is not stab , you can run EQ at least over taunt for coverage and not be walled bye Azumarill and keldeo
but i'm focusing on the Taunt set , because it's juste amazing against stall team

Yes, although Chesnaught isn't particularly effected by it as long as it is running Spiky Shield, also it's not really viable on Mega Gyrados as Bounce without STAB is just not worth the hassle..

Edit: Greninja'd

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/gyarados

Top set, though since Noivern isn't really a thing and Greninja got banned, it's probably ok to drop some speed, 115+ should probably be the next tier to go for at +1 (or 120 if you're particularly afraid of Alakazam).
115 isn't an actual EV number though. :I

Assuming you meant 116, I don't know why you included 120 if you're scared of Zam, because 116 already outspeeds Modest Alakazam with 1 Dragon Dance. Also it took me a while to realise you weren't saying Jolly Gyarados, because putting a + at the end of the numbers means a nature boosting that stat in calcs.

TBH, I'm not sure how common Modest Zam is, I reckon Timid is usually the more used one. I actually checked usage stats, about 55% of Zams tend to use Timid. As a result, i reckon 204 speed will be more useful. It also gets the jump on Sceptile pre-mega. Or you can even go to the next level and speed creep things that try to outspeed those base 120s but idk what there are that does that since most people just go 252/252 (for good reason, speed is important).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
115 isn't an actual EV number though. :I

Assuming you meant 116, I don't know why you included 120 if you're scared of Zam, because 116 already outspeeds Modest Alakazam with 1 Dragon Dance. Also it took me a while to realise you weren't saying Jolly Gyarados, because putting a + at the end of the numbers means a nature boosting that stat in calcs.

TBH, I'm not sure how common Modest Zam is, I reckon Timid is usually the more used one. I actually checked usage stats, about 55% of Zams tend to use Timid. As a result, i reckon 204 speed will be more useful. It also gets the jump on Sceptile pre-mega. Or you can even go to the next level and speed creep things that try to outspeed those base 120s but idk what there are that does that since most people just go 252/252 (for good reason, speed is important).
He meant Base Speed.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gyarados doesn't see enough usage IMO. I haven't tried out the mega yet (planning to make a team with him tonight) but normal Gyara is still a beast in the current metagame. Intimidate is one of the most useful abilities for checking physical threats and makes it easier to force a switch and set up. Rotom-W is running around everywhere but Gyarados is still a huge threat, especially with Taunt or Substitute to limit your opponent's answers to a sweep.

Is Jolly considered the only acceptable nature now? There's still merit in Adamant IMO due to kinda poor initial start up power, and mega Gyara without a doubt has the bulk to get to +2.

Is Jolly considered the only acceptable nature now? There's still merit in Adamant IMO due to kinda poor initial start up power, and mega Gyara without a doubt has the bulk to get to +2.
Adamant is still fine tbh, you only miss out on Mega-Sceptile, Mega-Lopunny, Mega-Beedrill, Mega-Manectric, Mega-Alakazam and Mega-Aerodactyl and most scarfers, but you'd miss out on those anyway (as well as on Timid/Jolly Mega-Zam/-Aero, which are probably the standard nowadays anyway) and like you said, Gyara is bulky enough to get to +2 quite often, and outside of Lounny those megas aren't that hard to check and things like Beedrill, Aerodactyl and Alakazam can't really come in on Gyarados, neither can Manectric unless he's scouted you to not have EQ.

Hi guys! Sorry if this has been asked already. I need help choosing between MGarchomp and MGyarados. What do you guys think?
I think that they're completely different mons with no similarities at all.

MDos is a setup sweeper/stallbreaker and MChomp is a mixed attacker/wallbreaker.

That said MChomp is rather lackluster IMO.

I think that they're completely different mons with no similarities at all.

MDos is a setup sweeper/stallbreaker and MChomp is a mixed attacker/wallbreaker.

That said MChomp is rather lackluster IMO.
Thanks for your answer! So what about running a Life Orb Chomp together with a MDos (pretty much standard setup)?

Jolly is extremely handy to stop you being revenged by the faster Megas and certain scarfers but adamant is okay for the extra power. Tbh it is personal preference. I prefer Jolly but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)