(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

If you want a specific Hidden Power for a competitive 'mon, especially if it involves multiple even IVs, you need either:
  • A lot of time invested in getting IVs of 30
  • Pokégenned 'mons with the right IVs
  • One of N's Pokémon (requires B2/W2 and Pokébank)
They should really make a much easier way to get IVs of 30 without transferring, rather than spending hours breeding and hoping you get lucky.

If nothing else, perfect IVs shouldn't be HP Dark (which nothing uses). Why not make it HP Fire, Ice, or Ground? You know, the ones you actually want?

Reactions: JES
If nothing else, perfect IVs shouldn't be HP Dark (which nothing uses). Why not make it HP Fire, Ice, or Ground? You know, the ones you actually want?
I swear it is just to make us rage all the more, even though I know that surely couldn't be it.

Or do programmers just have a rotten sense of humor? :/

Simple; it symbolically shows that by systematically breeding your Pokémon over such a large amount of time the eventual child comes out empty with no good in it's heart. This is a result of siblings breeding with fathers and mothers, many children released and left for dead, and the fact that this child will grow up to be used for battling and nothing more, never loved and only used to annihilate opponents.
You have created a weapon. A monster. An abomination that will never know friendship and love. And for that, it's true self is darkened to the point it cannot be saved.

Happy Battling! ^v^

Simple; it symbolically shows that by systematically breeding your Pokémon over such a large amount of time the eventual child comes out empty with no good in it's heart. This is a result of siblings breeding with fathers and mothers, many children released and left for dead, and the fact that this child will grow up to be used for battling and nothing more, never loved and only used to annihilate opponents.
You have created a weapon. A monster. An abomination that will never know friendship and love. And for that, it's true self is darkened to the point it cannot be saved.
That's...that's...that is the single best fan theory I have ever heard.

Happy Battling! ^v^
Yeah, but I play with each and every one of them in Amie!

In fact, their orientation consists of:
Playing in Amie until their affection maxes

Putting in the right EVs in Super Training.

Well, except for the Pokémon that I had to breed specifically for the Battle of Hoenn, but even then, I still play with them from time to time a little.

And a large majority of the leftovers are Wonder Traded, though what happens to them afterwards, I have no idea. Except for when the game refuses to give me the results I want, such as giving me a female with the Hidden Ability when I'm breeding starters or something like that, and I'm running out of box space, in which case, as far as I'm concerned they don't exist.

More Ability nonsense. Why in the name of Arceus does Ledian have Iron Fist? Alright, fine, it has a decent coverage combo in Drain Punch and Dizzy Punch, but I'm living for that base 35 attack. You can't honestly tell me there's any flavor behind that. It's almost as bad as Vital Spirit Delibird. Almost.

1) The fact that OHKO moves could connect with Pokemon of the same level. It's as if it's there so that the AI in the Battle Tower / Subway / Maison can BS you out of a winning streak.

2) The Unova regional birds who appears often and likes to spam Detect and Roost to waste your PP. It wouldn't be so bad if they aren't encountered virtually everywhere in Unova.

3) Random AI opponents who likes to spam Sand-Attack, Minimize and Double Team. When they do this, they seem impossible to hit and are very very annoying. We're not even in a Battle Facility where the AI combines this with OHKO moves, Quick Claw, Focus Band (it sometimes activates several times in a row when you hit them with a multi-hit move), Brightpowder and seeemingly-never-missing low accuracy moves ( Blizzard, Thunder, Focus Blast, etc.)

4) Sturdy Pokemon encountered in the Wild (Roggenrola, Boldore, etc.) . Unless you have Mold Breaker / Teravolt / Turboblaze, they're just wasting your PP.

5) Evolutions suddenly not getting access of moves their pre-evolutions can learn naturally. Want a Breloom with Spore? Better train that Shroomish to Lv45 (This is not stated anywhere in the game) . This especially applies to Stone Evolutions where most fully-evolved Pokemon doesn't get moves by Level-up (which is annoying before you get TMs). Furthermore, some Pokemon gets access to moves at a high level (for example, Staryu only learns Hydro Pump in the 60s) so you would have to use the far weaker pre-evolution if you wanted the move.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
More Ability nonsense. Why in the name of Arceus does Ledian have Iron Fist? Alright, fine, it has a decent coverage combo in Drain Punch and Dizzy Punch, but I'm living for that base 35 attack. You can't honestly tell me there's any flavor behind that. It's almost as bad as Vital Spirit Delibird. Almost.
Ledian is a bit weird in general. It's like the team who made its stats didn't talk to the people who made its movepool so both made different assumptions based on its design. Seeing its cute appearance the Stat Team saw it as a Special and Defensive Pokemon. Meanwhile the Movepool Team saw its clenched fists and thought of it as a Physically and Offensive Pokemon so gave it a whole batch of Physical attacks even though it was Special-oriented. THEN the Ability Team, caught in the middle of this miscommunication, delegated by making its default Abilities not being specifically Special or Physical but, seeing its Physical Movepool with punching moves decided to give it Iron Fist so maybe give some meaning to having such a movepool. And of course, being its suppose to be an early Bug Pokemon who's stats don't even go over 400 BST no one really cared to change anything.

Maybe if it gets a Mega Evolution that'll help it out. Though Ledian is based on a Ladybug, its design is trying to evoke something else though I'm not completely sure what. I sort of see two additional inspiration in its design (and maybe that's where the miscommunication happened). One is that it looks almost like an alien, it somewhat looks like a stereotypical Grey alien which is further hinted at by its Pokedex entry which state the spot on its back are affected by the stars in the sky (this is probably what the Stat Team saw). But I also sort of see a superhero tokusatsu inspiration as well like Masked Rider (though its not a grasshopper, its still a Bug-type) or Super Sentai (the way its face was designed reminds me more of a Super Sentai/Power Ranger mask), which is maybe why it has clenched fists (and this is what the Movepool Team saw). If it gets a Mega Evolution I think they should maybe try to bring out the superhero tokusatsu side of it. I say make it Bug/Fighting, let it keep Iron Fist, and pull a Mega Beedrill by almost completely re-speccing its stats so its a Physical Attacker.

Norm: 55/35/50/55/110/85//390
Mega: 55/165/60/15/90/105//490

Also give it some more punching moves to make use of Iron Fist (Bullet Punch, Dynamic Punch, Elemental Punches, Shadow Punch, and Sky Uppercut would fill things out nicely). While I'm normally against completely re-speccing a Pokemon, if anyone remembers my confusion why they make Mega Pidgeot a Special attacker instead of keeping it a Physical, it was pointed out to me that no one uses normal Pidgeot and no one is definitely using Ledian. A complete stat re-spec is what these Pokemon need and the Mega Evolution is the chance to do that.

1) The fact that OHKO moves could connect with Pokemon of the same level. It's as if it's there so that the AI in the Battle Tower / Subway / Maison can BS you out of a winning streak.

2) The Unova regional birds who appears often and likes to spam Detect and Roost to waste your PP. It wouldn't be so bad if they aren't encountered virtually everywhere in Unova.

3) Random AI opponents who likes to spam Sand-Attack, Minimize and Double Team. When they do this, they seem impossible to hit and are very very annoying. We're not even in a Battle Facility where the AI combines this with OHKO moves, Quick Claw, Focus Band (it sometimes activates several times in a row when you hit them with a multi-hit move), Brightpowder and seeemingly-never-missing low accuracy moves ( Blizzard, Thunder, Focus Blast, etc.)

4) Sturdy Pokemon encountered in the Wild (Roggenrola, Boldore, etc.) . Unless you have Mold Breaker / Teravolt / Turboblaze, they're just wasting your PP.

5) Evolutions suddenly not getting access of moves their pre-evolutions can learn naturally. Want a Breloom with Spore? Better train that Shroomish to Lv45 (This is not stated anywhere in the game) . This especially applies to Stone Evolutions where most fully-evolved Pokemon doesn't get moves by Level-up (which is annoying before you get TMs). Furthermore, some Pokemon gets access to moves at a high level (for example, Staryu only learns Hydro Pump in the 60s) so you would have to use the far weaker pre-evolution if you wanted the move.
1 & 3) I think OHKO moves should be banned in places like the Battle Maison. Like if there was a Battle Frontier which had a special facility with one of the possible challenges being a trainer with OHKO moves then fine (in fact the Battle Factory had a trainer that could be like that), but for something like the Battle Tower/Subway/Maison which is essentially Normal battles except with the Pokemon made to be the best they can be, I'd rather to see mostly skill then luck. Like they can use inaccurate but powerful moves, but nothing like OHKO or evasion increasing moves because at that point you're making it ENTIRELY luck based and if I wanted that I'd prefer something like the Battle Pike or Battle Arcade.

2 & 4) Meh, I don't really mind it as they're easy enough to runaway from and its not like I would grind them for experience. Personally my problem are the wild Pokemon that won't let you escape and you're forced to knock it out go on your way. Looking at you, Trapinch.

5) I'm a bit mixed on this. First off, I agree with you on Pokemon who evolve through Level-Up. Why can't Breloom learn Spore? It's still a mushroom, it just has fists now! Oh, or how about Grovyle learning Giga Drain at a level right after it would evolve, had no one told me that before ORAS came out and I found out later I'd be pissed. Now, I do like how the early evolutions can learn moves earlier than their evolution, but there are just some moves that both pre-evolution and evolution should be able to learn no matter what even if the evolution learns it at a later level. Now am I saying the pre-evolution shouldn't learn exclusive moves? No, but they should be something special/additional that would make you think it would be nice to have but not essential. Like for Breloom, maybe if Shroomish at a much later level learns Aromatherapy or Growth you'd maybe consider raising a competitive Breloom with those moves, but they're not really necessary to have the Shroomish family do what it does.
As for Stone Evolutions or Pokemon who evolve in ways that don't need them to Level up, they're a special case. While a Pokemon who evolve by leveling-up feels like they're naturally growing up, a Pokemon you need to do extra stuff to evolve them feels like you're forcing them to evolve so of course there are going to be side effects like them not learning certain moves. BUT with that said, I do think the evolution should maybe have a unique movepool of its own. Now obviously being the same Pokemon they're going to share moves and I would say they should share moves that allow them to do what they're suppose to do (Starmie should be able to learn Hydro Pump, personally I see it as one of the "common" Water-type moves that most Water-types should be able to learn). However I think since you're forcing it to change that would mean what it naturally would learn would also change a bit to reflect what it was and what it now became. For example, maybe Staryu would exclusively learn moves like Harden, Minimize, & Cosmic Power while Starmie would learn Power Gem, Zap Cannon, Water Spout, & Extrasensory. Now obviously I wouldn't have all Pokemon set-up like that, it would depend on the Pokemon, but I think you got the main idea. The pre-evolution would learn things that would naturally fit it (Staryu is a starfish, they don't do much so I imagine it learning a lot of status moves) while Starmie was evolve so that it could serve a function the trainer wants it to (Starmie was made to be a powerful Special attacker, it's no longer trying to blend in but rather standing out and blasting anything in front of it).

I have a new one for you, one which I found out while trying to go Kyurem hunting in my Alpha Sapphire version. One that would have pissed me off if I hadn't had the fortune of making a Reshiram in Pokedit: the fact that you can't get to the Gnarled Den to catch without having both Zekrom AND Reshiram.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad if you could catch both, but noooo, unless you have the luck of either having one traded to you, or you have a friend who is willing to lend the member of the yin-yang duo that you need (and this does not even go into having to keep him long enough to soft reset for at least a "somewhat superior" IV spread), you're out of luck, the Gnarled Den will never show up, and you'll never be able to catch Kyurem!

And just out of curiosity, just how many out there would even have been willing to lend me their Reshiram if I didn't happen to have one?

I think it is one thing to encourage trading, but if you need a one-of-a-kind Pokémon to open up access to an area, that is pretty much dependent on the whim of other players, or in other words, fucking luck, that is where I draw the fucking line!!!

If I didn't happen to have a Reshiram, I'd be raging, and be saying phrases that are very vulgar, and probably be using god's name in vain (which I know I probably shouldn't do, but when you're raging, well, that sort of thing gets blurted out...).

I have a new one for you, one which I found out while trying to go Kyurem hunting in my Alpha Sapphire version. One that would have pissed me off if I hadn't had the fortune of making a Reshiram in Pokedit: the fact that you can't get to the Gnarled Den to catch without having both Zekrom AND Reshiram.

Now, this wouldn't be so bad if you could catch both, but noooo, unless you have the luck of either having one traded to you, or you have a friend who is willing to lend the member of the yin-yang duo that you need (and this does not even go into having to keep him long enough to soft reset for at least a "somewhat superior" IV spread), you're out of luck, the Gnarled Den will never show up, and you'll never be able to catch Kyurem!

And just out of curiosity, just how many out there would even have been willing to lend me their Reshiram if I didn't happen to have one?

I think it is one thing to encourage trading, but if you need a one-of-a-kind Pokémon to open up access to an area, that is pretty much dependent on the whim of other players, or in other words, fucking luck, that is where I draw the fucking line!!!

If I didn't happen to have a Reshiram, I'd be raging, and be saying phrases that are very vulgar, and probably be using god's name in vain (which I know I probably shouldn't do, but when you're raging, well, that sort of thing gets blurted out...).
You need Dialga and Palkia for Giratina, and Tornadus and Thundurus for Landorus... Hell, you needed both Tornadus and Thundurus to get Landorus in Black/White, and only one is roaming in each. The game also is assuming you either keep both or just long enough to go get it, save, and move on. (the three perfect IV's makes them easier to have stronger ones but isn't necessarily an invitation for everyone to sit in front of 'em for weeks as they soft reset them) Won't deny it's annoying though. Rayquaza in HG/SS was kind of the worst: you needed Groudon and Kyorge from HG/SS specifically to get the Jade Orb to find the emerald dragon.

You need Dialga and Palkia for Giratina, and Tornadus and Thundurus for Landorus... Hell, you needed both Tornadus and Thundurus to get Landorus in Black/White, and only one is roaming in each. The game also is assuming you either keep both or just long enough to go get it, save, and move on. (the three perfect IV's makes them easier to have stronger ones but isn't necessarily an invitation for everyone to sit in front of 'em for weeks as they soft reset them) Won't deny it's annoying though. Rayquaza in HG/SS was kind of the worst: you needed Groudon and Kyorge from HG/SS specifically to get the Jade Orb to find the emerald dragon.
I guess that Palkia that Arceus made for me in SS in going to come in handy. And good thing that I have a Tornadus hanging around somewhere in my Y version, because I can only catch Thundurus in Alpha Sapphire, and I never got Black. Good thing I had one or two traded to me over time, but once again, that is luck, and not everyone is going to be so lucky.

It is one thing if you can only catch one initially in Black/White, but do they have to repeat the same thing a generation later? They could've just compromised, and made it possible to catch Thundurus or Tornadus, and bring what you have to catch Landorus.
If they keep this up, players who just don't have the resources and/or luck that I have will never be able to obtain Landorus. Don't these idiots realize that this only encourages cheating (which is incidentally the only way I was able to get a Landorus: through Pokédit)?

I know the above remark is scathing, but yeah...

That, or go through the arduous work of porting your legendaries up through the gens. Oh wait...if you played Emerald and Platinum where you get all three cover legendaries anyway, why even bother? That precious hexagon? (I'm legitimately curious on that.)

I guess that Palkia that Arceus made for me in SS in going to come in handy. And good thing that I have a Tornadus hanging around somewhere in my Y version, because I can only catch Thundurus in Alpha Sapphire, and I never got Black. Good thing I had one or two traded to me over time, but once again, that is luck, and not everyone is going to be so lucky.

It is one thing if you can only catch one initially in Black/White, but do they have to repeat the same thing a generation later? They could've just compromised, and made it possible to catch Thundurus or Tornadus, and bring what you have to catch Landorus.
If they keep this up, players who just don't have the resources and/or luck that I have will never be able to obtain Landorus. Don't these idiots realize that this only encourages cheating (which is incidentally the only way I was able to get a Landorus: through Pokédit)?

I know the above remark is scathing, but yeah...
Preaching to the choir there.

My big problem with this idea is that this idea pans out much worse in practice for a number of reasons.
- Pokemon is not the "everyone has a copy" sensation it was in the 90's. Finding friends who can lend you the Pokemon isn't an inevitability.
- Which raises the other problem: Trading w/ strangers. There's a serious issue of trust with non-acquaintances since there will be a point where they have your Tornadus and their Thundurus, and there's no guarantee they'll return it if you do this for a loan.
- If you do this on an actual trade, why would I trade away my Tornadus if I know I still need it w/ a Thundurus to get Landorus?

It just seems like a poorly thought out way to encourage trading, when in actuality it leads to either cheating, or the need to buy multiple games (either Alpha Sapphire and Black for the Thundurus and Tornadus respectively, or the Dream Radar and Gen 5 to receive Palkia and/or Dialga)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Version Exclusives:
I've said it once and I'll say it again, version exclusivity is really a non-issue nowadays with GTS and easy ways to hack in the Pokemon you want. I guess for the version mascot there's a story reason (which gets combined in the 3rd version anyway), but for all other Pokemon? Honestly they need to start doing other things to justify the multiple versions. Like really work on making making locations feel different and maybe even have version exclusive areas, have characters that only appear in a certain version, and maybe even have the story differ way more. You know, things you can't send over to the other game like you can with Pokemon. Heck, if you want you can even use the different locations to justify the version exclusive Pokemon, like having a desert area in one game but a beach area in another. They'll both share a few Pokemon, but since they're different environments they'll also have different kinds of Pokemon adapted for that environment.
Also, being trading is a big part of the game, maybe giving us more than an Experience Boost would help stop people from hacking Pokemon (well, theoritcally). I can mention a few raw ideas but its late and at the moment I'm a bit lazy. I'd mention one though people probably won't like it: have it so that when you trade version exclusive Pokemon, they'll maybe be able to learn a move from the other version exclusive they wouldn't normally get.

Smashing Gems
:

Yeah, weird how even in ORAS they didn't bring back the Elemental Gems. Seriously, just give them to use by having us Rock Smash rocks, you did it with the Normal Gem in XY among other items now just program the other Elemental Gems to be acquirable. Make it a buyable prize from the Battle Maison for some BP. Heck, have there be special ways to get each of the gems if that'll peak your interest enough to finally include them in.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've heard that they didn't want the Gems back because GF thought that they were too powerful, especially with moves like Draco Meteor nuking things.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I've heard that they didn't want the Gems back because GF thought that they were too powerful, especially with moves like Draco Meteor nuking things.
Wasn't that the point? You trade in one turn for a super powerful move in exchange for then having no items for the rest of the battle (I'm sure there are some exceptions like Pokemon who can use Recycle, but that was the general rule).

Hold it, I just checked and found out they've been nerfed! They made them do 30% more damage instead of 50%. Why not test out the new damage they can do, what's the point of nerfing them if you're not going to release them? They're essentially now a one use Life Orb with no HP cost, doesn't sound too powerful to me.

Well, Gems were probably not brought back because they dominated VGC, the only competitive format GameFreak cares about. This is totally ignoring the fact that VGC has Item Clause active, and, well, there are seventeen different Gems but only one Life Orb (for example). So no wonder they were the go-to power-boosting item because you could stack several of them on a team in a way you couldn't do with other items.

Well, Gems were probably not brought back because they dominated VGC, the only competitive format GameFreak cares about. This is totally ignoring the fact that VGC has Item Clause active, and, well, there are seventeen different Gems but only one Life Orb (for example). So no wonder they were the go-to power-boosting item because you could stack several of them on a team in a way you couldn't do with other items.
This, the gems ensured to many ohkoes and went around the item clause with ease on VGC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 9)